A Quick Look Back ... All the Way to July

After something like 23 weeks and 161 days, here we are at the end of the season for the Redskins. Maybe it's only natural to be reflective at this time of year, but I can't stop thinking back to that first day of camp, July 20, and the trade for Jason Taylor. That's not necessarily what I'll take away from this season, but it's what's on my mind today. What will your top memory of this season be?

As has been the case for 16 weeks, we'll have inactives ASAP and we'll be twittering (RedskinsInsider) and BOGO. And there'll be the usual mobile alerts (text REDSKINS to WPOST -- 97678).

Finally, a big thank you for hanging out with us up here (we're closing in on 300,000 posts) and on twitter. You guys are terrific company... and you do some of your finest work in the offseason!

By Cindy Boren  |  December 28, 2008; 11:58 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Hip, Hip Hair-ray?
Next: Week 17 Inactives

Comments

I've got it ... How about NOTS? Number of Thrown Shoes?

Add a "K" for "Kickme" and its KNOTS ...

Posted by: periculum | December 28, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Rudy's Coach Greg seems to think Taylor will play a key role next season.

Posted by: periculum | December 28, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

the first thing that came to my mind was Leigh Torrence getting turned around on a long pass play to Donny Avery.

you all know the rest of the story.

no doubt if i gave it some thought, i'd come up with something else. but when i read the question, that's what came first.

Posted by: RedskinWillie | December 28, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

But its really more about Suisham. Many of those games may have been won had he not been the least accurate kicker in the NFL.

Worth a higher round draft pick to get a new kicker?

What is the name of the only NFL team who actually had MVP kickers?

The Washington Redskins with Sammy Baugh and Mark Moseley.

Its sad that the Skins have the worst kicker given that legacy.

Posted by: periculum | December 28, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

I don't know if "top memory" is the right phrase:

Watching the Redskins control the 3rd quarter of the 2nd Cowboys game and thinking, "Even though we've squandered all those opportunities, we're still going to win this game".

And then we folded like a lawn chair in the 4th quarter.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | December 28, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

quick question... is there anywhere online to watch the game for free? thanks ..lets go skins!!!

Posted by: gawnpostal | December 28, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Super Bowl defense
Minor League offense
Execution
Medium
Remember the famous quote:
Q: "What do you think about the execution of your .....?"
A: "I am all for it!"
Who was it?

Posted by: johnbear1 | December 28, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

i have two lasting memories of the season. the first was the rams game i was sitting in the endzone standing and watched as pete kendall tried to become mike sellers and i said to my friend thats gonna cost us the playoffs. my second memory is watching us give the ball to sellers twice on the goal line while portis just stood in the backfield. 9-7 aint bad. 12-4 next year.

Posted by: bza48842002 | December 28, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Those 2 lowlights just mentioned and the Martellus Bennett TD. That 4-1 start doesn't even seem like it happened this year.

Posted by: Posse81_83_84 | December 28, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bza48842002 | December 28, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Wow, eerily similar bza - I was at both of those games, on same side of field of both those fateful plays. There were so many Skins fans in Cincy, I was proud if devastated by that fumble that likely cost us the playoffs.

But let's add a happy memory - beating Dallas in the final Skins/Boys game in Texas Stadium...is that something you might be interested in?

we're gonna beat SF like they stole somethin

HAIL

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 28, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

The season isn't over yet ... they are facing a Singletary team not a Mike Nolan team. (Nolan is maybe the only DC of the Redskins to get fired before Grilliams last year. Nolan deserved it.)

Singletary's team has been playing on pure pride since their 2-5 start. This would be the first game for the Skins.

If the 49'ers blow out the Redskins it could have huge repercussions. If the 49'ers win it will have some. If the Redskins win it will be because of the defense. I don't expect much from Portis. Devin Thomas sounds like he is ready to go home. Kelly sounds like he will be back at work next week. Maybe Kelly will be the first higher round receiver to make this team as a starter. If his wheels hold up.

Posted by: periculum | December 28, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

John Bear,

John McKay, 1976 Bucs Coach....... Famous quote, even though I was 3.

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | December 28, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Don't kid yourself- this team showed last week that they can play for pride. They all knew we were essentially eliminated from the playoffs as they took that field. They stepped up and showed the character which many on this blog quesitoned. They know the importance of finishing strong, even if next week is the golf course and not the playoffs. 9-7 will be a good stepping stone for next year. And it sounds so much better than 8-8.

I wistfully noted that among the Top 10 defenses in the league (we're 4th), we are the only team eliminated from playoff consideration. And all but Philly and TB have already clinched. How does that happen?? Oh wait...there it is....16.1 ppg (25th in the league)...defense wins championships- scoring helps too.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 28, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Malcolm Kelly dedicating himself and drafting well along the lines...if these two things happen, we will be a team to be reckoned with next year.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 28, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Favorite Memory this year for me was...

HANGINING out in Canton w/ the many Skins fans. Canton became Northern D.C.

Only disappointment of that weekend was realizing how big of an ego Darrell Green has..... HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT!!!

Baffled at speaking with Donnie Warren on how unbelieavable Chad Rinehart was going to be..... hopefully he's still right??

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | December 28, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

As far as memories of this year.....

TOP 3 ( in no order)

* Horton's INT against Dallas...That convinced me we were gonna win the game. Despite the time left on the clock.

* Recovering the opening on-side kick vs. Pitt. Eventhough we lost...at that moment , you couldn't have convinced me we would have lost that game.

* The final seconds ticking off in the first Philly win. I am more in shock now than I was at the time it happened. You mean the same team we will see today went INTO Dallas and Philly and won?!?!

Posted by: cej75024 | December 28, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Anybody checking out the "pure comedy" in the Bills/Pats game??? FG kicking in a 40-60mph wind is unbelievable. If someone makes one it should be worth 6......

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | December 28, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Snidely Owl and TCCL Pictures
A Moe, Curley, Larry, and Shemp Production
(Don't let Moe see the Vinnster he'll want cheese!)

OW RDPAS! (and Detroit fans complain?)
(Our wide receiver draft picks always suck!)

Year Round Sel # Player comments
1991 12 326 Keenan McCardell RELEASED good WR
1989 4 110 Erik Affholter
1987 10 274 Ted Wilson
1987 11 304 LaRon Brown
1986 2 45 Walter Murray
1984 12 335 Curtland Thomas
1984 UNDRAFTED Gary Clark (great WR)
1984 UNDRAFTED Clarence Verdin (good WR)
1981 8 201 Charlie Brown (ONLY good draftee)
1980 1 18 Art Monk (converted HB HOF great)

Posted by: periculum | December 28, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

BOTTOM 3 MEMORIES ( no order)

* Brandon Jacobs running over LaLa.

* Ladell Betts fumble inside of 2 minutes vs Seattle. In the middle of a losing streak, it made me feel ( as is the case with the Skins ) NOTHING EVER comes easy for this team.

* Falling behind 17 nothing to Cincy. Despite the " comeback " (in loose quotes) those moments being down by 17 to that bunch we're awful.

Posted by: cej75024 | December 28, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | December 28, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Clegg...that is histerical !! The over/under was 35. I took the under...and feel pretty confident. How can Gostkowski line up for a 26 yd FG.....start it off at the left hashmark...AND MISS IT WIDE RIGHT !!

Posted by: cej75024 | December 28, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

FA WR TO GO AFTER: Bobby ENgram or Malcolm Floyd. Both should be cheap. We are def cutting thrash and maybe ARE. We need one more person besides moss and the rookie shlubs. Engram or Floyd will work. Get er done!

Posted by: jrb947 | December 28, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Best memory of the Skins year?

5 minutes of Skins fans standing and applauding Art Monk in Canton

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 28, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

And ONE "wild card":

Year Rd Sel# Player comments

1992 1 4 Desmond Howard (Terrible WR great KR)
(MVP for the PACKERS!!!(

Posted by: periculum | December 28, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Does anybody have that link to the website that shows what the networks are broadcasting around the country? I'm out of town right now and the local game started at 1 ... I want to see whether they will have the Skins game at 4:15. thx

Posted by: dcsween | December 28, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

sorry sween - are you in a hotel? they info on the TV should let you know. or maybe try fox.com

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 28, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

I think that, looking carefully back, with an objective analytical eye. The fact that JC made few mistakes ... did not lose games was critical and GOOD. However, the missed opportunities from missed field goals were the bitter coal lumps that tilted the scale me thinks.

"Oh wait...there it is....16.1 ppg (25th in the league)...defense wins championships- scoring helps too."

Posted by: periculum | December 28, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Have to wander over to Schooners and see what's on ... ah ... I'll tip a glass or two to y'all whilst watching the games and the surf ...

Posted by: periculum | December 28, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

dcsween - check tvguide.com. They let you search for listings by zip code.

Posted by: Posse81_83_84 | December 28, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

WaPo's TV interactive grid shows that both CBS and Fox have the Dallas-Philly game in my zip code. That can't be right. If it is, I want to be wrong.

Posted by: dcsween | December 28, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

BTW I am really hoping that Malcom Kelly changes the ugly streak and becomes the next Monk.

Posted by: periculum | December 28, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

I'm convinced our team needs a full-time psychologist. Portis, God love him, is an eccentric handful. JC's fragile ego is teetering on deflation. Carlos Rogers sees a ball coming at him and envisions a prickly pear. The FG posts look 3 feet wide to Suisham. And staying medium has certainly been a noble but elusive task.

Think Danny could throw $20 million at Dr. Phil?

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 28, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Posse, thx. Only slight consolation ... the other game is Jags-Ravens. Maybe they will show highlights of all the scoring in Niners-Skins ... which means maybe I'll catch all three field goals.

Posted by: dcsween | December 28, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

SWEEN,

YOU CAN GO TO NFL.com and sign up for a free trial and get the radio broadcasts on line.... it's like $9 a month, but since it's Wk 17, just go in and cancel it after the game.

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | December 28, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Clegg, thx. I might try that.

Posted by: dcsween | December 28, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | December 28, 2008 2:20 PM

sween,

NFL logic tells me that the 'Skins game will be broadcast in only two cities: Washington DC and San Francisco CA. If I weren't an ardent fan of one of those two teams I'd want to see Dallas/Philly.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 28, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | December 28, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse
It will be on Fox. Don't know how to get it where you are. I'm in OC, and I found an alternate Fox station to watch it.

Posted by: frediefritz | December 28, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Sween, only problem is you have to listen to the game and Sonny & Sam passing the bottle and the cigars as they argue which brand of scotch is the finest....

I had to listen to a qtr earlier in the year b/c my DirecTv was down b/c of the Hurricane, but miracously came back on in the 2nd qtr...... ( Man the good ol' days when we were winning )

REMINDS ME, I DON"T THINK I EVER CANCELLED THAT SUBSCRIPTION........

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | December 28, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

If you were overseas like BangkokBen you could watch it online with a quicktime viewer ... damned NFL and DirectTV.

"SWEEN,

YOU CAN GO TO NFL.com and sign up for a free trial and get the radio "

Posted by: periculum | December 28, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

And they are never too far from the Toddle House ... I wonder what Sonny will do without George Michaels?

"Sween, only problem is you have to listen to the game and Sonny & Sam passing the bottle and the cigars as they argue which brand of scotch is the finest ...."

Posted by: periculum | December 28, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | December 28, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Putting on my Portis jersey with a chuckle.

Or you could always go to a bar. Maybe you'll find a hot, lonely Skins fan rockin the pink Cooley jersey (mixed feelings at best on the pink jersey) and can find comfort in one another's arms over a season of what might've been...if that's wrong again who wants to be right.

Unless you're married of course. In that case strike that salacious thought from your mind, dirtbag.

HAIL

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 28, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Notorious,

I checked with my wife and she said I could take Sween's place at the bar.... She said it would mean she could watch the game in "Peace and Quiet" w/out me screaming the "WHAT IF'S" the entire game!!!!!

I'm not sure what she means?

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | December 28, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Bucs just tied it at 14.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 28, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Good memory:

Beating Dallas in Texas Stadium one last time. The closeup shot of Jerry Jones' face after Sam Hurd muffed the onside kick. Jerry was trying to wince in disappointment, but all the Botox meant his face didn't move much...

Posted by: p1funk | December 28, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Notorious,

I'm not sure what she means?

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | December 28, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

LOL!!! Tell her, stop mincing words honey!!!

Off to Chipotle and then to buddy's for the game...HAIL!!!

I expect a good performance all around

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 28, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Is the Post covering today's game? Usually we have the inactives by now. Let me guess. Malcolm Kelly? Jon Jansen? Marcus Washington? Shawn Springs?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 28, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

My reflective moment was when the Skins
lost to the Steelers, we had our chances
to get point on the board in the 1st half.
Its all about ball placement to the
the recievers, Campbell was off the mark
all night. That's what sticks out the most.
It was a pivotal game.

Posted by: madalao | December 28, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Article on college football coaches:

Posted by: dboog | December 28, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse