A Shorts and Shells Kind of Practice

Jason Reid calls in this early update from the morning practice....players are in shorts and shells, so the action will be dialed back a bit this morning and there will be no practice Friday, with the game Saturday in the Hoffalands.

Antwaan Randle El was not practicing and his left wrist, which was stomped on in Saturday's victory over Buffalo, was still wrapped. Jason Taylor watched a few plays in 11-on-11s, then took the field. Seemed to be moving well and having no problems with his plantar fasciitis.

Vernon Fox was in at free safety again for LaRon Landry; Carlos Rogers, Fred Smoot and Shawn Springs were switching off at corner. Rookie Chris Horton was getting reps at strong safety in place of Reed Doughty. Doughty appears to be fine, so don't read too much into that. They were simulating late-game situations and probably just want the kid to get some experience. Obviously, Jason will check on Doughty after practice.

Landry, Anthony Mix and Malcolm Kellly are not practicing. H.B. Blades was doing drills with his position group; Mix (his right knee wrapped) and Kelly were riding stationary bikes in the medical staff's tent. Stephon Heyer was working individually with team strength coaches on backpedaling into pass protection and getting off on the ball in run blocking.

By Cindy Boren  |  August 14, 2008; 9:53 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Guest Blog - A Skins Fan At Cowboys Camp
Next: Cartwright's Ribs Take a Blow; Doughty Has a Bug

Comments

Posted by: first | August 14, 2008 9:20 AM | Report abuse

2nd!

Posted by: cosmofla | August 14, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Bronze!

Posted by: JinxMan7997 | August 14, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- The New England Patriots signed veteran cornerback Ade Jimoh on Wednesday to bolster a position that has been depleted by injuries and free-agent losses.

Posted by: Quinn | August 14, 2008 9:10 AM

Man, Brett Favre is going to pick apart New England. And we better hope we've got all the safeties we need in camp already because if we have to go to the market we'll be picking the guy worse than Ade Jimoh. And, we better not put any safeties on the practice squad because NE will snatch them.

Posted by: Mull It | August 14, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Erasmus James at the moment is doing little....he isn't in the 11-on-11 drill.

Posted by: Cindy | August 14, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

AA -

That helps. Thank you.

I am in Fretta so both bars would be a little bit of a drive. It will be worth it, though, to hang out with fellow fans instead of indifferent Falcons fans at the Mac.

Posted by: CBT | August 14, 2008 9:24 AM

repost

Posted by: CBT | August 14, 2008 9:31 AM | Report abuse

from PFT,

Now this made me LMAO,

JOHNSON SAYS HE COULD BEAT PHELPS
Posted by Mike Florio on August 14, 2008, 7:32 a.m. EDT
Apparently irritated by the fact that there’s an athlete not named Chad Johnson who’s getting so much attention, the athlete currently named Chad Johnson said Wednesday that he could beat Olympic swimming stud Michael Phelps.

The declaration came Wednesday on ESPN’s Pardon the Interruption, in a segment during which Johnson addressed various topics.

“The problem with Michael Phelps is there’s no competition where he is,” Johnson said. “Now if he came to where I’m from, which is the inner city, Liberty City [in Miami], I was the three-time Charles Hadley Pool champ. . . . I know a couple people who could beat Michael Phelps right now. Seriously, I’m telling you. And I’m one of them.”

It’s unknown whether Johnson would want a head start, like he did when he raced a horse a couple of years ago.

Meanwhile, it’s also unknown whether Johnson was asked about his effort to change his surname to “Ocho Cinco.” We reported on the bizarre (but, considering the source, understandable) maneuver on Tuesday night.

Posted by: kmdp4 | August 14, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse

"getting off on the ball" THe 8th grader in me laughed his ass off about this.

Posted by: Mike H. | August 14, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: CBT | August 14, 2008 9:24 AM

I am not sure where Fretta is ? Gwinnett County ? Cheyyenne's Grill is what I prefer of the two. They just put up a brand new 50-somethin inch flat screen at the end of last season with a few mid-sized plasma's scattered around the other walls showing Redskins games too. They have a couple couches & club chair right up in front of the big screen too. (Gotta get there early for those spots.) On non conference AFC type games we'll get about 10-15 , but for division games it can get packed with 20-25. Last year for the Seattle play-off game we had like 30-35 strong. It should be worth the drive this season. The Bucket Shop is good too. I like the food there better. But the fans are older and a little more subdued and quite. Try both if you can, and see which one you like better. I bounce around from one to another but I prefer Cheyenne Grill better (hope I spelled that right. Hope you make it out for the games.

Posted by: AA | August 14, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

km, thats just so funny. I hope, I truly hope he was kidding.

Posted by: Greg | August 14, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Alpharetta

Posted by: CBT | August 14, 2008 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Do they always carry the sound for the games? Or do they turn down the Redskins game and have the sound for the Falcons gaems?

Posted by: CBT | August 14, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Cheyenne Grill? Cheyenne was was a great Native American nation of the midwest. Fitting place for a Redskins bar.

Posted by: Mull It | August 14, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

1) WTF is wrong with Chad Johnson. Thank god he didn't come here. The NFC East is full of a bunch of pansy wannabe celebrities as it is with the players the Cowgirls, Eagles, and Giants have or have recently had on their team.

Redskins now are the class of the NFC East, while everybody else has soap opera drama we're just working hard, keeping our mouth shut (minus Smoot) and BALLING.

Also, some idiot Cowboy fan on the last post said some people become bandwagon Cowboy fans because "it's the cool thing to do".

LMAO

When did being an idiot become cool? NO THANKS.

HAIL

Posted by: The Truth in 1st person | August 14, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Got ya CBT,
I work in Alpharetta.
Probably Bucket Shop would be the closer of the two (just 8-10 miles down 400, exit 2) Hope you make it down. The more the merry.

Later.

Posted by: AA | August 14, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

To continue last night's convo about fair weather fans, I think it is much more prevalent in the eyes of a displaced fan living within the area of another team's fanbase. I live nearby Philly, and I think that their fans are the absolute worst. They are the most obnoxious (and proud of this), and the most fair weatherwed, in my opinion. But If I lived in New York, I would probably be saying the same thing about Giants fans. It is definitley tough living in another team's city. As far as teams go, I hate the cowboys the most, but I hate Eagles FANS more than any others. Granted, there are plenty of good seeds in the bunch, but the majority of the fanbase is terrible, for all of the sports up here. Kind of funny; Jimmy Rollins on the Phillies just called out the fans for what they are on the radio yesterday:
"When asked be the hosts if Philadelphia sports fans were tough to play for, Rollins had this blunt opinion:

"There are times," he said. "I might catch some flak for saying this, but, you know, they're front-runners. When you're doing good, they're on your side. When you're doing bad, they're completely against you."

Translation: They are fair-weather. And I couldn't agree more. IMO he is just saying what probably every other Philly athlete thinks/knows, but just won't say. This just happened yesterday, so it should be pretty fun to watch this play out.......

One last thing; Redksins fans Rule! One stat says it all: consecutive sellouts. Nuff said.

Posted by: dlhaze | August 14, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: CBT | August 14, 2008 9:51 AM

They always carry sound. They have us isolated off in a seperate room. Because we were being too noisy for the Bills Fans that occupy the other side of the bar. I just think they are still bitter from that whippin they took in 92'. So yes we get full sound. No falcons fans.

Posted by: AA | August 14, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Is D-Thomas working with the 1st team Off.? Getting kinda anxious to see our one of our new Wide Outs

Posted by: Kid Bro Sweets | August 14, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

LMAO
When did being an idiot become cool? NO THANKS.

HAIL
Posted by: The Truth in 1st person | August 14, 2008 9:53 AM

Truth, I kind of agree with what he said. Back in the 90's it was way cool to buy cowboys jerseys and hats, even if you couldn't name a single player on their defense besides Deion Sanders. Same thing happened with Yankees hats back then, and pretty much today, Red Sox hats. I was in Key West on vacation this past January and I can garauntee that of all the baseball caps I saw people wearing (guys and girls) at least 50% were Red Sox. Now you can't tell me that half the baseball hat wearing population on vacation are seriously Sox fans......There were som many people with Emmit Smith Jerseys in the 90's it was unbeleiveable.....just a fad though.

Posted by: dlhaze | August 14, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone know if someone is maintenancing Lindsay Applebaum's pipes ?

Posted by: Slippery Richard | August 14, 2008 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Note to AA: I am here in the Atl. skins fan all my life work here in Marietta,moved here to be close to my kids and grandkids born and raised in DC wear my burgundy and gold year in and year out keep the faith NFC champs 08 "book it"

Posted by: dargregmag@aol.com | August 14, 2008 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone know if someone is maintenancing Lindsay Applebaum's pipes ?

Posted by: Slippery Richard | August 14, 2008 10:05 AM

Sorry, Richard - the line is very long and the qualifications are stringent, so you don't qualify anyway.

However, we have great news for you! Our high-powered "Natural Match" supercomputer has determined the best available partner for you currently is Ms. Paula Deen. Please fill out and forward the release forms and we will provide you with the pertinent contact information immediately.

Congratulations and thank you for using the "Natural Match" system!

Posted by: The RI Coupling Committee | August 14, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Mull It | August 14, 2008 9:26 AM

No kidding, supposedly they're looking at old man John Lynch as well.

Posted by: skinswest | August 14, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Mull It | August 14, 2008 9:26 AM

No kidding, supposedly they're looking at old man John Lynch as well.

There not just looking they signed him.

Posted by: kmdp4 | August 14, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Not exactly sure how much Lynch has left in the tank. They're getting a little long in the tooth with that defense, Harrison, Lynch, A. Thomas, T. Bruschi, M. Vrabel. At some point in time, the wheels will start to fall off.

Posted by: Greg | August 14, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse