Letters from Burgundy-and-Gold Past

The Washington Post Magazine this Sunday features a story by Samu Qureshi and Valerie Grissom, who've amassed a treasure-trove of Redskins memorabilia and, specifically, share the letters of Sammy Baugh and George Marshall.

There's some interesting stuff in these letters -- private letters from Baugh to his wife and letters from Marshall seeking games in places like Terre Haute -- that brings the old NFL into focus. For instance, in 1948, Baugh wrote his wife:

Dearest Mona,

We arrived in Wash. 8:30 A.M. today, and you never saw such a crippled group get off a train. Hope everyone can get right by Sept. 26 when we open against Pitt.

Dick Todd is O.K. but he still has headaches if he moves too much. Hope he can play by the 26th.

The Touchdown Club gave the team a luncheon today at the Statler -- it was a nice affair and I hope we can reciprocate by playing some good ball here this year. We took quite a drubbing from Green Bay 43-0. Guess the Bears will do the same to us Sept. 19 in Baltimore.

It's nice to get back to Washington -- seems we have been riding a train for ages ...

The paper (I await your snarky comments) will be available Saturday and Sunday in fine stores across the region. It would be nice if you bought a copy, but of course you can always read the story online and watch the video.

By Cindy Boren  |  July 31, 2009; 1:30 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Random Observations at Redskins Park
Next: Devin Thomas's Big Chance

Comments

Posted by: SkinsFanCT7 | July 31, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Peter King:

2. Look for Albert Haynesworth to have the chance to be more disruptive this year than he was in Tennessee. Talked to well-respected defensive coordinator Greg Blache after the second workout of the day, and he told me Haynesworth would likely move from the inside to end in some passing downs. If that's the case, I asked, would offenses have to face the 350-pound Haynesworth bull-rushing from one side and the lithe Brian Orakpo rushing from the opposite ... on maybe a third of the snaps per game. "Maybe,'' Blache said with a big smile. "Maybe. We'll see.'' It only makes sense to spread those guys out and let offenses figure out who to double.

Wide receiver Malcolm Kelly's shoes. I've never seen fluorescent yellow shoes on anyone before -- not on an athlete or a 16-year-old girl going to her junior prom -- but he wore them well today at practice. Look for Kelly, a disappointing second-round pick a year ago, to press hard for the starting job alongside Santana Moss, but the early returns make it appear that Devin Thomas is ahead in competition for the second spot. He was flying in individual pass drills against corners in the morning, catching two balls deep, one on a perfect throw from Jason Campbell.
On the menu

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 31, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Ahhh, Italics are attacking!

Posted by: Zeebs | July 31, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

I didn't say that but I sure as sh!t wouldn't have turned myself into an accomplice by taking the gun and driving it across state lines. Which, by the way, the Feds could charge him with. To your other point. I'm pretty careful about who I choose to hang out with. No one I know would have been stupid enough to pull this crap in the first place. Be careful who you associate with. If you choose to hang with morons you subject yourself to moronities such as this.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 31, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Fair enough. But in that state of panic, and I can't claim to know what Pierce was thinking, but I don't think he was cognizant of the fact that what he was doing was a crime. I just think he was trying to get his friend out of a jam. Wasn't the brightest thing to do, but people commit alot more heinous crimes then that and get less time.

Posted by: ga8085 | July 31, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

CINDY BOREN, PLEASE HAVE JASON LA CANFORAS NAME REMOVED FROM THE TOP OF THE MAIN PAGE OF REDSKINS INSIDER.

Posted by: X--E | July 31, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ga8085 | July 31, 2009 1:37 PM

Well I certainly agree with the last part of that and I can buy the first part.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 31, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Plus, these guys have been around these issues long enough to know what's at stake.

Now, he may not have known the particulars of Jail Time involved, but he sure knew it was wrong.

Camp75 & GA, it seems like you have a problem with the law's requirement of manditory jail time. That's already on the books. The public wanted it - there it is...

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 31, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

XE; clear you cookies, it has been

Posted by: Zeebs | July 31, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 31, 2009 1:50 PM

I don't have a problem with it. I'm for lockin' his azz up.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 31, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Is it just me or is the blog all italicized.

Posted by: alex35332 | July 31, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Pierce = jailbird

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 31, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Lol

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 31, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

XE; clear you cookies, it has been

Posted by: Zeebs | July 31, 2009 1:50 PM

I ate a bad oyster for lunch and boy did I clear my cookies.

Jasno's name still appears on the "we're holding your dirty message hostage" page. Maybe I'm the only one who knows that.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 31, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

DikShuttle and scampbell1975

Ya'll both make good points. I guess if Pierce was well aware of the situation and it was a cover-up on his part, then he should be implemented. But my personal opinion is that Pierce didn't know anything about the gun or that it was unregistered, and after he did find out about it, made a stupid decision in the heat of the moment. And as far as mandatory jail time, that usually only applies to regular folk so I don't think Pierce will get any significant time for his part.

Posted by: ga8085 | July 31, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

m'bad, 75.

I actually think the penalty is harsh, I'm just glad I'm not in NY w/ a gun! lol.

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 31, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

"Why would he do it if he didn't know it was a crime?! The whole point of the action was a cover up..."

I'm sure he knew it was a crime for Plaxico to have an unregistered gun...not so sure he knew (or realized) that he would be considered the same by transporting it.

Posted by: psps23 | July 31, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Can anyone link to the statute they are prosecuting them under? It would probably help if I had any idea what I was talking about... lmao!

I know - it usually doesn't stop me... heh.

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 31, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

I don't think Pierce will get any significant time for his part.

Posted by: ga8085 | July 31, 2009 2:00 PM |

New York justice is simple. Lemme splain it to ya. If the DA's a 'Skins fan, Pierce gets 20 years in the Big House. If the DA owned stock in Six Flags, Pierce gets a Special Commendation from the Mayor.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 31, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

I wish I had more friends like Antonio Pierce in my corner.

That's a true friend. He's willing to take a charge, to help out his boy. That's a rare find these days, most dudes would just roll on you.

Just ask Michael Vick.

If you don't know about situations, or similar situations like the one Pierce and Burress have then you can't appreciate what Pierce did.

Posted by: RedDMV | July 31, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ga8085 | July 31, 2009 2:00 PM

Hey man, you are certainly entitled to your opinion. I can agree to disagree. As to the mandatory time, I'll guess we'll have to wait and see how that one turns out. It's a little odd that these 2 are even testifying in front of a grand jury. Buress can't help himself (if the law is adhered to) he can only convict himself. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense for Pierce to even be there unless he's rolling on Burress to save his own azz. He hasn't even been charged.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 31, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

psp,

Ok - I give up, if that logic is failing, he didn't know, he didn't know...

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 31, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Red;

That is just dumb. Peirce might cost himself a new contract to help out someone who probably would have rolled on him.

Does he have a family? If so he sure did not think of them first.

Posted by: Zeebs | July 31, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Cerrato actually talks to an RI peep!!!

If Zorn doesn't work out, I hope Blatche becomes our next HC.

Posted by: charley42 | July 31, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone read the Insider article on Vick going to Washington on ESPN today?

What's it say? Please tell me there's nothing to it.

Posted by: Devo2 | July 31, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

I wish I had more friends like Antonio Pierce in my corner.

Just ask Michael Vick.

Posted by: RedDMV | July 31, 2009 2:04 PM

Who's to say he ain't rollin' now? Read my above post.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 31, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Not to mention jail time.

When your boy does something stupid, it does not make it valiant to follow suit just to prove your friend status. A true friend would have told Pierce to not get involved. Pierce did something stupid, plain and simple.

And i have been around situations like that just for reference.

Posted by: Zeebs | July 31, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

How can you cover for a guy who was stupid enough to shoot his self in the leg? Yes, it was against the law, but the sheer stupidity of the action surpasses the law in saying this guy needs to be put away until he gets some sense. And, if Antonio Pierce tried to cover for him, then AP is just as guilty... and just as stupid.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | July 31, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

"If he knew Plax had a gun and it was illegal, then wouldn't he know if HE had the SAME GUN, that would be illegal too?!"

Ownership vs. temporary possession. Seems that it would be pretty easy to convince yourself one is more serious than the other.

Also, logic doesn't really run clean when you're taking your professional athlete teammate and crucial member of your team's success to a private doctor because he shot himself in the leg midseason. Pretty easy to lose focus in that situation.

Posted by: psps23 | July 31, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | July 31, 2009 2:14 PM

Let's be honest here, logic doesn't really run clean when your talking Plaxico Burress or Antonio Pierce. Neither one of them are very bright.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 31, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | July 31, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Good point.

Posted by: ga8085 | July 31, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 31, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

LOL! Better point!

Posted by: ga8085 | July 31, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

What a covoluted situation. Sounds like some bad sitcom premise.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 31, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

I heard Vinny say that you can expect to see D. Hall and others returning punts this year. Sounded like maybe ARE is done there.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 31, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like ARE is done in most his spots.

Posted by: alex35332 | July 31, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Malcolm Kelly says no problems with the knee after 2 days. He's just not where he wants to be on a few routes.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 31, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 31, 2009 2:25 PM

That's because he's hopping on one leg to keep his other knee from swelling up again.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 31, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Only decent part of this practice for the offense was the 1-on-1 drills, WRs vs DBs.

- Malcolm Kelly vs D Hall is sooooo fun to watch. They try to out do each other every time it seems, but today, I think MK won the battle. Malcolm ran a corner post rout on D Hall, and JC floated on perfectly towards the middle of the end zone. We all know how fast D Hall is, but on this play, MK ran by him and beat D Hall to the ball for a long TD.

- Santana ABUSED Kevin Barnes on one rep today. I mean if it were on tv, Barnes wouldn't even be in the picture.

- Devin Thomas stood out again to me today, making some great catches over the middle from JC. He seems determined to keep, and prove that he deserves that #2 spot. He seems very comfortable there.

- Cooley and Fred Davis looked good again. Fred Davis seems quicker and has some better footwork than last year. He could be dangerous in the open field.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 31, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like ARE is done in most his spots.

Posted by: alex35332 | July 31, 2009 2:24 PM

Now they'll put him back in the slot which is what they signed him to play.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 31, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

- Get ready for this ladies and gents!! OUR PASS RUSH WAS AWESOME TODAY!!! It seemed our DL was getting to the QB on every play. Big Al was getting some ridiculous push up the middle today, would have had a sack or 2. Andre Carter got loose on the outside getting to the QB a couple of times.

- Jeremy Jarmon made his presence felt out there today. Getting around the edge a couple of times. On one play, he got to the QB VERY quickly. I mean he tapped the QB on the but, ran by him, and THEN the QB got rid of the ball. He's lookin good out there.

- Alfred Fincher played hot patato with Cooley today. It was a short pass that Cooley had to reach for. Cooley tried to tip it to himself and real it in, but Fincher came in on the fun. Those two had to tip the ball up about 4 time before Fincher finally got a grasp of it for the INT, which he turned up field.

- Carlos Rogers had a pick today from a JC pass intended for Malcolm Kelly. Malcolm ran about a 10 yard comeback route to the outside. But Los was right on it the whole time and cut under Malcolm for the pick, getting his feet in before he got out of bounds.

- LaRon got in on the 1-on-1 fun. He took on the receiver who ran a go route on him. It seemed LaRon had PERFECT coverage on him. Had good inside leverage, got his head around, and jumped up for the ball, almost bringing in an interception, but broke up that pass.

- Chris Wilson seemed to get more reps at the SLB position. Either he's getting more comfortable with it, or the coaches are. Either way, he looked pretty natural out there with the other LBs. I mean if he's trying to do some of the things they expect Orakpo to be able to do, that has to be a good thing.

- Smoot and Tryon didn't get tested that much, on their reps the WR mainly ran short routes. They were always there in position for the tackle though.

- K. Barnes had an alright practice. He almost pulled in an INT on a deep out route. Kevin laid out for it, but it went just off his finger tips. He again showed good coverage on the deep ball, he seems to be coming along.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 31, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Pierce was definitely involved in trying to cover things up...whether he knew it was an "illegal" coverup is a different issue.

I remember reading how Pierce collected the gun and they jumped in his SUV and Pierce (or Plax) called a Giants trainer/med. staff person to ask what to do. THen they tried to set him up in a hospital under a fake name. They didn't call the cops and they didn't call an ambulance. They were obviously trying to keep things on the "hush". Whether they knoew the illegalities involved is different.

Sometimes laws do not require you to "know" that you are doing something illegal to be implicated.

Posted by: p1funk | July 31, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Those excerpts were from Extreme Skins

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 31, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Isn't it interesting how much of a wild card the pass-catching corp is? It could literally be a 2-man tandem again carrying the team, or it could actually go 6 deep (Moss, Cooley, Thomas, Kelly, ARE, Davis). The only team I think is close to that is New Orleans.

Posted by: psps23 | July 31, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Who's to say that Pierce isn't vouching for Burress -- maybe that's why he's facing the jury.

Zeebs, if you want to claim that Pierce is dumb for doing what he did given his situation then you have no argument from me. Family is always first.

But the situation(s) I've been involved in there were no immediate families involved. It was: "Yeah, you f'd up, but we're going to fix this one way -- or the other."

Again, yeah Pierce misplaced his head on the thing with Burress. But the dude's heart was in the right place.

Too many dudes out here swear that there this and that, but have NO heart at all to back it up.

Posted by: RedDMV | July 31, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

"OUR PASS RUSH WAS AWESOME TODAY!!! It seemed our DL was getting to the QB on every play."

...trying to figure out how I feel about this...

Posted by: p1funk | July 31, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

it is sort of two fold isn't it, p1funk? i thought the same thing.

Posted by: RedDMV | July 31, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

...trying to figure out how I feel about this...
Posted by: p1funk | July 31, 2009 2:34 PM |

Hopefully this year it’s legit and our o-line, while not looking so great in practicve, will be all the better for it come game time……JC17 too!

Posted by: dlhaze1 | July 31, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

lol, p1funk.

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 31, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | July 31, 2009 2:33 PM

He could be trying to do that but this is a Grand Jury not a trial jury. Here's the deal, a Grand Jury determines if there is enough evidence to indict period. All they look at is available facts. The facts to induct Burress are already there. He had a gun, he fired it, ballistics were matched from the bullet in his leg (snicker) to the firearm, said firearm is unlicensed. Burress shouldn't have even testified so why would Pierce? The evidence for Burress is already there? Now it's a question of whether the Grand Jury decided to obey the law. And they will. So what could Pierce possibly do unless he's looking out for his own azz? He has a lawyer. No lawyer is dumb enough to set his client in front of a grand jury for someone else that he really can't help while at the same time giving his own client a chance to slip up and incriminate himself.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 31, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

I wish our D-Line could practice against a decent o-line so they could get quality reps!

Posted by: chrislarry | July 31, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Why would there be any 'snarky' remarks? Nice letter....

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 31, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

I laughed at how Plex through himself at the Grand Jury asking for mercy....being that IS NOT THE JOB OF A GRAND JURY!

Talk about suspect legal advice.

If his lawyer had done this:

"Listen Plex, lets plea, you take some offseason jail time...maybe spread over two winters and some house arrest. We will let the DA's office brag and you wont miss anything other than a few OTAs...which you would have skipped anyway"

He would be in Giants training camp right now.

Posted by: chrislarry | July 31, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Yeah I didnt get that either....

Posted by: chrislarry | July 31, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Cindy,

This post is to Redskins Training Camp what watching The Golden Girls would be to an erection.

Me

Posted by: isnadd | July 31, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

I just watched the Orakpo interview and he really looks and sounds like a killer. Hope he plays like one.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 31, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

isnadd, you love Golden girls too?

Posted by: Zeebs | July 31, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Betty White is smokin ;)

Posted by: Zeebs | July 31, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

I think Cyn's waiting for snarky comments for her pimping the "Paper edition"...

Posted by: 4-12 | July 31, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

RE: Burress & Pierce

I think we all can agree on that this is some wild sh*t, it'll be interesting to see how it plays out, and glad that it doesn't have nothing to do with the 'skins.

I just don't see Pierce giving the DA any more evidence then what they already have. Really don't see the dude rolling on Burress.

But of course, I could be wrong.

Posted by: RedDMV | July 31, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Looks like the ahternoon practice is delayed.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 31, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

From a previous thread:

Why should Pierce get off lighter than Buress? They're both just as guilty as the other... Pierce maybe even more so, 'cause he participated in an obvious cover up attempt, wheras Buress just shot himself like a dumb SJK.

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 31, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

If my facts are correct, Burress put a loaded gun into the waistband of a pair of sweats that he was wearing, and then went to a public area, thereby endangering anyone who happened to be in the vicinity when the gun accidently discharged. Pierce took hid friend to the hospital, and then returned the gun to Burress' residence. Both appear to be guilty of possession of an unlicenced firearm, but the circumstances surrounding their respective "possessions" are significantly different.

And what was Pierce supposed to do with the gun? Let Burress take it into the hospital? Leave it in his car, where any passer-by could have taken it? Maybe in an ideal world, where everybody obeys the letter of every law, he turns it, and Burress, in to the police. But I have to say that I can understand why he wouldn't want to help a friend and (at that time) a teammate get arrested for a felony that got him kicked off the team, suspended by the NFL, and could result in substantial jail time.

I'm not saying that Pierce should get off scot-free. I am saying that what he apparently did was not as egregious as Burress' actions, and that I don't consider his returning the gun to Burress' house to be a "cover-up."

Posted by: rbpalmer | July 31, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rbpalmer | July 31, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

It's definitely some crazy shti.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 31, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

I'm re-reading the article here:

And it looks like the manditory time is only for a illegal posession of a LOADED weapon. That could exonorate (erate?) Pierce from a jail sentence if indeed the weapon was not loaded when he had it. I stand corrected.

Ownership is not an issue though, posession is.

My guess is, the Buress Defense will plead down to the 2 year sentence and then appeal the sentence on some kind of constitutional or cruel & unusual basis.

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 31, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

From WaPo: "Orakpo 'Relieved' He Can Focus on Football". Was he as relieved as the "behind the tree" guy who did it within 10 ft. of the portopotty?

Posted by: FreekyGeeky | July 31, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

All we need to do is wait for the new season of Law & Order…..only it will be Paul Burriss, star pitcher for the New York Tigers who shot himself in the foot, and his buddy, starting shortstop Anthony Pearson hid the gun and drove him to the hospital. We will then find out indeed what Jack McCoy would do and what the maximum charges and sentences can be.

And beep beep

Posted by: dlhaze1 | July 31, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Said it before and will say it again. Haynesworth will help our O-line more than any free agent guard or tackle. Practicing against that beast all season should theoretically make every other opponent easy.

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 31, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

WaPo magazine is only good for laughing at the emotionally crippled mutants in Date Lab.

Although that cover story about the doofus with the rotting teeth and bi-polar babymama was pretty damn entertaining as well...

Posted by: McMetal | July 31, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse