A Rainy Night Ahead?

Timeout for the Capital Weather Gang, in case you're going to FedEx Field tonight:

* Our Full Forecast | Weather Wall *

Redskins vs. Patriots (Preseason)
Friday Aug. 28, 8 p.m., FedEx Field

Kickoff2-Min WarningWeatherChance of Precip.
72-7670-73Muggy50%
I realize a 50% chance of rain sounds about as helpful as a coin flip. But that's the best we can do at the moment. So be prepared for the possiblity of rain, and also plan to check back here for an update later today.

SkinsCast appears before every Redskins home game. Also, if you haven't already, join us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

By Cindy Boren  |  August 28, 2009; 10:30 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Campbell Says He's Ready for Patriots' Test
Next: Blache: 'It's Always Good to See' Springs

Comments

Boo on bad weather... hooray football.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 28, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

TE, that's the best part of FF. As CL adeptly put it, "matching wits" with your fellow competition. If I'm not winning on the fantasy football field, I damn well better make my presence felt in the verbal sparring.

But, doesn't really matter, because I'm going to be winning on the FF field anyway.

Posted by: psps23

Posted by: psps23 | August 28, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

And maybaaaaaayyyy
It's gonna be the rain that saves maaaaaayyy

Just run the baaaaaaalllllll
Says the Weather Waaaaaaaaaallllll....

[Pwnchs Noel Gallahger in mouth]

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 28, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Prediction for tomorrow's WaPo sports headline;
Mother Nature comes to JC's defense.... "another miserable performance by JC can be attributed to the inclement weather...... blah, blah, blah"

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | August 28, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

It wouldn't be the same song without the punch in the mouth.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 28, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Homer McFanboy interviews Football Outsiders:

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | August 28, 2009 10:05 AM

Thanks for the post. The issue here is that we have a general organizational culture to the quick fix. This organization started down the path to bring the WCO to DC. I'm hoping that JZ and the rest of the offensive staff and players are given enough time to develop that identity.

Posted by: TWISI | August 28, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | August 28, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Sierra Indigo Xray.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | August 28, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

So the 'Hamsters' peeps draft was last night? Has the trash talking started yet? Did 4th pick MK/DT/CP?

And who's left in the 'Peeps' peeps league?

50% chance of bad weather tonight? Love weather forecasts.

100% chance that traffic blows...leave 10 minutes ago if you want to get there on time.

Posted by: 4-12 | August 28, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Reeeeeeepost

4th

I used to post under Drama King, It was influenced by the DJ Drama mixtapes and the constant view on the blog at the time that everything was hunky dory re: the 'skins.

For the people that complain that bloggers post with no objectivity, you should read some of the comments from back then... I mean NONE. What. So. Ever.

This offseason was the first time I was reading stuff that I could vibe with. Notably the great discussions about hip-hop and other stuff.

Posted by: RedDMV

Posted by: RedDMV | August 28, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Back to the Redskins...

I was pondering this yesterday, but I remembered the game at Dallas in 2007, which was JC's first real big game for the Skins (well, after Detroit that same year, which doesn't really count). Santana Moss was coming off a hamstring pull, and as such, only played about half the offensive snaps. In those snaps, though, he ended up with 9 receptions for 121 yards and a TD.

Given Moss' fragility, particularly with hamstrings, and given this newfound versatility that the Redskins seem to have found with their WR corp, I'm wondering whether it would be better to rotate the WRs similar to how teams rotate defensive lines or running backs. Most hamstring pulls occur because of fatigue, and keeping Moss fresh at the end of games would certainly assist in preventing this. On top of that, it would allow the Skins to use him more frequently as a punt returner if he's not expected to run routes on every offensive snap of the game. Not that anybody can effectively replace Moss in the lineup, but if Kelly, Thomas, and Mitchell do prove to be legitimate players, I think this could be a good idea (with Randle El as well). Not only would it help prevent injuries, but it would also keep Moss fresh at the end of games, when the opposing DBs are likely more tired from playing many more snaps.

Just a thought.

Posted by: psps23 | August 28, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

I want to see Washington play at FedEx in the snow... I'm talking blizzard of '93 or '96 type snow.

I would go to THAT game.

Do any of you still play football with your friends? Me and mine have a tradition; if there is a substantial snowfall, we all meet up at Lee District in Fairfax and play until one team scores 35.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 28, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Usually I try not to rant but there is way too much Jason Campbell angst.. like or not, he is our QB this season and the team will go as far as he takes them.. in the meantime, there are, as always, some great position battles going on and people need to be more cognizant of them. For example, Big Mike Williams will be cut.. but will resign later in the season. Marko Mitchell will be the 4th wideout with Devin Thomas moving to 5th or perhaps even being ousted by DJ Hackett. Chris Wilson may or may not look better in pass coverage than Brian Orapko but who can tell with all the ridiculous chatter about Campbell.. Dorsey will return punts and Rock may or may not do kickoffs. Todd Yoder may be history if Mike Sellers knee is not a problem. If Yoder is cut, does that make Lorenzo Alexander the backup fullback? If Rock goes, then Ladell Betts will have to be the kick-off returner. Rocky Mac has had a quiet pre-season... does anyone know how he looks? Special teams coverage is poor and some such as R. Thomas, Fincher and Westbrook may be out if they do not improve.

Posted by: iseyij | August 28, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

This is a pretty good analysis, iseyi. I agree with you on Big MikeW. I think there is a possibility that DThomas will return kickoffs, and Rock might be released, if we can get better coverage on punts and KO's. And I agree that Yoder might be released. Sorry Yoder. I think RockyMac has been solid, and knee seems to be holding up well.

Posted by: frediefritz | August 28, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

"I'm hoping that JZ and the rest of the offensive staff and players are given enough time to develop that identity."

I am too...but with the "what have you done for me lately" society on full tilt these days, it's too rare to expect.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | August 28, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

4-12, sfskin with the first overall pick selected Clinton Portis. sween with the 203rd and penultimate pick selected Antwaan Randle El.

All Skins picked in the Hamsters draft, in overall draft order:
1 Portis
58 Moss
59 Cooley
105 Redskins D/ST
131 Campbell
136 Kelly
175 Betts
203 Randle El

There has been some preemptive trash talking in this league.

The Peeps league will be good... you, me, Redcoat, alex, zeke, noone, JohnDinHouston, etc.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 28, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Wait a minute.... Did 4th floor actually get a shout out? Dont let it go to your head!

Posted by: Rush21 | August 28, 2009 10:28 AM

It was actually a SHout Down because of....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 28, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

psps, that was one of your boy's better games. Probably one of his top 5 performances... even though that game ended in a game killing INT.

He was like 23 of 30 for over 300 yards or somehting like that. I thought that day this dude take the 'skins places.

But that was two years ago.

Two years ago I was dating the woman I thought I was going to marry. Today I don't care to speak that conniving 'b' name.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 28, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

4-12, your in the JV league too?

Sadly, I have no Redskins....I think SuzzanePC picked portis @ #1, who was the only one I was thinking about getting....

But with ChRiSs larRy in the picture, I had to think with my brain and not my heart.....I lost last year because I was afraid to put CP and Moss in the semi-finals and they racked up a bunch of points and I lost....Lesson learned..

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 28, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

"And I agree that Yoder might be released. Sorry Yoder."

Dude. I caught just as many TD passes as Cooooley last year.

P.S. I don't want to have to come up with a new name....

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | August 28, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

According to this, Fed Ex Field moved to Baltimore? Thats odd....

Posted by: robrown22 | August 28, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Today I don't care to speak that conniving 'b' name.

I'm asking for details on this.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 28, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

CP 1st overall? sfskin stealin' one from 4th's playbook...

Posted by: 4-12 | August 28, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

"Marko Mitchell will be the 4th wideout with Devin Thomas moving to 5th or perhaps even being ousted by DJ Hackett."

If they are hesitant to cut TYRON, a fourth rounder. Then how, or a better question is, why would they cut Devin Thomas, who is 2nd rounder - their first selection in the '07 draft.

No chance in hell they cut DThomas to make room for DJ Hackett.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 28, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

"According to this, Fed Ex Field moved to Baltimore? Thats odd...."

Beep Beep, hon

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | August 28, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

I'm currently conjuring up a deal to get JC on my squad this year. He'll be ballllin'.

Posted by: psps23 | August 28, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

FRIDAY AFTERNOON UPDATE FROM FEDEX FIELD: In addition to being concerned about the possibility of thunderstorms during this tonight's NFL contest between Washington and New England, security officials at FEDEX Field have allegedly been instructed to thoroughly search everyone entering the stadium and confiscate any chewing gum they may be carrying into the game. Washington Redskins officials are reportedly concerned that someone might try to pass some chewing gum to their star quarterback and thereby render him completely immobile.

Posted by: Vic1 | August 28, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins will finish with a 4-12 record.

Jason Campbell, is definitely not an NFL Quarterback.

It's time to say goodbye to Vincent Cerrato.

Too bad, Danny Snyder.

Danny Snyder loves Penn State.

Maryland basketball will finish with a 15-16 record

No NCAA bid

No NIT bid

Maryland Football will finish with a 2-10 record.

Maryland's defensive line and linebacker corps are a joke --- no pass rush whatsoever and give up a ton of long yardage plays.

I have seen harder hitting teams in powder puff leagues.

The only hard hits the Terps make - are out of bound plays - which cost them an additional 15 yards - which are quite frequent.

California's running back - Best - will gain 296 yards in the opening game

I love it, when Maryland constantly gets embarrassed on national TV.

Prediction:

California -- 56
Maryland -- 10

It's hilarious to see Maryland win a game - and the very next week get clobbered by a Virginia Tech - Boston College.

It is great to see Maryland go down to a crushing defeat on the football recruiting front (the kids they have received commitments from - are a joke! - taking the bottom of the barrel)

Carolina Blue - Carolina WHITE - Go Tar Heels - Let's go Tar Heels !

Posted by: hclark1 | August 28, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse