Buzbee's Long Road Back

It's easy to forget the guys who are injured. In this, the ultimate week-to-week, next-man-up league, that's the sad norm. I bumped into Alex Buzbee, the second-year defensive end who torn his Achilles on the first day of camp in a mundane, no-contact special teams drill.

Buzbee's cast was removed a week ago and he is wearing a walking boot, which he figured he will have on for at least another month. He immediately was placed on the injured reserve list, given the severity of the injury, and there was no way he was coming back from that thing for at least nine months.

So in Buzbee's mind, the 2009 season starts in mid-March, when he hopes to be cleared for full participate in the offseason workout program. The tear was extreme - the right Achilles' rolled back into his calf, Buzbee said, and had to be pulled back down and tightened - and the rehab will be very difficult.

Being around his teammates, and feeling wanted, is important to Buzbee, a Georgetown product who displayed some explosiveness and promise as an edge rusher as a rookie, spending most of 2007 on the practice squad. Buzbee is sharing a stall in the locker room with veteran end Phillip Daniels, who suffered a season-ending knee injury mere hours before Buzbee at the start of camp. They're helping each other through the grueling days.

"Phillip's a guy I really look up to," Buzbee said. "He's been very supportive. And the organization has been great, too. It's reassuring to feel like they want me here."

Buzbee hopes to begin jogging in two months, and is shooting for March, while admittedly unsure of what each week will hold.

"I've never gone through something like this before, so I'm not really sure what to expect," Buzbee said. "The doctors said it's an easy surgery, but a difficult rehab. I'm going to just feel it out day by day."

By Jason La Canfora  |  September 8, 2008; 2:55 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Kelly Is Back on the Field
Next: Fletcher's Stretch of Games Goes On

Comments

nads

Posted by: nads guy | September 8, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Godspeed....

Posted by: Greg | September 8, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

monkeysmoke!

Best of luck to Buzbee

Posted by: 4skinz | September 8, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

1st?

Posted by: longsufferingskinsfan | September 8, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

really pulling for buzbee to make it all the way back..he looked to have a shot at the roster this year, but those are the things that can happen.

all he can do is to give it everything he has

Posted by: shally | September 8, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

why is nate in the pdx boycotting the blog?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Bellicek presser now. It's official, Brady out for season.

Posted by: RambleOn | September 8, 2008 3:08 PM

Posted by: RambleOn | September 8, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to win the 2009 Tour De France

Posted by: Lance Armstrong | September 8, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Zeke, it was only close because Brady went down!

I would've scored almost 200 on you if that was the case. Not to mention I BENCHED Reggie Bush! That was my only F up........

Posted by: 4th | September 8, 2008 2:55 PM

You Da Man!!!

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 8, 2008 3:01 PM

4th, you had Gates and I had the Charger defense.

So Gates fumbles the ball and the Panthers return it for 6. Gates loses 2 FF points for the fumble. I lose 2 FF points because the Chargers OFFENSE gives up a score!!

Knew it wasn't my day!!!

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 8, 2008 3:08 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Hope Buzbee can get back to it, but it's a razor-thin margin when you don't have a lot of upside. Still, he's a young man, so here's hoping...

Watching future-HOF #55 get steamrolled time and again last Thursday shows you something about what kind of an impact player Phillip Daniels is.

Posted by: cload & daggar | September 8, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone post all the Redskins zingers from Peter King this morning:

Quick hit thoughts of the week:

a. Here's how you know Jason Taylor was not fit Thursday night: The first time he touched a Giant with the ball was on the 30th play of the game, 22 minutes in, when he tackled Brandon Jacobs.

b. I'll just say this: If Jason Taylor was anywhere near healthy, he's going to have a bad season. Maybe very bad. I watched him through the binoculars on 30 or so snaps Thursday night. No burst whatsoever.

c. Another Example of King Idiocy Dept.: I picked Washington to be an NFC Wild Card. Rally time, Men of Zorn.

What I liked this week:

a. Clinton Portis is one heck of a blocker.

b. Does London Fletcher make every tackle?

What I didn't like this week:

b. Speaking of bad play-calling, Zorn took the cake Thursday night. Sheesh. No no-huddle or hurry up in the last six minutes AT ALL, down two scores? It's like he was in a hurry to see the McCain speech.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 8, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

TRADE Collins to the PATRIOTS.. That way we can get more picks for next year... Dont think we REALLY need him this season.

Whos with me??

Posted by: Coco | September 8, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

trade campbell to em

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 8, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Whos with me??

Posted by: Coco | September 8, 2008 3:17 PM

I'm not. We needed him last season and the way this line is blocking we'll need him this season. All those gurus who think the sun rises and sets in Foxboro must he having second thoughts when they look at the Patriots' backup QB situation. The Pats would look like geniuses if they'd gotten Collins when he was a free agent.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 8, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

4th wait till the end of the playing week we can talk trade, but I need a RB more then a WR.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 8, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Pulling for Buzbee but how about an update on someone that's supposed to play this year? Springs anyone, anyone seen Shawn Springs?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 8, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

trade campbell to em

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 8, 2008 3:19 PM

nice thought but I don't think the Pats are that stupid! lol

Posted by: Leevi | September 8, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Whos with me??

Posted by: Coco | September 8, 2008 3:17 PM

IF we could get a decent pick (or picks) for Collins, I would actually be all for it. This team isn't going anywhere if Campbell can't do it, Collins isn't here for any long-term purpose, and we're depleted of draft picks next year, might as well.

That said, don't really think the Pats will be jumping at the opportunity.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Trade Collins to the Pats for their #1, and Brady, he's injured now, and they'll be wanting to get rid of him.

Take that #1, and trade that along with Marcus Mason to Arizona for Anquan Boldin, and Darnell Dockett. As well as their #1.

That should fix things.

Posted by: Greg | September 8, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

I have no problem trading Collins if we can get a 2nd or 3rd.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 8, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

rebeep...

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 8, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

"why is nate in the pdx boycotting the blog?
Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2008 3:06 PM "

because nate in the pdx cant hang, he is nothing but a thieving stable boy

Posted by: X-E | September 8, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

4th, what you offering? I got two QBs worth having. Tavaris Jackson and Jake Delhomme.

I need an upgrade at RB and your Turner guy is pretty good ...

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 8, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

FYI from SI's Don Banks

Here's the most puzzling of all aspects to Jason Campbell's struggling transition to the West Coast-style offense that Washington is implementing: The Redskins fourth-year quarterback found his team's leading receiver from 2007 -- tight end Chris Cooley -- just once for seven yards in Thursday night's season-opening loss to the Giants.

That's a trend that better not linger. I can't see Campbell having much success this season in Washington without Cooley being heavily, heavily involved.

Was there any more telling Week 1 picture than that shot of Redskins general manager Vinny Cerrato slumped and leaning way back in his seat in that Giants Stadium suite, a look of dazed disbelief in his always wide eyes? Washington was only trailing New York 13-0 at that point of the first half, but you could almost see the entire Redskins season flashing before Cerrato's eyes.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Dude,

'X-E' really does need to calm down. you mentioned "a thieving stable boy......really? cmon man, your sense of humor is like someone who lives in their mother's basement.

Posted by: PsyChiDude | September 9, 2008 12:25 AM | Report abuse