A Mass Answer To A Common Question

Inbox getting hit with a bunch of emails about Grady Jackson - wide-bodied DT cut by ATL earlier this week - so with the questions still coming in figured I'd address it here.

Jackson cleared waivers at 4 pm yesterday without a claim - no one wanted the contract as is, and at his age (35 or so) that's not too surprising. Several teams have called about him as a free agent but the Skins are not one of them and barring some sudden change of thought they will not be.

He's someone they would put high on the emergency call list should they lose DTs to injury - former Skin Joe Salave'a is pretty much atop that list from what I gather - but they like their interior rotation and their young kids there and aren't looking to make a move on this guy.

They've shown great restrain in avoiding the over-the-hill big name players this year - no moves for Simeon Rice, etc. - and deserve a lot of credit for that. They are cultivating good young linemen - which is a must and the lack of them on the offense line, where you should find good, cheap, young depth in the middle of the draft - is telling.

Also, the Skins have to be given their props for developing and indentifying versatile linemen - Demtric Evans and Phillip Daniels can play tackle or end; Lorenzo Alexander can play guard and tackle - and for a defense to be this good with 4 linemen like 25 or under - Chris Wilson, Alexander, Kedric Golston and Anthony Montgomery - is pretty significant.

By Jason La Canfora  |  October 25, 2007; 11:34 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Injury Update
Next: Practice - Same Ol', Same Ol' (Updated)

Comments

Massachusetts?

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | October 25, 2007 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Just say no to over the hill cast-offs.

Posted by: Forrest | October 25, 2007 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Isn't this guy a nose tackle anyway?

Posted by: Skinz | October 25, 2007 11:46 AM | Report abuse

I think he means "mass" in the literal sense.

Mass - noun - a considerable assemblage, number, or quantity: a mass of errors; a mass of troops.

But I suppose there could be a subliminal message in there since we're playing New England this weekend.

Posted by: Pretzel Boy | October 25, 2007 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Thank you, Pretzel Boy. Just a little jumpy about anything and everything with a Pats-related connotation.

Vigilance!

Balance!

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | October 25, 2007 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Need More Samoans!

Posted by: Dik | October 25, 2007 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Just keep Little #$% man Danny Boy out of personnel decisions. Dont trade away draft picks or make too many coaching changes and we should be an above average team for many years to come. Go skins!!! 10-6 babyyyyyyy!!!!

Posted by: bethesdaboy | October 25, 2007 11:53 AM | Report abuse

10-6 indeed.

Posted by: Dik | October 25, 2007 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Great post!!! Yes, I think the Skins do deserve some credit for what they're doing.

Posted by: sicwidit | October 25, 2007 11:58 AM | Report abuse

That Jasno -- always stretching the language!

He means a broadcast answer to a mass of emails.

When you're a real writer, you find the usual definitions of the 50,000 or so words in the English language very... confining.

WeKidBecauseWeLoveâ„¢

Posted by: cload and daggar | October 25, 2007 11:59 AM | Report abuse

You mean what they arent doing right sicwidit

Posted by: kcskinfan | October 25, 2007 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Jasno your stories are worthless!

Posted by: Good Golly | October 25, 2007 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Has Dan Snyder grown out of his "draft picks are for sissies let's buy as much crap as possible and win now" phase? If so, we are set. How about getting some draft picks back by trading some dead weight.. ala Brandon Lloyd.. Mark Brunell (Collins is better anyway)..

Posted by: Chris | October 25, 2007 12:05 PM | Report abuse

So far I am hearing nothing of any real substance regarding the defense of Clinton Soreness. I'll effort to answer questions previously posed to me. Do I think Betts would have fared better behind this O-line? OK, you're clearly not understanding me or just plain ignoring my comments on Portis. When have I ever said Betts is 'Better'? I want to get Betts more involved because CP clearly isn't ready to play the way the other candidates who have participated in camp, ota's and practice have. You all keep coming at me with "yards per carry" and "who can run behind this line". Let me be perfectly clear. WHY NOT START BETTS OVER A GUY WHO TAKES HIS OWN ASS OUT OF THE GAME EVERY OTHER PLAY ANYWAY. THE LINE IS THE LINE IS THE LINE. THAT'S NOT THE POINT. THE POINT IS THAT I'LL GO WITH THE GUY WHO WANTS TO BE THERE MONDAY THROUGH SATURDAY AND NOT JUST WANTS TO ROLL IN ON SUNDAY AND START. Now, comparing Portis to Thomlinson is just plain retarded. Portis is replacable, LT is not. Portis isn't the calibar or all around talent that LT is. he won't ever be. I know I am dealing with Portis apologists here but people, read what I am saying before coming at me willy-nilly with stats, comparisons and unsubstantiated reasoning. I'll be clear again. I DON'T CARE IF WE RUSH FOR NEGATIVE YARDAGE, I WANT SOMOEONE IN THERE THAT'S BEEN WITH THE TEAM ALL YEAR AND NOT JUST ON SUNDAYS. I WANT TO SEE BETTS, SELLERS, ROCK AND EVEN MASON GET A CHANCE BECAUSE THEY ARE SHOWING THAT THEY WANT TO BE HERE. My whole premise centers (now there's a guy we never questioned the desire of) around "being here". Portis doesn't want to be here or he would.....you guessed it.....be here. that means all year, during camp, getting ready, getting in shape, being a leader, setting expamples. I can't be more clear.

Posted by: Wayne P. | October 25, 2007 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Whon would give up anything for floyd, especialy with his contract, brunell we might get a 6th if someone is deperate for a vet qb, but i think we missed our window on that one.

Posted by: SAK | October 25, 2007 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Trade deadline is over. My bet is that Brunell retires after this season. Give him credit: he has accepted his demotion with grace and class. One can only hope the fans appreciate that, regardless of what they think of his effectiveness in DC.

Posted by: P Diddy | October 25, 2007 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Jason, thanks. I like it. the last thing the 'Skins need to do now is disrupt the best D in the league with a fatbodied 35'er just because he's available. Now, if he were a guard or tackle, that would be a different story. I love our D line and they are only going to get better. I can't say enough how the emergence (finally) of Carter has now given opposing o-lines someone to worry about - freeing up a gap for our d-line-diaper-dandies.

Posted by: Wayne P. | October 25, 2007 12:11 PM | Report abuse

I think what Wayne is saying is CP to him as Neon Dieon is to me. So he hates CP. Seems like a lot of wasted energy to me.

Posted by: bangkokben | October 25, 2007 12:15 PM | Report abuse

"My whole premise centers (now there's a guy we never questioned the desire of) around "being here". Portis doesn't want to be here or he would.....you guessed it.....be here. that means all year, during camp, getting ready, getting in shape, being a leader, setting expamples."

That sounds like Lloyd to me, not Portis. I don't get to see the practices, I don't know whether Portis practices full out every day, I don't know that he pulls himself out any more or less than anyone else. I do know that he has saved Campbell's a$$ at least a half dozen times by absolutely crushing a blitzing LB. I do know that St. Joe puts him in as the starter, and that character is important enough to him that he would sit Portis if -- like Lloyd -- the effort wasn't there, either on Sunday or during the week.
So Wayne, I agree with you that if Portis was the RB version of Lloyd, I would want him on the bench. But the team doesn't treat Portis like Lloyd.

Posted by: cload and daggar | October 25, 2007 12:16 PM | Report abuse

I hate Mass.

Posted by: mile high | October 25, 2007 12:20 PM | Report abuse

"read what I am saying before coming at me willy-nilly with stats, comparisons and unsubstantiated reasoning"

"I can't be more clear."
HUH??

Posted by: ITA | October 25, 2007 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Cutting and pasting a line from my post and then commenting on that strand of logic doesn't make you accurate or even close to it. Thanks for bringing up Lloyd. The thing is that Lloyd actually practices and was in camp and ota's - he just doesn't have the appeal with the media and the fans that Portis does. Poor comparison yet again.

Posted by: Wayne P. | October 25, 2007 12:28 PM | Report abuse

jm220 for the longest time blogers have been accusing you as multiple personalitys and other posts have stuck up for those guys and made excuses for you not being around? (BOY ARE THEY IDIOTS)

All of a sudden a fake jm220 imposter shows up & THEYRE you are to defend yourself?? FUC***G BUSTED MR multiple personality poster!! Now show some HONOR and tell the rest of us the ones you use??

Posted by: JM220 BUSTED | October 25, 2007 12:29 PM | Report abuse

"Vigilance! Balance!"

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | October 25, 2007 11:49 AM

... "Swinging Souls!" ... "Maps! such as!"

In other news, picking up Grady Jackson never occurred to me. 35 years old? Got plenty of that already? Defensive tackles? Got plenty, including one who can play O-line and teams.

The guy I want the Skins to keep an eye out for is D'Angelo "gets beat up in own locker room" Hall. We have plenty of serviceable corners ... but no "Number One" guys, only Number 1.5 guys ... at least, that's how it appears given how sparingly they've been playing Springs.

Posted by: dcsween | October 25, 2007 12:30 PM | Report abuse

From Peter King's preview:

The New England Patriots have coasted through some of the NFL's worst defenses on their way to the best start in franchise history. The Washington Redskins figure to provide a much tougher challenge.

The NFL's most dominant team looks to hit the halfway point of the season with its perfect record still intact Sunday afternoon when the Redskins make their first visit to Gillette Stadium.

While Indianapolis also has yet to lose, there is little doubt that New England (7-0) has been the league's best team in the season's first two months. The Patriots have won each of their seven games by at least 17 points, setting an NFL record for consecutive victories by that total to open a season.

New England's top-ranked offense has appeared to be toying with opponents at times, and Tom Brady is on pace for 61 touchdown pases which would shatter the NFL record of 49 set in 2004 by Peyton Manning.

There may still be more than half a season remaining, but it is hard to deny that the Patriots are a legitimate threat to become the first team since the 1972 Miami Dolphins to go undefeated in an entire season.

A potential danger for New England is a showdown against the 6-0 Colts looming on Nov. 4 in Indianapolis. One of the Patriots' biggest strengths, however, is their ability to focus solely on the next game, a trait that comes directly from coach Bill Belichick.

"I don't think our record means anything as far as this week goes," Belichick said. "We just try to take each week at face value, for what it is, where our team is, where our opponent is, how we can maximize the opportunity."

New England's last four wins have come against Cincinnati, Cleveland, Dallas and Miami. The Browns, Bengals and Dolphins are the bottom three teams in the NFL in scoring defense while Dallas is marginally better, ranking 21st.

A matchup against winless Miami last Sunday proved to be nothing more than a chance for Brady and his receivers to pad their already impressive stats as the Patriots rolled to another big victory, 49-28.

Brady completed 21 of 25 passes for 354 yards and a team-record six touchdowns, one week after he passed for a season-high 388 yards and five TDs in a 48-27 win at Dallas.

Wes Welker had another outstanding game with nine catches for 138 yards and two touchdowns. Randy Moss had four receptions for 122 yards and two scores, giving him a league-leading 10 TD catches this season.

"Those guys are making the plays," Brady said. "I'm just throwing it. They're making my job awful easy."

Brady has beaten every NFL team as a starter except Washington (4-2). In his only career appearance against the Redskins on Sept. 28, 2003, he was 25-of-38 for 289 yards and two touchdowns but threw three interceptions in a 20-17 loss.

The Patriots lead the NFL by wide margins in scoring (39.9), total offense (432.9) and passing offense (299.4). Washington, meanwhile, ranks third in scoring defense (14.7) and is fifth in total defense (276.8) and eighth in passing defense (196.2).

New England has won eight straight against NFC opponents, and is 24-4 versus the opposite conference since the start of the 2001 season. That record includes three Super Bowl victories.

Redskins coach Joe Gibbs knows his team is a facing a monumental challenge Sunday.

"We'll probably be the biggest underdog in the history of sports," he said Monday. "Has anything held up against them? Do you have a game plan that will work against them? If you do, leave it here. Because I don't think anybody else has got one right now. We're going to struggle hard."

Any chance the Redskins have at handing the Patriots their first loss likely depends on their defense because Washington is 25th in total offense (304.5), scoring more than 30 points just once this season.

The Redskins produced a disappointing 160 total yards in Sunday's 21-19 win over visiting Arizona with star running back Clinton Portis rushing 18 times for a season-worst 43 yards.

"Their quarterback has thrown for 27 touchdowns, and we don't even have 27 touchdowns," Portis said. "We've just got to find a way to exploit our talent."

Washington and Buffalo are the only teams without a touchdown pass to a wide receiver this season.

Portis' struggles haven't helped take any pressure off Jason Campbell, whose 78.5 rating puts him 25th among NFL quarterbacks. Portis, who missed the entire preseason with a knee injury, is averaging only 3.9 yards per carry and hasn't reached the 100-yard mark in 11 games.

Portis may have to go up against five-time Pro Bowl defensive end Richard Seymour, who practiced with the Patriots for the first time this season Wednesday. Seymour is on the physically unable to perform list with a knee injury.

"They have (talent) all the way across the board," Gibbs said. "You hate to see them get somebody back that's a high-quality guy, too, to add to it. Not a pretty picture."

The Redskins have won the last six meetings against the Patriots, who haven't beaten Washington since Oct. 1, 1972.

Posted by: Skinz | October 25, 2007 12:30 PM | Report abuse

sicwidit, you can definitely come to the bar.

Wayne, it's too bad you can't be more clear. You may have some really great insight going there, dude, but you can't seem to get out of your own way and make a clear, cogent point.

Let me try to recap: You are down on Clinton Portis because you perceive his work effort to be lacking. You agree that he's the best back we have, but you don't think he tries hard enough seven days a week. You think he's been malingering since the offseason, and that those bad habits have affected the team in a critical way. You would rather have someone you perceive as a hard-working team player rush for fewer yards than Portis, than see him continue to get the most carries.

That's a hell of an argument, Wayne.

Now please tell me how badly I missed your point.

First round is on me, dude.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | October 25, 2007 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Timeout!
I want to take a moment to tell you that we're going to go to registration on the blog, probably next week. It'll be a pretty simple process and should decrease the annoyance factor.

Posted by: Cindy | October 25, 2007 12:35 PM | Report abuse

This "Shut the SJK up" award goes to Portis for claiming that they are the most talented team in the NFL. (Thanks Jason for the report). WTF? Is the chip on his shoulder cutting the circulation to his brain?

I am officially done with him. Let's see what Betts can do. He may be not as talented but at least he is more interested in playing football than hearing himself talk.

Arrrgggggghhhhhhhhhh.

Posted by: Stop | October 25, 2007 12:37 PM | Report abuse

oooh, Cindy, can we have captcha too?

Posted by: cload and daggar | October 25, 2007 12:37 PM | Report abuse

If that was really Cyn City, could we get an updated count? :)

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | October 25, 2007 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Cindy,

Will there be a way to preserve our blog identities? By that, I mean will the first person that registers as Larry Bud be Larry Bud from than on?

Posted by: Larry Bud | October 25, 2007 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Outstanding, Cindy.

Posted by: P Diddy | October 25, 2007 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Larry, if I may speculate, the Post may default to the regisration id system that it uses for the regular comment section on any article online. If so, you may want to go ahead and register there just in case.

I'm already RambleOn there anyway, so no posers for me.

Posted by: RambleOn | October 25, 2007 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Need More Samoans!

Posted by: Dik | October 25, 2007 11:53 AM

Dik speaks the truth.

Posted by: Joe in Raleigh | October 25, 2007 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Cyn Cyty. How is your friend doing? I hope she is doing well.

Posted by: jm220 | October 25, 2007 12:49 PM | Report abuse

*beep* *beep*

Posted by: Anonymous | October 25, 2007 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Portis is the best RB we have. He is not the problem. The problem is the fact that we have had so much turnover on the O-Line. If we had Jansen and Thomas in there, I guarantee we would have a better offense. That is no knock against the guys playing. They are really playing thier guts out, but you can't replace two extremely solid Lineman. What makes it even worse is that they are on the same side.

Posted by: BT | October 25, 2007 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Cindy (If that be you),
Sounds good to me.

Nate, you must be clairvoyant. That's the only way to read Wayne's tea leaves.

Posted by: Stumped | October 25, 2007 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Wayne,
Don't stop...keep bringing whatever you got.
(you're already in icon up here)

Posted by: Stumped | October 25, 2007 12:56 PM | Report abuse

It is indeed I! To prove it, I'll tell you that we're at 115,550!

Posted by: Cindy | October 25, 2007 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Hooray, Cindy, and thanks!

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | October 25, 2007 12:59 PM | Report abuse

"WHY NOT START BETTS OVER A GUY WHO TAKES HIS OWN ASS OUT OF THE GAME EVERY OTHER PLAY ANYWAY. THE LINE IS THE LINE IS THE LINE. THAT'S NOT THE POINT. THE POINT IS THAT I'LL GO WITH THE GUY WHO WANTS TO BE THERE MONDAY THROUGH SATURDAY AND NOT JUST WANTS TO ROLL IN ON SUNDAY AND START."

ive heard this argument before, but i don't really understand where it is coming from. i thought one of the biggest arguments for betts was that he gets stuck on the sideline for more than full-quarters at a time. but if he's stuck on the sideline, and portis is pulling "his own ass out every other play," then what rb's are actually in the game at that point? it's certainly not cartwright or mason. Yes, i think portis made a mistake in sitting out sessions most of the offseason (he has since admitted as much), but i don't think it was because he didn't want to be here. he has always been against preseason games for fear of stupid injuries that derail a season. you make it seem as though he doesn't want to be here, and in feeling that way, it leads to him having uninspired performances on the field. and i could not disagree more. his fight, determination, and effort on the field is second to none on each and every snap, and i don't know how you can say otherwise.

Posted by: el diablo | October 25, 2007 1:09 PM | Report abuse

The Skin's don't need a d-lineman right now they need an o-lineman.

"Portis is the best RB we have."

Portis is used up and has a big mouth to boot. I would prefer to see the o-line get better and Betts be the starter here.

Portis needs to shut up and stop fumbling. Maybe if he had actually played in the pre-season he wouldn't just be saying "I'm just now getting into football shape."

You fart on the guy and he goes down/fumbles. I don't believe that CP is the best on this team by a long shot.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | October 25, 2007 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Tonight - Red Sox 246, Rox 6.

Posted by: Shotgun | October 25, 2007 1:27 PM | Report abuse

I don't know Nate - Mass. is a Commonwealth, so I think you might've been onto something....

Agreed we should PASS on Jackson....one area we're doing well developing is D-line

HAIL

Posted by: LMG | October 25, 2007 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Just say no to over the hill cast-offs.

Posted by: Forrest | October 25, 2007 11:45 AM

Yeah like Gibbs or Saunders...over the hill coaches

Posted by: Anonymous | October 25, 2007 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of Old Washed Up Players, have the Jags called about Brunell? Word out of Jacksonville is that they would be looking to sign a veteran QB. Who better than number 8 car?

Posted by: M.E.G. | October 25, 2007 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Nice wishful thinking, M.E.G., if that is your real name. Getting anything out of Brunell at this point aside from really, really experienced clipboard holding would be a minor miracle.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | October 25, 2007 3:15 PM | Report abuse

cindy is the personal impostor of lisa

Posted by: jm220 | October 25, 2007 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Any chance Grady can play offensive line? I mean, he's big enough to be two positions, and Lord knows he's terrible at stuffing the run so maybe the Skins would actually GAIN yardage with the running game...

Ugh.

Posted by: Dave | October 26, 2007 10:57 AM | Report abuse

I want to know why they did not keep Jimmy Farris,I wish I could ask a coach,fat chance of that happning.He was a great special teams player,and a good reciever.

Posted by: Trainer | October 29, 2007 12:26 PM | Report abuse