Afternoon Update (couldn't come up with anything better; pretty weak, I know)

Early reaction to the Redskins unusual quarterback rotation:

Jason Campbell seemed pretty excited by the prospect of actually playing football this season, and took his "long-term" backup role as a major sign of faith. Todd Collins says he was "surprised," by the unconventional decision, and seemed a bit confused about how all of this might play out, but at least a semi-hopeful that should he get in a game and perform well, he might still got a shot at his first start since 1997. As for Al Saunders, he seems on board with everything, praised Campbell's progress in the latter stages of training camp, and, like Gibbs, said all you can really bank on is one week at a time, and entering Monday's opener, Collins in the guy behind Brunell.

Any changes to this plan based on team performance, injuries, individual performances, etc. would be Gibbs's all the way, Saunders said, and not his. Most importantly, let's not forget the chasm between the big dog - Mark Brunell - and the backups. Unless Brunell gets hurt, I see him keeping the starting job indefinitely, even if his play somehow slipped to 2004 levels. So in the end, this might be much ado about nothing. But, hell, who doesn't love a quarterback controversy, even a nonsensical one.

I don't think there's much of a chance top cornerback Shawn Springs will be able to go Monday night (Springs, Clinton Portis and Renaldo Wynn all missed practice today).

Springs says he's "a work in progress," but admits it would take significant practice time and progress for him to be ready to play after undergoing abdominal surgery last month. Springs, however, was in good spirits and eager to talk about former Redskins corner Fred Smoot, The Mouth Of The South, who makes his long-awaited return to DannyLand Monday night with the Vikes.

"Tell Silky Johnson (Smoot's nickname) he ain't got nothin' on me,'" Springs said, a nickname with it's roots in, what else, a Dave Chappelle sketch ("The Playa's Ball," if I remember correctly).

Springs went on to reminisce about the days he and Smoot went at each other through every meeting and practice, arguing about who was better at his craft. "Then the next day we'd be like best friends again, and then go at it some more," Springs said. Ah, the memories. Methinks that should Springs find his old buddy along the sidelines before the game, Smoot might end up the target of at least a few "Love Boat" comments ...

How 'bout my boy Dan Steinberg, and his Sports Bog, trying to recruit three of my top posters - Pink CC, P Diddy and Mucus Membrane (in no particular order) - for his new blog? Is nothing sacred? Oh, the seedy side of the blogosphere. Dan will come on strong, like a corrupt street agent at a high hoops game, like one of those corporate sneaker pimps, a Sonny Vacarro trying to get you to chose Adidas over Nike.

Yeah, the Steinblogger will promise you the moon and stars. Whatever it takes to lure you. But after a while you'll see how good you had it over here. You'll long for references to Ratt, malt liquor, Entourage, Chris Cooley's hair,. the English Premier League, and qusi-conversations with the owner of a certain local pro football team ... and you'll be back for good, never to stray again.

No, seriously, there's plenty to go around for everyone. Steinberg is a funny dude and a talented writer with an eye for the obscure. Check him out at blog.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog (I'm so lame on the tech front that I don't know how to post a link), and, by all means, don't forget about my dinky little blog here. The one with no name that is kept hidden in the tiniest crevices of Washingtonpost.com ...

Anyone else psyched about all of the dating ads that seem to have popped up around this blog? Those advertisers know their demographic. We're coveted baby. To paraphrase from a classic thriller, 'Would you date me? I'd date me." ... Skins signed O lineman Todd Wade today and cut Ike Ndukwe. Our special section on the NFL comes out Wednesday, and, to cut this off at the head, you will Ndukwe still on the depth chart and not Wade. It's not my deal. That stuff had to be set in print Monday at midnight, I'm told, so we're stuck with what we had.

By Jason La Canfora  |  September 5, 2006; 2:17 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Who's Up Second?
Next: Quote Of The Season (So Far)

Comments

In theory, I like the Backup QB rotation plan. But what will the Redskins do if Brunell is what Gibbs likes to call "day-to-day." That is, he's neither definitely out nor definitely in for an upcoming game. This scenario seems likely to occur.

If he's not practicing during the week with the hope of being ready for Sunday, who gets the practice reps? If Campbell gets the reps, and Brunell plays, who is the gameday backup?

Posted by: Joe in Raleigh | September 5, 2006 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Todd Wade? Is he any good? Well I guess he can't be any worse then the backups we already have.

Posted by: Rob (DC) | September 5, 2006 3:10 PM | Report abuse

I'm comfortable with the situation. But even more.......who but the Redskins would come up with the 1st ever backup QB Controversay? Collins is a "Saunders' Guy" and Cambell's is a "Gibbs' Guy" and at the end, the HC always rules in decision making. I think he'll give TC one time (if given the opportunity), then if he fouls up, it will be Cambell all the way............

Posted by: A Dog | September 5, 2006 3:22 PM | Report abuse

I would never leave you Jason :-)

Posted by: P Diddy | September 5, 2006 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Any sense about what separates OL Todd Wade (massive, former starter, cut early, leg injuries) from OL Spencer Folau (massive former starter, cut early, leg injuries), who was cut a few days ago?

Posted by: dcsween | September 5, 2006 3:43 PM | Report abuse

all i see is Toyota truck ads....

Posted by: what dating ads? | September 5, 2006 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Hey Folks,

How about some positive energy! There's nothing wrong with believing that the QB situation will work out very well for all. All of the QB's are being placed in a position to succeed. Brunell will stay healthy. Campbell is being given an opportunity to grow properly (it worked for McNair and others) and Collins' strengths are being utilized well.

Much health and successful performance to the Skins!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 5, 2006 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Did we really just pick up a back-up lineman from a team that is notorious for a bad O-line? I think this must just be rookie hazing and they will bring the freshman back...if not...I am going back to playing Madden '07.

Posted by: a timbie | September 5, 2006 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Jason, in case you missed my post from the previous blog topic:

Go ahead and watch my dvd. it's going in a frame up on my wall anyways...

Posted by: Rudy (The barno who wrote "wake me up before you go, Joe") | September 5, 2006 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Why is everybody worried about the whole back-up QB situation....I simply read it for what it is, Gibbs is using his players to the best of their abilities which is what a good coach does.

Collins is plain and simple a back-up QB. He is 34 (I think) and has not started since the '90s. He is a come off the bench, mop it up, execute the remaining game plan cold kinda guy. He knows the offense and he does it well! So if you need those services he is your guy.

Campbell on the other hand is going to be a starting QB some day fairly soon ('07?). He is not quite there so I guess they will have to "coach him up" and put in a specific game plan that works to his strengths, but if you need a starter he is your man and you hope the coaches do their job giving him a plan he can succeed with that plays to his athletic strengths (not one meant for Brunell).

Yes this is Washington and yes this is QB so it is always a big deal...but lets just throw a touch more blind faith at Gibbs that he will use his guys to the best of their skills.

Great Blog Jason!! It keeps us football a-hol-ics attention on something other than work.

Posted by: tink | September 5, 2006 4:51 PM | Report abuse

I was brought in because I can kick off. I'm now also one of the #2 backup QBs.

Posted by: Todd Wade | September 5, 2006 5:02 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins entire season rests on the arm of a very old, fragile QB - no matter who the back-up is. What they need is another coach.

Posted by: Do Gooder | September 5, 2006 5:19 PM | Report abuse

>>> "What they need is another coach."

Wow. I can't even fathom how to respond to this. Is this directed at St. Joe?

Posted by: P Diddy | September 5, 2006 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Shapiro thinks they're going 7-9. I can understand why some prognosticators have little faith, but it seems silly to give up on this team before Game 1 has been played. Plus, they need to do well so I can have bragging rights around Mr. Bob Levey.

Posted by: Colin | September 5, 2006 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Okay, Barno first - do you want him to autograph it to Barno, or to Rudy? If you're going to frame it, guess he should make sure he signs the outside of the box. I'll give Chris explicit directions.

This Wade character has like 50 starts and is a massive dude; guess sometimes the big guy you don't know is better than the one you have (Folau). Gibbs says they tried to sign him in the past and have had their eye on him.

I checked on Ortega. The Skins essentially chose ot keep Manuel White on the practice squad over him from what I gather. They felt like Buck had a chance to have a better shot to play somewhere else. His blocking needed work.

P Diddy, thanks for sticking with ... even if the allegations of this blog going big time, getting some luv and becoming easier to find are false. My guess is its called "Training Camp Insider" all year. Then again, what's better than the preseason, eh?

Todd Wade, welcome to town. Look forward to seeing you kickoff in practice Thursday. Can you throw the deep fade?

Posted by: Jason La Canfora | September 5, 2006 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the Springs update... Are Betts, Cartwright and Duckett all getting along? This might be old news, but I can understand the "slap in the face" comment. Rock has been a valuable back and deserves to see time on the field.

National media has been down on the Redskins. Before pre-season they were up there with the Panthers and the Seahawks to be NFC favorites. Now they aren't even going to be a .500 team? The Danskins definately came on late and over-achieved at the end of last season, but how are the Cowboys all of a sudden the team to beat? Oh Monday night, come soon!

Posted by: Dorf | September 5, 2006 8:07 PM | Report abuse

So, I read that Springs is a long shot. I know Rogers is starting but is it going to be Kenny Wright or Mike Rumph as the other corner?

Posted by: calebt17 | September 5, 2006 8:59 PM | Report abuse

KAKA!

Thank you for the link to find Steinblogger-I've been searching for it tonite...off to find him now...

No worries "Pink C.C." will be true to your blog haus., but "Wise Girls" will be at it again Post-OLY. now, in Steinblogger's latest newest mess haus.-ha!

Posted by: Pink C.C.- | September 6, 2006 12:13 AM | Report abuse

It was the "Haters Ball." "The Playas Ball" is a song by OutKast.

Posted by: Doug | September 6, 2006 12:53 AM | Report abuse

Actually it was the "Playa Hate-a's Ball"

Posted by: JT | September 6, 2006 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Shapiro also picked them to go anywhere from 6-10 to 8-8 last year, so I wouldn't put a lot of faith in his predictions. Nobody knows how the year will play out anyway. Injuries and other factors play huge roles in how teams finish.

Posted by: CY | September 6, 2006 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Where's Jason with the latest news!?!?

Posted by: Rob | September 6, 2006 1:28 PM | Report abuse

I accidentally posted this question on Mark Maske's blog and called him Jason. I guess that's karma for laughing at everyone who called you Howard in your last chat. Oh well...

ESPN Insider columnist Will Carroll reported this yesterday (9/5/06): "Who else drafted Clinton Portis early? Good, I like to see smart people get rewarded. Portis will get the bulk of carries in Week 1."

Thoughts?

Posted by: Bucktown Skins Fan | September 6, 2006 1:46 PM | Report abuse

I personally would prefer that Portis sit out this game and rest his shoulder. It's gonna be a tough game but I think the Skins should be able to beat the Vikings without him.

Posted by: Rob | September 6, 2006 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Rob, I agree 100%. Screw the fantasy game (I've got him on two teams) and screw individual season stat records.

All I want is my team healthy and still playing football in February.

Jason, where ya at man? Your masses are getting antsy... ha ha

Posted by: Bucktown Skins Fan | September 6, 2006 2:26 PM | Report abuse

J-

have him sign it to Rudy, thanks.

Posted by: Barno | September 6, 2006 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Hey everyone. I posted two entires today but I guess neither one made it up. Must be more technical issues with the blog. I can't even get them to change the name to something that makes sense - training camp is over - or find a way to make the blog accessible, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
As for Portis, I think if he practices tomorrow he's a go, and if not, I doubt it. Either way I think he will be spelled quite a bit by Betts. The guys hasn't practiced in over a month and will need time to get his legs under him, if nothing else.
I'd be stunned if Springs plays - doubtful for Dallas, too, I would guess - and Wright is the guy behind him.

I'll get more stuff posted Wed. and try to figure out what was going on today. Thanks.

Posted by: Jason La Canfora | September 6, 2006 5:19 PM | Report abuse

and Jason, what about the Nick Novak updates....??? My crystal ball says we do need to keep this guy on the screen.

Posted by: gordo | September 6, 2006 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Page 2 stole your story Jason. "Meet Madden's Mr. Irrelevant By Patrick Hruby

Good interview with Albright, Hruby must have had his eye on your "training camp Insider" blog. More notoriety for you. Good thing that stuff doesn't go to your head.

Posted by: Dorf | September 6, 2006 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Jason, the blog is now called "Redskins Insider" so apparently someone is listening. It is hard to find the blog, though. Isn't listed in the Columns and Blogs section. Hopefully, it'll all get fixed. As an ex-Ashburn resident and current Redskin fan transplanted to New Mexico, I'm an avid reader as it keeps me in touch with the 'Skins. All Dallas and Denver out here... :(

Posted by: NewMex | September 6, 2006 11:30 PM | Report abuse