Albert Haynesworth's best game so far

Redskins defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth had his best game of the young season in the Redskins' win over the Eagles. He not only saw his most action, but he made the most of it. Haynesworth finished the game with four tackles - one for a loss - and batted down one pass.

So what does this mean for his future playing time?

"I don't have a crystal ball," Haynesworth said, "so only time will tell."

The Redskins had only five active defensive linemen, which means they all saw plenty of playing time. Linebacker Lorenzo Alexander also saw time at defensive tackle and linebacker Andre Carter put his hand in the dirt as a defensive end. Haynesworth was used plenty in nickel packages and also saw some action on first and second downs.

Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan wasn't exactly effusive in his praise after the game, but he did note Haynesworth's performance.

"From the sideline, it looked like he had a lot of pressure," Shanahan said. "Looked like he had a good game."

Haynesworth wasn't particularly interested in evaluating his play. "I just do what they pay me to do, which is to do my job," he said. But he did seem to acknowledge that the increased playing time didn't exactly hurt him.

"The more I get to play, the better I get," he said.

And as for the defense as a whole - there's apparently still room to grow. "It was good, but we still got a lot more to do," Haynesworth said.

By Rick Maese  | October 3, 2010; 9:46 PM ET
Categories:  Albert Haynesworth
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Offensive line adapts to injuries and illness
Next: DeAngelo Hall wanted Vick to play the whole game

Comments

the posts are coming fast and furious

Posted by: noonefromtampa | October 3, 2010 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Morning folks. Another gameday.

I got a feelin', a feelin' deep inside oh yeah. I've got a hunch that we're going to pull this off. It's going to be torturous to watch (hopefully because it's close), but something tells me the Redskins are going to get the upset.

Yes, I'm crazy.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | October 3, 2010 9:04 AM

--------------------------

READ IT AND WEEP MY FRIENDS! I NEVER LOST FAITH! I KNEW IT!!!

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | October 3, 2010 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Ok add MyPostIDisAfake, iH8dallas and myself to those that predicted a win.

Where is all those B1tches that predicted a loss, hoping for a moral victory, Vick would shred our D, or that we would get blown out??

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 3, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse

A lot more 4 man fronts today (some incl LB, but with our guys, wotz tha dif?).

I still saw Stompy gettin pushed around, but it's all good w/ a win.

Pretty much the same game all 4 weeks, just dif outcomes.

Stay medium...lol

P1, yeh - the injuries are annoying. Torrain ate up sum.. [terrain]

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 3, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse

"Banks was a spark plug on his first punt, that set a good tone for thing to come."

Banks, Torain, Armstrong, and KoryL--all new young players, had decent enough games.

SHeyer fits into that group as it seems that 'zone-blocking'--and not the 'power' scheme of JBuges/Zorno suits him well.

Lo Alexander should be re-upped and paid to be a starting outside linebacker: he's that important.

The redskin receivers can not beat press coverage--that explains the lack of controlled WCO style passing.

If McNabb is pressured up in his face, he throws more cut-fastballs into the dirt than Andy Pettite.

A good win, despite the sorry 3rd quarter (our Achilles' heel, apparently, is that the offense gets untracked after half time).

HTTR

Posted by: gimmesummoe | October 3, 2010 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 3, 2010 10:00 PM

I'm right here. Did you notice that Vick got injured?

Posted by: beep-beep | October 3, 2010 10:10 PM | Report abuse

If you beat the teams in your division, you go to the playoffs. McNabb is 2-0.

Last year, Eagle Fan blamed him for the losses to Dallas. What does he do in response? He beats Dallas in a new system, then beats the team who blamed him.

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 3, 2010 10:10 PM | Report abuse

Todd Collins replacing Cutler in the second half?!

Posted by: beep-beep | October 3, 2010 10:11 PM | Report abuse

A Todd Collins sighting! Bwahahaha!

Posted by: stevek20147 | October 3, 2010 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Brian Orakpo Is Tired Of Being Held
Posted Oct 3rd 2010 8:54PM by Matt Terl (author feed)

Back when Brian Orakpo sealed the Redskins' LAST heart-stopping down-to-the-final-play NFC East win, I talked to him about how his offensive lineman drawing a holding penalty on that play was just about as good as a sack, and he mostly agreed. Now it's becoming a habit -- there were at least two more penalties for guys holding Orakpo -- and Orakpo's getting a little less sanguine about the whole thing.

"I'm happy we got the win," he said, "but obviously it is frustrating, because I do wanna get sacks. I do wanna get big plays. But guys just keep continuously to hold me out there."

Orakpo is every bit a team guy, but he knows that his stats are taking a hit here. "They look at my numbers," he said, "I got two sacks in four games so far, so they think it's not good, but you gotta consider all the holding calls I've been getting and it's getting kinda redundant right now."

(I'm not sure who the "they" is that he was referring to there, as most Redskins fans I've talked to are keenly aware of the holding on Orakpo -- nearly every single play, many of them will tell you. But whatever.)

Orakpo's draw-a-holding-penalty technique has led fairly directly to two divisional wins, so I'm mostly okay with it, but I can certainly understand his frustration. I suggested that he should be flattered that this is the only way guys seem to be able to stop him, but he shrugged that idea right off.

"It don't make me feel good," he said, "but ... like I said, I just wanna finish plays, get these sacks like I see other guys doing. They're not letting me, so hopefully other teammates can shine while they're holding me on the other side."

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 3, 2010 10:12 PM | Report abuse

I'm right here. Did you notice that Vick got injured?

Posted by: beep-beep | October 3, 2010 10:10 PM

Did you notice that before Vick was injured (as predicted by me) the Eagles had ZERO points.

Did you also notice that the Terps beat Duke yesterday?

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 3, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 3, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse
----------------------

Well we are still a team that is far from being in a position to pop off, But we are sitting in 1st place, crazy as it is.

But since you asked about folks predicting a loss, I was on the radio with Lavar Friday taking noise about why we had a chance. Those bamas hosted a dm segment dedicated to why we'd get beat.

Desean and Jeremy were firmly ensconced in the witness protection program tonight.

Well done.

Posted by: AdamCr | October 3, 2010 10:22 PM | Report abuse

There he is...
The QB who actually led us to the playoffs in 2007.

Took over a losing team, and turned it around for us as won our last 4 or 5 games w/ Collins at QB.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | October 3, 2010 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Skins being outscored 52-13 in 2nd half. That wont get it done.

Posted by: Rypien11 | October 3, 2010 10:26 PM | Report abuse

I called a win - - in the grocery store, not here, lol. I didn't predict a loss here, but I did talk about how we'd win if we did.

I'm just glad we didn't tank after knockin out the herpes infected starter.

But that sparks this, Diesel: can you cut CPo some slack? His performance goes hand in hand w/ this win.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 3, 2010 10:27 PM | Report abuse

AdamCr- I listened Friday. Probably heard your call. Dukes was especially certain that the Skins had NO chance.

The only reason that show has any listeners is that it's opposite the John Thompson show.

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 3, 2010 10:27 PM | Report abuse

A win over the beagles makes for a good sunday, but I swear if we keep throwing to sellers he's going to cost us a game. Scares the F outta me every time he touches the ball!

Good job in relief, Mr. Heyer, but please let Trent heal soon!!!!!

Posted by: stevek20147 | October 3, 2010 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Jay Cutler, sacked 9 times before going out with a concussion... ouch!

Posted by: Alan4 | October 3, 2010 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Jay Cutler, sacked 9 times before going out with a concussion... ouch!

Posted by: Alan4 | October 3, 2010 10:32 PM

...by halftime. Double ouch!!

Posted by: stevek20147 | October 3, 2010 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 3, 2010 10:27 PM

Yes, I said earlier that he played well and gave us everything he had. He left 3x with some sort of injury. We need him and Torain to spilt carries and CP on 3rd downs for his pass pro.

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 3, 2010 10:46 PM | Report abuse

yeah, but at least Thompson's show has Doc on it. I can listen to Doc.

I can't stand the 106.Suk channel. Thomson can be asinine, tho. I hear ya.

Collins hittin' the TE. Classic!

go Todd go!

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 3, 2010 10:47 PM | Report abuse

geeze - that's what I get for openin' my mouth

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 3, 2010 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 3, 2010 10:27 PM | Report abuse
---------------------
Dukes loves the skins except on weekdays, Sunday and Saturday. JTs show is aight when they let Doc talk football and screen out cowboys fans.

Posted by: AdamCr | October 3, 2010 10:50 PM | Report abuse

props, D44

I gotta hassle psps tomorrow - heheh.

Well, gg peoples. gonna get some sleep after watching Bears sjk it all up.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 3, 2010 10:53 PM | Report abuse

F Dukes. Dreaming of a hanging chad.

That is all.

Posted by: stevek20147 | October 3, 2010 10:53 PM | Report abuse

I think da bears may actually pull this off.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 3, 2010 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, Haynesworth drew a holding penalty that would have been a sack. Otherwise he was a serious non-factor. Orakpo drew like 4 holding penalties, all of which would have been sacks. There is a massive disparity in their earnings. You can infer that Haynesworth is still playing like trash.

And who is Philip Buchanon? This guy is garbage on punt returns (conjures up memories of Antwaan Randle Fell) and a liability in coverage. He got that flag that prolonged the Birds' last drive and put them in place to get a crazy hail mary win. Just be thankful that Jason Avant can't catch.

Posted by: Crunkenstein | October 3, 2010 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Crunk, haynesworth played well. Especially first half. You might have noticed the run d was no longer a sieve with him in for maake. Huge difference. Hope he keeps it rolling.

Posted by: AdamCr | October 3, 2010 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Bradshaw is a quick and shifty back but he's got ball control issues. Reminds me of a certain former Gina back that cheated on his wife while she was carrying his twins. She held on them and he fumbled away his post football career.

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 3, 2010 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Good night TC, thanks for the memories.

Posted by: stevek20147 | October 3, 2010 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Or not.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 3, 2010 11:22 PM | Report abuse

If anyone is still awake......

F Philly
F Duke and beep-beep (NEW POST)

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 3, 2010 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 3, 2010 11:28 PM

I'll cosign that!

Posted by: stevek20147 | October 3, 2010 11:30 PM | Report abuse

Looked to me like the Skins followed the book on how to take a running QB out of the game -- literally, it turned out -- and it worked very well. Then when Kolb came in they made some adjustments to contain him, as well. You can see Philly has some weaknesses they haven't fixed yet -- fits right in with the rest of the NFC East, a division in transition.

Posted by: Samson151 | October 4, 2010 12:27 AM | Report abuse

Vic looked like he was in a lot of pain. Not much fun being in a lot of pain. Right, Vic? Best moment of the game was watching that piece of trash get crushed.

Posted by: pooftah2 | October 4, 2010 12:41 AM | Report abuse

Heyer should go. A stupid hold, two illegal motions. That's enough! And did you notice Montgomery in there at the end. There should be much better prospects than Heyer on somebody's practice squad. Even though it was a win, I was holding my breath just as I did yesterday for Michigan/Indiana.

Posted by: iliwai34 | October 4, 2010 1:10 AM | Report abuse

Great Win !!! We needed it !!!
Reality Check: What in the blue blazes has happened to our ability to make a tackle ??? The very same guys, that for the last 4 years have been able to tackle as well as anyone ever, suddenly don't know how anymore ??? This year so far, the 1st Redskin that gets there has NO effect on the ball carrier. Also, why doesn't any opposing receiver ever have even one of our defenders within 10 feet of them, when they catch the ball. It is astounding how open these guys are this year ??? Always !!!!
And somebody please send Carlos Rogers to an eye Doctor to get his eyes checked & introduce him to a little product called
"Stick-em"
Offense is getting better every week as they continue to get their timing and comfort zone together. Sure would like to see Armstrong in there more !!! The guy catches everything that even gets near him !!!! Still, the promise of what this offense will become, is better then anything we have seen in recent memory !! GO SKINS !!!

Posted by: EFitz1000aolcom | October 4, 2010 3:27 AM | Report abuse

Great Win !!! We needed it !!!
"Stick-em"

Posted by: EFitz1000aolcom | October 4, 2010 3:27 AM | Report abuse

Great Win !!! We needed it !!!
Reality Check: What in the blue blazes has happened to our ability to make a tackle ??? The very same guys, that for the last 4 years have been able to tackle as well as anyone ever, suddenly don't know how anymore ??? This year so far, the 1st Redskin that gets there, seems to have NO effect on the ball carrier. Also, why doesn't any opposing receiver ever have even one of our defenders within 10 feet of them, when they catch the ball. It is astounding how open these guys are this year ??? And somebody please send Carlos Rogers to an eye Doctor to get his eyes checked & maybe introduce him to a little product called
"Stick-em"
The Offense is getting better every week, as they continue to get their timing and comfort zone together. Sure would like to see Armstrong in there more !!! The guy catches everything that even gets near him !!!! Still, the promise of what this offense will become, is better then anything we have seen in recent memory !! GO SKINS !!!

Posted by: EFitz1000aolcom | October 4, 2010 3:34 AM | Report abuse

Lucky win and it was much needed as our team wades into much deeper water the next 3 weeks.

1 win in the next 3 is a must!! If they somehow get 2 I'll do back flips in my living room.

Posted by: skins91r | October 4, 2010 3:50 AM | Report abuse

Doesn't seem to be much about Haynesworth on here, even though that's the article. So, I just wanted to throw the big guy some fan recognition. He's got a long way to go to dig himself out of his off-season/pre-season hole, but yesterday was a good start. For some reason, I kinda zeroed in on him, maybe because he started and was out there more. He was definitely the best he's been in a while. Jason Reid forgot to mention the solo tackle/stop that Haynesworth made on 3rd down to prevent a 2-yard conversion. I hope Big Al can keep going.

Posted by: Andrew53 | October 4, 2010 8:25 AM | Report abuse

I am a faithful redskin fan & have been since my first maroon and gold selve jacket back in the early seventies as a eight year old . This team has talent but the problem is three fold . # 74 as a back up is terriable just terriable . We need a younger Oline with balls and guts . If we can replace 2 more lineman with young studcocky men the can block while moving on there feet OUR offense will be a top 6 offense in the nfl , no dout about it !!! We also need to package DT with AH and get 2 picks for them a 3rd and 4 th should be good . They need to go DT is not playing and Im sure as hell thinking there is someone out there that can !

Defense needs 3 players and we be the beast of the east . We need to spend our #1 this coming April on a outside backer or at least a 3rd . And we need to get a Bmore type NG thats all we need and our defense tightend up. We could use a new CB a work in progress type to step in when CR can't see / WTF is up with rodgers I hear that one time he was giving oral sex to a fine white girl and she had to tell him to move up alittle ( wrong hole ) ...lol dude needs some magnafine contacts he should be leading in the pick department WTF

Posted by: terryreece | October 4, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

^21^

This is a Haynesworth post.

Finally, I got to see what I was hoping to see when they brought him here.

Those fans with DVR's, watch the game again and focus on Haynesworth. I bet you will like what you see. He changed the game on a lot of plays.

HTTR

Posted by: COLUMBIASKINS | October 4, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

when AH wasn't double teamed he had great push. He played and plays great.

Posted by: tttyler | October 4, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

What game were you guys watching? I did focus on him many times and saw him getting pushed out of plays and one time didn't even make an effort to get back in the play after QB got flushed to middle....also standing on the sideline with hands on his hips during crunchtime end of game when you should have your best players on the field.......

Posted by: FrancisHerbert | October 4, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

^21^

@FrancisHerbert. I guess we were watching the same game as the writer and London Fletcher, Lorenzo Alexander, Brian Orakpo, Andre Carter...man I could go on and on.

Oh yeah, and most importantly the HEAD COACH. He gave praise and hasn't even seen the film yet.

Sooooooooooooooooooo Francis, stop it.

THE SKINS ARE AT THE TOP AND YOU DON'T LIKE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: COLUMBIASKINS | October 4, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

"The very same guys, that for the last 4 years have been able to tackle as well as anyone ever, suddenly don't know how anymore..."

I thought they had tackling problems last year, too. Particularly that late Giants game.

Posted by: Samson151 | October 4, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

The Washington Redskins are not yet a superbowl callebor team we must not be confused into believing this. I still believe they will win their division outright, but making the playoffs is not the goal anymore. Today it is about winning championships so though it is an improvement in coach first year, the ultimate objective is another Superbowl. McNabb and Fletcher had personal reasons to celebrate yesterday's win in Philly, and yes it is the second division win but there is room for growth.

Posted by: phjesuswarrior7 | October 4, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Big Al "Lunchbox" Haynesworth --we ain't seen much yet...

Posted by: Towards_Light | October 4, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Please. McNabb stunk up the joint. He made one good play (18 yard scramble) the whole game. The Deadskins won because Vick got hurt and Andy Reid doesn't know how to call and use timeouts (1 yard line for Cripes sakes). If Avant holds on to that pass at the end what would you all be saying?? McNabb stinks. Well he stunk but the Eagles stunk a little worse without Vick.

Posted by: Dog-1 | October 4, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Dog-1,

If that's the only good play you saw then you didn't watch the game. The TD to Cooley was pretty important. Also, the bomb to Armstrong. Watch the games and stop hating! HAIL

Posted by: Wizbullets88 | October 4, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

@terryreece
If you have been a fan for that long then why do you not know that the colors are BURGANDY and GOLD! BTW, F-Dallas!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | October 4, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Say, this was a game that our Redskins just made it. The eagle catch in the end zone was a touchdown only if he had held onto the ball. The Redskins offense has to score more often. Three minutes in a game the offense must control the game and run the clock out. Is it the play calling or the team is to relax and rely on the defense. McNabb balls are in the dirt/turf to much. I understand he wants no interception but please hit the receiver around his knees or waist line. It a win in the book but we lost that game. Until the team take control of a game, it going to be a long season when meet those other strong team. Santana should be ligting up the league in reception with a quaarterback like McNabb. Who calling these plays?Go back the redskins defense and play your strength with four down lineman and let Mr. Haynesworth earn his money as tackle and free up his linbacker. We are the team to beat Yet. Once the offense starts clicking, it going to be exciting time once in REDSKINS COUNTRY.

Posted by: raggae | October 4, 2010 11:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dog-1 | October 4, 2010 4:43 PM
======================

So the TD to Cooley wasn't a good play?

How about the flag pattern to Armstrong? That wasn't a good play? If Armstrong keeps his balance, that's a TD.

How about threading the needle to Moss to keep the drive going, that wasn't a good play?

Vick didn't 'get hurt', our Defense hurt Vick. Just like the Giants defense hurt Cutler. These things aren't luck. It's what happens when you put your hat on the ball and your shoulder on the man, and drive with your feet.

If you want to play the "if Avant makes the catch game", then we can play the "if Rogers/Mcintosh" make the catch game. They both had INTs in their hands on the previous downs before the hail mary.

Posted by: ProfessorWrightBSU | October 5, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse