Jeff Fisher gives non-denial denial on Haynesworth speculation

If defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth plays anywhere else next season, many league observers expect that place to be back in Tennessee. Titans Coach Jeff Fisher, though, did his best to splash water on such speculation in an interview with the Tennessean.

"There has been some speculation that I've had conversations with Mike Shanahan, which is false,'' Fisher told the Tennessean's Jim Wyatt. "I have not had behind-the-scenes meetings with our people. There have been no discussions. He is under contract with the Redskins, and we are dwelling on the draft right now."

In the very next sentence, though, Wyatt writes that there are indications that the Titans are interested in re-acquiring Haynesworth. And Fisher was clearly being careful with his words. Wyatt asked whether the Titans have inquired about Haynesworth; Fisher responded: "Albert is under contract with the Washington Redskins."

Not a very convincing denial.

Coaches don't generally announce -- or even acknowledge -- their interest publicly, so it might not be worth reading too much into Fisher's comments. The big question remains: Are the Redskins willing to cut their monetary losses and part ways with Haynesworth after paying him $32 million for just 12 games?

By Rick Maese  |  April 14, 2010; 11:16 AM ET
Categories:  Albert Haynesworth
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: For Jason Campbell, the smart move is skipping this minicamp
Next: Redskins coaches, players prepare for first minicamp under Mike Shanahan

Comments

I would have to say YES. They'd be willing.

I'm not convinced it's the right decision, necessarily. But if you're fostering team unity, open defiance is not something you suffer lightly.

And with 'deep-pockets' Danny, we've been saying this is the season to cut off bad limbs...

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 14, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

tennessee does not have a 2nd, is that correct, and where is their first round selection?

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 14, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

History of Jason Campbell excuses (career):

2005 - Gibbs too conservative to start rookie. Gibbs puts too much trust in Brunell over Campbell. (NOTE: Redskins make playoffs.)

2006 - Gibbs held team back by going with Brunell until Week 10. Jason's first year as starter in Al Saunders' "new system".

2007 - It's only Jason's first year as the named preseason starter. Saunders' 700 page playbook is too complicated. (NOTE: Campbell loses 4 straight in middle of season before getting injured against Bears. Todd Collins leads team to 4 straight victories and playoffs.)

2008 - "New system" problems again. Rookie receivers. Offensive line injuries. Clinton Portis undermines team. Zorn.

2009 - Zorn. Injuries. Offensive line. Inexperienced receivers. Clinton Portis. Jason not appreciated by team. Lite Brite Jumbo-Tron. Obstructed view seats. Defective Z-Shades. Vinny Cerrato. Redskins sue ticketholders. Albert Haynesworth. Maps.

2010 - Unappreciated. Clinton Portis undermining. Donovan McNabb. Tender offer. Collective Bargaining Agreement. Restricted Free Agency. New system. Shanahan. Allen.

FUTURE EXCUSES:

New system. Lockout. Fear of a black QB.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | April 14, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Great. Then please join me in petitioning JReid to stop crying on Campbell's behalf.

Posted by: p1funk

I'm already ahead of you dude...

I hate the fact that Reid can play "RI superero" and make guys believe that that Campbell or Andre Carter is a sympathetic figure and Portis or Haynesworth is the face of evil.

Reid counts on the dense thinking of some of the fans to stir the sh*t pot.

His act has been played for a little bit now.

Posted by: RedDMV | April 14, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

The Titans would most likely offer a 3rd rounder this year and a 2nd rounder (I can't imagine them investing another 1st round pick on the same player) next year for AH. That is basically two 3rd round picks for Big Al. Any takers?

Posted by: TWISI | April 14, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | April 14, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

We haven't sniffed an NFC championship game since hairbands were cool. Why limit that list to Jason Campbell and 2004?

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | April 14, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

twis, two-second rounders, should be the jumping off point for any trade regarding AH. Getting a 3rd, or less, is galactically stupid...heck, if I'm mike s, I call NE, and see what they'd give for him, they need DE's in their 3-4....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 14, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Reid counts on the dense thinking of some of the fans to stir the sh*t pot.

His act has been played for a little bit now.

Posted by: RedDMV | April 14, 2010 11:28 AM

That I can buy.

The line of thinking that pfunk is bringing here that "I'm sick of the Campbell sympathy, therefore it's Campbell's fault", I cannot.

Like I've said before...we have JC's replacement now. Dogging him at this point is purely personal, not business.

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 14, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | April 14, 2010 11:29 AM

'Skins aren't going to get fair value for AH unless they have at least two teams bidding for him. And, no I wouldn't take the offer you outlined. 'Skins need to get a first round pick next year -- with two first round picks they would be in a position to move up to the top of the draft to get one of the hot-shot QB's coming out.

Posted by: League-Source | April 14, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Yo, Ken!

You forgot the enabler of all those REASONS - Front office management.

Just because Reid tries to paint Campbell as the red head stepchild doesn't mean I have to rally behind it.

Posted by: RedDMV | April 14, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

The $32M is a sunk cost. AH will not play hard out of some sense of honor. The only way to make a guy like AH play hard is to dangle a carrot. Unfortunately the Skins gave AH a phat [sic] carrot before the race, thus removing most of his incentive.

Posted by: TBDog | April 14, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 14, 2010 11:32 AM

I agree w/ you on that.

Posted by: TWISI | April 14, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

**Re-Post**

League Source,

Forgive me. I haven't been around since the Woodrow Wilson administration, so I haven't worked for the last damn near seventy years like you.

And please, STOP it with comparisons with pro athletes and every day 9-5 working people. Because "99.9999%" of the world can't do what these guys do.

I mean you compares coal miners to a NFL quarterback. Your argument was skewed once you made that comparison.

Campbell got paid the money he makes because giving his situation that is the standard in his profession.

Coal Miners ≠ NFL Quarterback

Posted by: RedDMV | April 14, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | April 14, 2010 11:33 AM

Um, yeah. About that...

Wasn't the McNabb trade supposed to eliminate the need to draft a QB for at least a couple years? If they wanna use a late round pick on a 3rd string project then fine, but spending a 1st rounder to warm the bench for 3 years is completely retarded when you have as many holes as this team does. Especially when McNabb will likely outlast Shanahan as a Redskin.

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 14, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Marshall gets $24 million guaranteed
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on April 14, 2010 11:34 AM ET
Brandon Marshall wanted $10-million-per-year, and he got it.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports Marshall will get $50 million over the next five years as part of a four-year, $47 million extension tacked on to his scheduled $2.5 million salary in 2010.

The deal includes $24 million in guaranteed money, and close to $29 million in the first three years of the contract. It's not backloaded, although we're looking forward to seeing more details to learn if there are any natural outs for Miami if things don't go well.

This deal essentially matches Larry Fitzgerald's last contract and arguably makes Marshall the league's highest paid receiver, depending on you count the money.

Posted by: TWISI | April 14, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

I certainly hope Shanahan understands the meaning of "sunk cost". I'm sure the Skins can come to a win-win deal with another team interested in one of the best DTs in football for a bargain basement salary the next 3 years.

Posted by: Dellis2 | April 14, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

there would be no question about it, JC17 would serve as a quality back up. I just don't see any takers for him at the price we are shopping him for. Then it would better serve the team to have him as a bench warmer. Unless we draft a QB which with our needs is unlikely. JC17 and his agent will not find a starting job unless they're willing to go to the Bills or raiders.

Posted by: sthai75 | April 14, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Titans have the #16 pick. with any luck that could = Rolando McClain or CJ Spiller.

etrod would be happy.

Posted by: Original_etrod | April 14, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

AFC east just became the best division in football...in my opinion. Miami/NE/Jets, gonna be a dog fight all year long.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

I thought Michael Vick was still in the NFC East.

Before someone else says it, I KNOW that was lame.

Posted by: TheCork | April 14, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

History of Jason Campbell excuses (career):

FUTURE EXCUSES:

New system. Lockout. Fear of a black QB.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Fyi, it's "Moops."

Posted by: fargincorksucker | April 14, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

"Hopefully he doesn't have his head as far up his ar$e as you seem to and is stuck in a depression because he ONLY made $X millions of dollars as a pro athlete instead of $Y millions of dollars.

Posted by: p1funk"

You're right, hopefully he does.

In fact, I'd be shocked if Marcus Washington didn't jump for joy at the announcement of his release. I mean the guy made millions as a professional athlete.

Welcome to p1funk's world. The only "reality" where getting fired and losing millions is a joyous experience.

Posted by: psps23 | April 14, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

AFC East is going to be pathetic this year. The Jets and Dolphins are trying to do what is proven to fail - sign high priced disgruntled headcases as a way to make the "final transition" to a Super Bowl team (sound familiar anyone?). Pats are the only contenders, but I think they are getting a little old at this point. And then there's Buffalo. That's really all I need to say about them.

Posted by: Section104 | April 14, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TBDog | April 14, 2010 11:34 AM

cows prefer corn.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | April 14, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

I would ask for a first rounder for Haynesworth and if nobody else ponies up then I'd keep him.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | April 14, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

LAst word:

RedDMV has become BeantownGreg on You Know Who....

I feel you though....

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 14, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 14, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

So that the record can be clear to all my good friends here on RI, let me succinctly state my position:

If Campbell is pouting behind the scenes about how tough his situation is, I think he needs a swift back-hand and needs to get in touch with reality. He didn't do enough to earn a starting job off the bat, here, but he still got to make tens of millions of dollars and secure a life for himself (contrary to what psps seems to think).

If he's not doing that, fine.

Either way I don't think Campbell's situation warrants the amount of public sympathy and outpouring that it seems to prompt with guys like Reid, Wilbon, and anyone like-minded.

I'm officially sick of the portrayal of Campbell as a victim.

That is all.

Posted by: p1funk | April 14, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Section104

No, actually that doesn't sound familiar at all.

Difference between the Redskins (in the past) and the Dolphins and Jets?

Better front office
Better coaching staff
Better players (personnel on the roster before acquiring free agents)

Posted by: RedDMV | April 14, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

I haven't been around since the Woodrow Wilson administration, so I haven't worked for the last damn near seventy years....

Posted by: RedDMV | April 14, 2010 11:38 AM

Well we have that in common.

Posted by: League-Source | April 14, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | April 14, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Good news, I hear head bands are making a comeback. People like Jackie Moon did wonders for the popularity. Oh wait....You meant HAIR bands..like Motley Crue? My bad, 7-9 here we come.

(Humming "Round and round...what goes around comes around....")

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | April 14, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Breaking news: video of JC and his agent visting Ashburn and going into lockerroom. Looks like JC is going to fight for his job.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | April 14, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | April 14, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, keep stuffing the straw-men, buddy

I see plenty of folks up here that are thinking the same thing I am.

So far it's you, Wilbon, JReid. But keep at it. Maybe the movement will grow.

Posted by: p1funk | April 14, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, moo man, but I call BS on that. No cow "prefers" corn. Cows are grazing animals, they're built for the eating of the grass. The fact that the American corporate food system force-feeds them corn (and other crap) doesn't mean they somehow prefer it or that we should see it as a normal and acceptable part of their diet.

(Good to get that off my chest.)

(Ahem.)

Posted by: NateinthePDX | April 14, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, truth about it all is that I'm a lazy piece of sh*t who can't stand to work and would just prefer to collect welfare and food stamps. I also live in low-income housing but for some reason I can't pay my 12 dollars a month rent.

Posted by: RedDMV | April 14, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | April 14, 2010 11:26 AM

Point taken. It would have been even better, had it been written to the tune of Billy Joel's 'We Didn't Start the Fire.'

Example: Verse for 2010

Fat Albert, Jim Zorn, The O-line's getting old. Ticketgate, 'Nation's torn, another Sherman in the fold.

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | April 14, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Excuse me...Verse for 2009 Season.

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | April 14, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

(Good to get that off my chest.)

(Ahem.)

Posted by: NateinthePDX | April 14, 2010 11:57 AM

just like humans evolved to eat high fructose corn syrup?

I'm a free-range grass-fed bovine all the way, but given the choice, I'd bet the vast majority of cattle would dig on corn instead.

which is a lot better than mad cannibal cows fed BSE slaughterhouse waste...

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | April 14, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source |

You are kidding right? You think a team is going to give the skins a first rounder for a malcontent. Although his contract may seem favorable due to the upfront money already paid to AH everyone knows he is going to be asking for a new contract within a year of a trade. He will have one good year and will be asking for more money than the 5 mil per year he is getting. He is often out of shape and injured.

This has the makings of a 3rd this year and maybe a 5th next year. Nobody is trading a first rounder for AH.

Posted by: srobert1117 | April 14, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Trade projections from GBN, including:

Pats trading up to take Dez.
Jags trading back and taking Tebo.
Texans move up to take Spiller.
Eagles move up to take Haden.

Posted by: skinfanman | April 14, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

"But you are the only one I see beating the drum of "millionaire-athletes-that-don't -deserve-to-keep-their-starting-jobs-are -sympathetic-figures-in-society"."

Hah. I never said Campbell was a sympathetic figure. I never even said I feel sorry for him.

I merely pointed out the fact that, shockingly, there is merit in someone taking time to come around to the fact that they got fired, potentially lost millions of dollars, and has an entirely uncertain future from an event that happened just TWO WEEKS AGO.

Jeez. Pull your head out of your @ss and view the situation "in reality".

Oh, I forgot, Campbell is a millionaire. Jump for joy Jason.

Posted by: psps23 | April 14, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

(Good to get that off my chest.)

(Ahem.)

Posted by: NateinthePDX | April 14, 2010 11:57 AM
------------------------------------------
Stop right there Nate before you start telling us about how you know so much about farm animals and what other intimate experiences you have had with them. You've made me hungry for a corned beef reuben and I thank whomever forced the corn down the cow's throat so that I may consume it's flesh in tastebud bliss.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | April 14, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | April 14, 2010 11:52 AM

While I can agree with the need to quit with the martyr stuff (and I only really see it here, honestly), I don't jive with the mindset that JC has no reason to be upset. While it's nice to have the "glass half full" outlook, not everyone is able to take that view in the midst of whatever the challenge may be. You're right that he's earned a nice living, but as a competitor he wants to start and he wants to finish the job in Washington. Personally, I'd have a lot less respect for JC if he WASN'T upset about what's going on.

That said, he's done here. I don't think he ever had a fair shake here regardless of whether he battled with a vet for his job or not. Handing the starting QB spot to a 1st rounder to sink or swim is hardly a departure from precedent...I mean, the Packers threw out Brett f-ing Favre for Aaron Rodgers, and JC didn't leapfrog any such sacred cows here. But it's all moot now...there's a new coach and new regime and they wanna start fresh. Let's roll with that.

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 14, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Jeez. Pull your head out of your @ss and view the situation "in reality".

Oh, I forgot, Campbell is a millionaire. Jump for joy Jason.

Posted by: psps23 | April 14, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

You were the one strumming up the violins b/c JC was "only" going to make $3mill this year, and he might have to go through the horrible ordeal of uprooting and moving the imaginary family that he doesn't have to a new city where he will get to be on a different pro team - oh, the agony.

And Yes. JC is a millionaire. At the end of the day that is something to jump for joy and gratitude about.

Do you seriously not get that???

Posted by: p1funk | April 14, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

RSH, I hope you're joking when you imply that the term "corned beef" has to do with what the cow was fed as opposed to how the beef was cured...

But through the power of suggestion, your comment now has me hankering for a Reuben as well... pay it forward, such as... fortunately there's a place down the block that makes a solid Reuben... how long 'til lunchtime?

Posted by: NateinthePDX | April 14, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Grow beans, Nate, beans..I was in the garden last night and the Dark Side of the Chelada reared its heinous head, and I proceeded to projectile vomit like a firehose..The soil's ph should be better now..Actually , I'm the Fly and was preparing the food for my insect digestive tract..But, grow beans for protein source, with the occasional ratmeat and rice from Charlie..

AH for no less than what the Broncos got for Brandon, standard headcase trade value for All-Pros...

Posted by: frak | April 14, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | April 14, 2010 12:08 PM

You need to pull your head out of JC's butt if you believe he would have commanded as much as $20-$30M if he was an UFA.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | April 14, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Re: AH

I'm sure Jeff Fisher has a poker face on.

I'm sure that he - like alot of the Titans fans out there - are quietly praying the rosary that Shanny will do something utterly stupid and emotional like trade AH to the Titans for a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Posted by: p1funk | April 14, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

which is a lot better than mad cannibal cows fed BSE slaughterhouse waste...

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | April 14, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

I grew up on a farm and from my observation the cows will eat corn as long as it's mixed in with other grains. I've never seen them eat straight corn. Even if it is mixed in with other grains the cows still spend most of the day grazing and eating grass. It appears as if they supplement their diets with the grain mixture but prefer to eat mainly grass. It may also be that they prefer to move while they eat. Deer will also come and eat some grain too. They actually mix right in with the cows. It's kind of funny to watch. I've never seen any of them just sit and eat grain all day though. It would be tough to say that they prefer corn.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | April 14, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Campbell is making himself out to be a martyr?

I don't get you all sometimes. So, because Reid paints Campbell as the tragic hero, it's Campbell's fault.

Pardon me for believing that Reid's words have no bearing on what Campbell thinks and says.

Like I said, until I read actual quotes from Campbell, and not this opinion based bullsh*t, then I'm of the belief that I, you all, and Reid haven't a fu_king clue as to what Campbell could be thinking.

Posted by: RedDMV | April 14, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | April 14, 2010 12:24 PM

Agreed.

What gets me is that's pfunk's EXACT ARGUMENT for the whole AH thing. Yet it doesn't apply to Campbell in the least. Completely amazing...

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 14, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Days and days, posts after posts speculating on Haynesworth and so few facts....

I heard the patriots were gonna trade two of their second rounders for him.

Sources say Tennessee wants him...

He's going to (choose) Oakland/Buffalo with Jason....

Detroit for their 2nd pick...

ughhhhh.....

Posted by: edvar | April 14, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Foods that I hate:

Corned Beef
Sour Kraut
Rye Bread

Food that I love:

Reubin.

Thousand Island dressing is magic.

Posted by: Original_etrod | April 14, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Cows like Crownvetch!

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 14, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

And the resultant methane pollution should scare off unwanted human vermin like BeantownGreg...Oh no, he's from Boston, they actually SWIM in that bean-fart pollution!! maybe electric wire..

Posted by: frak | April 14, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | April 14, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

I agree 100%.. Since he has been in Washington, I have thought many times "what is JC thinking!?"

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | April 14, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

History of Jason Campbell excuses (career):
FUTURE EXCUSES:
New system. Lockout. Fear of a black QB.
Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | April 14, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

I’m not a JC supporter, but dude enough with the JC bashing. At this point it is just becoming cruel and classless to keep going after a guy at a low point of his career. You got your wish, what else do you want? You got your franchise quarterback, JC is on his way out, and the Skins get a new start – AGAIN. Let the man be.

Posted by: Ejayraptor | April 14, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Sorry if this was already posted. I saw this video of Jerry Jones this morning on ESPN. Pretty funny stuff.

Posted by: Rusty6392 | April 14, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

I heard the patriots were gonna trade two of their second rounders for him.

Sources say Tennessee wants him...

He's going to (choose) Oakland/Buffalo with Jason....

Detroit for their 2nd pick...

ughhhhh.....

Posted by: edvar |

It's the offseason. You can see by Fisher's careful words, nobody wants to get hit with a "tampering" violation.

So nobody is speaking for the record. Deals are done in back crooms. Of COURSE there are no facts. Without speculation, there's no updates.

The NFL makes the development of the Stealth Bomber and now the TR-3b look like all truth all the time by comparison.

Posted by: TheCork | April 14, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Foods that I hate:

Corned Beef
Sour Kraut
Rye Bread

Food that I love:

Reubin.

Thousand Island dressing is magic.

Posted by: Original_etrod | April 14, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Don't forget the swiss cheese. I hate everything but the rye bread, but I just love ruebens too.

Posted by: frediefritz | April 14, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

I think J. Reid and Florio are the same person.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 14, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

So true, etrod, so true. Rye bread in any other circumstance... ugh. But rye bread Reubenized... delicious.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | April 14, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Coal Miners ≠ NFL Quarterback

Posted by: RedDMV

First use of the 'not equal' sign in RI history?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 14, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Crown vetch!? How'd those clever Hokies come up with that idea, anyway?

"It is not a true vetch, although it resembles common and hairy vetch." About which the less said, the better.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | April 14, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

"And Fisher was clearly being careful with his words."

Fisher is a weird dude.

Wilbon and Tony interviewed him on PTI on day and he was the same way with them when asked about the QB position.

He's one of the worst interviews, like ever.

I sure hope they take Fat Al back though.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | April 14, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Shanahan and Allen have said they aren't actively seeking a trade for Haynesworth. Haynesworth has said he doesn't have an issue playing in the 3-4. Fischer has now made it public that there has been no discussion with the Redskins regarding Haynesworth... the team that supposedly made the most sense.

Could be that the local media just doesn't have the sources it claims it has. Nothing but inaccurate reporting with no substance or facts provided at all, just speculation. It's pretty sad when we get the real facts from a damn Tennessee news paper.

Posted by: dfbovey | April 14, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

With Brandon Marshall signing his tender yesterday, and JC signing his last week, I thought almost for sure there was going to be a trade between the Skins and Denver that involved Campbell and some draft picks or JC and AH to Denver for Marshall and a draft pick. Oh well. If the Skins get three picks for JC and AH I'd be happy.

Posted by: AsstGM | April 14, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | April 14, 2010 12:36 PM

Yeah, thanks Cork. This isn't my first rodeo, in case you forgot. Just tired of WaPo fanning the flames with this BS instead of doing some real work.

I'll be ok.

Posted by: edvar | April 14, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV

That assumes that what Campbell says (will say) is what he is actually thinking. Just like conversations at bars, conversations with spouses/girlfriends or conversations about contracts/jobs, that is not always the case.

Posted by: amaranthpa | April 14, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

start of season beeps

Posted by: RomoShortball | April 14, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Maybe we could get two first rounders like we did when the idiot Panthers gave us that for Gilbert.

Posted by: fearturtle44 | April 14, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dfbovey | April 14, 2010 12:46 PM

I’ve been pretty much saying the same thing as you, and am amazed at how hard the RI guys are pushing this….I don’t usually criticize these guys but they seem to be going overboard on this (Lacanfora as well).

Having said that, though, the last time I remember them pushing a non-story this hard was when they claimed the skins were offering up 2 first rounders for Chad Ocho-cinco…..the deal never happened, but it did turn out that the RI guys were right that the skins did make that offer…..

Posted by: dlhaze1 | April 14, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Fisher like Shanahan is known for keeping things close the the vest. I'm sure that he's had some informal discussions with the Redskins, but he'd be an idiot to admit it if there are no other bidder for Big Al. It doesn't sound like Detroit is serious about making an offer and Tennessee would never give up another No. 1 pick for a guy they already drafted who left.

Best case is the Redskins get a No. 3 this year and possibly a No. 2 next year based on the number of snaps that Haynesworth plays back in Tenessee. As for the JC bashing, I didn't hear him making any complaints after McNabb was acquired and he is staying away from Redskins Park to not be a distraction. Whether you think he was given a fair chance or not, the time for bashing JC is long over. He's not going to be in a Redskins uniform this year and has handled things in a class way since he's been here. Also, why the bashing of Jason Reid who has simply reported what has been happening with JC since the end of the season.

Posted by: wizfan89 | April 14, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

It's pretty sad when we get the real facts from a damn Tennessee news paper.

Posted by: dfbovey

The damn Tennessee news paper printed the following:

"There are indications, however, that the Titans are interested in acquiring Haynesworth, who is reportedly disgruntled because the Redskins are changing from a 4-3 defense to a 3-4."

If then failed to print what those indications might be. Where exactly are the facts and the lack of speculation?

Posted by: amaranthpa | April 14, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | April 14, 2010 12:21 PM

nice points, PAskins. especially like the image of everyone grazing together... we don't see much deer here, mostly elk and the occasional stray moose.

still think AH spends too much time by himself on the feed lot.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | April 14, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

I think I'd keep AH too if nothing reasonable presents itself. I'd just play him every single down in pre-season and force him to get in shape and if he refuses then fine him 100,000 or so for each play he misses. He actually was pretty impressive last season on 3rd and 4th and short yardage situations.

Posted by: AsstGM | April 14, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | April 14, 2010 12:24 PM

Agreed.

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 14, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

?!?!

Brownie, I know you are vying for Prez of the p1funk fan club, and so you like to cite me alot, which is cool.

But could you please explain the connection between what we've been talking about re: Campbell and AH??

Posted by: p1funk | April 14, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Sure what's 32 mil between friends...?

What I want most is a guarantee for the safety of my son AH. If anything should happen to him, any accident, this I do not forgive

Posted by: ElYeah | April 14, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

"'Skins need to get a first round pick next year -- with two first round picks they would be in a position to move up to the top of the draft to get one of the hot-shot QB's coming out.Posted by: League-Source"

Which hot-shot QBs were you thinking of?

Posted by: Samson151 | April 14, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Fact is no one knows what's going on. We all can speculate we all can guess but no one knows whether he is going or not. Fact is Danny spent alot on a player that was brought here to be the final piece, he has gotten millions for 12 games and he saw the dysfunction that we don't see but hear about. Fact is Haynesworth is in a win win and it would be better if Shanny went to him as a man and discussed things. But they are both head strong and arrogant, there are no winners in this cause we as fans won't see AH used as he should be used and rather than to put so much importance on whether he is coming to a camp that isn't mandatory spend some time figuring out what the hell is going on with the offensive line. That's the news that should be reported on.

Posted by: russellpenmaniii | April 14, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Everyone voting yes is doing JC a disservice
Posted by: 4thFloor | April 14, 2010 9:26 AM

Agreed!

Posted by: abxinc | April 14, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Why the need to start all this crap in the first place? Why switch to a 3-4? Why bring in Haslett and change defenses if your personnel doesn't match the new system?

Posted by: dclifer97 | April 14, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Package Campbell and Haynesworth in a trade with Oakland or Buffalo for their 1st round pick (1.8 or 1.9). Eat the bulk of Albert's bonus and cut your losses. This way, the Skins can end up with McNabb, OT Okung, and OT Campbell or a stud DE for the price of their 2nd round pick and bonus money to Albert Whats-he-worth. Obvious roadblocks to this deal are (1) Buffalo or Oakland's willingness to part with 1.8/1.9 for our players and (2) cap impact of eating a bulk of Albert's bonus.

I would first try to package these guys to a needy team before one-offing them individually for less value.

Posted by: DrTheopolis | April 14, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Package Campbell and Haynesworth in a trade with Oakland or Buffalo for their 1st round pick (1.8 or 1.9). Eat the bulk of Albert's bonus and cut your losses. This way, the Skins can end up with McNabb, OT Okung, and OT Campbell or a stud DE for the price of their 2nd round pick and bonus money to Albert Whats-he-worth? Obvious roadblocks to this deal are (1) Buffalo or Oakland's willingness to part with 1.8/1.9 for our players and (2) cap impact of eating a bulk of Albert's bonus.

I would first try to package these guys to a needy team before one-offing them for less value.

Posted by: DrTheopolis | April 14, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Fatboy is smart, I gotta give THAT to him. He listened when Deion said 'Washington is where you go to get PAID baby!!'.

So he got his...same as anyone would

The Danny can afford it...after all, it is his continued failed philosophy that brought this to pass, only right that he gets taken like the sucker he is.

Think he'll learn finally? Doubt it...

Posted by: kahlua87 | April 14, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

If the Redskins' coaching staff feels that switching to a 3-4 defense will produce turnovers and this is a driving rationale for change, and if there are players that aren't well suited for this defense, why would we keep them?

Let's face it - Haynesworth has as much impact as he doesn't. He's a 50/50 player. Half the time he has an excuse, is flopping on the ground, or just isn't in the game. At that point, he's a non-impact player.

Then there are the times he is in the game and offers a glimpse at why we invested in him.

When you consider that Haynesworth is virtually worthless in a 3-4, do you then swallow your pride, get rid of a player who is a cancer in the locker room and admit you made a mistake? Is it smarter to come to the conclusion now, after 12 games played? Or, do you wait until he has two years as a Redskin so you can amortize your decision so it looks better on a dollar per game played basis?

All things considered, Haynesworth isn't going to be more reliable, more durable, in better shape, with a better attitude, or more consistent this year than he was last year. We've seen his conduct before at Tennessee so retaining his services just to make the dollars per game played look like a better decision is simply ludicrous!

Haynesworth needs to go. Bring some sanity back to the player procurement process and get rid of the mistakes from the past. We can no longer make decisions that "make us look better". We need decisions that "make US BETTER!"

Posted by: laserwizard | April 14, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

--------------------------
Haynesworth knows he's got no legacy with with his tendency to run out of gas. To not be in shape is his nature. He got by on ability alone and now that he's crappin out there's nothing left. He was definitely wise to get PAID. Hopefully he'll be the last example of boneheaded signings.

Posted by: richs91 | April 14, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

FYI SI's latest poll has the skins drafting trent williams with the 4th.

Posted by: davefromdc1 | April 14, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

32 million for 12 games.....

smells like Deon Saunders all over again.

Posted by: Jason10 | April 14, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

I wish campbell goes someplace and makes the playoffs so you people can suck yourselves dry. You were the same people saying bench brunell for him. As for AH, make him stay, make him play. Dont reward him after he takes 32 million by sending him back to the team he really wants to play for without earning his pay here. Unlike Deon and some of the others when they got here, he has something left in the tank and for 32 million we deserve whats left. I know the coach does not like him but trading him is giving him what he wants without him earning it. Why should the titans get his best and they were not willing to pay for it. He already knows that his best way out is to give the coach problems and force the coaches hand. Dont fall for it Mike. Make his big butt play here and earn his money. Make him play mad, maybe he will play better disgruntled. We fans are thinking with our emotions because they arent a good team but this guy can play and we deserve his prime years because we paid him for it. I dont care if he does not want to play this position or that get your fat butt out there and play and earn this 32 million we gave you or we take it back. Or if you trade him trade his butt to the lions. That will learn him.

Posted by: ged0386 | April 14, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Look, if you have a mega-million dollar man like Haynesworth, a lineman obviously you were willing to neglect more pressing needs to obtain, why don't you build you defense around him, demand he gets in shape, and assign at least one coach to keep him content? This situation shows us that the Redskins are as dysfunctional as ever and it is as though Vinny Cerrato still is running the personnel side of the business.

Posted by: royhobbs56 | April 14, 2010 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Beatriz and you other people who just can't stop beating up on JC, first of all, he never MADE excuses. During his entire tenure, he made ONE statement referring to getting beaten up by the pass rush, and you people just jump all over it. Second, his first two years here Brunnel was named the starter. No excuse needed there. You can criticize his ability as a QB all you want, but nobody can argue that he wasn't the ultimate team player and a true class act. His NFL career is not over. As another poster said, JC will either be gone or a back-up next year, so those of you who continue to bash the man are just useless haters who bring nothing to the conversations here.

Posted by: kenboy1 | April 14, 2010 11:25 PM | Report abuse