Posted at 1:53 PM ET, 02/12/2011

Albert Haynesworth formally charged with assault

By Mike Jones

Washington Redskins defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth was formally charged with assault in conjunction with the alleged road rage altercation he had with a fellow driver on Feb. 2.

Haynesworth, 29, appeared with his attorney at the Reston District Police station around 10 a.m. today, according to the Fairfax County Police Department's Information Office. He was interviewed by officers and signed what is called a releasable warrant. Haynesworth then was free to leave. He will appear in Fairfax County Criminal Court at 9:30 a.m. on March 31.

By Mike Jones  | February 12, 2011; 1:53 PM ET
Categories:  Albert Haynesworth
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Shaun Rogers meets with Redskins, signing is not imminent
Next: Redskins' Brandon Banks treated for injuries following stabbing incident in D.C.

Comments

Glad no comments on Albert, or am I wrong?

Posted by: abxinc | February 12, 2011 2:08 PM | Report abuse

I can't wait till this fat POS is gone. Hope we can get something for him. Maybe Philthy will give us our 2 back.

Posted by: wireman65 | February 12, 2011 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Wonder if there's a clause in his contract lowering his pay and/or requiring him to return bonus money if convicted of a felony or settling out of court for such an offense. Ah who cares, Danny deserves the cost of this idiot.

Posted by: Oogalaboogala | February 12, 2011 2:18 PM | Report abuse

So let's update the parasite list:

1. Ex wife and child support
2. Paralized accident victim
3. Stripper
4. Lawyers
5. Road rage assault victim

Posted by: ChinaLake | February 12, 2011 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Aw shee-it, he just punched the dude. It's not like he stomped on his head or something.

Big Al Haynesworth is a selfless person and peerless professional who passed his fitness test. Whether it's Shanahan, Andre Gurode, or Fairfax County Police, "poor" Big Al just can't catch a break.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | February 12, 2011 2:45 PM | Report abuse

6. Made Dan Snyder and Vinnie Cerrato look bad

Posted by: beep-beep | February 12, 2011 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Just pooped my pants.

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | February 12, 2011 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone been keeping a blacklist of people who supported Haynesworth on RI last summer? Cuz there were some people here who were on his side and felt the Shanny's were the problem.

I wonder what AH's previous supporters have to say about the fat lowlife now?

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | February 12, 2011 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | February 12, 2011 2:45 PM

He didn't hit him. As sween explained, that would have been assault and battery. Assault is "an intentional act by one person that creates an apprehension in another of an imminent harmful or offensive contact"

Posted by: beep-beep | February 12, 2011 2:50 PM | Report abuse

6. Made Dan Snyder and Vinnie Cerrato look bad

Posted by: beep-beep | February 12, 2011 2:47 PM |

Actually there is more than one parasite list around. While AH is the host for his own list, he is one of the major suckers on DS parasite list.

Posted by: ChinaLake | February 12, 2011 2:50 PM | Report abuse

"Haynesworth, 29, appeared with his attorney at the Reston District Police station around 10 a.m. today..."

Was he in shape when he reported?

Posted by: Oogalaboogala | February 12, 2011 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep |

He hit the driver as far as I am aware (ie previous RI articles). So that is assault and battery, the specific charge is call simple assault. The assault you are talking about (I think) is the tort assault (a civil matter) which is a civil matter.

But I aint a lawyer and have done no research so I digress...

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | February 12, 2011 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | February 12, 2011 2:50 PM |

Good lawyer words. The dude did check himself into a hospital with facial injuries. Maybe his head was in the way when AH closed the door of his vehicle.

Posted by: ChinaLake | February 12, 2011 2:56 PM | Report abuse

I'll admit I gave him the benefit of the "doubt" till he proved he was who he is. I jumped off the fatwagon when he tried to dictate when and where he would play. There were some posters who claimed recently that MS's "ego" was monkey wrenching our "best" player. Haven't heard a lot of that sentiment of late.

Posted by: wireman65 | February 12, 2011 2:56 PM | Report abuse

he signed a "releasable warrant"? is this some sort of exotic new financial instrument invented on Wall Street?

Posted by: Oogalaboogala | February 12, 2011 2:57 PM | Report abuse

But I aint a lawyer ...

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | February 12, 2011 2:56 PM |

Would never have guessed.

Posted by: ChinaLake | February 12, 2011 2:58 PM | Report abuse

But I aint a lawyer ...

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | February 12, 2011 2:56 PM |

Would never have guessed.

Posted by: ChinaLake

Explain urself

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | February 12, 2011 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Hey monkey mayo put on me that list i still support AH... pro bowl for him next season if there is one,mark it down yea i said it.

Posted by: rdbdaddy | February 12, 2011 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Explain urself

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | February 12, 2011 3:01 PM |

Actually if you had said "I ain't no lawyer ..." then I really would have never guessed because two negatives cancel, which would have meant you was a lawyer, which would have been astounding given how good your grammer is.

Posted by: ChinaLake | February 12, 2011 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Monkey--

I cannot find anything on the web that says he hit the other driver, although I have never found any specifics about what did occur. However, he hasn't been charged with battery, so I don't see any reason to assume that he did hit the guy. Here's the distinction between assault and assault and battery on website:

"To get even more specific, an assault under common law is separate from a battery. An assault is the apprehension of a harmful or offensive contact. Thus, even if you did not actually make contact with the individual, if you intended to make contact, you could be found guilty of assault. A battery is the actual harmful or offensive contact."

Posted by: beep-beep | February 12, 2011 3:12 PM | Report abuse

If Brandon Banks had gone to the club with AH, Banks wouldn't have gotten hurt.

Posted by: beep-beep | February 12, 2011 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | February 12, 2011 3:12 PM |

I guess this means that if you have a baseball bat in your hand and you are moving towards someone that you can be charged with assault. If you reach the person and whack him with the bat then you can be charged with assault and battery. Maybe even assault and baseball battery. In this case apparently no physical contact was made. If AH kicked in a door then that would be evidence of intent to batter. But if he shook his fist at the guy then it's his word against his word. Lots of luck with that.

Posted by: ChinaLake | February 12, 2011 3:33 PM | Report abuse

So let's update the parasite list:

1. Ex wife and child support
2. Paralized accident victim
3. Stripper
4. Lawyers
5. Road rage assault victim

Posted by: ChinaLake | February 12, 2011 2:42 PM
------------------------------------------
We'll ignore the whole stomping on a player's throat "accident". Can't you see this guy is just being persecuted and deep, deep inside he is really a good guy?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 12, 2011 3:33 PM | Report abuse

If Brandon Banks had gone to the club with AH, Banks wouldn't have gotten hurt.

Posted by: beep-beep | February 12, 2011 3:22 PM |

He could have hid behind one of AH's legs and they never would have found him.

Posted by: ChinaLake | February 12, 2011 3:35 PM | Report abuse

I really don't care what happens to Haynesworth, he brings most of that on himself.

But stabbing Brandon Banks? I'm mad about that.

I'll take a guess and say it was a Cowboys fan, who was at the time rocking a 2 sizes too large Yankees fitted cap.

You don't stab Banksy.

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 12, 2011 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Albert charged with assault, his latest fun and frolic. Banks out of the hospital after an after-hours stabbing....

Remember the good old days when we used to laugh at the cowboys issues with the law?

Posted by: TheCork | February 12, 2011 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Give him the chair!!!

Posted by: bosshog7169 | February 12, 2011 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 12, 2011 3:33 PM |

There are parasites with their hooks in AH but he himself is a parasite and has a big hook in DS. It's like there is only one free-standing fish in the ocean, the Skins fans, and there are parasites like DS sucking their blood and there are parasites like AH sucking DS blood and there are parasites like the "assault victim" sucking AH blood. It's just one big bloody mess.

Posted by: ChinaLake | February 12, 2011 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Give him the chair!!!

Posted by: bosshog7169
__________

Is that really punishment for a guy that likes to sit on his azz?

Posted by: Oogalaboogala | February 12, 2011 3:52 PM | Report abuse

I wonder what AH's previous supporters have to say about the fat lowlife now?

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | February 12, 2011 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Let's define "supporter".

I was a "supporter" of figuring out how to utilize his talents on the football field to help us win games while he was part of our roster and cashing a paycheck.

No one, I recall, was a "supporter" of his attitude, work ethic or personal life.

If they could talk, I'm sure that his old athletic "supporters" would agree that AH is fat and a low-life.

Posted by: p1funk | February 12, 2011 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | February 12, 2011 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Now we laugh at the Cowboys' issues with their stadium facilities.

If something isn't toppling in a stiff wind and paralyzing someone, then they're selling tix to seats that don't exist.

Go figure.

Posted by: p1funk | February 12, 2011 3:56 PM | Report abuse

But stabbing Brandon Banks? I'm mad about that.

You don't stab Banksy.

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 12, 2011 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Yo dawg that was me, dont be hatin on my teams. I'm a hardcore Yankees fan yo cuz my fams went to Niagara falls when I was a kid so I love New York. Have I ever been to Dallas? no, but I drove past a farm once. I just like their swagger yo and they got real pretty uniforms. I flew over Texas once. Basically I'm sayin I just have been a spineless sheep since I was reall young and I was never able to think for myself and the concept of loyalty and integrity is completely foreign to me. I just chose dem boys and dem yanks because, as pure human garbage, I was instantly drawn to them. I resent Banks because he is so small that he has to try extra hard to achieve his goals. Effort is for losers. Dallas fo life son, word.

Posted by: bosshog7169 | February 12, 2011 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Give him the chair!!!

Posted by: bosshog7169
__________

Is that really punishment for a guy that likes to sit on his azz?

Posted by: Oogalaboogala | February 12, 2011 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Great point. On the other hand he is well known for playing dead, so maybe he wouldn't mind taking a real crack at it.

Posted by: bosshog7169 | February 12, 2011 4:00 PM | Report abuse

beep-

Velazques said Haynesworth came to the driver's side window of his car, and after Velazques lowered his window, Haynesworth said to him twice, "You're not so tough now," and then punched him in the side of his nose.

Velazques said he was treated at a local hospital, where it was determined he suffered a contusion to his nose but it was not broken.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 12, 2011 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Now we laugh at the Cowboys' issues with their stadium facilities.

Go figure.

Posted by: p1funk | February 12, 2011 3:56 PM |

1. You forgot to mention the deadly icicles
hanging from the roof of the stadium that nearly iced some peeps the week of the SB.

2. You forgot to mention the video board being hit by punts.

3. It was the practice facility that toppled in the stiff wind, completely separate from the stadium.

Posted by: ChinaLake | February 12, 2011 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 12, 2011 4:03 PM |

Getting punched in the schnozz sounds like battery to me. If the hospital visit checks out then not charging AH with battery is tantamount to not giving any credence to the other dude's version of events.

Posted by: ChinaLake | February 12, 2011 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for that, Diesel. Sounds like assault and battery, not simple assault.

Posted by: beep-beep | February 12, 2011 4:25 PM | Report abuse

The little benefit of the doubt Haynesworth got from the Bears game all wnt out the window when his fat ass quit against the Eagles.

Posted by: rickyroge | February 12, 2011 4:33 PM | Report abuse

I wonder what AH's previous supporters have to say about the fat lowlife now?

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | February 12, 2011 2:49 PM | Report abuse

I had Albert's back last summer. I felt like they were better with him on the field than without him.

Crow is delicious this time of year.

Posted by: Original_etrod | February 12, 2011 4:37 PM | Report abuse

The little punk gave Fat Al the middle finger during road rage, so he deserved what he got and Al's got plenty of Danny money so he can pay the little prick off. Bet over half of you in here would stick your face in Fat Al fist just to get some of that Danny money!

Posted by: TKing1 | February 12, 2011 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Which would PR nightmare would you rather have:

A) Mark Sanchez bangin' 17 year olds
B) Brandon Banks getting stabbed at a nightclub
C) Ben Roethisberger rapin' chicks in the bathroom at bars
D) Albert Bellysworth punchin' a motorist in the nose
E) Antonio Cromartie can't name all his kids...

Posted by: rickyroge | February 12, 2011 4:48 PM | Report abuse

I wonder what AH's previous supporters have to say about the fat lowlife now?

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | February 12, 2011 2:49 PM | Report abuse

I never endorsed AH's character, but I remain a proponent of making him earn his $21M on the field. If he's not going to get in the games, get him off the roster.

Posted by: Alan4 | February 12, 2011 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rickyroge | February 12, 2011 4:48 PM |

B-D have been well publicized on ESPN. I have not seen A on ESPN but did hear something about it on a sports talk show so don't know if it is a nightmare. As for E, it is a common albeit unfortunate staple of the entitled professional athlete that I don't think even Grandma would raise an eyebrow over. He may not know their names but at least they are better off than most kids of their ilk.

Posted by: JumboJimbo | February 12, 2011 5:25 PM | Report abuse

WHAT DAA FRIGIDY FRACK? WHEN DID WE GET A NEW INSIDER UP HERE?

Don't know mj from MJ but as long as it's not that overpaid completely drawing a blank up here...but you know what I'm trying to say.

Welcome mj!

Posted by: dealer1 | February 12, 2011 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Oogalaboogala | February 12, 2011 2:18 PM | Report abuse

I wondered the same thing.

Posted by: nrjlh | February 12, 2011 5:54 PM | Report abuse

So let's update the parasite list:

1. Ex wife and child support
2. Paralized accident victim
3. Stripper
4. Lawyers
5. Road rage assault victim

Posted by: ChinaLake | February 12, 2011 2:42 PM | Report abuse

You left out:
7. Stomping on an opposing player's head with his cleats
8. Insubordination and generally being a lousy teammate
9. Taking a nap on the field during a game

Posted by: nrjlh | February 12, 2011 5:57 PM | Report abuse

why couldn't fat slob Haynesworth be the guy to get stabbed?

Posted by: ToddStinkston | February 12, 2011 6:16 PM | Report abuse

why couldn't fat slob Haynesworth be the guy to get stabbed?

Posted by: ToddStinkston | February 12, 2011 6:16 PM

That's not his style. Haynesworth is the aggressor. He's the type to stab, not to be stabbed.

Posted by: beep-beep | February 12, 2011 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Albert Hanyesworth's 'Honey-Do' List:

--call lawyer about NFL suspension

--call lawyer about loan not repaid

--call lawyer about the guy who double checks what the lawyers do

--call lawyer about paternity issue

--call lawyer about road rage incident

--kill all the lawyers

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 12, 2011 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44
__________

Dude must have one helluva Jimmy Durante schnozz to only have the side of it touched when one of Haynie's meathooks hit him. Fat Al's fist was probably bigger than the guy's head.

Posted by: Oogalaboogala | February 12, 2011 6:46 PM | Report abuse

What's so sad about the AH situation?:

Let's say the AH was a serious player and the skins decide to add S Rogers.

Carriker-Roger-Haynesworth is a nice, pressuring and the team could get by with Bryant, rookie, Holliday, rookie, and Jarmon as defensive linemen.

(Yes: I'm releasing Kemo, Golston, Daniels)

But with Haynesworth being such an failed player, that possiblility--a fine one- can't come into fruition.

And that--not of the off the field trifling stuff--is what's so bad about the AH situation.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 12, 2011 6:47 PM | Report abuse

why couldn't fat slob Haynesworth be the guy to get stabbed?

Posted by: ToddStinkston
____________

It'd have roughly the same effect on Al as a blue whale being stabbed with a pen knife. He probably wouldn't even notice, assuming it's just another pine splinter.

Posted by: Oogalaboogala | February 12, 2011 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Wow...not a good day for Redskins news.

It hasn't even been 5 years since the Sean Taylor tragedy and we've got another of our guys getting shanked. Glad to see Banks isn't hurt too bad and I hope his friend pulls through as well.

As for AH...well, it's AH. The sooner he's gone, the better.

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 12, 2011 6:54 PM | Report abuse

"Wonder if there's a clause in his contract lowering his pay and/or requiring him to return bonus money if convicted of a felony or settling out of court for such an offense."Posted by: Oogalaboogala

Pretty sure not. Albert would already have killed any lawyer who advised him to agree to it.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 12, 2011 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Not much use pining for what might have been -- Albert took the money and did the next best thing to running away with it. A big bad mistake on Danny's part, hopefully the last one that impacts the team's on-field performance. Now he can confine himself to suing reporters from free newspapers that nobody reads.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 12, 2011 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151
___________

Which I guess puts Haynie way ahead of Lavar in IQ...

Posted by: Oogalaboogala | February 12, 2011 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TKing1 |

You first.

Posted by: TheCork | February 12, 2011 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Which would PR nightmare would you rather have:

A) Mark Sanchez bangin' 17 year olds
B) Brandon Banks getting stabbed at a nightclub
C) Ben Roethisberger rapin' chicks in the bathroom at bars
D) Albert Bellysworth punchin' a motorist in the nose
E) Antonio Cromartie can't name all his kids...

Posted by: rickyroge

And when we're finished, let's all try to guess who is the tallest of the Seven Dwarfs.

Posted by: TheCork | February 12, 2011 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | February 12, 2011 7:26 PM

Easy. That's not Sleepy, Grumpy, Doc, Lazy, Ugly, nor Blinky. It's Stilts.

Posted by: beep-beep | February 12, 2011 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Everybody's posting on the next thread. Which used to be the previous thread.

beep-beep

Posted by: beep-beep | February 12, 2011 7:39 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for that, Diesel. Sounds like assault and battery, not simple assault.

Posted by: beep-beep

Seems to me--also a non-lawyer--that the DA doesn't have evidence for battery. If he had something I'd think he might want to put it on the table as a bargaining chip. I'm assuming he can add a charge later?

Maybe it's a case of a bird in the hand...

Posted by: TheCork | February 12, 2011 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Under the threat of a paltry fine, Albert has no trouble reporting to a police station or county courthouse.

For $32,000,000.00, he couldn't roll out of bed for team meetings, workouts, and training camp.

Posted by: clandestinetomcat | February 12, 2011 8:41 PM | Report abuse

When will they formally charge him with theft? He sure did steal Dan Snyders Money!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | February 12, 2011 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Fat Albert's day started with turning himself in this morning in Reston at 10am. Then eating some lunch then heading to Tyson for some shopping at Lids with a very nice lady friend. Spending some of that cash money dumb (dan) and dumber (vinny) gave him... oh and he didn't look happy or does he ever...

Posted by: terp971 | February 12, 2011 11:16 PM | Report abuse

"Just pooped my pants.
Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P"

I know your pal McFail just said he wouldn't go that high for Pujols but the Nats just might ... hahahahahahahaahah

Posted by: periculum | February 13, 2011 1:11 AM | Report abuse

THE ASSAULT CHARGE MEANS WE WILL GET NOTHING IN A TRADE.
I`LL BET ALBERT HAS HIS LAWYER NUMBER 1 ON HIS SPEED DIAL..ANY TAKERS?

Posted by: blazerguy234 | February 13, 2011 7:28 AM | Report abuse

I pray that Haynesworth can put all this ugliness behind him and concentrate on helping the Redskins make a run at the Superbowl next season.

Between him, McNabb and Portis, I don't see the Redskins losing a game until they have home field advantage through the playoffs wrapped up.

Posted by: RalphZero | February 13, 2011 8:28 AM | Report abuse

I was assaulted by him when he signed his deal....I mean insulted by him.

Posted by: tifoso1 | February 13, 2011 9:17 AM | Report abuse

If Shanny had still been running Fat Albert, this never would have happened. So it's the egomaniacal coach's fault.

Posted by: trebor0012 | February 13, 2011 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Feinstein: This is another racial charge, probably initiated by Shanahan.

Intelligent fans: It is the midget Snyder's fault.

Brotherly love: How do you know that was Albert? It was dark. Once again the establishment stiking it to the man.

Posted by: isthatallthereis | February 13, 2011 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Oh my, another THUG charged!
Perhaps Hayneworthless can spend some time behind bars convincing all his other thug buddies how great a football player he was.
They ain't knoowd for maintaining MENSA Memberships.

RalphZero's comment proves only one thing, he is personally consuming at least 93.45% of all the KoolAid in the United States, and,
"Ah, you can balee dat!"

Posted by: burro2 | February 13, 2011 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Wonder if his contract is written to award bonuses for actually going after someone!!!

Posted by: wagenstill | February 14, 2011 12:49 PM | Report abuse

What would have been awesomely hilarious to hear would have been when the magistrate asked, "Mr. Hanesworth, do you plead guilty or not guilty", and he looked at his attorney and said, "When is lunch?"

Posted by: burro2 | February 14, 2011 7:06 PM | Report abuse