Haynesworth not expected to play Sunday against Green Bay

UPDATED: 3:05 p.m.

The Redskins expect to be without Albert Haynesworth, whose brother was recently killed in a motorcycle accident, when they host the Green Bay Packers on Sunday, two people familiar with the situation said Saturday.

Redskins officials have been in contact with people close to Haynesworth and the two-time Pro Bowl defensive lineman plans to be with his family away from Washington for several days, the sources said.

Nashville police confirmed that Haynesworth's brother, Lance McCoy, 23, was traveling at high rate of speed when he struck a car and was killed about 9 p.m. on Thursday night. He was pronounced dead at Vanderbilt Medical Center. According to News Channel 5 in Nashville, police say witnesses reported that McCoy was going around 100 mph and was weaving in and out of traffic when he crashed into a car. No other injuries were reported.

Haynesworth was one of three boys raised by Linda Haynesworth, along with McCoy and Tyriom Edwards, in Hartsville, S.C.

UPDATE: On Saturday afternoon, the Haynesworth family released the following statement:

Regarding the tragic passing of his brother Lance McCoy, Albert Haynesworth, his mother Linda Haynesworth, and their family are thankful for the calls, emails, prayers and support they have received during this difficult time. The family announces a memorial motorcycle ride in honor of Lance McCoy on Sunday, October 10, 2010 at 10:30 a.m. CST beginning at 1101 Broadway Nashville, Tennessee, and ending at Jennings and Ayers Funeral Home, 820 S Church Street Murfreesboro, Tennessee, with a memorial service to follow from 3-6 p.m. CST. On Tuesday, October 12, 2010 there will be a Home Going service at First Baptist Church of Hartsville, 104 E Home Avenue Hartsville, South Carolina, at 3 p.m. EST.

By Jason Reid  | October 9, 2010; 2:47 PM ET
Categories:  Albert Haynesworth
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Devin Thomas talks about his release
Next: A closer look at Devin Thomas's release from the Redskins

Comments

sammyt

"Wow. The handling of Thomas by ShanahAllen has been as incompetent as Cerratto's drafting of him..."

I'll say.

Shanny should've scripted a basic set of plays, put Thomas in the game to run them, and then gauged if the kid had any true worth in this offense.

Oh well..

So, for the Class O' '08, we're down to:

Kareem Moore

Chris Horton

Fred Davis

We had 10 picks that year, and these guys are what's left if I'm right.

Am I missing anybody?

If I am, the rate these guys are going out the door, he won't be missed.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 9, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 9, 2010 3:06 PM

Moe, you know full well that he did this. It's called "pre-season."

Posted by: beep-beep | October 9, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Is Bryant healthy this week?

Posted by: siris | October 9, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Is Bryant healthy this week?

Posted by: siris | October 9, 2010 3:14 PM

Supposedly.

Posted by: stevek20147 | October 9, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Of course... I don't want to sound like No_Punt_Intended... but this is expected, it is a typical Al move. A LOT & I mean A LOT of players have suffered a loss & said, "______ would want me to play"... but for Al, I'm sorry, this is an excuse not to play... Crucify me, I know this sounds mean, but we really need him Sunday for 3 hours, then he can continue to be with his family. No matter, you can't change the situation & it will be the same on Sunday night. It really could of been a special moment of dedication to the fans, organization, & his brother. I understand his loss, I really do, I'm just saying I wish Albert was that guy.

Posted by: tony325 | October 9, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Kelly is on IR. But this throws a money wrench in the face of those who advocate more draft picks are better. The key to me is selecting quality players -- who make the final roster and improve the talent on the team -- no matter how they are added...

Posted by: siris | October 9, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Poor Devin, now no longer eligible to bone a Kardashian. SMH

Posted by: Predator48 | October 9, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

"I have the talent. I have the abilities. I know the scheme. You know, I have the mentality. I have everything, you know, all the intangibles to do it, but for some reason I can't get the chance on the field. The coaches do not believe in me to make the plays."

-Devin Thomas

---------------

Devin Thomas has a high opinion of himself, and while self esteem is laudable, in the absence of hard work, all that "talent" just sits at the bottom of the bowl.

The cream, it rises to the top Devin -- clearly you didn't whip it hard enough.

and as for the "memorial motorcycle ride" to honor Lance McCoy, who dies while recklessly riding a motorcycle...

dunno about that, but RIP, none the less.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 9, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Re: AH

You can't really b!tch about it under the circumstances, but if ever we need a DT that can get push up the middle to disrupt a QB's flow, it is this Sunday. If we can't get pressure on Rodgers with a 4 man rush, we are in trouble. Sure, we could throw some crazy-a$$ 3-4 blitzes at him, but he's in command of this offense and has a quick release; and frankly, we still kind of suck at the 3-4 and will probably shoot ourselves in the foot with it a-la-Houston game. Ugh.

Re: DT11 & WRs

I just hope that whatever the coaches thought they saw in Malcolm Kelly is actually there. Terrence Austin could round out to be a nice return guy and a depth receiver, but he's not the future cornerstone of this WR corps. Neither is AA. Neither are our 30+ WRs. So it's Malcolm or "WR yet to be determined".

Re: DT Talking about his release

Does anyone know WTH he was saying? I'm not trying to be racist or controversial here, but it's sort of annoying to have these players in the NFL that can't really articulate thoughtful sentences in English. From what I gathered, he's disappointed and going to try to catch on somewhere else...I think.

Posted by: p1funk | October 9, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Moe, you know full well that he did this. It's called "pre-season."

Posted by: beep-beep | October 9, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

you would also know very well that DT11 didn't get very much work in wr packages this preseason.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | October 9, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Me thinks the Green Bay game is the one where we'll be reminded that the Redskins still kinda suck.

Exhibit A: The Packers - a team built from the ground up -- good execution of a long term plan.

Exhibit B: The Redskins - what plan?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 9, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

"Redskins fans always showed me a lot of love, you know, and I really wanted it to work out."

-DT

...'specially them ones that for some reason still think I can play, they rock!

Posted by: stevek20147 | October 9, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Additionally, the second half of the Eagles game does not bode well for us tomorrow.

This could be ugly... veeeeeery ugly.

Forget about the Redskins winning 27-24.

Our ticket is about to be punched.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 9, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tony325 | October 9, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

great comment, if your sibling died today, are you showing up for work tomorrow?as important as this game is to you, do you think maybe AH's brother was equally if not exponentially more important to him. You sound like a true loser. I know brett played when his dad died, but A)brett was/is chasing a streak that does mean a lot to him B) his father lived a full long life that included watching his boy grow up to be considered on of the best to ever do it. Ah's brother died at the age of 23, still a baby (as i creep up on my 30th bday). He had his whole life ahead of him, and i can guarantee no one imagined him dying so soon.but like i said great comment cuz.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | October 9, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: Curzon417 | October 9, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

One ting for sure though.

The Skins are masters of the "buy high sell low" method of running a franchise (into the ground.)

That they put DT on the curb with a "FREE" sign stuck to his lapel is ludicrous.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 9, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

if your sibling died today, are you showing up for work tomorrow?

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | October 9, 2010 3:53 PM

Agree, lilhollywood. Unbelievable that someone would expect AH to play Sunday at the same time as his brother's memorial service and funeral. 16 football games a year and your brother only has one funeral, but tony325 thinks the football game is more important. Glad tony325 is not a member of my family.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 9, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

I think AL deserves a every other game bereavement period. Ohh..he already has this....

Posted by: tomass169 | October 9, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

R.I.P. Mr.McCoy

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | October 9, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Its ok. Albert. You are a special talent. Take all the time & $ you need....

Simply classic
Favre riddles Raiders with four TDs after losing father
Posted: Tuesday December 23, 2003 2:09AM; Updated: Tuesday December 23, 2003 2:16AM

OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) -- On the night his father died, Brett Favre addressed the Green Bay Packers in an emotional team meeting. He said he had no intention of leaving his football family, even at one of the lowest points in his life.

The next day, Favre played his heavy heart out, inspiring his teammates to do great things.

Favre passed for 399 yards and four touchdowns a day after his father's death, moving into second place in NFL history for career TD passes while leading the Packers to a 41-7 victory over the Oakland Raiders on Monday night.

"I knew that my dad would have wanted me to play," Favre said. "I love him so much, and I love this game. It's meant a great deal to me, to my dad, to my family, and I didn't expect this kind of performance. But I know he was watching tonight."

With a series of spectacular long passes that somehow found his energized teammates, Favre decimated the Raiders' patchwork defense with one of the greatest performances in his 13-year career. He finished just 3 yards shy of his career high while sending the Raiders to their worst loss in eight years.

Favre threw for a personal-best 311 yards and four TDs in the first half, quickly turning a crucial game for the Packers' playoff hopes into a blowout victory.

Favre, who went 22-of-30, smiled and hugged his teammates throughout the game. On the sideline in the fourth quarter, he embraced wife Deanna before they headed home to Mississippi.

"What he had to deal with today was unmeasurable," receiver Antonio Freeman said. "You can't put a price on what he did tonight. I don't know how he did it, but he did it in fine fashion."

Career TD Passes
Rk. Player TDs
1. Dan Marino 420
2. x-Brett Favre 345
3. Fran Tarkenton 342
4. John Elway 300
5. Warren Moon 291
6. Johnny Unitas 290
7. Joe Montana 273
8. Dave Krieg 261
9. Sonny Jurgensen 255
10. Dan Fouts 254
x-active
Irvin Favre died of a heart attack Sunday night while driving near his son's hometown of Kiln, Miss. Brett decided to stay with the Packers (9-6) long enough to lead a victory that kept them in a tie with Minnesota atop the NFC North.

"I do not wish this on anyone," Favre said. "My dad has been to every game from fifth grade, and he coached me in high school. You never expect it to happen like that. I'm going to miss him. He was so instrumental not only in football, but in life."

Posted by: tomass169 | October 9, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

antonio bryant should be about ready to start practicing.. the skins should take a look at him...

Posted by: cboyhater | October 9, 2010 6:32 PM | Report abuse

The funeral for Haynesworth step brother is Tuesday not Sunday. Sunday is a memorial motorcycle ride. So I agree with the peeps who say Haynesworth should play on Sunday. He could dedicate the game to his family and his brother and come out breathing fire and then go to the service on Tuesday and not miss a wink. He doesn't need to miss the game to ride in the parade. Sorry.
But who really expected Haynesworth to give a bleep about the Redskins. Any chance he'll get he'll split. Sorry.

Posted by: skins_fan_22 | October 9, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

True to that. He won't be there. And for for sure, big Al & the the Redskin's won't be there to hoist the VL trophy in Dallas. dan snyder is a crook who preys on the fan. Be loyal to what once a proud and true football team and watch Daniel S sell you out to poverty. He does not care about you and what you hold to your heart. Hail to once was the Redskins.

Posted by: tomass169 | October 9, 2010 10:21 PM | Report abuse

"police say witnesses reported that McCoy was going around 100 mph and was weaving in and out of traffic when he crashed into a car."

Its amazing no one else was injured or killed. Many of us can look back on at least a moment or two on the road when we drove in a way that endangered ourselves and others. But what a lot of kids do on motorcycles is just insanely dangerous to themselves and those that happen to be on the road with them. Most of us can't point to a moment when a bike passed us on the beltway going like a bat-out-of-hell. I hope the memorial ride in Mr. McCoy's memory emphasizes the importance of driving and riding responsibly.

Posted by: feeney | October 10, 2010 1:48 AM | Report abuse

Albert's brother died a few days ago, not yesterday. Everybody knows Al doesn't want to work for his money. He wants it handed to him for nothing.

Posted by: sjp879 | October 10, 2010 8:46 AM | Report abuse

You guys are animals.. talking about DT on a posting that is updating the status of AH's brother and the tragedy that has occurred. What is even worse is you fools who are commenting negatively about AH at this time. Do you guys really have to stoop so low and mock a man that has lost a brother? Yes, his brother died a few days ago, but the funeral is set for 10/10.. Read the posting before you spew utter vulgar trash. What would you do if you brother died? Would you rather play a game of football or go to your brother's funeral? Have some decency and respect for a man who lost a loved one. I thought the posters on WP were better than this.. but I guess I'm wrong..

Posted by: regxjin | October 10, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: skins_fan_22 | October 9, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse
___________________________________________

Now that's COLD!

It's a game DUDE, not that serious but someone losing a Family Member that is!

Posted by: SOLVBACK | October 10, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

"F" ing hippies.

Posted by: tomass169 | October 10, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

It is a shame that Haynesworth's "half" brother was killed while acting like an idiot on a bike; However, the actual funeral services are going to be held this Tuesday (not Sunday). I can't believe that Prince Albert does not have the common decency to play Sunday. I'm sure that the Redskins would get him a special flight immediately after the game to Nashville. No, Prince Albert would rather ride a bike on Sunday instead of being with his football family. Note to Redskins (and Dan Snyder) please find some way to get rid of Prince Albert, so that he can honor his "half" brother every day on his bike. How on earth did the Redskins ever come to the decision that this over indulged jerk had the maturity and brains to be any type of asset to a professional football organization.

Posted by: ridge_road_marco | October 10, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Albert has made it clear he doesn't want to play anyway. Now he has an excuse, albeit a pretty flimsy one, that some people will buy. I wonder if Al used our 21 million to buy that death trap for his half brother. The half brother sounds just as bad as Al riding that thing at such a high rate of speed and all. He could have killed an innocent bystander but its not in the Haynesowrth DNA to care about anyone other then one's self.

Posted by: sjp879 | October 10, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Hey ridge_road_marco!

It's a shame you can't read. I'd tell you that if you could, you'd have seen that the memorial service is today - Sunday at 10:30 am. I'm sure you'd miss the memorial service of your dead brother or mother, or anyone. But not everyone is a scumbag like you are.

Then again, judged by how you were raised I wouldn't memorialize the pathetic lives of those who made you who you are today either, so I can't entirely blame your lack of intelligence.

But like I said, you can't read so there's no point in telling you all this. But in case you know someone who can read and who will read this for you, why don't you just go become an Eagles fan already. You're not wanted here.

Posted by: fitzroysq | October 10, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

To all you other losers like Marco - I'm praying for a loved one of yours to die. I think that would be so hilarious.

Posted by: fitzroysq | October 10, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

We will all die. Like both our offensive line and defense. We can call the it in memorial, from today and on the Mccoy era.

BTW, praying for death is very christian.

Posted by: tomass169 | October 10, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse