Don't put much stock in speculation about a Haynesworth trade

The latest dust up between Albert Haynesworth and Coach Mike Shanahan has renewed media speculation about Haynesworth possibly being traded, suspended or fined.

After speaking with numerous team and league sources for months, we don't believe the Redskins plan to trade Haynesworth. Coach Mike Shanahan passed on a chance to complete a deal for the two-time all-pro before the draft, and many within the organization believe Haynesworth could be among the keys to a successful transition from the 4-3 scheme to defensive coordinator Jim Haslett's 3-4.

As for the possibility of the Redskins taking disciplinary action against Haynesworth, well, anything is possible. But Haynesworth, to this point, has not done anything that would rise to the level of receiving a fine or suspension that would likely be upheld in the grievance process, two sources familiar with the collective bargaining agreement's disciplinary language said.

After Haynesworth skipped June's mandatory minicamp, there was a report the Redskins would attempt to reclaim a portion of the $21 million bonus he was paid in April. The Redskins fined Haynesworth $10,000 for failing to attend the camp - the maximum amount under the CBA - and another undisclosed amount for missing a scheduled physical, the sources said.

General Manager Bruce Allen has not pursued Haynesworth's bonus, probably because he realizes the CBA language is clear on this front. Of course, Allen could pursue disciplinary action, but it is highly doubtful the Redskins would prevail, and taking that road would only escalate a situation that has been a major distraction in Coach Mike Shanahan's first season in control of the football operation.

The Redskins play host to the Dallas Cowboys on Sept. 12 at FedEx Field, and they need to get Haynesworth ready to play right end. Haynesworth took reps at right end in the first-team nickel package Wednesday during practice, and it wouldn't be surprising if the nine-year veteran maintained that spot Friday night against the New York Jets at New Meadowlands Stadium.

By Jason Reid  |  August 25, 2010; 12:45 PM ET
Categories:  Albert Haynesworth
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Andre Carter has the edge on Lorenzo Alexander at OLB
Next: Haynesworth won't start Friday, will play NT and DE

Comments

www.rebelalliancereggae.com

Posted by: unknownsouljah | August 25, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

and SECOND to say Albert is a bizzznitch.

Posted by: unknownsouljah | August 25, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Last week, didn't practice didn't go with the 1st team. This week, practiced, will go with 1st team.

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | August 25, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know if McNabb practiced today or any update on his ankle?

Posted by: zjenks | August 25, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Shanahan is going to let this thing play out. My guess is that he won't mend fences with Albert until he's seen Albert deliver on the field for a handful of games.

Meanwhile, hopefully its dawning on Albert that the only way he can save face ... and earn big bucks down the road ... is to play well.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 25, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

I'm thinking several Oline back ups are not yet on the team. BA and Shanny will pounce once teams start making roster cut downs.

We may as well get a good long look at Sexy running the show with the ones. Yes, DMac could use the time to further refine his game w/in this new offense, but it will be good to get a look at SR and see if we are truly F'ed if 5 goes down during the year.

As I have known and posted before, DT is too f'ing stupid and emotionally underdeveloped to truly excel at the NFL level. Sad, but true.

We may as well just accept the fact that MK, DT, and CR were completely blown draft picks. Yeah, I know that's not flash traffic up here in jibba jabba land... of the three, i think MK12 still has the best chance of being a real player.

Maybe DT11 will prove me an idiot. I certainly hope so.... but i really doubt it.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 25, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

DMac sat out again; said ankle is feeling much better. Will prolly get some time vs Cardinals.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 25, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Thanks skinsfaninKanehoe. I was worried it would turn out like okung and be a high sprain which could be disasterous.

Posted by: zjenks | August 25, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Way to break the news, Jason Reid. Love this insider stuff you're putting up here. Can't get this anywhere else. Once again, you've scooped Pro Football Talk and BeantownGreg.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 25, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

"MK, DT, and CR were completely blown draft picks."

CR22? Completely blown? You'll have to explain this. CR22 has started for the better part of 5 years, and been decent. If he could ever hang onto interceptions, he might be a pro-bowler.

You could definitely say he's underperformed for where he was drafted, but I wouldn't write his epitaph just yet.

Posted by: Alan4 | August 25, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

@Alan4

I agree on CR22. And I'll add that he has clearly been a star of pre-season from the view point of many sources and coaches.

I'd go so far as to say he's had one of the top 3-5 performances in camp from what I've read.

We need him to play big this year and I think Haslett will put him into position to do it. Plus he's in position to cash in if a contract year.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | August 25, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

"Don't put much stock in speculation about a Haynesworth trade"

Who puts '...stock in speculation...'?

Guessing and gambling are the province of Wall Street and Las Vegas, not RI where our illegal summertime speculation about AH was Made Off of a lack of regular threads.

This seems like a fire-the-editor moment.

You either 'speculate' or you don't.

And you can't put true value into acts of empty conjecture anyways.

Perhaps this should read:

Don't speculate about a possible Haynesworth trade.

Well, we won't.

Unless, of course, there's one you'd like to discuss.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 25, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if the Redskins could trade Haynesworth to one of those Intense Football League teams...

In all seriousness, folks, I think the team is stuck with Haynesworth and we'll be dealing with these sporadic meltdowns all season long - or until the big guy hurts himself.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 25, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

CR22? Completely blown?

Posted by: Alan4 | August 25, 2010 1:32 PM

Pretty sure the CR that Kaneohe was talking about Chad Rinehart.

Posted by: creativefunk | August 25, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 25, 2010 1:11 PM
------------------------------------------
Agree all three were a bust - disagree about Kelly being a bust. One thing is for sure, Vinny would need to spend a long time on street corners giving nickel BJ's just to get his dignity back after that draft.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 25, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 25, 2010 1:11 PM
------------------------------------------

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 25, 2010 1:43 PM
-----------------------------------------
I meant I disagree that MK is the only guy that could still end up being a keeper from that group.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 25, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 25, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

@ creativefunk

Thanks. That makes more sense.

Posted by: Alan4 | August 25, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 25, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Jason Reid, u r a genuis for this record breaking news. That they cannot trade Fat Al. Say what!!!

Where are all of the super bloggers that have applauded Coach S and his tactics?

History lesson: When Jimmy Johnson decided to trade Hershal Walker, he did not put him down, embarrass him, degrade him, etc.
He played him, let him be very productive on a bad team, hyped him up, etc.
Be4 the dumb Viking traded like 10 picks mostly #1's and #2's + players for one guy named Hershal.

But did coach try this? Nope
So a trade?
Where's Jim Mora to shout "trade? trade? trade?"

Posted by: morrisday1 | August 25, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

im the scat man!
skibidididbidiampbaob, adisdkaerpobabobab

Posted by: BMACattack | August 25, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Moe,

Why'd you have to go and write that?

I have been feeling bad about endlessly cracking on Reid and co....to the point that I was going to swear off any non football conjecture on Reid's blog professionalism, writing ability, grammar, weight issues etc.

Now, you have thrust to the forefront the fact that the best fan base in the NFL has a "Slow Boy and his merry band of hack jobs" as our inside source at out flagship paper.

Thanks for reminding me....

Can someone post a link to Keim's web site?

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | August 25, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 25, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

For those still tracking Marko, it seems that the Vikes don't necessarily see him as a viable fill-in for Rice because they have apparently executed a trade for a veteran receiver today, according to PFT: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/25/vikings-trade-for-veteran-receiver/

Posted by: manlius1 | August 25, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

CR does not equal CR22.

Try and fing pay attention people.

Clue: Pizza burglar.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 25, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 25, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

CR does not equal CR22.

Try and fing pay attention people.

Clue: Pizza burglar.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 25, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Got it. What does it say about the Cerrato era that we have multiple "potential busts" with the same initials?

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | August 25, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 25, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 25, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

manlius1

Greg Carmillo is very, very good, and will have a great season in Minn..

That's a nice move all around.

Good post.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 25, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

John Keim: Oh, by the way, McNabb used air quotes when he said that the trainers told him he had a sprain. poking fun at 92 a bit. #Redskins 4 minutes ago via web

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 25, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

I normally refrain from talking about Vinny, but since this thread is a Hayneworth thread this is relevent (and kind of funny):

» Former Redskins executive vice president of football operations Vinny Cerrato said one reason Washington signed Albert Haynesworth was because Sherman Smith provided a good review. Smith had been on Tennessee’s coaching staff when Haynesworth played for the Titans. “I think we talked to a lot of people, plus Sherman Smith had been on the Tennessee staff for a number of years — he knew Albert very well,” Cerrato told 106.7 The Fan. “We had first-hand information on Albert, [knew] everything about the guy because Sherman was there from the time Albert got there.”

» However, Smith told CSNwashington.com that it’s “ridiculous” that Cerrato in part blamed him. “They wouldn’t give a guy a $100 million contract based only on what I said,” Smith said. “I told them exactly about our experience in Tennessee and said you guys make the decision.” Smith said his advice was boiled down to two words: buyer beware. “The people in that meeting know what I said — you won’t find one guy in that meeting who will come out and say what Vinny said,” Smith said. “Not one.”

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/sports/blogs/redskins-confidential/Redskins-notebook-082410-101441409.html#ixzz0xdqA41Wc

Posted by: Alan4 | August 25, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

I dont think CR22 is a bust, not does he have the potential to ever be called a bust. He is an above avg #1 cover corner who has trouble holding pics, especially at big moments in big games.

I think MK DT and *CRpb can all already be classified as busts, because as they enter year 3 we are HOPING we can salvage something out of them.

*Chad Rineheart, pizza burglar

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 25, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

MK12 still has the best chance of being a real player.
Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe|
---------------------------------------

Why do you say this?...He hasn't done anything since he's been here....i know he's been hurt and hadn't had much opportunity..but thats just it he's always been hurt ....I guess since he hasn't been playing and hadn't had chances to drop passes or run routes wrong or fail to fight off a DB for the ball..you have nothing to say he wont be a player...you also have nothing to say he will...at this point in time i'll take DT11 over MK12 any day....

Posted by: jcnjcnj | August 25, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

MK, DT, and CR were completely blown draft picks."

Posted by: Alan4

Is CR22 any more of a bust than Dirty 30? Landry was the 5th PICK OVERALL in the 2007 draft. He was picked 5th in a stocked draft -- ahead of Adrian Petersen, Patrick Willis, Darelle Revis, Jon Beason, et al. Landry's been in the League 3 years and his calling card is the spectacular whiffed tackle and the late hit out of bounds. Yes, he played out of position for 2 years, blah, blah, but a baller is a baller. We'd be in much worse shape losing CR22 to injury than we would losing 30, and I'm far from a CR22 fan. Just sayin'.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | August 25, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

I love the name "pizza burglar" -- hope that sticks for Rineheart up in here.

Posted by: manlius1 | August 25, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

waitinguilty

"...I have been feeling bad about endlessly cracking on Reid and co.."

Part of the reason I feel free to insult Reid & Co. is because of my job.

I toss pies at lame comedians for a living.

I live in a peanut gallery.

I inservice monkeys who can't throw their sh!t straight.

And, that last point explains why I'm so quick to point out the failings of the dudes who run this blog.

La Canfora got it way worst than these people, trust me.

And my brown, smelly hands stand as proof.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 25, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Not hard to decide on how well we've drafted. Just the round 1 top 4 guys since 2005:

1st round picks
Campbell, CR22, LL30, Orakpo

2nd round picks
Rocky, FDavis, Kelly, Thomas

3rd round picks
Rinehart, Barnes, Jarmon

4th round picks
Manuel White, Tryon

The only clear overachiever is Orakpo. Rocky has also delivered good value. Davis looks like the real deal, but he's in a timeshare with Cooley, limiting his value.

By my estimate, 10 of the 13 guys have underperformed their draft slot ... though some still have a realistic opportunity to change that

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 25, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

@ Alan4: I absolutely cannot believe that Vinny would ever a.) lie, and b.) try to blame someone else for his f-up.

Posted by: RCBJr | August 25, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 25, 2010 1:58 PM

Hoping they have video of this....I can see it now....lmao

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 25, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

"CR does not equal CR22. Try and fing pay attention people. Clue: Pizza burglar."

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 25, 2010 1:50 PM

You're the one who's trying to communicate something. Next time, don't be ambiguous about it.

Posted by: rufus_t_firefly | August 25, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

"Regardless of what Shanahan's feelings may be about Haynesworth, the coach is all about winning. Haynesworth is still with the Redskins because Shanahan believes he can help them win.By Jason Reid"

And apparently none of the other NFL clubs believe he can help them win, at least enough to give up anything worth having in return.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 25, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

@ Samson: I don't think its that other clubs DON'T think Tubby could help them win, I think its that they realize the "juice isn't worth the squeeze." Its a simple cost/benefit ratio, except in this case, the "cost" isn't money, its team chemistry. Teams don't want to bring in a guy who, RIGHT NOW, is a cancer in the locker room. They'll bring in T.O. or Pac-Man because they've been out of the limelight for a while and have kept their noses (relatively) clean. Tubby hasn't done either - first he no-shows a physcial and OTAs, then he shows up out of shape, and now he's badmouthing the team and the coach in the media because he's mad about playing with the 2nd team. I would be willing to bet good money that Tubby wouldn't have said a word if he had played first team D and came out of the game when the first team D came out.

Posted by: RCBJr | August 25, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: manlius1

I'm waiting for the day Marko Mitchell gets cut from the Vikes. Oh what a great day of RI posting that will be.

Posted by: Predator48 | August 25, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Yet the post reported a few weeks back that the skins had planned to go after the signing bonus which they never said they would. It's why I take what they write with a grain of salt.

Posted by: keedrow | August 25, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Haynesworth is a first class knuckle-head. If I were Shanahan I'd keep him for the duration of his contract and only put him in when with a minute left and; the game has already been decided. I'd like to see how much he'd like those apples. What a jerk.

Posted by: carterm1 | August 25, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Haynesworth is a first class knuckle-head. If I were Shanahan I'd keep him for the duration of his contract, only put him in when there's a minute left after the game has already been decided. I'd like to see how much he'd like those apples. What a jerk.

Posted by: carterm1 | August 25, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: carterm1 | August 25, 2010 3:06 PM
------------------------------
as a Redskin fan I am so happy you are not Shanahan....that's a ridiculous idea

Posted by: jcnjcnj | August 25, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

rufus: I guess its my fault that you (and others) have ZERO ability to put information in context.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 25, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Proposed Trade: Haynesworth and Kelly (and draft pick if that's what it takes) for the SD Chargers malcontents Jackson and McNeil. The Ravens (even in the preseason) exposed how week we are on the OL. McNeil would help. The injury to McNaab is being down played but he was bum rushed and will be bum rushed again. Jackson will boost or WR who are probably the slowest in the division. With Cooley and Davis we are formidable but without them we don;t really scare any one. With a 6'5 230 wide receiver we are there. I say if they can pull this trade even with a high draft pick if it gets the deal done. Jackson would be worth it alone actually even with 3 games. But we need to pull the trigger before it's 6 games. We let TO and Westbrook slip away when all he signed for was 1.2 million plus incentives, surely we could have given him that look at what we gave Haynesworth. Do this thing man!!!!

Posted by: washdc11 | August 25, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

____________________
Fancy way of saying "Haynesworth has not done anything wrong".

Posted by: Nemo24601 | August 25, 2010 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Wait a minute! Shanahan blocked a Haynesworth trade? Who's the General Manager, him or Allen? What is the chain of command when it comes to personnel decisions? If Shanahan comes before Allen then they might as well have kept Vinny Cerrato.

In well-run organizations, coaches have input. General Managers make decisions.

I know, I know. What' my point? We're talking about the Redskins here.

Posted by: noslok | August 26, 2010 12:21 AM | Report abuse