Adding 'explosiveness' to West Coast offense

From Jason Reid...

Not all versions of the West Coast offense are created equal, which usually is the case with most things in life.

Under former coach Jim Zorn, the Redskins for the past two seasons ran a version of the West Coast attack. But from what I'm hearing from players, the scheme Mike and Kyle Shanahan are installing is much more advanced than the offense Zorn directed as the Redskins ranked near the bottom of the league in scoring and went 12-20 during the 2008-09 seasons.

Although the basic concepts are the same -- spread the field, control the ball with short passes, receivers running to spots in patterns and staying put -- the big difference in the Shanahans' offense, players said, is the number of "explosive" plays included in the playbook.

Since the start of the offseason conditioning program Monday, players have watched film of the Broncos' offense under Mike Shanahan, and they've become increasingly impressed with each session, several said. It's not just exciting to them that the Shanahans intend to stretch the field, it's also the type of patterns they plan to use to isolate receivers in matchups that are expected to be favorable for the Redskins.

Based on the early reviews, receivers will move more before the snap and have more options on routes than they did under Zorn. In fairness to Zorn, he did not install his entire offense for the 2008 season because of many factors, including how late he was promoted to head coach (he was initially brought in as the offensive coordinator) and that the team was making the shift to the West Coast.

He was concerned about overloading the players with having to try to learn and entirely new offense, essentially, overnight. And as it turned out, some players on offense were often confused with the stuff Zorn did use.

Zorn planned to expand the offense significantly at midseason in 2008, but then the offensive line fell apart and he had to scale back things with quarterback Jason Campbell often getting thrown around like a rag doll, people familiar with the situation said. It's kind of difficult to stretch the field if you're quarterback is repeatedly driven into the ground on three-step drops, or so I hear.

Anyway, it's the Mike and Kyle Show now, and they bring all the expertise to the situation that, well, they bring. A longtime former NFL general manager recently told me no one does it better on offense than Mike Shanahan. Head-coach-in-waiting Kyle is among the game's fastest-rising young coordinators and supposedly very bright. Many of the players Mike and Kyle are now leading seem to agree with those assessments.

By Micah Pollack  |  March 20, 2010; 2:50 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins free agency: Barry Sims mulling over decision
Next: Haynesworth's workout regime

Comments

I have not been first in a long time

Posted by: noonefromtampa | March 20, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Cork,
you have a point, they will start clumsy out of the gate by changing to the 3-4, but since they're going to need to rebuild anyway, it seems like the best opportunity to make a wholesale change (offense and defense) for an aging roster. The offense and defense will be able to develop and improve together that way. If that's their plan, the long term benefit, then it's fine by me.

Posted by: pgugino

I think we are agreed these are far sharper football minds than you me and the collective wisdom of the board put together..

That said...

I don't object to switching to a 3-4. I just feel that with limited resources (draft picks, talent on hand, FAs), it might be wiser to stay with a proven hand on defense--which is far ahead of the offense, and rebuild the offense.

Particularly so, since some of the real strengths of the defense would be jeopardized by a 3-4.

Orakpo was a better DE than OLB. Carter got his ten sacks, largely because he was lined up next to Haynesworth, who demanded double teams. Now both Carter and Orakpo will likely be OLBs.

Fletcher has been a MLB most his career and Rocky Mac an OLB. Now both will be 3-4 LBs, probably inside.

Haynesworth has been a DT most his life. He's now a DE or NG.

Alexander is being put back at LB. Daniels at the tag end of his career is shifted to 3-4 DE.

Golston and Montgomery, effective 4-3 rotation guys, are either backups or without a position.

The NG slot depends on the gimpy ankle of Maake. No real noseguard backup in place.

Add to this, on Total Access one of their experts saw Bradford, Okung and McCoy going with the top three slots, and the 'skins taking Suh.

Wow. Imagining Suh and Haynseworth lined up together.

He probably won't fall to them, but locked into a 3-4 means Suh gets passed on or expected to play out of position.

I think a 4-3 could hang on nicely for a year or two, then bodies could be put in place AFTER the sad sack offense is fixed.

Posted by: TheCork | March 20, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

My bracket just went all Hindenburg.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | March 20, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

"It's not just exciting to them that the Shanahans intend to stretch the field, it's also the type of patterns they plan to use to isolate receivers in matchups that are expected to be favorable for the Redskins... receivers will move more before the snap and have more options on routes than they did under Zorn."

The redskin offense is joining the rest of the league.

Wonderful.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 20, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

What's so big about the Big East? More like the Big Least. Go, Duke.

Posted by: League-Source | March 20, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

So I'm wondering why Zorn never moved the pocket to give JC more than a nano second to get rid of the ball after his line was decimated. Gibbs and crew, for example, used to shift the entire game plan at halftime, and in one memorable example, at the end of the first quarter.

"I designed the play to work"

Nicest. Idiot. Ever.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | March 20, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

LS, tequila or no tequila, F Duke, Dallas and Zorn!

Go Cal!

Posted by: Curzon417 | March 20, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Even if we get Sims, and get Okung, we're at least another year away from having an effective offensive line.

Posted by: dragon2eden | March 20, 2010 1:35 PM
------------------------------------------
I'm not so sure about that. Part of the problem with Campbell being pressured last year was obviously the fault of the players on the line, but I remember hearing how the protection schemes were largely dialed in before a play began. So, when the opposition moved a guy to overload one side, the protections scheme wouldn't change. Plus, there was a point in the season when Campbell admitted to not being able to audible. This hamstrung the entire offense and exacerbated the protection problems. I am not implying that the players were all-pro in a bad scheme: the players they had were definitely lower tier players. I am saying they were not as bad as they looked. You put a guy like Rabach in there with some experienced veterans and a very athletic rookie left tackle with more flexibility in the protection schemes, and I think they can be decent.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 20, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Protecting receivers is a priority

Proposed rule change would cut down on big hits on wideouts going over the middle

Posted by: Vicc | March 20, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

LS, tequila or no tequila, F Duke, Dallas and Zorn!

Posted by: Curzon417 | March 20, 2010 3:23 PM

I don't like that attitude. I'm drinking your tequila. I'm leaving you a flat diet Dr. Pepper that I'm taking out of the dog's bowl. Go, Georgia Tech.

Posted by: League-Source | March 20, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

In fairness to Zorn, he did not install his entire offense for the 2008 season -- JR

Funny thing is, nobody could tell the difference in 2009, except that they were 100% inept instead of 75%. Now that's progress!!

Posted by: stevek20147 | March 20, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

RSH,
Why change the protection or the play at the line?

Zorn, after all, designed the play to work.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | March 20, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

I think we are agreed these are far sharper football minds than you me and the collective wisdom of the board put together ...

Posted by: TheCork | March 20, 2010 3:12 PM |

Dude - that is the best part of one of the feeblest posts in quite some time. It's hard to believe that you went through a litany of shti about 4-3 vs 3-4 and never even got anywhere close to the reason for the Skins going 3-4 - it's the turnovers stupid. Given their 2009 D stats and their personnel it's borderline criminal how low their turnover number was. And that is why Has and Shan made the decision to go 3-4. No question their minds are sharper than the collective wisdom of the board, but the least us hamsters can do is understand what it is those sharp minds are doing, for Crissakes.

Posted by: JimmerJammer | March 20, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

F the f-ing Big (choke) East conference, way to come out a lay an egg.

The refs couldn't even help Villanova this time even though they tried.

So much for my first place, it wont last very long.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 20, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

...I think they can be decent.

Posted by: RedSkinHead
_______________

Plus put in a QB with a higher clockspeed - instant "better Oline".

Posted by: Oogalaboogala | March 20, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

I'm curious to know how well Jim Zorn's offense would have worked if Jason Campbell had actually completed a pass to a few of those wide-open wrs.

Posted by: Vicc | March 20, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 20, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse
I agree with you, RSH. If we get Okung and Sims at OT, with Jones (soon to be resigned) and Heyer as backups, Dockery, BMW & Hicks at OG with Rinehart, and CRabach at C, we should be respectable at a minimum. And factor in HC/OC who know what they are doing. And I think our D will be in more of an attach mode. We should be competitive. And with a little kool-aid, 19-0 baby!

Posted by: frediefritz | March 20, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

If we get Okung and Sims at OT...
______________

At 6-5, 300, Sims seems more like an LT than an RT.

Posted by: Oogalaboogala | March 20, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

How do ya'll think our young WR's fit into this system?

I think Moss can be a great weapon in the slot...

Kelly is that big target for those short slants...

Thomas...while not elite, can be a downfield threat...I really like his aggressiveness.

Marko Mitchell is the unknown factor.

Posted by: rickyroge | March 20, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

With his speed, aggressiveness and hands, I could see Thomas becoming elite. And Santana should be killer in the slot, if he can stop getting dinged so much. If well-coached, both Malcolm and Marko could become very good. Liking the WR picture.

Posted by: Oogalaboogala | March 20, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Marko Mitchell is the unknown factor.

Posted by: rickyroge | March 20, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Not unknown. Better than all of them except MOSS.

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 20, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

I know Kelly had injuries, but I think he was sooooo underutilized due to the presence of Antwan Randle El.

Posted by: rickyroge | March 20, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Marko Mitchell is the unknown factor.

Posted by: rickyroge | March 20, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Not unknown. Better than all of them except MOSS.

Posted by: glawrence007 |

I definitely like him more than Kelly

Posted by: jcnjcnj | March 20, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

One of the best off season acquisitions the Redskins made was getting Keenan McCardell as WR coach. I think he has the "street cred" to get 11,12, and MM to buy in, and he brings 17? years of in game experience to the young WR corps.

I expect a breakout year from all the youngsters, and love the idea of SM89 in the slot...

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | March 20, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

"(Marko Mitchell) Not unknown. Better than all of them except MOSS."

I agree.

I think Marko Mitchell and Fred Davis will benefit the most from the offensive scheme changes Shanny is installing.

When things go right, the redskins will look like an AFC South team than an NFC East team.

And by the way, please give props to mistamayor for this post as the offensive scheme changes are just as important to consider as the 3-4 switch the defense is undertaking.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 20, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rickyroge | March 20, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Concur, cosign, endorse.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | March 20, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Marko Mitchell is the unknown factor.

Posted by: rickyroge | March 20, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Not unknown. Better than all of them except MOSS.

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 20, 2010 4:25 PM

Marko Mitchell appeared in 10 games, caught four passes in 2009, for 32 yards. His long was 11 yards. This established him as a solid starter and the team's #1 receiver. The only reason that he wasn't in the Pro Bowl is because they spelled his name wrong on the ballot and people thought they were voting for Brian Mitchell.

Colt Brennan would have been All Pro in this same alternate universe where money grows on trees, monkeys do all our work, all the men look like George Clooney, and all the women look like glawrence.

Posted by: League-Source | March 20, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

"This established him as a solid starter and the team's #1 receiver"

You're as stupid as you are innane if you thought me serious. What a maroon.

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 20, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

You're as stupid as you are innane if you thought me serious. What a maroon.

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 20, 2010 5:30 PM |

Right. You come up with the dumbest post of the week, get called on it, then try to blame me? "I was only kidding." Nice try.

Posted by: League-Source | March 20, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

What I expect is a team that is ready to play from the kickoff, and is competitive in games. Expect 6/7 wins and will be pleasantly surprised with more. It's time to be real about our Redskins instead of thinking we will be winning the division this season.

Posted by: Curzon417 | March 20, 2010 1:51 PM

As much as I disagree, I agree.

Posted by: abxinc | March 20, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Shanny shouldn't expect to get many explosive plays from Capt'n Checkdown

Posted by: coparker5 | March 20, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

As much as I disagree, I agree.

Posted by: abxinc | March 20, 2010 5:41 PM |

From Shan's perspec he wants to take it slow in the begin. Doesn't know what he has on team so no big rush to go out and sign FAs or make trades when what you get may or may not be a real need and may or may not work with the core that is there. First season will be a get acquaint with the team and div to a great degree. He really ain't going to start to be on the clock until he gets one season under his belt.

Posted by: JimmerJammer | March 20, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

What a maroon

is that some sort of cookie or a Va Tech supporter?

Posted by: noonefromtampa | March 20, 2010 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Now, if they manage to acquire Brandon Marshall, then we could expect some explosive plays

Posted by: coparker5 | March 20, 2010 6:32 PM | Report abuse

is that some sort of cookie or a Va Tech supporter?

Posted by: noonefromtampa | March 20, 2010 6:29 PM

I thought it was a Jim Zorn-era compliment -- "Hail to the maroon and black!"

Posted by: League-Source | March 20, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Not unknown. Better than all of them except MOSS.

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 20, 2010 4:25 PM
_________________________________

That's a pretty bold statement... I can't help but look at how Devin played in the N.O. game & thinking finally his future looks bright. At least he performed at a high level against an undefeated in season opponent.

Your boy couldn't get on the field because he doesn't play teams... come on, can't be a 7th rounder & not play teams. Then, he did all his damage in the pre-season. If he was good enough to be #1, #2, or #3 he would of been. As it was, he was always inactive because he didn't play teams.

Posted by: tony325 | March 20, 2010 6:46 PM | Report abuse

L_Source

"Marko Mitchell appeared in 10 games, caught four passes in 2009, for 32 yards. His long was 11 yards. This established him as a solid starter and the team's #1 receiver..."

The snarkiness notwithstanding, the singular argument that advances the idea that Marko Mitchell might be a great addition to the redskin offense is in the little field time he has had, he's looked very good.

He's a prototypical big NFL receiver who should fit in nicely with Shanny's plans.

Mitchell and Fred Davis both look like the victims of Jim Zorn's lack of imagination and trust in young players.

Mitchell goes into this season as a second year player with new playcallers intent on using big receivers making plays upfield.

The difference between the Cult 'o Colt and Morons for Mitchell is that the morons might be right.

For a change.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 20, 2010 6:48 PM | Report abuse

If Kansas goes down most peoples bracket is ober with.

Lets hope the refs give them the game down the stretch.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 20, 2010 6:58 PM | Report abuse

The snarkiness notwithstanding,

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 20, 2010 6:48 PM |

Who better than you, MistaMoe, to detect snarkiness? (And I mean that in the good way).

Look, I hope Marko is everything that bloggas like you and glawrence think he can be. And more. He looked impressive last year in the second half of pre-season games and I think Zorn made a mistake by not using him more. But four catches in 10 games ain't a very impressive start in the NFL.

Posted by: League-Source | March 20, 2010 6:59 PM | Report abuse

I'm with RedSkinHead, I'm going Optimism.

O Line will be decent.

From Day 1.

Shanny aint gonna let Kyle look like a fool on account of no blocking. Zorn was an idiot. Who runs wide on 4th and 1? Twice!

Who calls a fake field goal (TWICE) after a timeout? A SWINGING GATE fake field goal?!

C'mon, Shannahan may be over-rated, etc, but he's not a dang fool!

I'm thinking we just got 4 more wins by not being overly stupid at the HC position.

Posted by: Thinker_ | March 20, 2010 7:01 PM | Report abuse

What good is this new scheme going to be without an offensive line?

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Posted by: VeloStrummer | March 20, 2010 7:02 PM | Report abuse

I think Mike & Kyle will utilize the talent in the receiving corps better than Zorn could even dream of.

Zorn out, Pros in

Posted by: noonefromtampa | March 20, 2010 7:04 PM | Report abuse

So the Skins will be adding explosiveness. At least they'll be adding something.

Posted by: jblacknj | March 20, 2010 7:05 PM | Report abuse

haha, LS, as a young Marine in Okinawa and the Philippines, I think I've done worse than flat dr. pepper fresh from the dog bowl.

But I will say go Ga Tech today!

Posted by: Curzon417 | March 20, 2010 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Curzon417 | March 20, 2010 7:06 PM |

I suspect you got the dr. pepper after the dog passed it through his kidneys. And, were grateful for it.

I just finished your tequila. It was good.

Posted by: League-Source | March 20, 2010 7:09 PM | Report abuse

What good is this new scheme going to be without an offensive line?

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Posted by: VeloStrummer | March 20, 2010 7:02 PM |

Hey idiot where is he suppose to get an o-line from before the draft, a bunch of old FA's aren't what we need.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 20, 2010 7:12 PM | Report abuse

"What good is this new scheme going to be without an offensive line?"

The linemen will come from the draft and a final signing.

If you draft a tackle and sign Sims, you might project a starting line that looks like this:

Sims--lt

Dockery--rg

Rabach--c

Hicks--rg

Rookie--rt

We'll have see if this is what happens.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 20, 2010 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Flounder,

Everyone who's met him or works for him, talks about how different the new boss is from the old boss. Some guy who's "strumming" his "velo" can't figure it out? That's a surprise.

Posted by: League-Source | March 20, 2010 7:16 PM | Report abuse

That was not my tequila LS, just what I put in when I finished the bottle and could not break away from the game to hit the head.

Not surprised a duke guy doesn't know the the taste of tequila.

Posted by: Curzon417 | March 20, 2010 7:18 PM | Report abuse

...and with their 3rd round pick the Skins select: Jamar Chaney, Mississippi State, ILB with great speed and toughness.

Posted by: oddjob1 | March 20, 2010 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: oddjob1 | March 20, 2010 7:19 PM

Jamar better be tough. He's gonna be waiting a long time in the green room -- until next year's draft when the 'Skins have a 3rd round pick.

Posted by: League-Source | March 20, 2010 7:23 PM | Report abuse

"If Kansas goes down most people's bracket is over with."

I'm proud to say I haven't watched a single minute of March Madness.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 20, 2010 7:26 PM | Report abuse

"So the Skins will be adding explosiveness."

They did this when they added Zorn.

Thing is, all his plans blew up in his face.

(INSERT rimshot audio and bad pun groan to a backgroup of Rodney "Moe" Dangerfield yanking at his tie while complaining about the lack of respect he receives in this blog.)

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 20, 2010 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Love the sound of this post. But I gotta ask...who said that Kyle Shanahan is "head-coach-in-waiting"? I mean, it makes sense that Mike would set things up and get this team headed in the right direction over the life of his 5 year contract (I doubt he'd stay beyond that at his age) and pass things on to Kyle, but to make that assumption before we even hit draft day of Year 1 is kinda premature, no?

Whateves...just happy to hear the term "among the game's fastest-rising young coordinators" actually apply to a Redskins coach, especially after two years of hearing "he's in over his head" or "playing guys out of position".

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 20, 2010 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 20, 2010 7:33 PM | Report abuse

I agree brownie. Maybe next year we get all the free agents to say, "yeah, I want to go with a winner!"

Posted by: frediefritz | March 20, 2010 7:44 PM | Report abuse

I gotta ask...who said that Kyle Shanahan is "head-coach-in-waiting"?

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 20, 2010 7:33 PM |

Good point Brownwood. If he's "head coach in waiting" he's not the Redskins Head Coach in waiting. Mike Shanahan is only 58, and I think he's planning to coach for the five years in his contract, maybe longer. Kyle Shanahan has a lot of positive buzz, but if he's going to be head coach it isn't going to happen here soon enough.

Posted by: League-Source | March 20, 2010 7:45 PM | Report abuse

"...If he's "head coach in waiting" he's not the Redskins Head Coach in waiting."

Neither is Jim Haslett, the other potential head coach.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 20, 2010 7:49 PM | Report abuse

I know this is cliche,but there is absolutely nothing like March Madness.The intensity that these kids play with when they think they're gonna lose is insane.

Posted by: smittdiddy | March 20, 2010 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Kansas is done and so is my bracket!!!!!!

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 20, 2010 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Oh hell yeah kansas goes down.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | March 20, 2010 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Northern Iowa? Go, Rhino! Show us where to get a pizza after midnight!

Posted by: League-Source | March 20, 2010 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Kaboom! Don't worry Flound, zees is sending an aircraft carrier.

Posted by: SMACK1 | March 20, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Kansas is done and so is my bracket!!!!!!

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 20, 2010 7:49 PM | Report abuse
flounder, you've been leading all weekend. You can't be done yet.

Posted by: frediefritz | March 20, 2010 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Now I don't feel so bad for taking Richmond to final four... KS is done... sit back, relax, drink a beer & enjoy the rest of the tournament.

I just had a feeling winner of Richmond/St Mary's was gonna make some noise... but I picked the wrong team.

Posted by: tony325 | March 20, 2010 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Northern Iowa? Go, Rhino! Show us where to get a pizza after midnight!

Posted by: League-Source | March 20, 2010 7:53 PM |
==================================

You're looking for the 411 from the only local who has proven that he doesn't know?

Oy. Vey, and such as.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | March 20, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

That's KING FAROUK Manesh , to you Kansas, you blackite harboring enemy of Man!!! Icewater?? Icewater?? People in HELL want ICEWATER, try the ICEWATER IN MANESH'S VEINS!!!

Posted by: frak | March 20, 2010 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, we had some members of the family get busted for drugs in Houston , and WE HATED ANYTHING HOUSTON FOR YEARS...Kinda the way I feel about Kansas..

Posted by: frak | March 20, 2010 8:14 PM | Report abuse

RSH,
Why change the protection or the play at the line?

Zorn, after all, designed the play to work.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | March 20, 2010 3:35 PM
------------------------------------------
I hope you are joking. I don't want to break out the old swinging gate play as evidence of Zorn's genius. Gosh, there must have been eleven guys on the field who wanted to change that play...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 20, 2010 8:20 PM | Report abuse

So what's going to be the difference this year over last year on offense??

The players are "wowed" by the plays of Shanny...big freakin' whoop.

If this batch of players was slow to learn Zorny's basic stuff, what's going to turn them into geniuses overnight to learn Shanny's stuff?

They just need to fix the stinkin Oline. And they need to get a QB that is capable of grasping the offense and able to apply it to a game situation against a real-live defense.

A playbook or scheme is not going to help this group. They need to draft talented Olinemen, sign one or 2 more. If Shanny is as professional and disciplined as all the signs indicate that he is, I don't see how JC17 lands a starting spot, because I don;t see how Shanny is going to tolerate a 5 year vet who can't read defenses and whose bread-and-butter is the dump-off pass.

Posted by: p1funk | March 20, 2010 8:25 PM | Report abuse

What's up with the whiny boo-hoo Kansas players who think it's appropriate to fall on the floor and cry instead of lineup and shake hands with their opponents?

What a bunch of babies. No wonder they lost this early.

Posted by: p1funk | March 20, 2010 8:27 PM | Report abuse

The road to the Final Four is opening up for the Terps...

Posted by: p1funk | March 20, 2010 8:29 PM | Report abuse

The Terp's road to the final four just got a lot easier

Posted by: Raef | March 20, 2010 8:30 PM | Report abuse

And I'm getting a kick out of all the excuses I'm hearing for the Big East.

"Oh, they're just so tired out after playing each other in a long season,"

As if the other teams aren't also playing long seasons.

How about the Big East is just flat-out OVERRATED.

Posted by: p1funk | March 20, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Stop looking at my paper Raef...

Fear it.

Posted by: p1funk | March 20, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

How about the Big East is just flat-out OVERRATED.

Posted by: p1funk | March 20, 2010 8:31 PM |

p1,

We don't agree all the time, but I've never heard a more true statement.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 20, 2010 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Stop looking at my paper Raef...

Fear it.

Posted by: p1funk | March 20, 2010 8:32 PM

Wise minds think alike

Posted by: Raef | March 20, 2010 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Fear the Pantha...though my hearts with the turtle...Just don't look like the turtle Redskin defense that rabbit DeSean Jackson ran right by last year (forget times in the 40: whatta bout 0-60 acceleration???)..oi..

Posted by: frak | March 20, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Thank you, London, for knocking him and the Eagles out last year...Legally, of course..

Posted by: frak | March 20, 2010 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Its hard to call a conference overrated based on a one loss and you're out tournament. If St. Mary's or Ohio was in the Big East would they have finished ahead of Nova or Georgetown? No way. If West Virgina and Syracuse meet in the Championship game is the conference still overrated?

Posted by: jblacknj | March 20, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

"I like to pet soft things..."

--Lenny Small, "Of Mice and Men"

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 20, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Adding 'explosiveness' to West Coast offense

From the journal of Fartman:

Fartman say: "If coach want explosive O he should feed RBs and WRs heaping plates of baked beans the night before the game."

Posted by: RoundToes | March 20, 2010 8:58 PM | Report abuse

If thats the case about kyle, if all goes well then down the road kyle takes over for his dad and continues to build the tradition with the skins...

Posted by: marc343lca | March 20, 2010 8:58 PM | Report abuse

"If West Virgina and Syracuse meet in the Championship game is the conference still overrated?"

Actually, the whole March Madness mess is what's over-rated.

And it's gonna go to 96 teams because the NCAA wants to kill the NIT and get more money when it's time to re-up the tv contract with CBS or ESPN.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 20, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jblacknj | March 20, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Why is it hard to call them overrated based on the tourney?

The Big East had more teams in the tourney than any other conference and no team from the Big East. After Louisville seeding (9) the next seeded teams were at 6. Every team that's been eliminated from the big East has lost in an upset (except for Louisville who were knocked out immediately by a team seeded one place higher).

And if WVU and Syracuse make it to the Finals, all that says is that those teams were pretty good. Of course many of the other conferences can have 2 pretty good teams in the tourney as well; but 2 teams do not gauge the value of the a whole conference.

I don't see how you come to any other conclusion than the Big East was overrated going into the tourney this season.

Posted by: p1funk | March 20, 2010 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frak | March 20, 2010 8:14 PM | Report abu

Quite understandable (the part about Houston) It does not pay to cross the law in this part of Texas.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | March 20, 2010 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | March 20, 2010 9:06 PM |

With all this talk about winners, peeps should not forget that The Beast had some pretty good bottom feeders this season. After the Hall canned its coach and the Johnnies did likewise, the NY metro area is waiting with baited breath to see if it will turn into a trifecta when Rutgers cans its coach also. Heh, heh.

Posted by: RoundToes | March 20, 2010 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | March 20, 2010 9:12 PM |

Espec if your skin is brown and your ish is fronted with a Span instead of a Eng.

Posted by: RoundToes | March 20, 2010 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Fash always feel a need to f*** with people that are different, don't fit the mold, it's how this rotten status quo got rotten..Masonic principles are outta date in this new diverse Earth...just sayin'..LEGALIZE HUMANITY...

Posted by: frak | March 20, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Yep, Big East was overrated this year. But so was the Big 12, and probably the Big 10. The ACC, for once, was somewhat underrated. The Pac 10 was just plain weak, and success in the tournament by Cal or Washington won't change that.

It's all relative.

I thought the team with the best starting five going into the tournament was Kentucky, and Kansas was the deepest. I contend if they just altered the rules so teams had to play ten guys on the court at all times, Kansas would have won.

Watch out for Duke, but Kentucky is still the best team.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 20, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Dear Sir or Madame,
I, a sophomoric, poorly inormed and underemployed/unemployed loser am willing to chastise players and coaches who operate within an organization and profession I have no comprehension of. I go by many names, including league source, and the cork (in homage to the incident which gave be braindamage), and as such love to jump the comments of others in order to make myself feel like a "BIG MAN," and not the obese loser that I am. Although my IQ is less than room temperature, I still find the audacity to attack other people's comments with transparently flawed opinions, and the arguments on which my opinions are based inevitably have logical holes you could drive an aircraft carrier through.
I (we) are without meaningful relationships in our personal lives, so we spend 90-percent of our time spouting nonsense; it is best for rational people not to pay attention to us. Our every day fixation on sports reinforces the pathetic reality that we really have established overwhelming grounds for suicide but are too stupid and lazy to muster the courage to go through with the deed.

Thanks,
League_Source and The Cork

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | March 20, 2010 9:45 PM | Report abuse

As far as the WCO goes, we really haven't seen it yet in Washington. We've seen approximations of plays, but the chaos of the past two seasons has pretty much prevented the offense from developing at all. Jason has had some good games, like against New Orleans, but the offense has never clicked for two games in a row. And the blocking gets most of the blame for that, particularly in the first half of last year.

If we have an effective WCO this season, it'll be the first time in Skins history.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 20, 2010 9:46 PM | Report abuse

:Dear Sir or Madame,
I, a sophomoric, poorly inormed and underemployed/unemployed loser...posted by monkeymayonaise"

Dear monkeymayonaise,

Mayonnaise has two 'n's' in it.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 20, 2010 9:48 PM | Report abuse

:Dear Sir or Madame,

Dear monkeymayonaise,

Mayonnaise has two 'n's' in it
Posted by Samson

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | March 20, 2010 9:54 PM | Report abuse

For whom?
CAMPBELL HEARS BELLS TOLLING

Part 1 –

ASHBURN, VA -- While some Redskin Outsiders wonder whether this may be Jason Campbell’s final season with the Redskins, others hope and pray that he has already played his last game here.

Coming off a highly disappointing 4-12 season, many wonder why this worthless excuse for a pro quarterback still has a locker at Redskin Park.

Could it be that no other team will have him -- even on a dare, or a lark?

Last off-season, the Redskins couldn't generate any interest in trading for Campbell among the other 31 NFL teams -- even at the bargain basement offer price of a 3rd or 4th round draft pick -- or even just a moldy old ham sandwich.

So it came as no surprise that during the sadly discouraging 2009 season campaign that followed, Campbell did little, if anything, to make himself any more attractive to any other team.

Rather than improve on his limited skill set, many believe he regressed into an even worse quarterback than before -- while "leading" a hapless offensive unit that couldn't score so much as a single touchdown against some of the worst teams in the league.

When reached for comment Campbell said, "I don't listen to all the stuff out there. None of that is in my control."

So until somebody tells him otherwise, Campbell said he will "just keep showing up every payday, and working hard to come up with some fresh excuses every week for failing to get it done. That's all I can do."

Posted by: Vic1 | March 20, 2010 10:09 PM | Report abuse

CAMPBELL HEARS BELLS TOLLING

Part 2 –

Yet, some observers wonder whether new Redskins Coach Mike Shannahan is going to have as much patience as his predecessors in dealing with Campbell.

Some may recall that former Redskins coaching legend Joe Gibbs was lured out of retirement for a second series of coaching the team -- and as one of his first official acts of his second tenure, he put his reputation on the line in suggesting that the Redskins draft Campbell in the first round of his first draft.

The team traded away several draft picks to move up and take Campbell, and the Redskins have never been the same again.

Following a couple of so-so seasons, Gibbs was able to make the playoffs in his final season with the Redskins, but only after Campbell went down with an injury and journeyman quarterback Todd Collins rallied to team to victories in their final four games.

However, with Campbell due back to again take the snaps for the following season, some Redskin Outsiders believe the quarterback ultimately chased the coach back into premature retirement, especially when Gibbs realized that Campbell's continued poor play, inability to improve, and dim witted grasp and execution of even the most over-simplified offensive system could only lead to lots more losses -- which could only tarnish the legendary coach's otherwise sterling reputation.

Posted by: Vic1 | March 20, 2010 10:11 PM | Report abuse

I just finished your tequila. It was good.

Posted by: League-Source | March 20, 2010 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Weak fool, weak. Go eat a cookie maroon.

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 20, 2010 10:13 PM | Report abuse

For whom?
CAMPBELL HEARS BELLS TOLLING

Part 3 –

So next came Jim Zorn, a former pro quarterback of modest success, who was initially hired to coach up Campbell and help him find some way (indeed, any way) to complete at the pro level.

Given his decidedly novel approaches to the challenge, team insiders were soon convinced that if Zorn was willing to try and work this sort of miracle, perhaps he could do just as well for the whole team. Subsequently, was handed the jobs of quarterbacks coach, offensive coordinator and head coach -- as well as head play caller, cook and launderess -- and contracted to the tune of $2+ million per season to pull off his miracles.

Unfortunately he was also saddled with the continued presence of Campbell, and as a result Zorn's coaching stint failed badly. Overmatched and overwhelmend, the so called "offensive genius" floundered and fluttered like a Campbell screen pass into the third deck of FEDEX Field. The last we heard of Zorn, he was back to coaching QB prospects for the Baltimore Ravens, and choosing his words very carefully when asked to discuss his former protégé.

In new coach Mike Shanahan, the Redskins believe they now have a coach who can again return the team to greatness.

But before that happens, everyone now knows the team needs to, as one outsider explained it, “figure out what to do with Campbell.”

Shanahan, to his credit, is already speaking in carefully guarded words about his worthless excuse for a quarterback, while the team goes about the business of interviewing journeymen quarterbacks and college prospects.

For his part, Campbell continues to unapologetically waste a roster space and take a locker away from someone who could actually help the team -- at least for today at Redskin Park.

Posted by: Vic1 | March 20, 2010 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Vic1,

What did you think of the Charlie Casserly video of Jason Campbell missing wide-open targets?

You have to wonder how Jim Zorns offense coulda been different.

Can you imagine if defenses didn't have the luxury of playing within 20 yards of the line of scrimmage.

Posted by: Vicc | March 20, 2010 10:17 PM | Report abuse

REDSKINS IGNITE QUARTERBACK CONTROVERSY

ASHBURN, VA -- It was barely 24 hours into his redemption stint with the Redskins, and new team member Rex Grossman had already ignited a QB controversy in your nation's capital.

The man formerly known as "Sexy Rexy" can no longer lay claim to the title... as the years have been unkind to him... his stats have suffered mightily... and the young ladies no longer look his way.

Observe that he has been relegated to picking up spare change in seat cushions of the Redskin locker room... hoping for an occasional quarter or two in the exhibition season... or mop up duty behind Washington Redskin Quarterback for Life Jason Campbell (JC17).

The man who formerly wore the number 8 for the Houston Texans and Chicago Bears is also miffed that he cannot again call himself the "Great Eight," as Washington already has another more popular, and better paid, athlete who has laid claim to the title.

Nor can he claim the number 6, and call himself the "Six-Shooter," as Washington has another yet another felon and athlete who claimed that title.

So poor Rex is also now a quarterback without a nickname:

Should we call him "Resur-rex-tion Rex," given that he has been reduced to playing backup for a hopeless excuse for a quarterback (JC17)... that no one else will have on a dare or a lark.

SHould it be noted that Rex is playing on a one year deal -- with minimal pay and props and only the weakest of expectations for him actually playing in anything approaching a meaningful game?

Who and what indeed, will fans be screaming for this season -- when JC17 falters... as he inevitably must... and the fans shout out a demand for Rex?

Will they be calling for this sad remnant of a dude... like some younger version of Todd Collins... relegated to wearing a baseball cap and holding an old fashioned clip board and greese pencil... while everyone else is comparing their computerized screen shots?

Poor Rex.

If anyone needs to be "Resur-rex-tion Rex," it's this poor soul, indeed!

Posted by: Vic1 | March 20, 2010 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Kansas...wow...

Posted by: chrislarry | March 20, 2010 10:21 PM | Report abuse

You have to wonder how Jim Zorns offense coulda been different.

The trouble with Zorn's offensive scheme -- and Gibbs' as well -- is that it had to be dumbed down to suit the quarterback -- Jason Wonderlic Campbell -- who couldn't read a defensive set if his life depended on it -- or find a wide open receiver if you spotted him with a seeing eye dog, emergency lights and a GPS system.

Posted by: Vic1 | March 20, 2010 10:24 PM | Report abuse

f*** kansas...

Posted by: frak | March 20, 2010 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Wow

What happened to RG Shawn Andrews?

Released by Iggles

Two years ago Coach Bill Belichek, during his team's undefeated season march, proclaimed Andrews to be the best O-linemen they had faced all year.

WoW

Posted by: Vicc | March 20, 2010 10:42 PM | Report abuse

"yes however I have chosen a username which does not. Thanks for the spelling lesson professor grammar (who apparently doesn't understand usernames are independent of the laws of spelling and grammar and are designed to let you choose whatever you want as a name)
Posted by: monkeymayonaise"

LOL nice try, but I'm betting you had to go to the refrigerator and check the Hellman's to see if I was right....

Posted by: Samson151 | March 20, 2010 11:54 PM | Report abuse

"For whom?
CAMPBELL HEARS BELLS TOLLING
posted by Vicc"

So where did this come from? Did someone actually get paid for writing it? Or is it amateur stuff?

Posted by: Samson151 | March 20, 2010 11:59 PM | Report abuse

As I look at the RI Hamster bracket standings, I find myself right in the middle of it, tied for 17th out of the 37 people. My ranking far exceeds my knowledge, as I haven;t seen a college hoops game in ages.

I can hear the cynics out there now -- middle of the pack numerically, ranking exceeds ability -- I am the Jason Campbell of the RI Hamster bracket

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 21, 2010 12:13 AM | Report abuse

RSH,
Why change the protection or the play at the line?

Zorn, after all, designed the play to work.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | March 20, 2010 3:35 PM
------------------------------------------

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 20, 2010 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Come on bro....

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | March 21, 2010 12:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jblacknj | March 20, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

The tournament is all about the path and the matchups. Any team can beat any team on any given day. Of the Big East teams that have lost, only Louisville would have trouble winning two out of three. Northern Iowa does not mean that the Big 12 is overrated

Posted by: midniterc | March 21, 2010 1:03 AM | Report abuse

Dear monkeymayonaise,

Mayonnaise has two 'n's' in it.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 20, 2010 9:48 PM |

Posted by: LibertyValence | March 21, 2010 1:21 AM | Report abuse

More complex offense? That spells instant doom for Jason Clownble.

Posted by: dc1020008 | March 21, 2010 2:42 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, the Redskins were running the table before Campbell came along and ruined everything.

It was Brunell, right?

And before that, Ramsey was doing the Campbell Crawl... as in back to the huddle in pain.

Before that, we remember, we had Danny Woeful, Sham Matthews, Bust Frerotte, Paycheck Shuler, Scott Frieze, Trent Green (I KNEW we shoulda kept him - I f ing said so)

The last decent QB we had was Rypien, who, predictably, once he got his payday, turned into Jake Delhomme.

So, it's not like we have been OK at QB... basically ever.

Posted by: Thinker_ | March 21, 2010 5:26 AM | Report abuse

Again, all you JC haters, give the man an O line that can at least protect a QB in a college game, and see how he does. If we draft Okung and a good RT in round 2, and Campbell doesn't put 24 a game on the board, I'll be the first to say we need a new QB. But even then, I detest the hostility directed against him, as I believe he gives 100% and is a truly class act.

Posted by: kenboy1 | March 21, 2010 6:11 AM | Report abuse

God serves up Kansas a few hundred tornadoes a year, so the secret FEMA fash got a talon grip there..Dem politicians there are usually just Republicans parading around in the hollowed out husk of a Democrat, and labor organizers complain of having to act like they are in a totalitarian state and hold secret meetings...But Wild Bill used to live in Lawrence, so I guess it ain't TOTALLY bad...

Posted by: frak | March 21, 2010 7:05 AM | Report abuse

Mike- Head Coach, for 4-5 seasons
Kyle- Head coach, season 6.

Get on the wagon now kids.

Posted by: alex35332 | March 21, 2010 7:09 AM | Report abuse

Mike- Head Coach, for 4-5 seasons
Kyle- Head coach, season 6.

Get on the wagon now kids.

Posted by: alex35332

alex I can actually see that if someone else doesn't steal him first.

Posted by: smittdiddy | March 21, 2010 7:50 AM | Report abuse

Mike- Head Coach, for 4-5 seasons
Kyle- Head coach, season 6.

Get on the wagon now kids.

Posted by: alex35332 | March 21, 2010 7:09 AM

Hard to see which way this is headed. Shanahan's such a private person we don't know what he's in it for. He may want to win four super bowls in which case he's coach for life and Kyle wanders off to another team in two or three years. Or he may get burned out like Gibbs did (twice) and pass the baton. Personally, I'm betting on the former -- the guy will die with his boots on.

Posted by: League-Source | March 21, 2010 8:04 AM | Report abuse

Shouldn't we thank Zorn for drafting Orakpo and Marko?

Posted by: wewbank1 | March 21, 2010 8:44 AM | Report abuse

Is BARRY SIMS still coming to REDSKINS PARK? He seems small and old to be the REDSKINS salvation at RT.

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 21, 2010 8:44 AM | Report abuse

LEVI BROWN? What's up with him currently? He hasn't signed has he (shudder)?

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 21, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

ANDRE CARTER
LaRON LANDRY
JASON CAMPBELL
CRIS COOLEY

Trade rumors on any of these four?

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 21, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Any word on the medical situation regarding our new NT?

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 21, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

"I guess you never got the memo. Here on the internet we use spelling only to identify a word in a sentence. Dictionary spelling is superfluous as long as the meaning is evident. And this thinking carries over to userids. But even if it didn't, with userids, as with personal names, spelling is irrelevant because the content is totally up to the user. Take Isiah Thomas. A basketball star in college and the pros. Most would spell it "Isaiah" but his name was spelled "Isiah" and it certainly did not diminish his basketball skills in any way shape or form because it was spelled differently.Posted by: LibertyValence"

OK, I guess this is my punishment for being arch.

When somebody writes a long-winded, unfunny, and possibly stupid post, there are several different ways to make fun of it.

One is to shout, 'hah, you moron!!" Very popular in these parts.

I picked the other way.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 21, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

For your post, for instance, I might just say:

"what's the point of spelling it 'valence' instead of the way they spelled it in the movie/ song?'

Instead of saying something else.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 21, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

JIMMY CLAUSEN QB, RODGER SAFFOLD OT, and MONTARIO HARDESTY, rounds 1, 2, and 4 for the REDSKINS? So says WALTER football.

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 21, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Anyone else miss Jason La Confora?

Posted by: holdepa | March 21, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

By Micah Pollack | March 20, 2010; 2:50 PM ET
================================
Casserly's assessment of Jason, video below.

I think JC's QB play changed dramatically after the knee injury in 2007.
By his own admission, JC is a body worshipping yoga/pilates type.. who saw his knee cap removed from its patella tendon when his season ended in 2007.

He now plays scared which forces him to leave the pocket or dump off the short pass before the primary WR has time to gain separation (ie get open).

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | March 21, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Dear monkeymayonaise,

Mayonnaise has two 'n's' in it
Posted by Samson

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | March 20, 2010 9:54 PM

Its kind of hard to spell mayonnaise; just like tomato; however,at least,he spelled monkey right.

Posted by: abxinc | March 21, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

at least,he spelled monkey right.

Posted by: abxinc | March 21, 2010 10:08 AM

Maybe. Could have been a typo. Dude might have been going for donkey.

Posted by: League-Source | March 21, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

By the way,who is Mike Kafka?

Posted by: abxinc | March 21, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

"Anyone else miss Jason La Confora?"

Yes and no.

JaLa's posts were second to none, he lived on this blog and gave really great updates. No pun to Jason Reid, but JaLa was just a better reporter. He always gave the inside scoop to everything which was probably why he went to the NFL channel.

The "no" part of this is that JaLa was very biased, seemingly against the Redskins and it reared his ugly head from time to time. I don't mind criticism becasue I sure have given tons over the years but some of JaLa's posts were a little "over the top."

As far as this entry goes, sounds like Shanny is installing a REAL offense. Thank God.

Now all they need to do is get smart and draft Okung, not Bradford.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | March 21, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Actually, I think I remember Kansas or K St. has a pretty good kick returner...But their blacksites suck..

Posted by: frak | March 21, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Hey fat Al did one day of work out at the park and skip the rest of the week

Posted by: joevick2 | March 21, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

from CBSSports
03/18/2010 - PRO DAY RESULTS: He may not be anywhere near the most famous or celebrated quarterbacks in this year's draft, but Mike Kafka sure did astound the scouts from 25 teams in attendance at Northwestern's pro day on Thursday. Among those on hand were Bengals QB coach Ken Zampese and Cardinals QB coach Chris Miller. The senior signal caller followed up on his sensational NFL Scouting Combine performance, in which he was among the top quarterbacks in the vertical jump, broad jump, three-cone drill, and 60-yard shuttle, with a tremendous throwing session indoors on FieldTurf. Kafka passed to his former Wildcats receivers, Zeke Markshausen and Andrew Brewer, and according to one scout, missed only one throw the entire workout. - Gil Brandt, NFL.com

Posted by: frediefritz | March 21, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Mike Kafka sure did astound the scouts from 25 teams in attendance at Northwestern's pro day...

Posted by: frediefritz | March 21, 2010 11:01 AM |

I also enjoyed that book he wrote about Gregor Samsak waking up and changing into a cockroach. One of my favorites.

Posted by: League-Source | March 21, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

LEVI BROWN? What's up with him currently? He hasn't signed has he (shudder)?

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 21, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse
Levi Brown is OT for cardinals. Not aware that he was released.

Did you mean to ask about Levi Jones? We offered him a 1 year contract, he wanted 2 yr contract. I haven't heard anything more after that.

Posted by: frediefritz | March 21, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Surprised no one hasmentioned that Haynesworth has blown off 4 of the first 5 days of offseason workouts. I'm not sure how many days of the offseason workouts Shanny wanted players to do at the Park, but it'd be interesting to see how Shanny handles Hanyesworth when training camps starts and Haynesworth is not in the shape he should be.

Posted by: TWISI | March 21, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz | March 21, 2010 11:01 AM |

Fred- The knock on him is that he only started his senior yr, HOWEVER…he has a strong arm and is pretty mobile. Could be a nice pick late in the draft.

Draft analyst Mike Maycock said that Kafka was "a developmental guy" who should stay on a team's practice squad for a year. Kafka had some of the best measurements in the vertical jump, broad jump, 60-yard shuttle, and three-cone drill among all quarterbacks.

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 21, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Report: Haynesworth showed up, then ditched first week of offseason workouts

Posted by Mike Florio on March 21, 2010 10:36 AM ET

New Redskins coach Mike Shanahan said that he "wants [his] leaders" to participate in the offseason workout program. Though the question of whether defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth is among the team's "leaders" remains a subject for debate, Haynesworth showed up for the launch of the lifting-and-running exercise sessions on Monday.

But he hasn't been back.

According to our friends (and possibly future colleagues) at CSNWashington.com, Haynesworth appeared Monday for orientation, and then he failed to return.

Haynesworth reportedly isn't keen on the idea of a switch from a 4-3 defense to a 3-4 attack, in which he'd presumably be used at times as a nose tackle and at times as a defensive end. Given that he was a disappointment during his first season with the team, we wouldn't rule out a trade -- assuming that the Redskins could find a team willing to assume the balance of his contract, which has as a practical matter three seasons remaining on it.

The absence of a salary cap permits the Redskins to trade or cut him with no consequence, other than eating the money he already has been paid and, in the event of a release, guaranteed cash that he'll be owed in the future.

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 21, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | March 21, 2010 11:16 AM

Did he "blow them off" or was he excused from participating? Need all the facts before jumping in on this one.

Posted by: League-Source | March 21, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz

I don't think that the WaPo bloggers have to live by the same journalism rules as the rest of the WaPo reports. They don't get to sit at the big boy table in the WaPo lunch room. They are SUPPOSED to have an opinion and express it on the blog. Being an actual story breaker is optional. However, since this is called Redskins INSIDER, readers assume that once in a while JReid will break a story.

The problem with JReid is that he has not scooped a story since he took over for JLC, and he's been iced out of Redskins Park because of the all the dirt Jasno dished in his stint here. Compounding the problem is the fact that the marginal role players that were JReid's "sources" - Cartwright, Betts, Suisham -- got served with walking papers.

Jasno had no scruples when it came to sources. He'd interview a janitor at The Park and call him a "team official". The "team official" would be quoted saying something that was essentially a Jasno opinion, and fresh meat was served to the blog. I'll give JReid credit for refraining from the constant use of anonymous, uncorroborated sources. Unfortunately, it makes for a boring blog. People like PFT because Florio can just report an unverified rumor as soon as it shows up on radar. I think JReid goes out of his way to corroborate stories (either that or he's just lazy), and by the time he posts a story, it's been on the Web for hours and is old news.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | March 21, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | March 21, 2010 11:05 AM |

Jesus. Another day having to put up with what this dick thinks is witty.

Posted by: BlackBagOps | March 21, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | March 21, 2010 11:32 AM

I have to follow this very closely.

Jasno's anonymous quote = talent evaluator
Jason's anonymous quote = league source

Jasno's informer = team official
Jason's informer = person inside the building

Posted by: League-Source | March 21, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RoundToes | March 20, 2010 8:58 PM |

Props to Toes for mocking another ridiculous J Reid post.

Posted by: BlackBagOps | March 21, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Jesus. Another day having to put up with what this dick thinks is witty.

Posted by: BlackBagOps

Oh the irony.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | March 21, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

... but it'd be interesting to see how Shanny handles Hanyesworth when training camps starts and Haynesworth is not in the shape he should be.

Posted by: TWISI | March 21, 2010 11:16 AM |

Good pint. At some pint all this "how sweet it is" shti that the players have been singing is going to have to end and Shan is going to have to bare his toofs big time. Don't forget that this is a team that owned the previous HC, espec the vets. At some pint them days will have to end with a big-time Shan shti fit.

Posted by: BlackBagOps | March 21, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

I happened to stubble across this piece while reading the Pro football talk site this morning where it was linked.

It's time to get off Jim's back. I have absolutely no respect for the players who are coming out now, as they did as well the day Jim was fired and are esstentially being critical of how his offense was or how he ran things. Did Jim make mistakes? Sure he did. Most people do in life. And I'm sure they are some things he would do differently if he could.

I'm not surprised at all the comments that are being made and have been made about Jim by the players. It's typical for the way most pro athletes respond to any issues that arise on a team or in life when things don't go well. Once again the usual lack of maturity and professionalism are ever present. The vast majority of pro athletes have the emotional maturity of a 15 year old walking around in a man's body. Which why so many of them make the consistently poor and stupid decisions that they make off the field. If you want a example just look at Clinton Portis. If these guys were so upset about how he did things than why didn't they go have a chat with the coach and try to have an intelligent discussion about it? Because that requires professionalism and maturity. To have have those you have to have character which again most these guys don't have and wouldn't know what it is if you showed them the word in the dictionary.

The biggest mistake any coach can make with these pro athletes is to treat them like adults. The truth is most of them don't deserve to be treated as such because they are not adults. They are emotionally stunted. This article is just one more piece of a long line of proof that shows that. My advice to them is simple: Grow-up and take responsibility for your jobs and how you perform and quit blaming others for your failures in life.

Posted by: afriendofzorn | March 21, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Anyone else miss Jason La Confora?

Posted by: holdepa | March 21, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

I DO NOT! LaCanfora has a personal ax to grind with the team and hid behind "team sources"

Posted by: rickyroge | March 21, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Vicc, vic1 kids. Sheesh.

Posted by: periculum | March 21, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frak | March 21, 2010 10:40 AM |

Au contraire. Their black sites are some of the best there are.

Posted by: BlackBagOps | March 21, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

rickroge,

Clearly those "team sources" are now gone. noting how poorly WaPo guesses what is going on behind the scenes at this point. La Canfora and Vinny were feuding and all of Vinny's minions plus the owner were after him.

JLaCa is gone. But so now too is Cerrato. And to an extent even Snyder, now tired of being continually raked over the goals from the shores of the Atlantic to those of the Pacific.

Posted by: periculum | March 21, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

That's the way it works. You're deferential to them and then when you're booted of the reservation they kick you in the toofs. Heh, heh.

Posted by: BlackBagOps | March 21, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | March 21, 2010 11:16 AM

If this is a statement of fact,could you indicate your source? If it is something you pulled out of the air, then I'm sorry.

Posted by: abxinc | March 21, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

What makes this offseason so interesting is the anticipation of what is going to happen on draft day...

Questions

Will Jason Campbell be traded?
Will Carlos Rogers be traded?
Will Chris Cooley be traded?
What are the Skins going to do with Albert Haynesworth?
How many additional picks, if any, will be able to acquire?
Will we trade back?
Will we draft a QB with the #4 pick? Okung? Suh?
What will happen with Andre Carter?

The plot thickens!

Posted by: rickyroge | March 21, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: abxinc

For starters, it was reported by CSN on TV last night and is on their site today.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | March 21, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: abxinc | March 21, 2010 12:17 PM |

Dude saw it all from a grassy knoll abutting the practice fields in Red Park.

Posted by: BlackBagOps | March 21, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: abxinc | March 21, 2010 12:17 PM

It's on PFT (not BeantownGreg's PFT) and they cite some DC media outlet. May be something to it, may not. It's the type of stuff Jason Reid ought to be reporting up here.

Posted by: League-Source | March 21, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

The plot thickens!

Posted by: rickyroge | March 21, 2010 12:20 PM |

Actually even though the FO ain't did nothing yet this Skins offseason seems to have as much drama as the ones in the past when they did lots of $$$.

Posted by: BlackBagOps | March 21, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

It's the type of stuff Jason Reid ought to be reporting up here.

Posted by: League-Source

New low. WaPo scooped by Strawberry Shortcake.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | March 21, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Dude saw it all from a grassy knoll abutting the practice fields in Red Park.

Posted by: BlackBagOps | March 21, 2010 12:23 PM

Jesus. Another day having to put up with what this dick thinks is witty.

Posted by: BlackBagOps | March 21, 2010 11:40 AM

Posted by: League-Source | March 21, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Dude saw it all from a grassy knoll abutting the practice fields in Red Park.

Posted by: BlackBagOps | March 21, 2010 12:23 PM

Jesus. Another day having to put up with what this dick thinks is witty.

Posted by: BlackBagOps | March 21, 2010 11:40 AM

Posted by: League-Source

Oh the irony.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | March 21, 2010 11:43 AM

This could go on forever.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | March 21, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

I hear the Skins are looking at the athletic QB from Appalachin State who has some playmaking ability, could be a dynamite returner, receiver etc....

What are your thoughts?

Posted by: 72Redskins | March 21, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

What are your thoughts?

Posted by: 72Redskins | March 21, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

New low. WaPo scooped by Strawberry Shortcake.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | March 21, 2010 12:26 PM

You know, I don't often look at the Wizards or Caps blogs but whenever I do I find that there is so much more substance posted over there. If I have a question about Wiz personnel, I usually click on that blog and it had been answered before I'd even thought of it.

I don't know whether RI is so much worse because of Reid/Maske/Pollack(?) or simply because the Post has not been able to build a constructive relationship with Redskins' front offices over the years. But RI is only good for the jibba-jabba, not for the Redskins news and analysis.

Posted by: League-Source | March 21, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

I really don't understand how Cooley is always mentioned as trade bait, until Fred Davis continues to improve on what he was able to do last year, Cooley is our best tight end. Why would you want to get rid of the best player at that position right now?

Posted by: 72Redskins | March 21, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source

My usual routine: 1) look at headline; 2) skip RI blog post; 3) find out what dumba$$ bama RedDMV is mad at today; 4) fight urge to post comment about periculum's lack of football knowledge; 5) fight urge to post anti-Jason Campbell propaganda (optional); 6) contemplate whether frak and periculum are alter egos of same unfunny person; 7) go back to work.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | March 21, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinfanman | March 21, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

GO Terps!!
Go Cal Golden Bears!!

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 21, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

ESPN rumour mongers pot stirring re Redskins and Tim Tebow.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | March 21, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Love the Appalachian St. guy- he'll be the designated rasta-qb, spelling in the Red Zone....He actually might be a much better choice than Tebow considering he didn't have the Florida Sunshine Boys surrounding him...Could be a natural born killa...

As for His Worship Big Al, he may go down as the highest cost thing per minute since the Iraq War...

Posted by: frak | March 21, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Fat Albert working out with a trainer BEEPS..

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 21, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

LT- Mrs. T. Woods (with driver)
LG- Toxic chemicals