A League of Your Own

Looking for a chance to assert your mental superiority and smack Mr. Smarty Pants over at World Wide Wilbon with one fell swoop? (Like I don't know the answer to that question...)

We have a contest for you, one that involves fabulous prizes (we had some really great ones in mind, but those were shot down).

You can pick against Wilbon. You can create a league for your friends or, not that I would tell you what to do, Redskins Insiders.

By Cindy Boren  |  September 10, 2009; 11:54 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Predict Portis' Output
Next: Rogers Says He'll Be Ready to Go Sunday

Comments

You must have just showed up.
A beat reporter has a responsibility to be fair and balanced. A fan on a blog does not. Comparing me to JLC is about as baseless as saying London Fletcher = Jeremiah Trotter 2.0, circa 2006.
Posted by: brownwood26 | September 10, 2009 12:03 PM
C’mon, you know I’ve been around a while. All I’m saying is that it seems pretty hypocritical for someone who is pretty much only negative to criticize anyone else who is negative, no matter what their “responsibility” is. Aren’t they also responsible to call it like they see it? Especially on a blog? And JLC is far from the only critic who is on your “list”…..If memory serves, there is also Wilbon, Cowherd, and Just 30 minutes ago you added Mortensen to the list of folks who should do their job the way you think they should…..

Posted by: dlhaze1 | September 10, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

I love you, Cindy Boren.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 10, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

"Moss would be interesting in the slot because of the mismatches. Players in the slot are usually covered by linebackers and safeties and with Moss you have extreme speed and ability to make people miss. I believe his best year for the Jets, he was lined up in the slot quite a bit.

Posted by: dfbovey"

That's fair, and I wouldn't object to seeing it once in a while. I don't know if Moe was hinting towards this specifically, but I have seen people call for Moss to be moved primarily to the slot, in which case he wouldn't be so favorably matched up with due to predictability -- and that's what I disagree with. Welker tends to see such favorable matchups because Randy Moss is always occupying the attention of the top CBs and safeties. Santana is that guy for us. If Santana becomes a primary slot receiver, you lose that edge on the outside.

Of course, if Mitchell, Kelly, and/or Thomas become truly dominant WRs, then I'd love to see Moss lined up there. But as it stands at this moment, I can't agree with that position.

Posted by: psps23

Posted by: psps23 | September 10, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

I have no problem feeling superior to people.

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 10, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Prizes? Like the prize you never gave to poor old Barno? "Heavy Metal Parking Lot" autographed by Chris Cooley?

Liar, liar, pants on fire.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 10, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

I have no problem feeling superior to people.

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 10, 2009 12:22 PM |

A sure sign that you're spending too much time on RI.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 10, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

"To me, he's (Santana Moss) a prototype outside WR."

The typical outside receiver is 6'0 and up in height.

A big corner can jam a smaller wide receiver to the outside and use the sideline against him.

Moss at the slot means he can be 'hidden' in a bunch formation or run free underneath a tight end or big-bodied wide receiver in a 'pick play'.

If the skins used Moss like the pats used Welker, Moss would crush in ways Welker does not because he has speed.

Why would you only allow him to use that speed on half the field?

Put Moss in the slot.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 10, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

"But you'll excuse me if I do take a certain measure of enjoyment in being right" - brownwood26

Couldn't agree with that more.

Sort of like this one dude I've been hearing about... you know local dude... made the roster and what not.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 10, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Why the best Cowboy is a retired Cowboy:

Emmitt Smith quote of the day:
On the new stadium:

I think it’s nutrageous. Absolutely nutrageous. To spell all that money on a stadium in today’s economic climax, I think it’s a real upfront to people out there who are living hand-to-eye.

Posted by: will_ga | September 10, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

"I have no problem feeling superior to people."

But do you have a problem with feeling superior people?

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 10, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze1 | September 10, 2009 12:14 PM

Memory serves wrong...I'm one of the few here that actually likes Wilbon. Mortenson is a great NFL insider...not sure why they have him pick games at all. All I'm saying is that it's not fair to compare me (a jaded and bitter fan) and JLC (a Ravens fan with an axe to grind against Vinny). Not even the same league.

I'll leave you with this: if Katie Couric came on the nightly news and said "I hate McCain", is that not a huge difference between me saying "I hate McCain" on a blog?

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 10, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Victory DLHaze....brownie go have a snickers my man, chill its opening week, if you can't be pumped and positive about a new FB seson.....why bother?

Posted by: chrislarry | September 10, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Why I love college football. Its not the games, its the fans.

Posted by: will_ga | September 10, 2009 12:15
===========================================

This just isn't right! Although I do remember getting pretty upset when the Skins lost to Oakland in the Super Bowl.

Posted by: RITCA | September 10, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Original_etrod:

"....superior to people." So that would make you......what? Something other-worldly? Pleased to meet you E.T.

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 10, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 10, 2009 12:31 PM
Okay on the Wilbon/Mort piece…... But I’m not comparing you to JLC……I’m saying it’s hypocritical to get bent out of shape anytime someone, anyone regardless of their job, is critical or negative towards the skins when that is all you do yourself.

Katie C would get fired for saying that (probably, but who knows in this day and age)….rather extreme example there….JLC never said anything like that, although he was critical. Never got fired for his work though did he?

Posted by: dlhaze1 | September 10, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RITCA | September 10, 2009 12:38 PM

Somewhere Ricky's mama is calling her friends braggin about her baby being a YouTube star!

Posted by: will_ga | September 10, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

"The typical outside receiver is 6'0 and up in height."

The typical receiver is 6'0 and up in height. The proportion of small slot WRs (Welker, ARE) to small outside WRs (S.Smith, L.Evans, G.Jennings, S.Moss) isn't really different than the proportion of big WRs in both positions.

"Why would you only allow him to use that speed on half the field?"

If you're running a deep route from the slot, often you'll be running right into where the safeties line up. If you run deep routes on the outside, you have to force the safety to make a decision whether or not to commit to you. It's much easier for a safety to shadow a slot receiver over the top than it is to provide cover on the outside. Underneath is where slot receivers do most of their damage. Yes, Moss could be better than Welker, but nobody we have on the outside would be better than Moss. Is it worth it? Not even close, IMO. Moss, if healthy, is a 1400+ yard receiver on the outside (though he has only made it through healthy once -- and he did it with Brunell as his QB). Welker is an 1100 yard receiver, even if he's the best slot guy in the game. Moss is much more valuable on the outside, IMO.

Posted by: psps23 | September 10, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

brownie:

DOES she hate McCAIN?

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 10, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Madden joins NFL in advisory job

John Madden is back in the NFL as an unpaid "special advisor" to commissioner Roger Goodell.

The league announced Thursday that Madden, who retired as a broadcaster earlier this year, would advise Goodell on "matters pertaining to the game, including competitive issues, coaching and personnel development, technological innovations, player safety, and the Pro Football Hall of Fame."

"When I retired from broadcasting, I didn't retire from my passion and interest in the game," Madden said in a statement. "This position enables me to continue that."

Madden will chair the Coaches Subcommittee to the Competition Committee, which reports in prior to the league's annual meetings. He will also participate in meetings of the General Managers Advisory Committee and talk weekly with Goodell or someone else on Goodell's staff.

"It was an offer we couldn't refuse," Goodell said in a statement.
============================================
EA Sports announces changes to MADDEN 2010 -

Not only will you be able to own a team, you'll be able to influence the commissioner.

And you won't have to worry about the salary cap.

Posted by: RITCA | September 10, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Oh, one more thing…..I guess it would be okay for Katie Couric to say that she hates McCain if the really was a fan of his and really wanted him to win an election, but felt that he gets more votes when she openly criticizes him….:)

Posted by: dlhaze1 | September 10, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

If I were Jeff Fisher, I would hand my players printouts of today's NFL Network program lineup:

10:00 AM
AMERICA'S GAME
Re-live the story of the 1974 Steelers through the eyes of Joe Greene, Andy Russel and Franco Harris. Narrated by Ed Harris.

11:00 AM
AMERICA'S GAME
Re-live the story of the 1975 Steelers through the eyes of Lynn Swann, Mike Wagner and Dwight White. The 1975 Steelers were voted as the 7th greatest Super Bowl-winning team of all-time by a panel of football experts. Narrated by Bruce Willis.

12:00 PM
AMERICA'S GAME
Re-live the story of the 1978 Steelers through the eyes of Rocky Bleier, Randy Grossman, Mel Blount and Joe Greene. The 1978 Steelers were voted as the 3rd greatest Super Bowl-winning team of all-time by a panel of football experts. Narrated by Bruce Willis.

1:00 PM
AMERICA'S GAME
Re-live the story of the 1979 Steelers through the eyes of John Stalworth, LC Greenwood and John Banaszak. Narrated by Ed Harris.

2:00 PM
AMERICA'S GAME
Re-live the story of the 2005 Steelers through the eyes of Bill Cowher, Jerome Bettis and Joey Porter. Narrated by Tom Selleck.

3:00 PM
AMERICA'S GAME
Re-live the story of the 2008 Steelers through the eyes of Mike Tomlin, Ben Roethlisberger and Troy Polamalu.

The rest of today's programming is either general "around the league" stuff or pregame for tonight.

Posted by: freakzilla | September 10, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Blacked-out games available online

NEW YORK -- NFL fans whose local teams' games are blacked out will be able to watch replays online for free -- though not until after midnight.

The recession has left several teams in danger of having games blacked out this season. The league announced Thursday that home fans will be able to view the delayed broadcasts on NFL.com for 72 hours, except during "Monday Night Football."

A game is not aired in the home market if it does not sell out 72 hours in advance.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell says the league understands the economy is limiting some fans from buying as many tickets as they had in the past

Posted by: RITCA | September 10, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

freak,

I was actually watching the 78 Steelers episode, but when they started focusing on Hollywood Henderson, I had to change the channel. I hate the Cowboys, even more than Katie Couric hates John McCain.

Posted by: RITCA | September 10, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Why I love college football. Its not the games, its the fans.

Posted by: will_ga | September 10, 2009 12:15
===========================================
I love the camera guy laughing under his breath, going "this is going on YouTube"

If Ricky had realized he was laughing at him, he might broken the camera, and then we wouldn't have been able to enjoy such a fine display of class.

Posted by: redskirt_ | September 10, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

psps23

We'll never agree about how to use Moss, but I do know one thing--I can't wait to see how the 'triplets' (Mitchell, Kelly, Thomas) pan out.

Santana Moss won't be a redskin forever.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 10, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Agreed there, Moe.

Posted by: psps23 | September 10, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Bill Simmons' everybody!!!

NFC PREDICTIONS

Playoff Teams
1. Green Bay, 12-4
2. N.Y. Giants, 11-5
3. New Orleans, 11-5
4. Seattle, 9-7
5. Chicago, 10-6 (wild card)
6. Washington, 10-6 (wild card)

Posted by: will_ga | September 10, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Love you, too, Nate. And the PDX!

Posted by: Cindy Boren | September 10, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Knowing what you know now, would you rather have:

A. Cutler (but not Orakpo)
B. Sanchez (but not Orakpo)
or
C.Campbell and Orakpo?

Answer the question twice: which would you choose if you want to win now? Which would you choose if you want to win for the long term?

Posted by: Diesel_Skins | September 10, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

C, 7 day's a week, and twice on Sunday. I think JC can have a really good year this year, and I think Orakpo has D-Ware type of skills, not saying he's as good as D-Ware, but he can be that type of player...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 10, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Awesome, thanks for the head's up, Cindy. I don't have time for FF this year, so maybe I can get my competitive fix through the Post's Pick 'em.

I especially like the "Survivor Game." Something different.

Posted by: redskirt_ | September 10, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

C is the obvious answer cuz he knows the offense, he knows the receivers, and Orakpo is a beast.

Posted by: RITCA | September 10, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Knowing what you know now, would you rather have:

A. Cutler (but not Orakpo)
B. Sanchez (but not Orakpo)
or
C.Campbell and Orakpo?

Posted by: Diesel_Skins | September 10, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

But we can't answer that because the regular season hasn't started yet. Many things we *think* we know could be wrong.

Posted by: redskirt_ | September 10, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

D) Bobby Boucher and Shane Falco

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | September 10, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately I think no matter what happens that JC is gone next year. But, I think he will be the one that chooses to leave vs. the Redskins getting rid of him.

I sure hope I am wrong! He has had plenty of chances to "Pull a Cutler" but has not up to this point. Hope he has a HUGE year.

Posted by: CheyenneWY | September 10, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CheyenneWY | September 10, 2009 1:27 PM |

I think you're wrong. No one pays more than Dannyboy. If JC has a good year we go to the playoffs and Danny offers him a new contract. You just don't bolt from a playoff team because of what happened the previous offseason. If he has a good season we make the playoofs, he gets PAID, and he gets a new Oline(mostly).

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 10, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Still a raw deal for fans on the black out but a semi-consession is better then none.

I made my pix for the league. who's with me!

Posted by: alex35332 | September 10, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 10, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Wow NBC Sports has the skins ranked #26 in the NFL this decade.

Behind KC, Oakland, and Arizona.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | September 10, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Campbell actually improved in several aspects last year. It was his first season in the West Coast offense designed by Mike Holmgren and transplanted by Jim Zorn, and anyone who thinks a quarterback can get the hang of that system in YEAR 1 should go back and watch old tapes of Matt Hasselbeck and Brett Favre. Not pretty.
-------------------------------------------

My point exactly for all of you Campbell hating idiots. Not even the great Brett Favre was great overnight in this system. So as I said before. Before we run Campbell out of town, we better be sure and give him another year (at least). Or become The Falcons of 1992 who traded Favre for next to nothing very prematurely, and suffered for the next decade without a great QB. Even their GM at the time admitted that they made a horrible mistake in trading Favre and not being patient with his development. I bet to this day, the FO is still kicking themselves for that bonehead trade. Let's not do the same thing. At least until he has had 3 yr. (avg. time it takes to learn the system), and if he doesn't improve in the next 2 yr., ship him out. Slow your roles. I'm expecting a good year.

Posted by: pbmingie | September 10, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

This is a scam folks. The Washington Post does not award prizes to winners of their silly contests, don't believe their lies.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 10, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Point blank the season is here and let's end all the talking. Campbell stats this season will be 3,300 yards+ 20+ touchdowns 10 or fewer intereptions and 19+ sacks. Portis 1,500 yards+ 10 touchdowns and 4.8 per carry.Moss 80+ catches and 1000+ yards, 9 touchdowns, Cooley 88 catches 900+ yards and 8 touchdowns. Our record 11-5 wild card spot

Posted by: robbkels | September 10, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse