Shanahan says he would defend Haynesworth block to NFL

Coach Mike Shanahan said Thursday that he would lobby on behalf of defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth if the NFL fines Haynesworth for upending Chicago offensive tackle J'Marcus Webb in Washington's Week 7 victory.

During DeAngelo Hall's 92-yard interception return late in the third quarter of the 17-14 win, Webb, who was about 11 yards behind Hall, was knocked to the ground by Haynesworth's block. Some in the media have speculated that Haynesworth could be fined for his actions. After the game, Shanahan praised Haynesworth for hustling on the play, and said Thursday he would support Haynesworth if the league takes disciplinary action against the two-time all-pro player.

"Well, I liked the effort. I'm not sure what the NFL is gonna do," Shanahan said. "I haven't really seen the hit, to be honest with you. I saw the block. I didn't see the TV copy to see if it was helmet to helmet. The angle I had did not show that. If it is [helmet to helmet], I've got to get the TV copy on it."

With heightened concerns about concussions, and the NFL taking a more aggressive stance in enforcing hitting rules, it may be interpreted that Haynesworth should be fined, Shanahan said.

"Well, what they do, they determine how close they [the players in pursuit of the ball] were. Did they have a chance to make a play?" Shanahan said. "If a guy's 25 yards back, and a guy kills somebody, they say, 'Hey, that's a cheap shot.' If he's got a chance to catch 'em, if he's within 10 yards, maybe it's 12 yards, they [league officials] determine if he had a legitimate chance to make a play."

Shanahan said he would have to review the play to determine Webb's distance from Hall. Informed that there appeared to be 11 yards separating Webb and Hall, Shanahan said, "It's their [league officials'] opinion."

Again, Shanahan applauded Haynesworth's effort. "I loved the effort. I loved the effort," he said. "We get everybody working downfield like that, you got a chance for good things to happen."

Shanahan is prepared to defend Haynesworth with the league. "A lot of times, I've gone to bat for players in those situations and determine what's in the best interests, if you've got a chance to win it or if you don't," he said. "I've got to look at it first. And if it is, we'll determine it. I've done that before. I've won. I've lost. So you never know."

By Jason Reid  | October 28, 2010; 4:42 PM ET
Categories:  Albert Haynesworth
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jammal Brown practicing through the pain
Next: Jim Haslett adapts the defense to Albert Haynesworth

Comments

so wheres the video? =/

Posted by: trousers | October 28, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Look, Beantowngreg, shanny doesn't watch the games either!

Posted by: RomoLongballs | October 28, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

No chance you can defend the hit on grounds that the guy could've made a play...we're talking an OT 11 yards behind a CB. Not saying he should be fined, but defense on those grounds soudns weak. I'm just glad that 92 seems to be motivated.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 28, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

I sure hope everybody is voting for the one man gang to the probowl.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 28, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

That's why they tell you to keep your head on a swivel.

Posted by: freakzilla | October 28, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Am I delirious, or is this the fourth Haney post today?

Maybe they should just change the name to Haynesworth Insider, and get it over with.

Posted by: NYPDee | October 28, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

I watched the hit on my DVR after watching M Lombardi question it on Inside the NFL.

It was not helmet to helmet his forearm did go into his chest not the head. It was clean all the way! If they fine him things are really getting out of control in this league. As if they haven't already.

Posted by: skins91r | October 28, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skins91r | October 28, 2010 5:41 PM
----------------------------------------
You're right...Jarmon was fined for what was essentially a chest bump on Aaron Rodgers...sh!ts out of control

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 28, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

He did what the hell he was suppose to.. play football! Now NFL do what the f--- you're suppose to.. NOTHING!

Posted by: iubiquity | October 28, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Shanny is extending his support for AH as much as a coach can do.

AH needs to return the favor with great effort!

Posted by: SeedofChange | October 29, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

If the player is truly "out of the play" he should stop running and take a knee. He was running after D. Hall - who may have had to cut to avoid another player, or who may have stumbled - in an attempt to make the tackle.

Ridiculous.

Posted by: qwerty6899 | October 29, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

If Shanny gets AH to feel like he's got his back great things will happen. UNLEASH THE HOUNDS!!!!

Posted by: mustang_johnny1 | October 29, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

This game gives me the willies (like every game so far this season). Stafford and Best returing to the game; I don't like it. Playing on field turf and before a bye ... I don't like that either b/c it sounds like a recipe for injuries. What I do like is the idea of Haynesworth getting on the field in obvious passing downs and getting up into Stafford early.

I also like Fletcher, the man, the myth, the legend. RSH: from a few threads back ... Fletcher is better in coverage than McIntosh.

Posted by: dcsween | October 29, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse