Hall: 'It's a standoff' between Redskins, Haynesworth

Cornerback DeAngelo Hall is among few Redskins players who are close with Pro Bowl defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth. So it was not surprising that Hall and Haynesworth had a lengthy phone conversation Tuesday night shortly after Haynesworth revealed he would not attend the minicamp that began Wednesday and wants to be traded.

Many players harshly criticized Haynesworth, but Hall said the situation is more complicated than it seems. Haynesworth no longer trusts the Redskins because he contends they reneged on promises, and it's just a bad situation for everyone, Hall said.

"Obviously, he's made it known he doesn't want to be here and the ball's in their court," Hall said after rain-shortened practice at Redskins Park. "They can either go two ways. They can either force him to be here or they can try to help get him out of here. We look at it like he's going to do what he wants to do. It's a situation where he's made it known what he wants. They've made it known what they want and now it's a standoff. You know? It's a standoff, and he's got as much cash to stay at home as long as he wants.

"Obviously, being a player and a teammate, you want a guy like that on your team. I talked to him last night for about an hour and it's a tough situation. I understand a hundred percent where he's coming from. I don't think a lot of people understand the background behind it. I think maybe they understand a little bit after reading [about Haynesworth's stance], I think they kind of saw a little bit of it. But they might not really understand from the outside looking in."

Haynesworth thought he had found a perfect situation for himself in free agency, Hall said, but he was wrong.

"I was telling some of the coaches, man, when you're a free agent and you have the opportunity to go anywhere you want to go and it's your pick, not going in the draft and getting traded, you want to go somewhere you feel like you can prosper you can make plays," Hall said. "He felt like in the defense we had last season he could do that. I thought the same way about the defense we had. That was part of the big reason I came back. I had the chance to play in it for half a year and I liked it.

"I was like, 'I like this joint. I'm going to come back.' I love GB [Greg Blache] the coordinator. I love my position coach. But change in inevitable in the NFL. It's gonna happen eventually. We didn't win games [the team went 4-12] so we had a regime change. For me on the back end [of the new 3-4 defense] not a lot has changed. It's probably changed for the best for me. I get a chance to probably make more plays than before. So I can't complain. But had I been playing corner my whole career and then they asked me to do something completely different, I might be a little resistant to change, too."

And as for the players who are upset about Haynesworth's absence, Hall believes their comments might change if the two-time all-pro reports to training camp in late July as expected.

"I guarantee they're the same guys when he comes, or if he comes, they'll be the first ones smiling in his face," Hall said. "You know, it's funny how that works. A lot of people say a lot of stuff off the record or behind your back.

"And as soon as they get in your face, they got nothing but good things to say about you, and they're encouraging you and giving you all the praise. So, I mean, a lot of people are going to see this however they feel it affects them. Like I said, somebody might see it this way [and] might not want him back at all. Some people might [say], 'Hey bring him back. We'd love to have him.' "

By Jason Reid and Zach Berman  |  June 16, 2010; 3:32 PM ET
Categories:  Albert Haynesworth
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: In other (non-Haynesworth) news...
Next: Haynesworth's teammates not feeling charitable

Comments

Call Albert's agent. Here's the script:

Your client is getting sued by a guy he paralyzed in a car accident, by his ex-wife, and by a baby mama to be. Now he's gonna get sued by us. He's also pi$$ing off his teammates and the other players in the NFL who are going to lose out on bonuses because of this.

Your guy is on his way to becoming penniless and friendless. Your guy has a whole lot of garbage going on in his world. You better help him figure out his best friends in the whole darn world are right here in Redskins Park. We're mad at him today, but the damage can be repaired.

The sooner your guy gets his act together, the more likely we can put this thing back together again. If he doesn't get his act together, and soon, he has a lot to lose.

Posted by: zcezcest1

To people with a reasonable amount of common sense, logic, and integrity, this argument would hold water.

But I'm not sure Albert falls in those categories. And I'm not sure his agent is going to be saying anything to him AH doesn't want to hear.

But you've sketched out a likely scenario for AH's downfall--one that by all accounts is well deserved,

Posted by: TheCork | June 16, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

If we can get a 2nd rounder or higher for him - do it.

If not PUNISH the greedy bastard to send a message - just keep throwing his untrained, clueless, lard-ball butt into double teams until he gets hurt ... hopefully badly then stick him on IR and tell him to go home and get even fatter so he can never ruin anyone else's team again.

He may have 30 million now but he's dumb enough to piss it all away and when he goes looking to play later no one will want him.

Posted by: mac2j | June 16, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Can we get rid of DHall too? He typifies the type of me-first player that Vinny loved to hoard. Trust me, if Haslett asked him to switch to free safety, he'd be pulling the same stunt that Fat Al's pulling right now. Isn't Darrell Green available? I heard he's still pretty fast...

Posted by: rucks35 | June 16, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

good stuff cork....agreed....

logic, and reason left a LONG time ago, with it comes to AH/Speck

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 16, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Funny how FatA$$ can't even be bothered to speak up for himself, but will rely on others to speak for him.

Posted by: Vic1 | June 16, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

"You know, it's funny how that works. A lot of people say a lot of stuff off the record or behind your back." -- DHall

Did he not hear Fletcher's comments this morning? Those are about as 'on the record' and 'in your face' as possible.

Posted by: 4-12 | June 16, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

beeps, and 713, there is no choice to be made....I hope you weren't being serious...you go to the game...there is no other choice...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 16, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse
_______

Yeah, I'm just babbling. Of course I'm going to the game. I would never disappoint him like that. I'll either watch it late Thursday night if the Lakers win, or maybe some other day if they lose.

Losing Perkins sure will be tough for you, though. Welcome to the Lakers' world. Bynum = hurt and gone for the 2008 finals loss; hurt and about 10% for the 2009 finals win, and hurt and 50% or so (maybe) for 2010, although I give him mad props this year for gutting it out like he has.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | June 16, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

HE should have kept his mouth shut on this one...

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 16, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

I like Hall better when he wasn't standing up for AH. No comment would have been better, what Albert's doing isn't defensible.

Haynesworth isn't a victim. Yea he may have been told one thing a year ago, but he knew the deal with the defense when he took the check for 20 mil.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | June 16, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4-12 | June 16, 2010 3:47 PM

He wasn't talking about LFB...he was talkin about annonymous sources, such as...

I'm sure he didn't hear what Fletch said either because they were prob giving interviews around the same time....

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 16, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

What's up with all the D-Hall hate?

He's practicing and not complaining about it.

True, he occasionally has diarrhea of the mouth, but he's still better than Carlos Rogers.

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 16, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

It's all a wash. Albert and the Redskins reworked his contract last year so he can void some years starting next year and it covers the Redskins if he does exactly what he's doing. The kicker? He has to pay back the signing bonus money which is $16.8M and that's what's going to choke him. In an uncapped year like this one is it was smart of the Redskins to convert his money to a signing bonus and eat it all in one year because they can get all or most of it back. He can report or sit on the bench but if he wants out of here it's gonna cost him...big time.

Posted by: bullwinkle1 | June 16, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

This is the crowning moment of the Vinny Cerrato disaster. Long live the King of Ineptitude and Prince of Incompetence

Posted by: jpfterps | June 16, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

What is that old saying, "Better to have people wonder at your stupidity than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"? D. Hall just removed all doubt.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 16, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork

didn't add, but maybe should have, that if Albert goes down, the agent's biz might spiral down as well. The agent has an incentive in this as well. Albert could cash anywhere between $10-$50million in paychecks over the rest of his career. To an agent, that's a big $$ difference.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 16, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Whats behind the scenes that we dont understand. The team told him he was free to go by April 1st, and after April 1st when they gave him 21 mil, his ass belonged to the skins. He took the check. Give it back and walk on dude. And take DHall with you. Way to back up your teammates and support the organization that took a chance on you DHall. And Haynesworth didnt like the D last year or Blache. We just supposed to let Haynesworth handpick the coaching staff. Fletch said it best, me first gets you 4-12.

Posted by: wjeremy26 | June 16, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

D. Hall is a Jacka$$. Package him with this loser for a 2nd and a 3rd.

Posted by: MattHouston | June 16, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

"...or they can try to help get him out of here"

Are you kidding me? I was starting to warm up to DHall, but he is just as miserable and classless as I thought. Help AH out? You mean go along with what his agent asked for and let him go without getting any of the $21M roster bonus back? Fletcher has established himself as the type of player that fans will be talking about in a good way 10-15 years from now, not a joke like Stubby or Archuletta, as he is not afraid to speak the truth. I wish that I could hear LaVar give an alibi for AH this afternoon, comparing it to how badly he was treated by the Redskins.

I believe Shanahan when he said this morning that they gave AH at 2 months to work something out, but that once he took the roster bonus he was expected to be in camp. Any pick - 1st, 2nd, 3rd - would not be enough compensation if there is no cash changing hands and that scenario seems highly unlikely. It is easy for me to say, but I would gladly run out to BestBuy and pickup a nice 55" LCD and write the check for NFL Sunday Ticket so that AH could watch what he will be missing.

Loser!

Posted by: TheOneWhoHurtsMost | June 16, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

4th, no doubt.

What does Hall have to gain by saying any of this, what, to let Haynesworth and the rest of us know 'I got ya back'?

Stupid, now it's obvious it's some level of division in the locker room on this ridiculous subject. Because you better believe if DeAngelo Hall feels this way about Haynesworth so do some other players.

Yes, "he should've kept his mouth shut" is dead on. Man, I'm tellin' ya when it rains it pours around this joint.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 16, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bullwinkle1 | June 16, 2010 3:53 PM

here are some details on conversion of AH's option bonus to a signing bonus, with a little information about forfeiture:

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 16, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Another script, different approach.

Shanahan calls:

I need you to figure out how to rebuild this relationship. I need you to go down to see Albert and figure out what is at the bottom of all this and how to fix it. It could be the move to a 3-4, or it could be the guy's a clueless 2 year old. Or anything else. Go find out, and figure out how Albert and I can fix this thing and both be better for it. And oh yeah, see if he's fat.

Here's your plane ticket, Darrell Green. Even though I know I know you could probably run there just as fast.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 16, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

I wish they'd cut MeAngelo Halls ass too.....he obviously doesn't get it.... i wish they had never signed him back here to begin with. I'd take my chances with Barnes, Buchanon, or Westbrook......fock Hall and his me-first mentality....the sooner we get rid of the attitudes like this, the better off our team will be.

Posted by: frmi | June 16, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | June 16, 2010 4:00 PM

Personally I find nothing wrong with Hall's comments. He has a right to his opinion and an equal right to express his opinion when asked. Doesn't mean he won't tow the company line when it's all said and done.

But to your point RedDMV about a divided locker, for this reason the AH situation needs to be dealt with in a manner in which the team will not get too distracted. Luckily there is a few weeks break before training camp in which players, coaches etc can get some semblance of relief from the Haynesworth debacle.

Posted by: TWISI | June 16, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

z, a relationship involves 2 parties....when 1 of the parties, acts like a petulant 8 year old, you cannot make progress...what makes you think that AH knows who, or cares for that matter, who Green is.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 16, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

here's an another piece by J. I. Halsell that explains the original terms of the contract:

and here's the proper link to his piece on option vs. signing bonuses:

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 16, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

D Hall you don't need to step in the crap and smear it around just cause it's on the sidewalk. What a genius.

Put AH on the shelf until someone makes an offer.

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | June 16, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | June 16, 2010 4:10 PM
------------------------------------------
I have a problem when a player tries to sell a line of BS that they choose their team in free agency because it is where they want to go. Please don't insult my intelligence, D. Hall. It is all about the money. All. About. The. Money. How does Hall rationalize Haynesworth taking the bonus and agreeing to play nose or end, and then backing out on that while keeping the money? Money? That word seems to keep coming up. Why did Mr. Hall sign witht he Raiders even though they have the most dysfunctional front office in football? Must have been the money. Why did he re-sign in Washington? Was it because he loved Greg Blache? Nooooo. It was for the money...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 16, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

beeps, new thread.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 16, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

* beep beep *

...new post...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | June 16, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 |

Greg, I know its tough to see any light after last night's Celtic beatdown, but get a clue. You don't really know what is up with Albert. Nor do I.

The Skins have sunk $32 million into this guy, and he's the best talent on the team. You try to reach him, even if he's being an 8 year old.

As for AH knowing who Darrell Green is, yeah, I think he knows. fwiw, Brett Fuller is another guy I might consider for this job.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 16, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

I don't think hiring Haslet and installing a 3-4 was the best use of our top defensive players. They probably knew the risk of pissing off some players like AH. But they thought they could trade him.
I thought they paid him to make him more dealable. Shocking there arent more trade partners given that he is quite affordable.
That backfired on us.

Cut our losses now before it get's to be a major distraction. Take the highest offer, or the worst organization with a decent offer, that way we can get in a parting shot at him. Call Buffalo too see what they would give us for him.

Posted by: Gibbs4Pres | June 16, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

The only real positive here is that the Redskins are NOT one player away from contending for a Super Bowl title.

This team can get by without Haynesworth and still show quite a bit of improvement on the field in 2010.

In 2011 the club can use a draft pick to snag a younger inside DT for the 3-4 to back up Kemoeatu and groom for the future.

Haynesworth delivered how many wins for this team last year?

Jimmy Johnson used to say that if he could lose WITH you, he could lose WITHOUT you.

There are really no sacred cows on a 4-12 team.

Posted by: RoyHobbs4 | June 16, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Shut the Hell up Hall...Go get an education. Learn from Clinton Portis, he shut up and is working out. Your Ass got burned nuff times last year. Grow Up, Some One Flush Fat Albert down the Toilet.

Posted by: unknownsouljah | June 16, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: unknownsouljah | June 16, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

I say they Sean Gilbert this guy and let him sit or assigned to 3rd string…….seems he has too many years in NFL to put him on Practice squad.
Though I would be amused if Danny just decided to sit on the contract and make him sit forever or fine him for eternity then put him on the PUP/DNA list….ending his career in the NFL essentially….I wonder if he is picking out a TV to send to Haynesworth’s house as we speak. LOL.

“$21M of his money comes in the form of option bonus. Why is this alarming you ask? Well, as a result of a case involving the contract of Ashlie Lelie, teams can no longer collect option bonus money from the player should he do anything to be in default of his contract. Not to say that folks don't change or have bad days, but to have so much guaranteed money unexposed to forfeiture for a player who once stomped a player in a game is a bit of a concern. (UPDATE: as it turns out, the Redskins shrewdly protected themselves from the forfeiture issue by placing language in the contract that allows them to convert Haynesworth's Option Bonus to Signing Bonus when they exercise the option. Signing Bonus money can be recovered from a defaulting player, so if Haynesworth has another bad day, the team is protected.)”

“In his infamous $100 million contract of 2009, Haynesworth had a $21 million option bonus. As part of the deal, the Redskins reserved the right to convert that option bonus to signing bonus, and that’s exactly what they did according to league sources. However, they did this conversion with a slight twist. Not only did they convert the option bonus to a $21 million signing bonus, but they also added a voidable provision by which if Haynesworth pays back $16.8 million of the signing bonus, then the 2011 – 2014 contract years void away. From a team salary accounting standpoint, because the voidable is solely in the player’s control, the proration of the signing bonus does not go into 2011 – 2014, meaning all of the $21 million signing bonus counts in the uncapped year of 2010. As a result, Haynesworth’s team salary number in 2010 went from $8.8 million to a whopping $25.6 million. His subsequent team salary numbers are $6.4 million, $8.2 million, $10 million, $10.8 million, and $12.8 million respectively. With this new voidable provision, if Haynesworth decides he's unhappy with his role in the Redskins' new 3-4 defense and he can come to an agreement in principle with a new team that would guarantee him the $16.8 million he'd have to pay back to the Redskins, then in theory 2010 could Haynesworth's last year in Washington.”

Posted by: GoonieGooGoo | June 16, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

How many games did DeAngelo Hall lose for us last year. I agree with an ealier post...trade him to!

Posted by: Stevendavis1 | June 16, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

DHALL NEEDS TO STFU. SO TIRED OF HEARING THIS CLOWN EVERY WEEK LIKE AS A SELF-APPOINTED LEADER. HE ISN'T EVEN GOOD. STFU! THANKS VINNY FOR ALL THE WINNERS YOU BROUGHT HERE!

Posted by: artsnsportz | June 16, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

The NEW regime made the clownish decision to make a major fix to the Redskins' truly unbroken defense while facing overwhelming chaos elsewhere, so it doesn't surprise me that they lost all credibility with as great a defensive player as Haynesworth. That he's taken his immature pouting past the start of minicamp, dishearteningly, does. He should pick up his jaw and come in.

Posted by: dcfanoutwest | June 16, 2010 6:13 PM | Report abuse

To start out as head coach of the 2010 Redskins with switching to a 3-4 among your priorities is like being elected Governor of Louisiana and divide your efforts equally among the Katrina and BP coastal crises and rearranging the Mardi Gras parade schedules.

Posted by: dcfanoutwest | June 16, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Hey D. Hall...so your saying it's ok for him to take 21 million and run with the money and play somewhere else without earning the money the Skins paid him? Your endorsing this as he has been wronged some how because the defense cahnged ??? Where are you guys smoking crack together? Wuld love to ease drop!

Posted by: leevi98 | June 16, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Hall's an idiot... should stop sticking up for AH unless he wants the town to turn on him too.

Posted by: chris_zz | June 16, 2010 6:42 PM | Report abuse

1) fat albert restructured his contract on March 12 -- about 2 weeks before he was due a $21 million bonus.

2) at that time, shanahan and haslett were in as coaches and he had the chance to meet them.

3) fat albert was given a choice: we'll release you or look to trade you, so long as it's before april 1 -- the day the bonus is due.

4) you took the money...then decided to act like the tough guy who was making a stand on principle (when, in fact, it was about money)

--DHall can empathize with that? he must be as avid a thinker as he is a tackler...i don't even want someone who can begin to sympathize with that kind of me-first decision making on this 'skins team.

and, on the second point, all of those teammate comments were ON the record DHall...nice try to get the point across, but i have a feeling london fletcher would have no hesitation telling fat albert all that right to his face...

HAIL

Posted by: bacaje | June 16, 2010 7:49 PM | Report abuse

"Haynesworth no longer trusts the Redskins because he contends they reneged on promises, and it's just a bad situation for everyone, Hall said"

Sounds a bit like another Superstar athlete that plays B-ball in LA with the initials KB. If he's not traded all of this will blow over once he starts making plays. Again, it worked out for Kobe didn't it?

Posted by: dcwun | June 16, 2010 8:12 PM | Report abuse

DHall makes me embarrased to be a VaTech alum

Posted by: Kenni | June 16, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe the league is structured as to allow someone like AH to take over 20 mil. and then not show. How can this be? While Hall is entitled to an opinion, what he fails to see is that this situation is not complicated at all: you sign a contract... then you must show-up and play. Simple as that.

If Haynesworth is going to hide behind his contract in order to take money for doing nothing... then Haynesworth should open-up the same contract and show everyone where the Redskins "promises" are that they aren't following-thru on. If they aren't there... then the Skins should sue.

Posted by: krisandtodd | June 17, 2010 6:46 AM | Report abuse

Mr Hall, the man got paid, he took the money with the knowledge of the new defense and team set up. Bottom line, he is a punk, has always been a punk and will always be a punk. And I would say that to his face were he standing here. You understand him because part of you is like him "he's got as much cash to stay at home as long as he wants". No integrity. And my money is on london Fletcher not backing down at all. After all, a real man never backs down from a bully.

Posted by: kcsplash | June 17, 2010 7:43 AM | Report abuse

Has 'any True Redskin's Follower/Fan' noticed how DeAngelo Hall has become the 'Official Jailhouse Lawyer' i.e., Lockroom Instigator/Excessive Mouthpiece/Commentator' on what's happening on the team, in the lockerroom, Jason Taylor's performance, or, lack, Portis's problems last year, and such. This guy is a 'killer/ this 'friend' of Haynesworth, this divisive pxxx is a threat to the 'unity of the team'. Watch him Shanahan, watch him Def Coach, watch 'DHall, bad news, bad news. Look at the tapes of last years comments by Hall, and again this year!!!!! Skins must cure the Albert problem - then you will have the 'Hall motormouth problem' to cure!!!

Posted by: lifeschoices | June 17, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

If you go but what D-Hall is saying, that that Al Fatsworth was promised to play in a 4-3 and now things have changed then fine. Give the Redskins their bonus back and you can go on your merry way to play for whomever you want. Seems pretty simple to me.

Posted by: JMUDUKE44 | June 17, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Since the Skins change regimes on the regular, EVERY player could say this. But when you just cashed a $21M paycheck, you really forfeit any right to do the touchy-feely "trust" stuff with your boss.

Posted by: Alan4 | June 17, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Can we get rid of Hall also?

Posted by: damnit79 | June 17, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

And he still can achieve all his goals but because he is an absolute baby he will never come close to any of them

Posted by: Bious | June 17, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

23's signing was right behind Fat Albert's in terms of Huge mistakes by the midget (lately). I sure as hell hope he is not far behind 92's exit. Here's hoping the door SLAMS their a$$'s on the way G-O-N-E.

Posted by: Smoca021 | June 17, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

kcsplash, you are dead on about Hall. Shanahan is no one's fool. Hall will be gone as soon as it's fiscally sound to drop his overpaid, mouthy, sorry tackling, egocentric, no-account self.

Posted by: Smoca021 | June 17, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse