Teammates eagerly await Haynesworth

Pro Bowl defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth has missed all but one day of Washington's voluntary off-season program, but he is expected to report to the team's mandatory minicamp next week.

His teammates eagerly await his arrival.

"I can't wait. I can't wait," cornerback DeAngelo Hall said Thursday afternoon after an organized team activity at Redskins Park. "I've been talking to him back and forth, texting him, we've been in communication that whole time. It'll definitely be good to see his face around here, get him to kind of see what's going on, and get him to come out here and play some football with us."

Frustrated about the coaching staff's plan to use him as a nose guard in the team's new 3-4 scheme, Haynesworth has stayed away from the complex since attending the introductory portion of Coach Mike Shanahan's first off-season program.

"He wants to win, too," defensive lineman Phillip Daniels said of Haynesworth. "But he's probably disappointed that he's going to have to play a 3-4 and he doesn't want to play any 3-4. I'm pretty sure when he gets in here, he'll be ready to go."

Haynesworth hoped to be traded during the three-day April draft, but the Redskins did not receive what they wanted in exchange for the two-time all-pro. The Redskins can fine Haynesworth if he does not report to mandatory team events.

"It is what it is," Hall said. "Any time you've got a high-profile player like him who's not here, it's going to be some speculation to this and that...At the end of the day, he's going to be here when he has to. That'll be at this minicamp. He'll start to get in that book and learn what's going on and see how guys have already bought into it. When you've got guys like me and Fletch [middle linebacker London Fletcher] on your back to get it done, he'll get it done."

Haynesworth, however, will have some catching up to do, many in the organization said.

"It'll be a lot of work for him to come in here and learn the system," Coach Mike Shanahan said Thursday. "We've got three days to try to catch him up. Hopefully, he's in shape, and we'll utilize the three days to catch him up as best we can."

The scheme Washington will use under coordinator Jim Haslett is more complicated than the team's 4-3 approach the past two seasons. Players intently studied the new playbook during the first two voluntary minicamps and four sessions of OTAs.

"I'll do whatever I can to help him out," Daniels said. "I'll try to get him to where he needs to be. Hopefully, he'll fit in and we can do some good things this year. I think it'll be good to have him back.

"When he gets in here and sees the guys, and what the guys are doing and how well the guys have matured and worked this year, I think he'll come and I think he'll do the same thing.

The key is for Haynesworth to finally show up, players said.

"If we can get here and he can see what's going on, he'll be all right, he'll buy into it," Hall said. "But at the end of the day, he's his own person. We could get him here and tell him everything under the sun, and he still might not like it. At the end of the day, he has to be here. I mean, he's going to be here. He's going to be here or he's going to be fined. That's the point of a mandatory camp."

By Jason Reid  |  June 10, 2010; 2:35 PM ET
Categories:  3-4 defense , Albert Haynesworth , offseason workouts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A few notable absences at Redskins' practice
Next: Shanahan, Redskins wrap up OTAs

Comments

boring

Posted by: follybeach | June 10, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

*sigh* so friggin predictable, JR.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | June 10, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

I don't wanna play a 3-4! Maaaamaaaa! Waaaaa! Sob!

Albert either come in and play some ball or stay home and cry some more!

Posted by: sbf845 | June 10, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Not eagerly awaited by the fans. He can stay gone for good.

Posted by: anw821 | June 10, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

I will say that Reid has made it 18 days without a worthless Haynesworth update, so maybe the WaPo Editors got tired of watching him shake and let him get his fix.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | June 10, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

yeah but there will be another before the mandatory camp next week.

why can't we hear about who is doing well at OTA's?

Posted by: follybeach | June 10, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

In all seriousness, what an a**hole.

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | June 10, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: srobert1117 | June 10, 2010 2:18

Pretty much agreed. Our priority is OL -- McNabb needs to be protected -- plus it'd help if our run game wasn't a disaster.

Still ... if we were to make a run a VJax, the player we'd give up would need to change an SD weakness into a strength. SD has decent young WRs, a superb TE and the best 3rd down back in football. SD still has a very good passing game without VJax.

Not sure if there's a fit, but SD has had issues on defense. Carlos Rogers + Andre Carter for VJax?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 10, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

mol... who is this "Albert Haynesworth" character, on account of which much ink has been spent and numerous electrons zapped across the ether?

clue me in someone. is it sorta like Santa Claus?

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 10, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

I'll tell you what worries me in this post. Its that Albert is somehow behind in learning this new defense. Seriously? He plays the least complicated position there is.

If there is a lot of playbook learning for Albert, imagine what it must be like for the LBs and DBs. Its not like our DBs looked like they understood the defense in 2009.

I'm wondering if Haslett is kind of an Al Saunders on defense. Big complicated playbook which most of the players don't get.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 10, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Just another example of an overpaid "(you fill in the blank)" athlete that if he had not had the privilege to play professional sports would be either in prison, working at Wendy's or living off the Government's tit.

Posted by: lylefish | June 10, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Not eagerly awaited by the fans. He can stay gone for good.

Posted by: anw821 | June 10, 2010 2:48 PM

Put me in the camp for those awaiting his arrival. The team as a whole will be improved with a "brought in" Haynesworth. If big AL doesn't buy in, the team will be in better position to trade him, if Haynesworth is in shape and eager to leave the team.

Posted by: TWISI | June 10, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

If he shows up in the same shape as last year, we should trade him to Carolina for the rights to Muhsin Muhammad.

Posted by: donsilvester | June 10, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: donsilvester |

I feel a chill.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 10, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Previous Post

plus it'd help if our run game wasn't a disaster.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 10, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

What are you talking about? Disaster? Just because we have some old dinosaurs around doesn't mean anything, it's not like anything disasterous ever happened to the dinosaurs.....wait.....are we counting the ice age?...........screw it, we're in deep sh*t.......why couldn't this be 1996?

Posted by: monk811 | June 10, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | June 10, 2010 3:06 PM

Co-sign

Posted by: dlhaze1 | June 10, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Do we know for sure that Haynesworth does not want to play in a 3-4 or does not want to be here anymore? Everything I hear and read refers to 'sources' close to the situation, what/who are these sources? J Reid's feeling on the situation? Call me skeptical of the validity of these sources. This mutt(the mayor) is a joke.

Until I hear him say he does not want to be involved with the Redskins just stop the nonsense, he will be here when he needs to be here.

Posted by: whydoIcare | June 10, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: whydoIcare | June 10, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

why couldn't this be 1996?

Posted by: monk811 | June 10, 2010 3:15 PM

try resetting the system clock on your computer, and see what happens.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 10, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Not eagerly awaited by the fans. He can stay gone for good.

Posted by: anw821 | June 10, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Speak for yourself. I actually want good players to play for the Redskins.

Posted by: McBride33 | June 10, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

why couldn't this be 1996?

Posted by: monk811 | June 10, 2010 3:15 PM

try resetting the system clock on your computer, and see what happens.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 10, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Setting system clock.......

It's 1996........

Oh no, Norv Turner....drafting Andre Johnson......not making playoffs........setting back to 2010!!!

Ah, once you go back to the Hell we were in, this one's not so bad!!!

Posted by: monk811 | June 10, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

I have no sympathy for Haynesworth. Yeah, he was signed to play in a 4-3 defense. So? Defenses change and employees in the real world who were hired to work in one type of business find themselves working in other business types when businesses are sold, managers change, etc. I find the arrogance of Haynesworth to be unacceptable. He best have his butt on the field and performing at a top level or he might just find himself being sued to get money back for non-performance.

Of course Haynesworth can surprise us and come to camp in the best shape of his career with an attitude that matches his enormous salary. And perhaps then hell freezes over and donkeys fly on their own.

Posted by: laserwizard | June 10, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: whydoIcare | June 10, 2010 3:18 PM

Well, Phillip Daniels alludes to it in the above post, but up until now it has only been JReid and Lacanfora beating this horse.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | June 10, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | June 10, 2010 3:26 PM

sorry, probably should have warned you.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 10, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Didn't Shawn Springs do the same thing every year?

As long as he's beasting out I don't care what Fat Albert does.

Matter of fact I don't care what anybody does as long as my 11-5 prediction comes true.

If it doesn't then I'll cut some bacon off his back.

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 10, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 10, 2010 3:36 PM

wrong cut for making bacon...

try taking some off the belly.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 10, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

try taking some off the belly.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 10, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse
He's got plenty of that

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 10, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: whydoIcare | June 10, 2010 3:18 PM

That's been my attitude all along. I've never read a quote of his immenseness saying he didn't want to play for the Skins. The only quote I read from him he said he would be moved around on the line and he was looking forward to creating havoc. Let's wait till he gets here and see what kind of shape he's in and go from there. I hope he has a great year.

Posted by: wireman65 | June 10, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Question: Could Shanahan put AH92 on the physically unable to perform list if he shows up next week looking like the fat, lazy, unprepared and out-of-shape blowtard we think he may be, or does the coach need to wait for the official start of training camp next month?

Posted by: Vic1 | June 10, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Ah, once you go back to the Hell we were in, this one's not so bad!!!

Posted by: monk811 | June 10, 2010 3:26 PM
.................

not only that, but if it were '96 all over again we'd still have the cerrato era to endure....

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | June 10, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

On the surface it sounds as if the players aren't too upset about him not being around. But the reality of the situation is that people are probably thinking much less of him as a person. How would you feel if one of your co-workers just shrugged off their duties and hung out while the rest of the company is working their a$$es off? That's how resentment starts.

Posted by: ericroks | June 10, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Previous Post

plus it'd help if our run game wasn't a disaster.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 10, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811

Did some looking into our run game last year. Our yards per carry was 4th worst. The teams worse were Indy, SD, and Houston -- kind of proof that a run game isn't needed to win, if you've got great passing talent.

Still, I did a quick analysis on the RB part of the run game by taking out the QB contributions. Peyton had a lot of carries that were kneel downs. Of the teams in the bottom, only the Skins had a QB that ran the ball well.

Turns out our run game, just looking at the RBs, was 2nd worst in football, with SD being last.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 10, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Speak for yourself. I actually want good players to play for the Redskins.

Posted by: McBride33 | June 10, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Really? Even players devoid of character and completely undevoted to a team that pays him $100 million. So knowing what you know now, you'd pay Haynesworth $100 million to sign with the team? Naive fans like yourself are just part of the problem with professional sports.

Posted by: anw821 | June 10, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Who care's..hopefully he's in shape and ready to play. Either way he will probably be traded when the right deal comes around anyway. There are too many positive things going on with this team to get caught up with Albert Haynesworth. Man I'm glad that training camp, preseason, and the regular season is right around the corner.

Posted by: bjohnson2000 | June 10, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

once again, since courtesy is not a strong point around here...

clang, beep, moo, whateves.

please git yerself to the next thread.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 10, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Headline from Week 4:

Haynesworth registered his third sack of the season today despite the fact that he would have preferred to be traded to another team in the offseason.

Posted by: paperwc | June 10, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

This article is even more effective than sleeping pills

Posted by: nativedc | June 10, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

To Albert, it's all about Albert, not about the Redskins, so he can just stay home, I don't want him in our 3-4 as much as he doesnt want to be in it. He's a distraction, a disgrace, and a major dissapointment. He doesnt deserve to wear Burgundy and Gold. He's an overpaid, selfish winer. I wish the press would drop any stories about him. Talk about the ones that are true Redskins.

Posted by: Gibbs4Pres | June 10, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

HereĀ“s an idea put the multi million dollar cry baby on the O line... jejeje

Posted by: eyebran | June 10, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't use the three days to "catch him up," anyway that's just BS for the microphones. Shanny, use the three days to kick his butt!!!

Posted by: Pepper5 | June 10, 2010 5:40 PM | Report abuse

$100,000,000 isn't enough to motivate someone to come in and run around in shorts and do drills?

P.O.S.

Posted by: DaveLopan | June 10, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

If he's gonna fall so far behind from the rest of the team for missing a voluntary workout, they should just make them mandatory. I'm glad they've gotten so much accomplished though.

Posted by: roperry | June 10, 2010 6:26 PM | Report abuse

I wonder what odds the Vegas book makers are giving that 'Hangnail' will or will not be in shape?

10-1? 100-1?

Posted by: whatyoutalkinboutman | June 10, 2010 7:10 PM | Report abuse

I bet my last penny that "Fat" Albert does not show up next week. Even though it's mandatory, and he can be fined, he will not show up. Let's say he is fined $10K a day, that's chump change for someone who just banked $40 million. Given the choice of sitting at home eating ding dongs and ho hos, versus working out, I think "Fat" Albert will choose to imprint his large rear into the Lazy Boy recliner.... Just sayin....

Posted by: skinfannomore | June 10, 2010 7:32 PM | Report abuse

You guys really want Albert to be "in shape"? I don't think I've ever seen a slim nose tackle. Aren't the best nose tackles short and very very wide? I'm curious to see Haslett's revolutionary, turnover causing, never-before-seen 3-4 defensive scheme.

Posted by: coparker5 | June 10, 2010 8:08 PM | Report abuse

I live in Knoxville TN and was in a local restaurant two days ago for lunch. AH was there having lunch with his kids. Trust me....he is not in shape....

Posted by: jjakubek | June 10, 2010 8:26 PM | Report abuse

i can only wish that buttersworth and meangelo hall will both be gone before the season starts.

Posted by: DLESMonday | June 10, 2010 9:58 PM | Report abuse

This guy kills me. I know everyone who posts here wish they could go into their job and say what they want and don't want. And probably all of us here make alot less money than this clown does.

Point I am trying to make is, if he doesn't want to do something, he should of never picked up that $21 million dollar check and just quit. But when he cashed it, that meant, I will do what you have asked of me, period!

Posted by: sputnee | June 11, 2010 5:07 AM | Report abuse

What's really interesting is reading about Haynesworthless and then reading about Nationals pitcher Strasbourg. One is fat, boring and petulant, the other is exciting and full of promise. Watch as the the football team become the turdskins.

Posted by: 44fx290 | June 11, 2010 7:14 AM | Report abuse

HOOOORAY!!!! Fat Albert will finally be here and you all will eat your words this season. FOOLS. Learn the game of football.

Posted by: COLUMBIASKINS | June 11, 2010 8:23 AM | Report abuse

I hope the coaches don't get personal with AH and use him to the best of his ability instead of making him just a hole plugger. That would be a total waste and misuse of power.

Posted by: harbirsingh | June 11, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Okok we alll know 92 is a big fatty!!!

The bad part is we need that fatty

Could you imagine..... carter, daniels, maake, buttersworth n rak all rushin the passer on the same play??????

We could get some pressure with that line up

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | June 11, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse