Posted at 1:00 PM ET, 12/ 8/2010

Albert Haynesworth could have been a Buc

By Barry Svrluga

Had things broken a bit differently - say, had the Redskins offered a few million dollars less in guaranteed money or waited a few more hours - Albert Haynesworth might have signed with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers 20 months ago.

"Big physical presence that gets off the ball and is able to cause disruption," Bucs Coach Raheem Morris said Wednesday in a conference call with Washington reporters. "When he plays, he certainly does that. I'm not sure what happened up there, but ... it's none of my business. But he's an extremely talented player that we had coveted in the free agent market, and [the Redskins] were fortunate enough to get him."

Last year, before the Redskins played Tampa Bay in Week 4, Haynesworth spoke about the attraction of playing for the Buccaneers.

"To be honest, Tampa was probably my first choice," Haynesworth said on a conference call with Tampa-area reporters on Sept. 30, 2009. "The thing about Tampa: I love water, I love boats. I like the sun. If I would have gone to Tampa, then it would have been too much of a mix."

The Redskins' pursuit of Haynesworth - led by owner Daniel M. Snyder and then-executive vice president of football operations Vinny Cerrato - was aggressive in the hours immediately after the opening of free agency. They offered Haynesworth a deal that guaranteed him $41 million. Haynesworth, though, said the Bucs were right there.

"They really came after me hard in the few hours they had," Haynesworth said. "Actually, after I told the Redskins I was going to come to them, they made like the strongest stand. They even offered more than the Redskins. But I told them I was coming here. They were going to spend some money, and a lot of it. But I chose the Redskins."

That, of course, resulted in Haynesworth's controversial tenure with Washington, which culminated in his suspension for the remainder of the season on Tuesday for what the club said was conduct detrimental to the team. Sunday's game against the Buccaneers will be the Redskins' first since the suspension - and the Bucs, who are 7-5 and in the NFC playoff race, have taken notice.

"Obviously, a player like Albert Haynesworth is somebody that's always going to be in the back of your mind," Tampa quarterback Josh Freeman said. "I can tell you our rookie O-linemen are probably sleeping a little better knowing he's not going to be playing."

Morris said that, despite the fact Haynesworth had been reduced to a role player for the Redskins, he stood out on tape.

"He's always a presence you got to account for," Morris said. "He's a big man that can make a play on every snap. He's a guy that when you watch on tape, he's talented. He's impactful. He does all the things that you ask a premier defensive lineman to do. I don't think you'll ever change that until he can't do it any more."

By Barry Svrluga  | December 8, 2010; 1:00 PM ET
Categories:  Albert Haynesworth
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Haynesworth-Shanahan feud didn't derail the season, players say
Next: Sean McVay replaces Jon Embree as tight ends coach

Comments

PART I

My Final Column at the Washington Post
By Michael Wilbarn

This is the first column I ever dreaded writing (all the other ones came so naturally to me). The only time I can recall experiencing that thing known as writer's block (because again, this all comes so naturally to me). It's my last column for The Washington Post, 20-some years after my first one and 311/2 years after I walked in the door as a summer intern (oops! '311'..a typo in the first paragraph of my last ever column). It's not Shirley Povich's 75 years (no, it's not) but I hung around long enough to think it might last forever.

Sadly and of my own doing (just so you know...the Post didn't break up with me, I broke up with her) I've come to that part in the program where it's time to say goodbye (this is a very historic day, permit me to be a little melodramatic) where I need to tell readers, editors, colleagues, even some of the people I've covered over the years just how enormously grateful I am for their helping me have the greatest adventure imaginable (My job is so much more awesome than your job).

It never dawned on me I'd wind up covering nine Olympic Games for The Post, or more than 20 Super Bowls, more than 20 Final Fours, more than 20 NBA Finals (did I mention that my job is just so much more awesome than your job?) or more importantly evolve to the point where the editors of this newspaper would trust me to lead the daily discussion (yes, I am a born leader) about the news of the day and the changing cultural landscape as it all related to sports.

I never woke up a single day in those 30 years hesitant to go to work, whether I was reporting on something as surprising as...historically significant as John Thompson navigating a Georgetown basketball program through the hostility of a sports world not yet comfortable with a black coach (you didn't seriously think I was going to write my final column without needlessly bringing race into the discussion)...as personally rewarding as being front and center to see David Robinson and Grant Hill and Byron Leftwich grow from boys to men (yeah, I knew them before they were stars).

There's no "favorite" or "best" interview, no "greatest" game because there were simply too many, thousands of each, over the years (I know I mentioned this already, but my job is just so much more awesome than yours). But there is a favorite moment: Aboriginal hero Cathy Freeman winning track and field gold in the Sydney Olympics in 2000 (yep, my favorite sports moment is pretty obscure, something you've likely never even heard of) leaving me to write through tears the only time in my career (it was so tough for me to write through those tears).

To be continued...

Posted by: Barno1 | December 8, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

PART II: WILBON'S LAST COLUMN

There is a biggest influence outside the profession: Coach John Thompson, whose 2 a.m. return phone calls would often begin with, "You want to sleep or you want a scoop?" (Famous coaches have my number on speed-dial) and evolve into 90-minute conversations that usually had nothing to do with the Hoyas but everything to do with what was right or wrong with the world (white people).

I can only hope, as I leave for my own personal gain (I'm rich biatch!) with a full-time career with ESPN (and I'm famous!), that the men who shepherded my career don't regret granting all those opportunities over the years. So many of us used The Post sports department (when I say "used" I mean it) as a launching pad to fame and in some cases (my case) fortune. Long before ESPN unleashed "Pardon the Interruption" on the world (yes, I just used the word "unleashed" to describe the moment my tv show started), Tony Kornheiser and I did pretty much the same thing on the fifth floor of the newsroom (I didn't start becoming a jackass in 2001, it was way earlier).

Few newspapers had the means or the interest in sending a young columnist to Shoal Creek, Alabama, for several days to write about the difference between an exclusive country club and the local municipal track where the descendants of slaves and slave owners found themselves, willingly, to play in the same foursome (Yeah I found a way to insert slavery into a sports column).

I don't recall ever being told "no" if I wanted to write about something, even when it had little to do with sports (I always get my way, no one ever tells me no). Probably my favorite enterprise assignment, one I viewed skeptically in the beginning, was going with Dave Sheinin to Los Angeles during the riots in the aftermath of the Rodney King drama in 1992 to try to find out whether there was any correlation between the decrease in funding for community programs related to sports and recreation and the increase in gang-related activity in the city (I drew my conclusions first, and THEN I researched the issue, to try to back up my preconceived beliefs).

Oh, yes there was a correlation (I knew it all along!). Kids who wanted to be running backs, center fielders, sweepers and shooting guards had become, largely through civic neglect, gang leaders (it's not the gang members fault for becoming murderers and rapists, it's the white people who didn't build them basketball courts). There was nothing quite like being invited one night to the Hollywood Hills home of the one and only Jim Brown (Jim Brown, like most famous people, knows who I am) to join members of the Crips and Bloods (I still keep it real) who had accepted his invitation...

Posted by: Barno1 | December 8, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

To be continued...

Posted by: Barno1 | December 8, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

WHY?

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | December 8, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

PART III WILBON'S LAST COLUMN

Don't get me wrong; I loved covering some of the greatest events of the end of the 20th century, like the game where Cal Ripken broke Lou Gehrig's streak for consecutive games played (have I mentioned yet that my job is just a million times cooler than your job?). But the stories like the one in Los Angeles were the ones that separated The Washington Post from 99 percent of daily newspapers, and those issues were the ones that began to reshape the discussion of sports in America, the ones that led people to look to columnists essentially as discussion leaders (And have I mentioned yet that I'm a discussion "leader"?). The complex stories, the ones that made people examine their own values and beliefs (my columns made you think) were so far removed from box scores and game analysis (columnists like me have much more important jobs than lowly beat reporters), but they now drive viewership and readership (you people don't open up the sports page for the box scores, you open it to read my columns).

My very first "audition" column came before that in 1988 and was about Jimmy "The Greek" (you must be shocked that my first column was about a racial issue) and some controversial remarks he'd made after lunch in downtown D.C. (at Duke Zeibert's for those of you of a certain age) that got him fired and truly kicked off the discussion of language, stereotypes and race in sports.

(In that column, my thesis was this: "If you buy into the theory that blacks are in some way physically superior, you leave open the door for those who propose that white athletes are smarter or work harder." Yes, that's right...White Men actually CAN jump. And black men do not have any advantage whatsoever in terms of speed or jumping ability. And it's just a coincidence that all the track stars are black. And if you think differently, you're probably a KKK member).

Sally Jenkins, Tracee Hamilton, Mike Wise and Boswell will write, as they always do, with such passion and insight and grace (but not John Feinstein, at least not after he said some mean things about me last year) that many of you might not have noticed for months I was gone (but at some point, you'll notice I am gone, because well, I'm kind of a big deal around here).

Still, knowing that I'll no longer have those kinds of discussions in this newspaper, from the frivolous to the serious, will be far more traumatic to me, I suspect, than to you (but mind you, it WILL be at least a little traumatic to you that I'm leaving).

The past 20 years, I've had the best job in America (have I made it clear yet that I have a so much more awesome job than you?).

p.s. So long suckers! I'm rich biatch!

Posted by: Barno1 | December 8, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

smiling, somewhere in baltimore, right now, is the highest paid qb coach in the history of the NFL.

Posted by: onanygivensunday | December 8, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

This is a great post by Svrluga.

So many things said/unsaid and so much to read into.

First, Morris blatantly sticking it to Shanahan by saying the Skins "Were lucky to get him"...Yeah, OK. I'm pretty sure the entire TB organization sighed a sigh of relief that they were not as "lucky".

And props to Albert for openly admitting last year what we all knew: That the game is of NFL football is waaaay down on his list of priorities. Women, water, etc....too "much of a mix"...priceless!

Thanks Barry!

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | December 8, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Thei is a team sport, pab. It's not a democracy. Players play, coaches coach, management manages. PLayers don't get to pick the coach, and don't get to pick what defense is used. They are supposed to show up ready to play, and to play where they are told to play. If they don't do that well, they will be replaced.

Posted by: frediefritz | December 8, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Good point. All those throwing too much grief at Shanahan in this affair, take a look at Carter and the way he has handled his affairs after being switched to a 3-4 OLB for the second time in his career after the first time failed.

And BTW, Carter's has 65.5 sacks and 410 tackles in his career to AH's 30.5 and 241, respectively.

So a player who has accomplished twice what AH has accomplished in just one more season and has already played and failed in a 3-4 defense handles himself with utmost professionalism despite some legit concerns.

That's where the bar is set, IMO, and AH is sorely lacking.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | December 8, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

See, Moe, I told you the rest of the season has been suspended. The only thing anyone in the NFL is talking about is AH. From BTGreg, who reported that Haynie was the only topic on talk radio this am, to RAheem Morris in Tampa, there is no other story left to talk about except AH. So please, no more teasing about there being any football this Sunday.

Posted by: frediefritz | December 8, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

So who were these floozies who were with Haynesworth? Are they paid escorts? Are they party girls who he calls up and then treats to an open tab in exchange for a "happy ending" later? I am blissfully unaware of floozy dynamics.

Posted by: freakzilla | December 8, 2010 1:10 PM

Posted by: freakzilla | December 8, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

I wish he went to Tampa. Actually, the owners should collectively pay Haynesworth's salary because he has single handedly made it relevant that guaranteed money is a bad thing in the NFL, that paying too much is too risky, and there is no such thing as "honoring a contract". Way to go, Albert. I am sure all of your fellow collective bargaining compatriots are just loving your performance.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 8, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

I see the Skins beating the Bucs in a close game.

I think the team will rally around the head coach and play well enough to beat a young warm weather team on a cold day:

Redskins 24

Bucs 17

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 8, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Santa will bring me some of Moe's optimism for Christmas this year.

If we couldn't stop the likes of Kenneth Darby, Brandon Jackson and Toby Gerhart, I don't see us stopping LeGarrette Blount - who pounded a very good Falcons defense last week.

I'm sure that Practice Phil and Vonnie and the rest of the guys will be fired up.

Sadly, this isn't high-school ball and desire only gets you so far in the NFL when your talent/ability level is much lower than the other guys'.

We don;t have the horses to stop a run game...doesn't matter how hard we try.

Weather aside, we lose this one. If we can generate some turnovers it may be a one score game. But I anticipate it will be competitive up until half-time. Then when the Bucs come out with their adjustments, and we have none, the game gets away from us in the 3rd quarter.

TB - 24

Redskins - 10

And then we'll spend next week lamenting the fact that a coach in his rookie-stint with a team of draft picks and young'uns bested our $7mill-per-year Superbowl-Winning Genius and his roster of hand-picked vets and led by pricey-veteran Donovan McNabb.

Posted by: p1funk | December 8, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

leaving us in good bargaining position for Cam or Luck, etc. at 6-10 or thereabouts...

Posted by: frak | December 8, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

This is thinking like we always have, when will it end? Before we get a high profile quarterback, we still need to work on both lines! Also, CB's, another safety, and receivers that actually have a little speed. Then, maybe, we could get a quarterback after all that is done.

Posted by: ddrcoaster | December 8, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Coaster, we need the O and DLines rebuilt before we grab a QB. However, it is ultimately Shanahan's decision. If he is gonna try and trade McNabb this offseason, which is highly unlikely, then I would be for grabbing a QB, but if McNabb is here next year, I would trade down to somewhere around 17 or 18 in the 1st round, gain an extra pick in the 2nd or 3rd, and get Julio Jones WR, then get the top NT and G you can get with the next 2 picks.

Posted by: monk811 | December 8, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

That's where the bar is set, IMO, and AH is sorely lacking.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | December 8, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse
Good get, there, Longballs. That really puts it into perspective.

Posted by: frediefritz | December 8, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Ten Albert posts in 24 hours seems slightly above the norm. Did something happen?

Posted by: PlayAction | December 8, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Sally Jenkins doesn't know a damn thing about the Redskins or football. She lives in New York and ONLY writes when there is something bad happening.

Posted by: edvar |

Except for the fact she's paid for her efforts, she sounds like 95% of the bloggers here on RI. Sweet deal....

Posted by: TheCork | December 8, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

"He does all the things that you ask a premier defensive lineman to do."

Raheem wanted AH to come to Tampa.

Next year, he'll get his wish, and at a discount rate.

Posted by: p1funk | December 8, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

The Bucs? How appropriate. He stole Danny's bucks like a pirate, has the biggest boat on the Tennessee river and has a massive booty.

I only wish we would have cut him so he could be picked up by TB. My suggestion would have been to run a hurry-up offense and run right at him.

Good riddance. Get your fat ass out of here you freaking thief/liar/slack ass.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 8, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Good get, there, Longballs. That really puts it into perspective.

Posted by: frediefritz | December 8, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Still surprises me that people dont know the differnce between a DT and a DE, its hopeless. AH terrible person, but still the best Dlineman on the team.

Posted by: Stu27 | December 8, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

I couod've been a Contenda!

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 8, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Every other coach realizes something about haynesworth that our coach doesnt...HES A BEAST you have to respect him on the field but now were not even going to get to use him so its hurting the team to have him inactive its not hurting Albert he got PAID he gets to get PAID again next yr works out good for him he dont give a damn about shanny neither do i i cant wait till he gets fired cause thats how this is going to end in the future, him being fiiired as my man vinny mac would say Shannahan your Fiiirreeeeeddd.

Posted by: mhudson27 | December 8, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

This has to of crossed Shanahan's mind by now..... "if I just stayed retired, I may of had a chance for the Hall of Fame"
Whereas a coupla losing seasons with the highest payroll in the NFL, he may never get a call from the HOF.

Posted by: onanygivensunday | December 8, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

By Barry Svrluga

Just think how much richer SNYDER would be, and how much better off the team and players would have been without his infantile distractions.

Seriously, DANO should sue VINNIE 'THE BAG-MAN' for convincing him that HAYNESWORTH was a great deal.

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 8, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

That's where the bar is set, IMO, and AH is sorely lacking.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | December 8, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

I agree that Haynesworth has underachieved, and I'm not taking up for him, but you are comparing a DT to a DE, so those stats can be a little misleading. Look at 3 years ago, Haynesworth had 8.5 sacks, which is kinda disappointing for a DE, but is amazing for a DT. That being said, Haynesworth CAN BE a special player when motivated, and if he had stayed healthy and played hard he probably would have come close to doubling those stats. The dude definately has problems, too bad we've now become the 'problem magnet' of the NFL!

Posted by: monk811 | December 8, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

I still think is a combination trap/letdown game for Tampa Bay.

They've got a lot of young players, they lost a heartbreaker last week, and they're playing on the road in cool and rainy conditions against a team that's started off with a tumultuous week and would appear to many to be heading downward.

Posted by: freakzilla | December 8, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Good riddance. Get your fat ass out of here you freaking thief/liar/slack ass.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 8, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Redskins 24

Bucs 17

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 8, 2010 12:35 PM
============================================
TB - 24

Redskins - 10

Posted by: p1funk | December 8, 2010 1:22 PM
============================================

Not having Talib will hurt the Bucs defense. I agree with p1 that the Skins in all likelihood will not be able to stop Blount. Moreover their WR Mike Williams should have his way with any of our CBs. Then who matches up with K Williams. In short the Redskins offense most likely will have to score all lot more than they have. Actually I think they will, but the Skins will fall short because this game is more important to the Bucs than the Skins.

Bucs 31

Skins 24

Posted by: TWISI | December 8, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Good riddance. Get your fat ass out of here you freaking thief/liar/slack ass.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 8, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

TB - 27

Redskins 3

wheels, wheel bearing hub, cv joint, and axles come off.......

U-G-L-Y they wont have no alibi...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 8, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 8, 2010 1:42 PM |

Sorry about that multi-post.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 8, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Alan,

Agree to disagree then. I think, whether I were to believe that Shanny was lying or not, that AH's behavior is pretty up front for all to see. There really isn't much to lie about in this instance.

I also disagree regarding your example of the conditioning test. ALL players were to take the test if they failed to show for at least 50% of the OTA's. AH was the ONLY player to fail to hit this target. Rocky McIntosh and another player (I fail to remember who) were given notice when they were closing to missing the attendence target, and what they would have to do if they missed it (the test). This information came from the team's trainer, who the Redskins put on the podium to explain the reasons for the test and show that the test was not used just to make an example of AH.

In other words, he did what anyone would have done had they attended less than 50% of the OTA's. I suppose you can say the trainer is lying, or being made to lie, but I think it gets pretty conspiracy theory oriented at that point.

We're both fans, so I know we both hope things will improve going forward. Personally, I think they will respond to this on Sunday against the Bucs with a win, as I believe the team is behind their coach. Certainly, I could be wrong. Let's hope I'm not!

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | December 8, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Bucs 31

Skins 24

Posted by: TWISI | December 8, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I don't know where all those points will come from. The Bucs rushing D has tightened up considerably.

In their last 3 games they held Michael Turner and Ray Rice under 100 yards rushing and completely shutdown Frank Gore (23 yards/ 2ypc).

If we have to send McNabb back to pass 45 times, well we all know how that story ends...

Posted by: p1funk | December 8, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

For accounting purposes, I hope the Redskin's announce when they plan to release Haynesworth so Ashburn-area bars and restaurants can lower their sales projections.

Posted by: clandestinetomcat | December 8, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: onanygivensunday | December 8, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

A chance for the hall of fame? Even though these arguments never end well, I can tell you that MS is a virtual lock for the Hall of Fame. He could go 6-10 for 3 years here and still be in on his first ballot. He is the second most winning active coach and one of a hand full to win back to back SBs.

Very likely, if not certain that he gets in.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | December 8, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

TB - 27

Redskins 3

wheels, wheel bearing hub, cv joint, and axles come off.......

U-G-L-Y they wont have no alibi...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 8, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

BG, look on the bright side.

At least they are going to lose with guys dedicated to building a winning culture...

Posted by: p1funk | December 8, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Not sure who has what options on Fat Albert's contract situation going into the off-season -- but give a choice and opportunity -- I'd trade his carcass to the Siberian Numbnuts for a couple of high class Olgas in hip boots and fox fur.

Posted by: Vic1 | December 8, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

We smack the stupid Bucs in the face-

28-13

I'm feeling optimistic again.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 8, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

TB - 27

Redskins 3

wheels, wheel bearing hub, cv joint, and axles come off.......

U-G-L-Y they wont have no alibi...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 8, 2010 1:49 PM
===========================
Agree on the score.. Shanahan has lost this team.
Disagree on the alibi.... Daddy set the table in Detroit to protect his boy.. DMac will be the scapegoat. And at the end of the season it was Snyder who forced the Shanahan's to play him and extend his Contract. Haynesworth who wouldnt cooperate to learn to play a 3-4 and McNabb who never could grasp Kyle's Offense (see press conference after the Detroit game).....
Brilliant opportunities for deflection of accountability in a losing season.

(hey btw bean.. you going to Ft Myers?)

Posted by: onanygivensunday | December 8, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

"But he's an extremely talented player that we had coveted in the free agent market, and [the Redskins] were fortunate enough to get him."

Dude must have holding back laughter when he said this.

Posted by: Predator48 | December 8, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

shaun,
I think this article sums up the Hayney drama best:

Posted by: Alan4 | December 8, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlayAction | December 8, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

He must have gotten on here and broken one of beep-beep's rules, you know how much power the Blog Leader has! He must have a lot of pull with our Little Dictator. Being the same height and all, they obviously have a lot in common! hahaha

Posted by: monk811 | December 8, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Stu and Monk, the DE vs DT gets murky when you line him up sometimes at DE, sometimes at DT, depending on scheme and matchups.

Also, AH's game has been to get upfield and sack the quarterback. Do you mean to say he's spent his career eating space and defending the run? That's why Carter's numbers are so much better?

Also, production is about preparation and keeping yourself healthy. Carter guts out stuff like torn biceps tendon last year. What exactly has AH gutted out that we know of? Does he understand what that means?

Posted by: RomoLongballs | December 8, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Also, my main point was the difference in professionalism between two prominent players that didn't get what they wanted from the coaching change...

Posted by: RomoLongballs | December 8, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RomoLongballs | December 8, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

There were 2 little hear-say injury reports from last year that I heard he toughed-out:

1. After practice one day he accidentally bit a jaw breaker thinking it was a gum ball. He had a severly sore jaw for about 4 days!

2. He got crabs in his eye brows from eating out a stripper. Those crab bites can be BRUTAL, poor Albert!

Posted by: monk811 | December 8, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mja712 | December 8, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

>>Barno that just made my day. Thank you, very funny (mostly because of its accuracy)

Me too. I know a willingness to see racial overtones in any situation, no matter how stretched, is a prerequisite for a job at the Post, but MW was unparalleled at it. In those 30 years, I honestly do not believe he ever sided with a white player or front office guy when a minority was involved.

As for the topic du jour, does anyone really believe if Gregg Williams was head coach of the Skins that the defense would be top ten or higher? And that their most dominant player would be AH?

Posted by: Iamhumongous | December 8, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

^21^

I guess Albert is still WANTED and FEARED around the league, unlike "The Great Sham-ahan" wants you to believe folks.

Come tune in for the next show under the Big Top at Redskin park. LMAO

Posted by: COLUMBIASKINS | December 9, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

^21^

Come tune in for the next show under the Big Top at Redskin park. LMAO

Posted by: COLUMBIASKINS | December 9, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Good riddance. Get your fat ass out of here you freaking thief/liar/slack ass.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 8, 2010 1:29 PM

_____________________________

LOL! I agree with the whole Pirate analogy, it suits his fat rear

at least I for one am done watching the saga of "AS THE REDSKINS WORLD TURNS", it freed up my Sundays to use it more efficiently and watch other teams play which makes it more fun

the Skins look soooooooooo S-L-O-W compared to the rest of the league

Posted by: datruth21 | December 9, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse