Alexander's Homecoming Placed on Hold

Jason Reid reports:

Being placed on the season-ending injured reserve list for the Redskins' finale Sunday in San Francisco was particularly disappointing for defensive tackle Lorenzo Alexander, for whom the game was to have been a homecoming.

"It wasn't that it wouldn't come around, but they [the medical staff] were unsure," Alexander said of the hamstring injury he suffered in Sunday's 10-3 victory over Philadelphia at FedEx Field. "Plus, [defensive coordinator Greg] Blache wasn't going to play me because he didn't want me to tear it. There was a high chance of me tearing it, and I'm going home, so I was going to try to play."

Alexander was reared in Oakland and attended the University of California at Berkeley. After playing many roles on defense, offense and special teams last season, Alexander focused on defense this season. His injury occurred while he was in coverage against Eagles All-Pro running back Brian Westbrook in the third quarter Sunday. Westbrook and quarterback Donovan McNabb teamed on a 47-yard reception on the play.
"I wasn't covering him, per se, man-to-man, but that's what it looked like," Alexander said. "We just got caught in a bad defense."

The Reskins are scheduled to play at Oakland next year so Alexander's homecoming has just been postponed, he said.

"It's really disappointing because I had all my family coming out to watch me play," Alexander said. "Now most of them are not going to come to the game since I'm not able to participate. There's always next year against Oakland. Hopefully, I'll be around for that game."

By Cindy Boren  |  December 24, 2008; 12:45 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: This, That and a Poll
Next: Campbell Hopes to Finish with Win

Comments

I don't know if anyone has posted something along the lines of this: Here is who I would like to see start Sunday against SF.

Sit: Kendall Play: Rinehardt
Sit: J. Taylor Play: Rob Jackson
Sit: A. Cater Play: Chris Wilson
Sit: Cooley Play: Fred Davis
Sit: Landry Play: Kareem Moore
Sit: Springs Play: Tryon or Westbrook

Also:
Find a way to get more time for H.B Blades and the Rookie Receiver(s)

If 10 players are going to turn over on this roster we need to find out what we have here. I also think with these 3 young DE's we have (R. Jackson, A. Buzbee, C. Wilson) at least ONE (1) of them can turn into a solid 6-7 sack/a season starting DE for us. Anyone disagree ?

Posted by: slipperyrichard | December 24, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

!!!!!Challenge!!!!!

Its just before the year 2012 opener.

Name 10 current Redskins that will be expected to make an important impact on that team.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 24, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: slipperyrichard | December 24, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

sliprich, I agree it would be interesting to see what these young guys have, its not going to happen. The skins are trying to win this game after the mid/late season slide theyve endured. Vets are teh best chance to win. I dont know if you want to necessarily put all these young guys in now. I suspect some of them are not ready to step in and play against the oppositions starters. If Rhinehart started at guard and looked horrible, it would (a) set fans off about vinny drafting poorly even more (b) possibly set the confidence back of the young player who might turn out to be a good starter if put in when he's ready,not forced to start on short notice.
Tryon over springs? You mean put tryon in at starter? Or work him in as nickel corner? As a starter, he would get torched and his confidence may never recover from being made to look that bad and being instrumental in helping his team lose the game.

Posted by: TonyButterFingersHomo1 | December 24, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

JC
Portis
Moss
Kelly
Thomas
Cooley
Rocky
Blades
Landry
Horton

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 24, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Man, looks like most ppl have a 1/2 day today. NOT ME! off at 3pm. Im off friday and paid for it though!

Posted by: TonyButterFingersHomo1 | December 24, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Slow day, so I'll play...

1. Heyer
2. Montgomery
3. DHall
4. MK12
5. DThomas
6. Rinehart
7. Suisham
8. Rob Jackson
9. HB Blades
10 CR22

Posted by: DaReal4th | December 24, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

ryp11, are these your proposed starters?

Posted by: TonyButterFingersHomo1 | December 24, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

JC agree
Portis (won't last that long)
Moss (won't last that long)
Kelly (no idea if he's even in the league)
Thomas (maybe)
Cooley agree
Rocky if his knees hold up
Blades agree
Landry agree
Horton agree

Posted by: Rypien11

5 agrees, 5 question marks

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 24, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Well, we work to 5:30pm today and Friday (regular time. no get off early or anything).......

Not complaining since I have a job, though.....

Posted by: DaReal4th | December 24, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

No, theyre 'contributors' in 2012... as for starters this weekend I think it should be backups...

As for 2012, I think Kelly and Thomas will be good WRs by then.

Portis and Moss are debateable, but theyll only be 31-32 years old... I think they still will have some miles on them by then. Davis, Carlos, Hall, and Clintons replacement would be others...

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 24, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

1. Heyer maybe, has to improve to be a starter
2. Montgomery maybe, at least he's in the rotation
3. DHall agree, but he's got to sign first
4. MK12 maybe, hasn't shown anything yet
5. DThomas maybe
6. Rinehart hasn't played a play
7. Suisham won't be here
8. Rob Jackson has barely played
9. HB Blades agree
10 CR22 agree

Posted by: DaReal4th

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 24, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Z - Why are you basing your opinions on now? You have to project by 4 years.

So you should state what you think their status would be 4 years from now......

Posted by: DaReal4th | December 24, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

I chose 10 because it seems like we'd want a core group. It tough to find 10 guys that have proven they can play at this level on the current roster that have a good chance of lasting more than 3 years.

My 10:

Rogers
Hall
Horton
Landry
Blades
Golston
Evans
Campbell
Cooley
Plackemeier

Lots of guys are going to fall off in the next few years.

To me, Heyer feels like he won;t make the step to starter. Kelly has been so disappointing that I think he'll go away. Thomas has a chance, by no means certain. Rob Jackson hasn't shown much, so his future isn't clear. Reinhart hasn't even been active most games, so there is nothing to judge him on. Suisham has the worst FG % this year, hard to believe he'll keep his job.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 24, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Z - You're crazy. Heyer can start on alot of teams now........

Posted by: DaReal4th | December 24, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse