Albert Haynesworth is happy with his role

Coming off his biggest game of the season, defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth said he's happy with his new role in the defense and doesn't mind coming off the bench to contribute.
Though Haynesworth is still taking practice reps as a nose tackle in the 3-4 defense -- also called the "Okie" -- the Redskins have decided to use him primarily as a pass rusher, playing mostly a three-technique tackle in the nickel packages.

"We just kept working at the Okie, and I wasn't coming along to be able to be the starter and some of that stuff," Haynesworth said in a rare meeting with reporters Thursday. "I was like, hey, let me just focus on the stuff that I know, and then you'll see a lot more production out of me."

Haynesworth said he and coaches began to discuss changing his role just a couple of weeks into the regular season. Both sides seemed to agree that Haynesworth wasn't contributing as much as anyone would like in the 3-4 base. Asked whether he minds that seven weeks into the season, he's still not starting, Haynesworth said: "I'm not good enough to play the 3-4. We got a guy in front of me who could play the 3-4 better than I can. So whatever helps the team."

In the 3-4, Haynesworth had gap responsibilities in the run game and was required to move laterally a lot. But he's played his entire career as a 4-3 tackle and prefers to move straight ahead. He said the change to a 3-4 never felt natural to him.

"It's just your reaction is a whole lot slower," he said. "You want to attack, and if you try to attack in this defense and you running the Okie, you're going to look real bad and you're going to get gashed."

The Redskins switched to the 3-4 defense in the offseason. Haynesworth never liked the change and butted heads with management over his role. Even though he'll likely appear in nickel packages, Haynesworth showed last week at Chicago that he can still have a big impact.

"The whole goal was to win games, to put the best people on the field. At the Okie, I don't think I'm one of the best players at that. In the nickel, I think I am," Haynesworth said. "That's what we came to because we all want to win games. We want to go far into the season - hopefully to the Super Bowl."

By Rick Maese  | October 28, 2010; 11:48 AM ET
Categories:  Albert Haynesworth
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Lions' big moment seems like a long time ago
Next: Lions confident in plan, even at 1-5

Comments

I feel bad for whoever has to go up against a motivated Haynesworth!

Posted by: skins83 | October 28, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

I feel bad for whoever has to go up against a motivated Haynesworth!

Posted by: skins83 | October 28, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

I feel bad for whoever has to go up against a motivated Haynesworth!

Posted by: skins83 | October 28, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Sounds as if trading this guy in the offseason is still the story that will never end.

Posted by: bangkokben | October 28, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

You have to keep him now. He's been paid most of the money. And, when he's in there, he's a Gorilla.

Posted by: MadeRED | October 28, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

"But he's played his entire career as a 4-3 tackle and prefers to move straight ahead. He said the change to a 3-4 never felt natural to him."

Talk about highlighting the obvious...I mean, if he's only ever done one thing of course change won't feel natural. That's why you show up and PRACTICE your new role before you just trot onto the field all willy-nilly with no concept of the defense.

Whateves...water under the bridge. He balled out on Sunday and hopefully he keeps it up. Kind of a shame the highest paid player on the team is just a part-time pass rush specialist though...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 28, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

There's no cap this year and he's not a cap liability next year. Keep him healthy and happy and take what we can get from him on the field over the next year and a half. When he's on, he makes his teammates better.

Posted by: rich20ssu | October 28, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

The Albert just needed a little structure and direction..He should be fine now..

Posted by: frak | October 28, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Happy-Hayney

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | October 28, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

AH blew it up last week. I say keep it that way. If he's doing good, why complain about him? We'll c after this weekend, how many ppl r still talkin bad about AH.

Posted by: robzombie | October 28, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Hey, where's PlayAction with that hard-thought prediction? This better be good!

Posted by: monk811 | October 28, 2010 11:47 AM

Sorry for the delay...my number crunching machine has been a tad bit off the past few weeks...so I decided to take it to the shop for a tuneup...the mechanic said it should be ready around 5...but you know how they are. I was really concerned this morning when it predicted Redskins 41, Lions 6...I'll post my lock-tight, fool-proof, 100% guaranteed prediction by 10am tomorrow morning.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 28, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

That dude was out of the play, but if anyone can afford this fine, it would be AH. If I recall correctly, that hit must of pissed Webb off because he was flagged for a personal foul on that play.

==============

Is Albert Haynesworth next in NFL's $50,000 fine club?

Posted by Michael David Smith on October 28, 2010 12:24 PM ET
Redskins defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth had his best game of the year in Sunday's win over the Bears. But one particular play could result in the highly paid Haynesworth getting a hefty fine from the league office.

The play in question came on DeAngelo Hall's 92-yard interception return touchdown, when Haynesworth peeled back and drilled Bears offensive lineman J'Marcus Webb, hitting Webb with a shoulder to the chest and sending Webb flying to the ground.

Michael Lombardi of NFL.com wrote about the play and posted the video, and on Inside the NFL Lombardi referred to Webb as a "defenseless player" on the play and said that Haynesworth should expect a big fine.

"I think the league's going to put him in the $50,000 club," Lombardi said. "Albert Haynesworth belongs in there."

Lombardi (who was making his comments while sitting next to Warren Sapp, who famously drilled Chad Clifton on an interception return in 2002) apparently believes Haynesworth violated rule 2, section 2, article 8(e), which outlaws "unnecessarily running, diving into, cutting, or throwing the body against or on a player who (i) is out of the play or (ii) should not have reasonably anticipated such contact by an oppponent, before or after the ball is dead."

It basically comes down to whether you think Webb was out of the play or shouldn't have reasonably anticipated that Haynesworth would hit him, and I disagree with Lombardi because I think Webb was still in the play and should have anticipated getting hit. Yes, it's true that Webb wasn't going to catch Hall from behind, but he was still running down the field in an attempt to catch Hall from behind, and in that situation, I think it's reasonable for Haynesworth to block Webb.

In fact, Redskins coach Mike Shanahan (who was once Lombardi's boss) specifically praised Haynesworth's effort on that play.

"The first thing that I look for in anybody is somebody that plays 100 percent on every play," Shanahan said.

We'll find out soon if the league office agrees that Haynesworth was just going 100 percent until the whistle, or if Haynesworth has committed an infraction that will cost him $50,000.

Posted by: Curzon417 | October 28, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: robzombie | October 28, 2010 12:19 PM |

I wouldn't say he blew it up. He had about 4 very good plays but also was in when Forte had 2 15+ yard gains. Haney played well but I am not prepared to say he was the only DT on Earth that could have made those few plays - but he did and I am happy for that.

Keep in mind, it's not as much anymore that dislikes the 3-4 as it is as much that he's not effective in the 3-4.

I think a few people here should temper their enthusiasm and be happy that we have another talented DT that we can rotate into the game.

Remember, the Bears can't block anyone so we really should have done more in my humble opinion. The G-Spots had 9 sacks and I think we had 5 (Haney 1, 'Rak 2, can't remember the others).

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | October 28, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: robzombie | October 28, 2010 12:19 PM

Because you need more than just one really good game against one really bad O-line to win people back after a year and a half of MASSIVE underachievement. TO hasn't had a real blow up in two years and you see how people still view him...

If AH plays like he did on Sunday the rest of the year, you'll see some of the "hate" subside. But if he's suckin' oxygen on the sidelines again, then he is who we thought he was.

Trust me...I want the guy to ball out and EARN his money. I'm just not going to expect it until I see it become a habit instead of an occurence.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 28, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Curzon417 | October 28, 2010 12:28 PM |

I think Happy-Haney has that in the ashtray of his Rolls Royce.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | October 28, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Just read that on PFT, Curzon...AH just can't catch a break (eye roll)...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 28, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

So the question remains... Why are the Skins trying to run an Okie 3-4? We should have stuck with the 4-3. It actually appears that very little straight up 3-4 is being played by the Skins. Instead we are saying we play a 3-4 base but we are tweaking it more often than not to play it like a 4-3 which has been killed by the run, especially by the Colts. I'm still having a tough time figuring out this one. The guys that are supposedly better than AH in the base defense are still getting blown off the ball.

Posted by: Jurgensen9 | October 28, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

What the hell is a "three technique tackle?"

Posted by: truke | October 28, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

A 3 technique tackle plays an outside shade on the offensive guard and typically has responsibility for that outside gap called the "B" gap.

Posted by: Jurgensen9 | October 28, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

What the hell is a "three technique tackle?"

Posted by: truke | October 28, 2010 12:35 PM

Impact, grab, and lift player onto the ground.

High school football 101. At least when I played.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | October 28, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

What the hell is a "three technique tackle?"

Posted by: truke | October 28, 2010 12:35 PM |

Outside Shoulder. If you're looking straight at a lineman, one is left shoulder/shade, 2 is head to head and 3 is outside eye/shoulder/shade.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | October 28, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Jurgensen9 | October 28, 2010 12:34 PM

We have more takeaways in the first 7 games than we had in all 16 games last year. THAT'S why.

And 3-4 teams only have that alignment in their base form. Nickel and dime packages usually feature 4 down lineman anyway, so it's only a big deal when they play the "base" formation. With teams like the Colts, Packers, and Cowboys on the schedule--teams that fancy themselves passing teams--running the 3-4 is basically moot IMO, as we'll end up in the nickel/dime packages a lot anyway.

All in all, this D is what I thought it would be...a unit that will surrender more yards, but take the ball away more--averaging out to about middle of the road.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 28, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

What the hell is a "three technique tackle?"

Posted by: truke | October 28, 2010 12:35 PM

Impact, grab, and lift player onto the ground.

High school football 101. At least when I played.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | October 28, 2010 12:39 PM |

Still trying to figure out how you lift someone onto the ground.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | October 28, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

What the hell is a "three technique tackle?"

Posted by: truke | October 28, 2010 12:35 PM

Not sure, but I do know the five technique is Dodge, Dip, Duck, Dive and Dodge.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 28, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

What the hell is a "three technique tackle?"

Posted by: truke | October 28, 2010 12:35 PM

Not sure, but I do know the five technique is Dodge, Dip, Duck, Dive and Dodge.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 28, 2010 12:45 PM |

I know there is someone in here who is a master at the #2 technique.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | October 28, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

O-sack-po interviewed by Moseley over at ESPN about an hour ago..

"It was embarrassing," Orakpo said this morning. "For us to go in there talking about the playoffs and being from the NFC East ... it was very embarrassing. We're looking for retribution. And we're not letting their record affect our thought process, because that's a good team."

Posted by: swowra | October 28, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Still trying to figure out how you lift someone onto the ground.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | October 28, 2010 12:44 PM

That's why that technique is so difficult.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 28, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

We have more takeaways because of the aggressiveness we are playing defense rather than the alignment and most of our turnovers have come from the nickle and dime packages. We are playing a lot more zone and zone blitz packages. I like all of that but you don't win in the NFL East on a consistent basis until you can stop the run. Last year we played with a couple of big tackles and a true middle linebacker to plug the middle. There is no way that this years personell is as good with a 3-4 base as last years was with a 4-3 base.

Posted by: brownwood26 |

Posted by: Jurgensen9 | October 28, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Albert Haynesworth is happy with his role
Rick Maese

"No your role, and SHUT your mouth!"
The Rock

Posted by: monk811 | October 28, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Know = No

Wow Play, late today??? You should try being on time next time, you missed a good little discussion about McNabb and Grossman. Guess which one Reid wants to start?

Posted by: monk811 | October 28, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

"No your role, and SHUT your mouth!"
The Rock

Posted by: monk811 | October 28, 2010 12:51 PM

Yep...and I can smell what he's cookin...look out for the People's Elbow!

Posted by: PlayAction | October 28, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | October 28, 2010 12:54 PM

That was sooooooo yesterday monk...haha

Posted by: PlayAction | October 28, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Hey, where's PlayAction with that hard-thought prediction? This better be good!

Posted by: monk811 | October 28, 2010 11:47 AM

Posted by: PlayAction | October 28, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

I kinda like 41-6, that should be your go-to score now!

Posted by: monk811 | October 28, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Still trying to figure out how you lift someone onto the ground.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | October 28, 2010 12:44 PM |

I could do it to you in half a second. I'd drop you on your head or ass.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | October 28, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Michael Lombardi = Fat F*ckin NERD!

Mind your own business fatty!!!

Posted by: monk811 | October 28, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Still trying to figure out how you lift someone onto the ground.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | October 28, 2010 12:44 PM |

I could do it to you in half a second. I'd drop you on your head or arse.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | October 28, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

I kinda like 41-6, that should be your go-to score now!

Posted by: monk811 | October 28, 2010 12:59 PM

I know...I like it too...but in light of our final scores through the first seven games...it's probably not a good bet this season...hell I've been over-shootin at 24-20!

Posted by: PlayAction | October 28, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like Hanyesworth has already mastered the okey-doke himself. Reminds me of a spoiled child who learns early on how to get out of doing chores... do an abysmal job at them and you won't get asked to do it again.

Posted by: CarbonChauvinist | October 28, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Stop complaining about the 3-4, folks. This is a rebuilding year. Though Shanahan or Snyder would never admit it, expectations around Redskins Park were NOT high going into this year.

The 3-4 is a great scheme with the right people. Think Ravens and Steelers. The Redskins will get the right people over time. All the people clamoring for the 4-3 seem to have forgotten the 4-12 record.

This year's D has already matched last year's takeaway total. Is it any wonder the team has also matched last year's win total? Takeaways + LOS domination = Wins. So far, they're getting the takeaways. Next step is the lines. 2 good drafts should do that.

Then, and only then, will high expectations be reasonable. Until then, be happy with a team of committed proffesionals.

Posted by: McLobo | October 28, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

I think we need to hang onto McNabb. Holding on to McNabb and developing a young quarterback do not need to be mutually exclusive. Having veteran leadership around would be valuable to any rookie coming in, and the team would be wise to let any young QB wait in the wings for awhile. Personally, I think McNabb brings more to the table than throwing the football.

Posted by: RedSkinHead

wanted to address this point ... I largely agree with it ....

but...

McNabb has mentioned Peyton Manning and his contract -- and implying that they are somehow linked. When Peyton gets his deal done, it helps set the value for McNabb. McNabb also keeps likening himself to Brady as well.

I just don't think Donovan is anywhere close to the guys he sees as his peers. If he's hoping for anything close to Peyton or Brady money, I think we need to let him move on. Re-signing Donovan is a yes -- if the price is right.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 28, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Still trying to figure out how you lift someone onto the ground.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | October 28, 2010 12:44 PM |

I could do it to you in half a second. I'd drop you on your head or ass.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | October 28, 2010 1:02 PM |

Is that before or after you snort an 8-ball and then smoke a 20-piece?

I have a feeling that anyone who efforts to lift someone onto the ground might not be in my league - in more ways than one.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | October 28, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

WOW. AH said that? Team player and no longer a "me-me-me" dude? That's awesome. If this is for real, the Shanny's plan worked and this guy finally helps the team. Also, though, sounds like the coaches realized that a happy 4-3 AH is better than a sulky 3-4 AH. Good for them to stop trying to fit a round peg in a square hole.... Hail

Posted by: mustang_johnny1 | October 28, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Frankly, I am amazed that it is Thursday already and we're only just now seeing our first Haynesworth post. Maybe Reid is tyring to overcome his Haynesworth obsession.

BTW, Haynesworth did great against some struggling offensive linemen last week. Not sure about the quality of the Lions' offensive line, but looking at the number of QB's they have had injured I suspect they aren't much, so unchain the big guy! Bring out the gimp!

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 28, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

here's what NFL fanhouse says about the skins in the NFC (rated them 7th):

"Has McNabb been much better than Jason Campbell was in the 4-12 2009 season? Not really. The Redskins still have most of the deficiencies of last year's team. The difference is Mike Shanahan and especially Jim Haslett. Shanahan has turned ex-Bronco Ryan Torain into a very serviceable running back. Haslett's defense is next to last in the league allowing 408 yards a game, but just 13th in points allowed. "Bend but don't break,'' which especially helps when you get fumbles at your own 1 and interceptions that are returned 92 yards for a score."

Posted by: mustang_johnny1 | October 28, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mustang_johnny1 | October 28, 2010 1:17 PM

True Dat!

Posted by: PlayAction | October 28, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

"The Right might want to be a bit more forgiving of the Left as a new study reveals the existence of a 'liberal gene' —proving it really is in their blood"

I knew there was a reason why Cork is so pathetic. Thought at first it was because his mommy and daddy didn't hug him enough as a baby, or because someone with a job or business stole his girlfreind from him.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | October 28, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

now that haynesworth is "there" or where the franchise wants him to be playing wise

it's all about maintaining now

no setbacks

and that's going to be difficult

im looking forward to renewing the rivalry w/ the giants by beating them, though the task is tough, so f-in what, what else are we doing here?
beat philly
beat dallas

and on sunday smoke the lions like a blunt

Posted by: retroskins14 | October 28, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

2 quick points:

1) AH and the coaches have come to an understanding. That's all anyone can as for. Not sure how much difference there is to NT and DT on a 4-3...possibly the same difference to FS and SS.

2) Not sure what Lombardi is getting at. All players a told to chase the play, therefore AH should be able to block a player chasing the play. Ya never know what could happen on the play. If AH had just stood there and watched as Webb et all chased Hall, Lombardi would have that video as proof the AH was still slouching in that game.

Posted by: TWISI | October 28, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

here's what NFL fanhouse says about the skins in the NFC (rated them 7th):

Posted by: mustang_johnny1 | October 28, 2010 1:17 PM |

This is what you get when you have some Dooshy McDoosh pulling up stats rather than watching games.

I'll take crappy stats while basking in the satisfaction that McNabb has been an upgrade in terms of stretching the field and actually leading (or close to leading) the league in deep pass completions - something 'Soup couldn't do - while matching last years win total by week 7.

No one is mentioning that the ENTIRE TEAM is in YEAR ONE of a new system.

In the immortal words of Adam Sandler from the Hanukkah song...."Not too shabby."

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | October 28, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

No one has criticized Albert more than I on this site but by God, maybe he has been right about how best to use him . The Redskins wanted him to be a rock and he knew he was a great locomotive.

Posted by: pd2710 | October 28, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: smokeybear2 | October 28, 2010 1:02 PM |

Is that before or after you snort an 8-ball and then smoke a 20-piece?

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | October 28, 2010 1:15 PM

Before and after, bro. What is your league? Trust me. It would be no effort to lift you to the ground.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | October 28, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

These comments from the NFC Beast blog reiterate what I said yesterday. Orakap is going to light it up for being embarrassed in last years loss.

Haslett wont be stupid enough to have him on coverage late in the game.

"I just hung up the phone with Redskins Pro Bowl outside linebacker Brian Orakpo, who said last year's 19-14 loss to the Detroit Lions is something he's thought about quite a bit this week as he prepares for Sunday's rematch. The Lions had lost 19 consecutive games heading into that Week 3 matchup last season. "

Posted by: Devo2 | October 28, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 28, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

I heard Reid's mouse was broken so he couldn't cut and paste, he actually had to rely on good reporting skills! I know, I cracked a smile too when I typed it!
So obviously his mouse has been fixed, thanks for another Haynesworth article slacker!

Posted by: monk811 | October 28, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pd2710 | October 28, 2010 1:28 PM

No one questioned Fat Albert's talent in a system he'd played his entire football life. The issue was and always has been an attitude, maturity and commitment one. There might be like 2 starters on D that are great fits for the 3-4, the other guys worked at it. Haney didn't want to work at it. His talent level has never changed and if his play of late can be attributed to anything, it's 1.) Shanny whipped his lardbutt into shape and 2.) Haney is ONLY efficient when he gets to go straight ahead.

He's still a doosh.....but he's our doosh so I am rooting for us to win less than him shining.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | October 28, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Is this worth a fine?

Haynesworth peeled back and drilled Bears offensive lineman J'Marcus Webb

Football without the occasional hard, violent play is kinda like trying to get drunk from a case of O'Doul's near beer.

Very filling.

Not satisfying.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 28, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: smokeybear2 | October 28, 2010 1:30 PM |

Fantastic, a "Blogging Fonzie". Yeah, meet me in the parking lot at 2:20pm.

What a f a g.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | October 28, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 28, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | October 28, 2010 1:33 PM

Well its the 5th since Sundays game...but who's counting...well below average anyways.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 28, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

This team was built to win now. We are a pretty veteran team and Shanny isn't here for a 3 year rebuild. With the possible exception of Orakpo, none of our other front 7 is exceptional in a 3-4 base. Orakpo makes most of his plays while playing the role of a pass rushing 4-3 defensive end to boot and other than him, none of these guys play in the base defense for either the Steelers or the Ravens. I still think we've weakened our defense in the short term with this move if the goal is to win and win now.

*****

Posted by: McLobo | October 28, 2010 1:12 PM

Posted by: Jurgensen9 | October 28, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

This post about Albert is kind of remarkable.

Albert has NEVER been an every down player. I've said that its important to use him where he can make the most difference. He's 30-40 snaps a game (last I checked, our defense is out there 70 something snaps a game).

I suggested the opening plays of a series -- see if he can force a 3 and out. On 3rd downs. And in the red zone. That is where he brings value.

Well, he made a huge red zone play and was a force on the pass rush -- his sack came on .... 3rd down.

Its not complicated -- use your guy with game changing talent in situations where he can make game changing plays.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 28, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Hey, EASY, fellas.

Nobody's lifting ANYBODY onto the ground around here.

We're all Redskin fans, OK?

Now, just knock it off.

Besides, it's difficult to lift anyone onto the ground unless you're in a ditch, and nobody's suggesting anybody is in a ditch.

Let's keep it cool.

Posted by: Thinker_ | October 28, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Fantastic, a "Blogging Fonzie". Yeah, meet me in the parking lot at 2:20pm.

What a f a g.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | October 28, 2010 1:38 PM

Blogging Fonzie...I like that. You? A blogging Ferris Bueller.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | October 28, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Haynesworth Happy With His Roll

"Hey, this is a good roll, Dude."

"Is this buttermilk? It tastes like buttermilk."

"Mmmmmm."

Posted by: Thinker_ | October 28, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

When AH is happy, I suspect that we'll all, as Skins fans, be happy.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | October 28, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Ahhhhhh...yes...a ditch...of course!

Posted by: PlayAction | October 28, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Fantastic, a "Blogging Fonzie". Yeah, meet me in the parking lot at 2:20pm.

What a f a g.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | October 28, 2010 1:38 PM

Blogging Fonzie...I like that. You? A blogging Ferris Bueller.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | October 28, 2010 1:47 PM |

Let me know when you're done sounding like a total bag of doosh. I know none of us (I assume) know each other so what's the point in explaining that I have likely stepped on tougher people on my way to a real battle. It's just useless.

If you're able to lift people onto the ground as you describe as football 101, maybe it's because you are regularly driven a couple feet into the ground and that's really your only option.

If you don't mind, I'd like to save my aggression for my workouts and for when your mother drunk dials me.

Many thanks Skippy.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | October 28, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

When AH is happy, I suspect that we'll all, as Skins fans, be happy.

Posted by: smokeybear2

I rather AH be angry. When he's happy, fat and dumb seem to find him pretty quickly

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 28, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CarbonChauvinist |

Enough with bashing AH already. Do you really know this guy? DR Phil?

Posted by: ged0386 | October 28, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Fantastic, a "Blogging Fonzie". Yeah, meet me in the parking lot at 2:20pm.

What a f a g.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | October 28, 2010 1:38 PM

Blogging Fonzie...I like that. You? A blogging Ferris Bueller.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | October 28, 2010 1:47 PM |

Many thanks Skippy.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | October 28, 2010 1:54 P

How old are both or you, 15? Whats next, my wiener is bigger than your wiener? Grow up boys.

Posted by: ged0386 | October 28, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

"I have likely stepped on tougher people on my way to a real battle."

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | October 28, 2010 1:54 PM

Oh. You are a combat Veteran. My apology.

WWII, Vietnam, Gulf I, OIF, or OAF?

Posted by: smokeybear2 | October 28, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

I must have said it a dozen times in the preseason.

You don't ask Larry Fitzgerald to be your blocking TE.

Albert Haynesworth is really good at doing something; let the man do it and everyone is happy.

Posted by: p1funk | October 28, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Schemes aren't great, in and of themselves. If they were, there would be one dominant scheme and that would be it.

Some schemes are great fits for the personnel you have. While others---aren't.

More specifically, some schemes better accent a team's players' strengths, and hide those players' deficiencies.

It always puzzles me why so many folks seem to believe that it is the scheme, and not the players or coaches and their adjustments that are what make good defense happen.

Posted by: ThinkingMan | October 28, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Haynesworth Happy With His Roll

"Hey, this is a good roll, Dude."

"Is this buttermilk? It tastes like buttermilk."

"Mmmmmm."

Posted by: Thinker_

Bet you would not say that to his face. Nor could you block him. Not to mention he could spend your life savings and earnings in a day. So feel free to make fun of him on a blog. You are soo much better than he is.

Posted by: ged0386 | October 28, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CarbonChauvinist |

Did you equally rip Andre Carter who failed to convert to OLB, and went to the coaches asking them to put him back as a hands-down DE where he's more comfortable?

Posted by: p1funk | October 28, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Well its the 5th since Sundays game...but who's counting.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 28, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

NERD!

Posted by: monk811 | October 28, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Well its the 5th since Sundays game...but who's counting.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 28, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

NERD!

Posted by: monk811 | October 28, 2010 2:06 PM

Watch it monk...or I'll lift you onto the ground!

Posted by: PlayAction | October 28, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

WWII, Vietnam, Gulf I, OIF, or OAF?

Posted by: smokeybear2 | October 28, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Star Wars vs. Star Trek convention..

Posted by: ga8085 | October 28, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ged0386 | October 28, 2010 2:04 PM |

Good One! Thanks for defending Albert from those who would poke fun at his eating habits. Let me guess:

You are obese, too?

No problem, dude. Might I suggest some 600 yard shuttles?

Or maybe shut it, mind your own business, and go get another tub of ice cream... or is it biscuits?

I WOULD say it to his face, actually... As long as I had room to run. Or some impartial witnesses. Taking a beating from Albert Haynesworth might finally put me on Easy Street for a change.

PS - Suck it, Dude.

Posted by: Thinker_ | October 28, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Watch it monk...or I'll lift you onto the ground!

Posted by: PlayAction | October 28, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Careful yourself, I'll have to lower you into the air!

Posted by: monk811 | October 28, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Watch it monk...or I'll lift you onto the ground!

Posted by: PlayAction | October 28, 2010 2:13 PM

Nice, nice, nice.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | October 28, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CarbonChauvinist |

Posted by: p1funk |

Better than that does the poster hold themselves to the same standard when they are ask to do something they are not familiar or comfortable doing at there job? If you are a tax lawyer and someone ask you a question regarding landlord and tenant law, do you give them advise or do you refer them to a lawyer that knows that field better. Do dentist make good podiatrist? They both are doctors. But one fixes teeth better than they can fix feet. But hey bloggers think because you make millions you should be expected to do any and everything ask of you. And in some cases they may be right. But not in all cases.

Posted by: ged0386 | October 28, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Haynesworth: "Hey, can somebody lift my roll onto the ground?"

"My belly's in the way and I can't pick it up. I guess I over-buttered it."

ged0386: "Tell ya what Albert: If I can get down there and get it, I'll split it with ya, how's that sound?"

Posted by: Thinker_ | October 28, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Careful yourself, I'll have to lower you into the air!

Posted by: monk811 | October 28, 2010 2:15 PM

Hahahaha...where the hell is hessone...my day just isn't right until he ITAs me.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 28, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Careful yourself, I'll have to lower you into the air!

Posted by: monk811 | October 28, 2010 2:15 PM

Paratropper? Gymnastics?

Nice, nice, nice.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | October 28, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

ged0386 = The Blog Conscience

Or just some moron lacking the knowledge of the basic structural elements of the English language who will not let that stop them from blogging away as if they have something to share.

Hey, dimwit, Know Your Roll (buttermilk or sourdough)

Albert Haynesworth has put more money in stripper's g-strings and child support checks than you will ever earn in your life.

Imagine how many biscuits you could buy with those child support checks. (Careful not to short out your keyboard with drool while imagining)

Posted by: Thinker_ | October 28, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

You are obese, too?

No problem, dude. Might I suggest some 600 yard shuttles?

PS - Suck it, Dude.

Posted by: Thinker_ | October 28, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

How did you guess? I am a fat dude who is overly sensitive to people making fun of big people. Hope that makes you feel better about my blog. I will start those 600 yard sprints right after that one more tub of ice cream. Now lets stereotype you. "Suck it" is a term from the old WWF days. So should I assume you are some uneducated big belly goober with a dirty truckers cap and plaid flannel shirt on with the sleeves cut off that talks like Early from the squidbillies? I can except your image of me if you do the same..

Posted by: ged0386 | October 28, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ged0386 | October 28, 2010 2:27 PM

Kinda got you there Thinker.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | October 28, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Star Wars vs. Star Trek convention..

Posted by: ga8085 | October 28, 2010 2:14 PM

Such a thing? Where do I sign up?

Posted by: smokeybear2 | October 28, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Double beeps

Posted by: PlayAction | October 28, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

I blew this guy up, heh heh verbally, I'll leave physically to you, thanks.

Not over ability, though, but attitude.

We have this standard mindset: you paid the money, do what I tell you. When you let the talent play to what it does best is when the talent earns the money. That was what made the Skins great, when they were: people did what they did best. If this is his niche - and if the Bears game is only the start of what he does in that niche - the Skins just got their investment back.

And how often do you hear somebody that's been woodshedded like Haynesworth do anything but act like a bigger idiot? He's manning up. This may not be good news for the rest of the NFC East.

Posted by: poorskins | October 28, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

He's happy with his role, or is that roll? Nice ham and cheese biscuit roll, smothered in gravy, now that's what Albert's talking about!

Posted by: 44fx2901 | October 28, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

WWII, Vietnam, Gulf I, OIF, or OAF?

Posted by: smokeybear2 | October 28, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

I guess Korea really is the 'forgotten war'. And what exactly is OAF (other than you)? Perhaps you meant OEF.

Posted by: leedisantis | October 28, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Happy with his role?? JR, you crazy.

It's unusual to hear a professional athlete say he's not good enough. That's how far Albert Haynesworth has sunk to keep from playing nose tackle in a 3-4 defense. "I'm not good enough to play the 3-4," Haynesworth said Thursday...
--From AP

Posted by: ozpunk | October 28, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Haynesworth finally happy with his new role.

Good for you Albert.. Honor yourself and your brother this season. Play hard and happy hunting!!

Posted by: 70chiponwhite | October 28, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Idiots,

this is supposed to be a football blog.....

Posted by: mustang_johnny1 | October 28, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

AH being a happy pass rusher is a whole better than an AH pulling a Jay Schroeder on the sideline. Isn't it time to start supporting AH, (unless you have the keys to the 'ol Time Machine and can go back and change the past). You don't have to invite him over for a corn hole toss, just see things for what they now are, and be glad for how things have worked out for the Skins, AH, and many Skins fans.

Posted by: MTalleyMon | October 28, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

AH being a happy pass rusher is a whole
"lot"...my bad

Posted by: MTalleyMon | October 28, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Jsuf | October 28, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

"This is outrageous. He is happy now? After getting a $100 Million contract he should be willing to play quarterback if they want. He is lazy."
----
That is your typical Washington DC answer to everything Albert. Fire Haslett!! The 3-4 sucks and all of you know it. You are just in denial. Talking about Albert finally coming around...puleeezz the idiot Skin fans and dumb arse coach needs to come around to realizing the 4-3 is best for this team. Heck...London Fletcher is having his worst Redskin season ever in this 3-4. We are next to last in defense and that only because Albert played 30 plus plays last week and help our stats improve. But, the good ole boy network continues in the NFL. Coaches sons all get jobs and then they recycle ex-coaches. Fire Haslett and go back to the 4-3!!!

Posted by: kentonsmith | October 28, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

I haven't seem more stupid coaching staff in the NFL like the Redskins, you have the best defencive tackle in the NFL in AH, you could have used him in Colts game and we could have won that game! this mistake in handling AH might cost us the play-offs!!

Posted by: ismailabdel7 | October 28, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ismailabdel7 | October 28, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

"London's a fine, steady and sturdy captain..He'll probably lead the player's union one day.."

Fine, steady and sturdy captains don't make good union leaders. You have to be a lying dog to be a union leader.

Posted by: bestmick1 | October 28, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Our two best defensive players(Haynesworth and Fletcher) are having mediocre seasons because some stupid coach says he wished the Skins D was like the Pittsburgh Steelers. Are you kidding me? Goes to show you how hypercrital this town can be. People in the past would have blasted our coaches for something like this.
But, because Albert is the one complaining our fans let Bruce Allen and Haslett off the hook. Fire Haslett!!! Our Defense is at the bottom for the first time in over a decade. What's wrong with this picture.

Posted by: kentonsmith | October 28, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse