Posted at 11:45 AM ET, 01/ 3/2011

Hey, who's the big guy at Albert Haynesworth's locker?

By Barry Svrluga

Redskins defensive lineman Albert Haynesworth showed up at Redskins Park for the first time in a month Monday, cleaning out his locker and apparently meeting with coaches before entering an offseason in which his future with the team is extremely shaky.

"I've got nothing to say," was the only comment Haynesworth offered to reporters in the locker room. But there was no denying that Haynesworth's return to the team's facility - and whether or not he would meet with Coach Mike Shanahan at all on Monday - was a topic of interest for his teammates.

"Was it a little weird, him coming in? Yeah, it is," said fellow defensive lineman Vonnie Holliday, one of Haynesworth's closest confidants on the team. "After being suspended for four games, him not being around, tension -- I think the guys, they gave him a little bit of a hard time, but it's Albert. But at the same time, like I said, Albert's the kind of guy that we love to go out with, hang out with, talk with. It's just unfortunate the way things played out this year for him -- a very talented, talented guy that can bring so much to your team -- and unfortunately things didn't work out for him."

Haynesworth, who was suspended for the final four games of the season, is due $5.4 million for 2011, but the money is not guaranteed. NFL sources with knowledge of the situation have indicated, though, that the Redskins are highly unlikely to simply cut Haynesworth, which would mean letting him go without compensation. So the Redskins could spend some of the early part of the offseason determining whether they could trade Haynesworth for a draft pick. Those efforts were unsuccessful a year ago.

Though Holliday said players joked with Haynesworth - "Hey, Albert's back in the building," they said - there is a serious side to one of the controversies that dominated the Redskins' season.

"Is it a laughing matter? It's not," Holliday said. "He had a lot on his plate, no doubt about it. He's the highest paid defensive player in the league, a lot of expectations that go with that. I know he wants to do well, and I know he wants to be - he talked about it all the time - that Hall of Fame type player, the Reggie White deal.

"And unfortunately, for a lot of reasons, that didn't work out, at least this year. Moving forward, I don't know what happens. But I hope that he uses this as some type of motivation -- if he's here, or wherever he is -- to take it to that next level and to play, and he learns and grows from this."

Shanahan will address the media at 4 p.m. Monday afternoon, so he will likely have more information about whether he met with Haynesworth - something that did not happen prior to Haynesworth's suspension on Dec. 7. Shanahan said last week that he typically doesn't meet with players immediately after the season.

"I think there has to be some closure to the situation," Holliday said. "...They [have to] have an opportunity to talk things out. I know that there was, towards the end with the suspension, they didn't get a chance to talk or communicate exactly what they were both feeling, and the reasons why, and hopefully they'll come to some conclusion after this meeting."

Haynesworth played in eight games this season and was in on 16 tackles with two-and-a-half sacks. In two years with the Redskins, he has played in 20 games.

By Barry Svrluga  | January 3, 2011; 11:45 AM ET
Categories:  Albert Haynesworth, Mike Shanahan
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Graham Gano's future is cloudy after Sunday's game
Next: Graham Gano says misses are a matter of technique

Comments

I'd like to play GM for a minute (to see if anyone agrees with me at all-- seriously, not trying to pick a fight or sound dumb to the smartarses around heeyah):

If we can't trade up for Luck (assuming that he comes out), how about trading down from the #10 spot, throw in a 2012 2nd rounder, and Haynesworth to New England for #17 and #32, this year.

With the #17 pick, draft Pouncey at guard (Florida); with the #32 pick, draft Wiseniewski at center (Penn State); and grab the best right guard available in free agency.

Sure, that still leaves QB, OLB, FS, and especially NT as needs, but the O-Line sured up, ain't it?

Well, a guy can dream...

Posted by: TDawg1 | January 3, 2011 11:50 AM | Report abuse

he's finally playing defense

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | January 3, 2011 11:50 AM | Report abuse

"I've got nothing to say....while I am at Redskins Park but afterwards I will go out and get drunk with some ho's and blab to everyone how badly I was treated while I was here."

Fixed it for you Al.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | January 3, 2011 11:56 AM | Report abuse

OK, after watching about ten minutes of youtube highlights of the Gabbert dude, I am officially in love with him.

Charley Casserly was the 1st one I heard say his name a week ago saying he would blow up fast in Mock Drafts...and it seems to be happening now....

I think I would take him ahead of Cam Newton and Luck......Mallet has Ryan LEaf written all over him....

And he hopefully should be available at #10. DE or QB with the #10 pick seems like the only possibility......

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 3, 2011 11:57 AM | Report abuse

"Hey, who's the big guy at Albert Haynesworth's locker?"

My guess would be Reid hoping to get the topic for his next 27 RI posts...

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 3, 2011 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Phuk that guy, he'll never make it into the HOF with the way his mind works.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 3, 2011 12:00 PM | Report abuse

No doubt...that's the most depressing part of all this, we gave up 3 picks total for McNabb and Brown...and now we may have to not only address their positions AGAIN, but we still have to fill about a dozen holes elsewhere on the roster.

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 3, 2011 11:54 AM

Meanwhile, the Pats get to take 3 of the first 33 picks...

Posted by: Alan4 | January 3, 2011 12:01 PM | Report abuse

God it's painful listening to Grossman try to repeat what his agent told him to say at the podium.

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | January 3, 2011 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Ugh...I'll never understand how JLC landed this NFLN gig, dude sounds like a 10 year-old trying a bad Mr. T impersonation...some faces/voices are just meant for print media...

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 3, 2011 12:07 PM | Report abuse

meeps

Posted by: Oogalaboogala | January 3, 2011 12:11 PM | Report abuse

as much as I dont like Shanny and his my way or the highway routine, I do have to say that at least we were competitive this year. WE lost a lot of close games, but I am happy that we were at least in the game...

Posted by: mhartz1 | January 3, 2011 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mhartz1 | January 3, 2011 12:12 PM

Last year's team lost 7 games by 6 points or less.

Posted by: Alan4 | January 3, 2011 12:16 PM | Report abuse

"After 6-10, there are going to be some changes," Fletcher said. "We'll build through the draft and free agency. But, I hope, not necessarily with the biggest name guys but the ones who'll buy into what we're doing here now."

Amen Fletch!

Posted by: rodskin | January 3, 2011 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mhartz1 | January 3, 2011 12:12 PM | Report abuse

And what kind of coach is Belicheck? Who did NE get rid of this year that was causing a locker room problem? Randy Moss. Oh, but he's so good he should work with him, how will they spread the field, all the experts said. After Moss left they began their superbowl run.

I'm not saying Shanny is perfect, but don't buy into this whiner crap that he is a dictator, my way or the highway stuff. Most good coaches will creat an enviornment of discipline and strong work ethic. Players like fletch (read the quote by him in my post above) don't have a problem with. I say get rid of the high priced whiners and get young and discplined.

Posted by: rodskin | January 3, 2011 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Well, a guy can dream...

And pick the rest up in the free agent pool.

Posted by: habibhaddad | January 3, 2011 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Well, a guy can dream...

And pick the rest up in the free agent pool.

Posted by: habibhaddad | January 3, 2011 1:19 PM | Report abuse

To TDAWG1:

Sorry man....that wouldn't work. NE runs a 3-4 also and that's what Buttersworth was complaining about all along.

Posted by: Skinsational | January 3, 2011 1:27 PM | Report abuse

WHAT A WASTE!!!

Posted by: dc4life | January 3, 2011 1:36 PM | Report abuse

WHAT A WASTE!!!

Posted by: dc4life | January 3, 2011 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Wow.. Long Season.

Shanahan caused alot of drama.. Looking back at the season the Defense was the worst ever 31st Total, 31st against the pass and 26th vs the run.. They say it takes time to get use to the schemes and the 3-4, but why change the scheme and defense if the 2009 Defense had success. Finished 10th total Defense 2009. (Haslett Must GO)Then you bring in a 10+ year vet at QB, Why not change the system to benefit him. Do the things that made him a Great QB.. We tried to change McNabb.. He played poor at times but I blame the coaching. Just like Haynesworth you bring a guy in pay him alot of money, use him to get the best out of him, put him in the best situation to make him shine. Don't try to change him.. I'm trying by best to be a true skins fan its getting very hard...

Posted by: Hound1 | January 3, 2011 1:43 PM | Report abuse

REDSKINS FIRE SECURITY GUARD, HAYNESWORTH AGAIN DISSES COACHING STAFF

ASHBURN, VA -- The last surviving member of former owner Jack Kent Cooke’s original support staff for the Washington Redskins was unceremoniously fired today -- allegedly as part of cost-cutting measures instituted by the team as it enters its long annual off-season, but more likely in retribution for helping rekindle a long, troublesome and dysfunctional relationship between the highly overpaid and underperforming defensive lineman Albert Haynesworth, and the team’s coaching staff and ownership group.

According to sources inside Redskins Park, 47-year employee and security guard Norman “the Doorman” Johnson was summoned to the team’s front office and immediately dismissed shortly after he personally vouched that Haynesworth should be allowed to pass through the team’s security gates, despite the fact the player’s building pass -- in accordance with standard team security procedures -- had automatically expired after more than a month of non-use.

Normally, a player will ask a coach or another player to vouch for them when they forget their building passes, but Haynesworth is on record as adamantly refusing to speak with anyone -- including the team’s coaching staff, other players, front office executives, trainers, water boys, cheerleaders, news media, stadium concessionaires, and even Sonny and Sam -- until the team either pays him another $42 million or grants him an unconditional release from his contract.

So it fell to the unfortunate Mr. Jones to make a snap decision on whether to let Haynesworth into Redskins Park to attend the final team meeting of the just-completed 2010 season, or suffer the possible wrath of the coaching staff for failing to let a star player into the meeting.

According to anonymous sources inside Redskins Park, the team had been hoping that if they ignored the player, and didn’t allow him back into the practice facility, he might just go away without any further trouble. Unfortunately, by misreading the situation and allowing Haynesworth to pass through unchecked, the security guard allowed the disgruntled lineman to deliver yet another insult to the team’s head coach.

Haynesworth reportedly carried a note from his agent, Chad Speck, that said that Speck’s star client would again not participate in the team’s “optional” off-season training and conditioning program -- nor would he or Haynesworth accept any calls or other written or spoken communications from anyone else who might even remotely be associated with the team.

Speck also informed Shanahan that effective immediately, he is the new agent for Fletcher Smith -- and now solely responsible for any future public statements from Mr. Smith, and by extension, he is also the uber-agent for the team’s disgraced scout team quarterback Donovan McNabb.

Posted by: Vic1 | January 3, 2011 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Wow.. Long Season.

Shanahan caused alot of drama..
Posted by: Hound1 | January 3, 2011 1:43 PM

I feel your pain. But I think more than Shanny, the media caused most of the drama by overcritiquing decisions coaches like Belicheck have made. It's different when you are 14-2 I guess. He's not the perfect coach, but he does have a plan that has produced some top offenses in the league. I can see a lot of the young players are buying into his system. Give it time and hopefully we will see sucess.

HTTR!

Posted by: rodskin | January 3, 2011 2:10 PM | Report abuse

A good day for Haynesworthless to show up with everyone in the area fuming over Maryland's choice for football head coach.

I hate DC sports right now and hate that fat worthless prima donna the most.

Posted by: DaveLopan | January 3, 2011 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Just to keep this fresh in everyone's mind:

Posted by: unclelonghair | January 3, 2011 6:21 PM | Report abuse

misleading, to say the least. how many downs or minutes did he play? that's the measure of his "contribution".

Posted by: shabbyreader | January 3, 2011 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: shabbyreader | January 3, 2011 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: shabbyreader | January 3, 2011 9:19 PM | Report abuse

(sorry, folks - meant to hit SEND just once. just once. just once...)

Posted by: shabbyreader | January 3, 2011 9:22 PM | Report abuse

What an incredible waste of money.....how many starving people would Fat Al's contract feed??? Half the country???
What are we doing with this idiot??????

Posted by: Riggo2 | January 3, 2011 10:56 PM | Report abuse

REDSKINS FIRE SECURITY GUARD, HAYNESWORTH AGAIN DISSES COACHING STAFF

Vick1

You've got to be making this up, there's no way the Shannahan's would be so heartless and demeaning to a long time loyal employee
This would be like firing the holder for not handling a high ball in 30 degree rain

Dannyboy just saved himself enough money for a half of tank of fuel for his jet...what a wonderful human being

Posted by: dannyboyrules | January 4, 2011 8:32 AM | Report abuse

No matter how you look at the Albert Hasyworth situation, again he has PROVEN that without him in the line up, "NOBODY" on that front line or linebacking core, made the Pro Bowl except that "BUM" of a cornerback name "I ONLY PLAY FOR THE INT. NOT THE TACKLE" Hall.
This message is from Jason Campbell:"HOW ABOUT THEM RAIDERS" !!

Posted by: Raidersfan2 | January 4, 2011 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Hey, someone should tell Hayneworthless that those half eaten hoagies he obviously came back to the locker room for are all full of nasty bacteria, a, what a minute, never mind.......

Posted by: burro2 | January 4, 2011 12:33 PM | Report abuse

^21^

Hey Al,
I hope you tell the Skins to F*&^k off as you ride into the sunset. Mo Money Mo Money

Once you get to your new team...I'll buy a jersey.

AND I WILL DEFINITELY WEAR IT TO ALL THE HOME GAMES I ATTEND.

My organization stinks and I'm tired of it.

Go Shanahan....turn us around, because you already f*&^ked us.

Posted by: COLUMBIASKINS | January 5, 2011 10:57 AM | Report abuse

leave it to the WP to spin the retirement of the Cigar store Indian into a "firing"...

I bet the guy worked his hardest keeping track of the Squire's binging ex...Marlena Cooke

Posted by: terpsez11 | January 5, 2011 7:24 PM | Report abuse