Kevin Mawae rips Albert Haynesworth

In case you haven't heard enough people ripping Albert Haynesworth, let's listen briefly to Kevin Mawae, who's not only the NFL Players Association president but also was Haynesworth's teammate in Tennessee from 2006 to 2008.

Mawae, currently a free agent, appeared on Sirius radio with Bryan McGovern and Gil Brandt Thursday night and didn't hold back.

"You talk about someone putting a mask on and going in backwards to get his paycheck," Mawae said. "I mean, if you don't want to be there, don't take the $21 million contract.  How things turned out, it's no surprise to guys that have played with him in Tennessee.  You know, what do you say?

"I mean, you're getting paid a ton of money to play less and you're complaining about it," he continued. "At the end of the day, it's one thing to be a football player and get paid lots of money, but there's a whole lot more to be said about being a man. You know, he's a [inaudible] player when he wants to be and he can be one of the best in the league and I've said that to him in his face before.  But to this point he doesn't want to do it on a consistent basis."

"At some point in time in the game, you know, you got to do what's right for yourself and what's right for you and your family. I think $32 million guaranteed in one year pretty much takes care of those issues. I think the other issues go beyond the football field."

By Rick Maese  |  June 18, 2010; 3:14 PM ET
Categories:  Albert Haynesworth
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jim Haslett: Defense is with the program
Next: Redskins fine Haynesworth $10,000

Comments

To mark this week's 30th anniversary of the film, the Blues Brothers, the Vatican newspaper dedicated a full page and no fewer than five articles to it.

"This is a memorable film, and, judging by the facts, a Catholic one," the newspaper said.

"OK -- who is more delusional? The Catholic Church or Albert Haynesworth?"

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 18, 2010 2:52 PM
................

that's easy...... at least there is a movie called "the blues brothers"....

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | June 18, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Who is this Albert Haynesworth guy that you speak of?

Posted by: REDneckSKINhead | June 18, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Haynesworth better get use to playing Nose Tackle for us....

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 18, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

With the amount of players ripping Haynesworth you can put together a nice group of good to HOF players.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 18, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

I'm down for the count, must pack the car and get going, but more from PFT...

"Redskins will have a very hard time getting Haynesworth's bonus money"

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 18, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

doesn't bode well for haynesworth trying to keep all that money. if the NFLPA prez thinks his actions are egregious... maybe snyder does have a chance to take some of it back out of Al's pocket.

"straight arrows on a crooked warpath"

Posted by: bcarothers | June 18, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

"Redskins will have a very hard time getting Haynesworth's bonus money"

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 18, 2010 3:43 PM

Well, that's half the story. The other half is that it is impossible for Haynesworth to play for any team other than the Redskins unless the Redskins trade him or release him. And the Redskins aren't likely to do that until he graciously returns a big chunk of the money he's already received. So, looks like the two sides need to do some negotiating?

Posted by: greenback | June 18, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bcarothers | June 18, 2010 3:44 PM

mol... not a lawyer and haven't seen the contract, but agreed this has the potential to become an influential legal battle as ownership and players head into CBA negotiations.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 18, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

I say do nothing with AH. Fine/discipline him what you legally can and let him sit the bench unless some idiot wants to give us a 2nd round pick 4 him.

Posted by: vegasskinsfan | June 18, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

So, looks like the two sides need to do some negotiating?

greenback | June 18, 2010 3:48 PM |

HA, well at least we now have a front office that knows how to negotiate.

If Vinny was still here, left to him we would probably end up paying AH more money and still get rid of him.

Posted by: craig81 | June 18, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: greenback | June 18, 2010 3:48 PM

likewise agreed, both sides have leverage. under "rational actor" theory, we might think AH would man up and do his part. but not sure that applies here, as in many real world situations... much depends on how you model parameters related to "value".

really must go (wife and calves are getting pissy) and I'm past the self-imposed limit of three posts after warning of sign-off.

HHTR!

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 18, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Nobody this off season is willing to trade value for players because of the uncertainty of the CBA.In a regular off season you can trade guys like Roy Williams for a 1st, 3rd, and 5th round pick. This off season better players like Santonio Holmes get traded for a 5th rounder. I know he has character issues, but really a 5th rounder? Wait until next year when other teams are willing to trade high draft picks and when the redskins are not coming off of a 4-12 season (hopefully)and Haynesworth's value will go up.

Posted by: nfcBEaST | June 18, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Redskins will have a very hard time getting Haynesworth's bonus money
Posted by Mike Florio on June 18, 2010 3:34 PM ET
We've finally gotten our hands on the full contract between the Redskins and defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth. And it appears based on the language of the contract and the relevant terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement that the Redskins have little or no chance of recovering any of Haynesworth's bonus money in the wake of his decision to skip this week's mandatory minicamp.

Based on the terms of the contract itself, the Redskins have the right to recover not only the $21 million in signing bonus money paid on April 1 but also $4,285,716 of the $5 million paid to him in 2009. But the contract ignores specific language in the 2006 CBA, which dramatically limits the forfeiture of cash money from signing bonuses to two specific circumstances.

Here's the relevant language, from Article XIV, Section 9(a) of the CBA: "Blah, Blah, Blah"

In English, this means that skipping a mandatory minicamp places none of the signing bonus in jeopardy. Ever.

If Haynesworth fails to show up for even one day of training camp, the Redskins then can pursue 25 percent of the 2010 allocation of the initial $5 million signing bonus, and 25 percent of the 2010 allocation of the $21 million signing bonus paid this year. But if he shows up for training camp (and he reportedly plans to do) and for every game, he gets to keep his money.

And the Plaxico Burress grievance from 2009 means that Haynesworth keeps the money even if the team eventually suspends Haynesworth for conduct detrimental to the team. Basically, unless he holds out or retires, he keeps the money.

The only tangible consequence at this point arises with respect to the guaranteed nature of Haynesworth's $3.6 million base salary in 2010 and his $5.4 million base salary in 2011. By ditching the mandatory minicamps, the guarantees have been voided. This means that, if they cut him, the Redskins most likely won't have to pay him $9 million in future guaranteed money.

Still, as far as we can tell, Haynesworth and the NFLPA are right on this one. He gets to keep his money, even if he doesn't really deserve to do so.

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 18, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

shan said he has a plan for that selfish pos; can't wait to see what it is.

Posted by: mohawk44 | June 18, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

So with all this support accross the league for the FO (oddly enough), Staff & attending Players, I wonder how much of a distraction his 'return' will actually be.

The press'll go nuts, but I'm not sure the team will feel division in any real sense. Strong leadership trumps SJKery?

Posted by: DikShuttle | June 18, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Re-posting from late last night:

Fat Albert has probably screwed up future contract negotiations for almost every player in the NFL.
"I'm sorry, but we just can't offer any guaranteed money to your client. How do we know that your client wont pull a Hanesworth?"
Those words will probably be heard by every agent who represents an NFL player.

It also occurs to me that Alberts actions probably will hurt the NFLPA in their attempt to negotiate a new collective bargaining agreement with the owners. The owners will surely want to increase what they can recoup from any player that tries to attempt anything like this in the future. Players all over the league need to consider what Fat A-hole is doing to hurt their future. He is setting a VERY bad precedent for all of them, and couldn't have picked a worse year to do it.
--------------
I think that Kevin Mawae has figured this out. Hanesworth has personally screwed EVERY player in the NFL.

Posted by: kaasmaster | June 18, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

This reminds me of Sean Gilbert's holdout because God told him he was supposed to make more (that ended up ok for skins, two first-rounders from Carolina), and of the horrible situation with Deion Sanders, baseball, and the exact same issue in 2001 as here today - took bonus, didn't have any intention to play - (that didn't end up good except for minor victory of still having him under contract in 2004 when he wanted to play with Ravens).

Still, I wish he was fired up and playing for the skins. Too bad he's become nothing more than an interesting footnote in football player contract negotiations. Contracts have to have provisions to prevent thug-like behavior.

Posted by: msw13 | June 18, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

That sounds about right, Cheeze.

What a total tool. Snyderrato sure could pick 'em.

Posted by: DikShuttle | June 18, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: msw13 | June 18, 2010 4:40 PM

That was a boondoggle as well....

We cut Dion...And San Diego claimed him off of waivers...and they traded him to BMore for a pick...Go look it up...

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 18, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

I'm on board with craig81.

Fine and suspend him within the fullest extent of the CBA and then make life a living hell when he finally shows his ungrateful, greedy, fat a$$.

I can't respect overpaid, uneducated, selfish, prima-donna athletes.

Only trade him after the season starts when a team hits injury trouble and needs DL help.

Leverage the situation to favor the team or let this waste of skin return his bonus money for a quick trade out if DC.

Posted by: psssst | June 18, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

I can't respect overpaid, uneducated, selfish, prima-donna athletes.

Posted by: psssst | June 18, 2010 4:50 PM

The only good athletes are the opposite kind: underpaid, over-educated, selfless, corps de ballet types. Mostly they join the Peace Corps instead of the NFL.

Posted by: greenback | June 18, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

I dunno, Greenback.

We had Art Monk, Mark Mosley, Darrell Green and Charles Mann... wot say?

Posted by: DikShuttle | June 18, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

I just thought of a trade. Why not trade Haynsworth to the Panthers? A team that needs a D linemen, and run the 4-3.

Then in return we get DeAnglo Williams. He is in the last year of his contract. He will most likly leave via Free Agency next offseason. They have Johnathen Stewart...

So instead of us waiting for Brain Westbrook, we can get a younger and faster guy in Williams. Release Parker, and have CP and Williams split carries with Larry Johnson as the short yardage guy.

Posted by: roccoskins | June 18, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 18, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

_________________________________________

To be honest... We are all OVER-REACTING to a guy missing a 2 day mini camp... I mean, we can boo this guy every chance we get, but the real story is going to be Day 1 of Vets reporting to training camp.

"Let's see... I got 31 million & it only will cost me $10,000 if I want to sit this one out."

Haynesworth is just being a big f'n baby & he can pout now for another month because no team in their right mind is even going to offer the Skins a ham sandwich for this guy.

The question is... can he suck up his pride/attitude & show up to work on July 29? Because, if he shows any negative attitude or attempts to be a cancer (like Brandon Marshall last year), I can see Bruce/Shanny suspending him.

The problem is... They can't suspend him for more than 4 games under the "conduct detrimental to team" policy... then what?? Deactivate him for the season?? (Keyshawn)

I just see Haynesworth as a guy that does whatever he wants & doesn't care what anyone thinks... The Redskins are going to have to be just as stubborn as he has when punishing this guy & not let him off the hook... don't cut him... don't trade him... keep him around & give him $48 million worth of punishment... bad media, hateful teammates, hateful coaches, etc & teach him how to be a man or bury him while trying.

Posted by: tony325 | June 18, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Hands down most hated,despised teamate off alltime! AH is the winner.

Posted by: sthai75 | June 18, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Recoup some of Haynesworthless' bonus and use it to sign Mawae.

Posted by: jgarrisn | June 18, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

I would so love to see the Redskins put him on the inactive list for every game for the remainder of his contract. Let the league know that the asking price is two # 1's or he stays inactive. In 5 years, when he can opt out, he'll be close to 500lbs and no longer able to play the game. His career will have been wasted due to greed.

Posted by: unquiltom | June 18, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

We are going to at least add a new term to our lexicon out of all this, similar in nature to terms like "daisy dukes" and "going postal."
That term? "pulling a Haynesworth." Which will simply mean any action which is designed to deviously exploit someone who is dealing with you in good faith.

"I paid a homeless man to paint my fence but he disappeared after I gave him the money. Guess I should have known he might pull a Haynesworth."

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | June 18, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

moodly

"Redskins will have a very hard time getting Haynesworth's bonus money"

Thought so.

And to not be found in breach of contract, he must come to the start of camp, you'd think.

Whereas I get how the FO sees AH as some kind of assest, I'd take any future draft picks of value to be rid of the guy.

And as for D Snyder's money, well, that's gone.

He can forget 'bout that.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 18, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Is Albert Haynesworth a fat,selfish bastard?Does Charlie Daniels play a mean fiddle.(Thats how you do it son).

Posted by: smittdiddy | June 18, 2010 6:17 PM | Report abuse

A hypothetical meeting between haynesworth and his shrink”
----------------------------------------
Physiatrist: Tell me Mr. Haynesworth, why did you ask to speak with me today?
----
Haynesworth: No one seems to like me; people are calling me greedy and fat.

Physiatrist: Did you give them reason to call you greedy and fat?
----
Haynesworth: Well, last year I play in only 12 of 16 games and I got tired a lot.

Physiatrist: That’s not a good reason for people to call you greedy and fat. I’m sure you earned about the same as other defensive linemen last year……. right?
----
Haynesworth: Well, not exactly, I made 32 Million dollars in one year, but I don’t want to play in their new defense this year because there are only 3 linemen. It would be harder for me to lay on the ground like I did last year. If there are four lineman, then I can lay on the ground and the other 3 can make plays, be I can’t do that if there are only 2 other lineman. Does that make sense Doc?
----
Physiatrist: Get the Fu%$ out of my office you big fat %#@&@, lazy, greedy thief. Don’t you know that most players would be glad to make ¼ of that? I don’t believe this sh*$. Get the fu$# out.

Posted by: kingpenn1 | June 18, 2010 6:22 PM | Report abuse

The Skins could go from questionable o-line to very decent o-line by acquiring McNeil or Gaithers (if either are available). Put McNeill/Gaither at LT, shift Trent Williams to RT, start Dockery, Rabach, and Hicks inside. I don't know what either of those guys would cost in compensation but it might be worth it. I still don't think it was wise to extend Rabach though. Kevin Mawea is available and is much better than Rabach

Posted by: coparker5 | June 18, 2010 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: roccoskins | June 18, 2010 5:12 PM

Works great in Madden, not so much in real life...Williams is a nice player and would be great in this system, but he's in his late 20s and has more productive years behind him than in front of him. Plus he's in the last year of his contract so he'll want a new deal in place before his plane lands at Dulles. Not to mention, Jonathan Stewart--as great a RB as he is--has a track record for getting hurt so he's probably better used in tandem like they're doing already.

Then there's the issue that NOBODY is going to trade a valuable commodity for AH in this point in time. Everybody knows this is going to end badly and that the Skins will have to give AH up for pennies on the dollar because most teams will be content to wait for us to cut him.

And if I were a betting man, I'd put my money on AH getting cut rather than traded.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 18, 2010 6:29 PM | Report abuse

A hypothetical meeting between haynesworth and his shrink”
----------------------------------------
Physiatrist: Tell me Mr. Haynesworth, why did you ask to speak with me today?
----
Haynesworth: No one seems to like me; people are calling me greedy and fat.

Physiatrist: Did you give them reason to call you greedy and fat?
----

----
----

***And the joke is that Albert is too
F&%$$ dumb that he did't realize that he wasn't speaking with a psychiatrist

Posted by: kingpenn1 | June 18, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: roccoskins | June 18, 2010 5:12 PM

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 18, 2010 6:33 PM | Report abuse

god, what fools vinny, snyder, zorn, and blanche were to not only sign fat albert but to such a ridiculous contract. everyone but them seemed to know that fat albert's character sucks and trumps his talent. this thing is reminding the whole league, virtually every day now, what a screwed-up franchise snyder runs. good luck shanny and bruce -- we're rooting for you!

Posted by: chris_zz | June 18, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Low probabiliy of ultimte success or not, it may be possible to shop for a sympathetic judge and get his assets frozen pending the outcome of any litigation. That would be some real leverage for us.

Shanny should make a statement about how any players will be treated at trainnig camp sorta like this:

"We have three criteria for any player to earn the right to step on the field with other deserving players: 1) They must be in condition; 2) they must understand our playbook to the point they will not hinder practice; and 3) they must exhibit a positive team attitude. Players who do not meet that criteria will be kept in a classroom and trained individually until they are eligible for the honor of joinint their teammate who do meet those criteria".

Then run the crap out of him on the sidelines where everyone can see him but away from the team. He'll either come around or quite/cave in.

Posted by: Cookie4 | June 18, 2010 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: coparker5 | June 18, 2010 6:24 PM

Barring the unexpected, we're going into this season with the guys we've got. McNeill isn't going anywhere and all indications are that Gaither is a smaller scale version of Haynesworth (low work ethic). Plus it would be sheer lunacy to take Trent Williams at #4 overall and play him at RT. That would be like drafting a beast DE like Brian Orakpo and promptly playing him at SLB.

Oh wait...

I will say that I'd be interested in kicking Mawae's tires...he may or may not be an upgrade over Rabach in this point of his career, but I do think that having Mawae at center and Rabach at guard could be better than Rabach at center and Dockery/MW at guard. I've heard rumblings that Mawae can't pass block anymore, so that could be why he's still available in June--and rather problematic for us if that's even remotely true.

But like I said...get used to the guys we've got because that's likely what we'll be working with for 2010.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 18, 2010 6:45 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe I defended this guy the whole time until he didn't show up a couple days ago. REDICULOUS!

I understand his displeasure with the system and how it will affect his play, but this is not the way to handle it. Show up and see how it goes. If you really hate it, then announce your displeasure privately and seek a trade while playing at 100% to up your value while that happens. What you CAN'T do is get that huge of a bonus and not even show up to try out the new D. Its not your typical 3-4 and he CAN succeed in it. Of course, it would be best if he just shut his mouth and did exactly what he;s told while we make him the highest paid DT of all time, but at the very least he could have done what I suggested above. I can't believe he's done this. All the love I gained for him ever since he stomped on that Cowboys face way back is eroding. I am officially calling him Fat Albert now.

Posted by: bosshog7169 | June 18, 2010 6:51 PM | Report abuse

I'm open to all possibilities here, but assuming we don't get a decent trade offer, and aren't willing to let him go for peanuts, and assuming Fat Al Haynesworthless shows up for training camp so as not to jeopardize losing more of his gold, what's to stop Shanahan from making practices a living hell for the guy? I.e. "Fat Al, get your ass over there - we're running O Linemen drills practicing Guard & Tackle double teams on D-Linemen. You're playing the D-Lineman. Again. Today, tomorrow, and for the rest of camp. Oh, and the Gatorade tubs need to be re-filled again, so get on it!"

Seriously, anyone know if there's leverage to make him do whatever we "need" him to do in camp, what happens if he shows up and just sits his fat a$$ on the sidelines? Is showing up enough, or can we fine him more if he doesn't "participate"? If he has to follow directions in order to be in compliance, I say why not punish him w/ our own motivated, pi$$ed-off O-linemen, and 2-on-FatAl drills from July 'til the season starts, and in all in-season practices, sit his worthless a$$ on the bench for all games in the remainder of his contract, or until some team gets desperate enough to give us real value (I'd say @ LEAST a 1st and a 2nd) for him.

Posted by: hogmeister | June 18, 2010 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Even if AH were a model citizen, nobody's giving up a 1st rounder for the guy...he's 29 and can't play a 16 game season. Just imagine how worthless he'll be once he crosses 30...

If we get a 3rd for him I grab it and skip away laughing before the sucker team that gives it up realizes what they just did. The reality is, this situation has tainted what little trade value he had to begin with. If we get ANYTHING for him, the Skins just have to take it because as of now, it looks like an outright release is the most realistic outcome.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 18, 2010 6:58 PM | Report abuse

put rabach at guard?..he can't even play his so-called center position if he could not block his man at center what makes anyone think he will block at guard. rabach should have been released when they let go of randle el and others.

Posted by: wathu19 | June 18, 2010 7:04 PM | Report abuse

FINE AH92 AND MAKE HIM INACTIVE ON GAME DAY UNTIL HE PAYS BACK 21 MIL AND HIS AGENT GETS US A 2ND FOR HIM - NO MATTER HOW LONG IT TAKES WHILE WE HAVE THIS FAT SLOB UNDER CONTRACT!

Posted by: artsnsportz | June 18, 2010 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Know what's missing from all this? The answer to the question about how working out on his own has been going. I would love to know what kind of football shape he is in at this point in the offseason. Trade, sit, play, good faith vs. bad faith (actually that one seems pretty much settled), it seems the answer to that question would impact the others.

Posted by: bleedburgundy1 | June 18, 2010 7:23 PM | Report abuse

By the way, cosign on Kaasmaster re: Mawae recognizing this as a problem in the upcoming NFLPA negotiations. Which means the owners recognize it and will be encouragin Danny to take a hard line. And he will - he's the same guy that sent 5 gallon barrels of vanilla ice cream to the bench for Mike Nolan. He's got to be livid. Little chance the FO will take whatever they can get and cut their losses.

Posted by: bleedburgundy1 | June 18, 2010 7:41 PM | Report abuse

give us real value (I'd say @ LEAST a 1st and a 2nd) for him.

Posted by: hogmeister | June 18, 2010 6:53 PM

Amended: Okay, that's admittedly unrealistic. How 'bout a 3rd and a reeeeeeally good ham sandwhich?

@ BleedB, I've seen posts here both that he's been training and is in good shape, and also that he's been doing not much more than sitting poolside sippin' on... (gin and juice?)

Laid back "...with my mind on my money and my money on my mind..."

Posted by: hogmeister | June 18, 2010 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wathu19 | June 18, 2010 7:04 PM

You gotta be kidding me with this...Rabach was one of the few reasons we didn't just punt on first down last year...or even forfeit games outright.

Dude played center and both guard spots as a Raven and that was part of the attraction Gibbs had to him when he was a FA. He'll play center fine, he'll play guard fine, and he's a great locker room guy (which is worth noting while AH is getting top dollar to be more dominant as a topic of discussion than as a player). He's certainly on the downside of his career, but like it or not he's probably the best lineman we have at this point...and quite frankly, we could certainly do a lot worse than Rabach in 2010.

He'll get replaced in due time. But there are at least a half dozen other lineman on the roster more worthy of your snide remarks.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 18, 2010 7:46 PM | Report abuse

This primarily for scottcampbell, but thought others might get a chuckle:

160 years ago

Do you know what happened 160 years ago this fall back in 1850?

California became a state.

The people had no electricity.
The state had no money.
Almost everyone spoke Spanish.
There were gunfights in the streets.

So basically nothing has changed except the women had real breasts and the men didn't hold hands.

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | June 18, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Hey Monkeymayonaise, I've been using the "pulling a Hanesworth" since yesterday. here's an excerpt from my post from last night again
-------------------------

Posted by: kaasmaster | June 17, 2010 11:18 PM
--------------------------

Posted by: kaasmaster | June 18, 2010 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hogmeister
Fat Albert would eat the sandwich before you ever saw it.

Posted by: kaasmaster | June 18, 2010 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Carlos Rogers was seen around Redskin Park eating furiously. Tray after tray of food was put before him and he was gobbling it up without hesitation.

"Whatchu doin'?" said Clinton Portis in a more articulate moment.

"I'm eatin my way to Nose Tackle. Gonna makes me some serious money - just like Fats did!" responded Rogers as he shoveled another three sandwiches into his mouth in between gulps of soda from a 48 ounce plastic cup.

"U so stupid. U gotz no chance," chortled Portis as he was smiling like the Cheshire Cat. "You might be able to eat like Fats and then you might be able to play nose tackle, butz you gotz to learn to catch so you can steal a check like Fats!"

Posted by: laserwizard | June 18, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Imagine the mess that will happen with the Redskins should Fat Arse actually show up for training camp! He won't forfeit any money but he'll be there as a distraction for every player. Imagine seeing him sitting doing nothing but counting his $31 million (assuming counts above 5 have been mastered in his off season workout routine).

There will likely be very vocal fights with Fat Arse from some of the 'skins and this will derail the season.

But then again, if you want to make a point with him, bar him from the camp and let him sit at home.

Doesn't sound promising.

Posted by: laserwizard | June 18, 2010 9:39 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: RomoLongballs | June 18, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Fast Eddie's Pre-Owned Sale

Step right up here, friend! Come and check out these bargains! Many of these were driven by little old ladies and others never worked a day in their lives. They're gentle-ly used!

Check out this beauty. Former community organizer. Never worked a day in his life making an honest living. Gets promoted by stepping on a woman for no good reason. Wins a Senate seat cause his opponent is a carpet bagger. Wins a Presidency cause his opponent was a pencil holder. Never has run anything but likes to have fun. Get him while he still has any value - could be worthless in a year.

Or, how 'bout this beaut! Big football player. Likes to hit and stomp on people's head. Real nasty. Has the ability to outflop all of the Los Angeles Lakers combined. Plays every other down and has the ability to take other people's money with a straight face. This player has a few years under his belt but since he plays hard so few downs, he is a bargain. Don't pay any attention to the fact that his teammates think he's scum and the other players around the league are one by one reaching the same conclusion.

Special of the day. Buy these two beauts as a buy one and get one free. No warranty. None of them show enough effort or ability to carry any guarantee of success.

Posted by: laserwizard | June 18, 2010 9:57 PM | Report abuse

What we know:
1. The guy is not only a cancer to his team, but to himself (see domestic issues).
2. The guy has an over-sized ego driven by his personal performance on the field (I want more sack opportunities..wah, wah, wah. I want to be the next Reggie White, etc) and the ridiculous salary he's been given.
3. The Redskins have the ability to suspend him and/or deactivate him.

I realize it's a bit Machiavellian, but based on my experience following the Broncos, I wouldn't be surprised if Shanahan uses this situation as a teaching/warning opportunity. He'll sit this guy and show everyone what happens when you cross Shanahan. Based on "what we know", there is a good chance that taking football away from this guy will speed up his journey to where he was always going, the land of Michael Vick, Mike Tyson, Kenny Anderson, Jason Williams, and every other jackass athlete who doesn't realize these paydays are finite. While as a rabid Redskins fan this whole situation frustrates me, I take comfort in the fact that it's just a matter of time before I have the pleasure of reading an article about this athletes downfall in this same space. Serenity now.

Posted by: bonzi771 | June 18, 2010 10:16 PM | Report abuse

I dunno, in an uncapped year I was hoping for a better constructed o-line going to training camp. That right side of Rabach, Williams, and Hicks doesn't inspire much confidence.

Posted by: coparker5 | June 18, 2010 11:31 PM | Report abuse

i've "watched" as much soccer over the last week as i've ever watched.

why is offsides a penalty?

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | June 18, 2010 11:57 PM | Report abuse

@craig81

I think you're giving $nyder to much credit here. The Redskins are doing what any team in the NFL would do under the circumstances. The rest of the league just shook their heads as $nyder pulled another blunder and made this deal.

Posted by: hessone | June 19, 2010 8:46 AM | Report abuse

4thFloor: I hope Haynesworth enjoys NEVER playing again... AS you said, little if any money can be recovered unless #92 himself cuts a check. BUT, since the money IS gone, The Redskins can play some serious revenge-ball by making him inactive EVERY game for the rest of his contract length with the team. So let's see what wins out, his ego to play again, or his greed to take the money and end his career. NOBODY's gonna want him 5 years down the road if he hasn't played that long.

Posted by: wagenstill | June 19, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

If I were the Skins at this point I deal with the bad contract like this: dude shows up at training camp, Shanny walks over and shakes Fat Al's paw, and says congrats, you are the full time starting Nose Tackle.

Then when he whines about the team promising to move him around the line in the 3-4, Shanny tells him, "sure, and you promised to be a dominant lineman when you signed that 100 mil deal. Looks like we are both good at backing out of our word. Now get on the line, tie up some linemen so my LB's can make plays!"

Posted by: TXSkinFan | June 19, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

It's simple, Redskins play with a 52 man roster (AH is 53), but, he will never be on the 45 man game day roster until every one of the coaches, every one of the players, and public opinion of those that ultimately are the source of his income agree that he has a changed attitude and deserves another chance.

He wants to act the way he does fine, the Redskins lose that money, but, they can see he never plays another down of football in the NFL ever again until his contract expires.

That would be the right thing to do, also, make him an example for everybody else who might try to act that way. Although, you think the TO Philadelphia incident would have been enough, where, TO loses half a season of his career in his prime.

Posted by: jds4 | June 21, 2010 7:41 AM | Report abuse