A Little Vick-Redskins Update

I just spoke to a league source who told me Michael Vick recently was saying he thought he would either join the Redskins or 49ers. But two other league sources told me there's nothing there with the Redskins, at least at the second I'm writing this. But the latter two sources also reminded me that anything can happen when Dan Snyder is determined to pursue a player. After all, as some of you have correctly pointed out, the Redskins last July said there was nothing in the works with Jason Taylor and then traded for Jason Taylor a bit later in the day.

I can't imagine that Jim Zorn would want any part of the circus-like atmosphere that would accompany Vick landing in Ashburn. I mean, these guys are getting ready to open training camp Thursday, the team struggled in the second half of Zorn's first season as a head coach and he probably needs to reach the playoffs to return for a third season. And after Snyder's attempts to replace Jason Campbell in the offseason, bringing in Vick would really help build the starting quarterback's confidence, wouldn't it?

By Jason Reid  |  July 28, 2009; 5:06 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jarmon Signs
Next: Campbell Knows He's on the Clock

Comments

Bring him in to play WR!!!!!!

Posted by: aricxx123 | July 28, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

it would be crazy if we pick up vick....

Posted by: digitaldelight | July 28, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

thus further proving that if we do in fact sign Vick, Skins fans are the most masochistic on the face of the earth. No matter what they do to us, we just can't leave.

why does management keep pulling this bull.

Posted by: Buckleycj | July 28, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

A vick signing would be fantastic!

If the skins would not have spent the entire off season trying to replace Jason...

so it's really not in the best interest at this point to pursue Vick

It could destroy this team

Case Closed...

Posted by: skinsbacker | July 28, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Wildcat! He is so athletically gifted. He doesn't need to be a threat to Jason Campbell. He could also play a slash role. Players of his talent don't come around very often. I don't view this as a typical Snyder move. You can never have enough talented players on your team regardless of the sport.

Posted by: blackandred777 | July 28, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

"....Agent Joel Segal represents Campbell and Vick, and Segal knows Campbell as well as anyone. I just dont see this making sense."

...and yet...

Posted by: _Stumped_ | July 28, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

For the record, I hope not, because I believe in Campbell.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | July 28, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: blackandred777

Zorn has already said that he has studied the Wild Cat and has NO INTEREST in it.

I hope some team gives Vick a chance but NOT the Skins. We have had enough QB drama this offseason to last a lifetime.

Posted by: Lisa_R | July 28, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

49ers? Makes sense. They need a #1 QB and they're in a weak enough division (one where the Cardinals can go to the Super Bowl).

Posted by: dcsween | July 28, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

The FO is probably thinking: "Didn't they hear us when we said no?" Why is Jason Reid still leaving the door open on this? He must just be another Skins hater.

you reap what you sow.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | July 28, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa_R | July 28, 2009 5:32 PM

I'm hoping he has an interest in a hurry up offense.

Posted by: dcsween | July 28, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Jason solid post!

Posted by: DaveWeiss | July 28, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

NO TO MIKE VICK. Skins have pulled alot of BS but that would be too much.

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 28, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Campbell takes the snap, fakes the handoff left to Portis, but pitches to Vick on the slant... Vick sidesteps 2 tackles and breaks wide right with a quick burst...Vick stops on a dime at the sideline and throws opposite field to a WIDE-OPEN Randall-El! To the 40...the 30...he's got one man to beat...AND VICK CRUNCHES THE REMAINING DEFENDER... END ZONE!!!

Posted by: ntlekt | July 28, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

First let's get one thing straight, Dan Snyder doesn't give a rats azz how Jim Zorn feels. If he did, he wouldn't have pulled all of that Cutler, Sanchez sh%* after Zorn clearly said, "Campbell is his guy".

Second, Vinny says no, well since when does no mean no, and yes mean yes, when it comes out of Vinny's mouth?

As far as crazy, well it doesn't get any crazier to ignore a raggedy azz oline in the draft,free agency, and suppl draft and focus on the Dline.

Getting Vick wouldn't be anymore crazy than anything else the Danny has done since he's owned the team.

It's his team, right? And hasn't he shown time and time again, it's his team and if he wants to do it, he's going to do it, and to hell with Zorn, Vinny, and unfortunately the fans.

Posted by: 72Redskins | July 28, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse

league sources = agents, people aligned with agents

Posted by: learnedhand1 | July 28, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Minnesota looks like a good fit for him now.

Posted by: MrOliver | July 28, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

For the record, I hope not, because I believe in Campbell.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | July 28, 2009 5:30 PM

Too bad you don't own the team because Snyder has made it clear that he does not.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | July 28, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

What a bunch of tools up here talking about Snyder's interest in Vick.

If Dan Snyder actually was interested in Vick, he would already be signed and there would be a press conference scheduled for tomorrow.

What? He's not signed? No press conference? Well that can only mean one thing: Snyder's not interested.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 28, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

hey talent I see your right up here talking too, like the rest of us fools

Posted by: 72Redskins | July 28, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

yeah, and don't let them see you trying to force your jammed door open, cause if a neighbor calls, the Cambridge police will arrest your black azz just like they did Prof.Gates...... while your jiving.

Posted by: 72Redskins | July 27, 2009 5:29 PM |

Before we get all verklempt about this and think it is time to revisit the lyrics to "Blowin in the Wind" keep in mind that Cambridge has a mayor much like ours - young (for a mayor) and African American. There also some diffs as well. She's a lady and looks svelte and trim.

Posted by: ArcticCat | July 28, 2009 6:07 PM | Report abuse

2 Points in favor of Vick:
1) Campbell's 11-yard runs equal Vick's 25-yard runs - Look at tape last year and tell me Vick couldn't get more yards then Campbell
2) At least we would have more media coverage then the cowboys for once.

Posted by: Loco120 | July 28, 2009 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Descartes (philosopher king): "I think, therefore I am."
Fartman (H. Stern alter ego): "I fart, therefore I am."

Posted by: ArcticCat | July 28, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

True Story:

Yesterday evening, I was at the local Humane Society/Animal Shelter to drop off a baby bunny missing one leg that I found cowering in the corner of my basil garden. While my wife waited in line with the bunny, I took my son back to look at the dogs in the kennel. Half the dogs in the joint were pit-bulls. There was one corridor that I walked down w/him that had about a half-dozen grown pitbulls on each side barking/snarling/chewing at the cages as you walked by. I was for real intimidated and a little afraid. It got me thinking...say you put Vick on one end of the room and throw the cages open. Is that 4.3 speed and those ankle-breaking moves enough to get him to the exit in one piece?

These are the deep musings of an RI-addicted Skins fan.

Posted by: p1funk | July 28, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse

A practical problem in signing Vick is that as far as I know, teams are only really looking at him for a wildcat formation qb. AND as far as I know Zorn doesn't have a wildcat offense in his playbook. What, are you going to ask Zorn to invent a whole new offense just for Vick the week camp opens up? And if we want to run the wildcat we could have Randle El do it now.

Posted by: thinker11 | July 28, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse

And for the record, I do not believe Vinny Cerrato.

The only way that I will be certain that we aren't checking out Vick is if/when he signs for another team.

Posted by: p1funk | July 28, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Breaking news: Former Eagles D-coordinator Jim Johnson has passed away. He was 68.

And Brett Favre officially (yeah, right) calls it quits.

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 28, 2009 6:18 PM | Report abuse

A practical problem in signing Vick...

Posted by: thinker11 | July 28, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse

We're talking about Dan Snyder.

Practical problems are irrelevant.

Posted by: p1funk | July 28, 2009 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Rest in peace, Jim Johnson. He was some tough competition.

Posted by: dcsween | July 28, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Jim Johnson? Dang...

Posted by: p1funk | July 28, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

These are the deep musings of an RI-addicted Skins fan.

Posted by: p1funk | July 28, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse

I thought that should have been his punishment the whole time. Dog fighting is one of the sickest things someone can do. They are on the same level as child molesters and abusers.

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 28, 2009 6:27 PM | Report abuse

RIP Jim Johnson. Awesome defensive coordinator

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 28, 2009 6:28 PM | Report abuse

How does Vick avoid associating with known felons when that includes half his friends and family?

Posted by: rb-freedom-for-all | July 28, 2009 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Jim Johnson story...http://views.washingtonpost.com/theleague/nflnewsfeed/2009/07/eagles-jim-johnson-dies.html

Posted by: CindyBoren | July 28, 2009 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Sad news about Jim Johnson. He had a lot of respect -- and he earned all of it.

RIP

Posted by: zcezcest1 | July 28, 2009 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 28, 2009 6:27 PM | Report abuse

_____________________

NOT!!! There is no comparison.... Unfortunately, dog fighting is a sport that people bet on... no different than bullfighting, cockfighting, etc... these animals all suffer, but it is a sport whether you like it or not. If he was fighting cows, chickens, or goats, would we care?? The dog isn't "man's best friend" in every country. Animal lover or not (which I am)... gotta take the emotion out & look at it for what it is.

Posted by: tony325 | July 28, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse

"I just spoke to a league source who told me Michael Vick recently was saying he thought he would either join the Redskins or 49ers."

The places that are hard up for QBs are SF, Jax and Minn. One unknown here is PETA. Vick has already palled up with the Humane Society but PETA has remained noncommittal about Vick. In bastions of liberalism like SF and Minn there could be a real firestorm if Vick comes on board. DC too if the FO goes stupid on ua. With Jax there probably would be minimal fan reaction. Jax is a redneck town where an org like PETA would get a chilly reception.

Posted by: ArcticCat | July 28, 2009 6:35 PM | Report abuse

My prayers go out to the Jim Johnson family.

Posted by: Lisa_R | July 28, 2009 6:36 PM | Report abuse

RIP - Jim Johnson

Posted by: tony325 | July 28, 2009 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Let's see out of 32 teams our offense was ranked 28, we only averaged 16 points a game, and we can't use the speed and elusiveness, plus the arm of Vick?

Other than a healthy fresh Moss there is no one (at this time) else who an opposing defense would fear.

Posted by: 72Redskins | July 28, 2009 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tony325 | July 28, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse

How is that a sport? Taking an animal that doesn't have the ability to reason and make it fight brutally against another animal; you are right that is a sport.Do they have a fantasy league? If puppies fight do they all get a trophy regardless of performance? Don't feed me that crap, it's absolutely deplorable behavior. A sport is when someone CONSCIENCELY makes the decision to compete on a team or in one on one competition.Football is a sport,basketball is a sport, golf is a sport. Dogfighting is for gutless pus###s who have no soul, and should be shot on sight.

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 28, 2009 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Could use Vick as a PR/WR. No wildcat and no competition for Campbell. You make this clear up front. Of course...

1) This would depend on being able to sign Vick agreeing to this scheme (if he has other offers to weigh).

2) This still leaves open a possible QB controversy later on in the season if JC hits a rough spot.

2 is a scary thought. And a dealbreaker. That's the last thing we would need, and I'd sure prefer JC at QB instead of Vick. MV was never that good and he hasn't played in 2 years.

We need to stand behind JC and give him some support. He's our best chance this season and we'd better accept it.

Posted by: parkerdn2000 | July 28, 2009 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Great start, Jason...this blog is so much better.

Posted by: dexter72 | July 28, 2009 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Uh, I hateD, the sickest thing one can do is molest a child, murder another human being, or rape a woman. It's obvious you love dogs, but they are a little lower on the priority chain my man.

Posted by: 72Redskins | July 28, 2009 6:57 PM | Report abuse

QB pursuit a trois? Figures ... if there is anything Snyder can do to draw all the attention away from the team to himself ... even to the detriment of the franchise.

Posted by: periculum | July 28, 2009 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Just think about this, people that kill animals as children are way more likely to turn out like.....oh I don't know....Jeffrey Dahmer. It's a sick thing to do, and believe me there are alot of huge football fans just like me who feel exactly the same way.

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 28, 2009 7:02 PM | Report abuse

RIP Jim Johnson - great competitor

Iggles D will be motivated this season

Posted by: noonefromtampa | July 28, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Who supposedly killed animals as a child?
Vick?
Never heard that one.

Posted by: 72Redskins | July 28, 2009 7:09 PM | Report abuse

He did it as an adult, thats even worse. Hanging,electrocution,drowning etc. It was all over the news, where were you?

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 28, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

It's really funny, all these dog/animal lovers voicing all these complaints and all this emotion, but your very quiet it seems, when each weekend young black males slaughter each other like dogs?

Where's your outrage for that?

Posted by: 72Redskins | July 28, 2009 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Is anyone that killed a young black male getting reinstated to the NFL?

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 28, 2009 7:19 PM | Report abuse

T minus 37 hours and counting

Posted by: noonefromtampa | July 28, 2009 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Let the Vick situation work itself out:
let's discuss the players who will play for the skins this year. If the two young pups- Kelly & Thomas step up their game and draw the coverage of the other teams top 2 corners......then Santana Moss will be unstoppable. Can you imagine Moss being covered by a 3rd corner? It can happen if Thomas and Kelly produce big time

Posted by: pennstate1 | July 28, 2009 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Got that right noone.

Clearly Johnson loved football. We should all be lucky enough to do something we love, right up to the end.

Peace.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | July 28, 2009 7:55 PM | Report abuse

There is no chance that Vick comes here. Just doesn't make any sense - WCO, so disruptive before training camp, etc.

For those of you instinctively bashing the blogger here for hating on the FO, JR said 1) I have heard from sources that it might happen, but 2) FO has said no, and 3) "I just dont see this making sense." Seems like a reasonable conclusion to me.

Posted by: zornskins2 | July 28, 2009 7:58 PM | Report abuse

What is the purpose? To replace Campbell? As much as Danny doesn't respect Campbell, I find it hard to believe he sees Vick as a better leader for this team.

As a wildcat/runner/returner? Maybe, but the Skins have brought in several scatbacks and ARE is a very good passer for the trick plays.

Lastly, I don't think Danny wants the risks of associating his team with Vick. Too many dog lovers that buy Skins apparel.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | July 28, 2009 7:58 PM | Report abuse

49ers coach Mike Singletary all but put an end to the Michael Vick-to-San Francisco rumors Tuesday, calling it "a dead issue."
"It's not happening," he added. We suspect Singletary wouldn't mind giving Vick a chance, but his hands are tied with GM Scot McCloughan calling all the shots. McCloughan is still dying for ex-No. 1 pick Alex Smith to succeed.

My thing is why don't the Skins come out and make a statement if we are not interested. At reply "no" in a text message? What is Cerrato supposed to say yes and then nothing? I think there is a more than good chance Vinny is working something with Vick. IMO

Posted by: slimbo-Rice | July 28, 2009 8:01 PM | Report abuse

These are the deep musings of an RI-addicted Skins fan.

Posted by: p1funk | July 28, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas
___________________________

Amen to all of this. Or we can sign him but include a clause in his contract that the first time he touches the ball and doesn't score, he gets the same non-performance penalty he gave his dogs. I'm OK with that.

Posted by: chasgiffen | July 28, 2009 8:11 PM | Report abuse

"RIP Jim Johnson - great competitor"

Indeed.

The sad thing is that the wrong Jimmy Johnson is dead.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 28, 2009 8:23 PM | Report abuse

I noticed that the Skins were relegated to the bottom half of the power rankings for FOX and ESPN. I have also noticed that some experts are saying that Zorn will get the axe if he doesn't make the playoffs. Unless they think Z is the reason the Skins are power ranked so low that really sucks.

Posted by: BlackBagOps | July 28, 2009 8:27 PM | Report abuse

"I find myself surprisingly agnostic about Vick and the Skins. Maybe because it feels like an odd fit."

What irritates is that camp opens Thurs. and all the chatta is about someone who may not even be with the team when the season starts.

No one will take Vick as rosters are set and football coaches don't like disruption.

Mike Vick should go to Canada, display his talents, and join a team the next off season.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 28, 2009 8:28 PM | Report abuse

The sad thing is that the wrong Jimmy Johnson is dead.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 28, 2009 8:23 PM |

Man, that is really cold. Saying that any Jimmy Johnson should be dead.

Posted by: BlackBagOps | July 28, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Where's your outrage for young black males ihated?, and we all know what vick did as an adult, you brought up the child comment as if you know he killed animals as a child,- answer that?

But someone who killed dogs, has been reinstated, so get over it. He'll be playing in the NFL , so get over it, now rub this Front Line Plus on you and care your redneck azz to sleep.

Posted by: 72Redskins | July 28, 2009 8:35 PM | Report abuse

"Man, that is really cold. Saying that any Jimmy Johnson should be dead..."

Not any Jimmy Johnson.

Just that guy with the hair who works for FUX Sports during the football season.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 28, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

RIP Jimmy Johnson, great coordinator.

Posted by: Gweez | July 28, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse

rosters are set, and coaches don't like disruption... masa moe

NFL rosters are never set, there are injuries and releases/signings, and coaches like to improve the talent on their team, sometimes causing a little disruption.

Posted by: 72Redskins | July 28, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse

What kind of person says another person should be dead?

A compassionate conservative.

Posted by: 72Redskins | July 28, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

If Skins can change DeAngelo, why not Vick? I still don't believe that J Campbell can carry Skins all the way...
why not let see one year with Vick??

Posted by: skinsMill | July 28, 2009 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 72Redskins | July 28, 2009 8:35 PM | Report
For one you misinterpreted everything I said. Yeah it is an outrage that young black males get murdered in greater amounts than any other demographic in this country. I live in a city that is famous for minor league baseball and gang violence.So for you to call me a redneck when you don't even know me is ignorant as hell.Calling somebody a redneck is the equivalent of dropping n-bombs. What have you done lately to help violence among young black men in America. Get off RI and become active in your community you moron. But you probably live in the suburbs and don't know alot about that stuff.

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 28, 2009 9:07 PM | Report abuse

can't we all jus get along...........

Posted by: BeantownGreg | July 28, 2009 9:12 PM | Report abuse

blah, blah, blay, Vick. blah, blah, blah, Favre.

What I want to know is why the poop are only three 1st round picks signed? The sloting is supposed to make it so that these guys don't miss camp yet only qbs are signed and they're suppose to be the exceptions to the slots.

Posted by: bangkokben | July 28, 2009 9:12 PM | Report abuse

"Keyshawn is an interior designer on his show, and T.O. is ramping up for a new NFL season."

Why don't they do just one hour long show called, "Who's The Biggest Punk?"

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 28, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Screw the media and the radicals at PETA, sign Vick as a back up QB, wildcat specialist, and return man.

One caveat: it is understood he will not compete for the starting QB position.

Posted by: Barno1 | July 28, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

"Why don't YOU go to Canada, better yet, go to Alaska and go moose hunting with your girl, uh, what's her name. That should be right down your Black Republican alley."

Doncha just like how intelligent this black man thinks he is?

He sounds like he has a ph d. in cooking grits and deconstructing episodes of 'Sanford and Son'.

Note To Self:

Add '72redksins' to the short list of cluless posters who should be avoided as his commentary sounds like the rants of a man who spends his time on his knees choking on whatever bone someone has thrust into his mouth.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 28, 2009 9:26 PM | Report abuse

I know a lot more about it than your jive azz knows about it and will ever know, I'm Black. Are you?

And if calling you a redneck is ignorant, whatever, what will be will be, it is what it is, now like I said, rub some Front Line Plus on your azz and go lay down. Good night.

Posted by: 72Redskins | July 28, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

72redksin

"... masa moe..."

There are two 's' in 'massa'.

Make sure you use both the next time you attempt communicate with yours.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 28, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

RIP Jim Johnson. Very sad.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | July 28, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

72redksin

"...I'm Black. Are you?"

I'm so black I have enough sense not to call a brother nothing but what his momma has named him.

I've never called another brother a 'tom' or 'oreo,' but I'm black enough not to flinch when people in the 'I'm blacker than you' crowd to it to me.

Live long and prosper. You'll never get a word from me again.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 28, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 72Redskins | July 28, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse
Then I'm sure you have participated in anti-gang awareness. You don't have to be black to be touched by violence. BTW im blacker than you, nobody has used the word jive since 1972.

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 28, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

grits and sanford and son are a part of my culture and yours too, not that you would care to admit it. What, you grew up eating caviar and watching nothing but PBS?

And your lame azz rants sound like a man with ---- in his mouth from kissing azz, who goes out of his way to try to gain favor with people who don't care nothing about you, and avoid what you are....a Black man in America. Evidently you need a Gates incident to bring your azz back to reality, or have your kids turned away from a swimming pool. Oh, nothing like that would ever happen to you or yours now would it?

Posted by: 72Redskins | July 28, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

"you'll never get a word from me again"

and am I suppose to lose sleep over that?

Posted by: 72Redskins | July 28, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse

72redskin

The Rant Continues:

"....who goes out of his way to try to gain favor with people who don't care nothing about you, and avoid what you are...."

(INSERT image of Moe pressing the 'mute' button and wondering how Redd Foxx and Malcolm X got the chance to post in this blog when, like the politics represented here, they're both dead.)

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 28, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

RIP Jim Johnson, you were a constant thorn in the side of the redskin, but you did your share of damage to the Cowboys so its all good.

Posted by: alex35332 | July 28, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

MistaMoe,

I thought you'd get a chuckle outta this:

Especially at 2:30 mark
(Insert image of MistaMoe tying to get his point across to 72redskin)

Posted by: Vicc | July 28, 2009 10:10 PM | Report abuse

Hey, I can't see it either, but Dan Snyder is playing fantasy football with this team, so anything goes. I just don't see how he fits. Zorn is reluctant to change his offense and Vick does not fit anywhere in the offense as it stands today. Maybe they are just trying to inflate Vick's market value as a favor to Campbell's agent. We'll suspect that may have happened if Campbell sells an under-market-value deal sometime during the season. I cannot see Vick landing in San Fran, either. I could see him landing in Jacksonville, where QB is a big question mark. I wish Vick well, but I don't see this coach as the guy to build an offense around him

Posted by: RedSkinHead | July 28, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

With Favre out in Minnesota, I now put Minnesota at the front of the line in the Vick bidding. Peterson and Vick in same backfield? Scary...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | July 28, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Leverage. Player X has Team Y interested for Z dollars. Player X's agent says the Skins are interested for Z+N dollars. Team Y is suspicious, but offers Z+(N-M) dollars. Vick wins.

Posted by: WorstSeat | July 28, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Redskinhead,
Peterson, Vick, AND Harvin, real scary.

Posted by: 72Redskins | July 28, 2009 10:28 PM | Report abuse

If Vick comes here, and in a weird way, I can see it, it won't be about football. It will be about marketing. It will be about the largesse of the owner offering redemption for a local-grown talent. It will be about a pretty face to put on those Virginia lottery tickets. Legalized gambling, after all, is the road out of that stuff Vick was bankrolling behind blacked-out exterior walls.

Posted by: Xlnt | July 28, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Vick will not NOT be signed by any NFL team!!
You heard it first here.

Posted by: 8andeight | July 28, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

can't we all jus get along...........
Posted by: BeantownGreg | July 28, 2009

Eh, No beanboy, the answer is a negatory on that.

Posted by: periculum | July 29, 2009 12:03 AM | Report abuse

Live long and prosper. You'll never get a word from me again.
Posted by: MistaMoe | July 28, 2009

Live long and prosper? Dude you sound whiter than I? Wait, I do have an Italian heritage ... so ...
~smiles~

Posted by: periculum | July 29, 2009 12:05 AM | Report abuse

Moe, let me know when you "channel" Thurgood Marshall to post on this blog. I'll be there to read and disseminate every word.

That would be the real author and responsible party for the so-called civil rights movement. Probably the very best Constitutional lawyer in history. There's your 'live long and prosper' father of Spock ...

Posted by: periculum | July 29, 2009 12:09 AM | Report abuse

Bottom line, color issues aside. Vick would be nothing more than a publicity stunt to bring huge amounts of attention, again, to a certain Rockville geek.

Campbell is the man. Period. The imperious and nefarious OZ has spoken.

Posted by: periculum | July 29, 2009 12:22 AM | Report abuse

And kudos to the "theredskin" for making it into the SportsBog with the "sign of shame" at Miller field.

Posted by: periculum | July 29, 2009 12:25 AM | Report abuse

Ahhhhhhh ... the calm before the storm...

I say 49ers are the perfect fit... He can be a QB again there, they really don't like either of their guys.

Vick - Crabtree - Gore - Vernon Davis

That combination could really stretch the field...

The Redskins aren't getting Vick... If I was his agent, I wouldn't allow him to come here which could completely disrupt another one of his clients' seasons on a CONTRACT YEAR... The last thing Vick needs is his old boys 3 hours away. Go to the west coast & start over... Singletary / Vick would definitely work & the 49er fans at this point are tired of being mediocre.

Posted by: tony325 | July 29, 2009 12:34 AM | Report abuse

Vick will go to Cleveland.
Not to play QB, just to visit the dawg pound.

Posted by: daggar | July 29, 2009 1:05 AM | Report abuse

If the Skins sign Vick. I am giving up my family season tickets we have had for 47 years! I will no longer support the redskins. That is how strongly I feel about what he did. People use the word "mistake" WHAT? a mistake is not paying attention while driving your car and running over a dog and killing it. Body slamming, drowning and shocking an animal until they die is pure evil and purposely done. adding the fact he lied and lied and lied until he was backed into a corner. He is not sorry...He is sorry he got caught!

Plus we do not need the media circus at redskins park. Stay the Course!!!!!!!!!

Win with integrity!

Posted by: leevi98 | July 29, 2009 3:47 AM | Report abuse

Plus we do not need the media circus at redskins park. Stay the Course!!!!!!!!!

Win with integrity!

Posted by: leevi98 | July 29, 2009 3:47 AM

That mindset left the building with Gibbs. Staying the course would have been keeping Gregg Williams or hiring Russ Grimm. Getting as far of course as possible was hiring Jim Zorn and signing Albert Haynesworth.

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 29, 2009 5:25 AM | Report abuse

Joe Bugel must not be reading the posts on Redskins Insider. All I've been reading up here is about how we're weak on the O line. So, it was a shock to read this in today's Post:

"Depth-wise, this is probably one of the better offensive lines we've had here for a long, long time," Bugel said.

Either Bugel's getting senile or he knows something that the guys posting on RI don't know.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 29, 2009 6:08 AM | Report abuse

T_E, Buges is paid to say that. I wouldn't expect any less of him. You can't argue the backups are better than they've been in a while, it's the starters we're all worried about.

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 29, 2009 6:15 AM | Report abuse

I'm a life long Skins fan but, frankly, anyone who could cheer for a team that played Mr. Vick needs to take a long, close look at their priorities. This is a man who committed ghastly crimes who has still not looked anyone straight in the eye and apologized from his soul or done anything to prove he is a changed man. This whole Vick discussion is disgusting at this stage.

Posted by: truke | July 29, 2009 6:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 29, 2009 6:15 AM |

What's your point? You think that Buges is not credible because he's on the payroll, but you are credible because you're posting for free?

Maybe you're worried about the starters, but Joe Bugel -- who sees them every day -- doesn't seem to be. When was the last time you saw them? January?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 29, 2009 6:43 AM | Report abuse

I thought his point is that, if something appears in writing in the Washington Post, then it's probably a lie.
Or "spin", as we like to call it when politicians lie.

Posted by: daggar | July 29, 2009 6:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: daggar | July 29, 2009 6:55 AM

And the corollary is that if it appears on a blog, then it's probably the truth.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 29, 2009 7:00 AM | Report abuse

Like or not Vick has paid his debt to society. Two years and millions of dollars are gone. Sorrow has nothing to do with it in the NFL. It's all about production and winning. How many low lifes have been placed on a pedestal after bouncing back from bad decisions. I don't want him here in DC. It would be a bad fit right now. He could do well in New England under a tyrant like BB. Most of the haters here will sing a different tune in three years when Vick has acended to star status. We have had our QB controversy this year. Next year - Sam Bradfore**Tim Tebow**Free Agency.......... Can't Wait

Posted by: changer1 | July 29, 2009 7:38 AM | Report abuse

i am not a big jc fan, mostly because of his slow thinking, but vick is a bad passer and not and improvement.

Posted by: rls1041 | July 29, 2009 8:22 AM | Report abuse

'Spose I might as well weigh in, too:

1. Goodell works for the NFL owners, 32 extremely rich folk with enormous investments in their fragile franchises. He may talk piously of the player's welfare, but his concern is the collective interest of the owners and how to protect it (even from each other).

2. The League learned a lesson from Leonard Little, and that is, cover your butt. Little was charged with manslaughter in '98, reinstated, and got another DUI in 2004. Made the NFL look like a bunch of gutless wienies, which of course they were.

3. If you're going to compare Vick with Little (as media types are doing), you have to also compare him with Pete Rose, who didn't physically harm anything (animal, vegetable, or mineral), but drew a much harsher punishment than Vick from the League.

4. Vick may have satisfied the requirements of the Courts, but that's just one factor for Goodell to consider. More important is that Vick laid a big fat PR goose egg on Pro Football, which is equivalent to effing with their money. And you eff with rich folks' money at your peril.

5. Tony Dungy is there because Roger Goodell trusts him to snitch if Vick falters. A therapist wouldn't do that. Vick can get his own therapist if he wants one. Far as I've heard, there's no mental health issue involved here -- Vick just like to fight dogs for money.

6. This is not about valuing pets more than human life (the Leonard Little thing again). It's about betrayal. A trained dog, even a fighting dog, will passively allow its master to kill it. It's a complete violation of trust, in some ways comparable to abuse of a dependent child. If somebody starved and beat a ten year old kid to make him fight better, he'd be lucky to escape lynching.

Michael Vick is indeed fortunate to get another chance at the profession of his dreams. If he really wanted to be a plick about it, Goodell could hold him out another season and force Vick to sue, thus driving him way deeper into debt. And millions of people in this country, notwithstanding some of the posters here, would feel that Michael Vick richly deserved it.

Posted by: Samson151 | July 29, 2009 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Why Vick will be a Redskin...
Dan's thought process..
>>>> Cost of obtaining Vick? Probably just the Vet minimum.
Return on the investment..

* Vick on the bench as backup or active = Jersey sales.

* Heightened worldwide Media attention on the "Redskins Brand" every week "When will Vick play?" coverage, means a tremendous increase in Redskins Brand power (ie. Sales and Profits).

* FedEx Field sell-outs (1 million Virginia Tech alumni in DC area).

* A full stadium means mean Huge concession profits.

All this for a vet minimum salary signing. Makes absolute business sense.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | July 29, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

I don't think JC is a slow Thinker, he just has a slow wind up.

Posted by: alex35332 | July 29, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Vick can't play for six games. Which team is going to sign him and wait for that?

The Redskins **DO** fit that category given Snyder.

Posted by: periculum | July 29, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Plus we do not need the media circus at redskins park. Stay the Course!!!!!!!!!

Win with integrity!

Posted by: leevi98 | July 29, 2009 3:47 AM

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 29, 2009 5:25 AM | Report abuse

Keeping Greg willaims???? LOL that does not even deserve the time to get into conversation!

Posted by: leevi98 | July 29, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse