Despite drama, Albert Haynesworth could still start

Since the beginning of training camp last week, many Insider readers have emailed me asking whether I believe two time-Pro Bowler Albert Haynesworth will play for the Redskins this season.

Some of you have expressed concerns that Haynesworth, if he remains on the roster, will be inactive every week because Coach Mike Shanahan wants to punish Haynesworth for skipping all but one day of his first offseason program. Others believe Haynesworth will never pass the conditioning test in order to participate in full practice. (He didn't take it again Tuesday morning, which means he'll be missing Practice Nos. 9 and 10.)

For what it's worth, I believe Haynesworth will be the Redskins' starting right defensive end Sept. 12 in the season opener against the Dallas Cowboys at FedEx Field. My opinion is based on conversations about the situation with people in the organization.

Obviously, unforeseen events such as Haynesworth's lingering knee soreness could affect what happens. The Redskins' best defensive lineup, however, includes Haynesworth, and that's not lost on Shanahan.

Although Shanahan runs the Redskins' football operations, owner Daniel Snyder still signs the checks. Shanahan and his top football executive, General Manager Bruce Allen, are well aware that Snyder has already paid Haynesworth $32 million in the first 17 months of his contract. And Haynesworth has a base salary of another $3.6 million this season, which no longer is guaranteed because he skipped June's mandatory minicamp.

Snyder has paid Haynesworth too much money for the Redskins to keep Haynesworth on the sideline if he is physically sound, wants to play and is not stirring controversy. If Haynesworth does everything that's asked of him and Shanahan does not play him, Shanahan would risk losing the team. And the National Football League Players Association would undoubtedly have a thing or two to say about such a situation.

The union is in an untenable position because it doesn't want to be perceived as endorsing Haynesworth's offseason actions - including requesting a trade - but they must support Haynesworth if things become messy with the Redskins. I don't envision that happening.

Shanahan will continue to push Haynesworth, who the Redskins say dropped 35 pounds in the offseason, to achieve the physical condition he believes Haynesworth needs to be effective and complete the full schedule (Haynesworth played 16 games only in his rookie season). And Haynesworth will continue to toe the company line and follow Shanahan's direction.

Eventually, regardless of whether he passes the test, Haynesworth will return to practice on a full-time basis. But it's going to happen on Shanahan's timetable.

Haynesworth's knee is about as bad as it was last season, a team source said, and he needs to get it right before moving forward with the conditioning test and practice. There's still a lot of time before the season opener and a lot to play out.

By Jason Reid  |  August 3, 2010; 8:11 AM ET
Categories:  Albert Haynesworth
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Brian Westbrook still weighing his options
Next: Brian Orakpo's new role: The "Buck"

Comments

Keep up this Haynesworth static. Has to be the only thing going on at Redskins Park.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 3, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

By Jason Reid | August 3, 2010; 8:11 AM ET

Full schedule? It's good when he can just complete a full game.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 3, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Please give me something on the offensive line.

How is Silverback? How is Jamaal Brown?

Are they mushing people's faces?

These are the pertinent questions that must be answered.

Either Haynesworth will be
A. Traded
B. Start and beast out against Dallas

I'm going with the latter.

Please no more Albert stuff.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 3, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Ahay will be there in the starting lineup day one. Shanny know the caliber of player that AH is. He understands that his vaule on the field is unmatched by anyone else on his roster. Shanny clears him and Haslett puts him in position to succeed. Thats exactly what you do with a force like that.

Posted by: Stu27 | August 3, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Who cares at this point. Even if the guy plays for us this year, its clear hes not going to be a factor for us. Its going to be the same as last year - milking injuries, coming off the field for extended breathers, no dedication to the team. Who needs him.

He reminds me of Lebron but 3 times worse. All the talent in the world, but just doesn't have the makeup to be a killer on the field.

Posted by: Rypien11 | August 3, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

How is McNabb doing??!! I unfortunately have not had time to make it out to TC. Would love to know how the daily 11 v 11 is going, especially Mcnabb vs starting D. Someone (sorry I forgot who) yesterday gave a great breakdown of the open practice. More of that please!

Posted by: RudysWay | August 3, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

There was a whole, long post on Orakpo after this one and it magically disappeared. Wierd.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 3, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

It would also be refreshing as a Skins fan to have a PR/KR who can take it to the house.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 3, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Of course Haynesworth is going to start. He's still the best player on the team and the key difference to a defense that transformed from no-pressure to high-pressure in just one offseason, even if he was fat and out-of-shape last year.

In fact, that actually highlights how much better he is (and can be) than everyone else at his position. Shanahan isn't stupidm; he knows what he has, he's just trying to maximize his production.

Posted by: psps23 | August 3, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Pepper, if the O-line is for real, McNabb has 3-5 years. No need to blow a pick on a QB when you need to put pieces around the one you've got.

McNabb isn't an incumbent...we gave up two picks to get him. Doing anything but giving him every chance at bringing a Lombardi here is undermining the McNabb investment ENTIRELY...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 3, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Yes in theory McNabb can last five more years and I hope he does. But I think three is probably going be it. That is based on a hunch (nothing more) that he's gradually becoming ineffective as the years progress and that he will increasingly be down with injuries, although he obviously trains hard and is in great condition.

Even if things break right, I don't think the Redskins are solid enough to make a title run yet. I don't think they are a player or two from the Super Bowl. I don't think the OL is even playoff caliber yet.

The real question in my mind isn't building a team for one year anyway, it's building the perennial contender. And to do that the team needs to add six to eight more young starters/role players to this roster. Give it two more years and we have a shot.

We've got some good pieces in the mix right now, not enough.

Posted by: Pepper5 | August 3, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

It is a conundrum; a paradox.

There's the logic that says you've invested all this scratch and you're not going to let it sit.

Then there's the contradictory logic that states you're starting to build your team, you need integrity. Letting a fool run roughshod over your camp, making a mockery of your system doesn't support this.

Perhaps some support to the Mayor's argument here is that since the team isn't building from the ground up, but going w/ vets - Shenannigans doesn't need to establish leverage in this situation.

Interesting dilemma.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 3, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | August 3, 2010 9:02 AM

Surely you are kidding. No way that happends. You must be bored at work with nothing to do

Posted by: BacktoGlory

Thanks for picking up on that one, BTG.

Everyone else consider yourself as live bait... tackle and whatnot.... I guess it was all for the sake of conversation.

Seriously, can a brotha get a little more credit than him actually believing that Mankins AND VJax are both signing here in 2010.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 3, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

AH's knee isn't an issue if you GET HIM OUT...just sayin'...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 3, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Hey how's COLT BRENNAN's work with McNABB paying off? Has he become back-up yet? Bring back MARKO MITCHELL. Anything else happening at REDSKINS PARK?

Posted by: glawrence007 | August 3, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

We've got some good pieces in the mix right now, not enough.

Posted by: Pepper5 | August 3, 2010 10:23 AM |

I'm with you on the perennial contender thing. Thing is we've been so bad for so long I'd take a one year wonder right now.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 3, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

I don't think Shanahan should relent. He has said it is not personal, so if he backs off making him do the test, then it does look personal. Better to have him run the test while the guy holding the stop watch forgets to hit the button and then magically pass him, but I think the best thing to do is to make him do the cardio work until he can run the test. Would it be so bad if Haynesworth were to have enough stamina to stay on the field for every play without having to fake injuries to get oxygen?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 3, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Reid wants to keep the illusion that Shanahan is in control of the situation. He lost control with the knee injury, and Haynesworth can keep him hanging by alleging knee pain for as long as he wants. Since both men have a common goal of helping the Redskins do well, this situation will eventually end, but it is not only on Shanahan's terms, both men will reach a modus vivendi. (google it)

Posted by: Nemo24601 | August 3, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

We've got some good pieces in the mix right now, not enough.

Posted by: Pepper5 | August 3, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Agreed. McNABB does not = Super Bowl at this point. And may never do so.

Posted by: glawrence007 | August 3, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Pepper5 | August 3, 2010 10:23 AM

If he was still in Philly, I would 100% agree with that. Not because of obvious rooting bias, but because Philly's offense is so pass-happy and QB driven. Here, Shanahan is going to run the ball consistently. Which means McNabb can expect to see far fewer pass attempts than he had in Philly and a far greater commitment to protecting him when he does pass. That change alone should add another year or two to his career (thus my 3-5 year window vs. your 2-3 years).

Plus I look at it this way: if Shanahan can get to within a game of a SB with Jake f-ing Plummer, I'm pretty sure he can do it with McNabb (provided the rest of the roster is built properly)...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 3, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

My fear is Shanahan trying to gin up a one year wonder.

Still love him for tearing Albert a new one though. Kick his a$$ Shanny!

Posted by: Pepper5 | August 3, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Haynesworth is going to start , and if the negative media debacle over shuttles continues, it may be time for ending those frustrations and just give Haynesworth some limited practice time and full regular team treatment for his injury..Already though this situation has gone Ebola , and because he is such a constant distraction, maybe it would behoove management to just flat out cut him and move on..Especially if Maake is up to par..Rangel under major ethics investigation is pushing for reinstatement of the draft at the drop of a hat..American Enterprise Institute is calling for attacks on Iran..They want us to leave Iraq and then keep the Big Daddy Warbanks money flowing with an attack on Iran..Let's trade Haynesworth to Iran for a draft choise to be named later, like say that unibrowed hippie that runs the joint..

Posted by: frak | August 3, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

We've got some good pieces in the mix right now, not enough.

Posted by: Pepper5 | August 3, 2010 10:23 AM |

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 3, 2010 10:27 AM
------------------------------------------
I think Shanahan and Allen definitely have their eyes on this year, but grabbing guys like Beck, drafting guys like Williams, picking up guys like Torain - all of that shows they are looking to the future as well.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 3, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

thanks Captain Obvious. like they're not gonna play one of the league's best defensive players. Shanny ain't no fool

Posted by: carlnova | August 3, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Regardless of us having McNabb for 2 or 5 years we will be drafting a QB in the early picks either this draft or the next.

Posted by: Stu27 | August 3, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Since both men have a common goal of helping the Redskins do well...

Posted by: Nemo24601 | August 3, 2010 10:30 AM

Whoa, whoa, whoa...at what point exactly did AH prove to you that he's in any way interested in helping the Redskins do well? Seems to me the most demonstrative way of doing that is to at a bare minimum, show up to mandatory camp and shut his cakehole about whether he wants to play the 3-4.

I'll say it for the 1 millionth time...if AH gave even a little bit of a sh*t about winning, he would have never left 13-3 Tennessee for 8-8 Washington...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 3, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Did Haynesworth's knee go to crap the same day he signed with us or did he have issues before then?

You have to wonder how he passed his initial physical because at this point the Redskins appear to be throwing good money after bad. We're not a playoff-caliber team (imo) this year anyway, so let Butterworth head to greener pastures (and graze until his slovenly heart's content).

Posted by: ArmChairQB | August 3, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

While Haynesworth's money for this year is no longer guaranteed, apparently, you cannot cut him for being injured, or if you do, you've got to pay him for the year.

Posted by: Nemo24601 | August 3, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

If Mike Golic can complete the conditioning test (like he did on ESPN yesterday) Fat Albert should have no problem. As Merril Hoge said very well, "he (AH) is embarrassing."

Posted by: 2010_NeverAgain | August 3, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Maybe AH's knee had something to do with the Titans showing him the door instead of signing him to a ridiculous contract. Hard to believe his knee went south overnight.

Posted by: ArmChairQB | August 3, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

AH is about $ and AH. Shanny can use this knowledge to advance the interests of the Washington Redskins, however.

Posted by: Pepper5 | August 3, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Pepper5 | August 3, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Dear Diary

I had the strangest experience this morning. It started with a phone call out of the blue.

My mother called down to the basement where I am now living since I was laid off from from my last job at the chicken plucking factory.

It seems someone from the Washington Redskins front office wanted to talk with me about the RI blog entry I wrote last week about how well I did with the “Albert Haynesworth fitness test,” despite being an overweight 50-something year old geezer with asthma and a heart condition. I concluded my entry with a request, “Put me in Coach. I’m ready to play.”

Well, back to this morning. Mommy said it was Coach Shanahan.

I asked whether it was the young one or the old one, since there are a couple of Coach Shanahans on the Redskins these days, but Mommy just said, “I don’t know. Answer the damn phone and ask them yourself.”

It seems the Redskins wanted to give me a try out, explaining that Albert has yet to pass the test, and probably never will – and yes, it was the “old” Coach Shanahan calling with an offer. I guess that made it official, especially since I’m not really sure how much power the young Coach Shanahan has yet.

Anyways, he said that he had read what I wrote, and if I could pass the test again, he would pay me $100 a game, and all of the food I could eat at the postgame buffets and video reviews.

I asked if that included the buffalo wings, which are my favorites, and he said yes, it includes the wings too.

Needless to say, I jumped at the offer, and will be making my way to Ashburn this afternoon.

I guess that’s it for now, dear diary, but I promise I’ll keep you posted on as things develop. Until then and as always, I remain –

Your best friend forever (BFF!!)

Posted by: Vic1 | August 3, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Way to go out on a limb there JR

Posted by: right3 | August 3, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 3, 2010 10:37 AM |

Yea, I agree. The two are not mutually exclusive. You can want to win now (job security) while simultaneously building for the future. Can't do it all in one year anyway. Shanny ain't gonna win the Superbowl this year but that doesn't mean we can't make a playoff run. it would be foolish to say we're rebuilding so just expect a few crappy years. no fan wants to hear that. You know this owner wouldn't put up with it.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 3, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Of course he will start. He better start. He is the best defensive player in the game according to Vinny Cerrato. He's never wrong. Is he?

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | August 3, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27 | August 3, 2010 10:39 AM

And if McNabb is who they think he is, you're wasting a pick by doing that. Especially when you only have 4 friggin' picks to work with.

Build the team around McNabb. Unless a prospect you REALLY like takes a Clausen-esque fall to the 2nd round in 2012, then you don't waste a pick on a guy who's gonna be a backup holding a clipboard instead of on the field helping McNabb win a title. This is the same mistake the Eagles made a few years back...do we REALLY wanna act like those losers?

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 3, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Reportedly, the big knock on Beck is accuracy and confidence. Plus he's a little long in the tooth for a 'project'. I wouldn't hold out too much hope for him making the final roster even if Grossmann stinks it up.

Posted by: ArmChairQB | August 3, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Wow...just reading that Darren Sharper may not even make the Saints roster (Malcolm Jenkins is tearing up Saints camp by all indications). Not necessarily saying he'd be a fit here, but it's definitely an interesting about-face from when they re-signed him a couple months ago...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 3, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

If we wanted to hear about every breathe Haynesworth takes we'd watch/listen/read ESPN. Can we get some reports on the OLine?? RBs?? The real determining factors of the season, comm'on MAN!

Posted by: ooffSKIN | August 3, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RudysWay | August 3, 2010 10:17 AM |
----------------------------------------
Yes, those are better than anything that "jock sniffer" JReid has posted...

Posted by: jcnjcnj | August 3, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nemo24601 | August 3, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Do people really send jreid these dumb questions?

Posted by: AdamCr | August 3, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, Shanny had a right to lay down the law make it clear to Big Al whose ship this is.

But the question I have, Is Shanny doing it the right way with Big Al?

If it is clear that Big Al already had a weak knee, could this questionable conditioning test, and it seems it has, make it worse?

Whose interest does that serve?

Now, who blinks first, Big Al or Shanny?

Shanny has to blink first. Big Al has gotten the upper hand.

Shanny, by the way he played his hand has to rethink his strategy.

However, with all that being said, will Shanny cut his loses and now get Big Al on track to pancake some Dallas Cowboys come our first game of the season at FedEx?

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | August 3, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Breaking News: Brett Favre tells Minny he plans to retire.

In a somewhat related note, Donovan McNabb reportedly just threw his helmet down in disgust...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 3, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

I truly hate to say it, but the Eagles are perennial contenders not losers. Yuk! But I agree agree it's not wise to draft a QB next year.

Posted by: Pepper5 | August 3, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 3, 2010 10:52 AM
------------------------------------------
Speaking of the safeties, it looks like Kareem Moore is having a good camp and really making a case to start at free safety. Meanwhile, I have heard nothing on Doughty's transition to free safety.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 3, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ArmChairQB | August 3, 2010 10:51 AM
-------------------------------------------
True, Grossman's the P.E.T.

Posted by: jcnjcnj | August 3, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Do people really send jreid these dumb questions?

Posted by: AdamCr | August 3, 2010 10:56 AM

If you read the posts up here you'll realize that people do send these questions. And, not only that, these are actually the smartest questions that people send him.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 3, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Breaking News: Brett Favre tells Minny he plans to retire.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 3, 2010 10:57 AM
-----------------------------------------
Well, if Minny is looking for a quarterback, I hear Colt Brennan is available.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 3, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Do people really send jreid these dumb questions?

Posted by: AdamCr | August 3, 2010 10:56 AM

Dude, look around...we've got people defending AH for not passing his conditioning test, predicting great things from Colt f-ing Brennan, and giving a hearty "book it!" for VJ and Mankins donning burgundy and gold in mere weeks. I'm thinking that people are DEFINITELY sending Reid these dumb questions...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 3, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Get this thru the heads people who have said it....AH WILL NOT BE RELEASED! Ok! they just paid him 21 million and they will not let him walk away for nothing. They cannot recoup a dime if they willing gave it to him and then willingly cut him. Why do you think they are jumpimg thru all these hoops to save face(both player and team) and to get him on the field. he is not going anywhere but the DL if he is not on the field for us. NOW STOP IT !

And WAPO, all of you sit down and talk about your redskins coverage. Agree to cover AH when there is something different to report. In the mean time I want to see the other stories of this camp and the 2nd line battles to make the club. how are some the of new guys doing(brown, hicks, johnson and parker, etc.) how is London, rocky doing in 3-4 ?..You know things that are and will be relevant to us being a better team. Not did turdsworth skip another test today..come on , get creative and actually do some reporting and writing...ALL HAIL !

Posted by: klangley69 | August 3, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

"(Haynesworth played 16 games only in his rookie season)."

Worth noting that he only started 3 of those games.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 3, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Do people really send jreid these dumb questions?

Posted by: AdamCr | August 3, 2010 10:56 AM
-----------------------------------------
It is logical. You wouldn't send your dumb questions to someone like Stephen Hawking because that would be a terrible waste of intellectual power. Better to send him the intelligent questions and just keep sending those dumb questions to J. Reid. It's not like he has any reporting to do or anything.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 3, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Breaking News: Brett Favre tells Minny he plans to retire.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 3, 2010 10:57 AM

Translation: "Show me the money."

Posted by: beep-beep | August 3, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

And oh, by the way, Big Al is the only story going on at Redskins Park. Ain't nothing else even close to being as important to how things shake out at Redskins park.

The Redskins have been down this road before with LA.

Will we ever learn?

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | August 3, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 3, 2010 11:02 AM
=======================================
you must be The Great Gazoo!?

Posted by: jcnjcnj | August 3, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

you must be The Great Gazoo!?

Posted by: jcnjcnj | August 3, 2010 11:06 AM

No...the Great Kazoo. I also play a mean harmonica...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 3, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

"And a word to the wise, things never turn out good when organizations are hell bent on making examples out of a star player.

The Redskins have been down this road before with LA."

And a word to the wise, things never turn out good when organizations are hell bent on granting special treatment to a star player.

Skins been down this road before with LA and CP, to name a few.

Posted by: Pepper5 | August 3, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 3, 2010 11:04 AM
-----------------------------------
now here's a blogger who's knows whats up with JReid and his informant Harvey

Posted by: jcnjcnj | August 3, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Brett aint retiring, he just doesn't want to do the camp thing...he can come in last week of preseason and pick up right where he left off.....throwing a pick across the middle on a throw a high school QB knows he shouldn't have tried. Vikes might even just let him sit for 1/4 of season or so . That way he might not run out of gas come december/playoff time like he has done the last two seasons. it's all a fix, don't believe the hype!

Posted by: klangley69 | August 3, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

The Redskins have been down this road before with LA.

Will we ever learn?

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | August 3, 2010 11:04 AM

Here's just three of the stories that are more important:

1. Who will be the next QB that is cut?
2. What color is the grass this week?
3. How many empty spaces are there in the parking lot today?

You're one of the guys sending questions to Reid, aren't you?

Posted by: beep-beep | August 3, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

The Redskins have been down this road before with LA."

Skins been down this road before with LA and CP, to name a few.

Posted by: Pepper5 | August 3, 2010 11:10 AM

Well played, Pep...plus calling AH a "star player" is at best misplaced since he's far from a sympathetic or popular figure in the locker room. Anything affording him "star" status happened in Tennessee, not in D.C.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 3, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 3, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: klangley69 | August 3, 2010 11:02 AM

Eagles fans said the same thing about TO...just sayin'...

If this becomes a major distraction to the point that it's adversely affecting the team, he's as good as gone. Just depends on Shanahan's breaking point...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 3, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Favre retiring again. This ought to cut into the Haynesworth conditioning test tracker at ESPN at least.

Posted by: skinswest | August 3, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Any idea if M. Kelly is practicing today?

Posted by: Devo2 | August 3, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Tennessee went back to being a very medicore team after Ahay left them, even with the best RB in the league.

The redskins had for the first time in a long time an effective and intimidating Dline last year. AH played the second most snaps of any lineman besides AC.

Posted by: Stu27 | August 3, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Oh Yeah, it is a football conditioning test for sure. Legitimately, it is. But you have to ask yourself, is it the right one for a man as big as Big Al is with a already known weak knee?

Could you have used the test to gauge what type of conditioning Big Al was in? Yes

But should you use it a final answer as to whether Big Al is in football shape/conditioned enough to practice and play at an acceptable level?

The answer to that would be NO.

This is why Shanny is going to have to bow to Big Al.

Big Al just whipped Shanny's butt. Shanny overplayed his hand and underestimated the fact the Big Al might just have shown up ready for training.

For Shanny to base it all on the test was a huge miscalculation.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | August 3, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Heard Kemo on the radio yesterday, he sounded pumped up big time about the way shanny has run tc.

Also mentioned he has lost 40 pounds since he signed, after working (literally) his a$$ off this offseason. Keep it up big boy, that's how it's done!!

Posted by: stevek20147 | August 3, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Seriously if you all want to see what a winner looks like, go watch the 49ers - Redskins title game from 1983 season. It's on You Tube -- the whole deal, including pre and post game interviews. I recommend it. It wasn't an especially good game from that 14-2 team that flubbed out in the SB two weeks later but it tells a story. Anyway I think it would help improve the level of discourse around here to to see what a real winner is made of.

Posted by: Pepper5 | August 3, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

difference brownwood is that TO played his way off that team at the end of a year, not onto it like Fat Albert has to. Plus, at that point how much did the beagles eat of that contract....nothing after the suspension and fines came back. Remember, this is NFL so TO being cut after that year cost them nothing but maybe the cap space for length of contract and that doesn't hurt a team like philly who knows what the hell they are doing with cap and drafting unlike "Snyderato" era... The redskins are not eating 21 million, you can believe that. The only reason that is an issue is this being an uncapped year. they couldn't release him for cap purposes if it wasn't... They will DL him and tell him to stay away and try to trade him again in off-season before they cut him. Personally I say we are in for more of what we saw last year with Fatboy. a zebra doesn't change his stripes especailly "after" he has been paid and any real incentive is gone.

Posted by: klangley69 | August 3, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Any idea if M. Kelly is practicing today?

Posted by: Devo2 | August 3, 2010 11:20 AM

I heard he wasn't.

Posted by: stevek20147 | August 3, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

The 2012 draft is the year I expect the Redskins to draft a QB prospect. I think we can expect McNabb to be the starter for the next three years, using the 2012 season to groom the new QB of the future in practice and on the sidelines. With the strong posibility of a lockout shortened season next year, I see no need to draft a new QB then. We have more pressing needs at other positions.

Posted by: kaasmaster | August 3, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Pepper5 | August 3, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Ive heard GIbbs asked before which of his teams was the best. He said the 83' team was the best he ever coached despite losing the SB.

Posted by: Stu27 | August 3, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

A word to the wise - Shanny can't win this peeing contest with Haynesworth. It's gotten to the point now where Haynesworth is determining whether he'll even take the conditioning test. Haynesworth will be the starting DE for the Skins this year. His "knee" will start hurting again during the season if/when Haslett starts sliding him inside to Nose Tackle.

Posted by: coparker5 | August 3, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Well, if Minny is looking for a quarterback, I hear Colt Brennan is available.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 3, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse
----------------------------

Tavaris Jackson lead the Vikings to 10-6 the year before Farve, so I see no reason why he wouldn't have benefited from a year with Farve showing how its done, the emergence of Sidney Rice, and the arrival of Percy Harvin.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 3, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

This thing with Big Al is huge. It is as huge as Big Al is.

Anyone that thinks that Shanny is just like everybodyelse and he could be mishandling this Big Al situation, better think again.

For, if Big Al showed up in far better shape than he was last year, irregardless of this conditioning test and that is all it is, then Shanny is making a huge mistake to not let him practice.

You see this test doesn't mean a hill a beans as to whether or not Big Al can play better football than he did last year.

All the test does is measure Big Al's stamina and that's it. Stamina is extremely important, but this test for Al is less important because it doesn't similate what he goes through in a game.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | August 3, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

new thread on Orakpo...

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | August 3, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27 | August 3, 2010 11:21 AM

Holy sh*t, you gotta be kidding me...from what I saw of TN (and I saw them more than I cared to), their problems were with the secondary, not the line. They had a bunch of young DTs they wanted to play which was part of the reasoning behind letting AH go. Plus, TN has a nasty habit of having a big year and falling dramatically the next season. So don't blame the dip on losing AH...they're fine without him.

And we will be too. This team had Top 10 Defenses for most of the last decade without him...we'll do it again without him.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 3, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: coparker5 | August 3, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Problem with this theory is, among other things, it's the coaching staff that's making AH rest the swollen knee. Swollen = visible.

Posted by: Pepper5 | August 3, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Any idea if M. Kelly is practicing today?

Posted by: Devo2 | August 3, 2010 11:20 AM

I heard he wasn't.

Posted by: stevek20147 | August 3, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Ugh, I'm really hoping he and Thomas make strides. We really need these guys to perform. Otherwise Allen and Shannahan will be forced to waste money, picks, or other on replacing them. And all of those resources need to be devoted to other future areas of need like MLB, Center, RB, OG, QB. Damm you Vinny. Your tenure here will haunt us forever.

Posted by: Devo2 | August 3, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | August 3, 2010 11:23 AM |

LOL! Is Clinton the Capital of Dumb for Maryland?

The only loser in this has been Albert Haynesworth. People have hated him since the Gurode incident. Then he got winded at FedEx and carted off the field. Now he's shown himself up for being unable to pass a test that Golic can pass. He's made himself into a bigger laughing stock than Jim Zorn and Vinnie Cerrato, together.

Have you seen anyone (outside this blog) talking about what a great football player Haynesworth is? Have you seen teams trying to trade for him? This guy has a lot to prove, on the field, before anyone's going to take him seriously again.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 3, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

c'mon Moodly. Stick to the vernacular:

BEEPS!

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 3, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Can the WaPo please clear up if Big Al will be able to practice before he passes the conditioning test???

Oh wait... the WaPo has only said the following about 12,000 times in the past week... "Haynesworth must pass the test to participate in full practice with his teammates."

Thanks... we get it... rolling eyes...

For the record, MIKE GOLIC DID NOT PASS THE STAGED CONDITIONING TEST, and ESPN has now admitted and acknowledged that fact. ESPN put an independent clock on Golic and he failed both legs of the test. Granted, he did get close, but he failed and missed the times nonetheless. Big Al is much bigger, both in height and weight, and Mike Greenberg isn't holding the stopwatch for Big Al.

But... WHO CARES if it takes Al 2 weeks to pass the test? He isn't really missing all that much.

Fact #1... Big Al is in camp and is part of the team. He's a d-lineman. It's not like his job responsibilities are that diverse or complicated. He's still getting the instruction that he needs, both on the field and in classroom meetings.

Fact #2... Big Al has dropped a considerable amount of weight, which will, in it of itself, help his stamina this coming season. No linemen in the NFL has to run 300 yards in a game all at once. And even though some in the media and some fans like to criticize Al for his alleged lack of conditioning last year, Big Al STILL took the 2nd most snaps of any defensive lineman on the team last year.

Fact #3... Even if it takes Big All 2 weeks to pass the conditioning test, come September, he'll still be on the field wreaking havoc all over the NFL. The fact remains that our defense is significantly better with Big Al and he'll be out there come game day.

I'm not worried in the least. The WaPo just needs something to write and complain about. If it wasn't for Big Al, what would they have to write about? They'd probably be beating the dead horse of Colt being cut for the next 3 weeks. Of course, they'll probably still do that anyway... rolling eyes.

Posted by: SkinsFreak | August 3, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: beep-beep | August 3, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: Devo2 | August 3, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

i hate it when people (reid in this case) bring up money. why do they have to play him just because snyder has paid him a lot of money? that is the old snyder way of doing business. do what is best for the team. same thing with sorry clinton portis.

Posted by: slim4 | August 3, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | August 3, 2010 11:45 AM

There isn't a single player on this team who wouldn't trade contracts with Albert Haynesworth. If any laughing has been done, it's been Albert when he's going to the bank. Now stop all this petty bickering over an insignificant conditioning test. Keep your eyes on the prize.

The only loser has been Danny Snyder. But that's nothing new, now is it?

Posted by: HaynesworthsAgent | August 3, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

"And yeah, I am coming out in Big Al's corner, because when somebody as big as Big Al passes that test I will shut up.
All these folks that have been taking the test to somewhat show up Big Al, tell you what line up in front of him with pads, Big Al, no pads and see what happens to your butt.LarryInClintonMD."

Don't mind Larry, he's grieving over the loss of Shaun Livingston.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 3, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Just love when a plan comes together. Folks whom love to call people stupid without verifying facts.

BeepBeep, My posts are always based upon reasoned points of view, so before you hollow stupid, you ought check your own facts.

You don't see my posts regularly, but I have been here before, so cut the pettiness and verify when you want to holla at me.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | August 3, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Don't mind Larry, he's grieving over the loss of Shaun Livingston.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 3, 2010 12:05 PM

Okay Samson151, funny, but I had to get some of this Big Al action.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | August 3, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

For many years I had heard from fans of other football teams about the relative stupidity of Redskins fans; the comments from Skins fans throughout this non-drama has pretty much proven them right - how could any thinking human being size up the lack of depth and talent on the Redskins' DLine and expect that somehow Coach Shanahan (aka Dr. Teeth) has any options? Albert Haynesworth, for all of his detractors, is still THE MOST DOMINANT & TALENTED DEFENSIVE LINEMAN the Deadskins have had in the past 10 years (at least); who the h^ll else is gonna start in his place? Adam Carriker(sp)? Oh I know, that washed-up Samoan will be a real force in there (NOT)! Gimme a break! These idiots here need to get real. Tell ya what -- if the Deadskins were to cut Haynesworth (and they've done dumber things), he'd be on the street for every bit of 30 seconds before HALF THE LEAGUE would be lined up to sign him -- and anyone who isn't fooling himself here knows just that!

Posted by: guisher | August 3, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

@Posted by: SkinsFreak | August 3, 2010 11:48 AM

SkinsFreak, I agree 100% with everything you wrote. When I viewed the Golic test, I did not think that he had passed the test. Also, people on this board seem not to want to acknowledge the fact that Albert played the second most snaps of any DLineman for us last year.

If you listen to some folks, you would think that a cart was brought out onto the field every third snap, every game, for the 12 games Albert played in. Well to each his or her own.

Posted by: dbailey211 | August 3, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Mayor -- How did AH screw up his knee? Isn't that a workout issue in itself? That is, while AH was working out by himself, did he screw up the knee? Not build up the muscles he'd need to support it? etc.

Posted by: WorstSeat | August 3, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

WHY ?

Posted by: helloisanyoneoutthere | August 3, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Of course he'll start, assuming his knee is okay. The NFL is full of players who don't do much during training camp and still start. Everyone knows the pre-season is too long. He's the $100 million man. You're going to sit him because he failed a test no one else took?

Posted by: interactingdc | August 3, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

=============================

If Snyder so much as looks in Shanahan's direction to even THINK about uttering a statement with regard to Fat Albert's playing time, Shannahan should quit immediately and let Snyder complete the destruction of one of the best fan bases in the NFL.

stop trying to manufacture a situation, you know darn well that Snyder hasn't said a word.

Fat Albert got that contract on Cerrato's watch. Shannahan doesn't have to play him at all. He can sit out like Sean Gilbert and who would care? Not me, and I've got 4 season tickets, a parking pass and kids that like to douse themselves with $4 waters during the preseason games.

Posted by: ProfessorWrightBSU | August 3, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Jason--

The NFLPA would *not* have anything to say if Shanahan didn't play Haynesworth--that's completely in the team's discretion. That's just not an NFLPA matter.

They would get involved if, e.g., the Skins tried to claw back some of his bonus money, arguing that his willful failure to attend camp or otherwise get in appropriate shape over the off-season substantially undermined his ability to contribute in preseason training camp (and it would probably also require some malfeasance in the training camp period--such as not trying hard enough to get in shape to pass the conditioning test--in order to trigger the penalty clause, though not the violation clause):

Here's the relevant CBA language: singing bonus $ can be forfeited "if a player willfully takes action that has the effect of substantially undermining his ability to fully participate and contribute in either preseason training camp or the regular season (including by willfully withholding his services in either preseason training camp or during the regular season or willfully missing one or more games), the player may forfeit the greater of: (a) 25% of the prorated portion of his signing bonus for the applicable League Year for the first time such conduct occurs after the beginning of training camp until the end of the season for his Club, and the remaining 75% prorated portion of his signing bonus for the applicable year for the second time such conduct occurs during that period that year."

Posted by: JerseyCity | August 3, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Could still start? Was there ever any doubt. One thing I've learned about DC Football fans. They don't know football....just emotions. They know about the emotion of winning, the emotion of hating Dallas, the emotion of hating people telling them how and when to change(signing Black players in the late 50's and refusing to change Redskin name). Now, it's Albert's money. This big burly quite mean looking giant of a black man making 100 million is something some oldtimers just can't deal with. Not a racial thing per se...but a modern athlete thing. We need to get over it!! Haynesworth was the second best defensive player on the team last year. True X and O knowledgeable sports fans know this. But all idiots want to talk about is his salary. Haynesworth is the best defensive linemen in football and virtually unblock-able. Wake up so-called fans. Get over the money. It's not coming out of our tax dollars or private income. Get over it!!

Posted by: kentonsmith | August 3, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

If you follow WSOP - the $32M is already in the pot. The question is what are the odds of winning by betting part or all of the $3.6M, or whether the 'Skins are already "drawing dead."

Perhaps Fat Albert should be a "third down specialist". He could then suck O during the first two downs and be ready to rush the passer on third. Those that say he is the best or even one of the better defensive linemen, must mean on some given play when he is fresh. He needs to appear in the 4th quarter to be considered anything above ordinary.

The biggest beneficiary of Fat Albert may be Gilbert Arenas, who is no longer the main object of fans ire.

Posted by: lrmc623 | August 3, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

I hope Big Al comes in and has a great year! Take that all you haters! BTW,F-Dallas!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | August 3, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

I notice that a lot of the people hating Albert and calling him names are the same people who were hating LeBron. Apparently a lot of people are uncomfortable with a big black man being free to earn a lot of money and being free to change his job. They prefer things the old way, and are very happy when a man like Shanahan is there to oversee Haynesworth and crack the whip while overseeing him.

Posted by: Nemo24601 | August 3, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Obviously, Haynesworth has handled the entire off season wrong, and I agree w/ Shanahan making somewhat of an example of him at the beginning of training camp to at least prove who's in charge. My biggest problem from what I read is that it is supposedly his knee preventing him from passing the conditioning test, which management apparently knew about since last season. If that is the actually true, then the skins mgmt needs to be held more resposible for signing that bonus check if they knew he really couldn't perform. After all, 2 plays and playing hurt last season should have given them a clue.

Posted by: TTURNER4111 | August 3, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse