Sources: Albert Haynesworth plans to play Saturday vs. Ravens

Defensive lineman Albert Haynesworth, who sat out practice recently because of problems stemming from heat exhaustion, plans to play in the upcoming preseason game, people familiar with the situation said Friday.

Haynesworth was sidelined the last three days of training camp because he was feeling ill. But the two-time Pro Bowler was feeling better Friday, team sources said, and probably will play in the second half Saturday against the Baltimore Ravens at FedEx Field.

Haynesworth, currently the team's second-team nose tackle, also is expected to work at right defensive end against Baltimore. The lone defensive lineman in Washington's "fast-nickel" package, Haynesworth is becoming more comfortable in the Redskins' overall defensive scheme, the sources said.

The nine-year veteran is making progress toward joining the first-team defense for the season opener Sept. 12 against the NFC East rival Dallas Cowboys at FedEx.

By Jason Reid  |  August 20, 2010; 12:00 PM ET
Categories:  3-4 defense , Albert Haynesworth
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Coach, players welcome regular practice routine
Next: Donovan McNabb, Chris Cooley developing rapport

Comments

paycheck player... just wants to collect that check... doesn't want to put the time into be great... paycheck player... fat albert is a waste...

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | August 20, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

first, good job al its good 4 u

Posted by: redskinsfan01 | August 20, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

"Sources: Albert Haynesworth plans to play Saturday vs. Ravens
"

F Sources...What does Shanahan have to say? Cuz he is the only one that matters....Not the little boy who washes jock straps for a living...

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 20, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Found a bar for you Scamp. Not sure if they're showing preseason games and I've never been myself. But let me know what you think.

Posted by: mack1 | August 20, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

I actually don't have a problem w/ BenchWorth coming in with the second team all season...

Can you imagine the headaches for opposing teams if they have to face a fresh Fat Albert in the second half?

That's pretty evol. Not worth the ducets, but still...

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 20, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

hey hey hey. I hate practicing but I want to play!

Posted by: vawoodworker84 | August 20, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Put that fat piece of trash on IR. He makes me sick. I don't care if he makes a couple plays here and there. He shouldn't be allowed to play if he doesn't practice. Selfish; we dont need that.

Posted by: Salinas1 | August 20, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Brandon, can you help Scamp out w/ a place to watch the game in the OC?

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 20, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

What a f'in joke that Haynesworth is on the 2nd string of a 4-12 team. It's even a bigger joke that people are buying it like ooooooooh Tanahan's such a tough guy. Oooooh.

And, Devin Thomas is third string, ah hahahaha. People are buying this crud. Amazing

and all these DNPs from last year

this new system seemed to focus on Portis and Cooley that very innovative and unexpected

Posted by: pabrian2003 | August 20, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

f. ????

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 20, 2010 12:02 PM

That was my jersey number in high school.

Posted by: dcsween | August 20, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

To all the Albert haters ... I repeat my brazen ... that Haynesworth plays at least 40 snaps during Week One, with a least one sack or forced fumble.

Earlier, I was taking money. Now the amount is also set ... a fast nickel.

Posted by: dcsween | August 20, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Hes lazy but not a playcheck player because players dont get checks for pre season games.

Posted by: zjenks | August 20, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

I have always subscribed to the philosophy that you build a winning NFL team from the inside out....not the other way around.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 20, 2010 11:55 AM

And how many NFL teams have you GM'd? Not including Madden Franchise......

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 20, 2010 12:01 PM |

Dude, don't be a dumb spear-chucker. You know exactly what I meant you loser.

I'm not a pilot either but I know a crappy landing when I feel one, ya dig?

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 20, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

hey hey hey. I hate practicing but I want to play!

Posted by: vawoodworker84

Heyba Fatba Albertba,thatba aintba fairba,weba gotba to practiceba andba youba dontba.

Posted by: smittdiddy | August 20, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Yeah that should kick everyone who's a jerk out of the NFL then it would be more entertaining

we should cut Portis cause he didn't practice just like we did that pesky non-practicing John riggins.

And anyone with legal troubles and bad attitudes are gone haynesworth, Davis, kelly, cut em all just like we did that loser Dexter manly

byahhhhh!

Posted by: pabrian2003 | August 20, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

hey hey hey. I hate practicing but I want to play!

Posted by: vawoodworker84 | August 20, 2010 12:17 PM |

Nice!

If/When Shamesworth gets a sack, I want to hear "Heeey, Heey Heeyyyyy" ovver the stadium speakers.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 20, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

"Working his way to the first team". How, sitting on his fatalbert? This is denigrating to the players who actually work and try and ..... Screw Fat Albert - sit him Mr. "No practice, no play" Shanny.

Posted by: KDSmallJr | August 20, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Dude, don't be a dumb spear-chucker. You know exactly what I meant you loser.

I'm not a pilot either but I know a crappy landing when I feel one, ya dig?

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 20, 2010 12:28 PM

And where did I offend you to the point you have to call me names....

This is why you don't let Homosexuals into sports blogs....to much catfighting....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 20, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

byahhhhh!

Posted by: pabrian2003 | August 20, 2010 12:30 PM |

Playoff wins (as much as any team in that era), division titles and SB appearances AND victories are a hell of a deodorant....dontcha think??

There goes your theory Norman Einstein.

The aforementioned putzs are still putzes. Winners get a pass.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 20, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

THEYYYYY TOOK OUR JOBS!!!!!

Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 20, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

If we cut every D lineman that played less than Haynesworth last year Carter would be the only one left and he's a freakish athlete.

Haynesworth played the second most snaps of any redskin d lineman despite being injured part of the year. And people are CRYINg about his conditioning, etc.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | August 20, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

"You're a freaking tool and you don't even realize how retarded you look in here do you?

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 20, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse"

If this isn't the pot calling the kettle black, then I don't know what is.

Posted by: psps23 | August 20, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

4th floor is a faig.

He sucks homeless nikkas' dongs 'fo a living.

His mother gave Peter-puffer-Built the herpes and he lives in a shanty.

BOOK THAT.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 20, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Anyone? Anyone? Redskins bars in southern Orange County? Anyone?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 20, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Theres one in Rancho Santa Margarita
where alot of Skins fans congregate, or Clssic Q in Newport where just a few go

Posted by: ocskins | August 20, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Training camp ends and, miraculously, your boy Haynesworth throws off his illness and expects to play. Look, ma! I can play without practicing!

Haynesworth is a joke and so is "the new sheriff in town". This is why Cowboys fans gladly take your money every year and make you fly Cowboys flags at your crib. Soft camps, soft teams.

Posted by: dallasinthedmv | August 20, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

No-punt, no shti.

So it's portis and haynesworth fault that we suck, or snyder cerrato

have some priciples

Posted by: pabrian2003 | August 20, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Hey dallasinthedmv. Please share your cogent analysis of your offensive line vs. Washington's, could you?

How is the Romosexual going to be able to get the ball away when Fat Albert is sitting (and hopefully farting) on his face?

Please be specific. Thank you.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 20, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: smittdiddy | August 20, 2010 12:28 PM |

Talk about Fat Albert all you want but leave Mushmouth alone, punk!

Posted by: harrybalz | August 20, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

"Posted by: dallasinthedmv | August 20, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse"

No, no, no (shaking head) Dallas is in Texas, dummy.

I mean I know they teach intelligent design as a scientific fact down there, but at the very least you'd have thought they could instill proper geographical lessons in their curriculum.

Sad times. I feel for you Cowboys fans, I really do.

Posted by: psps23 | August 20, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Look here Dallas Dept of Motor Vehicles or whatever your name is,shouldn't you be on Craigslist looking for offensive linemen?

Posted by: smittdiddy | August 20, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

That's right mor ons when your as good as haynesworth you call the shots that's how it is that's how it always has been

why do people insist on this holier than thou attitude

this is football it's a bunch a mean thugs trying to hurt each other for millions of dollars and we support it

stop pretending like your so great and these guys aren't as good as you and just be a fan

Posted by: pabrian2003 | August 20, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Sorry scamp I got nowhere for ya man. I'm out here in pasadena, I could recommend a few places but not gonna find a lot of skins fans. Mostly bandwagoners, so whoevers good. Steelers cowboys saints now. All the blowers. I'm gettin direct tv by week 2.

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | August 20, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

No-punt, no shti.

So it's portis and haynesworth fault that we suck, or snyder cerrato

have some priciples

Posted by: pabrian2003 | August 20, 2010 12:41 PM |

You're missing your own point. It's not the fault of the belly-aching, wussy, non-practicing 'jigs that we suck - it's that we actually suck which is why their belly-aching, wussy, non-practicing BS is magnified.

When you win playoff games, divisions and Super Bowls, no one cares about Riggo (HOF'er btw) or Dex (future HOF'er) or anyone else. Rypen held out the year the 'Skins won their last SB but who cares, we won the SB.

Are you getting that? I know people in PA are a tad slow on the uptake. I'll type slower for you Brian, lol.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 20, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

4th floor is a faig.

He sucks homeless nikkas' dongs 'fo a living.

His mother gave Peter-puffer-Built the herpes and he lives in a shanty.

BOOK THAT.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 20, 2010 12:38 PM

Wow! Thanks for the laugh! That actually woke me up out of my slumber....

I don't know what you got against me or why you even choose to pick on me, but best believe whatever you are trying to accomplish ain't happening.....

I mean you're come back was weak. whack. And far from all that. I'm willing to let bygones be bygones because I don't really play these kind of games.

But if you want to continue to try to get my attention like you wanna be my boyfriend or something, I might have stab your a$$ up like they did in American Me......

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 20, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: smittdiddy | August 20, 2010 12:48 PM |

HAHAHA, that made me laugh so hard I blew an unintentional heater into my fine, leather chair. Good one.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 20, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

He's playing to play

Yeah?

Is Shanny planning on him playing? Is Haslett co-signing?

See, it don't matter what Gravy Sweat says...it matters what Shanny says. He can plan all he wants; it's the PREPARATION that matters and you no practice, you no PLAY.

Now, if Shanny wants to lose some Face, then he lets this farce continue...

Posted by: kahlua87 | August 20, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

why do people insist on this holier than thou attitude
Posted by: pabrian2003 | August 20, 2010 12:49 PM

Co sign, sort of.
Jim Brown didn’t like to practice and REFUSED to block when he didn’t have the ball. Flat out refused to. If this was the sixities and we were Browns fans, a bunch of the whinybabies up here would have been yelling that the Browns should have cut his lazy, no blocking, wife beating butt….but Paul Brown, possibly the biggest disciplinarian/dick of a head coach in the history of the league played him anyway. Wonder why?

Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 20, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 20, 2010 12:55 PM |

You watched that movie over and over for the prison rape scenes. It's okay, this is the 21st century and there's a 'brotha in the White House. Things are different. You can come out of the closet now.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 20, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

No punt, first of all fa-q for your racial slurs even if your af-amer.

And b, my point is all these haters are cry-baby hipocrites, you included.

The modern athlete is what it is, if you suck and you don't work hard you're gone, if your good that's another story, any sport

the fans, us, support these prima donnas by watching

so stop crying about it an go find a job, and be mediocre at it, and resent everyone who is good an makes more money than you.

This is earth, nothing is right and everything is true

you thin we'd be better without haynesworth? If you do your not paying attention to the actual football, your just a sheep

Posted by: pabrian2003 | August 20, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

And Jim brown quit to be an actor, because Paul brown didn't think he could do both. Paul brown later admitted he should have let him play.

sidebar, Jim brown also cosidered the best lacrosse player to ever play

Posted by: pabrian2003 | August 20, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

hey hey hey. I hate practicing but I want to play!

Posted by: vawoodworker84

Very good, but it should be: "Hey, hey, hey, I hates to practice but ah wants to play.:

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | August 20, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Beeps

Posted by: wireman65 | August 20, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

We take your money and make you fly Cowboys flags on your car and your crib! Why? Because you're hopeful LOSERS!

Those of you sticking your chest out because we've had a few injuries on our offensive line need to consider this - the Redskins' defensive line sucks ballz. There's nobody on your d-line who scares us! That's why injuries are no biggie for the opener. Offensively, who on your offensive line would start for the Cowbloys even in our depleted state:

Rook Williams? Nope
Hook'em Hicks? Nope.
Pushed-Back Rabach? Nope.
Dopey Dockery? Nope.
Bad-Hip Brown? Nope.
Reject Heyer? Please.

Somebody clearly spiked the burgundy and gold Kool-Aid with some Bacardi 151 to get Redskins "fanz" talking foolish garbage. Save some for 9/12. You'll need it, dummies.

Posted by: dallasinthedmv | August 20, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Haynesworth bought in but lost so much weight he can't play lol the irony......

I mean stupidity, referring to bug eyes

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | August 20, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

"people familiar with the situation said"
----------------------------------

Man, I come back from lunch with a full stomach and two strong Captain n Cokes in and I see this sh!t. Reid, do you have any self respect, or did you waste your quota for the decade on Milton Bradley? This is pathetic. Quote some real sources for once.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 20, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Facts that Really aren't real facts:

There is a 'Brotha' in the White House.

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 20, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

@ kahlua87

"He can plan all he wants; it's the PREPARATION that matters and you no practice, you no PLAY.

Now, if Shanny wants to lose some Face, then he lets this farce continue..."

Actually, Shanny stated either yesterday or Wednesday. That Albert would play Saturday, if he was able to practice on Friday. So, if Albert practiced today, then Shanny would not lose face, when Albert plays tomorrow.

Posted by: dbailey211 | August 20, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

There are a bunch of poor sports up here complaining about the sportsmanship of the players they root for.

A bunch of slackers doing this at work complaining about the work ethic of the players

it figures that this hipocracy is rooted in DC

Posted by: pabrian2003 | August 20, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

it figures that this hipocracy is rooted in DC

Posted by: pabrian2003

Pabrian needs to wash his vag'na. It is really stupid to attack DC as being hypocritical, like fans elsewhere don't attack their players (ie philly). It is our right to jump on this dude because of all the nonsense we have had to endure from him; if you love him so much, go s'ck his d'ck.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | August 20, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Facts that Really aren't real facts:

There is a 'Brotha' in the White House.

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 20, 2010 1:10 PM |

Well then that's ANOTHER thing dude straight up lied about.

Barry is on record as checking 'Black' on his census form. Look that up in the WaPo.

I guess you're wrong again and as per usual.

Shocker.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 20, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

It's amazing how tough you bad a$$es are behind these blogs. I happen to know where AH hangs out some time for relaxation. If I tell you would you go and say these things to his face? I didn't think so.

Chicken Sh@t punks.

Posted by: stanmose | August 20, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

We already know where Albert relaxes: practice!

Posted by: ahwyatt | August 20, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

stanmose,

If you held Haynesworth's nutsack any tighter, you'd sever them from his body. Give it a rest, dude!

Posted by: ahwyatt | August 20, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

The only thing fat albert will play is the all-you-can-eat pizza buffet. I can't believe he misses at least 2 days after getting heat exhaustion from a 20 minute practice. Just how out of shape is this loser?

Posted by: SorrySkins | August 20, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Cut this wasted load. No practice, no play. This guy is a slackers.....HAYNESWORTH.....YOU'RE FIRED!!!!!!!!

Posted by: raca1234 | August 20, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

I was planning on commenting on this topic, but my tummy hurts.

Posted by: clandestinetomcat | August 20, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

"i was planning on commenting on this topic, but my pancakes went rogue."

Posted by: RoguePancakes | August 20, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

I just hate to be a stickler for facts but ...

pabrian2003 posted:

"Haynesworth played the second most snaps of any redskin d lineman despite being injured part of the year."

You wouldn't happen to have the stats to back that up would you? Oh, and don't be making them up ... tell us where you got them.

Posted by: topwriter | August 20, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Oh good, I'm glad to hear that he "plans" to try and earn some of that green.

Posted by: ozpunk | August 20, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

I must learn not to take HALF of this print literally because it is ALWAYS wrong!
I am going to stop reading the "assumption" press in the middle of the week i.e. AH92 LIKELY won't play this Saurday against the Ravens. If you multiple this trash by 53 players over a season, that's a lot of wasted time readng wrong print! The other articles all week that don't make ASSUMPTIONS, I will continue to read.

Posted by: artsnsportz | August 20, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

let the bum play....somewhere in the CFL.
the real players on this team should refuse to play if this idiot does. what does it say to all those who went to the off season workouts, the 2 a days,...everything. a slap in the face.
He is a disgrace to the redskins and their great history.
hope that in the first game, that Marion Barber puts his foot, squarely between Haynesworth's eyeballs.

Posted by: scholls3 | August 20, 2010 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Move Al to the practice squad the Skins have to many players who WANT to play. Wish we could pay him the practice squad minimum. He has become a joke all around the NFL

Posted by: southportwave | August 20, 2010 5:59 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad Big Al tells Mike when he will play. Looks like Danny hired another Zorn.
Now as far as what the deadskins are going to do to Dallas - Do you really thing you will even score again this year against anyone. I hear Detroit already had a "Win" posted when they play you.

Posted by: LarryinMD | August 20, 2010 9:04 PM | Report abuse

LarryinMD = Cowboy ball licker!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | August 20, 2010 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Was he able to make it all the way through the walk-through?

Posted by: jburnetti | August 20, 2010 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Hey Posters...I read this blog because I'm a diehard Skins fan and have been since 1978...I like the updates and I like to read what other fans think about the team and developments...BUT - TOO MANY of you in here are cyber gangster immature idiots...just saying. How about talking football and stopping all the hatin' on each other. I may want to have a beer with one of you in the parking lot or a high five in the stands...and I'd hate to find out when I do that you are one of the offensive punks from in here ruining this blog for all of us REAL FANS

Posted by: scottmando | August 20, 2010 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Haynesworth is a slug. He's just another pussy who can't take the pressure. I hope Mike turns him into a slave. I'd run his fat ass 24/7 till the season ends. That fat prick would hate life and if he doesn't practice then he doesn't play. Make him finish out his career on the bench. When this contract runs out he'll never get back on the field again. He's another TO, set his black ass on the pine and let him rrrrriiiiiddddddddeeeeeeeeeeee

Posted by: MrBinx | August 21, 2010 12:10 AM | Report abuse

Haynesworth is a slug. He's just another pussy who can't take the pressure. I hope Mike turns him into a slave. I'd run his fat ass 24/7 till the season ends. That fat prick would hate life and if he doesn't practice then he doesn't play. Make him finish out his career on the bench. When this contract runs out he'll never get back on the field again. He's another TO, set his ass on the pine and let him rrrrriiiiiddddddddeeeeeeeeeeee

Posted by: MrBinx | August 21, 2010 12:11 AM | Report abuse

Wouldn't it be nice if Big Boy didn't play with the coaches blessing, to nip the nonsense in the bud. Its that easy--The TEAM headcoach just say, I think its better for Al and the team if he doesn't pressure the injury, we need him for bigger things. That's the right winning TEAM thought process. That is why we lose, the thinking starts at the top.

Posted by: CTaylor42 | August 21, 2010 3:31 AM | Report abuse

whatever you say about big Al (for or against) the truth is that he probably made more in 1 day (when they handed him 20 mil) then all the naysayers on this specific blog make in 1 year (maybe 10 years)!!! so as much as you may think your negative words may be depleted the mans morale (or bank acct.)...all you blog-ites are really doing is getting each other all hot and bothered...tru-dat!

Posted by: ronniecope106 | August 21, 2010 7:20 AM | Report abuse

As much as I know this statement is gonna be chopped up by the bloggers on here...the truth is that whatever is written in reply to what I am about to write will not change this cold hard statement/fact: America's Worst Nightmare- A Big, Bad, Black Man with millions of dollars! OK blog-ites...dinner is served!!

Posted by: ronniecope106 | August 21, 2010 7:32 AM | Report abuse

Albert actually missed an assignment during his 4th or 5th play last week that resulted in a run by the Buffalo Bills for almost 15 yards. The commentators said that he took an inside aggressive route instead of staying in his slot from the end position and the runner just took it to the outside and broke free. It is plays like this that the coaches will be looking at in the subsequent games and will finally wake Albert up on the importance of practice and learning to play his new position. However, if he is really that good, then maybe he will never make a mistake on the field, but I really doubt that! Hopefully he will make enough plays to attract a trade partner before the actual season.

Posted by: JohnWWW | August 21, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Sure sounds like they didn't practice him because there is a trade in the works and didn't want an injury to kill the deal..
What would I like to see?
Rogers, Haynesworth and Kelly to the Jets for Revis...

Posted by: Dkessler1 | August 21, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

A certain QB for the Vikings hates OTAs and preseaason games also. I never hear anyone suggest that the whole team boycott his antics. I wonder why?

Posted by: SPUD2 | August 21, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse