Albert Haynesworth's status no longer an issue

By Rick Maese

Stepping to the podium for his weekly visit with the media, defensive coordinator Jim Haslett didn't even wait for the first question.

"Yes, Albert's playing," Haslett joked.

Entering the second half of the year, the status of Albert Haynesworth is no longer a weekly debate. His last three outings have been strong ones, going back to the Redskins' first meeting with the Eagles on Oct. 3. After a slow and turmoil-filled start to the season, Haynesworth is contributing to the defense finally in a variety of ways -- including in some ways in which he might not even be aware.

"We utilize him in a lot of different areas," Haslett said. "We used him in nickel and goal line and short-yardage and some other things. And actually, he didn't even know -- I still don't know if he knows it -- he played five snaps at nose against Detroit."

Haynesworth had four tackles and a sack in that last game at Detroit, but how did he fair as a nose tackle -- the crucial position in the Redskins' 3-4 defense that he'd prefer didn't exist?

"He was awesome," Haslett said. "He did a great job. I just sneak him in there once in a while. Just don't tell him he's a nose."

"I think the guy can be a heck of a player at any of those positions," Haslett added.
In the Redskins' first game against the Eagles, Haynesworth came off the bench and had four tackles -- including one for a loss -- and batted down a pass. He missed the next two games following the death of his brother and then posted sacks at Chicago and Detroit.

Haynesworth is still expected to be used in situational roles, but Haslett feels the talented pass rusher can continue to contribute in a big way.

"He's working good at practice," Haslett said. "I like what I see from him."

By Rick Maese  | November 12, 2010; 2:45 PM ET
Categories:  Albert Haynesworth
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Brandon Banks still not ruled out of Monday's game
Next: Redskins elevate Rabach, Hall and Alexander to captain status

Comments

moist pantaloons

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 12, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

So back to back threads on the McNabb benching?

Great.

Posted by: RedDMV | November 12, 2010 12:28 PM

Stand by... I think the next thread is "The Haynesworth Saga: A Retrospective".

Posted by: Alan4 | November 12, 2010 12:51 PM

Did I call this or what?

Posted by: Alan4 | November 12, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

why are the eagles considered improved this time around? I thought they were considered nearly unstoppable last time we played?

Posted by: PlayAction

Not sure why they were considered unstoppable last time -- based on wins over Jax and DET? Maybe they were overhyped ...

I think they are just playing well. vick is firmly entrenched and knows his team better -- don't think we'll knock him out of the game again. philly has won 3 of their last 4, including Ws over Indy and ATL. They've been getting about 3 sacks a game in recent weeks, even against Peyton.

I think they are an improved team over what we saw in week 4. My opinion ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 12, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Zeke, Iggled defense actually looked pretty solid against us in Week 4--shackled McNabb (125 yeards passing) and held the offense without a TD.

On the offensive side of the ball, they just didn't show up and part of that was probably Vick getting knocked out. Kolb didn't look ready for prime time when he came in.

Posted by: Alan4 | November 12, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

My mistake there was actually a 31 yard TD pass to from McNabb to Cooley, and Torrain ran one in.

I guess it seemed lower scoring than it actually was because those 2 TDs came in the 1st quarter, and it was kind of a snooze fest after that.

Posted by: Alan4 | November 12, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

This is what I do with my wife, just sneak her in as lover and don't tell her what position she's playing

Posted by: ElYeah | November 12, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

I like the way Hazlett is adjusting to his players' strengths. The defense has been a strength so far.

Posted by: dannykurland1 | November 12, 2010 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Punish Vick when he runs out of the pocket.

That's the formula for keeping him from being effective.

Taking direct shots in the open field means he will be less effective as the game goes on.

Posted by: RoyHobbs4 | November 12, 2010 8:22 PM | Report abuse