Albert Haynesworth's play earns Mike Shanahan's praise

Albert Haynesworth was a disruptive force during Sunday's 17-12 victory over the Philadelphia Eagles at Lincoln Financial Field.

In easily his best performance since the Redskins changed their defensive scheme, Haynesworth was credited with four tackles and one pass defensed. Statistics alone, however, do not tell the story of Haynesworth's impact in
the game.

The Eagles' offensive line simply could not slow Haynesworth on several plays as he penetrated the backfield. The Eagles were called for two holding calls on Haynesworth, who seemed more active against than he had been in the first three games.

How effective was Haynesworth? Very effective, Coach Mike Shanahan said.

"I thought it was, by far, Albert's best game since I've been here," Shanahan said. "I thought he played very good. Played practically 30 plays, had a couple of holding calls against him, which were difference makers in the game. Just had a lot of effort. I was pleased with his performance."

After his strong outing against the Eagles, Haynesworth, a two-time all-pro, could have a bigger role on the defense.

"Well," Shanahan said, "let me say this: The more he plays like that, the more he's going to play."

By Jason Reid  | October 5, 2010; 6:00 AM ET
Categories:  Albert Haynesworth, Mike Shanahan
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Next time he'll slide
Next: Banks, Alexander put the "special" in special teams

Comments

first to say reid is hopelessly stuck on AH.

Posted by: hessone | October 5, 2010 6:43 AM | Report abuse

Really? So 100 yards/2 TDs against the Super Bowl champs...can't play in the league?

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 5, 2010 12:00 AM

lmg, could you list all of his games, including this year ?

Posted by: hessone | October 5, 2010 6:53 AM | Report abuse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: if Shanahan flips this AH drama on its head and gets this guy to play at an All-Pro level, he's my pick for Coach of the Year. Turning this turd into a Snickers would be nothing short of brilliant...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 5, 2010 6:55 AM | Report abuse

Il give Reid credit on this one. Football related albert posts I'm fine with. Plus, he didn't mention his contract once. Bravo!

Posted by: AdamCr | October 5, 2010 6:56 AM | Report abuse

brown, remember all the folks complaining about shanahan's handling of the AH drama and shanahan's big ego ? hopefully he'll get DT11 in line and he can help the skins in the near future. that said, I still don't think he'll stick as a redskin WR.

Posted by: hessone | October 5, 2010 7:00 AM | Report abuse

not I my friend. there's other players on this team and all we get are the same threads over and over. AH threads are dead threads. let's talk anything but AH.

Posted by: hessone | October 5, 2010 7:06 AM | Report abuse

first to say reid is hopelessly stuck on AH.

Posted by: hessone
---------------------------

Do you "first" fools really take pride in the fact that you just happened to come to the blog first after a post was published?

You must be so pleased with yourself.

And on the topic at hand, is Reid not supposed to report on what Shanahan said about AH's play? Seriously?

First to say stupid post.

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | October 5, 2010 7:12 AM | Report abuse

First to say stupid post.

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | October 5, 2010 7:12 AM

Do you really take pride in the fact that you just happened to be the first person to complain about this post? You must be so pleased with yourself.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 5, 2010 7:22 AM | Report abuse

@PrinceBuster21

First to say stupid post.

thank you ! first responders take great pride in being punctual ! again, many thanks

Posted by: hessone | October 5, 2010 7:26 AM | Report abuse

If you win your division, you're guaranteed a home playoff game.-Coach Mike Shanahan

So hypothetically speaking,what would happen if we won all of our division games and lost all the rest to go 6-10,would we still be NFC East champs?Can you win a division based on your record in that division instead of your overall record?

Posted by: smittdiddy | October 5, 2010 7:27 AM | Report abuse

Keim's thoughts on news of DT on the trading block:

This is not a surprise: The National Football Post reported that the Redskins have continued to shop Thomas.

But, really, this isn't new. The Redskins were shopping Thomas before the final cuts; they haven't exactly warmed up to him so it makes sense that they're still looking to trade him. Also, they keep talking about how much progress he's making at receiver yet he never plays? Can you say sell job?

Teams figured he would be released in the final cuts so why give up anything for him? Thomas' athleticism is intriguing, but his reputation around the league is that he would take a long time to pick up any offense. That was also the concern coming out of college after he really only had one good season (albeit a very good one). It hasn't changed.

It's doubtful Thomas could go anywhere and help a team's passing game this season. He might make a couple plays, but not enough to make a difference. He's a good returner, but not a great one and hasn't changed any games.

In the past Thomas' supporters could blame his issues on the coach, quarterback or scheme. All those are gone now. And this isn't personal with Mike Shanahan; he just doesn't like him as a player. In the spring, he was asked a somewhat easy question about Thomas and what he thought about him coming out of college. The way he answered the question, talking more about Thomas being unable to do much in the spring, and his body language revealed all anyone really needed to know. Also know that in talking to one Redskin in February, he worried that neither Thomas nor Malcolm Kelly would ever "get it" in terms of how they needed to train to be good pro's. They can still grow into that role, but that was this player's concern.

It should also be clear to Thomas that his situation won't change unless there are a few injuries to others. He would be best served going elsewhere and perhaps hooking on with a team that liked him enough coming out of Michigan State. That way he'll finally get some chances. Publicly, Thomas has handled his situation well. He plays hard -- he had two excellent blocks on punt returns yesterday -- and doesn't pout. He deserves credit for this. But what he wants is a chance; to get one, he'll likely have to leave.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 5, 2010 7:28 AM | Report abuse

agree, DT11 has handled himself with dignity. maybe the guy just doesn't have what it takes to flourish on shanahan's team. I wish him the best whatever happens moving forward.

Posted by: hessone | October 5, 2010 7:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: smittdiddy | October 5, 2010 7:27 AM

Dude, what aren't you understanding? He clearly said, "If you win your division, you're guaranteed a home playoff game." That's 100% true. He didn't say "If you win your division GAMES, you're guaranteed a home playoff game." So I don't see what you're missing here...

Division games are the first tie-breaker for the division title in the event you end up with the same overall record as another division foe. So if we go 10-6 and Dallas goes 10-6, we win the division if our division record is better. So it is 100% right that division games are important...especially when you're in a division as wide open as ours.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 5, 2010 7:37 AM | Report abuse

For you Snyder fans out there (*cough* HESS *cough*), The Danny will be on E:60 tonight giving an exclusive interview to Rachel "I Have No Talent But I Have a Cushy Job Because My Mother-in-Law Just Happens To Be Diane Sawyer" Nichols. Should be an interesting collection of "ums" and "uhs" from Washington's favorite recluse...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 5, 2010 7:43 AM | Report abuse

"DT11 has handled himself with dignity."

Yeah, but since the story is that he's an African American Forrest Gump with tats, he may be 'handling the situation professionally' because he's not bright enough to figure out what's going on.

Devin Thomas' 'grace under pressure' might be born of an inability to gauge its seriousness.

Consider:
Shanahan shouting while headed for an exit: Devin, run.

Don't you see that smoke and the flames?

The building is on fire.

Devin Thomas posing and flexing his tatooed biceps: The building or the roof is on fire?

'Cuz if the roof is on fire, we don't need no water.

We'll let jus' let this muthatrucka burn.

Burn, muthatrucka.

Burn.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 5, 2010 7:45 AM | Report abuse

brown, what's makes it seem so wide open is the fact that we haven't play well and we're in first place. if we can limit our mistakes and get better at executing on both sides of the ball, we can win this division.

one thing I've noticed that's disturbing is the long snapping. if things don't improve I feel this is something that could cost us a game.

Posted by: hessone | October 5, 2010 7:45 AM | Report abuse

MistaMoe

and what are you burning this morning moe ?

Posted by: hessone | October 5, 2010 7:57 AM | Report abuse

hessone

"...we haven't play well and we're in first place..."

Yeah, it's like being out in front of a 100 yard sprint not because you're fast, but that the other guy fell down.

And presently, Andy Reid is down and can't get up.

If he doesn't trade McNabb, the iggles walk away with the NFC East this year.

The jints have an offense that's in tatters.

The cowboys have a lot of attractive pieces that will never fit together.

And so, all Team Shanahan has to do is continue tinkering with the 3-4/4-3 scheme and working on the running game, and 1st or 2nd place might be within reach.

We can go 4-4 the 1st 8 games, finish 5-3, and wind up 9-7 in a fight for a Wild Card.

That's not bad for a team that last year, fell down.

But now, appears to have gotten up to rejoin a race it wasn't supposed to be in the first place.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 5, 2010 7:57 AM | Report abuse

Haynesworth was more effective in the last game because of how they used him. They used a lot more four man front, and Haynesworth was asked to "go after the quarterback" instead of trying to fill a gap. It's no secret that going after the quarterback is what he wants to do and what he is good at doing. Having said that, they have to find a way to make him work out in the 3-4. He may not be nose tackle material but if you put him at end, you have to free him to get in the back field. This may require overload blitzes to his side where two blockers cannot zero in on him, but what they saw Sunday is potential.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 5, 2010 7:58 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Brown,you cleared it all up for me.What can Brown do for you?He can breakdown the tie-breaker procedures!

Posted by: smittdiddy | October 5, 2010 7:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 5, 2010 7:28 AM

Cooley emphasized this very sentiment on his show yesterday. When asked about DT's playing time Cooley said that management is playing players they like. It's a shame, I still like DT's potential. Seems to me that the goal line plays ran by Banks this past weekend, could be the things that DT could excel at. Plus he a bigger body and wouldn't be tackled as easily as Banks was on that sweep play as Banks was. Anyways,I wouldn't trade DT. He's been very good on special teams, and another year my be enppugh time for him to learn this offense.

Posted by: TWISI | October 5, 2010 8:02 AM | Report abuse

Hessone

I'm in my office, hardly at work.

The coffee is just a little strong this morning.

And whereas I joke about 'burnin',' the nature of my work really means I only can smoke weed while making important life threatening decisions that affect millions.

What do I do?: I'm the President of the United States.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 5, 2010 8:03 AM | Report abuse

Hess, at best we're 3-1 so even in that instance this division is wide open. The point is, we're in a division without a clear-cut favorite (at least not anymore) and if all things are considered equal, the team with the most division wins will take the whole thing. Right now we're in the driver's seat because of the 2-0 division record and I think that's what Shanahan was emphasizing.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 5, 2010 8:06 AM | Report abuse

A great article on Roddy White. It looks as if DT's career could parallel White's, if he took the right path. From what it sounds like through his media comments, he could be on his way. Whether he'll be on the team long enough to reap the rewards is another story.

Excerpt:

"Funny, because once upon a time, there were people around the league who thought White was going to go down in history as one of the biggest receiver busts ever. Taken out of the University of Alabama-Birmingham in the first round (27th overall) in 2005, White was seen as a raw talent.

One person who worked for the Falcons at the time White first arrived admitted the brass in Flowery Branch had a huge case of buyer's remorse after they saw White in his first training camp and through most of his first two seasons. That person said there was a moment during White’s rookie season when an assistant coach stood up in a meeting and said White simply wasn’t good enough to play in the NFL and there was no argument in response.

But a strange thing happened after White bumbled his way through a rookie season that featured 29 catches and a second season in which he improved to 30 catches, but zero touchdowns. As the Michael Vick saga was casting a sad shadow over the Falcons and Bobby Petrino was about to do the same, White suddenly became a legitimate NFL wide receiver.

That may be the single bright spot to emerge from a very dark time in franchise history. The more you look at where White is now, the brighter that spot gets. As the world around the Falcons seemed to be crumbling, a convergence of events were taking place that would shock everyone and put White’s career on a good path.

“I guess the easiest way to put it was that I just finally grew up,’’ White said.

That’s the simple way to put it, but White is quick to point out that it was much more complex than that. He’s even quicker to point out that he had some help.

“I’d gone through life just getting by on being a good natural athlete,’’ White said. “That’s the way I approached it my first two years and, in the NFL, it’s not good enough to just be an athlete.’’

As Vick was going and Petrino was coming, two other subtle moves took place that would forever change White’s career for the better. Perhaps the only good move Petrino made in his short stint as the head coach of the Falcons was hiring his younger brother, Paul, to coach wide receivers.

“When coach [Jim] Mora and his guys were here, I was eating a lot of cheeseburgers and going at about 215 [pounds],’’ White said. “When Paul Petrino came in, he sat me down and said, 'You need to get back to where you were in college.' I got back to around 205 to 208 and I suddenly realized I was moving faster and jumping higher. But it wasn’t just that. Paul Petrino worked me so hard and pushed me to string together good practices, go out there and do it every day.’’

continued...

Posted by: psps23 | October 5, 2010 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 5, 2010 7:57 AM

Agreed...only I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see 9-7 win the division with tie-breakers...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 5, 2010 8:13 AM | Report abuse

continued...

Paul Petrino got some help from another source. In 2007, the Falcons brought in veteran wide receiver Joe Horn, in large part because they weren’t sure if White could play. But Horn ended up being part of the reason White has been playing so well in recent years.

“Playing with Joe was the best thing to ever happen to me,’’ White said. “He was a guy who had been to Pro Bowls and he took me under his wing and really taught me what this league is all about. He’s the one who made me realize what’s expected of you if you’re going to be a good pro. He’s the one who taught me that you have to prepare mentally every day and you have to go out and practice hard every day. He’s the one who showed me that this game takes so much more effort than I was putting into it.’’

The results were pretty much instant. In a 2007 season in which the Falcons went through several quarterbacks with little success, White somehow emerged with 83 catches for 1,202 yards and six touchdowns.
It’s kind of funny that the guy the Falcons once thought couldn’t play is leading the way. He’s soaring on the field and he has become a leader in the locker room. Before every game, there’s a little reminder of the past and how White got to where he is now.

“Before every game, Joe Horn sends a text,’’ White said. “It’s pretty simple. He just says, go out, play hard, play physical and play smart.’’

That’s what White has been doing, and that’s the other strange twist to all this. The guy who once couldn’t go past fast-food restaurants on the way home or stay out of the nightclubs is taking on the role Horn once did.

“You know, it’s hard to find a guy that will share information with you when we’re all competing for jobs,’’ White said. “But Joe did that with me and now I try to do it with Harry Douglas. I look at Harry like my little brother, but I also look at him as what I used to be before Joe came along. I’m always on Harry about working hard every day. The most important thing Joe taught me was that you have to put the game first.’’

White’s been doing that since 2007 and that’s what has put him among the best receivers in the NFL.

Posted by: psps23 | October 5, 2010 8:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 5, 2010 7:57 AM

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 5, 2010 8:13 AM

Posted by: PlayAction | October 5, 2010 8:18 AM | Report abuse

Good stuff, psps23...although I doubt DT has that kind of "awakening" in a Redskins uniform...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 5, 2010 8:19 AM | Report abuse

good stuff psp...thanks.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 5, 2010 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlayAction | October 5, 2010 8:18 AM

Me too.

But this year the schedule is much tougher than it was last year so I don't see that happening when most of our division still has the Bears, Vikings, Colts, Packers, and Texans, and Titans still left on the schedule. Those that have played those teams already have lost. So anyone getting to 10 wins would be pretty lucky, IMO.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 5, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Is there a single player or coach who knows proper English? They always seem to say we played good or didn't play good when the correct grammar is we played WELL.

Posted by: Thundershock | October 5, 2010 8:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 5, 2010 8:13 AM | Report abuse

Unless we tie a game, which can happen, it's in the rules you know! I looked it up!

Signed,
Donovan McNabb

Posted by: monk811 | October 5, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

man, if they win 11 games would that make ih8's day.

W-I-D-E-O-P-E-N = HTTR!

Posted by: hessone | October 5, 2010 8:31 AM | Report abuse

"You would think one of the four teams will get hot at some point and end up with 10 or 11 wins...I hope its the skins."

If an NFL team can start out 4-4, the time to 'get hot' would be mid-November to December.

What does our second half look like, you ask?

We come out of a BYE and play:

PHI @ WAS

WAS @ TEN

MIN @ WAS

WAS @ NYG

TB @ WAS

WAS @ DAL

WAS @ JAC

NYG @ WAS

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 5, 2010 8:31 AM | Report abuse

The Bears are pretenders. They got demolished by the Giants. They lost to the Lions, but were spared by a dumb@ss rule negating CJ's touchdown catch. They were gifted the Packers game because of 18 penalties and a last minute drive that ended in James Jones fumbling the ball from a completely non-threatening hit. They very well could be 2-2 or 1-3. The Bears are not a good team.

Posted by: psps23 | October 5, 2010 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Thundershock | October 5, 2010 8:29 AM

Thanks for that nugget, Rosetta Stone. Don't you have a Spanish-to-English lesson to record?

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 5, 2010 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rypien11 | October 5, 2010 8:37 AM | Report abuse

no, just the usual AH update.

Chia_Pet, I mean Thundershock, spell check isn't necessary on RI.

Posted by: hessone | October 5, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Agreed psps23...but they did go into Dallas and beat the Cowboys, so they're not putrid.

All I'm saying is that there are no cupcakes on the schedule (and the one we had we lost) and nobody in the division looks good enough to roll off a bunch of wins in a row en route to a lengthy playoff run.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 5, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

"I heard rumor last night that Portis might be out for the year, he heard his groin pop. Any news on that this morning?"

I saw that somewhere, too.

And if it is true, it's the second year in a row where he couldn't finish the season.

And for now, he's in a contract year.

Which means--if the groin injury news is true--Clinton Portis' day as the Redskin King is over.

All hail the new king:

Ryan Torain.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 5, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 5, 2010 8:19 AM
-----------------------------------------
Ditto on sharing that great article, PSP23. I think the big question with DT is if he will ever "grow up" and should the team hang onto him a little longer to find out. Shanahan has already answered that question. Sadly, I think they will end up cutting DT because they cannot trade him. On the surface, I would say Shanahan feels he could have another receiver on the roster in DT's place who is moving faster up the learning curve, has more upside and will be a contributor at wide receiver down the road, but that speculation isn't supported by the fact he insists on keeping an aging, worthless veteran in the receiving corps (Galloway).

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 5, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rypien11 | October 5, 2010 8:37 AM |

Heard the same thing.

Posted by: TWISI | October 5, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse

There's a rumor on ESPN.com that CP is out for the year...it's in the rumor section so no official word yet.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 5, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

BTW - CP has an MRI yesterday which suggests his groin injury is of the more severe variety. Shanahan sounded equally concerned. I am thinking CP is probably going to miss at least four games, which means resigning KW should be a priority...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 5, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rypien11"

I hope not..I had a muscle in my calf pop visibly in a prison basketball game, thought someone shot me with a pellet gun..I was out 4-6 weeks ..My tattooing skills improved during this time, preparing me for my future career as a tattoo artist..It's really easy, Clinton, and you'll win friends and cigs next time you're in the slammer..

Posted by: frak | October 5, 2010 8:51 AM | Report abuse

which means resigning KW should be a priority...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 5, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

He's back on the practice squad as of yesterday evening.

Posted by: TWISI | October 5, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Chia_Pet, I mean Thundershock, spell check isn't necessary on RI.

Posted by: hessone | October 5, 2010 8:40 AM

You think that's a spelling issue?

Posted by: mack1 | October 5, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Ugh, losing CP for the year would be a big blow. He played excellent on Sunday. For this team to make a serious run at the division, we need him to play like he did against the Eagles.

Let's hope those reports are premature.

Posted by: psps23 | October 5, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

which means resigning KW should be a priority...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 5, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

He's back on the practice squad as of yesterday evening.

Posted by: TWISI | October 5, 2010 8:52 AM
------------------------------------------
Great. Had not heard that. Wish I knew if Simpson was going to get a few carries, but now that I see they are fired up to trade DT, I suspect Simpson is their replacement kick returner. The bottom line is, we need another back.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 5, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

"I am thinking CP is probably going to miss at least four games, which means resigning KW should be a priority..."

I'm thinking CP is done as a redskin no matter the outcome of the alleged injury.

The guy missed the end of the last season, re-dedicated himself during the offseason, hasn't carried the ball all that much in 2 seasons, and is hurt, again?

(INSERT Tom Jackson's snarling voice.)

C'mon, man!!!!!!

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 5, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | October 5, 2010 8:43 AM

My groin popped last night and my wife said "you're out for the year."

Posted by: beep-beep | October 5, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

(INSERT Tom Jackson's snarling voice.)

C'mon, man!!!!!!

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 5, 2010 8:57 AM
------------------------------------------
Well, it would be a shame if that is the way he goes out. Seems like he was given a set of ideal circumstances with Shanahan returning, a re-tooled offensive line, and a running game that is just starting to look like a running game. I really don't like his attitude sometimes but I respect the man and what he has accomplished and it would just suck to go out this way.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 5, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

but now that I see they are fired up to trade DT

I call bullcrap, on the media outlet who posted this...saw nothing on PFT about this, Schefter didn't say anything, ESPN didn't say anything, Mort didn't say anything....sounds like much ado about nothing...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 5, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe

----

Sad to say if the injury is anything close to severe, I agree.

He may get stashed on IR to see how he responds, but I can't see the Skins shelling out any more guaranteed cash on his behalf next season.

Posted by: psps23 | October 5, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 5, 2010 8:43 AM

I doubt that Galloway is still a starter at the end of the year...remember, this is Week 4, going into Week 5. What you see now isn't guaranteed to be the case in Week 17.

Shanahan cut two 1st round WRs when he came to Denver in favor of an undrafted WR and an unheralded 5th rounder. Those guys ended up being Rod Smith and Ed McCaffrey. If he sees something in Austin or Armstrong or Banks, then he'll get rid of guys he deems dead weight (like DT and MK), regardless of draft status.

So if Armstrong or Austin end up starting and playing effectively toward the end of the year, you won't see Galloway much any more.

And you won't miss Devin Thomas when he's gone.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 5, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

then he'll get rid of guys he deems dead weight (like DT and MK

didn't he already have the chance to get rid of MK and chose not to?

just sayin...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 5, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | October 5, 2010 8:43 AM

My groin popped last night and my wife said "you're out for the year."

Posted by: beep-beep | October 5, 2010 8:58 AM
------------------------------------------
I recommend she sign a free agent to get her through this season and then she should start looking for a low round draft pick next year to replace you long term.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 5, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

then he'll get rid of guys he deems dead weight (like DT and MK

didn't he already have the chance to get rid of MK and chose not to?

just sayin...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 5, 2010 9:05 AM
------------------------------------------
Yeah, I don't get that. If he was that enamored with MK's size, then he should have been a little more aggressive in trading for VJ, or at least lining up some biggesh free agents to audition.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 5, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

That would not be good news about CP, our run game was loookin great last game and CP was putting up respectable numbers.
This would put us back a notch, Torain looked diesel but so far he is our only other option. Keiland WIlliams despite playing still has ZERO carries. Might get to see what chad simpson has.
This is just further evidence that they need to invest through the draft for a quality RB, there will be a decent crop this year, as there has been the past four years or so.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 5, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 5, 2010 8:43 AM

And you won't miss Devin Thomas when he's gone.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 5, 2010 9:02 AM
-----------------------------------------
I won't miss DT. I think the guy has shown some promise on kick returns, and by virtue of being on special teams, he should have gotten more chances at wide receiver, but that's all speculation. At the end of the DT subtraction problem, the impact on the Redskins is minute.

As for Galloway, I just don't get the sense in keeping he or Roydell Williams on the roster. These guys are on the down side of their careers and have contributed very little. Time to let the young guys on the roster get a shot, and time to find some more young developmental projects in free agency. Come on, Bruce Allen, work some magic!

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 5, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

My groin popped last night and my wife said "you're out for the year."

Posted by: beep-beep | October 5, 2010 8:58 AM

------------

Let's face it, beep.

You haven't used that groin for anything since the nineties.

Amazed you have a "wife."

What's his name?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 5, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

didn't he already have the chance to get rid of MK and chose not to?

just sayin...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 5, 2010 9:05 AM

I think he decided not to decide. He probably liked what he saw before the guy got hurt and now he wants to see (1) if the guy can get healthy and (2) if he can deliver against another team.

Doesn't cost him anything to keep Kelly on IR. Keeping DT represents a roster slot that he may want to use for, say, Austin.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 5, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

"If he doesn't trade McNabb, the iggles walk away with the NFC East this year."

I sure don't see that. The Iggs turned over 12 regulars since last season, which I believe was tops in the NFL. That's a sign of some serious rebuilding. And sending McNabb to a div rival for draft picks is yet another. This team is young and fragile, and Michael Vick getting hot just hid that from view.

Posted by: Samson151 | October 5, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

I hope CP isn't out. He is only 109 yards away from hitting the 10,000 mark.

Thats 2 games...

Posted by: alex35332 | October 5, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

portis is done, his legs are amost gone. big albert is a beast and needs to play alot. he was awsome on sunday.

Posted by: cavalieri10 | October 5, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: cavalieri10 | October 5, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

I don't see Portis as done, he is doing great splitting carries with RTV.

His last 2 games he averaged 6.3 and 5.0 ypc on 7 and 11 carries respectively.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 5, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

I hope CP isn't out. He is only 109 yards away from hitting the 10,000 mark.

Thats 2 games...

Posted by: alex35332 | October 5, 2010 9:31 AM

More like 3 by the way he's been playing this year...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 5, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

I hope CP isn't out. He is only 109 yards away from hitting the 10,000 mark.

Thats 2 games...

Posted by: alex35332 | October 5, 2010 9:31 AM

More like 3 by the way he's been playing this year...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 5, 2010 9:43 AM

If his career is indeed over, then we'll just round up.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 5, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

If Portis is out, I wonder if they will look at M. Lynch, doubt, but it might be worth it, trade DT11 straight up for Lynch...

If they knew DT11 was useless (in their eyes) and MK12 was doing nothing as well and hurt, why did they not make a play for a better WR this off season?

The rest of the season is definitely no cake walk, I would be pumped to go 8-8, we have to play the Vikings, Packers, Bears, Colts and TN, not to mention the rest of the division games. Hope they stick to the 4-3 against Tenn and Vikings...

All in all, pretty positive so far this year, except the play at WR.

Posted by: mhartz1 | October 5, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

All in all, pretty positive so far this year, except the play at WR.

Posted by: mhartz1 | October 5, 2010 9:46 AM

1. Because they didn't want to give up anymore draft picks.

2. What's wrong with WR play? I think the problem is with the QB -- too erratic. He was 6 of 8 in the first half Sunday and 2 of 11 in the second half. The incompletions were primarily bad throws, not drops. And what about that interception he threw?

Posted by: beep-beep | October 5, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

I am less and less scared of the vikings and titans games

Posted by: alex35332 | October 5, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

One possible outcome of a DT11 trade could be that Shanahan feels Terence Austin is ready to debut with the full team. It'd be a blow to see a former high draft pick shipped off for next-to-nothing, but it would also be good to see some young talent that Shanahan believes in enter the fold.

*note: this is not a rumor founded in anything factual, just a thought (hope) of what could happen.

Posted by: psps23 | October 5, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Maybe there is some truth to what D-Mac said a few weeks ago about AH... We can't win without the big fella.

I hope this bullchit drama is over with, we need AH to gobble up o-lineman and pancake qb's on the regular.

Posted by: bhoang888 | October 5, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

It'd be a blow to see a former high draft pick shipped off for next-to-nothing...

Posted by: psps23 | October 5, 2010 9:53 AM

Next to nothing would be better than nothing at all. A lot of people think he will be cut (see Keim post above). His kick returns have been good -- he's in the top 10 in the league -- but Austin could return kicks.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 5, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

mhartz1

"If they knew DT11 was useless....and MK12 was doing nothing as well and hurt, why did they not make a play for a better WR this off season?"

The inside baseball is that they wanted VJAX, but weren't willing to give up a 2nd rounder for him, then tender him a big contract.

And the thing about trading DT is, there is no market for a guy who hasn't proven himself in the NFL, despite his potential.

Shanny's stubbornness has shifted from AH to DT.

He should say, "How can Devin Thomas deliver less than Joey Galloway or Roydell Williams?" and let DT play in some sort of simple scripted package that emphasizes his skill set.

It's obvious they are willing to do this with BBanks.

So why not Thomas?

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 5, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

I think DT is being punished for pursuing a Modeling career in the offseason. Google DT and you will see his pics all over the net.

Posted by: RealOne1 | October 5, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

So why not Thomas?

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 5, 2010 9:58 AM

Read the Keim post above. "This isn't personal with Shanahan. He just doesn't like him as a player."

Posted by: beep-beep | October 5, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Anyone who says "Portis is done" didn't even watch the game on Sunday.

He played great. And if he's out for four games, I guarantee he'll be starting when he comes back. Only reason he wouldn't is if Torain came in looking like LT. But don't get all delusional, that's not gonna happen.

Posted by: rexforab | October 5, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

It's obvious they are willing to do this with BBanks.

So why not Thomas?

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 5, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Haven't heard any stories about Banks deciding it's a good idea to take naps during meetings either.

Wonder if there is a connection?

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 5, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

It's obvious they are willing to do this with BBanks.

So why not Thomas?

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 5, 2010 9:58 AM

Exactly how I feel. We werent the only team to think this guy could play, right?

I get not giving up draft picks for other guys, but keeping this guy around seems more like punishment to me for DT11. If you did not think he could contribute, then why not let him go.

On the WR play, I thought we were ok, but Armstrong, I thought had two drops that were catchable balls.

That INT on McNabb was atrocious, much like the pass before it.

Posted by: mhartz1 | October 5, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mhartz1 | October 5, 2010 9:46 AM

Have you actually looked at Lynch? Dude is one of the ugliest football players EVER...no homo.

Plus, he's a bit of a headcase. So we'd basically be swapping out a headcase WR for a headcase RB...no thanks.

Besides...who wants a guy gangsta leanin' on the sidelines?

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 5, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Anyone who says "Portis is done" didn't even watch the game on Sunday.

Posted by: rexforab | October 5, 2010 10:06 AM

Wrong. I said it, and I watched the game. I saw him get injured -- again. The man has been injured too often, in too many places. His body is a mess and he will be in pain the rest of his life. He's had a great run, but he has nothing more to prove. He should get out of the game for his own good. Time to quit while he's behind.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 5, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

For those that are thinking about a DT to BUF trade for a RB keep in mind that BUF already has a kickoff returner, decreasing DTs value to them. They drafted CJ Spiller and he serves that role and already has a TD return.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 5, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

"If you did not think he could contribute, then why not let him go."

He can and does contribute. He's top 10 in the league in kickoff return average. And he threw two critical blocks on Brandon Banks' 53 and 16 yard returns. He's a valuable special teamer. That's why he's on the team.

I don't see him being traded or cut. He would be traded if the Redskins could get decent value, but that's not going to happen. If it's between getting released or sitting deep on the depth chart, the team will keep him deep on the depth chart, unless they want to do Thomas a favor and let him catch on elsewhere at the expense of our special teams.

Posted by: psps23 | October 5, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | October 5, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

beep-beep

I read the Keim piece.

And that's why I say Shanny's arrogance has shifted from AH to DT.

The man who gave Maurice Clarett a chance can't give one to Devin Thomas.

I'm trying to figure that out.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 5, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

then he'll get rid of guys he deems dead weight (like DT and MK

didn't he already have the chance to get rid of MK and chose not to?

just sayin...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 5, 2010 9:05 AM |

I'm sure he thought "I can IR this guy and get a look at him in camp next year when I can have something like 472 players on the team so why bother cutting him?"

Simple really...just sayin...

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 5, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | October 5, 2010 10:13 AM

Maybe he plays because he likes to play, not because he has something to prove. And just because he's injury prone doesn't mean he should be gotten rid of, because he wont be injured all the time. When he's healthy he's the best RB we've got, I don't see how you can argue with that.

We've got a tough schedule all the way through, in the 2nd half we gota deal with MIN, TEN, 3 divison games. You wouldn't want to get a healthy Portis to at least block on 3rd down? You're nuts.

Posted by: rexforab | October 5, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

tyvm Rex. Though I could see Torain staying on as the starter & CPo becoming a 3rd down specialist... not saying it should be that way... just can see it.

RE the 'time management' non-issue. wtSJK? They had some problems so they called a timeouts to deal with them. That's not a time management problem. Philly had a time management problem - it cost them the shot at a TD.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 5, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

And that's why I say Shanny's arrogance has shifted from AH to DT.

The man who gave Maurice Clarett a chance can't give one to Devin Thomas.

I'm trying to figure that out.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 5, 2010 10:18 AM

Second that.

Posted by: mhartz1 | October 5, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

That INT on McNabb was atrocious, much like the pass before it.

Posted by: mhartz1 | October 5, 2010 10:11 AM |

Not sure what two you are talking about, but I saw him make two catches that no receiver on the team would have made.

One he stumbled after or it was a TD and one he was led out of bounds by McNabb but still made a great catch.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 5, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | October 5, 2010 8:14 AM

thanks for putting that article in here PSP. Normally try to stay away from human interest pieces, but that was pretty good.

Skins need to hold on to Devin Thomas. Santana Moss isn't getting any younger. Enough has been said about Galloway and his age and ability. Armstrong looks like a keeper. Roydell who? And who knows if Kelly will ever see the field in a game.

Good coaches develop talent. Not throw it away. Scouts, coaches, and fans agree he's talented. Shanny needs to give the kid a shot.

Posted by: saltine182 | October 5, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: saltine182 | October 5, 2010 10:24 AM

Not too many scouts or coaches think he's talenetd if no one wants to trade for him.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 5, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

The man who gave Maurice Clarett a chance can't give one to Devin Thomas.

I'm trying to figure that out.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 5, 2010 10:18 AM

Don't waste too much time on that one, Moe...Shanahan sent Clarett packing long before he ever had a chance to play a regular season game. DT wasn't one of his picks and he's given him a full offseason, training camp, and 4 games to impress and he has yet to.

What I don't get is why Shanahan is labeled as "arrogant" because he doesn't like players that don't live up to their draft status/pay grade. It's not like he's picking on London Fletcher...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 5, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Samuels was injury prone.... We regard him as a Saint, don't we?

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 5, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 5, 2010 10:24 AM

Thought he had one in the 4th quarter that looked like a routine slant that hit his hands and dropped, the other one I cant remember. The one out of bounds was a nice catch, I did not see the other catch you are talking about, only caught the second half.

Posted by: mhartz1 | October 5, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

"McNabb had a poor game for 2 reasons, the Eagles took Moss out perfectly and then they were able to keep him in the pocket for most the game.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 5, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse"

The most obvious (and overlooked) reason is because it was windy as hell and rainy in the second half. Look at the QBs of the 3 east coast games on Sunday:

McNabb: 8/19, 125 yds, 6.6 YPA, 1 TD, 1 INT
Kolb/Vick: 27/42, 243 yds, 5.8 YPA, 1 TD, 1 INT

Flacco: 24/37, 256, 6.9 YPA, 1 TD, 1 INT
Batch: 12/21, 141, 6.7 YPA, 0 TD, 1 INT

Cutler/Collins: 15/26, 56 yds, 2.0 YPA, 0 TD, 2 INT
Manning: 18/30, 195, 6.5 YPA, 0TD, 0 INT

It was just ugly conditions for football on the East Coast.

Posted by: psps23 | October 5, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | October 5, 2010 8:43 AM

My groin popped last night and my wife said "you're out for the year."

Posted by: beep-beep | October 5, 2010 8:58 AM
------------------------------------------

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 5, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

I'll have my agent call to set up a TRY-OUT and PHYSICAL!!!!

Posted by: monk811 | October 5, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 5, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

The man who gave Maurice Clarett a chance can't give one to Devin Thomas.

I'm trying to figure that out.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 5, 2010 10:18 AM

Let me tell you how I've figured it out -- maybe it will make sense to you, probably not since you seem pretty dug in on this one.

He gave DT a chance. He didn't cut him when he arrived. He didn't trade him at the draft -- when some other teams were reported to be expressing interest. He kept him on the squad to see if he could make Thomas a player. And, he hasn't done it yet.

The other thing is that if either Kyle Shanahan or Keenan McCardell told Mike "Hey we need to give this guy a chance. We gotta get him on the field." then he would be on the field. Neither of them seems willing to go to bat for the guy.

So think about it this way, Moe. If the guy would give Maurice Clarett a shot, but not DT, what does that say about DT?

Posted by: beep-beep | October 5, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Re: Roddy White, his story is a nice one, but there are a lot of highly-touted WRs that never make it (see, e.g., Westbrook, Michael; Rogers, Charles). In DT's 2+ years with the team, I'm thinking that someone has to have told him what he has to do to succeed in the NFL, yet in his third year, when WRs traditionally blossom, he still can't get onto the field. Two coaching staffs have now found him to be deficient, and I think that it is highly unlikely that he will realize whatever potential he has here in Washington.

Re: Galloway, that "aging, worthless" receiver has managed to get behind the secondary on more than one occasion this year. Having him start is far from ideal, but I think that Armstrong will beat him out before too much longer.

Posted by: rufus_t_firefly | October 5, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

I am less and less scared of the vikings and titans games

Posted by: alex35332 | October 5, 2010 9:52 AM
------------------------------------------
I feel the same way, only my fear is "clowns" and "Nancy Pelosi", but I fear those clowns less the more I see of Pelosi.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 5, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Hey! You guys! Follow the leader to the new thread. Follow

beep beep

Posted by: beep-beep | October 5, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

"You wouldn't want to get a healthy Portis to at least block on 3rd down? You're nuts"

What's nutty is depending on a 7 million dolla a year running back to block.

Mike Sellars can pass block.

Double tight end sets are what i being used to assist our tackles.

We expected a healthy Portis in place to get yards inthe run game.

Yes: he is a quality blocker.

But with the running game down so far, we need him healthy.

And that doesn't seem to be the case for the second year in a row.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 5, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

The man who gave Maurice Clarett a chance can't give one to Devin Thomas.

I'm trying to figure that out.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 5, 2010 10:18 AM

I think Clarrett had more skill than Thomas and Shanny wanted to see if he could change his off the field actions and attitude. With Thomas, it was just his on the field problems, that's why he's shopping him now. Either way, they BOTH did get a chance, and both ended the same, "Don't let the door hit your azz on the way out now!!!"

Posted by: monk811 | October 5, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Well, maybe if FatAlbert comes to camp in shape next year, we might actually have something. He is still a load that we should dump. Screw FatAlbert. The Eagles OLine is a piece of trash. If he couldn't "disrupt" against this crew, it would be pathetic. This is like LT gaining 160 on Detroit. So what?

Posted by: KDSmallJr | October 5, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

I hear all the talk of DT11's troubles understanding the offense. I happen to know that Devin Hester (Bears) has such severe learning disabilities that he never played zone in college, only m2m. Bears drafted him for his talent and converted him to a pretty decent WR. We can't get that from DT?

Posted by: gbraxton7 | October 5, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | October 5, 2010 8:43 AM

My groin popped last night and my wife said "you're out for the year."

Posted by: beep-beep | October 5, 2010 8:58 AM
------------------------------------------

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 5, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse
--------------------

Now thats funny!!! wooooooo!!!

Posted by: jredden | October 5, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jbrennan602 | October 5, 2010 11:34 PM | Report abuse

To all the DT lovers out there, dont get all butt hurt when i say this but, DT is a BUST-PLAIN AND SIMPLE. He had 1 good game and maybe a few good plays but thats it, get over it already. At BEST he was a 6th round pick/project who needed the sun, moon,planets,VINNY and all the stars to align(and they did)to be picked in the 2nd round.

Posted by: jbrennan602 | October 5, 2010 11:42 PM | Report abuse