Posted at 10:00 AM ET, 11/26/2010

Adrian Peterson may be the Vikings' lone bright spot

By Jason Reid

Although the Minnesota Vikings have had a nightmarish season, Pro Bowl running back Adrian Peterson is having another outstanding year.

Peterson is second in the NFL in rushing with 980 yards. He also is averaging 4.6 yards per carry and has scored seven touchdowns.

Interim coach Leslie Frazier hopes to lead the Vikings to a victory over the Redskins in his first game in control of the team, and Peterson's performance could be a major factor Sunday at FedEx Field.

"It's a good vibe" since Frazier replaced former coach Brad Childress this week, Peterson said. "We left everything in the past past, and are looking forward to take steps forward. That's where the main focus is."

It's clear what Frazier expects from the Vikings, Peterson said.

"Just guys going out and just playing the game the way that he knows we can," he said. "That's pretty much all you can ask for. Go out there and make a statement. Play Minnesota Vikings football in all phases."

By Jason Reid  | November 26, 2010; 10:00 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins wary of Brett Favre despite his struggles
Next: Shanahan expects Rabach, Hicks to play; Moss to be game-time decision

Comments

Adrian Peterson may be the Vikings' lone bright spot
By Jason Reid

Much leftover turkey after Thanksgiving
By Jason Reid

Posted by: beep-beep | November 26, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Much leftover turkey after Thanksgiving
By Jason Reid

Posted by: beep-beep | November 26, 2010 10:10 AM

Reid has leftovers? Hard to believe.

Posted by: PlayAction | November 26, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

lmao

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 26, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Reid has leftovers? Hard to believe.

Posted by: PlayAction | November 26, 2010 10:17 AM |

he's got plenty of leftover AH threads

Posted by: hessone | November 26, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

he's got plenty of leftover AH threads

Posted by: hessone | November 26, 2010 10:23 AM

Haha true

I'm starting to get an uneasy feeling about this game...all the injuries piling up...opponent says they want to make a statement...just hope we come out and smack them in the mouth after what happened last time at home.

Posted by: PlayAction | November 26, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

I'm thinkin' we come out strong. Vikes are going to be pumped up on their new-coarch high. But we've already shown we can come back from epic adversity... Have they come back from anything this year?

I understand the hesitation when looking at a 'should win' for us. But I'm feeling kinda confident here.

We're 5-0 scoring under 19 pts, right?

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 26, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

We're 5-0 scoring under 19 pts, right?

We're also 1-3 against teams with losing records: (Cowboys 3-8; Texans 4-6, Rams 4-6, Lions 2-9).

Posted by: bangkokben | November 26, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

We're 5-0 scoring under 19 pts, right?

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 26, 2010 10:46 AM

5-1 under 19 points, actually, thanks to the Rams (lost 30-16).

Posted by: Alan4 | November 26, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bangkokben | November 26, 2010 10:56 AM

Ouch...flip that around and the skins are 7 and 3...ouch.

Posted by: PlayAction | November 26, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

I think what you can take from both the 'skins record against losing teams as well as there records in low scoring games is that no matter who the opponent the 'skins play to the level of their competition.

Posted by: bangkokben | November 26, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Your mom is the Vikings' lone bright spot.

Posted by: Section104 | November 26, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

'skins play to the level of their competition

never will understand this one. you're prepared to play or you're not.

Posted by: hessone | November 26, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

... is that no matter who the opponent the 'skins play to the level of their competition.

Posted by: bangkokben | November 26, 2010 11:06 AM

Just as long as they are ready to bring it for the Giants and Cowboys games that are upcoming as well as the finale against the Giants. Be nice to do well against TB and the Vikes but that may be asking too much given the injuries.

Posted by: periculum | November 26, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

"Pro Bowl running back Adrian Peterson is having another outstanding year." Thank God we drafted him and let Clinton (All Fall Down) Portis go.

Wait! You mean we didn't? We drafted WHO? And we traded Champ Bailey for WHAT? All Fall Down?

This must be a bad dream. Wake me up when it's over.

Posted by: cbtole2 | November 26, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

This must be a bad dream. Wake me up when it's over.

Posted by: cbtole2 | November 26, 2010 11:21 AM |

you can wake up now, cerrato has been released

Posted by: hessone | November 26, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

'skins play to the level of their competition

never will understand this one. you're prepared to play or you're not.

Posted by: hessone | November 26, 2010 11:15 AM

It's not about preparation...it's about how hard you go. In basketball, you're not going to play your kid in the backyard the same way you'll play someone of comparable age and size in an organized game. It's a natural pitfall that only a select few teams have the strength of mind to avoid.

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 26, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

never will understand this one. you're prepared to play or you're not.

Posted by: hessone | November 26, 2010 11:15 AM

You would think...but teams may take another team lightly as an "easy" win...or look ahead to a more "important" matchup...happens all the time...up to the coaching staff to keep the team focused...where the skins are at right now...they don't have to play down TOO FAR to any competition.

Posted by: PlayAction | November 26, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

brown and play,

taking a team lightly and being unprepared is one thing, playing down to another teams level because that team sucks doesn't make to much sense

Posted by: hessone | November 26, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Hess, have you ever played a competitive sport before? Not taking a lesser opponent seriously is as natural as breathing...as I said, only a few teams have the structure and leadership to win games like that consistently.

The reason it's mindnumbing that the Skins are guilty of that is because they've had an inflated (and at times borderline delusional) sense of how good they are. Look around the league dude...the Saints lost at home to the Browns, the Ravens needed OT to beat the Bills, the Pats had to come from behind to beat the Lions yesterday. It happens EVERY year...

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 26, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

brown and play,

Posted by: hessone | November 26, 2010 11:32 AM

Daughter had a soccer tournament last weekend...first game played a team they should have rolled over...they lost...met them again in the championship...crushed them. It happens. Trust me.

Posted by: PlayAction | November 26, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Yes, here's hoping they "play Minnesota Vikings football in all phases." Assuming that means throwing lots of dumb interceptions, not showcasing Peterson/run game... and, ultimately, losing.

That's what Minnesota Vikings football means, right?

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 26, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Watched the Dallas game yesterday and I have to say that nothing makes a Thanksgiving more complete than a Dallas loss. It struck me yesterday that the Dallas team is made up of guys who individually are gifted; however cannot play mistake-free football or function as a team. Talk about a coaching nightmare. It's like a team of Devin Thomases. It makes me feel all warm inside that the Cowboys are imploding.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 26, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

It happens. Trust me.

Well we can only hope the Redskins are more professional that your daughter's soccer team.

Posted by: wireman65 | November 26, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

I know we don't blow teams out, not our thing. My prediction for Sunday:

Skins 31 Vikes 13

Finish Favre. "Put him in a body bag, Johnny!!"

Hope you all had a nice Thanksgiving

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | November 26, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 26, 2010 11:28 AM

Are you kidding? I pad my stats against kids in the backyard!

I normally play the point, but I go all Hakeem Olajuwan on the young 'uns.

10 year old kid tried to drive around me on a layup, I threw 40 feet in the neighbor's yard like "get that weak sh!t outta here!"

I just hope my wife had the digital recorder going...

Posted by: Alan4 | November 26, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

It happens. Trust me.

Posted by: wireman65 | November 26, 2010 11:47 AM

Haha...it's probably close...but just tried to put it in terms that he might understand...it's human nature...amateur or pro.

Posted by: PlayAction | November 26, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Somewhere, an English teacher is weeping.

Posted by: freakzilla | November 26, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

I don't know that the Skins have any competition to "play down" to because that assumes that we "should" be better than another team in the NFL - and we shouldn't assume that.

I think some of the "better" teams in the NFL - Packers, Bears - may have taken us a bit too lightly and they got burned.

The Skins are a team with talent on the defensive side of the ball, but pretty schizo in performing due to a combination of underacheiving, some new players, new coaches and a new defensive system that doesn't necessarily put all that talent in a position to get its best (AH, Andre Carter, London Fletch).

On the offense they have little talent to work with and a new offensive system that has yet to identify itself, but they are a gritty team with some fight.

It all adds up to a mediocre 5-5 squad that isn't sure what it's going to do on Sunday.

In the end we are the wild card team that other "good" teams don't necessarily want to play.

Posted by: p1funk | November 26, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

---------

brown,

agree with you brown on what you wrote above. thinking you'll have an easy game against a weaker opponent is not playing DOWN to your opponents level though, it's being unprepared for your opponent. we didn't play UP to the level of the eagle's 2 weeks ago. wouldn't we if that was the case ?

Posted by: hessone | November 26, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

"thinking you'll have an easy game against a weaker opponent is not playing DOWN to your opponents level though"

Posted by: hessone | November 26, 2010 12:03 PM

Oh brother...next.

Posted by: PlayAction | November 26, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Hess, have you ever played a competitive sport before?

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 26, 2010 11:37 AM |

no brown, I live under a rock

Posted by: hessone | November 26, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

That's what Minnesota Vikings football means, right?

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 26, 2010 11:44 AM
------------------------------------------
I don't think Leslie Frazier has the emotional investment in Favre that Chilly did. Frazier's going to run the ball to keep it out of Favre's hands and if Favre starts heaving lemons, we'll be seeing Tavaris Jackson. Frankly, I worry about Frazier. Chilly lost the team. Frazier is the kind of guy that could win them back quickly. I suspect we will see a different Vikings team playing on Sunday.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 26, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

"Sewage Pipelines Burst Nationwide; President Declares National Emergency, Says "People Are Just So Full Of Sh*t"

BLORP!!

Posted by: frak | November 26, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Hess, have you ever played a competitive sport before?

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 26, 2010 11:37 AM |

no brown, I live under a rock

Posted by: hessone | November 26, 2010 12:07 PM
-----------------------------------------
Back off, Brown. I hear Hessone was a savage croquet player for the Landover Butterfly Collection Society.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 26, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

When do we get to play PA's daughter's team? Yuk, Yuk. Seriously I think we should crowd the LOS and try to bottle up AP. Outside contain is key. Farve has two or three dumb dumb passes left in him and if we can take one or two to the house we'll probably win. I'm just not looking forward to the ride home after the game, always is a long ride back here Thanksgiving weekend. Good thing my buddies wife is driving and I can relax with a cocktail or two and savor the win. Doesn't matter if I fall into that trap, I'm not playing.

Posted by: wireman65 | November 26, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 26, 2010 12:18 PM |

we fluddered up every game last year cause we played down to our opponents level, a bunch of moth's

Posted by: hessone | November 26, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 26, 2010 12:18 PM

Its true...I always made sure that my cup was securely fastened when I had to go up against him.

Posted by: PlayAction | November 26, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

crowd the los and AP will break several 40 yarders.

Posted by: bangkokben | November 26, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlayAction | November 26, 2010 12:23 PM |

it's true, they make a cup for females so playaction can participate.

Posted by: hessone | November 26, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wireman65 | November 26, 2010 12:21 PM

Yuck...the beltway and 95 is going to be a nightmare!

Posted by: PlayAction | November 26, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

it's true, they make a cup for females so playaction can participate.

Posted by: hessone | November 26, 2010 12:28 PM

That's not nice hess...you're not very good at taking compliments are you?

Posted by: PlayAction | November 26, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

That's not nice hess...you're not very good at taking compliments are you?

Posted by: PlayAction | November 26, 2010 12:35 PM |
------

Oh brother...next.

Posted by: PlayAction | November 26, 2010 12:06 PM |

Posted by: hessone | November 26, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hessone | November 26, 2010 12:48 PM

My bad hess...but I did say you were a tough croquet player back in the day...and you called me a girl? Oh well...have a nice weekend.

Go Skins!

Posted by: PlayAction | November 26, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Dude, sadly that Dallas loss gives the Saints 8-3 record, it would have been better if they win and put the Saints at 7-4 which is better for the Skins wild card chances.

Posted by: abxinc | November 26, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

PLayoffs?!1 We're talking playoffs??!!

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 26, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Plaxico Burress is gettin' out in June...He's 33. Wouldn't hurt to bring him for a looksee.

He can't be worse than "Pops" Galloway

Posted by: rickyroge | November 26, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 26, 2010 11:47 AM

AMEN!!!!! Nothing sweeter than watching jerruh and his lame gang getting all excited when dallas took the lead ... KNOWING how deflated that same lame gang was a few minutes later when they coughed it up. People gagging on their mashed potatoes all over dallas yesterday. Beautiful.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 26, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

How serious is Santana Moss's injury? Will he be able to play this Sunday? Any
news elsewhere on the web?

Posted by: DeployedFan | November 26, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Dallas being garaunteed a non-winning record is worth celebrating.

Posted by: bangkokben | November 26, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Why does it feel like I'm the only one here...

...

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 26, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Why does it feel like I'm the only one here...

...

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 26, 2010 2:01 PM |

Please join us at the new thread Dik.

Beep Beep