Albert Haynesworth talks about time with Redskins in ESPN interview

Mike Shanahan has referenced several times a conversation he had with Albert Haynesworth, in which the Redskins coach says he told the controversial defensive lineman that if he accepted the team's $21 million bonus check, he'd be expected to do whatever was asked of him. In an ESPN interview Thursday, Haynesworth seemed to imply that he at least considered his options when the team cut the check on April 1.

"The check sat at my house for couple of weeks before I cashed it," Haynesworth said during an interview early Friday morning on "SportsCenter."

Haynesworth sat down with ESPN's Sara Walsh, formerly of WUSA-Channel 9, on Thursday, and said that his Redskins experience has "definitely been hard."

"It's very challenging with new scheme, from last year and even this year," he said. "It's been very challenging. But I haven't given up."

Haynesworth has been a lightning rod for criticism since skipping the team's offseason conditioning program, organized team activities and minicamps. Entering Week 4, he has yet to work his way into Shanahan's starting lineup, and he realizes that Washington fans probably have mixed feelings about him.

"Some people think I'm off my rocker," he said. "Some people think I'm just some guy who got a lot of money who doesn't want to do anything. I don't really know. Some people think I'm a nice guy. If you meet me, you'll understand that I am a good person."

Haynesworth again said that there are no problems with his relationship with Shanahan.

"Everybody thinks we're standing in a long hallway with gun holsters, and we're ready to draw on each other," he said. "But it's nothing like that. We're completely fine. I talk to him. It's very cordial. It's a fine relationship.'

By Rick Maese  | October 1, 2010; 6:00 AM ET
Categories:  Albert Haynesworth, Mike Shanahan
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins are last in red zone offense
Next: Redskins hope better defense will come to pass

Comments

Getting a spot on the FIRST team isn't attained by running your cakehole to the media. Just a thought, AH...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 1, 2010 6:35 AM | Report abuse

From John Clayton's mailbag on ESPN.com:

Q: I was wondering what you think of this potential trade: Steve Slaton to the Skins for Albert Haynesworth. The Skins get a speedy complement to Clinton Portis and a potential back for the future, and the Texans get another guy to put pressure on Peyton Manning. Slaton seems to have fallen out of favor and Haynesworth should be happy about playing in a 4-3 next to Mario Williams. What do you think?

Andrew in New Orleans

A: Nice try, but Redskins coach Mike Shanahan seems to be locked into getting nothing less than a second-round choice for Haynesworth. As a backup running back, Slaton wouldn't garner value. No trade. But let's look at the possibility of the Redskins giving up a draft choice for Slaton. That would work. He's played for offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan when Kyle was in Houston, and Slaton would add some needed speed to Washington's backfield.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 1, 2010 6:37 AM | Report abuse

I think that is about the most sense I have ever been ever to glean from Haynesworth's words, and in his own words, "Some people think I'm off my rocker. Some people think I'm just some guy who got a lot of money who doesn't want to do anything. I don't really know..." Fantastic. He's just a human like the rest of us and he occasionally makes stupid decisions. That, I can relate to.

Now, I hear we are playing a football team on Sunday with a scrambling quarterback and I want to know what the best way would be to contain him. I strongly suspect Michael Vick is faster than just about everyone in our secondary so it has to be about keeping him contained, doesn't it?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 1, 2010 7:29 AM | Report abuse

Trade AH for a practice bubble!

Posted by: stevek20147 | October 1, 2010 7:31 AM | Report abuse

brownwood26,
I think you posted that Slaton piece for a reason. Do you think the answer to the Redskins running woes is to bring in another back? Frankly, I don't think that is where the fix might be. Having said that, let me add, "Shanny didn't bring in Chad Simpson to watch from the sidelines every week".

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 1, 2010 7:33 AM | Report abuse

RSH, I put it up because it's Skins related stuff...not necessarily advocating for Slaton. It wouldn't hurt my feelings to see him in burgundy and gold...wouldn't hurt if I didn't either.

I'm just so numb to AH now...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 1, 2010 7:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 1, 2010 6:35 AM |

...unless your name is Hall or Portis.

Rick Maese has nothing except a rehashed ESPN interview? WaPo 'Skins coverage is the dump.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 1, 2010 7:47 AM | Report abuse

I'm just so numb to AH now...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 1, 2010 7:45 AM

AMEN! I have put so much mental Prep-H on that hemorrhoid that I don't even feel him anymore. I just know he is still there and I wish he would just go away!

Posted by: barrie1 | October 1, 2010 8:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26

The man has done two interviews: one on 106 the fan here in D.C. and the other on ESPN, and he's running his cakehole?

I could see if the guy went on a rant similar to that of "headaches", but dude was just talking about on the controversy surrounding him. No throwing anyone under the bus, no calling anyone out... yet you still let the AH hate seethe through your gums. Typical.

Funny thing about hate is most of the time you're the only one knows of your possessed hate. 50% of them don't know about it, the other 50 don't give a damn.

Why am I NOT surprised that you traded Haynesworth on Madden either? Should have kept him around; on my franchise 6 sacks through 11 games -- BEASTIN', son! Gotta use the "Balanced D" playbook to get the most out of him. He isn't that good in a 3-4 (surprise, surprise)

Posted by: RedDMV | October 1, 2010 8:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 1, 2010 6:35 AM |

...unless your name is Hall or Portis.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 1, 2010 7:47 AM
------------------------------------------
They are so clueless. They had a great background story staring them right in the face yesterday regarding the lack of a practice dome. They said "Gibbs didn't want one", but Snyder has owned the team through several coaches and not a one of them brought this up as a problem? Why wouldn't a guy like Moneybags Snyder spring for a practice dome?

And, getting back to what's going on on the field, why not talk about how Westbrook was a threat the Redskins' spent considerable time in preparing for in past seasons. How does the new Eagles running game compare?

And why not a piece on how the Eagles have managed personnel versus how the Redskins have managed personnel. The Eagles obviously have committed to the draft to rebuild their roster. The Redskins - in years past - have committed to free agency to patch holes. What philosophy has been more successful and why?

And, Vick has been overdone, let's talk about DeSean Jackson and how he has burned the Redskins in the past. Didn't he start the whole "double move" on Rogers fiasco last year? How do the Redskins contain him with a leaky pass defense?

And, what does it mean when the Redskins bring in two free agent receivers for try-outs? Obviously, Shanny is not happy with some elements of the passing game, but what diamond are they hoping to mine from the free agent ranks? Do they need more size at the receiver spot? More durability? More versatiliy (can the guy block, play teams, etc.)?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 1, 2010 8:05 AM | Report abuse

I guess those who were saying that TJ Housh likes to bump his gums have a point.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 1, 2010 8:06 AM | Report abuse

"Some people think I'm just some guy who got a lot of money who doesn't want to do anything." - Albert Haynesworth

Ooh, I do, I do!!!!

But might be willing to change my opinion with some killer play!

Posted by: monk811 | October 1, 2010 8:07 AM | Report abuse

If I remember correctly, the Redskins Def contained Vick very well under Greg Williams. If I were Has I'd look into those tapes to see how best to contain Vick. Grant it -- Vick is in a new offense and the Skins Def is in a new scheme. It couldn't hurt though...

Posted by: oh_boy1 | October 1, 2010 8:07 AM | Report abuse

TJ Who's-Your-Momma = Pony-Tailed NERD!

Posted by: monk811 | October 1, 2010 8:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | October 1, 2010 8:06 AM
------------------------------------------
Yep, he runs his mouth, but I have to agree with what he says: why'd they sign him if they didn't plan on using him? I really do think "doesn't know the playbook" and "doesn't run good routes" are code words in coach-speak for "I don't know how to use him".

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 1, 2010 8:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | October 1, 2010 7:47 AM

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 1, 2010 8:05 AM

"... I want two rations of bacon, I want a cup of coffee - BLACK and I want it NOW!!!"

Man, peeps. It's not even 9 AM, take it easy a little. Take a 800mg Motrin to help ease those shakes you guys are having from withdrawals.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 1, 2010 8:16 AM | Report abuse

yet you still let the AH hate seethe through your gums. Typical.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 1, 2010 8:02 AM

Where do you see hate? I said he's not doing himself any favors with Shanahan by talking to the media. Just because I didn't blow sunshine as a I said it doesn't make it "hate".

I said above that I'm numb to this guy now. I just wanna see something happen...get rid of him or play him. But this purgatory BS is making me weary.

As for Madden, I'm sticking with the 3-4 and I've learned that it really doesn't matter who you play on the D-line in that formation. So long as your OLBs are tight, you'll get pressure/sacks. So trading AH wasn't because of "hate" so much as I could get a high pick for him to replace the 2nd rounder I sent to SD for VJ. Carter got me a 3rd and Jarmon got me a 4th, so I have all my picks AND some new players that actually fit the 3-4. Total win-win.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 1, 2010 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | October 1, 2010 8:06 AM

You're just NOW seeing that? Dude has never met a mic he doesn't like...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 1, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of NTs

Jerrell Powe – NT 6'2 330– Mississippi
As more and more teams switch to the 3-4 defense, the value of nose tackles is starting to skyrocket. Players such as Powe figure to see their stock rise far higher than similar players in years past. He’s a physical presence on the interior line, capable of taking on multiple blockers and anchoring a defensive line.
NFL Comparison: Vince Wilfork

Haslett has made the comparison of playing a 3-4 without a legit NT is like playing baseball without a catcher. So I know it's early but this guy could be available in the 2nd.

I do however HATE Haynesworth. He's a disgrace and an embarrassment to wear the BnG.

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 1, 2010 8:29 AM | Report abuse

"... get rid of him or play him..." - brown

Co-sign.

On Madden I like the hybrid defense. 3-4, is cool, but I like the balanced D playbook because it plays to my philosophy on defense: Confusion via different formations and sets.

--------------------------------------------------------------

RSH, I really don't follow the Ravens, so I have no idea if he's taking reps with the 1st team or not, but considering how he's only been there for about a month, I would think it's just Flacco not being comfortable with him yet. As the season progresses he'll get his catches, but for now Flacco is probably more in sync with Boldin, Mason, and a back-from-the-dead Todd Heap.

Funny, a few years ago everyone had Heap as being "finished" and "done". Looks like his "demise" may have been a tad overestimated.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 1, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 1, 2010 8:29 AM | Report abuse

Quadruple Cosign

Posted by: monk811 | October 1, 2010 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | October 1, 2010 8:02 AM
Cosign

RSH fine list of topics for discussion, I'd like to see a post on any or all of those. Do you think the Mayor reads our commments?

Posted by: wireman65 | October 1, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Albert Haynesworth talks about time with Redskins in ESPN interview

ESPN: talk about your time as a redskin.

Haynesworth: They've paid me a lot and I have returned little on that investment.

ESPN: So, you're this week's Adam Archelueta?

Haynesworth: Something like that.

ESPN: How do you rank alongside Julius Peppers and Mario Williams?

Haynesworth: Is there some reason why you've put my name in the same sentence as those guys?

ESPN: How do you feel about the upcoming McNabb v. Vick game.

Haynesworth: Well, I'm kinda upset as they're getting more attention than me.

But I got Jason Reid on my side.

And he pays attention to me too much.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 1, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

The Ravens are just stacked at Receiver and Pass Catchers. How many balls do you think there are on a field? I mean it's like a fantasy league of receivers on 1 team: Boldin, Mason, Stallworth, Heap, and Who's-Your-Momma. Don't forget Mark Clayton before he got traded. Stop B*tchin and be a team player! Wwhhaaa, I'm not getting any balls thrown to me, wwhhaaaa.
You had the choice of who you wanted to sign with after Seattle used and abused you, threw you to the curb. Why go to a place that has soooo many options? That's just dumb. He made his bed. let him lay in it!

Posted by: monk811 | October 1, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: wireman65 | October 1, 2010 8:41 AM

That's a big negatory. He couldn't wade through all the trolls, angry sock puppets, and the rest of the trash up here. Don't remember whether he said it or Cindy said it.

If you want to reach him, you can shoot him an e/m. Click on the link at the top of the page. He reads his e/m's and sometimes he responds.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 1, 2010 8:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | October 1, 2010 8:34 AM

Yeah, the Ravens' playbook on defense is basically that. Incorporates some 3-4, some 4-3, and even 46. Best defensive playbook on Madden, IMO.

All I know is that Orakpo is a beast, no matter where you line him up...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 1, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Containing Vick: The Five-Step Program

By Rich Tandler
Redskins Blogger
CSNwashington.com

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 1, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Right Monk...I have no idea why Housh thought Baltimore would be a good situation for him. I don't want the guy, but how he didn't camp out in front of Redskins Park immediately after his release is beyond me...dire need for his help, an owner that'll spend money, and a legit QB throwing to him. For a guy with an ego as big as his, going to B-more as a 3rd WR was insane...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 1, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44

I'm undecided as to which of the 50th percentile I fall into. Seeing how you've confessed to the board (3 Hail Mary's for you, my son) your hate for Hanyesworth, I'm guessing it's the 50 that "don't give a damn".

Until Albert commits petty larceny, that spot for "disgrace" and "embarrassment" will always be saved for one Albert Connell. Going into your teammates wallet? NOT cool. Dude couldn't have been that strapped for cash.

However, I do give a damn about these 4 PM start times... AND once again, given the storyline, it's going to be a game that most of the country sees.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 1, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 1, 2010 8:50 AM

No idea? Ravens play Cincinnati twice this year. The Redskins, not at all. (Also, I've heard he's always been a big Jim Zorn fan.)

Posted by: beep-beep | October 1, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

The Upcoming NFL and NCAA Football weekend is thick with games:

UF v. Alabama

Texas V. Oklahoma

Pittsburgh v. Baltimore

Miami v. New England

Stanford v. Oregon

....and, of course, there's Washington v. Philadelphia

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 1, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

So basically he's saying it's not that he isn't trying, but that he sucks.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 1, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

"I have no idea why Housh thought Baltimore would be a good situation for him. I don't want the guy, but how he didn't camp out in front of Redskins Park immediately after his release is beyond me...dire need for his help, an owner that'll spend money, and a legit QB throwing to him. For a guy with an ego as big as his, going to B-more as a 3rd WR was insane..."

Posted by: brownwood26

Its been one stupid career decision for TJ after another.

His first was signing with the Seahawks.

I gues he thought by going to Bal'more he would be able to bump Derrick Mason form the #2 spot, which was stupid to even think because Mason has been better, is better than Housh ever was.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 1, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Dude seems to have a hard time living in the present...as he is usually harking back to another time in his playing career when he actually did something relevant on the football field that might even be worth watching... like his contact year in Tennessee.

Would love to see him talking about his Redskins experience in the past tense too... but in the meantime, would just settle for him trying to do something to help the team -- rather than just acting like the totally self-absorbed jerk that he has proven to be.

Posted by: Vic1 | October 1, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

moe, what no mention of sawks/yanks??

couldn't be more anti-climatic.....

I'm hoping Miami's wildcat runs wild all over NE.....

to be honest, while I WANT the redskins to win, I do not expect them to...not after last week's showing...at this point, if they're competitive, and they have a good showing on both sides of the ball, I'll take that moral victory...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 1, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Nice post get em all riled up early in the mornin with some Ahay hattin.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 1, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Greg, that's why I'm kinda leaning towards picking the Skins in this game...they tend to win the ones that everyone unanimously believes they'll lose. I hardly saw anyone pick them to beat Dallas, and they won. EVERYONE picked 'em to beat the Rams and we know what happened there. They rarely throw up two stinkers in a row so I think we'll be pleasantly surprised this week...

Oh, and co-sign on Mia/NE...hopefully the Fins make me look good for picking them to win that division...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 1, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

beantown

"...what no mention of sawks/yanks??...couldn't be more anti-climatic..."

Anti-climatic is an understatement, my friend.

The Yanks are sleepwalking to the playoffs and the Sawx are packing golf clubs and planning trips.

What's so bad about the upcoming MLB playofff hunt is that all the small market teams folks whine about are going into the playoffs without fan support or attention.

The Rays should beat the Phillies in 7 games.

And the world will yawn.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 1, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

"The check sat at my house for couple of weeks before I cashed it"

Was this before or after the stripper he barebacked and seeded up demanded some cash?

"Everybody thinks we're standing in a long hallway with gun holsters, and we're ready to draw on each other"

Right city, but wrong facility and wrong team.

"... he realizes that Washington fans probably have mixed feelings about him."

No, Al. They all generally hate your guts.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 1, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: RedDMV | October 1, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

going to B-more as a 4th or 5th WR was insane...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 1, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

There, fixed it for ya!!!

I agree, wouldn't have been the 'chosen one' to fix all of our problems, but he would have been a lot better than Joey "Go Route" Galloway. He would have had 70-80 catches at least, dude has a little left in the tank!

Posted by: monk811 | October 1, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Is Trent starting? I hope so.

On offense, who else wants to see Torain and Devin Thomas start?

Posted by: iH8dallas | October 1, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

moe, the rays are on the verge of winning the East, and they STILL can't sell out...the team gave away like 15,000 tickets the other night, and only had 20,000 people at the game...

brown, I don't know, I have zero confidence in this team after the last 1/2 of football....this is potentially a huge game given the upcoming schedule..might be the last possible win in a while...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 1, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | October 1, 2010 7:47 AM

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 1, 2010 8:05 AM

Posted by: RedDMV | October 1, 2010 8:16 AM
------------------------------------------
Damn, Red. I am just hoping Sunday gets here soon enough. I want to rinse out the bad taste of the Rams game with a victory over the Eagles. Barring that, if McNabb could just hit Andy Reid in the nutsack with a bullet pass...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 1, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Haha, good stuff Red. He's got a way of talking to make himself a sympathetic figure...those of us who have seen his act just find him pathetic. I don't believe a word outta his mouth and all I care about is whether he's gone or producing for us. Wake me up when one of the two happen...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 1, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

What the h*ll is Mark Maeske doing a humanitarian piece on Vick for?? "Not just a better player. A better man" Gimme a f--king break. This punk-a$$ b!tch literally killed dogs with his own two hands. And what's his first big piece of news since signing with the Eagles? His homie and fellow thug/dog killer gets shot. At Vick's birthday party. After Vick was involved in a scuffle. 3 minutes after Vick tucked tail and ran.

I have little doubt Michael Vick is a better person than he was before he went to jail. Hard to not improve on that. But for this type of aggrandizement- in a Washington DC paper, no less- is nothing short of ridiculous. I love this quote:

Asked this week for a reaction to Vick's return to prominence, the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals issued a written statement through a spokesperson that said: "As long as he's throwing a football and not electrocuting a dog, PETA is pleased he is focused on his game."

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 1, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

I dont know about yall but i really hate what this fat P.O.S. is doing to the skins and I hope that we can get a little payback in the near future

Posted by: m_miller1808 | October 1, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

I got the #92 jersey. I did my part, NOW Haynesworth do yours. STOP THE RUN AND KILL THE QB.

Posted by: COLUMBIASKINS | October 1, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

^21^

Posted by: COLUMBIASKINS | October 1, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

What I don't understand is how Shanahan got the idea he could unilaterally amend AH's contract. AH was due the $21 mill whetehr Sshanny liked it or not. He didn't have to kiss Sshanny's butt to get it. Hence his comment the other day about being a slave.

Maybe Shanahan turns this around, but I stand by what I wrote after the Cowboys game and was roundly criticized for: I don;t see anything too different from last year. An offense that can't score or keep drives going and a defense that can't stop people and get off the field. Actually now, a return to zornball would represent a big improvement.

Posted by: Iamhumongous | October 1, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | October 1, 2010 7:47 AM

-------------------------------------------

I for one am glad they are having a hard time finding dirt on this team. For too long the dirt has been easy to report on and it seemed that everyone in the NFL knew exactly what the Redskins were doing and thinking, I don't believe that is the case any longer. I love it, but I could be crazy

Posted by: anotherwes | October 1, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Not that I in ANY way condone Vick's past actions, but PETA has bigger fish to fry---oops poor choice of words, huh?

Ask PETA about their euthenasia office and the animal body storage freezer [The size of a medium U-Haul truck] they have at their facilities, sometime.

Bet they wouldn't comment on that one, huh?

How about their stance on "don't use drugs tested on animals", while their leader [a known diabetic] takes her daily monkey-tested insulin?

How's about THAT one?

I'm not sayin'--I'm just sayin'

Posted by: ThinkingMan | October 1, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse