Until knee improves, Haynesworth won't retest

Until his balky knee significantly improves, Albert Haynesworth does not plan further attempts to pass the conditioning test he must to participate in full practice with the Redskins, two people familiar with the situation said early Wednesday morning.

The Redskins medical and training staff has advised Haynesworth to continue to receive treatment on the knee in hopes of recovering well. The Pro Bowlers' knee became irritated, in part, because of his effort during multiple attempts at the test - two, timed 300-yard shuttle runs - early in training camp. And with the rain Wednesday, the Redskins do not want to risk Haynesworth, whom they have already paid $32 million, potentially further aggravating his knee while running on wet fields.

During his most recent attempt at the test, Haynesworth jogged lightly while testing his sore knee and decided he could not complete the process. If Haynesworth does not take the test today as expected, or unexpectedly tries and fails again, he would miss his 11th and 12th full practices of camp (he does side work each day).

The Redskins did not schedule a test for Wednesday morning and have none currently scheduled, one of the team sources said. Apparently, the feeling among the medical/training staff is that it simply doesn't make sense to move forward until Haynesworth believes he is capable of going at full speed again.

Of course, if Haynesworth's knee suddenly improves, another test could be scheduled quickly, the other source said. Both sources, however, do not expect Haynesworth to attempt the test in the next couple of days.

By Jason Reid  |  August 4, 2010; 6:28 AM ET
Categories:  Albert Haynesworth
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Wright man for the job of helping Kemo
Next: Albert Haynesworth's $21 million bonus made sense, given the options

Comments

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by: stevek20147 | August 4, 2010 6:55 AM | Report abuse

Seriously...if JReid would get off AH's nuts for a minute, he could maybe check out what the other 79 guys are doing and perhaps give us an update of what the hell is going on with the guys that ARE in shape and ARE practicing. I just read some of Keim's stuff on the Examiner and dude has some of the deepest, most detailed camp info I've seen all offseason. Maybe Reid could start to cut and paste some of that stuff instead of regurgitating PFT and ESPN tabloid topics...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 4, 2010 7:07 AM | Report abuse

There are countless other, more important stories in this training camp:

1) Position battles
2) New QB
3) Unheralded picks and FA's
4) O-line development

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | August 4, 2010 7:20 AM | Report abuse

100% agree, Ken. But with the WaPo and ESPN going the way of "Access Hollywood", we'd never know that...

I'm officially coming here for the jibba-jabba alone and getting my info from Keim and the Examiner. It's a damn shame we get more quality information from the comments section than we do the actual post at the top of the page...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 4, 2010 7:27 AM | Report abuse

It is funny how the mighty has fallen. The best the Post can do know is keep repeating the same AH story. Brownwood you are so right I get all the information from the comments section and very little info from the so called reporter.

Posted by: jm220 | August 4, 2010 7:31 AM | Report abuse

Albert isn't playing. That's boring.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | August 4, 2010 7:34 AM | Report abuse

Hey jm220, haven't seen you up here in a while...yeah, I don't know why I'm just now getting all fired up about it but I guess I've reached my limit on the AH topic. I mean, some days I don't even bother reading what's posted, just make my way straight to the comments. This AH crap is easily worse than the forced and tired JC debate...at least that was spread out over the course of a couple years...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 4, 2010 7:37 AM | Report abuse

So how's the PR/KR competition shaping up?

Posted by: wireman65 | August 4, 2010 7:39 AM | Report abuse

Let's talk coach:

"It doesn't matter to me what guys have done in the past, where they were drafted or anything like that," Shanahan says. "For me, it's all about competition when you step on the football field, and the best man plays. That's the way we're going to do things with the Washington Redskins."

Everyday I'm gaining more respect for Coach. Seems like he has the team focused, even with the side show we call AH. The coach is coaching, GM is doing FO and not running his mouth like Cerrato, and it appears $nyder has stepped back for now. This AH thing is nothing more than passive coverage of camp. Maybe a new sports editor is in order for WaPo, someone who could do for the WaPo what Coach is doing at the Park for a Redskins revival.

Again, my vote is to move Steinberg over here to RI.

Posted by: hessone | August 4, 2010 7:51 AM | Report abuse

Wow....The Redskins gave AH 32 million dollars already....I had no idea...

I wonder if the beat writers for the post get paid by the word and not by the post...

Posted by: gixxer998 | August 4, 2010 7:54 AM | Report abuse

Wow....The Redskins gave AH 32 million dollars already....I had no idea...

Posted by: gixxer998 | August 4, 2010 7:54 AM | Report abuse

bw26- You're right the next super bowl is XLV. I guess when your team hasn't been to one since XXVI, you stop keeping track.

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 4, 2010 7:56 AM | Report abuse

BALKY...good word. Not only describes the knee, it decribes everything about Fat Albert.

BALKY

Posted by: kone | August 4, 2010 7:56 AM | Report abuse

...never thought we would return to the days of "AH non-updates" dominating the blog...I guess anything is possible up here.

Oh, well.

I'll take brownie's advice and go see what Kein at the Examiner has to say.

Posted by: p1funk | August 4, 2010 7:59 AM | Report abuse

This is for you, hess...looks like with his hands outta the football operation, Snyder is finally doing something productive:

"Daniel Snyder did a pair of interviews with online media outlets on Tuesday, one with his own staff at Redskins.com and another with the bloggers from Hogs Haven. The latter hasn't yet been published, but the former is up, with a few mildly interesting nuggets.

Snyder was asked about Albert Haynesworth, and his answer was as vanilla as they come.

"I'm hoping that he passes the conditioning test set out, and I'm looking forward to seeing him out there with the rest of the guys," the owner said. "I think that Coach [Mike] Shanahan has a handle on everything here, and things will work out great."

When asked about the fan experience at FedEx Field, Snyder focused on the new videoboards and on tailgating, saying the team "bought some more land and increased our tailgating capacity and our size capacity, and we can really now go further and further."

And when asked about building an indoor practice facility, Snyder said that's "more and more" a possibility, and also mentioned the idea of a Redskins museum, either inside Redskins Park or the practice facility.

"I would love to have a Redskins museum..." he said. "Hopefully in the near future. The Redskins museum to me would be really important. I've been collecting now, since I've bought the team, a tremendous archive. It's in storage. We have some great stuff that would really be fantastic. The history here, the tradition here, the fan base - it would be really exciting to give the fans an opportunity to see all of that."

By Dan Steinberg | August 3, 2010; 9:44 PM ET

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 4, 2010 7:59 AM | Report abuse

When I played football, about a hundred years ago, my teammates would have seen what was going on here and been encouraging. They would have cheered me on when I was running this test. They would have run it with me. It's time for the rest of the squad to get him back into the fold. It's not a revolt against Shanny. It's simply helping a teammate be everything he can be. London, DeAngelo and Philip should run the drill with him next time he does it to show that they want him back in the mix.

Posted by: seanmichaeltaylor | August 4, 2010 8:01 AM | Report abuse

I would like a progress report on how Dennis Morris, the fullback/tightend from Louisianna Tech is doing. Supposedly he is a punishing blocker that actually enjoys blocking. AH and his knees can go to &*&&! Maybe AH should go on IR?? or the PUP????

Posted by: RedskinJim1 | August 4, 2010 8:01 AM | Report abuse

pfunk, let me know whatcha think...looks like Keim doesn't update more than a couple times a day but when he does he makes it worth the wait.

Quality over quantity. Who knew you could still get that in 2010...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 4, 2010 8:02 AM | Report abuse

What about a story of Lorenzo Alexander practicing with the first team?? That is an incredible accomplishment for a former undrafted rookie free agent beating out a former first round pick. Especially considering he has never played linebacker. All he does is what the team needs him to do, and he does it well. Lo is what Redskin's football should be all about.

Posted by: RedskinJim1 | August 4, 2010 8:04 AM | Report abuse

brown, gotta agree with you, something OTHER than an update on big Al....something, there has to be something that's going on at camp other than what we get here.....rookies...anything...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 4, 2010 8:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: seanmichaeltaylor | August 4, 2010 8:01 AM

You're not the first to come up here with this mess...if AH shows his fat ass up to mandatory camp at a bare minimum, he's probably not even required to run this test. He's consistently shown that he's disinterested in being a part of this team and playing for Mike Shanahan so why should any of them go out on a limb for AH? If AH is watching his back and the team is watching AH's back, who's there for the rest of the team?

AH has A LOT of work to do to earn that level of respect from his teammates and I doubt he'll ever get his head out of his ass long enough to do it.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 4, 2010 8:09 AM | Report abuse

In a weird way, it's good that AH is drawing all of the attention during this training camp. It kind of takes allot of the scrutiny off of our new QB, new coaches, and the rest of the players who would normally be answering the same questions (how is the new scheme coming along?), over and over and over...

Posted by: Jason10 | August 4, 2010 8:10 AM | Report abuse

"I would love to have a Redskins museum..." Snyder said.

Those little ellipses indicate that words have been omitted. In this case the words were "...with a $5 admission fee."

Posted by: beep-beep | August 4, 2010 8:11 AM | Report abuse

brown,

I like Keim's bullet-point approach to several of his entries. It gives you a better overall impression of what's actually happening at the camp as opposed to focusing on a particular storyline in the camp.

Although he also has a couple of AH non-updates as well...I guess it's just contagious with the media-types...

Posted by: p1funk | August 4, 2010 8:14 AM | Report abuse

@brownwood26

Thanks for the kind post brown. I think $nyder does himself a favor by opening up and talking to his public. Now, if WaPo could forget about the likes of AH, CP, and the players that garnish all the headlines, and report some new and interesting stories from camp..........

Posted by: hessone | August 4, 2010 8:17 AM | Report abuse

"I would love to have a Redskins museum..." Snyder said.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 4, 2010 8:11 AM

That's not an unreasonable price...I mean, to get into the HoF museum it's more than 3 times that price. And if you take into account what it costs just to get a plate of nachos at FedEx Field, 5 bucks for ANYTHING Redskins related is a bargain...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 4, 2010 8:19 AM | Report abuse

Oh, well.

I'll take brownie's advice and go see what Kein at the Examiner has to say.

Posted by: p1funk | August 4, 2010 7:59 AM | Report abuse
I have to agree with brownie, p1, all my camp info is coming from Keim and Matt Terl at redskins.com. And also from TWISI and Vic, who have given us good stuff here on the blog from Ashburn.

Posted by: frediefritz | August 4, 2010 8:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 4, 2010 8:09 AM

An easy co-sign here.

Posted by: hessone | August 4, 2010 8:23 AM | Report abuse

Look, man, I couldn't agree more, but this opinion is shortsighted. So we keep abusing him and then what? He misses all of camp? We bench him for the season? He's a hell of a DT and we need him. It's time to relent a little and become a better football team. I mean, what do you propose, cutting him? That's just plum dumb.

Posted by: seanmichaeltaylor | August 4, 2010 8:23 AM | Report abuse

"I would love to have a Redskins museum..." Snyder said.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 4, 2010 8:11 AM

Good one beep !

Posted by: hessone | August 4, 2010 8:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | August 4, 2010 8:14 AM

Well, you kinda HAVE to address it somewhat. I just have issue with making it the ONLY thing reported.

You saw what Keim does...gives you the update with none of the bullsh*t. No "the Redskins have already given AH $32 million", no "he's already missed 10 practices"...just says he's not practicing today and (ironically) runs a link to this WaPo thread.

So it's certainly a notable story, I just hate that it's dominating training camp when it's no less than about 5th on the list of things we should be focusing on.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 4, 2010 8:26 AM | Report abuse

what gets me is the post about the linemen going 1-1...but then no details listing specificity....who beat who, who got stonewalled, anyone get pancaked, who looked good, any fights??....instead we get, another AH update.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 4, 2010 8:29 AM | Report abuse

Im tired of the never ending point that AH has been paid $32M already and Snyder wants to keep him because of it. Has anyone heard of the term sunk cost? Paying AH happened (at least the majority of it) and its sickeneing how many times it gets mentioned. Regardless of what he was paid in the past, what matters is what happends from now on.

I think WaPo should consider Reid's quality of work and wages as a sunk cost and relieve him of his duties

Posted by: BacktoGlory | August 4, 2010 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Brown,

Posted by: mack1 | August 4, 2010 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BacktoGlory | August 4, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 4, 2010 8:29 AM | Report abuse

Keim at the Examiner talks about some specific 1-1 matchups.

How are feeling about the Shaq to C's rumors?

Posted by: p1funk | August 4, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: seanmichaeltaylor | August 4, 2010 8:23 AM

Dude, the only thing shortsighted is the notion that we "need" AH. We don't. We've had top 10 defenses most of the last decade without him. We've made the playoffs without him. Last year Orakpo had his best game of the year without AH on the field presumably freeing him up. He's a dominant player WHEN HIS HEAD IS IN IT and we have yet to see that guy in burgundy and gold.

My bet is we never will.

He's a Ferarri with no engine. Looks good on a showroom floor, but won't get you from Point A to Point B. Kedric Golston and Jeremy Jarmon may be more like a Dodge Caravan, but at least they'll get you where you're going.

The guys they have in there now may not have the "sexy name" or be athletic marvels, but they know the defense and they've been working hard. Which is more than we can say for AH.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 4, 2010 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Logic says this conditioning test has died slowly and quietly. No sense getting his knee 100% and then risking injury on this beyond meaningless test.

I'm most worried about the fact that I'm not hearing any good news about any of the new guys we brought in. If none of the new guys is tearing it up and looking great, then we're looking at another four-win season because what we had last year won't cut it.

Posted by: SlinginSammy | August 4, 2010 8:35 AM | Report abuse

"I would love to have a Redskins museum..." Snyder said.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 4, 2010 8:11 AM

Now, that's not fair.

I'm sure Snyder wouldn't mind waiving the admission fee if you buy a club level package...

Posted by: p1funk | August 4, 2010 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Again, my vote is to move Steinberg over here to RI.

Posted by: hessone

Hey Hess....boycott Ja$on Reid!

Sorry man, had to do it. But seriously tho, I'm appreciating the thought out posts you've been bringing lately. Much better than the 3 word posts of earlier days. Just sayin.

Posted by: Predator48 | August 4, 2010 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Jason Reids Blog Checklist

Write about Haynesworth*... check
State the blisteringly obvious in the headline... check
Mention a couple of people familiar with the situation... check
Qualify every statement with a complete biography of the subject**... check
Watch PFT for more Haynesworth news...

*Colt Brennan is also acceptable
** Bonus points are awarded based on the number of times the biographical statement has been posted. For example, 'Haynesworth has been paid $32 million' is worth roughly 5.8 trillion bonus points.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 4, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse

The Examiner has always had great camp coverage, even in the free paper they give out. Post is slipping big time. Keep putting those Keim updates up here.

Posted by: Stu27 | August 4, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse

I'm a John Keim fan. Dude gives you a good idea of what players are doing right or wrong on the field. I get a better understanding of what to look for from certain players when the preseason games start up.

Posted by: TWISI | August 4, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

"I would love to have a Redskins museum..." Snyder said.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 4, 2010 8:11 AM

Now, that's not fair.

Posted by: p1funk | August 4, 2010 8:35 AM | Report abuse
------------------------------

Both of you should know full well that admission will be free.

Parking will be $50 per person in the vehicle.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 4, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

p1, if they can limit his minutes, then I think it could be a good move. I'd have him drop about 20-30 pounds, and come into the season around 300 pounds....keep him around 20 minutes per game, and he could be effective...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 4, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

I'd like to start a petition to offically rename this conditioning test, the Haynesworth Shuttle (or alternately, the Haynesworth Shuffle).

I'd like the NFL to mandate that all teams hereby deem it such.

Posted by: bigbassdrum | August 4, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Greg, here's something from Keim on the 1-on-1 stuff...not much but it's SOMETHING:

Mack, there's nothing new on there because the day just started. No practice yet. You show me where on here Reid or anyone else breaks down stuff like Keim did on the link I have above...saying that it's "same stuff, different font" is so far off base, I can't stand it...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 4, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

JREID-

PLEASE LET ESPN AND SI AND ALL THE OTHER OUTLETS COVER THE HAYNESWORTH SITUATION!!!!!

The people that follow this blog are sick of this kind of coverage. Real fans care more about the team than just one deadbeat player.

How are Trent Williams and Jamaal Brown doing?

How do the linebackers look?

MCNABB?

There are so many other stories we want to know about, COVER THEM!!!

Posted by: saltine182 | August 4, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: seanmichaeltaylor | August 4, 2010 8:23 AM

There's a problem with the knee.

Had AH passed the conditioning test, he would still need to take time on the sideline to rest it. It could just as easily flare up doing drills as it could doing shuttle-runs.

Shanny is smart to bide his time with this; and it's not just about alienating AH.

If he's on the roster, he's going to want AH to play when the season rolls around and that means preserving the knee now. If Shanny wants to trade him at some point before Week 6, then it serves no purpose to further injure/irritate the knee and put damaged goods out there.

Either way he still needs to learn the basic scheme. Let him work with the trashcans until he picks it up. It doesn't help him or any defensive unit to roll him out there in practice when he doesn't know what he's doing.

Posted by: p1funk | August 4, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

My bet is we never will.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 4, 2010 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Dude, check the YPC against us WITH Fat Al in the game and WITHOUT Fat Al in the game. 2.5 vs 4.0. It's simple math. Stop acting like we can live without him and be just as good. This is the NFL. You need all your horses. I don't love him. I don't even like him, but let's not pretend he doesn't make us light years better.

Posted by: seanmichaeltaylor | August 4, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Does this mean that the media can put AH's ample rear end on the back burner for a few days (please, please, pretty please)?

Posted by: rufus_t_firefly | August 4, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Report: Vikings offer Favre $16 million plus incentives

Posted by Mike Florio on August 4, 2010 12:10 AM ET

Currently, Vikings quarterback Brett Favre is due to earn a base salary of $13 million in 2010. In an effort to persuade him not to retire, the Vikings are willing to bump the number to $16 million, and then some.

Judd Zulgad of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune reports that the Vikings have offered a $3 million raise to Favre, along with incentives that if met would push the total even higher.

We still think Favre also will hold out for the ability to show up a week or so before the regular-season opener. And giving coach Brad Childress an atomic wedgie on national television probably remains a deal breaker for Brett.

Posted by: TWISI | August 4, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse

"This is how it should be done, this style is identical to none"- Rakim

Posted by: bernard_thompson | August 4, 2010 8:44 AM | Report abuse

I know this would be asking for like a monumental ground shaking effort but could we get a position by position breakdown for the 80 players in camp attendance. Just for funziees. Surley by now all players positions should be evident...

Posted by: Stu27 | August 4, 2010 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Does Jason Reid post this stuff at 6:30 am so that the major news outlets pick it up and use it?

ESPN Insider usually reruns this stuff around 9.

SI puts an article up around 9:30.

Posted by: saltine182 | August 4, 2010 8:46 AM | Report abuse

@Predator48

Thanks for the kind words. I'm a loyal Redskin fan that couldn't take it anymore. I'd like to thank the posters that brought me back from jumping off the cliff, and the way things are shaping up, I'll be screaming at my TV set on Redskin Sunday's and throwing my yellow and red flag at the screen this year ! HTTR

Posted by: hessone | August 4, 2010 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 4, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

O'Neal plus O'Neal could equal a potentially effective center.

Just one O'Neal by himself? Not so much.

But those C's sure are getting old...

Posted by: p1funk | August 4, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

I'd like the NFL to mandate that all teams hereby deem it such.

Posted by: bigbassdrum | August 4, 2010 8:40 AM

While we're celebrating failure, we should put Heath Shuler and Adam Archuleta in the Ring of Honor, retired Juwan Howard's jersey at Verizon Center, and the Bulls should take down the Jordan statue in favor of a Pete Myers shrine. Maybe get NFLN to hire Kurt Shanaman to break down QBs while we're at it...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 4, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: seanmichaeltaylor | August 4, 2010 8:43 AM

Don't waste your time with him and the other haters. All this "Haynesworth is worthless" talk is just sour grapes because the man is a certified headcase. If we cut him and Dallas picked him up, he'd give us hell in the opener. No doubt about it. And if he's so worthless, why haven't we outright released him?

Posted by: artiesliver | August 4, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Geez...just after I give Snyder some props, he does this...from PFT:

Daniel Snyder say he once tried the conditioning test
Posted by Mike Florio on August 4, 2010 8:37 AM ET
When ESPN's Mike Golic, many years and many more Twinkies removed from his playing days, passed the conditioning test that Redskins defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth consistently has failed, the notion that Haynesworth is merely being picked on by coach Mike Shanahan took a major hit.

It would have been even worse if owner Daniel Snyder had passed the thing.

In an interview with HogsHaven.com, Snyder says that he once tried -- and apparently failed -- to demonstrate that he's in what Shanahan calls "football shape."

"First of all, it is hard," Snyder said. "A couple years back, I tell [linebacker] London Fletcher I am going to run this thing. He gets me a pair of cleats and I go out there and try to do it. . . . I am no athlete. London was just about peeing his pants he was laughing so hard at me as I dry-heaved. I felt like I was going to die."

Almost as intriguing, in our view, is the fact that the guys who did the interview entered the room with no intention of asking any questions about Haynesworth, and Snyder simply blurted this out. (Reasonable minds may differ on whether questions should have been asked about Haynesworth, but we can understand why a site that caters to the fans of the Redskins would exercise discretion in a manner that avoids potentially alienating a large chunk the readership by dredging up stuff that could ultimately make a very bad situation even worse. Or maybe one of the conditions of the interview was that they couldn't ask questions about Haynesworth, and that they also had to make it look like it was their idea not to. Either way, it's hard to make a plausible case for completely avoiding the hottest-button issue this side of Brett Favre's maybe, could be, possible Third Annual Retirement.)

So Mike Golic can pass the test. Dan Snyder can't. More importantly, Haynesworth can't -- and he'll stop trying to do so until his knee is healed. At which time he likely won't be in any better shape than he was when he tried unsuccessfully to pass it the first time around. Meanwhile, coach Mike Shanahan has to decide whether to stick to his guns, to the ongoing detriment of getting Haynesworth ready for Week 1.

Yeah, we can see why the subject isn't newsworthy.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 4, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: seanmichaeltaylor | August 4, 2010 8:43 AM

Posted by: artiesliver | August 4, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

I've been as staunch a defender of AH's on-field impact up here as anyone else (not a defender of the man's character, mind you).

But as talented as he is, he needs to be motivated to put in the effort. It never helped the Vikes, Raiders, Pats when Randy Moss was sulking and half-arsing his routes. Right? All this crap about holding out and demanding a trade doesn't put a very great light on AH's desire to be here/play here, and that's the problem.

Posted by: p1funk | August 4, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

In his first practice with the Ravens, cornerback Doug Dutch noticed a difference in the level in intensity from the Washington Redskins.

“Practice here is a lot more hard,” said Dutch, who was traded to the Ravens for quarterback John Beck on Monday. “It’s a lot bigger and tougher grind.”

That's fine, Dutch...love to hear your evaluation of camp next week when you're sidelined with an injury.

Posted by: oh_boy1 | August 4, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: artiesliver | August 4, 2010 8:49 AM

You're criminally insane...dude doesn't know OUR defense, let alone learn Dallas' (which, by the way, is the dreaded 3-4 as well) on the fly.

This is football, not the NBA. It's not about stars in this game, it's about the entire TEAM. NO player is absolutely essential. We've seen the Giants win a SB without Phil Simms. We've seen the Pats go 11-5 without Tom Brady. It's about a total team effort, not one guy. As a Skins fan that's seen this franchise win 3 SBs with 3 different QBs and no big star power, you should know this, man!

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 4, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

So wuddya wanna do, pfunk? Everyone's been crying about him, but no one gives any ideas about how top resolve it. I didn't say not to make him take the test and pass it. I said his teammates should start to support him a little bit and get him back into the fold. I said that a few of them should consider running the test with him to show that they want him to buy into the team mentality that they all seem to have. Crying about his lunacy isn't getting him back to occupying blockers and letting London make tackles. Again, he was a clown last year, but he made us better. 2.5 YPC with him IN the game, 4.0 when he's OUT of the game. Dispute that!

Posted by: seanmichaeltaylor | August 4, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Reid is who he is. A journalist, not a blogger. Why the shock effect?

Posted by: RedDMV | August 4, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Artie and sean, if you've ever read the comments up here you'd know how crazy it is to back AH when pfunk is even telling you not to. I mean, at one point I was CERTAIN that he was AH's agent...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 4, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

I just want to know which 80 peeps are in which positions. This offseason had me a bit more confused then others...

Posted by: Stu27 | August 4, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

I have to add my voice to the chorus of negativity about the quality of the WaPo blogging on RI. I get the AH updates, annoying as it is, it is news wothy...BUTT what I don't get is that this is NOT A BLOG. These updates read like newsbites from the Redskins Notebook section of the newspaper. There is no personal feel, no dialogue with readers, no stuff that wouldn't still be appropriate in the print section, no humor, no opinions, no eyes on the ground stuff.....its just all filler.

Not to mention that 1/3 of every post contains the same cut-n-paste info that appears in every post about a topic. I mean is there a freakin' template? There is so much boiler plate text in every post I almost feel like some RI Blog-bot writes it.

This is not the norm on other WaPo (and wasn't during most of Janso's tenure...)sports blogs. Read Steinbog, or the work on the Caps blog, or Nats...there is a conversational tone, insider stuff, rapport with readers, plus a crappe load more images and Video. At least Janso brought the heat and inspired passion in commentors, even if 3/4s of it was negative, it was still lively. Now? People just gets mad b/c its so BORING!

C'mon WaPo RI step it up.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 4, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Let me be clear. I am NOT backing AH. I'm just saying that we could really use him. I think he's a petulant child who, if he doesn't get his way, throws a tantrum, BUT he's a hell of a football player. I want him practicing and I want him playing in games. I'm not saying fold to his demands. I'm just offering ideas for how we can get him to pass this test and buy into the TEAM.

Posted by: seanmichaeltaylor | August 4, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

My bet is we never will.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 4, 2010 8:35 AM | Report abuse

----

That's all well and good from an integrity standpoint...

but Haynesworth is still better than those guys by greater than a country mile, and it's not even close. Haynesworth playing as a fat, lazy, out-of-shape A-hole (like he was last year) is still twice as effective and twice as dominant as Kedrick Golston or Jeremy Jarmon (at this point in his career).

Dude's been paid, dude's on the roster, it would be like cutting off your nose to spite your face to NOT get whatever talents you can out of him, regardless of how much you deem him to be unworthy of your loyalty.

Posted by: psps23 | August 4, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: seanmichaeltaylor | August 4, 2010 9:06 AM

Here's one: cut him.

Bringing him to camp at all was a mistake. I wanted to trade him but nobody seems to wanna give anything of value. So either the Skins have to take whatever they can get (a la the Steelers with Santonio Holmes), or just cut his ass.

It's a bad investment. Hanging onto him longer isn't gonna change that. This team has a chance to make a big leap this year and AH is doing more to undermine that effort than help it. So get him out!

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 4, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Reid is who he is. A journalist, not a blogger. Why the shock effect?

Posted by: RedDMV | August 4, 2010 9:07 AM

Posted by: beep-beep | August 4, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

"smfh @ people bashing Reid... Not because you all are doing it, but because you all are acting so surprised at the content.

Reid is who he is. A journalist, not a blogger. Why the shock effect?"

I agree, I like JReid OK as a journo...but he does run this blog and he sucks at it. Tarik Brashear does both mastefully for the Caps. I just think the WaPo should let JReid cover the team and get an actual blogger to run the insider....using JReid material when appropriate.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 4, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

"In my opinion as a long time RI Junkie, the RI blog has never been worse and that in my view is also seeping into the comments as the number of voices dwindle b/c the quality of posts suck."

Couldn't agree more. I've actually turned to Redskins.com for my Redskins updates (which are about 10 times better than you get on here). It's a sad day for the Wapo.

Posted by: psps23 | August 4, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

"Because the difference between "journalist" and "blogger" is the difference between 1,000 and 1,001. It's not like we're asking Newt Gingrich to pass the Redskins conditioning test.

Posted by: beep-beep"

Thats actually not true at all....different medium, different skills...some do both well. But your statement is misguided.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 4, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | August 4, 2010 9:17 AM

And keeping him is throwing good money after bad. I get hanging on to him past April 1st to see if you can deal him leading up to the draft. I don't get bringing him to camp when it's clear that nobody deems him worth trading for.

I mean, the Eagles outright wanted no parts of him in the McNabb deal. If team that drafted him wanted no parts of him and you can't even pass him off to a division rival, how valuable is he REALLY??

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 4, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: seanmichaeltaylor | August 4, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

What's wrong with what Shanny is doing right now?

Is AH's knee going to suddenly stop swelling just b/c of gaggle of well-wishing teammates jog along with him?

He's doesn't have no contact with the team, he's just not being inserted into practice. Even if he had passed the shuttle, he would likely be resting the knee.

I think what Shanny is doing is fine. AH needs to earn the right to be part of practice, healthy or not - it's a privilege, not an entitlement. That's the message that AH needs to get through his fat head.

Seriously, about a month ago this guy flipped the bird to the whole organization AND teammates, cashed a $21 milll check and basically said - "I don't want to be part of this team anymore". The burden is on him to endear himself to his teammates, not the other way around.

So AH shows up for mandatory camp because he doesn't want his contract cancelled, gets a swollen knee, and everyone is supposed to start kissing his butt to make him feel better about things?

The solution is for AH to take his medicine, respect his coach, look in the mirror, man-up, apologize to his teammates, and then play his tail off.

Posted by: p1funk | August 4, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Well b-b, we're gonna have to disagree.

chrislarry, pretty much spelled out the difference between a blogger and journalist at 9:16 AM.

Reid posts threads as if he just cut and paste them from an article he wrote, or as if he just copied them from his notes. There is no personal vibe, just a bunch of redundant bull-chatter.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 4, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Hey Brown, say we cut him and he goes to the Eagles and beats our asses twice a year. Then where ya gonna be? You gonna come to this blog and say, well, at least we have team unity, even if we're 8 - 8 (at best). I know we're not supposed to attack other comments, but that's just moronic. He's at camp. He's been paid an exorbitant amount of money and he's a BEAST on the field. FIND A WAY TO COEXIST.

Posted by: seanmichaeltaylor | August 4, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

"Dude, the only thing shortsighted is the notion that we "need" AH. We don't. "

Brownwood, okay i'll concede to the fact that we don't need Albert. But, I for one, want him. Just because you don't want him, and it seems like you don't like him. Does not mean that all Redskins fans feel that way.

All I am trying to say is, why rain on other fans parade just because you don't want Albert on the team. I for one am not trying to rain on your parade just because you want him gone, while I prefer to have him here.

Posted by: dbailey211 | August 4, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Mr Haney could be doing the Portis thing of the past. Feign injury to avoid the grueling training camp ordeal.

Posted by: iubiquity | August 4, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

CoSign cL's comment.

Oh how lowly we've fallen. Remember when we used to cross-populate the print version? Now it seems we are either completely ineffectual as a revenue stream or just completely taken for granted.

I would hate to think we'd actually have to start populating another space, but I'm seriously considering it.

If we are going to start hanging out elsewhere, let's post it on the Wiki.

Jibba Jabba Rulez
Hack Blog Posting Drulez

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 4, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Portis is an A-hole btw,, he needs to just ST-FU and be glad he is still around!!

Posted by: iubiquity | August 4, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Beeps

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 4, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

You're not wrong at all, pfunk. But, at some point soon, he's gonna have to practice and learn the system. BTW, I'm not sure all this crap about his knee isn't a smoke screen. AND, I agree. I like that Shanny is showing him who's boss, but at some point, he's going to have to be part of this team. I'd rather it be sooner than later. AND, I agree, that he's gotta start pointing the finger at himself, however, Jimmy Johnson (of the three superbowl rings) once said he coaches everybody the same.....different. It's up to Shanny to facilitate a way to get him on the field without crumbling to his immaturity. Shanny's cashing big checks too. He needs to resolve this situation.

Posted by: seanmichaeltaylor | August 4, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

"I don't get bringing him to camp when it's clear that nobody deems him worth trading for."

This reminds me of the people that claimed JCampbell couldn't garner any interest because teams wouldn't give up the 2nd rounder we wanted for him during the Jay Cutler fiasco.

Yes teams wouldn't give up the value we placed on him, but it's disingenuous to say nobody deems him worth trading for.

If Haynesworth was so replaceable, I highly doubt Shanahan would be putting up with such nonsense day after day. Hell, if this were Carlos Rogers, Andre Cater, or Rocky McIntosh, my bet is Shanahan would have moved on without blinking an eye (and those guys are starters). That should provide a little hint to what Shanahan believes is AH's worth to this team this year.

Posted by: psps23 | August 4, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

sean, first of all, we offered AH up to the Eagles and they wanted no parts of him. Second of all, I have us going 8-8 with or without AH so with all things considered equal, my vote is without. If you think he's worth even ONE game in the standings, you're insane. Especially since we LOST 4 MORE with him on the roster.

Again...this franchise more than any other should know the value in having a cohesive TEAM instead of a collection of stars. We have 3 Lombardis to show for that logic. I guarantee we'll be just fine without him...especially since 44 teams have won SBs without AH on their roster.

Once again you're putting the onus on the Redskins to "make it work". The Redskins didn't avoid AH, AH avoided them. It's on HIM to get it right, not the Redskins.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 4, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

The problem I'm beginning to have is this:

This is called Redskins Insider. Even people who don't keep up with the Redskins know about Albert Haynesworth, and his offseason drama.

I don't keep up with the Vikings, but I am well aware that Brett Favre is "retiring".

I can't speak for everyone, but I would like an update on the following, in no particular order:
1. Trent Williams and Jamaal Brown
2. Terrence Austin as WR/PR/KR
3. Will someone pass Joey Galloway on the depth chart?
4. #2 and #3 RB spot behind Portis.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 4, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

"Posted by: brownwood26 | August 4, 2010 9:05 AM"

Haynesworth is not a wet-behind-the-ears player who hasn't played before and it's not like he's a QB. He probably wouldn't know the entire defensive package in a 3-4, but he'd do just fine lining up in specific situations.

My point is everybody just needs to let the situation play itself out and stop dogging him. AH is a bad investment and I've said that from the start, but if he's here, let's get the most out of him that we can. NOTHING would be better than watching him terrorize the s#it out of Romo. Defense wasn't our problem last year. O-line, QB and WR were huge issues. We've potentially addressed 2 out of 3.

Posted by: artiesliver | August 4, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Really Brown? We're as good with AH as we are without him? Good talk. I'm done discussing it with you. You make valid points, but that AIN'T one of 'em. Again I submit this: 2.5 YPC with him, 4.0 YPC without him. That's a monster number. And if you think the Eagles (or Any team in the division) wouldn't want him on the cheap or at a reasonable price(which is probably where he is now), YOU'RE insane. Buh bye!

Posted by: seanmichaeltaylor | August 4, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dbailey211 | August 4, 2010 9:31 AM

Posted by: MColeman51 | August 4, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

"There's absolutely nothing new on the examiner. It's the same crap as here. I agree with you the RI has been less than illuminating but that Keim guy is doing the same thing with a different font."

What are you talking about? Keim is providing MUCH more information on who's looking good in practice and who isn't (at least to him) with the daily "studs and duds" thing and his "training camp notebook." For example, he wrote,
"For a guy as tall as the 6-foot-6 Carriker, he’s done a good job thus far at staying low and gaining leverage against offensive linemen. It’s hard to imagine him losing the starting left end position. Monday, Carriker controlled right guard Artis Hicks in their matchups. Though Hicks is two inches shorter, Carriker consistently stayed lower. A couple times he simply pushed Hicks deep into the backfield."

I don't remember seeing anything this detailed and informative on RI. I don't like the Examiner as a publication and would choose the Post over it 10 times out of 10. But Keim is eating Reid's and Maese's lunch, and he'll be a regular read for me.

Posted by: rufus_t_firefly | August 4, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

@MColeman51, "Parade? If having AH on the team is a "parade", it's the worst parade since the Bataan Death March."

If that's your take on the subject, so be it. I just don't see it that way.

"Also, "raining" on this parade is expressing a different opinion on a blog...about the Redskins?! How dare we."

You are 100% correct, and I apolgize for that comment.

Posted by: MColeman51

Posted by: dbailey211 | August 4, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone really doubt the knee injury happened because of the Shanahan Death Test? The one a former NFL executive said AH was set up to fail on?

Posted by: Nemo24601 | August 4, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

I believe there is a serious mistake in this column which will highlight what is really involved here....It has been reported in the press that Haynesworth was required to run THREE not TWO drills as suggested here....To expect a three hundred thirty pound lineman to accomplish this timed drill when Shanahan knew or should have known that Haynesworth missed the end of the 2008 season with a bad leg that cost his team a chance a the Super Bowl..My son was a lineman....His entire workout stressed the ability to squat as much weight that his body could endure so that he could PUSH as hard as he could...The problem is and was that it destroys your knees...Haynesworth has been doing this since he was a teenager...Ask any orthopedic surgeon whether forcing Haynesworth to do something that no other lineman has been asked to do..THREE not TWO and he will tell you that was nuts in view of Haynesworth's history and size..Shanahan has made his point by sacrificing his highest priced lineman and the potential heart of his defense to make a point that could have been made otherwise..Ownership should be horrified because they will now have to pay this player and have destroyed his ability to play... The running backs of the Giants, Cowboys and Eagles should send a bottle of scotch to Shanahan and when our fans finally figure this out, they will not relish what has happened to Haynesworth as they apparently do now...These drills may have been the turning point of the season...before the season has even begun..Great job, Coach!! You win and the team and the fans lose....

Posted by: donthedean | August 4, 2010 9:01 PM | Report abuse