A Heartfelt Good-bye

When we kicked this blog off just before the 2006 season, I'm not sure anyone had lofty expectations. I was eager and happy to explore a new forum to try to post breaking news as quickly as possible, share a little bit of myself and, best-case scenario, entertain on occasion. We ended up building a cool little community that became very dear to my heart. Sure, we had some dust-ups from time to time, but Redskins Insider became in some ways an extension of myself, and that the fact that so many of you guys put a little bit of yourselves into it has always blown me away, and always will. Even those who chose to use the comments section to blast me still took the time to write, and the readership, support and friendship so many of you granted me will always stay with me.

So it is not without sincere emotion that I tell you guys that I am moving on. My family and I recently made a decision to accept an offer from the NFL Network and NFL.com to become a part of their growing news-gathering and reporting organization. I know some of you may have read rumblings of this on the internet last week, and I wish I could have been the first to blog about it, but there were still some things being finalized last week and I wasn't in a position to say much until everything was official (being on the opposite side of a press release was one of the more bizarre experiences of my life).

Leaving this paper after 10 years was not easy, but the opportunities the NFL was extending to us were too overwhelming to pass up, and I am very thankful to NFLN for offering an expanding platform upon which to cover the league. I was incredibly flattered by their interest and I am equally excited to get to work for them and begin this next phase of my career after spending half of my 35 years on this planet writing for daily newspapers in one capacity or another.

My sincerest hope is that those of you who have taken the time to contact me over the years with questions or comments continue to do so. Getting to know people like Diddy and Nate and Jessica over the years has been a blessing, and too many of you have been far beyond generous in sharing your time and lives with me to name them all.

We won't be going too far, either. Lauren, Chloe, Rocco and I will be staying in the area as we begin this new journey, so we will be local and maybe we can hoist a pint or two again down the line. Just taking a guess here, but I think my new email will be jasno.lacanfora@nfl.com. (Ha, ha.)

The reality is that this whole thing here is way bigger than me. I was the messenger or conduit for a while, but this blog will continue to grow and flourish. Cindy Boren has invested too much in this endeavor for it not to, helping to cultivate and oversee RI, and with her you are in the best hands possible. My family and I owe her much, and will always be grateful and thankful to her.

And, I probably don't have a leg to stand on here, but if my word counts for anything, I think Jason Reid's name and likeness should be on this puppy ASAP. He is as good a person, and as dedicated and honorable a journalist as you will ever find, and the chance to work so closely with him these last few years has been one of the highlights of my career. There is no other candidate to take over this blog, in my estimation. The Mayor is as good as it gets and we hope to always be close to JReid and his beautiful family.

And to me, there is no better beat to cover, not just because of the passion, knowledge and ferocity of its fan base. The men who have played football and coached football for the Washington Redskins these past six years have been exemplary, more generous with their time and insight than I ever could have imagined. This organization is filled with great people, and getting to know them and tell their stories provided me with many of the salient moments of my professional career. Their courtesy will never be forgotten.

I owe so much to the many people who have helped me grow these past 10 years, and George Solomon, Emilio Garcia-Ruiz, Matt Vita, Tony Kornheiser and Mike Wilbon could not have been better friends and mentors. Jason Reid, Howard Bryant and Len Shapiro could not have been better partners and friends while covering this beat.

The Washington Post is the pinnacle of print journalism, and in my opinion always will be. Everyone should be as lucky as I was, to spend a decade working for the Graham family. It was an absolute pleasure and a joy.

Okay, guess I'll get out of the way for real news here, and start pondering what my log-in will be as I enter the fray in the comments (Ex-Sourcerer?) section from here on. My sincerest thanks to all of you, and all the best to you.

Cheers.

By Jason La Canfora  |  June 1, 2009; 1:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: OTA Day 1 Roll Call (Updated)
Next: Orakpo 'Still Trying to Get Acclimated' at LB

Comments

Best wishes, Jason! Much luck to you at the new post!

Posted by: Anonynonandon | May 31, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

First! No, I mean, Last!

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 31, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations Jason. Get NFLN to give the Redskins some love.

Posted by: Wonsapnatm | May 31, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

On behalf of myself, all the other "fine folk" on RI, and William Shatner on SNL let me just say "Get a LIFE!"

Posted by: TheCork | May 31, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Noted. Can anyone twitter the above for me?

Posted by: SMACK1 | May 31, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Good luck Jason. If nothing else, the posts/discussion volume/content on Redskins Insider far and away exceeds those on the other washingtonpost.com sports page. It's nice to be able to read about the Redskins in May from 2500 miles away.

Posted by: PeteinAZ | May 31, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Jasno,

I think all of us regulars -- even those who pound on you the hardest -- are indebted to you for bringing us together. Redskins Insider: "Come for the football, stay for the jibba jabba." It won't be the same shabingus without you.

Hope your new job is everything you're expecting.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 31, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Thank you for all of the memories Jason. You were one of my favorite players and a heck of a Redskin. Good luck in Detroit. Your leadership and line play will be missed.

Posted by: krichardson7777 | May 31, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

This moment brought to you by the fine folks at Hallmark.

Posted by: SMACK1 | May 31, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

JLA,

You need to let us know what your login name will be, so that you can come back up here and we can rip you like old times.

Posted by: p1funk | May 31, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

JLC

Go get 'im Tiger. Thanks for busting hump, the excellent reporting, and mostly for holding the Redskins FO's feet to the fire. I'm sure they are toasting your departure with champagne. Might as well, they won't be busting open bottles of the bubbly for any other celebration, the way they run things these days.

Reid would be a nice choice. Whoever it is, the only danger to RI and the Redskins, is if they get a house flack, a newspaper variant of Larry Michaels in the misguided belief that's the way to get back in the Redskins good graces.

Do that, and it will be like shoveling more dirt on the grave of newspapering. I'd like to think Ms. Boren will assure that doesn't happen.

Be curious to see if they cover your departure with the same journalistic chops they have the tampering probe.

I hope to Hades your decision was all voluntary. If not, the Terrorists win.

I've been watching NFL Net a lot and they do a good, if not spectacular job to date. Rich Eisen is first rate, Marshall Faulk does good work, but the overabundance of Deion hurts the cred. Too many cowboy and cowboy coverage. Hell, it'sbecoming "America's Network" in that sense.

Friday I watched their flagship show to see what might be said about jansen, or you know, the NFL, and saw the first 10 minutes of the show truned over to speculation about Bret Favre.

I worked in TV long enough to recognize the stench of "consultant-think" and focus group-powered management.

Good luck in future endeavors. I'd love to see how many resumes get submitted by your critics here.

Posted by: TheCork | May 31, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Congrats Jason! Wish you much success at NFLN. Hopefully the person who takes over RI is as dedicated as you were. When all is said and done you kept us skins fiends fixed and we thank you for that. All the best!

Posted by: Gworld | May 31, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

I've worked in TV longer than Cork, if it's possible to do anything, ever, more than Cork has. I'm starting to have my doubts.

Cindy should take over the blog. Hot, brilliant, snarky. What more could you ask? Vinny would surrender all of his secrets.

Posted by: SMACK1 | May 31, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Just want to take a moment to say what a privilege (and a blast) it has been to work with Jason "Jasno" La Canfora, who is without a doubt one of the most dedicated, indefatigable journalists I've ever worked with. I'll miss him and wish him all the best!

Posted by: CindyBoren | May 31, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Good luck Jason.

Posted by: edvar | May 31, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Good Luck Jasno! Thanks for creating this community that has helped us Skins fans living far away become addicted to bloggin' on the interweb. Oh, and getting some Skins news too!

Posted by: Curzon417 | May 31, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, JLC. I appreciate your work on this blog, and I secretly cheered you on as Vinny Ceratto continued to fail upwards in the Skins hierarchy.

Hopefully, you casting light on some of the poor personnel moves and decisions by the front office (I'm looking at you, Vinny!) has played a positive role in making the front office realize they will be held accountable by some.

I hope whoever takes over this beat is just as tenacious as you were in holding the FO accountable.

Posted by: Alan4 | May 31, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Congrats Jason! You're going to rock the new beat. And hopefully it will bring you out to Seattle more often. :-)

Posted by: PDiddy | May 31, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Good luck Jason, I always appreciated your hard work and dedication to your blog and I read it all the time, If you bring the same sense of excellence and hard work to the NFL network than they got themselves a great addition. I hope to see you on the WP forums keeping it real when it comes to the Redskins. The one thing I hate more than their obvious lack of success on the field is Mr. Snyder's attempt to buy up all the media that concerns the Redskins and silencing credible guys like Brian Mitchell with no talent shills ala Larry Michael. The Redskins front office reminds me of the Third Reich, Snyder as Adolf Hitler, Vinny Ceratto as Heinrich Himmler and Larry Michaels as the minister of propaganda Joseph Gobbles. Their only two jobs are to preach the infallibly of Dan Snyder and report that things are great at Redskin park. Dissenters will not be tolerated and are quickly stuffed in train cars and sent out of town to parts unknown.

Posted by: crazyhorse19682003 | May 31, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

It was only a matter of time before someone equated Jasno's departure to the holocaust.

Posted by: SMACK1 | May 31, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Great news for you and the family, Jason. Best of luck to you! Your hard work and dedication were always appreciated... even if not always agreeably so.

Now that I am a Portland resident (BucktownSkinsFanInThePDX rolls off the tongue, don't it?), and have to use Comcast, get the NFLN to settle so I can watch you dominate that network.

Also, tell Eisen I said "Go Blue!"

Posted by: BucktownSkinsFan | May 31, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Good luck, Jason. I didn't always agree with your point of view, but I think you did a great job reporting on the Redskins front office foibles and occasional acts of sensibility.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | May 31, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: krichardson7777 | May 31, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

I guess when you read you don't comprehend. The person that the story is referring to is the writer of the blog. NOT JON JANSEN.

Posted by: CaptObvious | May 31, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations, Jason! I really wish you the best.

I love the NFL Network and feel this is a great opporunity.

Please try to be kind to us (Redskins:)

Also, please thank Rod Woodson for me regarding his support of Art Monk over the years - Rod was continually stating that Art should be in the HOF and was pretty disgusted every year when he did not make it. So please give Rod a great big "Thank you." He is a class act.

Posted by: Lisa_R | May 31, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Well, the tone here is far more positive than I imagined so I guess I should follow suit:

Best of luck, JLC. And don't let the door hit you in ass on the way out.

Hey, I tried...

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 31, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Best of luck Jasno! As a Skins fan in CA, you made keeping up on the latest news from a distance easy and entertaining! Gonna miss ya!

Posted by: dtcohen1 | June 1, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Good Job Jasno...and best of luck to the new keeper of the RI.

Posted by: CheyenneWY | June 1, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

And so it is back, as mysteriously as it disappeared.

Is someone going to explain the 18 hour gap?

Rosemary Woods, RIP.

Posted by: TheCork | June 1, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

SMACK, this is a wistfully sad day. Not Leigh-Torrence-gone wistfully sad, but wistfully sad nonetheless.

WAY TO GO JASNO! I'm all about get paid more and having a wider audience. Next stop, Monday Night Football!

Posted by: dcsween | June 1, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Congrats JLAC! I wish you nothing but the best! Thanks for everything you have done for me........

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 1, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

From the previous thread ...

"We haven't spotted these guys yet, which doesn't mean they're absent, but that we either haven't seen them or they aren't on the field yet: ... LaRon Landry ...."

LaRon Landry is endured, not seen. Find him quick, or let your body go limp ... it will hurt less.

Posted by: dcsween | June 1, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Hail Jasno
Hail RI ThRedskins
Hail NFLN

...Hail FRESH MEAT!!!

Jason thanks for the opportunity to blather & jibba jabba. And thanks to you & CynCyty & WaPo/RI for some of the most hilarious material of the last 3 years!!

Hail the perfection that is LEIGH TORRENCE!

...maps...

Posted by: DikShuttle | June 1, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

All the best JLC, you're the best.

Posted by: skindiddy | June 1, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Jasno. Good luck dude.

Posted by: Rypien11 | June 1, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

JLC, I've enjoyed reading every post. Thanks for all your hardwork. Good luck @ NFLN.

Posted by: AShock | June 1, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Leigh Torrence for RI Beat Reporter!!!!

Posted by: REDneckSKINhead | June 1, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Congrats Jasno!
Will miss reading your blog and seeing you on Comcast but I am sure you will be great on NFL network.

Posted by: bbtgrl | June 1, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

JLC, you punk, you now work for Mr. Snyder?
In the end, one day I think my company will somehow be bought by a Snyder company and we will all end up working for Mr Snyder.

Posted by: redskins11 | June 1, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

I vote Laron Landry to take the place of Dos Equis "most interesting man in the world" title.

Posted by: CheyenneWY | June 1, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

JLa,
This is bitter sweet my man. Thanks so much for being the Redskins Insider. You will be missed greatly! It's been a great ride and I hope that the next chapter of your career takes you to the top. You have been solid as a beat reporter in one of the most difficult and critical environments out there. You took almost as much heat as who ever the quarterback has been over the past couple of years. My hats off to you and thanks again for all the good memories!

Posted by: go88car | June 1, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CindyBoren | May 31, 2009 1:40 PM

This is a little different from the way she told it at the shabingus. I'm betting that once Jasno is out of the building we'll hear a more candid take on "the real Jasno La Canfora."

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 1, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

It would be a welcome change of pace if the new RI dude was someone who was into X's and O's, someone who actually watched film and could offer a "coach's eye" perspective of what was going on with such things as why the offense struggles in the red zone, etc. Anyway, best of luck to you JCL, we enjoyed your posts even if we didn't always agree with them and look forward to seeing you in your new job.

Posted by: AntonChigurh | June 1, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Good luck man with your new career... I visit this blog everyday.. Even when i know aint crap going on... And thats a testiment on how much you made me luv this blog... :)

Posted by: cocodc1 | June 1, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Cindy's still working to make Jasno look good. She went back and changed the "ip" to "up." Someone at NFL.com has their work cut out for them.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 1, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

If you put 1/100th the effort into writing insightful, fan-oriented columns (positive or negative, as long as they are informative) versus your obvious penchant for the dramatic we would all be better off. As it stands now, I will return to reading this column versus going elsewhere for my Skins "inside" info (The NFC East chat on ESPN even has you beat by miles). Let's all hope JReid takes over.

You got what you wanted pal, a bigtime gig, and at the expense of providing your local community with absolutely no value. I guess sizzle does sell these days, congrats on accomplishing what you set out to do - get paid by the big boys.

I will give you kudos for one thing - we all know newspaper is dying and WaPo is no exception - making the jump to TV without stating the obvious reasons showed tact, albeit rare and self-serving.

Good luck JLa, I think you'll find at the next level you either bring the facts and REAL inside info (versus the fiction you have created here for years) like Schefter did, or you'll be the beat reporter for the Frederick Keys in no time.

Posted by: CantwaittoseeJLCgo | June 1, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the best blog for Redskins info!

Good Luck!

Posted by: SmallPen15 | June 1, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for all your work, JLC. Best of luck at your new job.

Posted by: Joe_in_Raleigh | June 1, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Thanks JLC for all of your hard work and dedication to this blog (and print articles). Good luck at NFL network. If I may ask one favor; please tell them to show more old Redskins games for the “NFL Classics” that they re-broadcast. I am very tired of seeing an old cowboys game every week. Thanks again and good luck!

Posted by: dlhaze1 | June 1, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Jason.... don't know you but I feel like I'm on a first name basis with you anyways, hahahaha... Always loved Redskins Insider, your reporting, your honesty, the way you put what you saw as the truth out there regardless of what anyone said. Never posted on here before cause I didn't feel a need to, but now that you're leaving got to say goodbye. Can't say I'm not a little sad, but like you said Jason Reid will do a hell of a job with it and I'm happy for you and your family. Guess I got to start going to nfl.com.

Posted by: ccasros | June 1, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

It has felt inevitable for some time that Jasno would move on, just because of the patterns we all can see: print media/old media ceding territory to new media, the migration of sports reporting talent to the big players... but that doesn't make it more palatable.

Congratulations to Jasno, and a big dollop of THANKS for this ridiculous, wonderful blog and the community and ongoing conversation it spawned.

Hail to the Redskins. Hail to the blog!

Posted by: NateinthePDX | June 1, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Congrats Jasno, thanks for the hard work and updates. Good luck with your new opportunity.

I have to say, everytime I emailed Jasno a question, he always responded and I greatly appreciate it.

Good luck!

Posted by: mhartz1 | June 1, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Best wishes to JLC. I don't know what to compare this to... The End of "Cheers" the final episode of "M*A*S*H" I think its closest too the end of "Wrath of Kahn". Of all the souls I have ever known. His was most human.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 1, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Question:

Can we count on a few GUEST BLOGS from Jasno to rile the rabble??

that would be AWESMOE!

Posted by: DikShuttle | June 1, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Looks like I'll have to change my username. We have been waiting for this day for a long time. You have been useless to this fanbase and nothing more than a peddler of far-fetched conspiracy theories and dramatic soap-opera nonsense...

Cantwaittoseejlcgo?

How about changing it to your real name, Larry?

The best thing about RI? You get to see real psychosis in action. Don't know where this hate comes from, the sad Shadenfreud, this bitter pettiness, that provides these thoughts as a prson heads out the door.

Like JLC's last column disappearing, it's a mystery that will likely nevr be solved. Sigh.

Posted by: TheCork | June 1, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Cork, I give it 2 weeks before we see people clamoring for JReid or whover takes over to be fired. Some folks up here, and everywhere on the interweb post only to hate. Seems to make them feel like big men.....

Posted by: dlhaze1 | June 1, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Best wishes Jason. Thanks for the good and the bad because I am always entertained by this blog that you helped get started.

Posted by: TWISI | June 1, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Good Luck JLac!

Posted by: AllThatSkins | June 1, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

the number of comments on here will be cut in half. 1 out of 2 for the past couple years has been blasting jasno. good luck JLC, your work here was appreciated.

Posted by: toohoes | June 1, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

JASNO......,

Thanks for making this a great forum for all of our comments.... even if Cork and T_E are knuckleheads from time to time....:-) Good luck in your endeavors.

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | June 1, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

JLC - you will be missed for all of the hard work and excellent reporting you did for the Post over the years. Best of luck to you and your family as you continue your career with the NFL Network. You'll leave some big shoes to be filled on the Redskins Insider even for those who have bashed you over the years.

Posted by: wizfan89 | June 1, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

I really have enjoyed reading your Redskins blog. I look forward to reading your NFL reporting in whatever capacity that you publish it. Good Luck to you and your family!

Posted by: BeltwayBoy | June 1, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for all the great stories and bad ones. Maybe u can still push for some xtra redskins insider info through the nfln. Thanks for everything

Posted by: Tmartin2621 | June 1, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Jason,
I hope that you end up coming back to the forum from time to time as a one of us.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 1, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

"One in 10 of your posts actually provides thoughtful, inside information that answers questions for fans outside the walls of Redskins Park."

I think the math is wrong here.

It's calculated by the same people want to slurp up the burgandy 'n gold cyanide-laced kool aid and not read the truth about the team, so they hate on anyone who does.

I've read this blog for two years before I began posting, and I think most of the time, Canfora only stated the obvious: that the Washington Redskins are a deep-pocketed team with a fractured management structure.

The Redskins are a storied team with a great fanbase and an owner whose arrogant clutches on the team's talent acquistition philosophies have often damned it with overpaid underperfroming players and bad contracts while occasionally improving it: the essence of mediocrity.

That's what Canfora wrote about: the truth.

If the franchise had somehow strung together deep playoff runs, been creative and selective in free agency, and drafted well, Canfora wouldn't have an argument over the past 3 years.

But the team didn't, and so, he does.

Or at least, he used to.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 1, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Good riddance.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | June 1, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

If only you were replacing Emit Smith

Posted by: alex35332 | June 1, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

DING DONG THE WITCH IS DEAD!!!!!!

Finally!

Hopefully Jason Reid will bring back unbiased journalism to this "Insider" blog.

NFLN will soon realize their mistake and boot J Ca Ca out the door. If you pull the same bush league stuff you pulled here you'll be a national disgrace.

NFLN don't play dat homie.

Posted by: IHateJLC | June 1, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze1 | June 1, 2009 1:52 PM

Let me be the first! Fire J. Reid. I'm tired of his constant negativism!

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 1, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Highly unlikely.

Reid doesn't appear to possess the adolesecent pique that is JLC's hallmark.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | June 1, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations on your new job, may the hamsters not have as sharp teeth there as they do here.

Having said that I hope you've left Mr. Reid your flak jacket and ankle guards, he'll need 'em lest he be deboned in seconds flat.

Posted by: Megskin | June 1, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Good luck Jasno!!! Represent!!!

Posted by: Smiley2 | June 1, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Congrats Jasno. I for one am sad to see you move on. I valued your reporting and your help making RI one of my most addictive spaces on the internet. Hopefully time warner cable can get a deal with the NFL network soon so I can actually watch!

Your coverage during the Sean Taylor debacle was tasteful, informative and empathetic. I will always remember that.

Would be great if you would come mix it up in the comment section!

Nice seeing some ole'school hampster come out from hiding to say goodbye. This place is always at its best when the chorus is large and diverse!

Hail!

Posted by: chrislarry | June 1, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

JaLa.... I didn't always see Eye-to-Eye with some of your thoughts, opinions and comments about the Redskins Organization, but I do think you did a heck of a job with posts, articles and CSN appearances. You brought great insight and thought to much of your reporting an analysis. Looking back - you were right on the money more times than we would probably like to admit...

I know my bias and hopes for this team to succeed ceratinly affected the manner in which I perceived your reporting.

Kudus, to you for the great job you did and the hard work and endless hours you contributed. I am grateful for all that you did.

Good Luck at NFLN... I look forward to seeing and reading your work. Furthermore, Good Luck to you and your family in your future endeavors!

Posted by: EinVB | June 1, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Thanks AC..for an older lady, Helen Mirren is kinda hot...G(M)ILF....oh I fear I have said to much.

Posted by: chrislarry | June 1, 2009 12:56 PM

CL, have you seen Shadowboxer starring the ol' Dame and Cuba Gooding, Jr.? There's a steamy love scene between the two for your pleasure.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | June 1, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

And a heartfelt goodbye to you as well, Jasno.
In your hono(u)r, I suggest we all say farewell with our various 'noms de guerre'.

- Original "not" guy

Posted by: 4-12 | June 1, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Best of luck Jasno. I sometimes gave you a hard time but bottom line is I knew this was the place to go for the best coverage of the Skins, and where a shorter version of the following day's print article(s) could be found in advance.

Posted by: RambleOn | June 1, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Yo JLAc I'll buy you another shot of GM anytime my man, thanks for your hard work and persistence covering the skins for us.

Posted by: dadanimal | June 1, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Good luck Jason with the new gig. You did a great job both covering the Skins and manning this blog. My only advice: cut back on the carbs yo and increase the cardio. You know what they say about TV.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | June 1, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

WHAT A REVEAL.....thank you 4-12! You are brilliant by the way.

Posted by: chrislarry | June 1, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

.......and now that Jason C has said good-bye, can us have some OTA updates?

And what are the contract parameters for B Orakpo?

Who benefits from Jon Jansen's being cut: Heyer or Bridges?

What does M Williams weigh today, is he still have the baby rhino girth he did upon joining the skins?

Who or what is Marko Mitchell and is he a threat to anybody other than a guy in an unemployment line?

And speaking of Rhino, where does he fit in? Has he been 'grindin' (as the young people say) all off season to get his game right?

Yes: Canfora is gone, but the team and interest in it remains.

Less talk about the guy leaving and more about the guys in helmets who are staying behind.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 1, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

One more thing: What few have given you credit for, is maybe the reason you have so many "sources" is that you were busting your arse making calls all over the place to break a story or give a particular insight -- probably more than most NFL beat reporters normally do. And I'll admit I got a lot of millage out of the "source" controversies, but in all honesty I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt.

Posted by: RambleOn | June 1, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

OK. What's the deal with the phantom heart-felt goodbye disappearing then reappearing suddenly...

Posted by: p1funk | June 1, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Congrats Jasno, you deserve it.

Posted by: smutsboy | June 1, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

For better or worse, this is the only football blog I take the time to make time for. A large part of that is due to you, Jasno. Good luck with your new gig. And good luck to the new guy/gal...

Posted by: amaranthpa | June 1, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Happy trails, Jasno!
Verisimilitude blog none
Keep up the great work!

Posted by: HaikuMan | June 1, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

JLC, you're one of the few willing to be so accessible with the readership and fan base...we really appreciate it and here's my hope you become the king of the NFLN!

Posted by: Fuzzy21 | June 1, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

- Original "not" guy

Posted by: 4-12 | June 1, 2009 2:25 PM

Wow! That was a great body of work you put up, 4-12.

Now, get out of here. I'm tired of your constant negativism. Come back as, say, 13-3.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 1, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Jasno,

Thanks for all the good work you have done here. Best wishes on the next step in your career. Your future is bright.

Posted by: Markin21132 | June 1, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

I figured it was time cL. The name got hijacked with re-registration, so I can't use it anymore.
I always felt bad for Nate...everybody wanted to accuse him of being "not" guy.

Posted by: 4-12 | June 1, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Good Luck JLC. Make sure to stop back every now and then to give us Leigh Torrence updates.

Posted by: moseley_brian | June 1, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Congrats on the new job Jasno!

I stumbled over here after Sean Taylor was killed looking for answers and found the craziest group of bloggers! Thanks for your hard work and putting up with all the BS from all of us!

Posted by: suzannepdc | June 1, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Best of luck JLC. I've enjoyed your honest analysis and news on the Skins since you started RI and am sure that you'll do well on NFLN.

Posted by: rawk | June 1, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

In the spirit of nostalgia. Good luck Jas!

Smack's Top Ten Live Sports Moments, This Life.

1) Dallas 34 - 10 Philly, 1992 Texas Stadium
--On way to Super Bowl championship. I brought a big sign. Lame, I know.
2) Dallas 23 – 10 Philly. 1993 The Vet
--Emmitt goes for a best ever 237 in the Halloween rain
3) Washington 27 – 17 Miami. 1983, Super Bowl XVII, Rose Bowl, Pasadena.
-- Dragged there by Fish Family, I secretely revel in Riggo’s run. Many of you might bump this up to #1
4) Miami Hurricanes 17 – 16 FSU. 1983, Doak Campbell Stadium, Tallahassee.
--A great game, and then I justifiably get punched in the face for being an ass.
5) Holland 2 – 1 Saudi Arabia. 1994, RFK Stadium, Washington DC
--So much Orange, and Dennis Bergkamp never flies again
6) Arsenal 1 – 0 Ipswich, 2002 North London, England
--An insurmountable victory the only time I’ll ever be at Highbury
7) Miami Hurricanes 22 – 0 Nebraska, 1992, Orange Bowl Festival
--This is pretty much when speed and Florida took over the college game. Yes, Miami was good once.
8) Gatti unanimous decision over Mickey Ward, 2003, Atlantic City NJ
--An incredible time and I think some guys were fighting
9) Is all of the evenings I spent with my dad at Mark Light Field watching ‘Canes baseball. It didn’t give me a love of the game but it gave me the love of the dude
10) Is the many wild nights at The Blue Horizon in Philly in the 80’s, the best boxing arena in the country. Can’t remember many specifics, but I’m pretty sure Tim Witherspoon was involved.

Hope you enjoyed the tour, and it revived some fond memories of your own, you fine folks!

Posted by: SMACK1 | June 1, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Jasno is leaving? 4-12 is not guy? Bruce Willis was dead the whole time???

My world has been turned upside down.

Best wishes Jasno!

Posted by: Original_etrod | June 1, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

NFLN, NFL.com Announce Arrival Of La Canfora
Posted by Mike Florio on June 1, 2009, 1:05 p.m. EDT

As we reported last week, former Redskins beat writer Jason La Canfora has been hired by the league, to work both for NFL Network and NFL.com.

The move formally was announced on Monday.

“We have been looking to add a talented and experienced NFL reporter to our team and Jason brings those qualities to our network,” Eric Weinberger, Executive Producer of NFL Network, said in a release.

“I am excited about the opportunity to join NFL Network and NFL.com,” La Canfora said. “I’ve been a fan of the network since its inception and look forward to providing NFL Network viewers and NFL.com fans with as much information and insight as possible.”

“Jason is one of the top NFL reporters and we are excited to have him join our editorial staff,” said Laura Goldberg, V.P. and General Manager of NFL Online. “We continue to grow and improve NFL.com with talented reporters who provide exclusive stories, breaking news, interviews, and chats for our fans.”

Posted by: periculum | June 1, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for being the memories Jasno. I has been an entertaining 3 years.

Posted by: seriesoftubescleaner | June 1, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Congrats! Wishing you all the best with your new endeavor.

Posted by: rooster75 | June 1, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Actually Florida probably took over earlier than that, sorry.

Posted by: SMACK1 | June 1, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

thank you jason ...for putting up with us! your articles are not half bad either!

Posted by: diego99999 | June 1, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Jason - Be honest; you are going to be Dan Snyder's landscaper aren't you? I know him and Vinny really want to keep you on.

Good luck covering the sport as a whole and not just this silly organization!

Posted by: authorofpoetry | June 1, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Jasno. You always made it interesting and you never gave Barno that DVD.

Posted by: mack1 | June 1, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Top NFL reporter, tip, top NFL blog.

DING DONG THE WITCH IS DEAD!!!!!!
Finally!
NFLN don't play dat homie.
Posted by: IHateJLC | June 1, 2009

Snidely dude, if we throw water on you will you sizzle and melt like lard in a cast pig iron pan? And disappear?

Posted by: periculum | June 1, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Who benefits from Jon Jansen's being cut: Heyer or Bridges? MistaMoe

Levi Jones. Guy knows next year is a non-salary cap year. This team has Snyder.

Posted by: periculum | June 1, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Jason,
Like a few others have stated, I noticed the blog and became a follower after the ST tragedy. I was astounded at how excellent and professional your coverage was. You approached that unfortunate incident with the sensitivity it deserved, yet kept all of us informed when all we could do was wonder what in the hell had just happened. You have maintained that level of excellence. I look forward to seeing you on the Network.

Posted by: jwlemons | June 1, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

No great speech, but your work was appreciated!

Dan Snyder and Vinny C are glad to see you go. you should thank them for lobbying to get you the job. they had ulterior motives to get you out of DC. This year is pivotal to the Snyder approach. if they had he same local coverage hammering home their missteps and failures it would not bode well. They are happy to be rid of you.

the metrosexual thing has done great things for your career.

Posted by: oknow1 | June 1, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

For all the borderline psychos who are ripping JLC on the way out, perhaps you could just call Larry Michael, and he'll give you the straight poop -- right from the horse's (rear's) mouth! I know some of you only want sunshine and lollipops when it comes to the Skins, but life's not like that -- and JLC did a heck of a job with the top of the Skins' "organization" (I use that term loosely) spitting in his face for having the temerity to tell the truth.

Good luck, JLC.

Posted by: mdean3 | June 1, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

* beep beep *

new post...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | June 1, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

P. S. - Don't mention Leigh Torrence on the National Front. All the fans will be like, 'Who??'......

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 1, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Brother, Thank you for your great insight, for letting me host as a guest blogger and for emailing me every week about the Wire. I love the blog and thought you were always honest and kept it real. I wish you nothing but the best for you and you family. Tommy

Posted by: tjzukoski | June 1, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Pip pip guv - it's been emotional...

Posted by: mikeysuperdons | June 1, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Jason, best wishes to you and yours.

Posted by: dashriprock | June 1, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Good bye. Good luck. And welcome to the real NFL, not the Snyderized Never-never Land.

Posted by: deMille_Ondefloss | June 1, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Good Riddance!

First Kornhieser, now you! Yey!

I hope you don't last a week at NFL.com spreading your hate and lies!

I know the Post will keep spreading the Hate for the Redskins while your gone....so don't worry about that.

Why NFL.com would hire someone with NO NFL knowledge and a complete lack of honesty or integrity whatsoever I'll never know?

AND FOR THOSE OF YOU WHOSE STILL WANT TO DEFEND THE LOSER THAT IS JLC.....I"VE BEEN HERE FROM THE BEGINNING AND HE WAS HORRIBLE AT HIS JOB!!!! HORRIBLE IN PRINT AND HORRIBLE ON THE AIR!!! GOOD LUCK!(NFL.COM) BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Yey! Hooray!! Yey! Hooray!!
Yey! Hooray!! Yey! Hooray!!
Yey! Hooray!! Yey! Hooray!!
Yey! Hooray!! Yey! Hooray!!
Yey! Hooray!! Yey! Hooray!! Yey! Hooray!! Yey! Hooray!!
Yey! Hooray!! Yey! Hooray!!
Yey! Hooray!! Yey! Hooray!!
Yey! Hooray!! Yey! Hooray!!
Yey! Hooray!! Yey! Hooray!! Yey! Hooray!! Yey! Hooray!!

Posted by: filmchis | June 1, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

.......and now that Jason C has said good-bye, can us have some OTA updates?

And what are the contract parameters for B Orakpo?

Who benefits from Jon Jansen's being cut: Heyer or Bridges?

Yes: Canfora is gone, but the team and interest in it remains.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 1, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Well said. The fanbase does not want someone to put a positive spin on everything and feed us horesdung. What we do want is an "insider" who will act as an insider and give us INSIDE information. The questions above would all make GREAT blog posts.

Fortunately for us, Matt Terl reports on these types of things, and Mark Mosely gives his opinion on most of it. Facts & Opinions, what JLC should have been but could never get over his ego/desire to go national long enough to provide such journalism.

Not sure why you JLC-slurpers equate not liking JLC to demanding to be spoonfed positive information. No one has said that. Hope that clears it up. My math may be off but my reading comprehension certainly seems above average now.

Posted by: CantwaittoseeJLCgo | June 1, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Congrats and best of luck in the new job! :-)

Posted by: Juan-John | June 1, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Jasno,

Thanks for all you've done. And you have done so very much.

It's great to see you move up, but sad too.

I hope this isn't a sell out; keep to your journalistic guns.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | June 1, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

"The reality is that this whole thing here is way bigger than me."

Duh. If only you wrote that way instead of talking about your ipod.

"nah-nah-nah,nah...nah-nah-nah,nah...hey,hey..."

Posted by: kreator6996 | June 1, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

"....after spending half of my 35 years on this planet writing for daily newspapers in one capacity or another."

-----

You've spent half your life writing for newspapers?! That's funny considering just how bad you've been your WHOLE CAREER at basic SPELLING and GRAMMAR!!!! ROFL!

(In the era of Computers and automatic Spelling/Grammar Check and you still can't spell as a so-called PROFESSIONAL WRITER!!!)

Your like a carpenter who doesn't know how to use a hammer!!! ROFLMAO

LOL! You never would of made it in the REAL newspaper biz!!

Posted by: filmchis | June 1, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Jason -- thanks for creating this environment. Its been fun, especially because you didn't coddle Skins mgmt. Disagreements are an essential part of sports life and this blog has 'em. Lots. Which is why it has been and is fun to be a part of.

So with dangling participles, I wish you well in your next step and hope working, at least in part, for Dan Snyder is everything you imagine it could be.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 1, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

The most despicable, shameless, irresponsible reporter this side of Jayson Blair, Jason La Canfora has earned a reputation over the last several years as the most dishonest reporter in the D.C. metro area. Even his fellow colleagues at the Post could not stand him personally nor professionally. Trust me on that one.

Sure, I have a personal reason to dislike him, considering he did hold the contest on this blog's early days that I ended up winning... and he named the prize, and then never delivered on it despite countless assurances that he eventually would. Sure, all of that is true. But that has absolutely nothing to do with why I think he's the biggest joke of a reporter in D.C. in my lifetime.

His reporting had gone from one-sided to controversial to bitter and then eventually to vicious non stop attacks on the team he was assigned to objectively cover. He was almost never objective, almost always one-sided.

We don't need a Redskins cheerleader writing the articles, I for one would like a critical eye covering the team. But it would be nice if at least the person who covers the team did not have the blatant agenda Canfora displayed time and time again. That all he cared about was stirring up controversy and making a name for himself at the expense of fairness to the team and truthfulness to his readers was a disgrace. He loved being a part of the story. But often went over the line in creating stories where they did not exist.

Everyone who read La Canfora's columns and blog over the years has had doubts at one point or another about the legitimacy of some of his anonymous quotes. In some instances, he has been publicly criticized by his own colleagues at the Post for his questionable use of anonymous quotes--and their legitimacy.

So let's be clear: Jason La Canfora is the most classless writer this town has seen in a long, long time. He has shamed the Post and he will not be missed.

But if he considers the NFL network a step up in his career over working for the Washington Post covering the Redskins, then congrats buddy and get the hell out of here before NFL Network changes their mind!

Yours truly,

The Original Barno

Posted by: Barno1 | June 1, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Jasno, good luck to you. I always appreciated your effort, just not always the results.

Posted by: isnadd | June 1, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

You should sell shoes.

Posted by: janpower2 | June 1, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Magnifico, Jasno!

Congratulations and best wishes on your new position at NFLN/NFL.com!

Posted by: tafka | June 1, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Jason,

Thanks for the effort. While I am not as critical of you as Barno is, over the last season, there was a decided turn in your reporting. Perhaps there was an agenda on your behalf, I hoped that wasn't the case. I thought your handling of the Sean Taylor situation was nothing but class, perhaps the high point. However I found some of the commentary toward the organization a bit unfair over the last season. Your love for Leigh Torrence was puzzling, almost to the point that I figured you had to be purposely doing this just to get a reaction from the masses.

Am I glad you are moving on? Tough to say. If you were going to continue to grind your Axe with Cerrato and Snyder, then yes. If you were going to be more objective like when you started this blog, well, I am going to miss that and pretty much have missed that for a while. Either way, there is no shame in someone pursuing their dreams unless they discredit others to make that happen. The jury is out in my mind whether that is the case here which is why I haven't convicted you like Barno has.

While I don't think that Snyder and Cerrato have done everything correctly, I also don't believe they have made nothing but mistakes. The same applies to your reporting. I don't think is was all one sided but you have to admit that on several posts you did allow your bitterness to Snyder and Cerrato seep through. Not the end of the world unless you take that approach beyond a once and a while thing which is why I think you angered a lot of people out here.

Best of luck in your new role. Learn from this experience, there is a difference from critical reporting and kicking a hornet's nest just to hear the buzz. Hope you don't do the latter.

JWP

Posted by: JWPinCHI | June 1, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Some of Jason La Canfora's greatest hits, from the 2008 coaching search:

"The Truth"
by Jason La Canfora

"This franchise went from 900 million to 1.5 billion since Gibbs came here in 2004. That's the bottom line here. Snyder is not gonna give the head coaching job to someone that doesn't have that big name, that sex appeal, who is not going to help him sell club level seats, and expensive suites." -Jason La Canfora, January 8

"I keep hearing that Jim Fassel is in a great position to get this job" -Jason La Canfora, January 22

"Gregg Williams is by far the leading candidate for this job." -Jason La Canfora, January 12

"Bill Cowher fits the bill for what Snyder would be attracted to" -Jason La Canfora, January 8

"Former Baltimore DC Rex Ryan would replace Gregg Williams if it goes down this way" -Jason La Canfora, January 22

"The Redskins have still said nothing to Williams and the rest of the coaches and all signs pointing to Fassel." -Jason La Canfora, January 22

"I Need A Job Where I Can Just Make Things Up And Create The News" -Jason La Canfora, January 21

"In an era of rampant speculation I am being as careful as I can." -Jason La Canfora, January 21

"the consensus I keep coming to is Gregg Williams is the guy" -Jason La Canfora, January 12

"For all of the yapping about continuity and stability, sure sounds like a blood-letting is upon us. Owner Dan Snyder was given multiple opportunities to endorse an in-house candidate, and specifically Gregg Williams, and declined to do so." -Jason La Canfora, January 8

"Jim Fassel, former Giants coach and Baltimore assistant, could be getting a look." -Jason La Canfora, January 21

Posted by: Barno1 | June 1, 2009 6:09 PM | Report abuse

PART II OF JASON LA CANFORA'S GREATEST HITS:

"Now, as I mentioned earlier Cowher would want full roster and personnel control and probably want to bring some of his own people in as well" -Jason La Canfora, January 8

"Cowher is off the market...He knows the kind of $$$ Snyder spends and he is not wavering in his stance" -Jason La Canfora, January 10

"I'd be stunned if the Skins don't reach out to Cowher soon" -Jason La Canfora, January 8

"If it's Gregg Williams, the process will be over in 3-5 days" -Jason La Canfora, January 8

"the consensus I keep coming to is Williams is the guy" -Jason La Canfora, January 12

"Several NFL sources said that they took the identification of Schwartz as a candidate as another sign that Williams, who the players strongly support, does not appear to be the front runner." -Jason La Canfora, January 10

"It doesn't come off as a great sign that they bring in Williams's former assistant, obviously" -Jason La Canfora, January 10

"We've just started this process. It's the first interview of many. We need to slow down. It's impossible to see the entire picture right now. It's a fluid situation and this isn't free agency - you don't hire every guy you bring into town." -Jason La Canfora, January 10

"I thought he and Gibbs could have sent a much stronger message about the validity of their in house people as candidates at the press conference" -Jason La Canfora, January 10

"Wouldn't it be an indictment of this entire Joe Gibbs 2.0 era if Snyder went through the process then handed it over to someone with little-to-no head coaching experience - without at least talking to the in-house guys first" -Jason La Canfora, January 10

"Greg Williams will most definitely be a part of the process and, as I posted earlier, he is expected to interview at the end of the cycle, likely the final interview." -Jason La Canfora, January 11

"But to this point I do not have anything firm enough to meet the Post's standards" -Jason La Canfora, January 12

"It would really be something to have none of Gibbs's guys even get an interview" -Jason La Canfora, January 12

"Just got off the phone with sources with knowledge of the situation. Zorn will be the next head coach." -Jason La Canfora, February 9

"Snyder is not gonna give the head coaching job to someone that doesn't have that big name, that sex appeal, who is not going to help him sell club level seats, and expensive suites." -Jason La Canfora January 8

Posted by: Barno1 | June 1, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Good luck jasno...wish i woulda got to sync with you the times you were out in seattle with the skins...i did get to meet diddy, nate and even barno...hopefully when the skins come back this dysfunctional family is still alive and well...

to the rest of you...dont hate the player...hate the game!!!

and lets go caps!!! and god bless the terps!!! and of course...Hail to 'em!!!

Tool - Aenima

Posted by: deadskin | June 1, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Good luck Jason - I look forward to seeing you on the NFL Channel, a dream gig indeed!

I just wanted to thank you and let people know that I have personally emailed Jason 3-4 times over the last few years (during the Sean Taylor ordeal, the Jay Cutler fiasco, etc,) and Jason always got back, usually within an hour. That always meant a lot to me and was proof positive that the guy was a real hard dedicated worker.

Jerry K.
Las Vegas, NV

Posted by: vladdrac71 | June 1, 2009 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Jason,

Over the past few years I have followed your coverage of the Redskins and most of the time agreed with the arguments and positions you have taken. I also enjoyed the soccer references here and there as that is a sport that I enjoy. I hope we continue to see you post here under your new assumed name as one of us when you have a moment and wish you the very best in your new adventure with the NFL.

Behrang

Posted by: franky4fingers | June 1, 2009 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Jason:

Congratulations and thank you for bringing such stellar, objective reporting to the beat. You kept us die-hards honest. I can't thank you enough for the countless hours of entertainment (eh, procrastination) your work has provided. I am not surprised to hear of your promotion and will no doubt look forward to watching you on NFL Network.

Cheers.

P.S., I guess the Redskins front office is pretty relieved!

Posted by: ljost | June 1, 2009 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Thanks JLC for all those times you ripped Cerrato and Front Office open.

Posted by: BMACattack | June 1, 2009 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Hey Jasno, sad to see you go but glad to hear you made it to the next level.

I hope it brings you health, wealth, and happiness.

Thanks for the coverage over the years; you made a Fins fan *consider* shouting for the Redskins, and that's quite an achievement!

All the best,
Chris

Posted by: Redcoat | June 1, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Good Riddance here and good luck there!!

Now JLC can spew unrestricted anti-
Redskins venom at a national level!

"someone I know heard from someone they know that the Redskins don't supply their players with enough vitamins"

Let's hope that the personality of RI also changes from the always negative to occasionally objective

Posted by: peaceful2008 | June 1, 2009 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Did Cindy call Jasno a "journalist"?

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | June 1, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

So Jason [Jasno] has departed.
And some are glad to see him go, and are taking their shots at him ---- right or wrong.

Personally, I did not always agree w/ Jason's editorial comments; however, I did find Jason attempting to be fair, presenting more than merely his editorial comments.

Jason, I thank you for your work in this column. I also thank you for some of the times, that you gave me time, and responded to my communication to you.

I wish you, my friend.
Cheers to you!

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | June 1, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse

_The Washington Post_ has had many outstanding sports reporters over the years from Povich to Wilbon - and you are most definitely among those superior reporters. I wish you the best in your new endeavor, but, at a selfish level, have to admit I will miss reading your stories and reading your posts on this blog. Also, it has never ceased to amaze me that you actually answer email. In a time when newspapers are having hard times and when the press, in general, often comes under fire, thanks for being an example of what a "real" reporter is. As you like to say, Cheers!!!

Posted by: MrMerkin | June 1, 2009 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for all your work, Jason. Best wishes in your new job.

Posted by: drischord | June 1, 2009 11:23 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Jason, for every minute of it

The blog is the prime source of news for me here in the UK

Remember, if you're ever in London - just email and we'll organise a pint !.

Cheers
Barrie

Posted by: crimson999 | June 2, 2009 8:22 AM | Report abuse

You are the best hockey writer the DC area has. Please reconsider the NFLN position and come back to covering the Caps! You are the best!

Posted by: ovyscaps | June 2, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Congratulations Jason and thank you for all your hard work.

Posted by: yadda | June 2, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Of all the ridiculous, offensive, and dishonest comments that Jason La Canfora made over the years, this one stands out to me above the rest:

Here's my question. Did La Canfora actually believe this nonsense? If so, it shows just how detached from reality he was as a journalist. The Redskins don't need a "big name" with "sex appeal" to help sell seats. That's not the "bottom line." The notion is so absurd it borders on delusional. \

La Canfora's personal vendetta against the Redskins front office often clouded his judgement, and the above comment is just a perfect example of this.

No one is going to accuse Dan Snyder of being the perfect owner. But anyone who questions his desire to put a winning team on the field above all else hasn't a clue what he is talking about, and certainly has no business covering the team for the local paper.

It's also worth noting that La Canfora never rescinded the above comment when Snyder tapped Jim Zorn to be his new head coach. Obviously, Zorn was not a "big name" with "sex appeal" that would "help sell seats." But did La Canfora ever own up to this attack on Snyder and take responsibility for the asinine comment? No, of course not.

It's just one small example of how classless Jason La Canfora was and is.

Posted by: Barno1 | June 2, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Congrats, Jason! Thanks for all your tremendous work! Although I sometimes did not agree with you, I have always greatly appreciated and respected your clear-eyed analysis and writing on the Skins over the past several seasons. Good luck with everything! Best wishes,

Jerry

Posted by: jerrymcginn1 | June 2, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Barno, that axe must be ground so fine by now that you could do micro-surgery with it, n'est pas?

You accusing ANYone of being 'classless' is so hyper-ironic as to be ridiculous. I have to believe you're a disciple of Dali or something and that this to you is all one big surreally obscure joke.

Posted by: Redcoat | June 2, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Congrats Jason!! I'll look forward to your comments on NFLN. Cindy, can't wait for the updates & tweets.

Posted by: wp11234 | June 2, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

It's a good thing I don't read the comments. Barno, WTF? The guy is leaving.

Posted by: wp11234 | June 2, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Redcoat,

Calling out La Canfora for his dishonest reporting over the years is not classless in and of itself. I've never lied on here, nor have I fabricated anonymous quotes out of thin air--as many readers of La Canfora's believe he has done at times.

And if you want to talk about an axe to grind, look at the beef La Canfora has had with the Redskins over the last several years. This is not my imagination, this is what hundreds of readers (if not more) have been saying on here for the better part of the last couple seasons.

Redcoat, do you go to other blogs on the Washington Post site? Do you see anyone accusing Michael Lee or Ivan Carter of an anti-Wizards bias? I didn't think so.

There's only been one beat reporter who has fundamentally abused his position with the Post to trash the team he was assigned to cover in a blatant attempt to make a name for himself. It worked, and he's gone.

Again, I'm not saying there aren't many legitimate aspects of the Redskins organization to criticize--but time and time again La Canfora crossed the line from legitimate criticism to baseless attacks. Any impartial observer could see the ink often dripping with venom in his articles and blog entries.

If you deny he had more hatred of the team he was assigned to cover than any other beat reporter at the Post, then you're only kidding yourself.

Posted by: Barno1 | June 2, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

congratulations, Jason
Best of luck!

Posted by: wydaaa | June 2, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Once upon a time, Young Jason answered a simple question sent via the "mail Jason" email link with a 200 word analysis of LaVar Arrington's diminished role. I wasn't even expecting an answer.

Journalism is evolving fast and most major papers are on their death bed - and are being replaced by guys like Jasno who interact with readers and feed inside information in real time via Twitter, via blogs and the old fashioned way we call email.

Your blog gets 400+ comments per post. That's more than Tom Peters gets. Good job, good luck, make sure to get Jason R up to speed on RI, and start blogging at NFL.

Good luck! And thanks -

Posted by: shdenny | June 2, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Your blog gets 400+ comments per post. That's more than Tom Peters gets.

Posted by: shdenny | June 2, 2009 9:22 PM

Um, you could give this blog to Barno and have me write nonsensical jibberish 3x a day, and as long as I gave the occasional update on Redskins OTAs and Clinton Portis shenanigans, there would be 400+ comments as well.

The Washingtonpost.com Redskins blog gets 400+ comments per blog entry, not Jason La Canfora. Half the entries aren't even written by him. And it will continue to get 400+ comments per blog entry, and perhaps more, after he is gone. This is due to 2 things and 2 things only: the popularity of the Redskins brand, and the high readership numbers of the Washington Post online.

Posted by: Barno1 | June 2, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Many thanks for keep update & making me part of this great fan base.
I´m in Mexico City and the information is not as abundant as in DC.
Succes, and it´s on you to make ih happend.

Posted by: emarquez | June 3, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse

@Barno

I know you've had a problem with JLC since Day 1. Fine. That's your choice. But he has provided constant updates and rightfully -- RIGHTFULLY -- taken his shots at Snyder and the Redskins front office. Of course, you should check out this blog post from last offseason that quite simply explains why JLC and others might have a problem with how Cerrato and Snyder do business.

Posted by: CDon | June 3, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Cdon, I remember that entry well. It was just another in a never-ending series of baseless personal attacks on the guys who run the organization by the classless Jason La Canfora.

The fact that La Canfora doesn't even realize that EVERY SINGLE GM in pro sports has misled reporters at one point or another about their personnel intentions speaks volumes about how badly La Canfora's judgment has been clouded by his hatred of the organization's front office.

But how 'bout this, I will personally send you or anyone else $100 in cash if you can find me a quote from any other beat reporter from a major media organization in the country, covering any professional team, that has made this comment about the GM of the team they are assigned to cover:

"Somehow he still wonders why people don't take him seriously"

That's venom, folks. That's not straight journalism. That's not objective coverage. It's simply agenda-driven venom.

Posted by: Barno1 | June 3, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

I learned my lesson long ago and went roughly three years without talking to the guy, from the 2005 draft until the 2008 draft, and it had no adverse impact on my ability to do my job. Actually, it's pretty refreshing.

By Jason La Canfora | July 21, 2008; 3:27 PM ET

Another offer from me. I will personally send you or anyone else $100 in cash if you can find me a beat reporter from a major media organization in the country, covering any professional team, that has publicly bragged about not talking to the GM of the team he assigned to cover for more than 3 years.

My offer is good from now until the day I die. Why? Because I am confident there is no other sports beat reporter with such little class in this great country. La Canfora is the biggest scumbag
in the business.