The NFC East -- and Other Observations

Let's take a quick trip around the league, starting with the NFC East. Am I the only one who thinks it's a little odd how the Giants are 2-0, and nobody talks about them at all? They have had two impressive outings (yes, one came against that CFL team in St. Louis, but still...) and seem to be quietly going about their business after years of Tiki/Strahan/Shockey/Coughlin drama.

I chatted with Renaldo Wynn, former Redskin who now plays for the Giants, and he said the team is very much aware of all the attention going to Favre, or the Cowboys, or the Eagles, or Tom Brady's injury, or the blown calls in the Denver game. They are eating this up.

"This is just how we like it, man," Wynn said.

The defending champs are, like, what, the 10th-most talked about thing in the NFL right now, if that? Following that wild Monday night game between the Eagles and Cowboys, and Jason Campbell's big game, and Jim Zorn's first win, shoot, the Giants weren't even getting much traction within the division, much less the entire league.

I still think BBM will have moments in which he doesn't look the part, and will struggle, but if Burress and Pierce are healthy I think the Giants will be a force in the playoffs.

As for the other two teams in the NFC East, not much defense being played the other night, eh? The Cowboys at least put some pressure on the QB off the edge, but both secondaries looked very vulnerable. Dallas losing safety Roy Williams might not even be a bad thing, since he is one of the most overrated players in the league. The Eagles should be set at corner, but Dallas was getting receivers deep far too easily.

The NFC East looks like the old AFC West these days. The Giants are still a power running team, and the Skins and Cowboys sprinkle that stuff in, but Reid, Garrett and Zorn want to throw the football, and have no lack of aggression in how they attack a defense. Makes for a lot of fun games, that's for sure.

The one trend that sticks out to me leaguewide is the number of coaches who appear to be in hot water. I know there's always a carousel up here, but this could be ridiculous. It's only mid-September, and things could change, but off the top of my head, who here would be shocked if changes were made in Oakland, Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit, Kansas City, San Fran, Minnesota and/or Cleveland? It's rare to see guys fired midseason, but Oakland and St. Louis in particular could be headed down that path. (Al Saunders as the interim coach of the Rams?) Then you have Holmgren retiring in Seattle at the end of the year, and the annual Tony Dungy question in Indy. Heck, we're talking about a third of the league changing hands, possibly. Crazy.

I'll post some more stuff from open locker room, which starts at noon, and at 1 p.m. I'll be doing my weekly chat.

By Jason La Canfora  |  September 18, 2008; 11:59 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins Unrestricted: Brooks Under Pressure
Next: Blache Preps for Cards, Addresses Injuries

Comments

BEast!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Damn--a new thread always pops up after I post.

By Jarrett Bell, USA TODAY
PALM BEACH, Fla. — NFL coaches are going back to school on the coin toss.

League owners adopted the college rule that allows the option to decide whether to kick off or receive the football until the second half after winning the pregame toss.

"It just gives you another option," said Jacksonville Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio.

Under the previous rule, NFL coaches almost always elected to receive the ball after winning the toss. College coaches defer more than 90% of the time.

Del Rio thought the new rule will prompt NFL coaches to defer more than half of the time.

"But if you have Peyton Manning," he said, "you might take the ball and get up seven."

Added Cleveland Browns coach Romeo Crennel: "College coaches defer all the time. I don't think I'd defer a lot because I like my offense; I want them to have the ball as many times as possible."

=========
You know I thought I understood this strategy, but now I don't think so. If they want the ball in second half they can just choose to kick first.

Posted by: Not Anonymous | September 18, 2008 12:01 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 18, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Collins should have started as soon as Saunders got here; DC probably would have won more games in that time. Campbell played well vs. 'aints but still needs to work on peripheral vision. He locked in on Moss on the winning TD pass. What will he do when the good teams take away his primary receiver? Enough about systems. Any top QB can look around the field, find the open man, and deliver the ball on time regardless of the "system". What DC fan doesn't want to see that?
Posted by: Realness | September 18, 2008 11:41 AM

Actually, his primary receiver on that play was Antwaan Randle El. He locked on to Moss because he was hoping to draw the defenders to Moss, in order to open up the field for ARE. When it became obvious that Moss had beaten the defense, he stuck with Moss because he was the deep threat. Therefore JC had the proper manipulation of the defense from the start, and took advantage of it when they didn't bite. Thinking on the fly.

Posted by: psps23 | September 18, 2008 12:01 PM

Posted by: psps23 | September 18, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

hey Chumpfora....with their victories against the CFL Rams and against your proclaimed worst run franchise in the history of the NFL, why would you expect them to get any props from the rest of the league?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Maybe not...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 18, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Clinton Portis will never be as good as I was.
Yeah, I'm a hater. So what, step to me dog.

Posted by: Brian Mitchell | September 18, 2008 11:51 AM

CP needs to worry more about winning games than what Brian f-ing Mitchell has to say about him.

Vinny needs to worry more about putting together a winner and less about radio.

And folks wonder why we'll never win with this regime...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 18, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

"Dallas losing safety Roy Williams might not even be a bad thing, since he is one of the most overrated players in the league."

Hey, that's {sniff} my safety you're talking about! {sniff}. It's unfair, man!

Naw, dog, go ahead and rip Roy Willy. We are crying NO tears over this injury. Hell, put him on IR.

Posted by: iCowboyFan | September 18, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

It sure gets old spoon feeding you babies.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 11:46 AM
-------------------------

But not as good as getting breast-fed by your mother.

Mmmm, milk does a body good.

Posted by: Booyakasha | September 18, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

iCowboyfan = iRobot ?

Posted by: Zebra | September 18, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Hey stop picking on my son. I don't want to have to go back up to his bedroom and bring him a plate of cookies and some milk to make him feel better after being picked on while posting here.

Stop picking on my boy!

Posted by: Anonymous' Mom | September 18, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Actually, the national media is once again talking about the Giants being contenders. However, they have only beat us - by 9 points - and we totally shut them down in the second half - and the Rams - enuff said? Of course, they play Cincy this weekend so will roll into their bye week 3-0.

Posted by: Lisa | September 18, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa | September 18, 2008 12:16 PM

Don't they have some more cupcakes following their bye also? They get Seattle at home, go to Cleveland, and then get San Fran at home following their bye. They could very well be 6-0 before heading to Pittsburgh. I guess that's why we call it the NFC BEAST.

Posted by: psps23 | September 18, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Thinking on the fly.

Posted by: psps23 | September 18, 2008 12:01 PM

--------------------

Thinking on the fly pattern, as it were.

Posted by: Realness | September 18, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Here's a little tidbit from John Clayton's mailbag on ESPN.com:

To Ken in Phoenix, I would love to vote Russ Grimm into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. As a voter, I have voted for him several times, but it's going to be hard the next couple of years because of some star defensive players and big-name offensive players. We have a tough backlog.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 18, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

ESPN 980 midday host, Vinny Jong-Il

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Al Saunders as coach in St Louis? Are you kidding me?

Have you stopped to think about how that offense with Pro Bowl talent at the key positions can't put any points on the board?

Sounds like a familiar tune everywhere Mr Saunders goes. Look back at the guys history and you will see the only reason he's so highly regarded is the great running game they had in KC. But that was due to great OL and RBs.

Bringing in Saunders was a huge mistake for Gibbs. He caved to pressure after the dismal playoff performance. They should have stayed the course with Musgrave and kept evolving.

Posted by: Jason | September 18, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Did someone say cookies?

I've got the oven on and tea is almost ready. Kisses,

Dick Cheney

Posted by: Dick Cheney | September 18, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

iCowboyfan = iRobot ?

Posted by: Zebra | September 18, 2008 12:13 PM

Is iRobot somebody's posting handle? Either way, the answer to your ? is no.

Posted by: iCowboyFan | September 18, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

"You can't make this crap up.

Posted by: Anti-Swiftboat Redskin Fans for Surrealism | September 18, 2008 11:49 AM

Nearly as surreal is good ole Joe Biden trying to convince me that paying higher taxes is patriotic while we should surrender our efforts in Iraq."

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 11:54 AM

IS THAT ALL YOU GOT?

Did you forget to mention Clintons' Hummer or Obama's middle name? You got no FACTS to argue, so all you can do is attack opponents.

You must be rich, since you fear the Dems will remove the giveaway cut to YOUR taxes. They've promised not to increase taxes on the middle class and the poor.

McCain lies by saying he "won't raise taxes," while hiding behind insidious sneaky taxes that affect the poor and middle class.

For instance, McCain would force Americans to pay taxes on their medical insurance. If you're sick or injured...BANG your taxes go up, under McCain.

Even if you're healthy, your taxes go up under McCain. You'll now BE TAXED on the money corporations invest in your health care (you aren't now.)

TELL me you aren't being "taxed" terrible as your savings and investments wash away under Bush's hands-off policies toward business. And don't forget McCain voted WITH Bush more than 90%. He's his Huggy Snuggle Buddy.

Clinton got a Hummer but when he left office there was a SURPLUS in the Treasury. With BUSH it's a TRILLION-dollar deficit and a financial meltdown taking money out of the pockets of honest, hard-working Americans--and even the fools who elected him.

You can see why Sarah appeals to McCain--even for reasons other than she has a fine aZZ he likes to check out.

See, she made sure RAPE VICTIMS had to PAY to be examined in the emergency room. This is the fine, small town values that twit has.

You're poor, you're raped? You can't afford to pay for a rape kit? The rapist gets away with it.

McCAIN and PALIN. Tax and screw the poor, CUT taxes for the rich.

They deserve each other. The country doesn't deserve either of them.

Posted by: Anti-Swiftboat Redskin Fans for Surrealism | September 18, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Just a joke that cowboys fans are robots and only like their team because of the bandwagon phenomena. i guess it wasnt a very good joke since no one caught it, oh well

Posted by: Zebra | September 18, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Hey did I mention that I'm a POW?

Posted by: J. McCain | September 18, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

HE WAS ON "MIKE AND MIKE IN THE MORNING"!!!!

You can't make this crap up.

Obama will be on Mike and Mike next week. Give it up.

Posted by: Vast Rightwing Conspiracy | September 18, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

I want to pixs of Lindsey Czarniak from her blog. Not Chris I am a Moron Cooley!
Show us something girl. Do your best Brittany imitation. You always gave Gibbs and boss Hog woodies!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

I get sooooooooooooo tired of the "we get no respect" mantra. Or in CP's case " The haters keep hatin' on me".

The Giants won the Super Bowl...LAST YEAR! And then lost two of their top tier players (Shockey & Strahan). The go out and keep us in the game in the 4th qtr. ( They should have blown us out.) Then they arein another 4th qtr battle against the sorry azz Rams. ( Yes they eventually pulled way ahead. )What do they expect from the public??

Posted by: Rodney Dangerfield | September 18, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Did I mention change? What do you mean specifics? That's not specific enough for you. You know...it's change like different than the things going on now. That's some good policy huh?

Posted by: Barack Obama | September 18, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

where is Cool Guy today?

loved his stories yesterday

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Nice diarhea of the mouth swifty. Now address the simple idea that Biden proclaims that paying higher taxes is "patriotic". I don't care who raises taxes, the democrats or the republicans, but the idea of paying more as being "patriotic" makes me throw up in my mouth.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

But, but I'm a POW.

That and I picked a lady to be VP because she has foreign policy experience since she can see Russia from Alaska.

Posted by: John McCain | September 18, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

I want to pixs of Lindsey Czarniak from her blog.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 12:45 PM

Posted by: Say what???? | September 18, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

I want to pixs of Lindsey Czarniak from her blog.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 12:45 PM

Posted by: Say what???? | September 18, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Zebra | September 18, 2008 12:41 PM

I've been a fan since I was 14. W/o getting specific, I've been a diehard fan for a few decades! Trust me, I've suffered through plenty of bad times.

Posted by: iCowboyFan | September 18, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

If weird Al becomes the HC there I assume he will bench bulger for green. Make sure he does not do it till late october though.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 18, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

I loved telling my life-experiences yesterday until the blog censored them.

Talk about hating the 1st Amendment.

Posted by: Cool Guy | September 18, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to raise pretty much everyone's taxes but instead of calling it a tax-hike I'll refer to it as a temporary refund adjustment.

Posted by: John McCain | September 18, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

No, i figured as much. i just read Icowboy and thought of instead your name could be irobot... hate to say it but I respect any long standing fan. hate those who didnt like them but switched allegiance in the 90's

Posted by: Zebra | September 18, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Also, can someone explain the ups/downs of "deferring" when you win the coin toss (toin coss)? Why does the team that wins and defers always seem like they want to receive in the second half?

Posted by: dcsween | September 18, 2008 10:56 AM

Sween - I don't know if anyone gave you the correct answer (notice the word correct), but here it goes.....

You were at the game on Sunday, right? Ok, so NO wins the Toss. If they elected to take the ball, than their 1st drive would have been against 90,000 screaming fans, so that 1st series outcome may not be good.

But, they didn't do that, they deferred to the 2nd half. You can't tell me there were 90,000 loud fans at the very begininng of the 2nd half. Everyone is still using the bathroom or getting something to eat. So, at the beginning of the 2nd half it can much much quiter for the visiting team. And this resulted for NO a TD on that 1st drive of the 2nd half.........

Get it?

It can work for a home team, as well, but def advantage to away teams deferring to the 2nd half.......

Posted by: 4th | September 18, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Agree with everyone's analysis on what the Skins need to do Sunday (pressure Warner, another good game for Campbell,etc). Let's hope our guys can cover Boldin and Fitz without drawing any PI penalties....these 2 seem to draw alot, especially with the way Fitzgerald wins so many jump balls.......also need to hope that the coaches have had a talk with dirty 30 in regards to his taunts when he makes a good play. I love his style, but he does make me cringe whenever he celebrates at the expense (in the face) of the receiver he just busted up. I almost wish he had caught a flag LAST week (to get him thinking), as I see him being very busy this Sunday....

Posted by: dlhaze | September 18, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: John McCain | September 18, 2008 12:48 PM

Don't forget that Mount Mckinley is the highest peak in North America, therefore she has experience with space exploration.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

I would say the point is to hope to get the last drive of half one and the first of half 2, put up points in both sittys and demoralize the other team.

Posted by: Zebra | September 18, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Hey, that's {sniff} my safety you're talking about! {sniff}. It's unfair, man!

Posted by: iCowboyFan | September 18, 2008 12:07 PM

I love everything about this post. Both content and identity of the poster.

Also, on the coaching carousel starting up so quickly, Don Banks at SI.com just wrote up a long article about this. Jasno has it correct though (except for Crennel in Cleveland ... Savage might be in trouble ... but I think everyone is just melting down there b/c they've suffered so many injuries ... and one of the offseason FA DT signings is turning out to be a bust).

Posted by: dcsween | September 18, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: John McCain | September 18, 2008 12:52 PM

No matter what I do, though, I will never try to convince the American people that raising taxes, no matter how they are veiled, is the "patriotic" thing to do.....especially while I am suggesting that we put our tails between our legs and surrender our efforts in Iraq. No, our founding fathers would not stand for this. They were wise enough to know that, no matter how unpopular issues are, that we as the great United States of America must stand up to injustices. Thank the Lord for them having the convictions for the Boston Tea Party and the American Revolution.

May this country once again discover the convictions and courage to live by the ideals that made this such a great Country.

Posted by: John McCain | September 18, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Not Anonymous | September 18, 2008 12:01 PM

NO NO NO. You can not choose ever to KICK.

You can only choose ONCE. If you choose in the 1st half, the other team gets to choose in the 2nd half!

So, you choose to kick in the 1st half, and the other team will choose to receive in the 2nd half......

Posted by: 4th | September 18, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 12:48 PM

Contributing your share to your country - sounds patriotic to me. Better than GWB telling us to just go shopping after 9-11.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

At least I have some experience. Well except being a community activist.

I mean all i've done is run a state...

Posted by: Sara Palin | September 18, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed in the White house we have a Bush and a crazy old goat. If the Republicians win the election we will have a crazy old goat and a bush.

Go Skins. Go #17

Posted by: GLFLVER3 | September 18, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 12:48 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 1:03 PM

There is a reason 85% of welfare recipients vote democrat. It aint to "do their part"

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Personally I have no problem with my taxes. My problem is always where the government wastes my tax dolor.

Because Dem's and Republicans have had us in debt for the past 50 years a huage percentage of every $ you pay in taxes goes to paying off the interest on the debt. Someone told me its 20% of all taxes collected but that sound high, I would guess its closer to 10%. But every dolor spent on paying that interest ends up being one lost that could either, not be taxed or go to the schools or our infrastructure.

Simple fact is, any time we add more to the debt we are making it so your taxes work less for you and increasing the need to raise taxes.

I don't think its "patriotic" to pay taxes, but it is unpatriotic to loophole ones way out of paying their fair share of taxes to their country.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 18, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Wow! Is it only 85%?!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 18, 2008 1:06 PM

Gotta say we agree about something, Alex.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

A young teenage girl was about to finish her first year of college. She considered herself to be a very liberal Democrat but her father was a rather staunch Republican.

One day she was challenging her father on his beliefs and his opposition to taxes and welfare programs. He stopped her and asked her how she was doing in school.

She answered that she had a 4.0 GPA but it was really tough. She had to study all the time, never had time to go out and party. She didn't have time for a boyfriend and didn't really have many college friends because of spending all her time studying.

He asked, "How is your friend Mary." She replied that Mary was barely getting by. She had a 2.0 GPA, never studied, but was very popular on campus, went to all the parties all the time. Why she often didn't show up for classes because she was hung over.

Dad then asked his daughter why she didn't go to the Dean's office and ask why she couldn't take 1.0 off her 4.0 and give it to her friend who only had a 2.0. That way they would both have a 3.0 GPA.

The daughter angrily fired back, "That wouldn't be fair, I worked really hard for mine and Mary has done nothing".

The father slowly smiled and said, "Welcome to the Republican Party".

If you enjoyed Welcome to the Republican Party, be sure to check out our entire archive of Political Humor.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Barack and John,

You both should come over and eat some of my cookies. Kindly sit in the parlor until they are done. Have some tea. We'll work through this mess with some warm, fresh-from-the-oven cookies. Kisses,

Dick Cheney

Posted by: Dick Cheney | September 18, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: John McCain | September 18, 2008 1:02 PM

So contributing money to your country is not patriotic, but going to fight another nation's war that has zero bearing on the American people (other than the casualties suffered by American soldiers and the devastating effect it's had on the American economy) is patriotic?

Excuse me while I drop a cinder block on my head after reading that rant.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Don't forget, I'm a POW.

Posted by: John McCain | September 18, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

NO NO NO. You can not choose ever to KICK.

Posted by: 4th | September 18, 2008 1:02 PM

Are you sure? I remember a game where a coach choose to KICK in OT to have the wind. He was ROUNDLY criticized.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

:Back to football. I always looked at the options of the coin toss, not as a factor of the fan noise, but a choice between, do I think my D or O will be more successful on this opening drive vs their D/O.

For example, when Philly had that dominant D a few years back, I remember someone telling me they would usually chose to kick in the 1st half knowing that they can probably get the stop on that first drive.

I wonder if a study is out there what gives you the better chance at wining the ball game?

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 18, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

4th, thanks. That does give me a common sense way to think about it.

Also, though I'm not a big fan for politics invading the blog (I come here to get away from that), I personally think it is ANTI-patriotic to bankrupt the country. My theory on what's been happening this week is that the entire financial sector has been missing out on what SHOULD have been interest rate increases by the Fed (more interest means more money for the lenders) ... and that the country has been spending way beyond its revenues for so long that it has had to keep interest rates down (because it has to pay the lenders). Whether its spending cuts or tax increases (or both), behaving in a financially responsible way is much much better for the country than the politically popular re-election slogan about "cutting taxes". Of course nobody wants to pay taxes. Duh. But its called responsibility.

Posted by: dcsween | September 18, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

tis extremely naive to believe that the state of affairs in the Middle East "has zero bearing on the American people"

Oh my, even most of the mental midget liberals understand that

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Excuse me while I drop a cinder block on my head after reading that rant.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 1:10 PM
--------------------------

Didn't you get the memo? We're fighting them over there so we don't have to fight them over here. It's part of the Bush Doctrine. Duh!

Just ask Sarah Palin, she knows all about the Bush Doctrine.

Posted by: | September 18, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 1:11 PM

I think there is a new coin toss for overtime ... so maybe its different rules.

Posted by: dcsween | September 18, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Which is worse:

1. Reading JLC bash the Skins FO with his hate?

2. Reading the JLC haters bashing JLC?

3. Reading about politics on a Redskins Football Blog?

Just like voting, nothing but bad choices and neither do anything for me.

Posted by: Donj1963 | September 18, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

I vote for 1

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Beep

Posted by: Zebra | September 18, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Realness | September 18, 2008 11:41 AM

Dang, when you can find the negatives on that play ... you're missing the point

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

I vote #3 w/ #2 as the VP.

Posted by: NCICURN | September 18, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Also, in overtime, I know you want to receive the ball if you win the toss. Given how exhausted defenses are by overtime, the statistics are overwhelming that whoever gets the ball first wins.

Posted by: dcsween | September 18, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

I would like to point out that neither candidate has any chance of balancing the budget for the next few years and putting money into paying down the debt. There are many things that we could cut from the budget every year, but we are not willing too. For example there is roughly 120 billion in the military budget (non-war) that is total waste, in part because we don't need more cold-war style weapons, but a lot of it's damn near fraud, the GAO did a report on that last year, it was ignored by both parties.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 18, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

"I cover what has been a losing franchise for the most part for what, 15 years now? And it is my job to bring to light why. Two individuals have been constants amid all the failure, while everyone else has come and gone." --- Snyder bought the team 10 years ago. The Skins first bottomed out under Cooke II. You should know that.

"I think it's beyond presumptuous of you to believe you can speak for thousands of readers, and if I'm doing my job diligently then I'm not going to be please everyone. I'm interested in journalism; I'm not a politician." -- It is against the ethics of most journalists to rely primarily on unnamed sources. You should know that too.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

That's because the government needs to pay for things that it has no business paying for. Competition breeds excellence. With the government involved in schools, healthcare, retirement security, etc. our taxes are going to inefficient, ineffective causes. I prefer to keep my taxes low, and have choices when it comes to these issues. That way, I too can give monies to charities, etc. instead of the government funding those activities. It is the people's responsibility to take care of those less fortunate...not governments.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

First!

Posted by: FTW | September 18, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

"I still think BBM will have moments in which he doesn't look the part, and will struggle, but if Burress and Pierce are healthy I think the Giants will be a force in the playoffs"

Wow - Why would you assume the Giants would make the playoffs? They are a pretty good team who got hot at the right time last year. But in the beginning of last year they appeared to be 1/2 a game away from total mutiny. This NFC East is very tough this year, and I could see either the Giants, Philly or the Skins on the bottom. I understand the consensus opinion right now is for the Skins to be on the bottom, and I assume because of the Zorn factor. Time will tell, they made the playoffs last year and might wind up being better on offense by mid to late season.

At any rate, I want to see how the Giants react to some adversity before I make an assessment of them this year. Manning is still a question mark.

Posted by: Mr. Bishop | September 18, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse