After recovering from injury, bulked-up Jeremy Jarmon readjusts to football

There are plenty of things NFL players tire of during a seemingly endless offseason. But for Redskins defensive lineman Jeremy Jarmon, it wasn't the typical complaint of endless weightlifting or conditioning -- it was the food.

"It got to the point where I didn't enjoy eating," Jarmon said.

Jarmon was originally expected to play outside linebacker in the Redskins' new 3-4 defensive scheme. Later in the offseason, however, the team asked him to bulk up and play on the line.

Jarmon was listed at 278 pounds when the Redskins selected him in the third round of the supplemental draft last July, but said he was up nearly 20 pounds for training camp this year.

"It's going well, getting used to carrying my new weight," Jarmon said. "I'm up to 295 [pounds] now so just got to get used to that. It's the heaviest I've ever played at, it's going to help me, and I'm just trying to do whatever I can to help my team."

Entering his rookie season, it was initially believed that it would take time before Jarmon would have a chance to contribute. Instead, he saw time from the start of the season and finished the year with nine tackles, eight solo, and one forced fumble in 11 games.

Jarmon tore his left anterior cruciate ligament on Nov. 29 against Philadelphia and was placed on injured reserve for the remainder of the 2009 season. After undergoing surgery and missing all of the offseason workouts, Jarmon said his knee feels one hundred percent recovered and it is now a matter of getting readjusted to football.

"I've been out of the game for seven months," Jarmon said on Friday. "Any time you step away from something you just kind of got to re-introduce yourself to it again. [I] made a big improvement from yesterday to today, keep getting better, the game is starting to slow down for me slowly again."

By Paul Tenorio  |  July 31, 2010; 4:21 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Shanahan: 'There's competition' at quarterback behind McNabb
Next: Fisher: Test Haynesworth failed twice with Redskins is the same one Titans use

Comments

first?

Posted by: noonefromtampa | July 31, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

*Another NFC Beast WR injured*

BETHLEHEM, Pa. -- Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver DeSean Jackson has been carted off the field with a back injury during an afternoon practice at training camp.

The Eagles' leading receiver caught a pass Saturday and stumbled to the ground, then needed help to the sidelines. Moments later, a cart came and took him to the workout facility.

Team officials said Jackson is still being evaluated by the medical staff.

Jackson, one of the most dynamic playmakers in the league, had a career year in 2009 with 63 catches for 1,167 yards and nine touchdowns for the Eagles.

Posted by: Vicc | July 31, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

13 days until first game
can't wait

will AH pass his test by then?
who will be the #2 WR?
Will Colt actually get into the game?
can we avoid major injuries this preseason?

Posted by: noonefromtampa | July 31, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Can't wait to see Portis this year.

Boy have I had my battles defending him up here on RI

What a fuccing stellar running back the Redskins have had. Not too many running backs have amassed the numbers CP has put up before the age of 29. I've always argued that CP will put up HOF numbers when it's all said and done. I just hope we can get a Superbowl win to cement his place in Canton.

Clinton ain't done folks. He still averaged 4ypc last season and our second best rb averaged 2.9 or something?

I love how every1 talks about he needed a 78 yarder to get his avg up, but how many of our other running backs got a 78 yarder behind our line? Clinton has done this his whole career...25 carries for 130(1 carry for like 40 yds, 1 carry for like 20 yds and the other 23 carries for like 70yds) He's always been a threat to break a big one. ALWAYS.

He has at least 2 more effective seasons in him. at least...

Posted by: Vicc | July 31, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

He has at least 2 more effective seasons in him. at least...

Posted by: Vicc | July 31, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse
_________________________

As long as he keeps working out & practicing to keep his body loose which the Shannys will make sure of... I heard today on the radio, that for the entire time Jim Zorn was the coach, he practiced like 4 times. That is pretty remarkable stat, no wonder the players were fed up with him last year.

Posted by: tony325 | July 31, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

I'm gonna go out to the morning practice on Monday. Hopefully Albert is practicing.

Posted by: Vicc | July 31, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

mooooooooooooooove along.... more news about shuttle runs.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | July 31, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

I say all the way with L.J.

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | July 31, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

I agree that CP26 is one of the keys to a successful season and am hopeful he is up to the task. Regular practice and timing with the O line will be a requirement. I don't miss Zorny at all. I think Shanny will get everything out of him he's got left.

Posted by: wireman65 | July 31, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

I like Jarmon! I hope he has a great year!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | July 31, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse