Haynesworth is Redskins best pass rusher

His strength, as well as his agility and quickness for a man of his size, enables Haynesworth to win individual matchups against offensive linemen, and sometimes even beat double-teams, to apply pressure to quarterbacks, they said. In fact, Haynesworth, according to film, is so effective in the team's nickel package that it is almost inconceivable he would not start in the personnel grouping Sunday night against the Dallas Cowboys in the season opener at FedEx Field, they said.

Tony Romo is an elusive, big-play quarterback, and how the Redskins' defense fares against the Cowboys' offense will depend, in large part, on whether their pass rush is consistently effective. The Redskins' other defensive lineman are not as good as Haynesworth, a two-time all-pro, at getting into the backfield.

Unlike the team's 3-4 base package this season, in which defensive linemen, for the most part, are restricted to moving laterally in an effort to occupy offensive lineman, the linemen are free in the nickely package to head up field from the snap to go after quarterbacks. That's what Haynesworth does best.

Coach Mike Shanahan has not indicated that Haynesworth is injured, so there should be no reason why he would be inactive for the season opener. Regardless of what has occurred between Haynesworth and the Redskins to this point, Haynesworth is a big-stage player. They need to let him on it against the Cowboys.

By Jason Reid  |  September 10, 2010; 10:00 AM ET
Categories:  Albert Haynesworth
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Return to sidelines will stir Shanahan's emotions
Next: Albert Haynesworth practices mostly with scout team

Comments

Shanahan's emotions will certainly be stirred during and after the game. The primary emotions will be shame and regret. After all, his ratty mug and his name are now associated with the loser known as the Redskins. Danny Snyder threw a wad of cash at him and he couldn't help himself.

You knuckle draggers are about to find out first hand why the Cowboys are so beloved across America. WE GET IT DONE. BTW, the commercials are slanted in our favor because we're America's Team and that's that.

Feel free to continue dreaming about a victory on Sunday. Harsh reality will intrude soon enough.

Star Pride!!

Posted by: BigBlueStar | September 10, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Okay, this is among the linemen. I was wondering why he'd be above, say, Orakpo. But this is just about linemen. Okay then.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 10, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

J Reid- Cooley said this morning on 106.7 that Haynesworth has been playing with the "practice" team in practice this week. Getting reps against the first string offense...not sure if that equals a lot of snap Sunday night.

Posted by: Bog_Reader | September 10, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

"Albert Haynesworth is by far the Redskins' best pass-rushing defensive lineman, according to NFL officials who have reviewed tape of the team."

I'd modify that to read, 'sometimes'.

It's probably Albert's preferred role: designated rusher. Pretty much what Lawrence Taylor became later in his career.

And for once, he might actually start a season in something close to playing condition (be a first for him).

Posted by: Samson151 | September 10, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

repost:

The Onion does team-by-team NFL preview:

Dallas Cowboys

•Strength: Yes, there are positives, but reading them will only make you angry and listing them will only make us angry

•Weakness: Other than being the most infuriating, knuckle-whitening, I-want-to-throw-a-brick-through-my-television-set-when-I-watch-them team in the league, are a little weak at free safety

•Intangibles: F*ck the Dallas Cowboys and every f*cking thing they stand for; special teams

•Biggest Question: Can they finally get over the hump and get back to the Super Bowl, and do they know how much that would depress the entire U.S. populace?

I just started liking the Onion that much more...

Posted by: RomoLongballs | September 10, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RomoLongballs | September 10, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Haynesworth is Redskins best pass rusher.......

..........when he wants to play.

You forgot to add the most important part of that sentence Reid.

Posted by: Predator48 | September 10, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

I'm wearing my Nick Giaquinto jersey under my suit. I am longing for a moment where I can rip open my fine Brooks Brother's shirt and go Terry Tate on someone's azz in finance or HR.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 10, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bog_Reader | September 10, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Got to wonder if they are doing that to help Williams prep for a heavy work lode with Ware. If so brilliant.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 10, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Whew. Finally a Haynesworth post. I was beginning to think they forgot about him.

You know who we never hear about? Golston. He has been in the starting lineup since Haynesworth started his adolescent BS. Anyone want to write a little something about that guy who has only been starting all preseason?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 10, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

J Reid, "nickely package"=five incher?

Posted by: RomoLongballs | September 10, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

How suprizing, RI reports on AH.

REID, stop with AH already, JEEZ.

Posted by: hessone | September 10, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 10, 2010 10:12 AM
-----------------------------------------
I love those Terry Tate commercials.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 10, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Best case scenario: Shanahan and Haynesworth are just f_cking with everyone.

I think behind the scenes they are cool.

They are grown men, when you have a fight with a guy you're usually bff afterwards.

Haynesworth destroys Romo and 3rd and short running plays...ppplease.

Then all is right in the universe.

Posted by: iH8dallas | September 10, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

the first saint's drive last night, was what I hope our offense looks like this year, a stretch, I know, but thats what I want...how many years has it been since this offense has been a weapon? 1999??....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 10, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Everyone who hated me now loves me. I am so confused again.

Posted by: Albert_Haynesworth | September 10, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Haynesworth is Redskins best pass rusher.......

..........when he wants to play.

You forgot to add the most important part of that sentence Reid.

Posted by: Predator48 | September 10, 2010 10:10 AM

Exactly...oh, and Brian Orakpo says 'hi'...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 10, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Haynesworth sucks, he's practicing with the scrubs. No wait, he's the best pass rusher on the Redskins. No wait, he sucks, he's drastically out of shape.

Make up your mind!

Posted by: schneed10 | September 10, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

J Reid, "nickely package"=five incher?

Posted by: RomoLongballs | September 10, 2010 10:13 AM
-----------------------------------------
No, nickely package refers to his five headed tool. He has a condom that fits like a glove...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 10, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

So much for Mr. Haynesworth looking "awful" in the preseason, huh?

The Redskins are a bush-league team, using bush-league tactics in a futile attempt to make my client look bad. That might work with Redskins fans, who, let's be honest here, aren't the sharpest folks you'll ever meet, but it won't work with NFL personnel evaluators. Further, McNabb wants him on the Redskins because the Redskins defense is nothing special without him. Those are the facts.

Mr. Haynesworth has people drooling to have him on their team because of his talent. Conversely, Shanahan drools because he can't help it--he's a dullard.

Good Day.

Posted by: HaynesworthsAgent | September 10, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

RSH, well done.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | September 10, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

I really want Anthony Armstrong to start ahead of JG.

Posted by: iH8dallas | September 10, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Wow, what wonderful memories this video brings back!!

Posted by: RedskinJim1 | September 10, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Who's the gay pride dude and why is he here?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 10, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 10, 2010 10:12 AM

NPI...didn't we have a little talk about double thread posting yesterday? haha

Only 58 more hours!!! Yes!!!

Posted by: PlayAction | September 10, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

This is a little different take than what you were spouting off about earlier this week.

You know, the "Not only will he not start but he may be inactive" nonsense.

Oh well, glad you caught up, now try to keep up.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | September 10, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended

Just remember, game time is PAIN TIME, baby, WOOOOOOOOO!

Posted by: Predator48 | September 10, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Has the Jerrah Jones/Snyder commercial already been disscussed?

Snyder remined of a little boy being spoken to by a shifty salesman.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 10, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

I'm so completely sick and tired of this "AH is our best ____"...this is such a shortsighted assessment. Dude is a Ferrari with no engine...great measurables, looks good on the showroom floor, but you're not going from 0-60 in 4 secs UNLESS THERE'S AN F-ING ENGINE!!! If AH doesn't wanna play or dogs it 3/4 of the time he's out there, how the f*ck do you figure he's the best pass rusher??? C'mon son...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 10, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

A Haynesworth thread.

Seriously, for real, I did not see this one coming.

Hayneswoth = Jason Reid's crack cocaine fix

Seek help, dude.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 10, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Haynesworth is Redskins best pass rusher.......

..........when he wants to play.

You forgot to add the most important part of that sentence Reid.

Posted by: Predator48 | September 10, 2010 10:10 AM

Exactly...oh, and Brian Orakpo says 'hi'...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 10, 2010 10:17 AM

Believe me I'm not one to defend J Reid but if you're going to get at him at least don't butcher what he said . He said best "pass rushing defensive end" not "pass rusher." You sound like a politician when you take things out of context and eliminate certain words to make a point.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 10, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

It's pretty interesting...the whole DC area and the division rivalry between the Skins and cowpukes. If you look at the history of DC, it was inhabited in the 30's and 40's by many poor white folks who moved from the South and West Virginny. The Skins were also the last team in the NFL to integrate african american players into the fold, not until 1962. It's a shame George P. Marshall was such a bigot. I can see why there would be so many cowpuke fans in the DC area, based on the DC area's historic racial divide and the passing down of team fandom from one generation to the next. If you didn't appreciate the racial stance of G.P. Marshall's Redskins, the cowpokes would be a natural choice, considering they blackmailed Marshall by buying the rights to "Hail to the Redskins," and were voted into existence in 1960.
I realize that this analysis is a bit revisionist, but it does shed some light on why DC has so many freakin cowpoke fans, 99% of which have NEVER BEEN TO DALLAS.

Posted by: aaronharman | September 10, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended

Just remember, game time is PAIN TIME, baby, WOOOOOOOOO!

Posted by: Predator48 | September 10, 2010 10:23 AM
------------------------------------------
"You can't cut the cheese wherever you please!" "You take all the joe, you make some mo!" I love those two.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 10, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 10, 2010 10:12 AM

NPI...didn't we have a little talk about double thread posting yesterday? haha

Only 58 more hours!!! Yes!!!

Posted by: PlayAction | September 10, 2010 10:22 AM |

Damn it. I tried to 'red x' while my post was 'processing' so I could put it here. If I am guilty, then for at least that, I am an utter doosh bag.

I say that because intentional re-posts are gayer than Brady Anderson running through DuPont Circle in a thong while waving a rainbow flag.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 10, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Pizza for lunch today! I hope there will be some for leftovers.

Posted by: Albert_Haynesworth | September 10, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Has the Jerrah Jones/Snyder commercial already been disscussed?

Snyder remined of a little boy being spoken to by a shifty salesman.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 10, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Snyder has all the money he could ever want. Why do this?

If I owned the skins I would finance my own commercials where I'm putting my d_ck in Jerry's mouth and laughing.

Posted by: iH8dallas | September 10, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Anyone else pissed that NFLN sent Michael f-ing Irvin to Ashburn for this interview with McNabb? I mean, they have no less than two former Skins working there and they send Michael f-ing Irvin??

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 10, 2010 9:52 AM

It seems approprite to me. When I see Shanahan and McNabb, I still don't feel like I'm watching actual Redskins.

Why not hire Michael Irvin or Tiki Barber as our PR guy?

Posted by: Alan4 | September 10, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Haynesworth is Redskins best pass rusher.......

..........when he wants to play.

You forgot to add the most important part of that sentence Reid.

Posted by: Predator48 | September 10, 2010 10:10 AM

Exactly...oh, and Brian Orakpo says 'hi'...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 10, 2010 10:17 AM

Ever consider that the other lineman are so bad (and they are) that even when AH is half-azzing it he's better than them and draws more attention?
And brownie, Orakpo is a linebacker in your program not a lineman.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 10, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 10, 2010 10:28 AM

It's cool...maybe we all get one pass per week...except for Hess...and obviously any dallas fools.

Posted by: PlayAction | September 10, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Those Sean Taylor v Dallas Vid's got me all choked up and I am at work.

RIP21

Posted by: alex35332 | September 10, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Dammit, the team cafeteria isn't open yet.

Posted by: Albert_Haynesworth | September 10, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

"Mr. Haynesworth has people drooling to have him on their team because of his talent."

Posted by: HaynesworthsAgent |

That must be why the Titans wouldn't bite on a 2nd round pick for him.

Posted by: jboogie1 | September 10, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Actually he said best pass-rushing defensive lineman.

This isn't surprising, we've known it all along. He wasn't signed to a record contract for arbitrary reasons. He's one of the best pass-rushing linemen in all of football.

However, it's getting him to play consistently and within the scheme that is the problem.

Posted by: psps23 | September 10, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

I noticed that the directv NFL commercials with the Cowboy's are one sided. The one with the Redskin's has a mutt Troy Barkman pissing on Redskin's paraphernalia. Last night it was the Eagle's turn as a waitress rung out her rag in Eagle fans iced tea. My question is, why run an ad in the Redskins market siding with the Cowboy's ? Same with the Brady ad at the top. Reminds me of Gibbs second year coaching the Redskin's and how you had to earn respect, and earn it we did.

Posted by: hessone | September 10, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Those two Direct TV commercials are total slams of Bovine Cartel fans. Think about it...a young, plain looking, gold digger with a hideous Texas accent and a miserable old coot that's either demented or trying to tune her out...OR...a bitter old diner waitress who is in every toothless trucker's little black book. In short...PERFECT representation of Cowpie fans. Now if they could just figure out a way to poke fun at the losers who post on other team's fan blogs like CrackheadIrvin88 and BlueStarOintment. Something tells me they wouldn't get THAT either.

Posted by: MColeman51 | September 10, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Has the Jerrah Jones/Snyder commercial already been disscussed?

Snyder remined of a little boy being spoken to by a shifty salesman.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 10, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Snyder has all the money he could ever want. Why do this?

Posted by: iH8dallas | September 10, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

That would be well-spent advertising $$$!!!!

Posted by: jboogie1 | September 10, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

I'll be first in line because I'm the best.

Posted by: Albert_Haynesworth | September 10, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

how the f*ck do you figure he's the best pass rusher??? C'mon son...

Posted by: brownwood26

Because a fourth of the time he is.

My point?

You're still fooling people even if it's some of the time.

Haynesworth at even a fourth of the time is still the best pass rusher on the defensive line. It isn't even close.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 10, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 10, 2010 10:26 AM

Yeah, I caught that after I posted...either way, this is moot if he's not going full speed. I get that he's talented enough to get away with half-assing and still be somewhat effective, but I refuse to buy the idea that we're somehow better off playing him dogging it in lieu of a guy who exhibits a good and consistent motor. This ain't basketball...that just flies in the face everything football is supposed to stand for...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 10, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BigBlueStar | September 10, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

This is so wrong on many levels. Before the 'short bus' picks you up, let me explain this: EVERYONE but retarded Cowpie fans hate them, how are they beloved? Also, what have you 'gotten done' in the last 14 years? Let's count the accomplishments:
-only 1 playoff victory
-owner gets shlockered and makes an azz out of himself
-bring in an overrated QB and crown him to be the next great, only for him to flop (Carter, Bledsoe, Romo, etc.)
-build a stupid looking stadium with an oversized tv that will eventually fall and kill someone
-cheerleaders are getting uglier by the year
-bring in washedup coaches past their prime
-sign excons and trouble makers that don't do anything for you and eventually get cut

Wow, you're right, you guys are the 'model' organization, have another good 14 years, LOSERS! HAHAHA

Posted by: monk811 | September 10, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

My agent says that now is the time to renegotiate my contract since my value is so high.

Posted by: Albert_Haynesworth | September 10, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 10, 2010 10:37 AM |

Fair enough.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 10, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

By the way, who are those 'NFL officials who reviewed the tape'? the NFL Films staff? Roger Goodell?

Why not some attribution? I mean, who's going to punish them for it?

Posted by: Samson151 | September 10, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 10, 2010 10:37 AM

It's because you and a lot of others here let emotion overtake your reasoning. But where would sports be without fanatics.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 10, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | September 10, 2010 10:37 AM

OK, got it...so if a guy is a liability for 3 plays, as long as he looks good that 4th play, it's all good. OK. Yet when Brandon Banks loses a fumble once for every TD he runs back, you can't trust that guy...he's gotta go. I think I'm up to speed now...

UFB...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 10, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Has the Jerrah Jones/Snyder commercial already been disscussed?

Snyder remined of a little boy being spoken to by a shifty salesman.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 10, 2010 10:24 AM |

Nice 4th. It looks like a Stranger Danger PSA.

Posted by: mack1 | September 10, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Star Pride!!

Posted by: BigBlueStar | September 10, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse
_________

See exhibit "A":

Cowgirls get it done, huh? Yeah, right.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | September 10, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

-build a stupid looking stadium with an oversized tv that will eventually fall and kill everyone

Fixed it for ya. Because that would be the dream scenario.

As long as the 'skins or any of their fans are in the stadium. Would preferably like to see this happen at one of their practices.

Oh wait that DID happen already...

Posted by: RedDMV | September 10, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

I really want Anthony Armstrong to start ahead of JG.

Posted by: iH8dallas | September 10, 2010 10:20 AM

I really want a a Jessica Alba and Biel sandwich.

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 10, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Introduce him to the bench. I would have 100% effort from a player that only had 80% of his talent rather than have this unreliable selfish guy on the field. Forrest Gump said that life is like a box of chocolates. Having Haynesworth on the field in our most important game of the season could be like picking that piece of chocolate with the filling that you hate. You don't know what type of effort you are going to get from him so take the guess work out of the equation and sit him on the bench. An overachiever can get lucky and make some good plays. An underachiever will always disappoint you.

Posted by: Carole5520 | September 10, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

London Fletcher will be installing the newest module of Jim Hazelnut's 3-4 stunt package when, during the QB's cadence, Fletch tosses an individually-wrapped Drake's Coffee Cake (the large size) in Bony Homo's direction. Almost simultaneous with the center's snap, Albert Haynesworth is 3 yards into the 'Poke's backfield with 'Pokes linemen lying on the ground like bowling pins while Haney is on his hands and knees, desperately trying to open his prized treat like Michael Irvin in his living room having dropped a piece of crack.

Ultimately, this leads to both Orakpo and Carter collapsing on the unprotected QB so hard that he poops his pants.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 10, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Jackson may be traded to Redskins according to espn insider?

Posted by: BarackObama | September 10, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead

Nope, snyder is a greedy azzhole. The inclination to be lenient by attributing his failures to a learning curve are based on the PR and publicity activities he uses to manipulate public opinion. We thought OJ was a decent dude until we found out he was a brutal wife beater; same idea. I believe that he knew his organization might be reselling tickets but maintained plausible deniability. He didn't improve the stadium, it is very expensive to get tickets, park, eat, etc. He over markets and promotes to the extent of being crass and gaudy. That retard kept vinny despite the obvious; I think the players were often seen as mechanisms to sell tickets not member of a team. He had the opportunity to run the organization right, but ego and short term gain outweighed considering the more important and responsible changes he could have made but decided not to.

As someone who works in organizational management believe me Ive seen it before.

Snyder is someone who you might say has no class but a lot of power.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | September 10, 2010 9:49 AM
------------------------------------------
Man, I never said he was Angelic, but he's not the anti-Christ, either. I always have a problem with the "Oh, that's just propaganda" defense. First, if that is true and you don't know the guy personally (which I assume you don't), then how do you sort the propaganda from the real story, since everything you have ever heard about the guy is delivered to you second hand? If you're going to throw out half of what you have heard for being propaganda, which half do you throw out? The half that doesn't agree with your idea of what the man is?

As for me trusting you because you work in organizational management, that's kind of like saying, "Trust me, I'm from the government and I am here to help you". The one thing I know without a doubt is Snyder is a very wealthy man who made it there through a customer facing business: marketing. If he knows less about organizational management than you do, then you must be Warren Buffet.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 10, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Still the best and our D becomes so much worse without him.

Posted by: Stu27 | September 10, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bog_Reader | September 10, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | September 10, 2010 10:12 AM

Or better yet giving Rabach a taste of his huge matchup w/ Ratliff. I actually don't think it's all that calculated. I think MS is leaning towards limited snaps for AH.

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 10, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

He has been paid..... Do what you are paid to do Albert. Sunday night get to Romo...often.
I am tired of all the BS. Oh yeah..... Dallas sucks.

Posted by: cowbell | September 10, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Star Pride!!

Posted by: BigBlueStar | September 10, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Yeah you've really gotten it done, lately. The perennial Superbowl favorites always come back to reality by November.

You are not America's Team anymore. As long as New Orleans continues to deal with the consequences of decisions made by politicians and oil companies from TEXAS, the Saints are America's Team.

"We get it done". Really? What position do you play? What contribution did you make to the latest Cowpie collapse that justifies your use of the 1st-person?

Romo is, and shall remain, a deer in the headlights. As much as he loves being famous, banging starlets, and golfing with Tiger, you'd think he's actually won something! As a Skins fan, he doesn't worry me nearly as much as McNabb did in the last decade.

I hate to waste my time on this, and you probably can't read more than a sentence or two at a time, anyway, so I'll finish by announcing that the image Romo on the ground, crying, as the Eagles owned him in only the first quarter of the game in which they stole D's playoff berth, is currently my desktop background.

Posted by: jboogie1 | September 10, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

*aren't in the stadium....

brown, chill man. 1) I sort like the dude Banks and 2) I was half serious about the post in the first place.

Listen to learned, you gotta take the emotion out of your opinion on Haynesworth. Every post you make POURS with discontent over the guy. Every single one. I understand the dude is a bit of an ass, but I never read anything from you even sort giving the guy any props.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 10, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

"You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time." - What Abe said to Obama."
Posted by: RedDMV

LOL haven't seen this one in a while. Actually the source is disputed -- apparently there's no documentation for Lincoln (it's also sometimes attributed to Barnum, but that's even less likely). Some historians think a newspaperman made it up in the interests of a good story.

The original quote (from which the above was adapted) was by the poet John Lydgate. And referenced not 'fooling' the people, but the difficulty in 'pleasing' them.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 10, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

That must be why the Titans wouldn't bite on a 2nd round pick for him.

Posted by: jboogie1 | September 10, 2010 10:34 AM

The Redskins are known to bungle trades. Why would the Titans give them what he's worth?

You clearly have a lot to learn.

Posted by: HaynesworthsAgent | September 10, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

While I sorta loathe AH at this point and would have wanted a trade around draft time that just wiped this whole mess away. I have to cosign what JReid and LH are stating here and say the dude is on the team and you gotta use him to the best of his abilities/condition and knowledge of scheme that you can Monday night and going forward. And some of that will mean Shanny easing up a bit.

If Sunday he plays little and rides bench/or inactive than this problem just become exponentially bad. The only thing Skins fan who want a competitive season can hope for is that he plays Monday a healthy amount and looks good/contributes/tries hard which would go a long way to bringing the situation to "norm" for 2010 season.

Posted by: chrislarry | September 10, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

When do they announce the inactives for the game??

Posted by: dchesnea | September 10, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

John Lydgate: "You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time"

Ever seen a better description of a sports blog?

Posted by: Samson151 | September 10, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jboogie1 | September 10, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Hey, I think this is Tony Romo!
If it is, he had a HUGE part in messing them up.

Posted by: monk811 | September 10, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 10, 2010 10:42 AM

You're right...what was I thinking? The less talented team NEVER won a SB or a regular season game. No chance the talented, 1st rounder can be overtaken by the 6th round pick nobody's ever heard of (Tom Brady says 'hi'). This is just like the NBA. Upsets never happen and this is a game of individuals, team concept be damned.

That's why Redskin history is built on star power and "sex appeal", instead of having 11 men on the field acting as one unit instead of having 11 individuals roaming around looking to earn their next payday. That's why guys like Timmy Smith, Doug Williams, and Mark Rypien wear rings at the expense of guys like John Elway, Bruce Smith, and Thurman Thomas. Yup. That's the way to build it. Can't imagine why that hasn't worked in the last 10 years...

Call me when you put down the Playstation controller, pull yourself outta AH's ass, and seek to join the real world...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 10, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

@NateinPortland ...

Haynesworth beats double teamed lineman also on rushing plays. This is something Orapko cannot do. Probably never will be able to do. That is the difference. Its also very hard to run on Haynesworth when he is in his game. This makes him the best pass rusher and best lineman whether anyone likes it or not. But its all gone to his head as has the continuing soap opera called the Washington Redskins.

If he is in his game is the question.

Posted by: periculum | September 10, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bog_Reader | September 10, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | September 10, 2010 10:12 AM

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 10, 2010 10:53 AM
------------------------------------------
The first team offense - which Cooley is a part of - usually practices against the second team defense - which Haynesworth is a part of.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 10, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

"Jackson may be traded to Redskins according to espn insider?"

Which Jackson, Tito or Marlon?

I'd give up a first rounder for Micheal, but I hear he's on the permanent PUP list.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 10, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Samson151, I've heard that Abe Lincoln didn't actually say the quote, but never knew who actually did or if it was made up.

The one from John Lydgate is a better one anyway. Because that one rings true ALL the time.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 10, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

moe, the trade is actually for Reggie Jackson....need to see if he still has it in October...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 10, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 10, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Sure but even so, Williams taking reps against AH is better than taking reps against most other players on the first or second team D. If thats the side AH is lining up at.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 10, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Play him on 3rd downs and in the red zone early in the year. Make sure hes in condition and fresh for a 19 game push.

Posted by: Stu27 | September 10, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

RSH-

He was practicing w/ the scout/practice team. It's another demotion. He could be simulating Ratliff or like I suspect he's not going to get many snaps this Sunday based on this new development.

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 10, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 10, 2010 10:26 AM

To be fair, the title of the article is "Haynesworth is the Redskins best pass rusher". It's pretty easy to see how people would be misled.

Posted by: HunterB | September 10, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

really good ST video in HD. song is terrible, but video is great.

Posted by: saltine182 | September 10, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | September 10, 2010 10:55 AM

Red, I like Banks too...that's my point. That guy tries his ass off and fumbles a couple times (which he recovered himself save for one), but he's gotta go. AH half asses games, skips the offseason as a whole, and all but spits in the faces of the men that made him rich and we should shrug our shoulders and let it ride. It's unbelievably ridiculous.

And I probably make my distaste for AH sound worse than it is...I don't hate him per se, I just want him to stop breathing for awhile.

Seriously though...I have more of a problem with people wanting to brush his BS under the rug than I do anything else. If this guy were a backup or marginal starter, he'd already be gone. He is what I thought he was. The organization and the AH apologists need to get with the program and get this guy out. He's not gonna wake up one day buying in...we're going into Week 1. If he hasn't bought in yet, he's not going to. Nor is he going to be dominant without the proper conditioning/knowledge of the defense. This is common sense, not rocket science...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 10, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Still think 92 is gonna have a huge game. Even if they just use him in the nickel. Lotsa smokescreens being put up in the media.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | September 10, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Redskins fans are dense, dense, dense.

How many times have you been told that since we're America's Team EVERY blog related to the NFL is our home???

You guys have a lot of nerve to speak ill of us on what is technically the Washington Post Cowboys Insider (with a few items about the Skins). The Cowboys will take care of that Sunday night by putting you and your owner back in your place.

Jerry Jones bought big screens and what did that little Jerry-wannabe Snyder do the very next year? He bought big screens! Gotta keep up with the Joneses, I guess. LOL!!!

Posted by: HippoWatts | September 10, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Which Jackson, Tito or Marlon?

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 10, 2010 11:05 AM

LOL...that's one way of looking at it. I prefer to think he's taking "a dirt nap"...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 10, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Hayneswoth = Jason Reid's crack cocaine fix

Seek help, dude.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 10, 2010 10:26 AM

I was relating to this more of a herione (sp?) addict....lol...

Can we get further info on VJ to Skins trade rumor???

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 10, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: HunterB | September 10, 2010 11:11 AM |

Good point.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 10, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

ST21 is da mannnnn
hated the cowboys more than any Skin this decade

can't wait for sunday

HAIL

my top 5 Skins all time
1.) ST21
2.) Slingin' Sammy Baugh
3.) Art Monk/Darrell Green
4.) The Hogs
5.) Wilbur Marshall/Ken Harvey/London Fletcher

sorry i cant pull more 60s and 70s playas

Posted by: retroskins14 | September 10, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 10, 2010 10:26 AM

Posted by: HunterB | September 10, 2010 11:11 AM |

If they stop reading after the headline, sure.

Posted by: mack1 | September 10, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

why the Cowboys are so beloved across America. WE GET IT DONE.
Posted by: BigBlueStar | September 10, 2010 10:07 AM

HAHHAAHAA! Your fan base is full of Bandwagon half wits that had no connection so they bought in to a marketing blitz (Americas Team). Much like I am sure you cant even point to Dallas on a map. People who really had no following or purpose. So they went with the cult. Kinda like another Famed Texas Following in Waco!!! When Dallas is losing you cant find their fans. Cut them and they bleed the colors of the front runner. And I guess "getting it done" means 1 playoff win in 14 yrs. It is baffling. I would not spend ONE SECOND trolling the sorry cowboys sites. WHAT A LOSER!!!! HAHA

Posted by: Club320 | September 10, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

brown, you talk about Redskins History and they got it done with no-names and replacement players. The thing about that is that it is history.

You can't win these days with out big names and very talented players at key positions. And all three defensive line positions are key in a 3-4.

"Which Jackson, Tito or Marlon?

Shout out to Randy...

Posted by: RedDMV | September 10, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

RSH-

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 10, 2010 11:08 AM
------------------------------------------
Isn't the scout team mostly the second string guys? Do the math for the active roster and I think you'll agree with me. Haynesworth is practicing where he has been practicing. I agree he'll see limited snaps Sunday, but the idea is to rotate the big guys anyhow, so even if he started, he wouldn't be playing every down. People are making too much of a deal about this. He'll play. If he sticks to his assignments and plays well, he'll play some more. If he starts free-lancing or dialing it in, he'll be riding the pine. Really, except for when you are playing for Jim Zorn, isn't that true with every player?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 10, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

"If this guy were a backup or marginal starter, he'd already be gone. He is what I thought he was. The organization and the AH apologists need to get with the program and get this guy out. He's not gonna wake up one day buying in...we're going into Week 1. If he hasn't bought in yet, he's not going to. Nor is he going to be dominant without the proper conditioning/knowledge of the defense. This is common sense, not rocket science...

Posted by: brownwood26"

You seem to think that he's either got to be the most dominant player on the field at all times, or he has to pack his bag an leave.

Why does it have to be one or the other?

Ok, he is who you thought he was. That's still better than 90% of the players on the roster, and still an effective player who could have a defined role with this defense.

I'm not backing Haynesworth in this situation, but tossing Haynesworth aside for spiteful reasons would be beyond irrational.

Posted by: psps23 | September 10, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

"Which Jackson, Tito or Marlon?

Shout out to Randy...

Posted by: RedDMV | September 10, 2010 11:16 AM |

As long as it's not Jesse.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 10, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Truth be told anybody that knows football can see that he is by far our best pass rushing lineman. Despite his off field antics he is a force on the defensive line and it would be idiotic to not give him significant playing time against dallas. For everybody that wants to send him packing I haven't seen anybody answer the question of who can we bring into replace him.

Posted by: RealOne1 | September 10, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

No, I heard it was Randy Jackson, he's gonna gain his weight back and be Haynesworth's replacement. Besides, he needs something else to do in between American Idol seasons.

Posted by: monk811 | September 10, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

LOL.....I don't think Randy Thomas can take a double team.

Posted by: RealOne1 | September 10, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

BEEEP!!! Except Cowpie fans, you can stay here and talk amongst your dumb selves.

Posted by: monk811 | September 10, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 10, 2010 11:00 AM

Redskins history is just that history. Skins haven't been relevant going on 20 years son. The best team wins the SB almost all of the time. Lot of HOFers played on SB winning teams. The Skins are the rare exception. The dlineman on this team save for AH are ordinary (Carriker may be decent playing next to a Haynesworth). But the Skins aren't winning a thing counting on Kemo, Golston, Daniels and a rookie to hold the line in a 3-4.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 10, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Star Pride!!

Posted by: BigBlueStar | September 10, 2010 10:07 AM

____________________________________

you've been smokin too early you retard.

"beloved across america" HAHAHAHAHAHA Cowgirl fans like you who have a mind of a 6 yr old is what makes your team choking in big stage games like this Sunday.

you're probably not even from Texas and just woke up one day and decided to be a Cowgirl fan. don't worry Tony Homo will get to kiss the ground this Sunday with his makeshift line.

GO SKINS!!!

Posted by: datruth21 | September 10, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

"Mayor Make Em Wrong" strikes again with his negativity. Yo! Mayor . . . Write for the fans! . . . nor for your ego.

Posted by: rmblocher | September 10, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

All of the headaches we have had to endure are the price we have (grudgingly) had to pay for having Albert on this team. Now comes the big payoff. Real games with Albert busting throughout the middle and crushing the other team.

Why would you not put him in there? It's already paid for. Let's reap the benefit now.

Posted by: lemming | September 10, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: lemming | September 10, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Sorry about the post...post

Posted by: lemming | September 10, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

"...tossing Haynesworth aside for spiteful reasons would be beyond irrational."
Posted by: psps23

Sure, but there are also some pretty rational motives for getting rid of him. In order:

1) he becomes a major distraction. This is not entirely his fault, but it's a simple reality, and as Riggins said on Dan Patrick, a distraction is what all coaches say they want to avoid.

2) he's not about to change, as he's made abundantly clear -- welfare of the team be damned.

3) he's already been paid, and if you're going to sue him to get some of the $$ back (a distinct long shot, that), then he better not be on the roster when you do.

4) he's something of an embarrassment to Snyder. A relic of a profligate recent past, let's call it. Long as Albert's around to remind everyone what an idiot the owner was.

Of course it would be great if 1) you could get some exceptional value in trade, say a first round choice in 2012, or 2) Albert would decide to play his heart out for at least a few series every game. No question the Skins would be a better club if something like that happened.

Then again, if wishes were horses...

Posted by: Samson151 | September 10, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

"according to NFL officials" = Vinny Cerrato?

Posted by: wbbradb | September 10, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

"The Redskins' other defensive line**man** are not as good as Haynesworth, a two-time all-pro, at getting into the backfield."

Which one is as good?

And seriously, the drive-by, last line, meaningless editorializing has to stop.

"Regardless of what has occurred between Haynesworth and the Redskins to this point, Haynesworth is a big-stage player. They need to let him on it against the Cowboys."

USEful. Thanks for that. Please cancel my subscription. ;^)

Posted by: WorstSeat | September 10, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 10, 2010 10:12 AM

That's a die-hard fan for ya...referencing an obscure back-up from the 80's and all. Did they even make a replica jersey for Nick Giaquinto back then? You must have bought a blank jersey and ironed on the numbers and letters yourself. Good work!

Posted by: RiggosRangers73 | September 10, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

big blue star (pentagram). Your star represents satanic forces. It is in fact a pentagram. The pukeboys are not America's Team. Check up on your facts. Washington D.C. is our Nations Capital and naturally the Redskins are America's Team. The only thing dallas is know for is the assinations of United States Presidents and wanting to seceed from our awesome Country. And as far as getting it done you haven't even won a playoff game until last year in the past 15 years!!! I would rather be a losing Redskin than a winning pukeboy fan not that you guys can even pull that off!!!

Posted by: Redskinintexas | September 10, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Hey BigBlueStar- The Skins most likely won't go to the playoffs this year, they most likely won't even beat the Cowgirls this Sunday, but I am still going to once again enjoy seeing your "America's team" once again choke and get humiliated in the playoffs.

Posted by: WECnDC | September 10, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Don't kid yourself Hainsworth is a beast if you can get him to play...the guy hates football. loves $$$$ with ZERO INTEGRITY

Posted by: LongTimeSkinsFan | September 10, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse