Albert Haynesworth does not take test because of sore knee

With his knee still sore Thursday and the field slick, Albert Haynesworth apparently did not take the conditioning test he must pass to participate fully in practice.

As he has done throughout training camp, the two-time all-pro reported to Redskins Park at 6 a.m. to begin a daily workout designed to improve his conditioning. Haynesworth has worked closely with strength coach Ray Wright in an attempt to please Coach Mike Shanahan and return to work.

The Redskins have denied reporters permission to interview defensive coordinator Jim Haslett on any subject until Haynesworth is permitted to practice. Haslett, one of Shanahan's top lieutenants, is in complete agreement with his boss's handling of Haynesworth, team sources familiar with the situation said late Tuesday night.

But Haslett and Haynesworth are developing a good working relationship, the sources said, and Haslett would prefer to have Haynesworth participate in 11-on-11 drills as soon as possible. If Haynesworth sits out practice today as expected, he would miss his 13th and 14th practices of training camp.

The combination of the knee problem and his subsequent inability to take the test is becoming a major hurdle for Haynesworth, the sources said. Although he took the test when he was with the Tennessee Titans, the Pro Bowler apparently had more time to recover between the first and second timed, 300-yard shuttle runs.

One source suggested Haynesworth may be able to end the testing process if he essentially apologizes to Shanahan for his offseason conduct and requests to practice. The source, however, doubts Haynesworth would apologize to Shanahan.

By Jason Reid  |  August 5, 2010; 8:52 AM ET
Categories:  Albert Haynesworth
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Running Backs: A breakdown
Next: John Madden sees some Brett Favre in Donovan McNabb

Comments

foist?

Posted by: original_mark | August 5, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

"..the numbers would suggest that Portis, Johnson and Parker all have lost a bit of their break-away ability."

Is 'break away speed' all that important in Shanny's running game?

I'd say, "mebbe yes, mebbe no."

An offense that features a lot of zone-blocking--and Shanny's historically has-- really needs a back who has excellent 'jump-cut' ability.

The back must see a crease in the blocking, and burst through it for a gain.

Multiple 4.3 gains over the course of a game that sustain long scoring drives are way more important than the every once and a while 40 yards+ scamper.

Our backs should split carries to where two guys rush for 1,700+ yards in an offense that passes for 3,400+.

Our backs should excel at blitz pickup and catching the occasional 'check down' pass: that can be a running play, too.

What'll save McNabb is using the running game as a crutch to lean on, not expecting him to don a Superman cape every Sunday like he was expected to in filthy Philly.

Using a two-headed, grind-it-out rushing attack is just as good as having A Petersen or C Johnson.

And it'll be a system that'll be a breakaway from the way we've run the ball in the

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 5, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Please stop reporting this recycled crap, over and over again. Until we get something that says Fat Al is practicing, we dont care to be told that he is sitting out...Report on the rest of the team that is actually killing themselves for this team.

Hail Skins and hopefully to a new beat reporter...

Posted by: mhartz1 | August 5, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Keeps sounding more like my scenario: Albert riding pine. What a d-d-dewsch!!!

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 5, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

So a week into practice, Fat Albert has managed to jog a grand total of about 300 yards and spent 20 minutes on an stationary bike. At this rate, he may be ready to take the field for pre-season training in early September... 2013.

Posted by: Vic1 | August 5, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

That's why I'm anxious for Rhino to step up his game...if he can man the RG spot and allow Hicks to be a flex player, that's a HUGE coup.

Hell, at this point I'd like to see us kick the tires on Kevin Mawae...if he's got anything left, you stick him in at center, move Rabach to RG, and send Hicks to the bench. Seems like a much better lineup than the one we have...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 5, 2010 8:11 AM
-----------------------------------------
Agree with Hicks being the utility guy, just I think the utility guy is the backup to the backup at both positions instead of the backup at both positions. I say go for a tackle because a good tackle has more value than a good guard. BTW, Chester Pitts ended up in Seattle as a tackle? I thought he was a guard...

Having Rino step up solves a few problems. I'm pulling for him.

Don't share your viewpoint on Rabach being versatile enough to play guard. In a Madden world, Edwin Williams would have the job at center, now. Heard Rabach was getting man-handled by Kemo but Williams is a little less moveable. I am tired of seeing our center collapse when facing mammoth nose tackles. I want a guy who can hold his own, or at least redirect the nose to a nearby guard. However, I don't think we are in the Madden world, and Rabach brings more to the table than his ability to crumble under nose tackles. Shanahan likes the guy and I think he is viewing his offensive line as having enough stability issues without inducting another bit of uncertainty at center.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 5, 2010 9:04 AM

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 5, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

If the source is correct than it proves that it not about him passing the test and more about having Al kiss his a**. F Shan!!

Posted by: jm220 | August 5, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

He won't apologize? He's a clown. A total, douchy clown. F him! Make him run the test and don't let his fat butt practice until he does! I'm starting to think that he SHOULD be benched until he shows some regret for being a prima donna. I'm not saying cut him. I'm saying give him the flat screen you were gonna give to Laverneous COles and let him watch from home. Shoot, it's not my money, it's dangerous Dan's.

Posted by: seanmichaeltaylor | August 5, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

I'm still waiting for my apology too

Posted by: PlayAction | August 5, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Stop reporting on AH until he passes the test. Until then, no new tale to tell.

Posted by: hessone | August 5, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Albert Haynesworth does not...

I don't care.

Albert Haynesworth does not...

I said, I don't care.

Albert Haynesworth does not...

I said, let it go.

We know the guy is out of sahpe, has a sore knee, and couldn't pass the conditioning test if it was standing still and he in a speeding car.

There are 79 other dudes in camp.

So, instead of telling us what AH won't do, again, and again, and again, and again, do some reporting about what the other guys are doing !

'Cuz that's what I care about.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 5, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

By the way., all you JR haters. This is THE biggest story of camp. Stop whining about him reporting on. He's reporting on other things, but this is huge. It's about our highest paid player acting like a petulant child. IT'S A STORY!

Posted by: seanmichaeltaylor | August 5, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

One source suggested - please, stop with the sources

Posted by: hessone | August 5, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Like apologizing would fix things... Who comes up with this silly crap? How about the guy just passes the test? That's the line in the sand Shanahan has drawn and I would be disappointed if he backed away from it.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 5, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jm220 | August 5, 2010 9:06 AM |

Relax. This "source" is pure fabrication of Jason Reid, designed to provoke knee-jerk reactions like yours.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 5, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Do him like they did Lavar. All of a sudden you find yourself on the sideline and then you CLAIM you don't know why. Keep him to the end of his contract and never let him touch the field. The money's already spent. Don't take any offers and just let him ride the pine and guard the drink.

Posted by: hbu_dog | August 5, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vic1 | August 5, 2010 9:04 AM

You'd think that after the 12th post from WaPo beat writers, that you'd know that your statement about 300 yards and 20 minutes aren't correct. I guess that's why we keep getting these rehashed posts about AH.

Posted by: TWISI | August 5, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

"Look, no matter how you slice it, the Redskins are flush with quality running backs."

Possibly. Or we could be "flush" with has-beens and never-will-bes. I agree, though, that we'll bring in more help at o-tackle before the pre-season is over (possibly after the first round of cuts). According to some, Heyer and our other backup tackles haven't been looking too good.

Posted by: rufus_t_firefly | August 5, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

beep-beep this whole story is pissing me off. No question big Al should pass the test. However, Shan needs to be smart about this. You let Al join the team and do extra running after working out with team until he pass the test. Not this stupid bs of no he can't join the team.

Posted by: jm220 | August 5, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Here, here, Dog. It's our only option. Maybe his next contract will be kinda weak as a result of our doing so. It's our only recourse.

Posted by: seanmichaeltaylor | August 5, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

RSH, Pitts is a C/G...just goes back to my assertion that I think we need more help on the interior than the tackles.

Disagree on what you're saying with "utility guys"...teams won't usually have more than 8 or 9 linemen active on game day, which means you gotta have at least two guys that can play more than one spot. So having a primary backup that can play RG and RT isn't a luxury so much as it is a necessity. Ironically, Rabach was that guy in Baltimore before he came here...backup center who also played both guard spots.

jm220, I hope you're kidding with that...that last paragraph was pure speculation and even if it's true, I don't think it's too much to ask of AH to show some contrition and pledge himself to the effort that the other 70+ players already have. I'll admit it looks much more ego-related on Shanahan's part, but the bottom line is getting AH hip to the program here...regardless of the reasoning behind it.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 5, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

moe, how was the vacation....

to suggest that Shanny wants an apology, is, to me, just foolish, and completely without merit....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 5, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jm220 | August 5, 2010 9:06 AM |

That may be true, but do you really think that bs Albert pulled in the off-season was really about playing in a 3-4?

Doubtful. More likely it was about him getting paid and not wanting to work.

I also won't be suprised if his knee injury suddenly gets better around, say, the end of training camp.

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 5, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

JReid apologizes for the re-post.

Posted by: Rypien11 | August 5, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

BTW...just saw on NFLN that Suh showed up to camp and did the EXACT SAME conditioning test that AH still can't pass a week later. Nailed it in one shot...got both legs of the test in well under 70 secs (the first was 65, the 2nd was 67). Maybe Haynesworth could learn a thing or two from the rookie...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 5, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

I'm sorry, jm220, how do YOU know that Haynesworth should pass the Shanahan Death Test, which has already hurt his knee? Do you understand how fast a DL should be able to run? The relationship of the recovery time? Come on. We have all these lightweights dancing on the field pretending they are taking the same test under the same conditions, most are 5 6 and 155 pounds. Shanahan needs to cave on this one, find a graceful way to let both men save face. As I've suggested, do it at a junior high field as the sun rises, no press present, and "accidentally" forget to stop the stopwatch, and say he passed.

As for the posters, who are uncomfortable about big black men and lose no opportunity to denigrate the man who made more money by staying on a roster than they will ever make, well, at least get the facts right. AH is not "resting", he is working hard every day. I recognize a lot of the names, they are the same who complained about LeBron. I guess they are more comfortable when black men don't make money, and can't change their jobs, and have someone like Shanahan as overseer, ready to lash out at them.

Posted by: ggreenbaum | August 5, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

dbailey211

"...how was Nawlin's? The Mrs and I will be going there next Thursday, the 12th of Aug. Any insight on what to and not to do?"

It's super hot there as there's no wind, so dress accordingly.

You can find good food anywhere, trust me.

The city has a ton 'o history, so take some time and be a student.

The people are extra friendly.

If you hit Bourbon Street at dusk, teams of young dudes come out and play incredibly good horn-section, bottom-heavy jazz for tips.

You can carry a brew out in the open.

You can hit the French Quarter multiple times and still not get enough of a place where strippers will dance for you right in front of the club where they work.

There are too many good looking black women for any man to ignore, regardless of his preferences: check them out.

Finally, get ready for the black n' gold Saints' luv.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 5, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rufus_t_firefly | August 5, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

The only "flush" at Redskin's Park was Albert Haynesworth after his 10 minute potty break!

Posted by: RedskinJim1 | August 5, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

and ITA the race baiting moron....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 5, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

I dont see how you can say this when we have Heyer as the backup at BOTH Tackle positions. I would have more faith in Hicks and Rhino at the guard spots then I would have faith in Hicks and Heyer at the Tackle positions.

Posted by: Stu27 | August 5, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

greenbaum, when you're done taking your hallucinagens, we'll be glad to explain the situation to you over here in reality. The distaste for AH comes from LAZY, not race...hell, half the posters here are black! Try guaging your audience, idiot...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 5, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

ggreenbaum that time for a lineman is reasonable. (he ran it the first time around) The problem as you pointed out is the recovery time. 3 1/2 is not enough time for somone of his size. Glad I am not the only one that see how stupid these people and reports are taking the test that much lighter than big Al but want to use the same time as him. They really show how stupid they are.

Posted by: jm220 | August 5, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27 | August 5, 2010 9:26 AM
-----------------------------------------
Stu, you got your wires crossed somewhere. I was saying we need to sign a tackle, and Brownwood was saying guard. He mentioned he didn't know why the Redskins didn't go after Chester Pitts when he was a free agent, and I said Pitts is listed on the Seahawks roster now as a tackle which I thought was strange because Pitts played guard in Texas. So, we stand in agreement that the Redskins should sign a tackle and I am saying Allen will get that done within a week. Book it.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 5, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ggreenbaum | August 5, 2010 9:23 AM

Wow. Moodlymoodlymoo would quit the blog in protest to this sort of dumbing-down if she hadn't already quit the blog last night when she'd had enough of Risa_L. I'm guessing that "ggreenbaum" is Chia_Pet's latest handle.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 5, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

rufus

"...that we'll bring in more help at o-tackle before the pre-season is over..."

Your point is well-made as the biggest fear we should all have is, 'What happens if J Brown gets hurt--again?'

I'd say if Levi Jones is still out there, negotiate a cap friendly deal with the understanding that all he has to be is better than S Heyer.

And that can't be too hard.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 5, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27 | August 5, 2010 9:26 AM

Upon reviewing the depth chart, I'm starting to reconsider...I've heard fairly good things about Will Robinson, but I wouldn't feel too good about him as the primary backup either. I still don't like our depth at G, so hopefully we upgrade at both G and T.

I suddenly don't feel so good about the O-line...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 5, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

You know, I found it really embarrassing when N. Suh said he had to take the same shuttle test once signing his rookie contract. He said he passed both parts with at least 3 seconds to spare. Someone please tell me why everyone thinks this test is not position or football related!!! When Suh is also a DT. It is clear that Albert has lost weight, but he is clearly not in football shape.

Posted by: roccoskins | August 5, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

REDSKINS CAMP DIARY, AUGUST 5, 2010

Dear Diary

I had the funniest experience last night. As I sat down to study my playbook near the fireplace at the old Xerox University following the afternoon walk-thoughs -- who should be sitting there but three of our running backs, who were playing “Who Da Man?”

I probably shouldn’t be saying this, but since it is just you and me, Dear Diary, I’ll go ahead anyway.

So Larry Johnson opens with a story about an away game at Denver, when he successfully bedded “not two, but three” Bronco cheerleaders at the same time – and then went out the next day and set a career rushing record. He laughed about being “mile high” all weekend, and concluded that was probably the first time that former Denver coach and current Washington coach Mike Shanahan realized that Johnson was one “prime stud running back.”

Willie Parker then said, “Well, yeah, you MAY be da man, but let me tell you something about overcoming adversity." He then went on to explain how despite sitting on the bench for much of his college career, he still managed to walk on and earn a starting job with the Pittsburgh Steelers, and with a 78-yard run, helped lead his team to victory in a Superbowl. He figures that coaches all around the league -- including Shanahan -- then came to see what a most valuable player he could be for a pro football team.

Well, then Clinton Portis came up with a story that beat all that. I wish I could tell it the way he said it, but frankly, I had a lot of trouble following his fractured syntax and ghetto slang –like keeping his pockets straight, telling fans how they could kiss his big black behind, and stuff. However, the long and short of it was this – despite being traded away from Denver by Shanahan, Portis was still able to convince the owner of the Washington Redskins to pay him anywhere from $6-8 million a year, guaranteed money, and he himself didn’t have to do so much as practice, gain a single yard, or do much of anything but share cigars and swap lies with the owner whenever he visited. And Clinton added, if past trends hold true in the future, Coach Shanahan could soon be working for him!

About that time, however, Fat Albert Haynesworth came trodding by. All three running backs then chimed in, in unison, “Now dere’s da man.”

Until next time,

Your BFF!

Posted by: Vic1 | August 5, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

For the record, I hate dudes like Haynesworth, LeQueen and Favre all the same. Couldn't care less about their color.

Posted by: ToddStinkston | August 5, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Was a Redskin Park yesterday and I'll say this about Albert..he was engaged in what was going on. He jogged to every station to be with the D-line. Was looking at the playbook and talking to the coaches. My view is that come opening day he'll be ready to go, the struggle seems to me, can he stay on the field for more than 2 or 3 plays without lying on the field begging for oxygen.

Posted by: mmcghee701 | August 5, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Jason,
Can you PLEASE just tell us about what the other players are doing in camp. How is the WR competition going? How is the OL looking? How is McNabb looking? How is the transition to the 3-4 going? Come on man!! Your there. Right?

Posted by: VaBroker | August 5, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

greenbaum

"Shanahan needs to cave on this one, find a graceful way to let both men save face."

"As for the posters....about big black men and lose no opportunity to denigrate..."

Two errors here, bro':

a.) A real authority figure doesn't have to save face, and is probably better off setting an example that'll resonant with the other 52 loyal men on the final roster.

b.) Any real man understands that when you sign a contract, you follow its stipulations as your signature is your word.

Shanahan is right to exactly what he is doing.

It's not a race/money issue.

It's a team building/bidness thang, and you just got to understand that.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 5, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

MistaMoe, how was Nawlin's? The Mrs and I will be going there next Thursday, the 12th of Aug. Any insight on what to and not to do?

Posted by: dbailey211 | August 5, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

and ITA the race baiting moron....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

Thanks, because I have no idea where the "big black men" bullsh*t was pulled from. What does that have a damn thing to do with if you think that Shanahan is ego tripping?

I know you said, "ITA" and all, but I'm trying to figure out where is the racial component in all this. I actually read a post the other day that said that all the "brothers" are with Haynesworth and all the *caucasian racial slur* are with Shanahan.

WTF?!?!?!?! I'm one neither side. I just want the ego tripping to stop and I wish that Haynesworth had the will to pass the test, so everyone (team, coaches, media, fans) can focus on things like, gee, hmmm... I don't know...

FOOTBALL?

Posted by: RedDMV | August 5, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

The initial euphoria from the TW pick and the J Brown singing can fade fast once people have to line up. The report saying that Heyer is the backup for both T spots was rather unsettling. I would have hoped that Hicks would have at least gotten looks at the Rtackle spot but apparently thats not how they feel. I can only hold out a sliver of hope for both E Williams and W Robinson. And am beinging to think that cook and Capers may be practice squad bound. Hopefully this changes either internally, some guys step up, or we can pick up some decent Vet. Keep in mind we didnt pick up Levi Jones last year until October and he worked out well for us.

Posted by: Stu27 | August 5, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

red, some people you just can't reach...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 5, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: seanmichaeltaylor | August 5, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Sure it's a story. But we have heard it, and heard it and heard. So when the story changes, let us know. Until then, report what is happening in camp. PLEASE!

Posted by: frediefritz | August 5, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

dbailey211

find this:

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 5, 2010 9:25 AM

There's more to say, but this isn't the Travel Channel.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 5, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dbailey211

Dress like a "death goth" and Desperately Seeking Morticia...No skanks, he/shes or secret agents..Well, maybe a secret agent, for the one night..Oh, damn ,you're married...Party likie its 1999, but don't get your car towed..Take a wallet chain..

Posted by: frak | August 5, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ToddStinkston

Add A-Roids to that list as well.

I guess because 3 of the 7 guys to ever hit 600 HRs were roid'id up.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 5, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

I suddenly don't feel so good about the O-line...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 5, 2010 9:36 AM
------------------------------------------
I think they are a work in progress. Right now, all I read about is how this guy and that guy is getting beat in practice. Heyer's name gets mentioned an awful lot: he's making a lot of linebackers and defensive ends look good in camp. I assume some of this is going to calm down as the preseason progresses, but it's the mechanics problems with players that worry me. Again, Heyer gets mentioned a lot. Capers is a rookie and we should hear his name occasionally, but right now, the guy is just very, very rough. Robinson's name hasn't been mentioned so much and I take this as a good thing. He's certainly better suited for Shanny's blocking scheme than whatever we ran last year. Still, he's a little smallish to be a tackle in this league. So, basically, at tackle we have a rookie who is still developing (T. Williams), a veteran who has some injury/durability question marks (J. Brown) and a whole lot of question marks after that. We're better than last year where all we had were questions after Samuels went down, but we are not where we need to be.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 5, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz | August 5, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

I, for one, want to know what's going on with one of our best defensive players (who happens to be an out of shape baby) on a daily basis. A twice daily basis, if possible. We could really use him on the field and when he's not, it hurts our team. KEEP ME UP TO THE MINUTE, JR! PLEASE!

Posted by: seanmichaeltaylor | August 5, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 5, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Eggs act Lee.

Posted by: Pepper5 | August 5, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mmcghee701 | August 5, 2010 9:43 AM

Thanks, thats good to hear. I suspected that but is never really reported in the updates.

Posted by: PlayAction | August 5, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

"how do YOU know that Haynesworth should pass the Shanahan Death Test, which has already hurt his knee? Do you understand how fast a DL should be able to run? The relationship of the recovery time? Come on. We have all these lightweights dancing on the field pretending they are taking the same test under the same conditions, most are 5 6 and 155 pounds. Shanahan needs to cave on this one."

Posted by: ggreenbaum | August 5, 2010 9:23 AM

death test? go to the espn website, search mike golic, and tell me if you still stand behind that statement.

any player should show up to camp ready to work. that means coming in shape. it has nothing to do with race. you can say albert is working hard, and maybe he is, but he wouldn't be doing remedial work if he came to camp ready. he is still letting his team down, and that is the bottom line.

Posted by: zatoichi77 | August 5, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz | August 5, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

I, for one, want to know what's going on with one of our best defensive players (who happens to be an out of shape baby) on a daily basis. A twice daily basis, if possible. He didn't take the test, AGAIN. It's news. We could really use him on the field and when he's not, it hurts our team. KEEP ME UP TO THE MINUTE, JR! PLEASE!

Posted by: seanmichaeltaylor | August 5, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

stu27

"I can only hold out a sliver of hope for both E Williams and W Robinson. And am beginning to think that cook and Capers may be practice squad bound."

We should send you to practice to take a cold look at the o-line backups.

Would it make sense to put Cook and Capers on the roster, and then cut some sorry left over players?

You could wait out cut-days, and stash added young o-line types on your practice squad.

If anything, the young'ns would at least have an upside, even though they might be just as bad as the bad vet back ups you released.

Over time, you might find another Jahri Evans.

Again: I don't see how a young undeveloped player you can train up can be worse than 4 year vet S Heyer.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 5, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vic1 | August 5, 2010 9:42 AM

Why? Why do you do this every day?

Sorry, but trying to find the humor in this (if it's meant to be humorous) is like trying to find the humor in getting your balls cut off.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 5, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Jason,

Posted by: VaBroker | August 5, 2010 9:44 AM
-------------------------------------------
Actually, Jason is not there at practice. He has a webcam, there, though. Unfortunately, Haynesworth sat on it on the first day and now it is crammed so far up his hersey highway that all they can report on is Haynesworth crap.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 5, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | August 5, 2010 10:13 AM

Ouch...nothing funny about that!!

Posted by: PlayAction | August 5, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of 11-on-11

First series of 11-on-11 drills and the emphasis has been on running plays, with a couple of play-action passes sprinkled in.

Here are some of the notable plays:

Phillip Daniels collapsed the front line from the left side and stops Ryan Torain on a run up the middle.
Rookie Keiland Williams showed nice burst on run to right. He used impressive speed to race past tackles by Carlos Rogers and Rocky McIntosh.
Donovan McNabb faked a handoff and rolled right and threw a nice pass to rookie Logan Paulsen for a 15-yard gain.
Andre Carter blitzed past blockers to meet Larry Johnson in backfield to stop a run play.
Clinton Portis ran straight up the middle and founds nowhere to run – he was engulfed by tacklers. Eventually he was let go, only to find Kareem Moore in his way past the line of scrimmage.
Rex Grossman connects with Fred Davis on a quick pass downfield for a 20-yard gain.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 5, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe

I just got wood. The Quarter at night is a great place for a guy to visit, and no place for your daughter to go.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | August 5, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the AH update, Jason. Keep 'em coming.

Posted by: Pepper5 | August 5, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Moe, we definetly need a source on the ground, we gotta get an agent in the henhouse.
One of the main probs im seeing in these updates are they all seem to revolve around whats happening on the O-line during pass protection. Now clearly with Dmac and really for anyone this is the most important aspect. But you draft guys like Cook and Capers for their impact in the run game. Havent really heard updates concerning the oline on run plays mainly just saying which backs broke long runs. I know from seeing Capers and the would assume from the style new mexico ran that both these picks arent going to excel right off the bat in pass protection. You get them in run blocking drills and they will wow you though.
I would love to see some progress with the young players during camp because I dont think anyone can defend Heyer as being the guy they want out here. And im not really sure about the practice squad placement status for our young oline players but im assuming we could put whoever down their w/o them getting snatched up?

Posted by: Stu27 | August 5, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

redDMV

"I haven't followed baseball for too long, but I can't think of any major record feat that was least celebrated as A-Rod joining the 600 club."

It happened the same day as B Favre couldn't decide to sh!t or get off the pot.

Which is why the vikes are handing him $16 million in toilet paper for 16 Sundays of earnest strains.

The same week the Prez turned 49.

Within the same hour a black dude in a beer warehouse i Conn. shot white people who caught him stealing in ways Wall Streeters get away with.

Three days into most NFL camps having opened.

In the middle of a Rick Pitino extortion trial.

While 80 year old Joe Paterno stood at a podium at the Big Ten media days and asked, "Have you seen my pills?"

He hit a home run that was less spectacular than the BP line drive that shut off a leaky oil well.

Chad and T.O. are the reality show this week, not A Rod and the sagging Bombers.

A Rod, a very fit athlete, chased Aaron, Bonds, and Ruth while the national sports media wondered when Albert Haynesworth would be able to complete a simple conditioning test having already finished his chase for $21 million.

Point is, baseball just doesn't register on the national scale anymore.

The chicks now dig the long pass, not the long ball.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 5, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Fat Albert apologize? That's a rich one.

Posted by: shanks1 | August 5, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

The chicks now dig the long pass, not the long ball.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 5, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure they just dig the long bank account.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 5, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Here's some of the stuff we can get from redskins.com and not from the WaPo:

-- 10:22 a.m. ET
More 11-on-11

Always the best part of practice -- and this year the Redskins are intermixing 11-on-11 action with other drills throughout the 2-and-a-half hour session. Some highlights:

Donovan McNabb fired a quick pass to Joey Galloway on the left sideline for a nice 10-yard pickup.

Adam Carriker broke free of a block and would have a clear shot on McNabb. Sensing the pressure, McNabb tossed a short pass to Davis.

Rex Grossman rolls left, but this time Chris Wilson – starting to get a read on the QB bootlegs, perhaps? – is there to put the pressure on him. Grossman gets rid of the ball. He bounces the throw in front of a receiver, incomplete pass.

McNabb-to-Davis connection continues. On play action, McNabb rolled right. Kedric Golston had a chance to sack him, but McNabb threw to Davis downfield for a sizable gain.

Brian Orakpo is on his game. He batted down consecutive passes by McNabb at the line of scrimmage, including one in which McNabb was rolling right and looking downfield for a receiver.

Clinton Portis working with the second-team offense, took a handoff and ran to the right. He did not see much running room behind Clint Oldenburg and Chad Rinehart. Perry Riley and Kareem Moore combined for the stop.

Richard Bartel fakes a handoff to Ryan Torain, then passes to Torain across the middle for a short gain.

Larry Johnson slips past the line of scrimmage on a run up the middle, but Byron Westbrook is there to wrap him up.

Rookie safety Anderson Russell pulled in an ill-advised deep throw by Bartel. It was an easy interception.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 5, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Jammal Brown’s Status

Players are working through warm-ups and stretch, and right tackle Jammal Brown is out on the practice field with the team.

Brown is wearing full pads and it appears he is back at practice.

Brown sat out Wednesday’s practice due to hip soreness. With the New Orleans Saints last year, he had surgery on the hip, sidelining him for the entire season, so Redskins coaches want to be extra cautious.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 5, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Davis-McNabb will be an awesome tandem this year.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 5, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe |

Not sure what the black and white portion of this comment is meant to stir up, but I'll bite. From what I hear, he was stealing beer, and his employers gave him a choice of quitting or getting prosecuted -- pretty tame response. He went out to his car, got a gun and sprayed bullets in a crowded warehouse, killing 7 people. Don't try to turn a murderous rampage into the Nat Turner rebellion.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | August 5, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Hmmm, lots of rolling around in the pocket. What a novel idea, move the pocket in an attempt to protect your QB. This is a concept that Zorn must have never heard of.

Posted by: Devo2 | August 5, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

thanks to all who provide updates, more so than we get here....I appreciate it....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 5, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

@roccoskins "but he is clearly not in football shape."

To be honest roccoskins, even if Albert passes the test does not necessarily means he or anyone else for that matter is in football shape. Just saying.

Posted by: dbailey211 | August 5, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Devo2

Hahahaha..Seeing Zorn's razorweed hair hovering around Flacco and Bulger bodes ill for the Ravens..

Posted by: frak | August 5, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

AH Will be carring a clip board and assisting the defence while on the IR list this season. TV will show shots of him and make commits about him all season.

Posted by: Wmlomc | August 5, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Fat Albert was fed a line of bull by Danny Boy Snyder before he signed ie he would play in system that would showcase his strengths. Will Danny Boy changed dance partners for this season and now the story has changed. I would be po'd to if I was Fat Albert.

Shanie needs to grow the f up. Its about winning not about ego and urinating in someone's corn flakes. Shanie would have gotten fragged in Vietnam and in recent deployments he would have poked his fool head up in Iraq or Afghanistan and taken a round between the eyes.

Shanie lacks any concept of leadership.

BTW chicks dig a Black card and someone who knows how to use the equipment he has.
They also appreciate a cunning linquist.
Kind leaves Mistamoe playing pocket pool with the rest of early mornign coffee drinkers at the lcoal Home Depot.

Posted by: sheepherder | August 5, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Haynesworth signs deal with Dancing with the Stars! Then gets whacked in the knee with a tire iron by Tanya Harding's new boyfriend, Vinny Cerrato.

Posted by: richs91 | August 5, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse