No surprises on Redskins' depth chart

There don't appear to be any major surprises on the Washington Redskins' depth chart heading into Sunday's game against the Dallas Cowboys. The Redskins' released the depth chart Tuesday afternoon, and the starters on both sides of the ball are unchanged from the depth chart at the end of the preseason.

A couple of notable items:
-- While Mike Shanahan declined to reveal his punt and kick returners on Monday, Devin Thomas is still listed as the top kick returner, followed by Byron Westbrook, Brandon Banks and Keiland Williams. Phillip Buchanon is listed as the top punt returner, followed by Banks.

-- Joey Galloway is still listed as the No. 2 receiver, which would seem to suggest he'll start opposite Santana Moss on Sunday. Roydell Williams is listed as Moss's backup, while Anthony Armstrong is listed as Galloway's. Both Banks and Thomas are listed as third-string receivers.

-- Albert Haynesworth is still listed as the backup nose tackle and is not listed at all among the defensive ends.

-- Stephon Heyer is listed as the backup at both offensive tackle positions. Kory Lichtensteiger is the No. 2 left guard and center, and Will Montgomery is listed as the No. 2 right guard.

-- Larry Johnson is the No. 2 running back, followed by Keiland Williams.

-- Kevin Barnes is listed as DeAngelo Hall's backup at cornerback and Westbrook is listed as a third-teamer.

-- With Kareem Moore recovering from knee surgery, Chris Horton is listed as the backup at both strong and free safety. Reed Doughty is listed as the top free safety.

By Rick Maese  |  September 7, 2010; 4:04 PM ET
Categories:  Albert Haynesworth
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins' handling of Albert Haynesworth in practice raises questions
Next: More on Albert Haynesworth trade possibility

Comments

This looks weird?

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 7, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Jason LaCanofsoda needs to learn to push himself away from the table once in a while.

Jesus dude, mix in a little fiber and a salad or two.

What a tubby little bastard.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 7, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

This looks weird?

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 7, 2010 4:10 PM

Because in Shanahan the Cowboys trust.

Posted by: bleep-bleep | September 7, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

I'm getting closer and closer to the notion that we're all being DUPED. Absolutely EVERYONE is being switched/tricked/duped by Shanahan.

That, or the Redskins are going to flat out suck bawls this season.

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | September 7, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Beyond the players that only a fool could think wouldn't be the starters, I don't believe a word of it.

Posted by: kaasmaster | September 7, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

So if Albert 'regresses towards the mean' this coming season, we should expect production in the neighborhood of 12 games, 11-12 starts, 40 tackles, and 4 sacks. That's actually a shade better than last season.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 7, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Dallas week is something special, looking forward to playing serious football.

Posted by: Albert_Haynesworth | September 7, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

I hope to see Brandon Banks as the #1 return guy, but he can’t have any fumbles for at least the first 5 weeks before we can “trust” him back there. If he fumbles in week 1 or 2 I think that they would want to bring T Austin up….

Posted by: dlhaze1 | September 7, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

beeps again

Posted by: dlhaze1 | September 7, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Who's Romo's backup? Because he's not going to make it through the game with Orakpo, Carter, Landry, Haynesworth, Fletcher, and others constantly running him over. Not with their terrible offensive line. Going to be so fun to watch...just like that 35-7 beat down at FedEx a couple years ago (I think that was the final score - Cooley with 3 TDs).

Hail to the Redskins! And Hail to the Most Unproductive Week of the Year (except the day after March Madness brackets are released).

Posted by: Section104 | September 7, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

I assume this depth chart is as meaningless as the ones in the preseason, but thanks for throwing it out there.

Posted by: HokiesSkins | September 7, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

I think Banks gets more of the 'returnable' punts that aren't in 'safe' situations. By that I mean the punts that likely won't be dropped inside the 10, or punts that are not in close-game situations where we need security more than the big play.

I do think we'll see him early on though if we force punts in the middle of Cowboys' territory. Get him in that return zone where he's fielding the ball between our 20 and 50 and that man will be dangerous.

Posted by: psps23 | September 7, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Re- Skins being a bottom 5 WR' corps: I added up the projected point totals for the WR corps for each NFL team according to ESPN.com's fantasy football league website. I figure this gives us a fair (though not great) projection of public opinion on the quality of each teams WR corps overall. By ESPN's standard, at least this way, we are 13th from the bottom.

NE-481
Jac-183
Car-165
Oak-165
TB-96
Buf-93
SEA-72

* This is with there adition of Houshmandzeadeh in my math but not ESPN's overall outlook, thie adition should drop other WR's # on the team.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 7, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

I still wondering why DT11 not the number 2 receiver...I mean I'm a JG fan, but the guy a little old. Plus, if we are going with the youth movement, then why JG in front of DT11. Well, I trust Shanahan and I know he'll lead to the promise land.

Posted by: taylormade218 | September 7, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Joey Galloway signed? Joey Galloway not cut? Joey Galloway on the roster? Joey Galloway to get playing time? Joey Galloway as the starter?

FIRE MIKE SHANAHAN TODAY!!!!!

Posted by: ShovelPlease | September 7, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: taylormade218 | September 7, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Devin Thomas is a bust. So is Kelly. They couldn't start for any team in the NFL. It seems to me Shanahan is doing the best he can with what he's got this year. Don't get your hopes up.

Posted by: jboogie1 | September 7, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse