A Running Back Question

Gene Wang, an NFL editor at the paper, fantasy football guru and draftnik, proposed an unusual scenario to me yesterday. I don't see it happening, but maybe you guys might. Frankly, I'd be stone-cold stunned if this occurred, and even Gene figures it's highly unlikely, but here goes.

What if the Skins don't move up for USC QB Mark Sanchez, and he's not there at 13, and neither is DE Brian Orakpo? Gene wonders that if the Skins can't trade down, if they don't do the most sexy thing possible, and hop on a top running back with Knowshon Moreno likely still on the board?

It would be the ultimate stealth move, I suppose, and they would indeed be getting a skill position guy, but I can't fathom it going down. The Skins already have a ton of money tied up in Clinton Portis, and regardless of what anyone else might think of him, owner Daniel Snyder loves him, the two share an unusually close relationship and Portis pretty much gets to do and say as he pleases. Adding Moreno to an already deep backfield would cause a major maelstrom from Portis, and forget about trading him with his contract essentially guaranteed through 2010.

Now, don't get me wrong, the Skins need an explosive speed back, and that element is sorely missing from this offense, but among the other more pressing needs to me it's a luxury they maybe try to address in the back half of the draft if the right player is there.

So, what do you guys think? Any chance the Skins could shock the football world and grab Moreno or Beanie Wells?

By Jason La Canfora  |  April 23, 2009; 12:30 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Snyder, Cerrato, Zorn Meet the Press
Next: WebChat at 1 pm

Comments

I peson ally don't care if I'm first

Posted by: TheCork | April 23, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

first?

Posted by: OLDNOVA1 | April 23, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sransone | April 23, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

FIRST to say that is a goofy thought . . .

Posted by: Skins63 | April 23, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

...or if I can type

Posted by: TheCork | April 23, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Would love to get a priemer RB; but we need too many players to come in and start NOW - OL and LB.

However if Moreno is there someone might be willing to trade up to secure him... Houston just might jump on him..

Posted by: OLDNOVA1 | April 23, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

No chance, my gut tells me they're going to do the right thing and get a OL at 13 or trade down and get more picks. No Sanchez, No Orakpo, and No Moreno (All will be gone by 13).

Posted by: clark202 | April 23, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

'Shocking' or 'Stupid'
I'd say anything is possible when you have a lunatic for an owner and an idiot in a 'GM-like' role.

What would be the real shock is if Snyder and Cerrato take an OT with the 13th pick and don't trade away any picks from next year's draft.

Posted by: Angelonourshoulders | April 23, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

I don't think they'll do this, given the status of Betts/Portis, but given the choice, I'd take Wells over Moreno.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | April 23, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

O-LIne, D-Line or bust!

Posted by: rskinz34 | April 23, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

nothing shocking about drafting a rb at all- Portis sucks!

Posted by: richard_cranium | April 23, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

i like the idea if only to throw a wrench in Philly's plans!

Posted by: Hail2theChief | April 23, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

I have a big redskins trade rumor over at my column at:

I sent it in. sometimes takes a while to post.

Moreno? Naaah. Maybe another TE....

Be funny if after all this wild speculating and maneuvering, they end up with an OT like Oher....

Posted by: TheCork | April 23, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

JLC,

Are they paying you to type this BS, why don't you go to the park and see if you can get some real news.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 23, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

A center guard prospect in the 3rd round would shut up anyone who would beef about the team taking a slb or Sanchez with the 13th pick.

Center and guards block just like tackles do, and the team could use some depth and versitility behind Rabach and Thomas.

Caldwell didn't get the notice A Smith did at 'Bama, but that's not a bad thing. The guy is a good player, and if you pair him with Rhino and Dock, the team suddenly has three young players to work in the interior of its offensive lines.

Posted by: MistaMoe

I would definitely love that pick. I think there are quality linemen to be had in the later rounds. Jason Peters, whom the Eagles just signed to an enormous contract, was undrafted. We just have to hope the scouts did their jobs well.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | April 23, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

come on Cork, your humping my leg or taking my hair one or the Oher

Posted by: Hail2theChief | April 23, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

"I'd take Wells over Moreno.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg"

LOL

WRONG

Posted by: TheTruth11 | April 23, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

If we were gonna go the RB route we should have done it last year there are a number of legit RBs that came out of that draft. Drafting Mareno in the first dosent make sense for our needs anyways, we could get a rb with the thrid round of a good caliber depending on how things fall guys like Lesean Mccoy, similar electricity and better speed then Moreno. Or even Ian Johnson or shonn Greene, pj hill if you wanted a bigger back which we dont really need. Taking Moreno by trading down just wouldnt fit our pressing needs.

Posted by: Stu27 | April 23, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Wells is bigger, and faster, whats the problem there truth?

Posted by: BeantownGreg | April 23, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

I think if we draft a RB then Rock is off the roster which means Devin Thomas has to return kick offs... I'm just saying is that a really bad thing?

Posted by: Hail2theChief | April 23, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Draft Moreno and move Portis to OL. Again, he is the best blocker we have..

Why are we answering draft questions? Should the JLA "insider" be telling us what the rumblings are??

When can I get paid for posting worthless sh1t.

Does JLA know anything about a possible new deal for Rocky?

Posted by: slimbo-Rice | April 23, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

JLa typical Clinton gets to do whatever he wants dig. Was waiting for it! He's not the problem with this team. And no we won't take a rb at 13. Too much invested in ladell also.

Posted by: AdamCr | April 23, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

i like Oher at #13 and Caldwell in the 3rd round, sounds like a simple, quiet, no flash plan, it fills needs with quality young players, good stuff

Posted by: retroskins14 | April 23, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

one of the 1st 2 picks is going to be a defensive selection...

Posted by: Hail2theChief | April 23, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

I think we should trade dow for 2 2nd round picks and draft some broken WR's and maybe a lazy TE.

Any thoughts?

Posted by: slimbo-Rice | April 23, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Build the line first. The running game will fall in behind it. I don't care what people have to say about Portis, he'd get the job done much more effectively with a healthy line opening the way for him. And he hasn't really had stability in front of him since we traded for him.

Posted by: dfbovey | April 23, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Maybe if we trade back take an RBs (but only on sale with our bag full of picks, and the RBs Horsey sauce), first pick must be offensive Tackle/DE..Portis is good for a few more years and I believe the cap hit is monstrous to move him regardless..We've had this conversation 10 million times already, don't you have anything but leftover scraps in that fridge, JLC??

Posted by: frak | April 23, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

This would be another terrible move but I would support it more than any Sanchez move, especially if we could get a second or third round pick in the deal as well. Then maybe dangle Betts for more picks?

Posted by: mburns134 | April 23, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

betts is not going to draw any offers for picks...

Posted by: Hail2theChief | April 23, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

This is one of the few moves that I would say, "F it, take Sanchez instead." For this team, a RB in the first round would be the 2nd to last thing I would possibly fathom (behind only another TE).

Posted by: psps23 | April 23, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

How do the Eagles stay under the cap 37.5 million and always field a winning team?? Now, THATs an efficient football operation..

Posted by: frak | April 23, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Jasno

This is a dumb discussion topic.

A better topic is: does a team need a stud running back or dominant wideout trio in today's NFL?

Not both, but which?

Would the cardinals have gotten into the Super Bowl without Edgerrin James?

Probably, the back up nobody Highsmith is okay. The stillers got in with Willie Parker and somebody else sharing the rock all season.

Would the cardinals have gotten into the Super Bowl without Boldin, Fitzgerald, and Breaston?

And why this 'No' is the answer to the question- Does a team need a stud running back?- is a better discussion topic.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 23, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Stop.

Just stop.

Please just stop with this.

Posted by: Broman17 | April 23, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

props to mistaMoe!

Posted by: Hail2theChief | April 23, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frak | April 23, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

They do it by spending money on a few good players and having a good coach. To fill out the rest of the teams other 40 players they go to the back of a dunkin donuts and hire anyone digging through the day old donuts.

Posted by: Pleepleus | April 23, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

I think Mr. Gene should go back to playing with his Wang...NEVER gonna happen...

Posted by: eauzmendi | April 23, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Yeah we should wait until the 3rd round for an o-lineman, it worked great last year. JLC what about the talks with Rocky maybe you should read yahoo sports mr. "insider" what a piece of crap you are.

Posted by: rskinz34 | April 23, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

I'm headed to dunkin donuts!!!

Posted by: Hail2theChief | April 23, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Okay, no SBs for the Philly, but still field a competitor..And that 37.5 mill is going straight into that stingy owners shoe (Philly's a tough city, you've got to take precautions)..

Posted by: frak | April 23, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

I'm headed to dunkin donuts!!!

Posted by: Hail2theChief | April 23, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

If you go out back to the dumpster say hi to stew bradley for me.

Posted by: Pleepleus | April 23, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Not both, but which?

------------------------------

Neither. The team "needs" one or the other, more often than not. It's not simply yes to one and no to the other. The Giants don't get to the Super Bowl two seasons ago without their combo of RBs. Their WRs? Outside of Burress, they were replaceable.

When the Steelers got there for Roethlisberger victory 1, it was Willie Parker and Jerome Bettis, not Hines Ward, Randle El, and whoever their 3rd receiver was, that carried the load.

You've just got to decide what's your style and commit to building around it.

Posted by: psps23 | April 23, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

For the past 10 years Philly has fielded a better more competitive team than us (even though we swept them last year, they were in the NFC championship again), their stadium is nicer than ours, they out draft us year after year and mange the cap much better than us while letting players go and signing the right free agents. the only thing the philly doesn't have that we do are REAL FANS!!!

Posted by: Hail2theChief | April 23, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Moe - I think your question leads us in another direction, because history tells us the answer is possibly one, but not both, or maybe even NEITHER. Look at the 'Skins first super bowl victory - Art Monk was hurt and who did they plug in? Charlie Brown? Who? Look at the 1992 Super Bowl year. Did we have a dominant running back? Not really, Byner was solid, but not exceptional that year. I would argue that Clark, Monk and Sanders were all just past their peak as wide recivers that year. In any case, the real driving force in 1992 was the O-Line - Rypien was sacked like, less then 0 times that year. (It was some ridiculously low number)

Look at Denver with their plug and play running backs. It does not matter who they put there, they get over 1,000 yards.

My point is, and it's an obvious and beaten to death point, is that it starts with the line. The line makes a good QB look like Joe Montana, a fair running back look like John Riggins, and average recievers look like Jerry Rice, Art Monk and whoever.

It all starts with the line!

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | April 23, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Hail2theChief | April 23, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

I would argue that they do not have a better stadium. I have been to both and FedEx hands down is nicer, other than the parking. I also would like to see any sort of proof that they draft better. Looking at drafts I see an edge going to washington.

Posted by: Pleepleus | April 23, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, they used to have that police station and jail right in the Vet, complete with a black market in shivs and bull gays in the showers..Those fans was NUTS!!

Posted by: frak | April 23, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

JLC,

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 23, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

I couldn't agree more. I have moved JLC from my go to for Redskins inside info. Rotoworld and Profootballtalk break Skins info way before this that turd JLC does.

Posted by: rbruce2 | April 23, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frak

Seems to me you know a lot about that station. lol

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | April 23, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

I still maintain that what the Skins need are some more offensive weapons. If the FO thinks that Moreno is the second coming of Brian Westbrook, they should draft him.

Posted by: amaranthpa | April 23, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

i would welcome rb-nowshon moreno, having
outside speed never hurts. plus I am
not a Ladell Betts- fan.

Posted by: madalao | April 23, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Three things:

a.) If Portis gets hurt you won't have to worry as much.
b.) Leaving a rapidly aging mostly injured offensive line in place increases the odds of that happening.
c.) Makes more sense than drafting yet another QB in the first round.

Posted by: periculum | April 23, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Pleepleus | April 23, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

You would argue & you would be wrong. their stadium is much nicer and i count getting herded in & out like cattle part of the stadium experience. Let's look at just a few players the Eagles have dafted mcNabb say what you want but he is better than any QB we have had probably ever. Westbrook / we traded for portis did not draft him. look at the defense they used to have. dawkins ( who just left) look at how they draft for their OL/DL every year Patterson, Bunkley we over pay for jason taylor, haynesworth and they draft and raise 'em up. See you were wrong

Posted by: Hail2theChief | April 23, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't this discussed in detail up here yesterday?

Posted by: dlhaze1 | April 23, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: amaranthpa | April 23, 2009

Devin Thomas: ranked best receiver in 2008 draft.
Malcolm Kelly: #2 in the category.
Fred Davis: Best receiving TE in 2008 draft, considered a good blocker.
Santana Moss, Chris Cooley, Portis and Betts.

I they FO/coaching staff need to figure out what to do ALL THE OFFENSIVE weapons they do have don't you think?

They need a young, strong, and aggressive offensive line first.

Posted by: periculum | April 23, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

RB is a clear need, and drafting one would not surprise me at all. Most teams are more than 1-deep at RB and CP is hitting the point in his career where he is likely to start declining. Moreno is too similar to CP -- on the smaller side, lacks top-end speed, good blocker, good all around. I'd think Beanie Wells would be the more likely choice assuming they grade out similarly (not sure they do) as he's a different type of back.

What would surprise me is if anyone would trade up to 13. Not sure there is going to be a guy in high demand at that spot, and if there is, it might very well be for a RB.

Posted by: beatkal | April 23, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

I can't type either.

Posted by: periculum | April 23, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

"and regardless of what anyone else might think of him"

Anyone else would be you, Jason
La CanHater. JLC won't be happy until Rock Cartwright is starting at RB. The Skins will only draft at O-line, D-line, or LB with the 13th pick.

Posted by: dcwun | April 23, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

psps23

'...You've just got to decide what's your style and commit to building around it....'

And here is the answer to the question, why has the redskins' offense been so lame the past couple of years?

We've seen the team weave from 'Fun 'N Gun' to WCO-Zorn over the past six years and the various parts the different coaches have left behind just don't fit.

Adding Sanchez-if it happens-will be more of the same.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 23, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

This RB idea is a perfect example of a few things: our learned behavior of never misunderestimating the potential ineptitude of the Redskins' front office, and our ability to rationalize any move for any player.

If you're willing to overlook the glaring need to bolster the O line -- a willingness the front office has evinced again and again -- then you can go on to make a case for anything. Knowshon Moreno? Sure! Mark Sanchez? Heck yeah! The Ray Guy Award winner? Sure! Everything makes sense in the bizarro front office!

Ugh.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | April 23, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

periculum... Disagreed with you yesterday, and with you today. O-Line is a must.

Posted by: dcwun | April 23, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

and I can't type either. I meant to say agreed with you today.

Posted by: dcwun | April 23, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Actually think they would be far better off trading yet again ... if they can (I suspect that may happen if Sanchez and Orapko are gone. Depending on Snidely's mercurial mood of course.)
and do what you suggest. Getting 2 tackles (in the top 8), 2 guards + center (close to the top ranked) might be better than drafting the one impact guy (like A. Smith) at the top. I don't think they should draft a linebacker that high unless its Curry. Same with DE. I think they can do just as well in the 2nd, and 3rd round.

However, drafting a cornerback like Vontae ... now that would be a different story entirely. That you almost have to do in the 1st round and given Rogers status (not dissimilar to Campbell's) it makes sense.

Posted by: periculum | April 23, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Chris Wells sucks, plain and simple and Moreno isn't all that, neither one are any different than what we already have. Wells really sucks and I can't believe this is even being asked. Wells....sucks.

Posted by: PEACE8 | April 23, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

With Vinny involved, ANYTHING can happen. Moreno wouldn't be a surprise, unless the Skins try to cut ties with someone else on the roster (see also Marcus Mason last year - Rock, Betts, Portis). Dont forget about the punter (Brooks) that was drafted last year (?)...

Posted by: jalenaxle | April 23, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Portis has about 2 years left. RB's are the easiest positions to fill in the NFL. A rookie can be drafted and come in and start at that time. No need to draft one in the first round this year.

Posted by: tramellcanady | April 23, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

I don't see taking a running back as happening. If Portis had a better passing game to support the running game he would not take the pounding he has the last few seasons and he is pretty good without the passing game. Give him fewer hits and a passing game to open some lanes for him, and I think he's a beast.

The Redskins have higher priorities right now with OLB and OL being the two biggest. If they trade down for multiple picks, which I think they should if there are any takers, they should take some interior linemen and linebackers. As they work their way down the draft, I think they should look for another OL. Then I would draft corner, and run it out with best players on the board. The key to this being a good draft is coming out with eventual starters on the o-line and in the linebacker corps. I don't think there will be a decent left tackle available at 13, so if they trade down they can be assured of getting some decent interior linemen. They could upgrade center in the 2nd round (presuming they trade down for at least one second round pick). I think part of their woes on the edge started last year because at least one guard was tag teaming a nose tackle with Rabach. They need a center that can handle big nose tackles on his own. They can grab a decent outside linebacker in the second or maybe even the third round, but I think the quality starts evaporating quickly somewhere late in the third round.

Having said that, I'm all for drafting the local guys and there are two local running backs that could provide depth for the Redskins at running back:

-Cedric Peerman from UVA ran a 4.45 second forty at the combine. He was injury prone in college and for that reason he could fall as low as the fourth round.

-Rashad Jennings from Liberty ran a 4.67 second forty but the guy is a physical runner reminescent of some of the "bulls of the backfield" that Gibbs used to field ala Riggo, Byner, Riggins, etc.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | April 23, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

As far as the Eagles go, stadium, salary cap, draft, whatever...what they have is continuity and that is why have had success. An average player who knows exactly what to do in every situation is better than a more talented player who has to think rather than react. That is why the Eagles have been better than the skins.

Posted by: CTSkins | April 23, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

That speaks to my point CTSkins if you draft a player and teach your methods from day one of their pro career you have more sucess than bringing in a vet who has determined their own way or their old teams way of doing things.

Posted by: Hail2theChief | April 23, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

I would have been all for it before I saw he scored 13 with only 24 answers on the WonderLIC test.

I think I'd rather take beanie wells, but not sure if he fits Zorn's offense.

What I could see them doing is perhaps drafting a Line Backer, or a nother DE if he's there.

Posted by: Veretax | April 23, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Just Stay away from LeSean Mccoy guy scored 11 on his wonderlic at the combine.

Posted by: Veretax | April 23, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Hail, agree totally. Why is it this franchise always assumes that the future starter at every position isn't already on the roster? I would think you should always look there first. Draft for the future not just for next season. You need to count on Thomas, Kelly, Davis, Moore etc. to be successors down the line. How do you get in a good salary cap position? You let go of aging players before they can't play anymore instead of giving them huge contracts late in their careers(the list is too long to provide examples of this activity) and then replace them with players already on your roster. The Giants and Patriots have done this consistently. Of course, maybe we just haven't drafted well, but I think our real sin is not letting our picks develop and deciding too quickly they can't play. New coaches every few years exacerbates this problem.

Posted by: CTSkins | April 23, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Interesting, but no. No one could run (or pass) behind our O-line in the second half of last year. The need for younger, stronger O-lineman is too great. And the DE or LB positions are next. These holes must be addressed immediately.

Posted by: kirk8 | April 23, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins leadership is senseless. It is hard to make sense out of the senseless. But your idea is viable. Portis has taken a beating and Betts is just not real durable. They are weak overall at running back for sure.

But again, making sense is just not logical with the Redskins. I mean did we really solve Dan Snyder's desire for that big receiver? Oops that was the idea du jour of a year ago.

If they get Sanchez I take it that he will only start if Campbell (a great guy) gets hurt or is ineffective in a game. Is that the brain trust explanation???

Aren't we running the East Coast Offense this year? Or maybe the Illegal Immigrant Southern Border Offense because the Illegals seem to be picking up good yardage.

Posted by: hz9604 | April 23, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Portis was injured the second half of the season and that was quite evident. The trend in the NFL is to have a two back system. Why not draft a RB who has speed and catch the ball in the backfield. Another scenario to consider is if Wells or Moreno slip lower, trade the #13 pick for a 3rd and late 1st and draft an RB and another need position. I trust the skins when it comes to drafting....as contrary to belief.

Posted by: amavroukakis | April 23, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Right around week eight last year, the entire team looked like a MASH unit at the front, Ladell was out, Springs was out, O-line taped and doped up, we began the downwaRd spiral..Portis was hurt with no legit backup nto spell him, but ever the trooper he stuck it out..Betts had a SPRained knee, but he's a solid player when he's healthy, though sometimes does fumble (aside from Riggo, who doesn't??)..Rock, though, is solid on both sides of the ball on special teams, he's a special teams warrior, and can break one in the backfield occasionally..Probably should get a quality back in the later rounds or(this year, all-important) undrafted signee period..We need to find gems in the udrafted crop..

Posted by: frak | April 23, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

I say forget about Sanchez and take your picks and trade down to Day 2 and collect more 1st and 2nd round 2010 picks. Then KEEP them so we have a lot of picks to fix a lot of holes next year. Get folks off the street or some hungry day 2 guys for the current holes. If it works great, if not the cupboard is full of picks to work with next year.

Posted by: KLynch4626 | April 23, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

I have thought about the possibility of the skins taking Moreno at #13. I live in GA and had the pleasure of watching him play. He is a great back and actually reminds me of Portis. Skins need more offense, and they can draft an OT in the 3rd round. I disagree that the skins have a deep backfield, there is a great deal of drop off after Portis. Portis cannot take the number of carries he used to, Moreno is a good move in my view.

Posted by: pastorbobs | April 23, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

I was thinking the same thing. I love Portis, but he's getting up there in years and we could use an upgrade.

Posted by: COskins | April 23, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Devin Thomas: ranked best receiver in 2008 draft.
Malcolm Kelly: #2 in the category.
Fred Davis: Best receiving TE in 2008 draft, considered a good blocker.
Santana Moss, Chris Cooley, Portis and Betts.

They need a young, strong, and aggressive offensive line first.

Posted by: periculum | April 23, 2009 1:21 PM

Thomas, Kelly, Davis: not on the field. That makes it somewhat difficult to produce scores. Do I think there is potential? Yeah. But until I see even a glimpse of it on the field, I will continue to breathe and look for dynamic offensive weapons.

Betts and Portis: decent and very good RB, neither of which has breakaway speed or a real nose for the goal line.

Moss: Very good receiver when healthy, average when not. Not has been the norm more often than not lately.

Cooley: A quality 2nd tier TE but no game breaker (if he was, he would be first tier).

Of the guys that actually play, I think they all would benefit from an additional dynamic offensive player or two (be it a RB/WR/QB or TE). I like these guys but they have not been able to score on a regular basis for years. Could it be play calling or style or O-line? Perhaps. But Portis scored a TD once every 38 carries last season - that will not cut it. [For some comparison, McGahee once every 24, Westbrook - 26, Jacobs - 15! and Barber - 34] He has not had a run over 40 yards since 05. We have no credible receiving threat outside of a healthy Moss. Todd Yoder had as many TDs as Cooley last year. That can't all be on the O-line. The Skins have not really been an offensive threat since 2005 regardless of the line, and were inconsistently potent at best that year (hence the hiring of Saunders after the season).

Posted by: amaranthpa | April 23, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Zorn no make playoffs this year= No Zorn next year

Posted by: frak | April 23, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Since we're talking nonsense, here goes:

The 'Skins and Chiefs swap spots. We add in Cooley to sweeten the deal. (The Chiefs just traded Gonzalez to the Falcons, so they need a TE. The Skins can get by with Fred Davis.)

The Skins draft Sanchez with the 3rd pick and then deal him and another pick to Seattle in exchange for Hasselbroke and Seattle's 4th pick. (Hasselbroke has a few years left, and he'll be reunited with Zorn, so no learning curve.)

The Skins draft a stud OL with the 4th pick, possibly Eugene Monroe.

The bottom line: The Danny needs to make a splash, and sitting at 13 is no cannonball.

Posted by: MyRedStapler | April 23, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

We had a back who was pretty explosive last year. His name was Marcus Mason, snatched off the practice squad by Baltimore and now with the Jets. He led the team in rushing during the preseason last year. Why jump through hoops to get another RB when the one we've got is mortgaged up the wazoo to the Redskins? Portis needs some decent OL people in front of him not another RB. Move Jansen and Samuels to backups.

Posted by: bullwinkle1 | April 23, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

I trust the skins when it comes to drafting....as contrary to belief.

Posted by: amavroukakis | April 23, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

I agree. What I haven't seen acknowledged here amid the rants about their draft acumen is that the skins retention rate for their draft picks is high. I saw a comparison chart before last years' draft comparing the previous five years of all the teams (from 2003-2007), and the skins ranked 11th, which is not too shabby.

Of course, this just makes the fact that they've given (too) many of them up as part of some bad trades even more objectionable.

Posted by: sysadb420 | April 23, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Sanchez to Skins is enormous risk for Zorn tenure. But if they fill the breech at RT with a quality player also, can't deny that it might work...

Posted by: frak | April 23, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

I think its a very stupid move that Daniel Snyder might consider... you know, since he's the worst football decision maker ever. He's definitely a good businessman but makes crappy trades and decisions. I wish he would just hire a general manager to help us build the Redskins as a true franchise. So excuse my rambling, I think its a nonsense pick that shouldn't happen, and probably won't. I don't think Moreno has come in for a private workout has he? Isn't that essential for even Snyder when considering a first round pick? I guess we'll see....

Posted by: pakimonster | April 23, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

No RB in this draft is worth the 15th pick. Plain and simple. There is no Peterson, no McFadden. I don't see the RB thing happening. it has not been identified as an area of need by the front office. No matter how stupid their moves, the positions selected with high picks never come out of right field.

Posted by: BT23 | April 23, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

can't see the skins taking Knowshawn - maybe James Davis RB Clemson in the 5th round?

Posted by: coparker5 | April 23, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

What would REALLY shock the world is if the Redskins choose linemen, with their first two earliest picks. Perhaps even all their picks. Bottom line they suck hard on the line - doing anything else early would be insane.

Posted by: ndickover | April 23, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

This would be the best thing ever. Portis is terrible. I would love to have another running back in here-especially one who displays humility and the ability to gain more than 3.3 yards a carry during the later parts of the year. I'm also pretty sure Knowshon could break off a run of longer than 11 yards over the course of the last 7 games of the year. No word on whether or not he would install a shark tank in his home or not.

Posted by: Kohlrums | April 24, 2009 8:02 AM | Report abuse

Also no word on if Knowshon would "do it all for Sean Taylor".

Posted by: Kohlrums | April 24, 2009 8:08 AM | Report abuse

Also no word on if Knowshon would "do it all for Sean Taylor". Please keep in mind that "doing it all for Sean Taylor" consists of whining, throwing your coach and QB under the bus, wanting to play in another system, falling down without being touched, appearing to suffer from Vertigo, and averaging under 3 yards a carry against the Bengals.

Posted by: Kohlrums | April 24, 2009 8:09 AM | Report abuse

If you really want a RB

Trade down for James Davis out of Clemson, Ian Johnson Boise or take a late flyer on Chris Ogbonnaya from Texas or Kyle Bell out of CSU.

Posted by: dcinmd1 | April 25, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse