Posted at 9:07 PM ET, 12/12/2010

Anthony Bryant, Chris Wilson audition for next year

By Paul Tenorio

With the Washington Redskins likely out of playoff contention entering Sunday's game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth suspended for the remainder of the season, some younger players were the beneficiaries of more playing time in the 17-16 loss.

Nose tackle Anthony Bryant was active for just the third time all season and said he played more snaps than he had since the preseason. Linebacker Chris Wilson also had an expanded role against the Bucs.

"I kind of knew at the beginning of the week I got to play a little bit more because of the situation what happened last week," Bryant said, referring to Haynesworth's suspension. "Help out with the nose situation, help [starter] Ma'ake [Kemoeatu] out with more reps. I prepared myself to play this week more."

Bryant said he had about 20 reps on Sunday. The fourth-year player registered one tackle playing in the middle of the line.

Wilson said he believed his increased playing time was not as much a result of Haynesworth's absence but of Wilson's play over the past few weeks.

The fourth-year pass rusher, who made the switch to linebacker this season, did not have a tackle but did register one quarterback hit. He also had a crucial fumble on the opening kickoff of the second half that set up a Tampa Bay field goal.

Both players said the increased role was an opportunity for them to audition for the coaching staff as it begins to look toward the future development of the roster.

"It means everything to me to get in and just showcase my abilities," Wilson said. "Just go out there and give my best efforts and let them know they didn't make a mistake."

Said Bryant: "It's an audition for everybody. There's 31 more teams out there and it's an audition for everybody in the last four games, for everybody. Put it on tape, put it on film, that's all it is."

By Paul Tenorio  | December 12, 2010; 9:07 PM ET
Categories:  Albert Haynesworth
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: District native Benn hurts Redskins
Next: Trent Williams wants more W's

Comments

edvar

I suspect that much of our early running success is as much attributable to a scheme choice by Tampa Bay to keep everybody back and prevent the big play...

True: true to the rules of the Tampa-2, it appeared both safeties were very deep off the ball, meaning the Bucs felt they could control the skins' offense with only 7 players in the box.

The lack of run support from the safeties opened up the redskin run game.

So you wonder: where was the redskin coaching adjustment when things suddenly shut down?

The adjustment against the tampa-2 usually is a strong screen game and tight ends running seam routes.

We tried both, but oh, I forgot: our quarterback kept underthrowing the passes to the screen backs and hitting medium route runners off balance.

Maybe the next coaching adjustment will be benching the quarterback.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 12, 2010 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Maybe the next coaching adjustment will be benching the quarterback.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 12, 2010 9:17 PM

Moe couldn't agree more. McNabb's inaccurate throws left some big gains short. I really hope that another year in the program McNabb improves but I have my doubts.

Posted by: TWISI | December 12, 2010 9:23 PM | Report abuse

This franchise has become the new Detriot. It's a losing culture through and through and finds ways to lose that even average teams can't.

The Redskins are the team that others look forward to having on the schedule because they know we'll find a way to give the game away.

What a joke.

Posted by: Redskinrex | December 12, 2010 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | December 12, 2010 9:23 PM |

I think he's got three more weeks in the program and then the Skins will trade his rights.

Posted by: beep-beep | December 12, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | December 12, 2010 9:27 PM

I'm hoping beyond hope that if this happens, Grossman isn't the starter.

Posted by: TWISI | December 12, 2010 9:48 PM | Report abuse

So if Shanahan and Mcnabb were to sit down and decide to part ways...with the caveat that we trade him to AZ, what do you predict we'd get?

I say a 4th, if AZ likes the contract extension or reworks his deal.

Thoughts?

I wanted this to work, but he has really not played well, so as many have said...why not draft a guy this year?

Reid will have a field day revisiting his "Shanahan wants to 'raise' a young QB prospect (per a source with knowledge of the situation.) schtick he ran out all last spring.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | December 12, 2010 9:48 PM | Report abuse

I say a 4th, if AZ likes the contract extension or reworks his deal.

Thoughts?

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | December 12, 2010 9:48 PM

I'd sign up for a 3rd or 4th today.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 12, 2010 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Well I still have my CAPS!!!....wait...what...oh...

Posted by: chrislarry | December 12, 2010 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Jamarcus, Alex, Ryan, Heath, and all the busts aside....

Nothing breathes new life and hope like a "Franchise" QB draft pick.

I'm no expert but Luck is the guy I want here next year.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | December 12, 2010 10:08 PM | Report abuse

I almost don't care if we have grossman start next year if we have a groomable young QB holding a clipboard for a year so when he plays he's better than he'd be if he started. If we get a true NFL ready QB, then I don't mind him starting. These statements are dependent on stockpiling draft picks, getting rid of maladaptive players of all kinds for maximum value (i.e. Carter because he works better in a 4-3, Haynie the malcontent, etc.), draft so we get better at key positions of need, keeping in mind the kids that will come up in the 2012 draft, etc. The last comment means that if we need a second corner to complement stone-hands (assuming he takes mid-level money, what he deserves), and there are no good corners this coming draft, but there will be a lot of them in 2012, then we put off that particular need and draft good system players at other positions of need (OL, OL, OL, QB, FS, 3-4 everything, etc.).

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | December 12, 2010 10:10 PM | Report abuse

McNabb isn't the problem - or rather he isn't the biggest three problems. Before I continue to defend the guy, I will say that it looks as if his legs are gone. It is almost like watching Brunell all over again. Legs gone; arm strength diminished.

Now having said that, the pass protection appeared to have only practiced running plays all week. The backs and tight-ends we're late or missing their blocks. Where were the stretch-bootlegs? Max protect and guys still getting there - wtf?

Good to see Gibbs in the owners box.

Posted by: bangkokben | December 12, 2010 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Good to see Gibbs in the owners box.

Posted by: bangkokben | December 12, 2010 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Didn't see the game. but who ever wrote that it's time to commit to a total rebuild, I co-sign.

Perhaps there are a few later round draft picks to be had for Tubbsworth, McNabb, Cooley, whoever else.

If Kyle is around next year it should be year one of the Rexy era, with an understudy of course. No point in paying McNabb big bucks next year.

Also makes no sense to keep all sorts of guys around or resign...I'll add Portis, Carter, Sellers, Reed Doughty, Jarmon, CR#22 to that list. Time to blow up Dan, Vinny and St. Joe's roster already.

Shanny's a year late and 3 draft picks down in the process. Idiot!

Posted by: Pepper5 | December 12, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

I'm no expert but Luck is the guy I want here next year.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | December 12, 2010 10:08 PM

He won't be on the board. He's going #1 overall. If a QB is want you want then you're probably looking at Mallett.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 12, 2010 10:20 PM | Report abuse

I meant, to not to keep those guys around, i.e. to release them or not resign them.

Posted by: Pepper5 | December 12, 2010 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Danny Boy's pockets will continue to get lighter and lighter. Pretty soon this aweful franchise will be blacked out around the region. I had no more emtion to give this afternoon other than to laugh and have a sense of apathy for this team. I use to hang everything I had in me emotionally on a win or loss, but now I am indifferent. The team up north does it the right way....no suing poor old ladies, no banning signs, no promise each year of greatness when the right thing to do is to draft and rebuild. Game/franchise over!

Posted by: jjed56 | December 12, 2010 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Well Diesel, you never know. I don't know if CAR takes a QB, and a lot can happen between now and the draft. We are the Washington Redskins after all.

There has never been a player we REALLY wanted and did not get if you ask Dan Snyder.

We have no choice but to trust Shanahan can find his QB.

And raise him.

Per a source with knowledge inside the building.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | December 12, 2010 10:28 PM | Report abuse

WG- Luck is the best QB prospect I've seen in the last 10 yrs. He's going to be an all-pro within 3 yrs.

He's going #1 and the only way we get him is to trade up. No way we can trade up with the overall talent on our roster, unless you want to use our 1st and 2nd to do so.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 12, 2010 10:43 PM | Report abuse

edvar

The lack of run support from the safeties opened up the redskin run game.

Maybe the next coaching adjustment will be benching the quarterback.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 12, 2010 9:17 PM

Hey Moe -

Sorry, checked out for a couple of minutes. Mrs Edvar wanted to do that Sunday dinner thing...

I don't know about the rest of youz guyz, but if we're gonna make a switch, I'd rather find out what Beck has under his hood...

Posted by: edvar | December 12, 2010 10:58 PM | Report abuse

How is there not a bounty on DJax head?

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 12, 2010 10:59 PM | Report abuse

I waana do bad things to/with the lady in the hyndai for holidays!

Posted by: dealer1 | December 12, 2010 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Love it when people slam a reporter for "running out a schtick"/story and then start hoping that reporting was actually correct.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | December 12, 2010 11:07 PM | Report abuse

Damn she's hot! Can't get enough of that lala lala la.mmm mmm mmm

Deez, it's okay it's the ute in him/#10. Can't believe it's the same guy who dropped the ball before crossing the goal line. He was a joke.

Posted by: dealer1 | December 12, 2010 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: edvar | December 12, 2010 10:58 PM

He'll be 30 when the preseason starts next year.

I wanted to...Who cares what I wanted, clearly what I've wanted would have been the exact opposite of the last 10 YRs.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 12, 2010 11:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: edvar | December 12, 2010 10:58 PM

He'll be 30 when the preseason starts next year.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 12, 2010 11:14 PM

30!

Crap.

I thought he was 26 or something. Well, I still don't mind finding out about him. Rex scares the crap outta me.

Posted by: edvar | December 12, 2010 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Edvar-

Thirty isn't old mine you, unless it's football players and women.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 12, 2010 11:23 PM | Report abuse

mind not mine. I'm having a McNabb moment.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 12, 2010 11:33 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Tashard choice just asked for and got a Vick autograph right after the game on the field after the girls LOST! I've never seen that before ever in any sport.

Posted by: dealer1 | December 12, 2010 11:36 PM | Report abuse

Can't understand why the D, Haslett, keeps forcing the blitz when it's obvious we don't the talent to make it work. All it's doing is leaving the corners and safeties hanging out to dry.

Posted by: bones21 | December 12, 2010 11:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | December 12, 2010 11:07 PM | Report abuse

It's an outrage.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | December 12, 2010 11:56 PM | Report abuse

Edvar-

Thirty isn't old mine you, unless it's football players and women.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 12, 2010 11:23 PM

yeah - long as they're keeping it tight.

Posted by: edvar | December 13, 2010 12:10 AM | Report abuse

Next year at home we've got the 49ers, Patriots, Jets, and Cardinals; away the Seahawks, Rams, Dolphins, and Bills. Depending on where the 'skins end in the division they'll have a home and away with the 3rd place schedule (Vikings and Buccaneers) or the 4th place schedule (Lions and Panthers).

Last year the 'skins 'earned' the 4th place schedule and lost to both the Rams and Buccs. Those teams are still in the playoff hunt. The Rams may win their division.

Posted by: bangkokben | December 13, 2010 12:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | December 12, 2010 11:07 PM | Report abuse

It's an outrage.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | December 12, 2010 11:56 PM | Report abuse

Simply shocking.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | December 13, 2010 12:21 AM | Report abuse

Next years opponents>

Home: 49ers, Cardinals, Patriots, Jets Away: Rams, Seahawks, Bills, Dolphins
Also either 3rd place or 4th place schedule: Home Vikings; Away Buccaneers or Home Lions; Away Panthers.

Last year the 'skins "earned" the 4th place schedule losing to both the Rams and the Buccaneers.

Posted by: bangkokben | December 13, 2010 12:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Redskinrex

Um, Detroit won today. But I agree with your sentiments.

Posted by: TheCork | December 13, 2010 12:56 AM | Report abuse

While Donovan McNabb was proving to be the best bounce passer this side of Steve Nash,I should point out that Jason Campbell threw for 324 yards, 2 TDs and a 127 passer rating for Oakland.

Jes Sayin'

Posted by: TheCork | December 13, 2010 1:05 AM | Report abuse

And yet lost, Corky. Clearly not on him, though.

As for your prior comment: isn't that precisely what makes them the "old Detroit," and the Skins, the "new?"

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | December 13, 2010 1:19 AM | Report abuse

Five Thoughts: Bucs 17, Redskins 16

By: John Keim 12/12/10 9:17 PM
Examiner Staff Writer

1. Donovan McNabb has been disappointing. I’m not going to blame the loss on McNabb, but his lack of development in this offense is very telling. And when the offensive coordinator calls for a run to Keiland Williams on third and goal from the 12, that, too, is telling. On a day when a Redskins back rushed for 158 yards in one half, the offense could only manage 16 points. Yes, the conditions were terrible and two short field goals were missed. But McNabb’s passing in the red zone hasn’t been very good. But a ground game like that should have set Washington up for more success. Instead, McNabb made more low throws and had some bad decisions. I don’t see what Kyle Shanahan sees, and it would be nice to hear his honest assessment of what’s gone wrong with McNabb. But I do know that no quarterback should dump a ball off with 14 seconds left in the half and no timeouts with no chance of a score. Had Williams caught the ball, the half likely would have ended without a field goal attempt. Now, McNabb executed the two-minute offense well and took what was available, moving the ball with passes underneath. And he threw a very nice pass to Santana Moss on the touchdown, the result of a good play call, too. An excellent finish. The Redskins will bemoan their lost opportunities, but the Bucs could have said the same thing had they lost; McNabb should have been picked twice. On one throw, like last week, he had plenty of time and still threw almost right at a defender. Sometimes McNabb just looks old in the pocket and I wonder where this is headed next season. Now, get him a major playmaker and a consistent ground game and that will help any quarterback. But that also makes McNabb like a lot of other quarterbacks. Which means they must draft one in April, probably in the first two rounds.

2. Mike Shanahan is not on the hot seat. Is Dan Snyder unhappy? No doubt. Why would he be anything else when his team is 5-8. And, yes, Snyder fired Marty Schottenheimer after one year. But Snyder would be on the hook for $28 million if he fired Shanahan. It’s really not worth it to go forward with more reasons why he won’t get fired. Now, there are people around the league who question if this regime will work, if only because Shanahan’s record as a personnel guy is spotty and Bruce Allen is not involved too much in that end of the operation. So the personnel moves are being made by a guy who doesn’t have a history of success in this role. But that’s a different conversation and time will prove if that’s accurate or not.

Posted by: beep-beep | December 13, 2010 6:16 AM | Report abuse

3. The holes were as big as they’ve been all season. The Redskins capitalized on Tampa Bay’s overaggressive, and fast, defense with the cutback runs in the first half. Heck, when Ryan Torain would cut back there would be one defender in the way and that person would either be cut or Torain would make him miss. He ran well, but the holes were huge. But in the second half Tampa Bay was more aggressive with its run blitzes, especially from the backside with a strong safety or sometimes the middle linebacker. It enabled them to load up harder on the playside and still be in position to stop the cutbacks. The result? Fourteen yards rushing in the second half for Torain. However, there was a little success on some bootlegs as a direct result of the run game. That’s how this offense is supposed to work.

4. Tampa Bay’s youth served it well. The Bucs just looked faster than the Redskins at times and perhaps that’s a result of young legs on defense. Heck, on both sides of the ball. Despite a line that appears decimated, the Redskins could not really take advantage on defense. They did a pretty good job vs. the run, but they again applied little pressure. Aside from Brian Orakpo, who can apply it at this point? There’s not a lot of speed or energy on the defense with LaRon Landry sidelined. I know Tampa’s approach was a topic of conversation this week, about how they built their team compared to Washington. But to see it up close was very evident. Just think; they've lost seven starters to IR now -- and they're three games over .500. They committed to a rebuild and proved that it doesn’t have to take several years. They still have beaten mostly bad teams, but they’re beating them and they’re 8-5; I’ll take that over a team that beats a couple good teams but loses to a lot of bad or mediocre ones. The problem is, I’m not sure this approach would work in Washington because it requires patience – not just by the owner, but by the fan base and by the coach. Instead, the Redskins play in a 90,000-seat stadium with a fan base that wants to win now; for an owner who wants to win now; for a coach who is pushing 60 and needs to win now. The one word I don’t want to hear is reload. Teams that go 11-5 reload; teams that have now lost of its last 37 games need to do one thing. Rebuild. It’s required, but … Yes, this upcoming free agent class could be terrific but that approach hasn’t always worked, has it?

Posted by: beep-beep | December 13, 2010 6:18 AM | Report abuse

I waana do bad things to/with the lady in the hyndai for holidays!

Posted by: dealer1 | December 12, 2010 10:59 PM

100% agree...that chick is easy on the eyes AND she's got a unique voice. I'd love nothing more than to give her something to sing about...

Cork, stop bringing JC up on here...first of all, he's about as polarizing a figure on the blog as AH so it starts a sh*tstorm every time you mention his name. Second, he's not doing anything outside of what we knew he could do all along...be an efficient QB when given a defense and a steady rushing attack. Note how well McNabb played yesterday when he had a RB taking pressure off him and a defense holding the opponent to 17 points...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 13, 2010 6:20 AM | Report abuse

5. Missed opportunities; again. Bad teams talk about all the missed opportunities they had during the season; good teams take advantage. So, yes, they were close again but they lost again. Brian Orakpo was held; it sure appeared that way. But DeAngelo Hall dropped a possible pick-six; Graham Gano missed two field goals and London Fletcher dropped an interception. The Redskins don’t have that sort of margin for error. Besides, Tampa fumbled at the goal line. Again, they could point to missed chances as well. Which brings me to Gano and Nick Sundberg. It was a terrible day for specialists, but Tampa handled it well didn’t it? Sundberg’s snaps were no different than they’d been all season. He’s inconsistent and it hurt them. Hunter Smith is considered a terrific holder, but it’s hard to grab a slick ball and get it down. Do you grow with young guys like Sundberg and Gano? Or do you look for something else? I’d be more apt to find a new long snapper, but if you’re sold on Gano, and you think in two years he could be special then I guess you keep him. He is the sort of guy you rebuild with; a young player with promise. But he’s hurting them now.

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/nfl/2010/12/five-thoughts-bucs-17-redskins-16#ixzz17zPk4wP7

Posted by: beep-beep | December 13, 2010 6:21 AM | Report abuse

Nuke Krakatoa..from space..It's the only way , Ripley..

re: global warming

Posted by: frak | December 13, 2010 6:28 AM | Report abuse

"The Bucs committed to a rebuild and proved that it doesn’t have to take several years. They still have beaten mostly bad teams, but they’re beating them and they’re 8-5; I’ll take that over a team that beats a couple good teams but loses to a lot of bad or mediocre ones. *The problem is, I’m not sure this approach would work in Washington because it requires patience – not just by the owner, but by the fan base and by the coach. Instead, the Redskins play in a 90,000-seat stadium with a fan base that wants to win now; for an owner who wants to win now; for a coach who is pushing 60 and needs to win now.* "

100% agree...Moe has been the most vocal about taking the Bucs approach and while I see the value in it (and would prefer to go that route), I just don't see that happening here. The Saints approach seems like a more likely scenario and you leave a lot to chance doing it that way. Hate to say it, but it's hard to think this is gonna get any better any time soon...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 13, 2010 6:42 AM | Report abuse

Can football tickets lead to deflation? I will pay someone to use my remaining tickets...but I do not want to hurt the economy

Posted by: mtrone | December 13, 2010 6:49 AM | Report abuse

Just saw that NY Jests "strength coach" trip the Dolphin player who had to be helped off the field. What a piece of pond scum that coach is. The Jests should be fined a half a million dollars for his actions and he should be barred from the sidelines for life. Since it's a New York team, though, he'll probably be fined $25,000 and suspended for a week.

Posted by: beep-beep | December 13, 2010 7:12 AM | Report abuse

Bucs approach or Saints approach? Which one would you use to rebuild the Washington Post's pisz-poor coverage of the Redskins? Wise, Boswell, Reid, et al. filled the paper with pabulum this morning.

The Redskins will win another Super Bowl before the Post has a team that is as competent, analytical, and insightful as the Examiner's one man.

Posted by: beep-beep | December 13, 2010 7:18 AM | Report abuse

Jes Sayin'

Posted by: TheCork | December 13, 2010 1:05 AM | Report abuse

I'd like to point out that he's also been benched twice this year.

Campbell is the same player he was here except that he has guys who can make plays off of 5 yard check downs.

Still, F McNabb. Arizona has a high 2nd round pick next year that we could really use.

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 13, 2010 7:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 |

I'm sorry, did you just try to tell me what to do? Yeah, that'll work. God forbid I should cause controversy on a board whose primary existence depends on controversy.

You are wrong about JC's work yesterday. He threw for 320+ to receivers named Ford and Murphy.

But you make the same point I make. Yeah, he can manage the game, be an efficient QB. He also opens up the run game with his big arm, is younger than McNabb, does NOT throw as many bounce passes and would have been a nice stopgap--or perhaps game maager. Meanwhile the picks given up could have gone for OLINE or many other needs.

The point I make is McNabb puts the lie to the argument that the team is rebuilding with a plan. McNabb was a try to "win now" qb. Tne trade benefitted two teams--unfortunately those teams are Oakland and Philly.

Posted by: TheCork | December 13, 2010 7:21 AM | Report abuse

Arizona has a high 2nd round pick next year that we could really use.

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 13, 2010 7:19 AM

You're thinking about trading Orakpo? McNabb will fetch a high fifth rounder.

Posted by: beep-beep | December 13, 2010 7:22 AM | Report abuse

Saw that too, beep...if someone told me about the incident without specifying the team, my first guess would have been the Jets. Only a Rex Ryan team would have such a blatant WWE-type action on their sideline...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 13, 2010 7:24 AM | Report abuse

I am tired of seeing kickers, punters, returners, etc. struggle under Danny Smith. The guy simply doesn't know how to develop players. Fire Danny Smith in the offseason and get a real special teams coach.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 13, 2010 7:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | December 13, 2010 7:21 AM

At least you're not trying to highlight the obvious...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 13, 2010 7:38 AM | Report abuse

from: John Kiem

Having been off the Donovan McNabb bandwagon since Week 3, I can only say, "Welcome Aboard," Mr. Keim.

Thing is, 'Aboard what?' is the real question.

I'd say the Bucs had D McNabb scouted fairly well yesterday: they took away the deep pass and forced him to be accurate in the middle of the field to tightly covered receivers.

And just like with the Giants' game, he wasn't.

It's a smart way to play our 'offense'.

And so, with three games left, do you play Rex? Do you give John Beck some game time?

Or do you put #5 back on the field knowing that all he's gonna is not satisfy?

Perhaps that, and not the name of the new Bandwagon, is the real question.

I say play John Beck.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 13, 2010 7:47 AM | Report abuse

There can be no serious controversy that the Redskins were better off keeping Campbell and the 2nd and 3rd/4th rounder. It was a bad decision on Shanahan's part to bring McNabb here; many of us who weren't especially crazy about Campbell understood that -- because we rightly recognized this as a REBUILDING situation.

This years' results only underscore the magnitude of Shanahan's error.

Posted by: Pepper5 | December 13, 2010 7:59 AM | Report abuse

I say play John Beck.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 13, 2010 7:47 AM

Wow...how are you so sour on McNabb after his best game as a Redskin? If anything, dude proved he can be a pretty effective player for us when the rest of the offense holds up its end of the bargain. Special teams and piss-poor coaching take this L almost entirely...McNabb doesn't even make the top 10 reasons why we lost.

Besides...the only thing worse than riding it out with McNabb and/or playing The Human Turnover would be to throw Beck out there hoping he'll be the next Kurt Warner. He's 29, he's not nearly mobile enough to compensate for our sh*tty line, and he was pretty bad in the few spots he's been able to play. No thanks.

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 13, 2010 8:01 AM | Report abuse

Moe -- you play McNabb because he's here and we paid for him and there's no need to humiliate him on his way out of town. If the game gets out of hand (and a few down the stretch will), you bring in Rex or Beck to close out.

Posted by: Pepper5 | December 13, 2010 8:06 AM | Report abuse

pepper5

It was a bad decision on Shanahan's part to bring McNabb here

Amen.

Thing is, where do we go from here?

The bucs/rams are on the road to a complete rebuilding having shed the vets/coaches who got them to a Super Bowl years ago.

Thing is, who in redskinland has the stomach for that kind of complete, bottoms-up rebuild seeing how in the same ten year span, all we've done is waffled between mediocrity and failure?

No one

So expect more of the same.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 13, 2010 8:09 AM | Report abuse

the Skins need to deal to get extra picks for 2011 and 2012. Santana Moss, either Cooley or Davis, Fletcher, D. Hall R. McIntosh should all be available.

If someone would give up a 4th rounder for Banks trade him too.

The bad part is there are useful players who will probably end up being cut or just unrestricted free agents: Andre Carter, C. Rogers.
17 or 18 players on roster will be 30 or older next season. That is way too many.

This team needs to have 9 or 10 picks in each of the next two drafts.

Posted by: Pensfans | December 13, 2010 8:10 AM | Report abuse

Wow...how are you so sour on McNabb after his best game as a Redskin?

I was 'sour' on the guy when he was an Eagle.

And shouldn't a 'best game' equal a victory?

Just sayin....

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 13, 2010 8:12 AM | Report abuse

No one

So expect more of the same.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 13, 2010 8:09 AM | Report abuse

I wonder if Shanahan doesn't get it in his gut now. Remember when they came in and said they thought the players were actually pretty good? Well now they know that was wrong.

Question is Shanahan flexible enough or fundamentally honest enough to chuck it all and start over? He'll have to get Snyder's buy-in, of course.

On the other hand, it wouldn't surprise me if Snyder has is own notions of a do-over, not that he'll act on it yet or anything. That won't happen for another two years.

Posted by: Pepper5 | December 13, 2010 8:17 AM | Report abuse

...McNabb doesn't even make the top 10 reasons why we lost.

Who takes the blame when, game in and game out, a team is dependent on field goal kicking---and not touchdowns---to win games?

I guess not the underachieving inaccurate quarterback.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 13, 2010 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Sniff sniff! I smell trolls coming!

Posted by: monk811 | December 13, 2010 8:21 AM | Report abuse

The McNabb argument is moot. They don't like him and that is one change that will certainly be made.

Posted by: Pepper5 | December 13, 2010 8:21 AM | Report abuse

pepper5

I think that despite our Monday Mornin' whinin', a core is being developed.

I'm sure Shanny/Haslett will identiify those players who can prosper in their respective systems.

Maybe after a 5-11 year, we see 8-8 next year.

That is not unreasonsable provided we get someone who can score touchdowns under center.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 13, 2010 8:22 AM | Report abuse

I was 'sour' on the guy when he was an Eagle.

And shouldn't a 'best game' equal a victory?

Just sayin....

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 13, 2010 8:12 AM

Thanks for at least admitting your bias.

And in football, one individual performance is seldom enough to carry an entire team to victory on its own. If your whole case is that McNabb isn't that guy, I'm not sure why you'd then use that as ammo for why you don't like him. Kinda like hating Andre Carter for not being James Harrison...if you know the guy doesn't fit a 3-4, then why would you be upset that he's not getting it done as a 3-4 LB?

Let me lay out a scenario for you: Skins trade away McNabb for pennies on the dollar to a place like Minnesota or AZ. He goes there, balls out, and then the blog is abuzz over how we were too quick to get rid of him (kinda like what we're seeing with JC right now). We burn another 1st round pick on a QB, he stinks up the joint because A) there's no solid veteran placeholder to take the beating for him and B) because he doesn't have the line or the receivers to be any good. Just like Ramsey, just like Campbell.

How anyone can watch a Redskins game and put the losing on the QB's head is beyond misguided. This team's problems run deep, and certainly far beyond the performance of one player. You could get Peyton Manning or Tom Brady here and this team would still fail. Let me know what part of leaving 11 points on the field for the 2nd straight home game could be fixed by sinking another couple draft choices into a rookie QB...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 13, 2010 8:25 AM | Report abuse

Redskins rebuild, beer prices increase at FedEx, parking rates likely to increase, and Snyder's profit continues. What exactly are they rebuilding? A quality football team or a profit margin?

Posted by: 44fx2901 | December 13, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Who's in their core?

Defense: Orakpo, Landry, Carriker?

Offense: T. Williams, Torain?

ST: Banks

Seriously, is anyone else in their core? YesI know there are other guys like Armstrong that will stick around to fill out the roster, but we're talking about the core.

Posted by: Pepper5 | December 13, 2010 8:29 AM | Report abuse

We lost due to terrible special teams play. Hall dropped a pick 6, and we squandered a 150+ rushing performance from Torain. Why no play action passes? We could have at least tried to go deep. The only team in the NFL that would miss an xtra point with the game on the line. So we lose out and only improve by 1 win. This may be the lowest low, even lower than the loss to the Chiefs last year.

Posted by: FedorEm | December 13, 2010 8:32 AM | Report abuse

I've been calling for auditions for younger players for about 4-5 weeks now, and yet somehow Austin/Cook/Jarmon are inactive....whateves I guess...Lord knows it makes sense to keep trotting Phil Daniels out there at the risk of not getting Jarmon playing time...cuz he's sure the future of this team...

"piss-poor coaching take this L entirely"

fixed it for ya brownie, this was all on Mike/Kyle, from the screw ups with clock management right before the half, to the lack of preparation with a wet ball, to the lack of countermove once the bucs defense stopped the running game....abject failure at all levels...and please, someone tell Mike to STFU about missed calls, thats loser talk....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 13, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Brownwood & Moe,
I think you both are right. McNabb would be better with a better supporting cast but he truly hasn't been the quarterback we thought he would be. I don't see the harm in starting either Grossman or Beck for the remaining games. I am not saying the team would be better, but it might be the only way to get a true read on the performance of the other players. Is it all on them? If Grossman comes in and stinks it up - unable to get the ball into the hands of the receivers and unable to avoid the rush - then we might know more about the supporting cast. If Grossman comes in and lights it up, then we might know something about who to invite back at the QB position next year.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 13, 2010 8:37 AM | Report abuse

I guess not the underachieving inaccurate quarterback.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 13, 2010 8:17 AM

First of all, depending on FGs doesn't seem to be a problem when the FGs actually, you know, go in.

Second of all, you're putting this loss on a guy that complete 62% of his passes and threw for the game's only two TDs. You'll excuse me if that's the most ridiculous thing I've heard since some clown was up here a couple weeks ago blaming the Vikings loss on the defense.

I think I've made my position on McNabb clear...I support him because right now we've got no better option. I get that he's inaccurate and I get that he's played waaay below expectations. What I absolutely can't get is why he's to blame when he's no less than the 3rd QB to fail having to play behind a putrid line and having no viable targets to throw to. Instead of bemoaning JC's relative success in Oakland, we should be more pissed than ever that yet another QB is being subjected to such terrible working conditions...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 13, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse

anyone got sherm smith/jim zorn/al saunders phone number??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 13, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 13, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse

I hear he's bringing in his Union Rep. today.

Posted by: monk811 | December 13, 2010 8:44 AM | Report abuse

RSH, the only way Grossman "lights it up" is if he's either smoking weed or running up points for the opposing defense. I'd rather play Les Grossman than go even one series with The Human Turnover under center...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 13, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

I agree that changing the QB won't change much with this offense, which is what I've been saying for the past three years.

Posted by: Pepper5 | December 13, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Underachieving, yeah.
Inaccurate, at times.
QB, one of the best in the last ten years.
Shanny f'ed up by bringing DM5 here but to me, DM5 is not the sole problem.
The S show we have all been shown over this season is the same sad display we've seen for years. MS was supposed to change this but he looks old an ineffective like Saint Joe did in his sequel.
I don't know what the hell he does as the 'head coach' of our beloved Washington Redskins but whatever it is, it blows donkey dongs.
I don't expect things to change overnight but I did expect to see a difference between the way things were run before and now. Right now there is no difference...

Posted by: priceisright | December 13, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Underachieving, yeah.
Inaccurate, at times.
QB, one of the best in the last ten years.
Shanny f'ed up by bringing DM5 here but to me, DM5 is not the sole problem.

Posted by: priceisright | December 13, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Underachieving, yeah.
Inaccurate, at times.
QB, one of the best in the last ten years.
Shanny f'ed up by bringing DM5 here but to me, DM5 is not the sole problem.

Posted by: priceisright | December 13, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

the sad/pathetic thing about what is happening today is that you could go back in time, and 3, heck 5 years ago, we'd be doing the same thing...its like a bad dream that wont ever end....

was there a point in time at the end of the game where you didn't think TB was gonna score...or that the Redskins would drive the field, and NOT screw it up....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 13, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

As much as Donovan is a credit to the character of the team, he is definitely underperforming. Some of it is pass protection, some of it is dropped passes, some of it is inaccurate throws. With the lack of points scored, it is reasonable to conclude that a jumpstart should be tried and either Grossman or Beck put in. It may not work, and it probably won't but we'll never know until something is tried. Anything for crying out loud. Trying another QB is a much better alternative than putting the game in the foot and head of Gano.

Posted by: getitritegov | December 13, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 13, 2010 8:34 AM
-------------------------------------------
I am with you 75% of the way with your criticism of coaching, Bean; however I have to disagree with your point about the balls being slick. You can't coach for every potential weather condition.

One point I strong agree with is the lack of adjustments. If there is one consistent bump against Shanahan it is the poor adjustments this season. Maybe some of this is teaching the playbook and not putting enough wrinkles into the playbook, but it is late in the season and the team cannot come out with at least a few packages with four or five receivers?

And talk about missed calls? Yes, get over it. Had the team executed on a couple more plays they would have walked away with victories in at least three games they lost this season. I agree that the Bucs tackle held Orakpo, but the Redskins get away with stuff, too, and at the end of the day, I think it mostly balances out.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 13, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

bw26 -

Stop it, just stop it..

Once again the biggest mistake Shanahan has made is trading a 2nd and a 4th to our division rival for McNabb. He's been awful and has been outplayed every week except one (Cutler).

He will not be here next year. I'd take whatever we can get for him (3rd-5th) or release him. He's out of excuses, 12 YR vets shouldn't make the mistakes he makes. Time to move on, he's garbage.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 13, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 13, 2010 8:58 AM

Nope. And what chaps my ass the most is that even when we scored the TD, Moose Johnston said "it's still not over...they have to make the extra point". Not even a second later did the ball slip right thru Hunter's hands...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 13, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 13, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

All of this bad luck can be traced back to ONE person:

Larry Michael

BRING BACK FRANK HERZOG!!!

Posted by: monk811 | December 13, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 13, 2010 8:38 AM

I think the issue is that on the throws he should hit (the missed 3rd down throw to a wide open Cooley in the red zone) shouldn't be missed by a QB of his stature. That play killed a drive and it was because McNabb threw off his back foot. McNabb isn't the only problem on this team by any measure, but really for the majority of the year, he hasn't played like part of the solution either, his off the field intangibles excluded.

Posted by: TWISI | December 13, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

You know Monk it's funny I was listening to the game on the radio yesterday, and I thought the exact same thing. Larry Michael is the voice of chronic mediocrity and the Redskins will never win while he announces.

Also adding to the mix of comments that I don't believe McNabb likes being here and why would he?

They don't like him --he doesn't like them.

Hello, Arizona.

Posted by: Pepper5 | December 13, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

"You can't coach for every potential weather condition"

Phil Simms said that this past week the pats practiced with FROZEN FOOTBALLS to stimulate the conditions they might see in Chicago....thats right, the coach stuck the practice balls in the FREEZER OVERNIGHT...so BULLCRAP you can't prepare for weather conditions....Mike needs to stop making excuses, stop trying to place blame on ANYONE but himself, HUMBLE himself, dig in and either fix this, or quit.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 13, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

How anyone can watch a Redskins' game and put the losing on the QB's head is beyond misguided.

Last year, we said..

"Well, it's not Jason Campbell's fault."

This year, we say...

"Well, it's not Donovan McNabb's fault."

Some years ago, we said,...

"How can you blame Shane Matthews?"

We've also said...

"Danny Wuerfful just can't be blamed for the offense."

We used to say,...

"Don't blame Heath Shuler, he just needs time."

We got a sniff of the playoffs, lost and said,...

"Todd Collins really is our best quarterback--don't pin the loss on him."

Once we said,...

"Mark Brunnell isn't that bad, stop beefing."

And a long time ago we said,...

"Pat Ramsey isn't the blame for what ails us."

What do all those guys have in common?: They can't be blamed for ten years of failure, according to some posters

But I guess we can blame ourselves for being misguided in our assessment that the Washington Redskins haven't had a quality signel caller since Brad Johnson was chased out of town.

And we never blamed him for anything.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 13, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 13, 2010 8:45 AM
-------------------------------------------
You called Moe out for showing his bias. Now you are showing your bias. Frankly, I don't care if they put in Grossman or Beck. They could do one of those coaching things where they need to hold the quarterback out for an unspecified injury so they preserve McNabb's ego, but I don't see the harm in putting someone else back there for an entire game.

As far as Grossman, I think he is one of those quarterbacks that could be better later in his career. He has ability but makes mental errors. Players tend to work out those mental errors by late-career and so I would never discard him.

Beck is intriguing because he hasn't gotten a lot of playing time in his NFL career. He has a fresh arm. He has started some games and he throws a nice ball. The knock is that 3/4 release.

Not saying either of those guys is better than McNabb. I would just like to see them with current cast of players. What can it hurt? The team is done this year. There are no playoffs ahead of them. From this point on, every game is about next year.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 13, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 13, 2010 8:59 AM

Diesel, I must have missed the memo...did the NFL adopt a system where wins and losses are based solely on the performance of the QB or is it still based on who scores the most points? Because if it's the latter, I'm not sure where you're going with that.

I said from the start the team was better off keeping the picks and sticking with JC for one more year. But the transaction is done and now I'm rolling with what we've got. I get that McNabb is underperforming and I get the desire to have better. All I'm sayin' is that it's not all McNabb's fault and the simple act of upgrading at QB isn't going to fix what ails the Redskins.

I mean, wasn't this all JC's fault last year? How many QBs have to fail here before people like you realize there's 10 other positions on the field not holding up their end of the bargain either?

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 13, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Hey Guys,

We want McNabb to play the remaining games...want that high draft pick. I know Luck will be out of the question, but perhaps there is another QB moving up the board.

To bench McNabb now would further reduce his value (hopefully a 4th) to another team looking for a veteran QB.

I know we want to get younger, but wouldn't Champ Bailey look good (play at free safety) in a Redskins uniform should Denver not sign him?

Posted by: flyinggoose1 | December 13, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Moe, impressive list...thanks for assembling it and proving my point.

Go down that list and show me which guys had at least two viable targets to throw to and an offensive line not seemingly designed to get the QB killed. One? Two?

You referenced Brad Johnson...you forget he had a damn good line in '99 that helped Stephen Davis to (at the time) a franchise record rushing season and a 4,000 yard passing year for BJ. The next season the offense collapsed about the same time Tre Johnson got hurt.

Brunell had a healthy Samuels/Jansen tandem and Randy Thomas played his best year as a Redskin. No coincidence the Skins had a big year from Portis and Brunell had 23 TDs.

For most of the last decade, the Redskins' epic failures have come when their O-line was thin. No matter the coach, no matter the QB.

Bottom line, you've either got a special QB that can mask inadequacies on your team or you don't. We don't. Holding guys accountable for not executing is one thing...holding them accountable for not being Jesus in cleats is another...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 13, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Here's the way I see next year's team:

OFFENSE

QB - McNabb, Grossman, Beck
Nothing changes here cause of too many other issues

RB - Torain, Williams or Davis, Drafted RB
Portis retires and we go for youth

FB - Sellers, Young
We can't get rid of Sellers cause he'll make the Pro Bowl, Young waits another year

TE - Cooley, Davis, Paulson

WR - FA Receiver, Moss, Armstrong, Draft WR
Enough said, major changes need to be made, at least 2 new guys

OLine - Williams, FA LG, Rabach, Draft RG, Brown, Heyer, Capers, Cook, Hicks
Same line but different Guards, Hicks moves to backup, and the younguns step up

Posted by: monk811 | December 13, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

DEFENSE

DLine - Carriker, FA/Draft NT, FA/Draft DE
This line sucks, MAJOR reconstructive surgery needed, Daniels and Holliday are forced out to their rocking chairs, youth movement needed!

LB - Orakpo, Flethcer, Riley, FA LB
McIntosh is not resigned, Riley steps in, and we sign a new OLB that can provide size to tackle bigger ball carriers and pass rush to compliment Orakpo. Henson steps in if healthy at ILB.

CB - Rogers, Hall, Barnes, FA CB
Buchanon is let go, we sign another corner to push Rogers and help Barnes along.

S - Landry, Doughty, FA FS, Moore
SS looks good, but Moore needs to be pushed, so he will probably be replaced, we need an upgrade

Special Teams

P - Hunter Smith
I see no reason to change Hunter the Punter

K - Gano
He gets one more year, as long as he makes it to the end of this year, bonehead!

KR/PR - Banks
One of the few bright spots

Best Cover Guys - Alexander, Armstrong, Sellers
Danny Smith should keep his job due in part to these guys, Sellers is still ok when not getting holding penalties, Alexander should make the Pro Bowl this year, and Armstrong is decent.

Posted by: monk811 | December 13, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: flyinggoose1 | December 13, 2010 9:21 AM
====================
I am tired of the Skins getting vets on the back end of their careers. Its great for Redskins PR and Danny to sell jerseys but, it derails the growth of a team.. Look at the difference in the Skins and the Pats... Thats the difference (Brady notwithstanding). You got to know when to unload the vets for the maximum return and bring in new blood. Unfortunately, Bruce Allen seems to think otherwise...ala Joey Galloway.

Posted by: onanygivensunday | December 13, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Wow...how are you so sour on McNabb after his best game as a Redskin?

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 13, 2010 8:01 AM |

brown thinks yesterday was mcnabb's best game as a redskin because he didn't throw an int ? this guy is not a leader, the FO doesn't have a clue, and the owner is a loser. brown, you can come down off your mcnabb high, he's out of here in the offseason

Posted by: hessone | December 13, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 13, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

What about some of the ones that we let go:

Rich Gannon
Stan Humphries
Trent Green
Brad Johnson
Sage Rosenfels

Gannon and Humphries each went to SB's, Johnson won 1, Green was close in KC, and I think Sage could have been a good QB with enough weapons around him.

Let's face it, there are 2 great QB's in this franchises history: Baugh, Jergenson. And I think it will always be that way. We need to stop finding the next Elway and just get someone, anyone in here that can manage a game and not lose it for us.

Where is Mark Rypien these days......

Posted by: monk811 | December 13, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Wow...how are you so sour on McNabb after his best game as a Redskin?

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 13, 2010 8:01 AM |

Because it was his best game as a Redskin.

Should we be excited because our QB wasn't the worst player on the field yesterday?

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 13, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

TE - Cooley, Davis, Paulson
The thing that might change is Cooley or Davis gets traded for more picks, Paulson is promisingosted

by: monk811 | December 13, 2010 9:30 AM

I can see Davis getting traded. On this team he add little value. On another team he might be of more use. Cooley as the starter, Paulson as the blocking TE, and then loo for a TE that stresses the defense either because of speed of height/size matchup. While I like Davis, I'm starting to get down on him because he only makes the routine catches.

Posted by: TWISI | December 13, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

...did the NFL adopt a system where wins and losses are based solely on the performance of the QB...?

Wow!: so Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, and Drew Brees are essentially irrelevant as well, according to this line of logic, an elite quarterback has the same effect on an offense as a mediocrec underachieving inaccurate one.

Jason Campbell is just as good as Aaron Rodegers, then.

Sure.

I believe that.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 13, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | December 13, 2010 9:44 AM

Exactly.

Listening to some folks up here you'd think we're the 49ers...we won MULTIPLE SBs without a HoF (or even elite) QB. Hell, we never even had the same guy for more than one. Our success and our identity were built almost entirely on a legendary O-line and a bruising ground attack. Yet we have a fanbase (or at least a sizable segment of this blog) that obsess over the QB position and damn near let the O-line and the rest of the team off hook. Unreal...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 13, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Buyers remorse?
Going in a new direction can be painful.
With Shanahan and Allen in control that's the way it will be.
The fans long for the days when we were a respected team in the League.
Dan go ahead and do it...Bad experiment?

Posted by: fat_back | December 13, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

What about some of the ones that we let go:

Rich Gannon
Stan Humphries
Trent Green
Brad Johnson
Sage Rosenfels

That's a telling list.

We ape about not having an efficient game-manager or gunslinger, but have let some fairly decent quarterbacks slip out the door.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 13, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

I despise the NFL Anti-Trust Exemption.
Its very nature rewards and protects ownership incompetence.

Posted by: onanygivensunday | December 13, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

so turns out that maybe Jim Zorn wasn't as bad as we made him out to be.......

I get so frustrated that I just start to laugh after a while....its somewhat like going through the stages of mourning...the final stage is just accepting how much suck they are....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 13, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Jason Campbell is just as good as Aaron Rodegers, then.

Sure.

I believe that.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 13, 2010 9:51 AM

I don't see why you can't grasp this...on offense, there are 11 players. Thus, the ONE position of QB is undermined if you don't have 10 quality players at the other positions.

Don't make this more difficult than it is. While I agree that an elite level QB can help raise the level of play of the players around him, that only happens if he's getting help in other areas. Let's look at the guys you listed:

Manning: Colts have a great FO, top flight coaching, and roster stability like few other teams in the league.

Brady: Pats have a great FO, elite level coach, and roster stability like few other teams in the league.

Brees: not as much longevity as Manning and Brady, but certainly comparable to the two in the last 4 years. As great as Brees has been in NO, note that when he had no ground attack and an awful defense, he was 8-8. When Pierre Thomas and Gregggg Williams came to town, the Saints went 13-3 and won a SB.

But hey, if you only care to assign blame/credit to one player out of 11, by all means--don't let fact get in the way of a good argument...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 13, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 13, 2010 9:53 AM |
-------

not this fan. the new FO came into town and started the WIN NOW crap right off the bat.

brown, if this FO would rebuild with youth thru the draft we could then accomplish what you stated, buildind an o-line and a d-line as a nucleus.

seems to me brown that you're the one always talking about the QB position.

mcnabb will always be an eagle to me, biased or not

Posted by: hessone | December 13, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

how in the hell did they get back to Tampa so fast AND get a chance to kick it:

Tampa Bay Buccaneers linebacker Geno Hayes was arrested early Monday morning and charged with misdemeanor trespassing and disorderly conduct at Tamp nightclub, the Tampa Tribune reported, citing an arrest report.

The report did say the 6-foot-3, 225-pound starting linebacker "was loud, verbally abusive and made threats to myself and staff from the club."

The officer ordered Hayes "to walk away from the front door," and Hayes "took a stance and refused to leave," the report said. The officer told Hayes he would shock him with a stun gun if he didn't leave, and Hayes persisted and was tasered, the report said.

Hayes was released at 5 a.m. after posting cash bail of $750.

Hayes had a tackle and a sack in the Bucs' 17-16 win at Washington on Sunday.

Posted by: overzealous08 | December 13, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

so turns out that maybe Jim Zorn wasn't as bad as we made him out to be...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 13, 2010 10:03 AM

Swinging gate killed any chance of that even being remotely true...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 13, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 13, 2010 9:53 AM

Co-sign.

Snyder has brainwashed the fanbase, or maybe many are too young to remember how the team won SBs with 3 different QBs. But even those QBs stayed in the system for a little while... they weren't just off the streets. The team around them wasn't full of gaping holes because the core players grew up in the system.

Snyder has a roving eye for QBs and coaches. This team is in bad need of stability.

Posted by: Alan4 | December 13, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Exactly.

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 13, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

This team doesn't have a great offensive line or a consistant running game. That we know.

The thought process behind bringing McNabb in was that a good QB can elevate the play of those around him. (see Manning, Brady, Kurt Warner, hell, even Sam Bradford).

When you give up picks to bring in a QB to elevate the play of a bad team and he turns out to be a 'game manager' (who seemingly only manages to lose games) you have a right to bash him.

McNabb was brought in to win games and he's not doing it. The end.

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 13, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Exactly.

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 13, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

McNabb was brought in to win games and he's not doing it. The end.

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 13, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

so turns out that maybe Jim Zorn wasn't as bad as we made him out to be...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 13, 2010 10:03 AM

Swinging gate killed any chance of that even being remotely true...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 13, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Exactly.

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 13, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

McNabb was brought in to win games and he's not doing it. The end.

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 13, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

...that obsess over the QB position and damn near let the O-line and the rest of the team off hook. Unreal...

The NFL is a quarterback driven, isn't it?

Most of the rules are designed to keep the quarterback upright, so focusing on the quality of quarterback play is, then, a righteous thing, isn't it?

The rules today are geared toward allowing elite passers making plays via the pass, are they?

And despite the quality of the offensive lines they play behind all quarterbacks get hit--but still make throws.

Aaron Rodgers and Ben Roethlisberger both play behind mediocre offensive lines and lack running games, but don't throw passes that guys have to 'scoop' up off the ground in the way redskin receivers do.

Elite quarterbacks lift the quality of play of the guys around them--no matter the team's weaknesses.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 13, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | December 13, 2010 10:08 AM |

so we bring in mcnabb for one year then start yet another QB next year ? what kind of stability is that ? your statement indicates snyder hasn't stepped back then

Posted by: hessone | December 13, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Exactly.

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 13, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

McNabb was brought in to win games and he's not doing it. The end.

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 13, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Exactly.

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 13, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

McNabb was brought in to win games and he's not doing it. The end.

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 13, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

I expected more out of McNabb, however I also expected more from Mike, Bruce and Kyle...so they're all culpable in my mind...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 13, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

McNabb was brought in to win games and he's not doing it. The end.

Amen.

When you give up picks and money for a guy, you expect more than 5 wins and a lot of underthrown passes.

McNabb is as washed up as a midget coming out of the shower.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 13, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

While I'm open to the Skins snagging a QB in the 1st round, I'm opposed to all the get rid of McNabb talk. If the O line was solid and the WR's didn't drop so many balls and he still was struggling, then I would agree. Give the man a strong running game that complements (and I stress this) a good gameplan (1st and 2nd halves) and he will perform alot better. There's several teams drafting before the skins that need a QB bad, and frankly there's more positions of need at this point. Also, Shanny has too much ego to admit he made a mistake that big.

Posted by: ga8085 | December 13, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

McNabb is as washed up as a midget coming out of the shower.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 13, 2010 10:18 AM |

excellent

Posted by: hessone | December 13, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

so turns out that maybe Jim Zorn wasn't as bad as we made him out to be...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 13, 2010 10:03 AM

Swinging gate killed any chance of that even being remotely true...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 13, 2010 10:11 AM

BeantownGreg1 Zorn was that bad. One thing that Shanny has done that some are undervaluing has been putting in systems and practices that have been successful in the past. Yes, these systems and practices haven't bore fruit this year, but the foundations have been laid. That's why it's so important for the guys to give full effort during the week and game day. Those players who do and stay on will become more acclimated with the new "program". As better and more scheme specific talent is accumulated (hopefully), these "core" players from this year's team can transfer the culture (practice tempo, preparation, etc) to the new players. It's a process as many on this blog has said. Give it another year or two.

Posted by: TWISI | December 13, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Hayes was released at 5 a.m. after posting cash bail of $750.

Hayes had a tackle and a sack in the Bucs' 17-16 win at Washington on Sunday.

Posted by: overzealous08 | December 13, 2010 10:05 AM
=================
there ya go...Our OLine needs to pack Tasers.

Posted by: onanygivensunday | December 13, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

so turns out that maybe Jim Zorn wasn't as bad as we made him out to be...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 13, 2010 10:03 AM

Swinging gate killed any chance of that even being remotely true...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 13, 2010 10:11 AM

Let's face it... Shanahan/McNabb hasn't brought us better on-field results than Zorn/Campbell so far. Both editions of the team suffered key injuries during the year, so that's a wash.

I would argue Shanahan/McNabb is more culpable than Zorn/Campbell, because of how much freedom Shanahan appears to have.

Zorn was reduced to running the swinging gate play as big "F YOU!" to Vinny. (By the way, I remain grateful to Zorn for forcing Snyder's hand and driving Vinny outta here!)

Posted by: Alan4 | December 13, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 13, 2010 10:10 AM

If that was the thought process, then the team is retarded for thinking that and so are the fans for buying it.

I'll say it again...go back and look at Elway's numbers under Shanahan. They won SBs because they finally put a team around Elway instead of just asking him to win games all by himself.

If the Skins are running the ball efficiently, there's no reason why McNabb couldn't win here with numbers akin to JC's last year. The problem with some up here is that they look at the fantasy numbers and the unbelievable production from Manning and Brady and Brees and they want that here. Nothing wrong with wanting that...so long as you're not bashing guys who aren't elite simply because they're not elite.

If 16 teams had guys putting up Manning/Brees/Brady numbers, then Manning/Brees/Brady wouldn't be special. Even Manning has proven this year he can't win without a healthy/productive O-line or receiving corps. And he's been in the same system EVERY YEAR OF HIS CAREER. What the hell makes you think McNabb was going to do better with an awful supporting cast in a new offense?

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 13, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

twis, Galloway and Roydell Williams...both great pracice players...should be introduced to #84, from the University of Florida...Taylor...Jacobs......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 13, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 13, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

See yesterday's game.

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 13, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

We had a back rush for more than 170 yards yesterday against the league's 23nd ranked defense--and still couldn't muster touchdowns.

Your point is....?

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 13, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Re: My Prediction

So I didn't predict the score, but I predicted a TB win. I predicted that the game would be close in the first half, and then at halftime TB would make adjustments and the Skins would not. I predicted that if the Skins got a couple turnovers it would be a one score game, otherwise, TB would dominate the half.

Re: The Loss

Whatever. The only other game I care about winning this year is against the 'Girls. Let's lose all the rest and position ourselves for Justin Blackmon in the draft.

Re: Erik Cook

Did he play yesterday?

Re: FA Next Year

I see some folks saying we need to trade Rocky Mac and/or sign another CB to push Rogers. Rocky and Rogers are UFAs next year and they're going to walk. We should have tried to trade them earlier in the season when this defense was firmly established as a last-place defense. Now they are not worth re-signing and are going to walk for free.

Posted by: p1funk | December 13, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

I keep going over in my head the playcalling, and how it was just so bad...sure the running game was gashing the bucs in the 1st half, but that was it...it was like they were making it up as they went along, with no set plan in place...no play action pass's..just the last play worked, so run something similar again....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 13, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 13, 2010 10:25 AM

Come on, Brownie. We all know there was a loud cadre of people saying QB was the weak link on this team--I spent most of my time arguing with them and being called a JC apologist. The knock was we didn't have a QB would could carry the team at the end of games.

McNabb alone was supposed to significantly upgrade that weak link and result in wins for most of those game we lost by 1 score last year (there were 7 of them). That alone, and better coaching, would make the team another 4 or 5 wins.

That was definitely the thinking, although it wasn't my thinking.

Posted by: Alan4 | December 13, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

In other news...

I'm thoroughly enjoying this December collapse by the Jets.

Rex Ryan and his fat mouth get to reap the whirlwind.

Posted by: p1funk | December 13, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 13, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

the redskins rushed for 188 yards yesterday. how many more yards would it take to consider a running game efficient ?

Posted by: hessone | December 13, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

A great QB does elevate the team and our chance of winning, but QB's like Brady and Manning only come around every so often. We have a better chance at finding a solid role playing type QB than a super star, and that's what we need to focus on.

We don't need the future HOF QB/gunslinger here, we were just fine winning SB's with Theisman, Williams, and Rypien, and almost won 1 with Kilmer. McNabb is good enough to help us win one, but more needs to be put around him to help him. I'm not giving up on him or this regime, yet.

And I can't believe someone actually said on here today that Zorn wasn't as bad as we thought! Hey chicken little, the sky is falling, better run......

Posted by: monk811 | December 13, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 13, 2010 10:27 AM

Who would you have Armstrong, Banks, and Austin learn from Kelly? Thomas? While Moss is a great guy, he hasn't really been able to mentor young WRs on this team has he? Guys like Galloway and Williams practice the way Shanny wants his players to practice. I'm cool with that. The only issue I had was playing them so long and not given the youngins some time on the field.

Posted by: TWISI | December 13, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Scanning the comments...

Seeing Jason Campbell's name...

Why??

For the love of all that is sacred, WHY??

Resisting the urge to get pulled in...

Posted by: p1funk | December 13, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Your point is....?

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 13, 2010 10:30 AM

Moe you're embarrassing yourself...unless you and I weren't watching the same game, McNabb threw BOTH of the team's TDs while that 170 yard back scored none. So maybe I should be asking YOUR point...

If we have a FG kicker worth a damn and we can execute a simple extra point, we score 23 points yesterday. Probably 27 if Shanahan doesn't go all Zorn on us before halftime.

Whatever the case...we can argue circles around McNabb all day. The bottom line is while he's played below expectations, it's far from all his fault. This team is losing with or without him. Period.

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 13, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

can someone superimpose the metrodome roof collapsing over the botched extra point video. Then you would have a microcosm of the past 15 years

Posted by: connskins | December 13, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

It's Cowboy Weak.

(the misspelling is intentional)

So where's the hate?

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 13, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

that was me monk, and yeah, because there's been such a noticable difference between this year and last year...wait..

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 13, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Re: The Loss

Posted by: p1funk | December 13, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

It's Cowboy Weak.

(the misspelling is intentional)

So where's the hate?

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 13, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

There's my hate, Moe...

Posted by: p1funk | December 13, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | December 13, 2010 10:36 AM

It's difficult to defend Zorn other than to say he was set up for failure under the Vinny's very hands-on guidance.

Shanahan's record in his first two years as a head coach, before he got fired in Oakland, are very similar to Zorn's.

Shanahan is not coaching under the same conditions now as Zorn did last year, so any fair comparison should take that into account.

Posted by: Alan4 | December 13, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Who would you have Armstrong, Banks, and Austin learn from Kelly? Thomas?

Posted by: TWISI | December 13, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

HELLO, last time I checked I was still employed as the WIDE RECEIVERS COACH! I could probably come out of retirement and still run better routes than these guys!

Signed,
Keenan McCardell

Posted by: monk811 | December 13, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

I think the best situation for the Redskins offseason is to be able to pick up a young guard (Logan Mankins) and a young center (dude from the panthers). This way our 1st and 2nd round pick can become more flexable. If the panthers decide not to pick AJ Green #1 overall, he should be there when we pick. Now the thing is which WR does Shanny like better AJ Green or Julio Jones? Last year everyone graded Okung better than Trent, but we choose Trent.

In the second round, if on the board, the Redskins should grab Christian Ponder. He is an underrated QB right now, he has high potential and great talent. Draft him and have him compete with Mc5.

If we want to go the other way around, if Mallett, Newton, or Locker is on the board when we pick in the 1st round, take one of them. Then in the 2nd round, if available get a guy such as Johathen Baldwin, or the WR from Notre Dame.

But I think our priorities have to be grabing a young guard and center in FA, in order to use your 1st and 2nd on a WR and QB.

Posted by: roccoskins | December 13, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

cowboys will smoke the skins this week, with their backup qb...sigh...isn't it our turn to be good again....when does that happen??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 13, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Peter King on Donovan McNabb:

Things I didn't like this week:

d. Donovan McNabb. If the Buc defenders could catch, the Redskins would likely have gotten routed Sunday, and he could be on the first Acela out of Washington this morning. Exaggerating there a bit, but McNabb was mostly dreadful against the Bucs. They just couldn't catch what he was handing them.

Posted by: beep-beep | December 13, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: roccoskins | December 13, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Shanny likes Justin Blackmon - who is younger than both AJ Green and Julio Jones and is absolutely destroying their production.

Shanny also doesn't like to draft QBs very high, he likes to sign FA vets. Culter was the exception, not the norm.

Posted by: p1funk | December 13, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 13, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Um, yeah, there HAS been a noticeable difference between this year and last year:

1. We don't have a bingo caller calling plays

2. No swinging gate or dumb game decisions

3. Zorn wouldn't have gotten Portis whipped into shape and 30 pounds lighter

4. Do you really miss Hip Hip.....

5. LT of the future

6. Even though a couple were called back, Banks is a threat every time he touches the ball. The only excitement we got from El was to see who recovered his fumbles at the bottom of the pile and how many fair catches he can make in a game!

7. Practice now is not the 'inmates running the prison' show at Redskins Park.

8. VINNY'S GONE!!!

9. A new coaching staff, which should be given more than 13 games into the season before the villagers come out with pitchforks and torches to kill it!

10. New video boards. Did you know they were punter proof......

Posted by: monk811 | December 13, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

So where's the hate?

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 13, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Tough to get all fired up when both teams are better off losing. Carlos will actually be dropping interceptions on purpose this week.

Posted by: SMACK1 | December 13, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | December 13, 2010 10:55 AM

Where did you read/hear this. Blckmon is talented, but I've heard he's got some work to do in his route running. Maybe the clean slate theory works for Shanny, but if the Skin's are in the top ten and want to go in the WR direction, AJ Green would be the guy in my book.

Posted by: TWISI | December 13, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

So our practice squad player can actually play more plays than our $100+ defensive tackle can muster. Wow, what a revelation. Cut the payroll and start over in a couple years, after the lockout......for exactly the Albert Haynesworth reasons. Only give incentive laden contracts, especially to players with "attitude".

Posted by: KDSmallJr | December 13, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Ryan Mallet? Remember the last Ryan--Leaf. Mallet's got a great arm but is immovable in the pocket. Why do you think he transferred from Michigan after one year under Rich Rod? He's great back in the pocket but can't get out of it--and with Redskins' porous line, the sack numbers would make Campbell's look puny.

Posted by: iliwai34 | December 13, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse