A Wise Guy...and a Guy Named Wise

Because of technical difficulties last week, we were unable to share the premiere episode of "The Jasons Jason and Mike Show" on Comcast SportsNet's "SportsNite." This year, Jason Reid welcomes Mike Wise to help him preview the Redskins' games. Without further ado, Week 2 against the Rams:

By Cindy Boren  |  September 19, 2009; 8:17 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Blache's Surprising Take on Haynesworth
Next: Blache Takes D Out for Another Drive

Comments

I used to respect Mike Wise before I read that column of his hating on the Redskins' name. Now, not so much.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 19, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

we must score at least 24 points tomorrow.. I know that's asking a whole lot of the offense, but they MUST score 24... or else..

Posted by: rachel216 | September 19, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Bobby Beathard and JKC are nominated for the Hall this year.

Charles Mann, B Mitch, Gerald Riggs, George Rogers, Clark Shaughnessy, Doug Williams and Joey T too.

...and of couse Jacoby and Grimm.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 19, 2009 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rachel216 | September 19, 2009 8:41 PM |

Or else what? We continue to hear a bunch of whining? What's new.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 19, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

I hope these two writers are clairvoyant because they both think the Skins will score 35 points against the Rams. I think it will take 3 games for them to total that many. Inept comes to mind as in JC's play and the game planning. The politics of pro ball also get in the way. MM should be starting by virtue of his play in preseason, but due to the high draft picks, MK and (the waste of a pick) DT play ahead of him. I thought the goal was to win?

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | September 19, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

How does LL keep a monkey as a pet? DC, Md. and Va all don't allow them.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | September 19, 2009 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | September 19, 2009 9:02 PM | Report abuse

And making excuse after excuse for Campbell while not pointing out some really damning stats. Hey Redskin fans, did you know our very likeable QB has --

Completed only 10 passes over 40 yards in his entire career?

For comparison, DMAC threw 11 last year alone. In the west coat offense with average receivers.

Or how bout this? JC has only beat a team by more than one score ONE TIME IN HIS ENTIRE CAREER.

By comparison, journeyman Collins did it four times in five starts.

But every year the Post pushes the same excuses because Jason caters to the press and is so damn nice.

Instead Gibbs, Saunders, and now Zorn take the heat. All of them have been too conservative, Jason writes. All of them just needed to "unleash" Campbell, Wise writes.

Please. Do a little research. Be objective. JC is a great guy and his teammates love him, but get guys like Moss to talk to you off the record and they'll tell you the truth:

It's the QB that is too conservative.

And it's the Post that simply refuses to point that out.

Posted by: MylesMonroe | September 19, 2009 8:45 PM |

Interesting stats. As far as pointing stuff out, what could be more damning than the FO pursuit of Cutler and Sanchez? Does WaPo need to administer kicks to a dude who is already down? Some of the "kid gloves" treatment may be a sympathetic reaction to harsh treatment by the FO. BTW, Sanchez looked real good against Houston. He's a rookie, it's his first game and he comes out smelling like a rose. And all those RI bloggers who were apoplectic at the time when it looked like he was coming to DC. Remember all those "bonehead FO move" taunts? Heh, heh, heh.

Posted by: CottonEyeJoe | September 19, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rachel216 | September 19, 2009 8:41 PM |

Or else what? We continue to hear a bunch of whining? What's new.

My guess is that if we can't score at least 24 then the offense has little hope for scoring well against better teams. That's what the or else meant I think.

Posted by: will_ga | September 19, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

How does LL keep a monkey as a pet? DC, Md. and Va all don't allow them.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | September 19, 2009 9:01 PM |

Dude. I am on it like a duck on a June bug. Thanks for the heads up!

Signed

Inspector Clouseau

Posted by: CottonEyeJoe | September 19, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rachel216 | September 19, 2009 8:41 PM |

Or else what? We continue to hear a bunch of whining? What's new.

Posted by: will_ga | September 19, 2009 9:16 PM

I figured that. I just wanted to take a shot at all the whiners, the negative Nancy's, the glass half empties, and the I give up on this teamers. Shot taken.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 19, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

How does LL keep a monkey as a pet? DC, Md. and Va all don't allow them.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | September 19, 2009 9:01 PM |

Dude. I am on it like a duck on a June bug. Thanks for the heads up!

Signed

Inspector Clouseau

Posted by: CottonEyeJoe | September 19, 2009 9:19 PM |

Maybe he keeps it at a home in a different location than the one's mentioned. Many players have a home near the team and another one that they call "home."

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 19, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

No freakin' way the Redskins score 35 points tomorrow. No matter how bad St. Louis is, they beat us last year and will probably do so again tomorrow.

Posted by: JaySchroeder | September 19, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

or else we turn to TC... (not kidding.) with JC as QB we are only capable of scoring maybe 2 TDs it seems. We don't beat bad teams like good teams beat bad teams. Good teams beat bad teams by 15+ points... we barely beat very bad teams, we go down to the wire with bad teams, or we just lose to bad teams. I think we win by less than 7 tomorrow.

Jay- I also agree with you, no way we score 35... no way we'll even score 25.

Posted by: rachel216 | September 19, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

there's a pic of LL and his little pet monkey, it's actually really cute:

Posted by: rachel216 | September 19, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

there's a pic of LL and his little pet monkey, it's actually really cute:

Posted by: rachel216 | September 19, 2009 9:57 PM |

Nice pic. It is pretty small. It must be one of them cappuccino monkeys.

Posted by: CottonEyeJoe | September 19, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

as much as I resist to type this, I do think we put the beating on the Rams tomorrow! I do also think we will score 30 points and have 400 yds of offense.

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | September 19, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 19, 2009 9:21 PM |

Hey, you don't think I would fall for that "just visiting" shti, do you?

Signed

Inspector Clouseau

Posted by: CottonEyeJoe | September 19, 2009 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Don't mean to be lookin' ahead, but I've got tickets to the 'Skins/Lions game next Sunday. I'm actually alittle worried we may be the first team to lose to the Lions in 20 games, assumimg they continue the streak and lose tomorrow to the Vikings. What an embarrassment that would be! Lions scored 27 on the road last week against New Orleans and thougth Matt Stafford is a rookie and prone to mistakes, he has Calvin Johnson to throw to and considering our pass defense's performance against the Giants and our seeming inability to score alot of points, I'm rather concerned now about our abilty to keep up with them. Anyone have any thoughts to allay my fears? I went to the game up here last year and it was much closer than it should have been - we won 17-10 but only scored 10 on offense, Santana had a nice punt return for a TD. Scary.

Posted by: wagman1 | September 19, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

I think the Redskins will score 28 points tomorrow and beat the Rams comfortably.

That said, what does it prove?

The Rams are going to go 4-12 anyway.

It's what this team does the next time it plays a playoff contender that is a sign of progress made or not.

Posted by: leopard09 | September 19, 2009 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator |

Just read the piece you described as "hating on the redskins name."

I saw it as a well-done story about the daughter of a Native American who risked his life in WWII to assure descendants of people who killed his forefathers have the Freedom to write dumb comments in blogs.

Wise went up in my estimation. You, not so much.

Posted by: TheCork | September 19, 2009 11:36 PM | Report abuse

Bobby Beathard and JKC are nominated for the Hall this year.

...and of course Jacoby and Grimm.

Posted by: scampbell1975

But not Jerry Smith? I can't imagine why not. Oh, wait a minute, actually I can.

Posted by: TheCork | September 19, 2009 11:39 PM | Report abuse

Do Ralph Freidgen & Al Groh finish the season employed? Goodness they are having bad years.

Posted by: will_ga | September 19, 2009 11:42 PM | Report abuse

Lib wienie Journalism students become lib weinie journalists, and then get indocrinated in organizations full of lib wienie PC meisters.

And you are shocked they all think "Redskins" is an abomination?

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | September 19, 2009 11:58 PM | Report abuse

In years past, the joke was that they put a letter of resignation in front of Freidgen, and he ate it.
I don't know what the problem is now.

Posted by: daggar | September 20, 2009 12:06 AM | Report abuse

Nice pic. It is pretty small. It must be one of them cappuccino monkeys.

Posted by: CottonEyeJoe | September 19, 2009 10:29 PM |

...or a teacup monkey
...toy monkey?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 20, 2009 12:25 AM | Report abuse

there's a pic of LL and his little pet monkey, it's actually really cute:

Posted by: rachel216 | September 19, 2009 9:57 PM

Huh, huh, hey Beavis, he's pettin' his monkey, huh, huh.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 20, 2009 12:28 AM | Report abuse

A few more of these homemade deep fried beer battered chicken chunks and I'm gonna waddle like Freidgen. My God they're good dipped in honey mustard horseradish goo. If I don't blog tomorrow my heart gave up trying to keep going. Good thing I didn't get the scrapple.

Posted by: will_ga | September 20, 2009 12:29 AM | Report abuse

Wow,I knew the Saints beat Detroit, but the fact that Detroit put up 27 points got by me.
Can this team put up 27 points against the Rams today?
Everyone talks about how this is a soft or easy part of the schedule, but that's BS!
The way this team has performed last year, through this preseason, and last week, there is no such thing as an easy, or soft schedule.
This team needs to man up, and bring it's A game tommorow and every Sunday thereafter.
Unlike the top tier teams of the NFL, the Redskins at least at this time, don't have the luxury of an "easy part of the schedule".

Posted by: 72Redskins | September 20, 2009 1:05 AM | Report abuse

A satisfying win would be one where we score a td and fg every quarter.

Posted by: BMACattack | September 20, 2009 1:49 AM | Report abuse

A satisfying win would be one where we score like the Pats did a couple of years ago over the.. the... Redskins!

Posted by: chasgiffen | September 20, 2009 3:07 AM | Report abuse

Last post before the sun comes up on this Sunday 9/20/09, the day of our crushing, glorious victory over the Rams and the beginning of a new era of Redskins high-scoring dominance!!

I'm really liking this tequila...

Posted by: chasgiffen | September 20, 2009 3:12 AM | Report abuse

Sorry....JReid's last post 'Re: Blache dosn't know what he's talking about' was the worst post to date. I am a math Wiz and his (Reid's) math is FUBAR......

And I would agree with Blache/Playrs. And, Haynesworth isn't the highest paid defensive player. Suggs is.

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 20, 2009 3:30 AM | Report abuse

Just read the piece you described as "hating on the redskins name."

Wise went up in my estimation. You, not so much.

Posted by: TheCork | September 19, 2009 11:36 PM

Cork--Hey, me too! You just described my father. He was shot down, wounded, imprisoned, and he brought home medals so that the French could make Boojoelay and Wise could be a blowhard. Now, do I go up in your estimation?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 20, 2009 7:16 AM | Report abuse

beep

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 20, 2009 8:38 AM | Report abuse

There is only one way that you will see the Redskins win anything. Get rid of Vinny and get a GENERAL MANAGER! Have you ever heard of a team who has won any kind of championship without one?

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | September 20, 2009 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Please can anyone tell me what team has won a superbowl without a GM?

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | September 20, 2009 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Anyone?

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | September 20, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Why not turn to Todd Collins for this year! Tennessee is doing it with Kerry Collins even though they have Vince Young on the sideline. Minnesota is starting "40 year old" Brett Favre even though they have 2 other QBs that have started just as much as Campbell and are statistically similar. The point is that even though Todd Collins has never won or been to a Super Bowl before, he is probably the best choice for this current Redskins team built to win now and with an offensive line that is actually allowing time for the QB to pass. Jason does not do well in pressure situations, thus the lack of comeback wins and accuracy of throws when needed. Give TC a chance this season and bring in a talented rookie QB from the draft next season to push for the starting job.

Posted by: JohnWWW | September 20, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Talent_evaluator: This isn't about you. Try having some empathy for people who are legitimately offended by the "Redskins" name. That's why I appreciated Mike Wise's column - it has nothing to do with "hate" as you say. It has everything to do with understanding why native americans are opposed to the name, and why they are passionately offended by it. But I guess you don't care how other people feel - you seem to only care about yourself.

Posted by: grandma01 | September 20, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse