8 Training Camp Practices Open to Public

The Redskins have announced that training camp will begin July 30, with the following practices open to the public at 8:30 a.m.: July 30, July 31, Aug. 1, Aug. 2, Aug. 4, Aug. 5, and Aug. 6.

Fan Appreciation Day is Aug. 8 with individual drills at 1:20 and an intra-squad scrimmage at 2.

Parking lots will open about 90 minutes before the scheduled start of practice and gates will open about one hour before.

By Cindy Boren  |  June 4, 2009; 12:01 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fletcher, Sellers Are on the OTA Scene
Next: Zorn: Landry Hasn't Returned Calls

Comments

Betts is a guy who had ONE good year out of seven after being selected in the 2nd round.

Posted by: TheCork | June 4, 2009 11:57 AM

Cork, to be fair Betts isn't a 2nd rounder that didn't pan out. He's a guy that got replaced by a "name" guy when Portis b*tched his way out of Denver. I still believe that if Gibbs had come in here and played a season with what he had on offense, this team would have been better off. I think you would have seen Betts have more seasons like the one in 2006 after Portis got hurt and the team would have one less mammoth salary on its books right now.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 4, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Whoa...I haven't been first in a long time!

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 4, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

If they can get the same production from Betts at half the price then why not.

Im not saying, Im just sayin

Posted by: CheyenneWY | June 4, 2009 12:11 PM

Well, I'm saying that take is loco. If Betts could've produced like Portis those, it would have been showed...

BW26 - Gibbs 2.1 1st objective was to find a starting RB. So, he obviously looked at Betts as a Ricky Irvin/or the other dude next to Riggo. But he wanted a Riggo, which Betts was not....

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 4, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

i would go if it wasn't out in the s-hole known as Ashburn.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 4, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

I'll go back to what I said last year. Portis starts 12 games, Betts starts 4. I think we'd get more production. A fresh Betts is a better than a beaten down Portis. And while Portis can play 16 games, he definitely gets beaten down
Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 4, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

What do you mean by "start" I like it if Starter= 20 carries backup=10

Posted by: alex35332 | June 4, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Betts was amazing while Portis was out. I dont think its nuts to think he can do waht Portis can do (at this stage of his career). Portis has not been a feature back and it seems (to me) like he drops at first contact.

Posted by: CheyenneWY | June 4, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

i would go if it wasn't out in the s-hole known as Ashburn.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 4, 2009 12:26 PM

S-HOLE...? that's funny.
Probably one of the cleanest, nicest places in the DC/Metro area.

Posted by: saltine182 | June 4, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

CheyenneWY:
If he's not dropping, he's stumbling, and I think that comes from him running too low because he's trying to run with as much power and leverage as possible.(Trying to be a power back when his body was meant to be a slasher/speed back) Just my opinion.

Posted by: 72Redskins | June 4, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

(Channeling in my inner Greg)

Talking about Betts 1,000 yard season = We should have resigned Antonio Pierce

It was 2006 for crying out loud! And we didn't make the playoffs!

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 4, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Alex, I mean the feature back for that game. RBs get into grooves, so have 1 back be the feature back for that game. Lets look at your scenario, 20 carries for the start, 10 for the backup.

Over the season, it means Portis for 320 carries, Betts for 160. Under my approach (12 games feature CP the others feature Betts), its Portis for 280, Betts for 200.

But lets look at what happened last year. Portis 342 carries and Betts 61.

That's 21 carries for the feature back and 4 carries for the backup, per game.

Using those numbers with 12 games Portis and 4 games Betts as feature backs, I get:
Portis 268
Betts 132

Which is actually the 2:1 ratio you suggested.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 4, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

CheyenneWY:

Posted by: 72Redskins | June 4, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Agreed, but that is what the Redskins do, play people out of their natural positions. Portis generally does well in the zone blocking scheme, where as we are built more for the power run game. Not a fan of the Jason Taylor trade, but when he got here they should have put him at his natural position, not plugged a hole.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | June 4, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

gatorskinz2:

They should have put him over on Carter's side and moved Carter to right DE.I think Taylor had much more notoriety at left end than Carter and should have been given that respect. Dumb move on the coaching staff.

As far as Portis, by the team converting him to a power back it has succesfully broken him down, another dumb move, but with our Skins, what else is new?

Posted by: 72Redskins | June 4, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

tsrif

Posted by: dcsween | June 4, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

By Cindy Boren | June 4, 2009; 12:01 PM ET

We need some investigative journalism on this point, specifically, are they going to lock at the 2008 training camp parking rates?

Posted by: dcsween | June 4, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse