A Message From Chief Taylor

Got a text from Pedro Taylor, Sean's father, and the chief of police of Florida City, Florida. Chief Taylor gave a hugely inspirational and emotional speech to the team at Redskins Park after Sean was murdered, and his message to win their remaining games and somehow get to the playoffs has resonated greatly.

Chief Taylor's assistant got a message to him - I am supposed to chat with Chief Taylor on the phone later today - and wanted to post it right away. I am working on the Monday Afternoon H-Back and scrambling out here - short week for the media schlubs, too - and will post that soon.

Here's Chief Taylor's message for now:

"I am so elated by the team's performance, and the Redskins organization as a whole has been so outstanding to me and my family. I'd just like to say, 'Go Redskins!'

By Jason La Canfora  |  December 31, 2007; 12:44 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: SKINS AT SEATTLE - 4:30 ON SATURDAY
Next: Monday Afternoon H-Back

Comments

FIRST! HAIL SKINS, AND HAIL TAYLOR FAMILY!

Posted by: freakzilla | December 31, 2007 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Beware the Redskins.

With a 27-6 home victory over a Dallas team with nothing to gain, the Redskins secured the NFC's final playoff berth in defiance of convention. The NFL's most resilient team by just about any measure, Washington opens the playoffs at third-seeded Seattle (NBC, Saturday, 4:30 p.m. ET).

The Redskins entered Week 17 with five starters on season-ending reserve lists and a sixth, Sean Taylor, having met a tragic demise. Five other teams entered the weekend with more than five starters lost to injury for the season. None earned playoff spots.

The Redskins played the final three weeks without their injured starting quarterback. They won all three games. Jason Campbell is probably done for the season. That's notable because the five teams with starting quarterbacks on injured reserve watched their teams miss the playoffs.

Six teams placed two starting offensive linemen on season-ending reserve lists this season, but only one -- Washington, of course -- is heading to the playoffs.

Posted by: jm220 | December 31, 2007 12:57 PM | Report abuse

To continue discussion from previous thread - Now that Marv Levy is reportedly stepping down as GM in Buffalo - how safe is that HC job?

Posted by: mtnskinsfan | December 31, 2007 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Hey guys, I just thought of this........

My son was born on the 21st of December....

I need no further proof as to what this season means........

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 31, 2007 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Hail Sean Taylor!
destiny....

Posted by: puttinforbird | December 31, 2007 1:03 PM | Report abuse

From a seatle sports web site...

"Washington (9-7) is the NFC's hottest team, beating playoff qualifiers Dallas and the New York Giants this month along with Minnesota, which just missed postseason. The Redskins beat pushed the Cowboys, Giants, NFC South champion Tampa Bay and NFC North winner Green Bay to the wire during the season. In contrast, Seattle (10-6) hasn't beaten a winning team since topping the Buccaneers in their opener, was crushed by AFC North winner Pittsburgh and lost to Cleveland, which just missed qualifying.

"

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 31, 2007 1:05 PM | Report abuse

"Go the distance."

Posted by: tafka | December 31, 2007 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Congrats 4th. I can't help but think he'll have a little bit of ST in him!!
Great guestblog yesterday.

Posted by: puttinforbird | December 31, 2007 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the updates Janso.

Lisa, I'm ready to put in our drink order.

Skins 23
Seattle 16

Posted by: johnw | December 31, 2007 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Chief Taylor, we all should be so gracious, and have as much class as he has shown in the face of his family's tragedy.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | December 31, 2007 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Levy or no Levy, Jauron's job in Buffalo is safe ... until it gets moved to Toronto. The owner bought into Levy's longer time horizon view of winning.

I agree with the peeps who say that Lewis' job is safe in Cinci, but my hunch is that the GM there might not be ... and that some of the thuggery may not get renewed.

I'm agreeing that Reid retires ... and also bet that Holmgren will too. If the Pats DO live up to the hype and go all the way, then I wouldn't be surprised if Bellichek stepped down on top. This past offseason was very un-Bellichek-like.

The Panthers coach, Fox, could be gone. I see Gibbs fulfilling his 5 year contract, i.e., finishing out next year, but will have negotiated extension options shortly after the end of the Skins' post-season. I doubt he will exercise the first of the those extensions.

The last two seasons seemed like major changes in coaches -- with not much to show for it (except in Green Bay). I'm guessing the musical chairs THIS year will be at the GM position (and that a ton of old coaches will want to come back as GMs, see Parcells new gig, including the immediate canning of the guy with the title "GM").

Posted by: dcsween | December 31, 2007 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Dick Juron is safe I would say..

Great post JM220! Bring the heat and eat some meat!

4th....the numerology is gettin scary up in here! very happy about your son! I am assuming the answer to "does he have a skins onesy" is YES!

Posted by: chrislarry | December 31, 2007 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Coughlin, the coach everyone thinks is going to get canned every year, hangs on for another season ... b/c of the GM replacement.

Also, I agree that Billick will be canned ... I bet he becomes one of those guys who tries to career-change to GM (but fails).

Posted by: dcsween | December 31, 2007 1:14 PM | Report abuse

or Billick could take one of those "part time" jobs that retired coaches do ... like coach a college team.

Posted by: dcsween | December 31, 2007 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Normally I would think that Jauron is safe also. The Bills have been better than expected the past two seasons. With a change in GM however...New guys usually want "their" coach. All depends on who the next GM is. If it's an in house hire he stays. If not - all bets are off.

Posted by: mtnskinsfan | December 31, 2007 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Do the Bengals even have a GM? I thought that was one of Marvin's complaints.

Posted by: tafka | December 31, 2007 1:16 PM | Report abuse

A thought just occurred to me ... perhaps, just maybe, a team in search of a GM could make an un-refusable offer to the Skins' own racquetball partner ... not to be negative, but I'm just sayin'

Posted by: dcsween | December 31, 2007 1:18 PM | Report abuse

You have to give credit to Vinny. With all the injuries this year, the subs and schlubs stepped up and played. Obviously, a lot of that is coaching. But you have to find raw talent before you can coach it up. I'm a huge critic of the 'Skins FO structure, but Heyer, Doughty, Godfrey, Blades, and a whole bunch of these nobodies stepped up to play this season when the starters went down.

Posted by: PDiddy | December 31, 2007 1:20 PM | Report abuse

ChRis laRry - He was wearing a complete Redskin's outfit all day yesterday. The skins are 2-0 since his birth.......

Thanks for all the positive feedback on the guest blog. I'm glad others generally have the same feelings as this season being special....

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 31, 2007 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Tafka, nice use of the name Cutlet. You came to play today! Hail!

Posted by: sams3 | December 31, 2007 1:21 PM | Report abuse

How safe will Coughlin be if the Giants lose in the 1st round against Tampa Bay? The Giants tried very hard to stumble out of playoff contention. Does Eli get a new contract? Does Strahan get resigned? Does Tiki unretire if Coughlin gets fired? Does anyone really care?

Best blog line yesterday was about Eli going to Pakistan to overthrow the government.

Posted by: tafka | December 31, 2007 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Another thing occurred to me re: Billick ... if the Ravens hired an African-American coach, the AFC North would be the first division with all four coaches. [Crennel, Lewis, Tomlin, coach to be hired later].

That would be a nice thought, and I'm certain the Ravens would do right by the Rooney Rule, but they would be stupid not to elevate that son of Buddy Ryan (Rex or Rob, I don't remember which).

Posted by: dcsween | December 31, 2007 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Taylor sounds like a classy man.

OT: I saw the Cowboys 2008 opponents posted. I assume the Redskins opponents for next year have been made.

'Boys playing AFC North (Pitts, Balt et al.) and NFC South.

Anyone see the Skins 08 opponents.

Posted by: SteveMG | December 31, 2007 1:23 PM | Report abuse

I thought that Eli line was probably the best joke of the year on RI. Brilliant stuff.

Posted by: PDiddy | December 31, 2007 1:23 PM | Report abuse

How safe is Jon Gruden's job if the Yuckaneers bow out in round 1 again?

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 31, 2007 1:24 PM | Report abuse

sams3, I liked your name idea for QB Cutlet - a cutlet being a small version of the real thing.

Posted by: tafka | December 31, 2007 1:24 PM | Report abuse

2008 opponents: http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/nfl/stories/123107dnsponflopponents.1e0759c.html

Home: Dallas, N.Y. Giants, Philadelphia, Arizona, St. Louis, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, New Orleans

Away: Dallas, N.Y. Giants, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Seattle, Baltimore, Cincinnati, Detroit

Posted by: PDiddy | December 31, 2007 1:24 PM | Report abuse

I didn't know Eli's contract was up (consider me among those who don't care). Giants would do well to let him go (trade if they can find a taker), hire a vet w/1-2 years left before retiring (Brunell?) and draft a new QB in the first round.

Posted by: dcsween | December 31, 2007 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PDiddy | December 31, 2007 01:20 PM

I totally agree with you PDiddy and was thinking of posting something similar. How about the play of Montgomery and Golston - two nice late round finds. As much as the FO gets beat up they now deserve some kudos.

Posted by: mtnskinsfan | December 31, 2007 1:25 PM | Report abuse

''Skins coming to Seattle next year! Heck yeah!

Posted by: PDiddy | December 31, 2007 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Those Seahawks have not faced a tough team all season. Skins have played some of the best teams in the NFL, name one franchise player for seattle that we cant overpower.

Posted by: alex35332 | December 31, 2007 1:26 PM | Report abuse

looking at the Seahawks stats I wonder if we need to prep for Morris more then Alexander?

Posted by: alex35332 | December 31, 2007 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Montgomery and Golston have been quite impressive. Chris Wilson as well. And Blades stepping in and playing as well as he has? What a horrific year all around, but this has been a masterful coaching job by the position guys.

Of course, let's not forget huge mental errors earlier in the season by the big name guys (Santana and CP combining to lose that Packers game still shocks me), questionable clock management, questionable playcalling, etc.

But it's a whole new season. Everyone is 0-0. And the good guys are peaking at the right time...

Posted by: PDiddy | December 31, 2007 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Diddy, yes, I didn't want to be too negative on Vinny given that he and his group DID find viable depth, but it does remind me that Vinny may only be a technical guy who does what he's told (rather than a guy with a real eye). Even through my euphoria over making it to the post-season (and on a ROLL!), deep down the Lloyd/Archuleta hires still cause periodic stomach acid burps for me. And given the organization's class/support in responding to the tragic loss, its just not right to re-point the figure where it belongs.

Posted by: dcsween | December 31, 2007 1:29 PM | Report abuse

''Skins coming to Seattle next year! Heck yeah!

Posted by: PDiddy | December 31, 2007 01:26 PM

I'm worried about that one, since it will be a 'revenge' game from the Seahawks perspective.....

Posted by: 4-12 | December 31, 2007 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Alex, Pat Kerney, and Julian Peterson concern me on their defense. They also have some wide-outs, Burleson, Branch, and another guy, whom are worrysome, that being said, I'll take my chances with Dub-G rolling out another brilliant game plan to shut them down.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | December 31, 2007 1:32 PM | Report abuse

alex##, Patrick Kearney/DE.

Posted by: dcsween | December 31, 2007 1:32 PM | Report abuse

The funny thing about the Archuleta deal is that they "un-did" it by offloading him and his contract to the Bears. Sadly, I think they were too patient with Lloyd.

Let's also not forget the pro scouting dude (he's always on Redskins TV with Larry Michael...forget his name). He found Bug Eyes and McCardell, both of whom contributed this season at clutch times. For the most part, though, it was the guys who were in camp as bottom of the roster dudes who found themselves with significant playing time and contributing greatly.

Just another great story on this team full of great stories amid horrible ones.

Posted by: PDiddy | December 31, 2007 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Don't forget that Pete Kendall trade that our FO pulled...damn good move.

Posted by: chris_skins_balt | December 31, 2007 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Does Kearnny scare you more then the Gmen's ends?

Posted by: alex35332 | December 31, 2007 1:35 PM | Report abuse

F next years schedule...F the draft...F salary cap, F two weeks from now...

One focus: Seattle next Saturday afternoon, nothing else matters.

Posted by: chrislarry | December 31, 2007 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Lets give the office credit for this year, but lets hope that they can make the smart moves a trend.

Posted by: alex35332 | December 31, 2007 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Actually one key issue:

Where, when are Ricky Bobby and Lisa gettin Dinner at??!?!?!?1

Posted by: chrislarry | December 31, 2007 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Heyer being inserted into the starting lineup, coinsided with the winning streak as well. He has been a revelation on the right side. Portis nailed it in the post game presser saying Heyer played with very little to no help v cowpies.
Dude is a stud!

Posted by: puttinforbird | December 31, 2007 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Dallas is who we thought they were. I want to harken back to the Dallas fans (few that there were who dared) in the past few threads. In the first Dallas game, the ONLY scoring by the Cowboys (4 TDs) were by Terrell Owens' receptions. Dallas fans will argue that they lost yesterday b/c T.O. was out. I would respond, however, that the ONLY reason that T.O. scored those four catches was because it was the FIRST game that Sean Taylor was out ... and btwn LaRon and Doughty, they were still figuring out deep coverage to compensate for Sean's absence. That difference in that game was one TD. Yesterday, it was 3 TDs. In both games, Sean Taylor (21) made the difference.

Posted by: dcsween | December 31, 2007 1:39 PM | Report abuse

If there is one thing I feel like Gibbs and Bugs can do its take a big strong guy and make him a stud on the line.

Posted by: alex35332 | December 31, 2007 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else not patronizing Starbucks this week?

Posted by: chris_skins_balt | December 31, 2007 1:40 PM | Report abuse

My suggestion for the "RI Opposites Attract" playoffs payoff dinner:

1. Next Friday to parlay mojo into Saturday.

2. We paypal ricky bobby some scratch so he can upgrade the joint.

3. NO FAST FOOD! A respectable dinner with nice wine, apps, mains and desert.

4. All documeted with photos, short video and post dinner wrap ups from participants for use in a dinner GLOG.

Posted by: chrislarry | December 31, 2007 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Ooooooh. You can't put a Starbucks jinx on this. That would kill me. I need my over-priced foo foo Mocha to get through the day.

Come on, please don't kill me.

Posted by: PDiddy | December 31, 2007 1:42 PM | Report abuse

If anyone thinks PK can generate a better passrush than what the giants can is fooling themself. Ware is 20 times the player PK is and beside from one play yesterday Samuels sent him packing.

A Seagull has to be the gayest mascott of all time. Hail

Posted by: sams3 | December 31, 2007 1:43 PM | Report abuse

I am with CL we want to know when the big date going to be. lol

Posted by: jm220 | December 31, 2007 1:44 PM | Report abuse

jm220 should chaperone.

Posted by: PDiddy | December 31, 2007 1:44 PM | Report abuse

F Starbucks!
F the Sonics
F the Space Needle
F Grunge
F the movie Singles
F healthy living
F Portland juct b/c its close
F SW Canada for the same reason
F Salmon
F Pugent Sound
F Pearl Jam
F Ichiro

Posted by: chrislarry | December 31, 2007 1:45 PM | Report abuse

chris larry,

are you the guy who said Popeyes? Hilarious.

This is definitely not the same Seattle team we lost to back in '05. In fact, the one thing I think I fear the most for the Skins is the environment.... definitely a tough place to play. The key could be to get up early and take the crowd out of the game. Hopefully the weather is nasty too. I think that could favor us as well.

P.S. How much do we pay Collins to stay next year? I think if we can guarantee him a chance to compete for the job, he would take less money to stay here with Al Saunders.

Posted by: johnw | December 31, 2007 1:46 PM | Report abuse

F Ichiro times 25

Posted by: sams3 | December 31, 2007 1:46 PM | Report abuse

sams3 - It's not a sea gull; it's a sea hawk/sea eagle (osprey). Kind of like a watered-down version of the Iggles.

Posted by: tafka | December 31, 2007 1:47 PM | Report abuse

CL, I think you nailed everything except a certain former employer of mine and a certain jet company.

I'd omit British Columbia, though. Vancouver and Sydney are the two best cities I've visited that are perfect 10s for being a single man.

Posted by: PDiddy | December 31, 2007 1:47 PM | Report abuse

F Next Year
Live in the now!
Destroy the seahags!

Posted by: puttinforbird | December 31, 2007 1:47 PM | Report abuse

johnw,

sfskin suggested poppies b/c RB luves that joint...

I think it should be the Palm or some siht!

Posted by: chrislarry | December 31, 2007 1:47 PM | Report abuse

One thing I can't abide are Cowboys fans (or anyone else for that matter) whining about injuries this year.

Before the season started, I hoped that the Skins would be able to make the playoffs this year, but if you had handed me a list of injuries for this season, I would have hoped for 5 or 6 wins instead.

Without taking into consideration the loss of Sean!

Posted by: _Stumped_ | December 31, 2007 1:47 PM | Report abuse

They actually have a handler on the field who lets a seahawk go fly around before the game. It's pretty cool. Those birds scare the crap out of me.

Posted by: PDiddy | December 31, 2007 1:49 PM | Report abuse

What's wrong with Salmon? You need some Salmon to calm your crazz a** down CL. LOL

Posted by: jm220 | December 31, 2007 1:49 PM | Report abuse

HA. I could even scream LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE that chicken from POPeyes after I order Lisa her 2 piece chicken meal.

-RB

Posted by: johnw | December 31, 2007 1:51 PM | Report abuse

F Microsoft
F Boeing
F Birkenstocks
F College kids rioting when they don't know why
F flannel
F Heart
F Salmon Jerky

Posted by: chrislarry | December 31, 2007 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Cindy should ask Tom Sietsema for a restaurant recommendation.

Posted by: PDiddy | December 31, 2007 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Well put CL!

May I add :
F fish tossers
F Mt St Helens
F Xavier McDaniel

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 31, 2007 1:52 PM | Report abuse

"Fish tossers"...hilarious!

Posted by: chris_skins_balt | December 31, 2007 1:53 PM | Report abuse

>>> "F College kids rioting when they don't know why"

God, you have no idea...it's like a (literally) watered down version of Berkeley up here.

Posted by: PDiddy | December 31, 2007 1:53 PM | Report abuse

F Salmon.

What are you crazy?

F cHris laRRY.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | December 31, 2007 1:53 PM | Report abuse

No Salmon this week or your a sellout....CRABS ONLY BEETCHES!

Posted by: chrislarry | December 31, 2007 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Dude aren't Burknstocks are a Vermont thing? And the College kids know why they are rioting, except the stoners.

Posted by: alex35332 | December 31, 2007 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Shouldn't RickyBobby and Lisa have dinner at a really loud restaurant, so when the inevitable screaming breaks out, no one else will mind?

Posted by: tafka | December 31, 2007 1:57 PM | Report abuse

So what am i supposed to do with this Salmon Latte from Starbucks in the commemorative flannel cup? It came with a free download of Pearl Jam's cover of Barracuda (a hidden track on the Singles soundtrack)

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 31, 2007 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Personally I have no beef with the city of Seattle just the retarded sehawaks and there even more retarded fan base.

Posted by: alex35332 | December 31, 2007 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Crabs are out of season in DC. However, crabs are never out of season in Seattle. (Those grunge girls seem kind of scary, don't they?)

Posted by: tafka | December 31, 2007 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Dude,

I have a freezer full of smoked salmon caught and smoked by real honest to goodness native americans.

It's better than bacon!

Hail!

Posted by: _Stumped_ | December 31, 2007 2:00 PM | Report abuse

alex....its sorta of a joke my man don't get your hackles up...

although I would argue stoner college kids the only ones who do know what they are rioting for...legilized weed and a return of the 2.99 lunch buffet

Posted by: chrislarry | December 31, 2007 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Jason has a new post up.

Posted by: tafka | December 31, 2007 2:01 PM | Report abuse

I had my fill of them when I was at Hempfest in Seattle 2000. Good times, I had backstage passes, was able to hand out on stage, (got flashed a bunch of times). Got to get high with Woody Harrelson. Though I don't remember much after that.

Posted by: alex35332 | December 31, 2007 2:03 PM | Report abuse

"It's better than bacon!"

Let's not get carried away.

Smoked is the only way to go with wild salmon. Otherwise it's way too gamey. The Seahawks on the other hand...not nearly gamey enough!

Posted by: jspaceman72 | December 31, 2007 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Wild salmon poached in zinfandel, minced garlic cloves, and lemon juice is excellent. Smoked salmon is good if you are going camping or hiking.

Posted by: tafka | December 31, 2007 2:12 PM | Report abuse

"Personally, I think Jaleo is great for the RB/Lisa blog-date (with jm220 watching to ensure that no shenanigans ensue)..."
Posted by: PDiddy | December 31, 2007 01:52 PM

Since when are we all so anti-shenanigans?

Posted by: daggar | December 31, 2007 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Billick is Fired.

Posted by: RambleOn | December 31, 2007 2:38 PM | Report abuse

21 is the number. Sean is with the team.

Posted by: Annie-Jazzy | December 31, 2007 3:10 PM | Report abuse