Alexander's Ready to Play

Jason La Canfora reports:

Shaun Alexander has been out of football since the end of last season, but says he expects to play Sunday against Cleveland, backing up Clinton Portis.

"That's the plan," Alexander said. "I think I'll be ready."

"It just fits," he said."I'm really excited."

Alexander said he is fully healthy for the first time since 2005 - "for the first time I finally got to heal all the way up," he said - and that when Mitchell called Monday to ask if he was in shape and ready to work out for the Skins, he leaped at the opportunity, getting his three young daughters excited to move here from Seattle.

Alexander was still not healthy this spring, so he said the delay in being signed was not a huge surprise.

"Football is a business, and everyhody had to put their team together," he said. "I had to sit and wait my time that way."

...

Mark Maske is at the owners' meetings in Florida and just posted an intriguing item about the possibility of a spring NFL game.

By Cindy Boren  |  October 15, 2008; 12:22 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Crennel Says Winslow Is Questionable
Next: Plackemeier Brings Aussie Approach

Comments

spring nfl game? huh? like x-mas in july? kinda deal? isn't the superbowl moving closer and closer to spring every year

Posted by: dealer1 | October 15, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

no way!!!! not another friggin exhibition game!

Posted by: dealer1 | October 15, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

ARGGGGGH, so tired of trying to explain things to kool-aid drinking party line swallowing fans. Listen, 3 second round picks are supposed to contribute something right away.....period. There is no way to ignore that fact. Of course if Thomas was being targeted 15 times a game he would have better stats, and the reason he isn't is because right now he isn't better than James freaking Thrash. Stop excusing it by playing a what if game that is irrelevant. At the very worst, Thomas, as the second wideout taken in the draft, and as a high second round pick should be able to beat out James Thrash on the depth chart and get on the field, period. Now of course if Moss, ARE, and Thrash get hurt and he plays out of necessity he will perform better, that's not the point, the point is, as a healthy 2nd round pick he should be able to beat out James Thrash. Davis, as a healthy second round pick should be able to beat out Todd Yoder. Kelly, ignoring the fact that he is hurt with an injury that worried a lot of other teams gets a pass because he's injured. But regardless, there is no other way to look at Thomas and Davis then as major disappointments to date. And if the goal was to draft for depth then we should have used 2nd round picks and told everybody that this immediately up grades positions of need.

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 15, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

And drafting 3 players in the second round with the hope that maybe only one in the near future becomes a starter aint good strategy either.

Whose strategy was this?? Who, where did you read this?? Either provide a link, copy and paste, or you're full of shti.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 15, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abus

Beantown I don't need a link, its common sense, look at the drafted positions, We have a pro bowl starter at TE, your not drafting for a starter there, we have Moss, who isn't gonna go to the bench either, so at best your hoping that either of the two you drafted that one turns into a starter. So do you need me to do the math for you?

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 15, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

+++ Vinny got 2 wide receivers and a tight end, with those 3 picks. Jerry got 1 wide receiver. And thats not even taking into consideration the salary of Roy Williams if they sign him, will FAR out weight the salary of ALL THREE players the Redskins selected.

Posted by: BeantownGreg+++

Since we're comparing stats, shall we compare receptions?

Look, I HATE the freaking 'pokes, probably since before you were born. But one thing I've learned, is that whistling past graveyards doesn't win fubball games.

And anyone not seriously afraid of a receiver corps that includes Jason Whitten, Roy Williams, and a TO you can no longer automatically double cover, just doesn't know football.

Yes, Jones overpaid--but ONLY if the 'pokes don't go to the Superbowl. But his zillion dollar ballpark needs butts in the seats, and Tuna's acquisitions are coming into their own, and he wants to win now.

I HOPE T.O. has a hissy fit, and Pacman retires from football or spits in Goodell's face, but Dallas probably got A LOT better Tuesday by acquiring a still-in-his-prime player who starred for the hapless Lions.

Posted by: TheCork | October 15, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Sorry 4th, I can't let this pass, why shouldn't a sports journalist be an investigative journalist. That makes no sense. Their aren't issues/controversies/social significance/money related to sports that would require/demand the 4th estate/good/investigative journalism....huh? That mazes zero sense....

Dick Schapp just threw up in his mouth in his grave when you typed that....

Posted by: chrislarry | October 15, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Alexander will have success this year because like in his hayday in Seattle we're going to run left.

"Alexander said his ties to Jim Zorn, Stump Mitchell, Chris Samuels (a college teammate) and Portis (they became friends at a Pro Bowl) made the Redskins an obvious choice for him."

I think sadly we were the only choice.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 15, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

and i couldn't let this go unseen:

Ram wake up gives Hope!
Skins' defense must hash Browns' O,
Suisham wins close game

Posted by: HaikuMan | October 15, 2008 12:28 PM

Posted by: dealer1 | October 15, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

You know I read alot of post complaining about Malcom Kelley and his new problems that he had. Rocky Mac had the same issues coming out of college and look how he turned out, my point is give the dude some time. Rocky has turned out to be one of our best defenders and this is his 3rd year, hopefully Malcom can contribute as much on offense as Rocky does on Defense.

Posted by: GreatOne1 | October 15, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Obvious choice for him? You write that or he says that like people were beating down his door. NOBODY WANTED THIS BUM.

He made stops in Cinci who signed Cedric Benson, New Orleans who thought Pierre Thomas represented better value and Detroit who also passed.

Lets stop spinning this like he was highly sought after, when in fact nobody wanted this Soft Bum.

Posted by: keino83 | October 15, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

i just don't want him fumbling the ball all over the place.

Posted by: dealer1 | October 15, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

I am willing to give Kelly time.....on IR to heal. We need the roster spot. Kelly get healthy, learn, study and come back next year like the playa we know you can be!

Posted by: chrislarry | October 15, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

I said, Malcolm gets a pass for now, and I fully agree the jury is out on whether this was a good draft or not, I'm not debating that, but I don't understand how anybody can debate that to date it is a major disappointment and that we are all in the wait and see boat when there are several teams good and bad getting major contributions from several draft picks.

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 15, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

meant to say knee problems not new problems

Posted by: GreatOne1 | October 15, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

zj, you said, "And drafting 3 players in the second round with the hope that maybe only one in the near future becomes a starter aint good strategy either", now I'm again asking you WHO SAID THIS WAS THEIR STRATEGY?? Either name a name, or just fess up, and say you made that crap up.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 15, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

"ARGGGGGH, so tired of trying to explain things to kool-aid drinking party line swallowing fans."

It's easy to try and dumb down people who oppose your views...I could just as easily say your completely in the tank regarding our front office being incompetent: to such an extent that despite a 4-2 start against a difficult schedule in a tough division, and a playoff appearance a year before, all you want to do is bash the front office for what you view to be a lousy draft when said draft was THIS YEAR, and any expert will tell you that you need years to properly assess players from a draft.

I guess I'm with Beantown on this. I just tire of all the "Vinnie sucks, Snyder sucks" talk in the face of early season success, built upon a playoff season a year before...DESPITE losing arguably our best defensive player to a tragic death the year before, DESPITE our coach abruptly quitting last year in the offseason, leaving the front office to scramble for a coach...DESPITE the current D coordinator's desire to retire last year (it was Snyder that convinced Greg to stay)...and DESPITE losing their starting DE, who is also a team leader, the first day of camp.

When they are losing, and nothing is working, the sharks understandably smell blood in the water. Right now though, you're REACHING for criticism, when you should be applauding the organizations efforts given we look like we have as much of a chance as anybody to win this thing. Given all that, whose really drinking the kool-aid?

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | October 15, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 15, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Beantown, asked and answered, don't need a link, didn't hear it from anybody, didn't need Danny or Vinny to tell me this, I'm able to look at the roster, look at how many people can play on the field at the same time and do the math to figure out that we have a pro bowl starter at TE, a pro bowl WR, and a guy better suited for slot opposite him. They were drafting to improve the talent behind Moss and Cooley and hoping one guy turned into a starter at WR. It aint that hard to understand that.

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 15, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Colston, Boldin, Fitz, Plax, Marshall, Bowe, Harrison, Wayne

zj, how many of those guys STARTED right away??

I'd venture to guess that the MAJORITY of them did.

Posted by: BeantownGreg

Those guys were catching balls and making plays as rookies because they were good, and as a result of being good, they were starting.

They were not catching balls and making plays because they were starting, and as a result became good. It doesn't work that way.

Say what you want about potential for the future, that sure is still out there, but for right now our 2nd rounders are extremely underwhelming. That really can't be argued.

Posted by: psps23 | October 15, 2008 12:37 PM

Posted by: psps23 | October 15, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | October 15, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

I'm not certain of this, but my understanding is if Kelly goes on IR, he can not practice. By being inactive, he still gets to work with the team and mature.

Posted by: frediefritz | October 15, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | October 15, 2008 12:36 PM

Tend to agree on the roster spot ... and wondering whether the waiver wires or free agency have a hungry punt returner out there for us up here.

Also, given that Hamilton DID make the roster (where he could steal paychecks ... steal them in the mouth), I'm wondering whether he doesn't get picked back up for the practice squad assuming he clears waivers ... maybe scooting out Richardson or LBW (Lil Bro Westbrook) ... [yes, I know, Hamilton is a safety and the other two are corners, but they are all DBs.]

Posted by: dcsween | October 15, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

beeped? already?

Posted by: dcsween | October 15, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

So you made that crap up. Good thanks for coming clean on that.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 15, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

I haven't seen much of Kelly to make an assessment. What I have seen of Thomas is a player who is physical and opposing to a DB. Mind you, he must channel it and gain a better mental grasp of routes and the game but that can come. There's a whole host of WR's who've come out more touted than Kelly & Thomas. Zorn even said from day 1 that their impact would come later. Problem is he said it while disclosing "the why" and it's "the why" that some of us fans are stuck on and passing judgment.

Posted by: gregskins | October 15, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

History shows that you should not draft a WR in expecting him to contribute immediately. There are a few exceptions but generally WR's take 2-3 years to develop. Braylon Edwards is a prime example. He showed flashes, but not much production in his first year, got better in his 2nd year and blew up in his 3rd.
That's what we should be looking for with Devin Thomas, granted we haven't seen too many flashes yet either. Kelly needs to pi$$ or get off the pot. They can't afford to have him occupying a roster spot when they need help at receiver now.

Posted by: Original_etrod | October 15, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: shaunsherman12

All this started because I defended JLC and in that defense I said he was right to criticize this franchise at times. I said look at his posts last week and see they were all very positive, and this week they aren't as positive because we lost at home to a winless team and that a draft pick out of what is looking like a disappointing draft played a big role in that loss. Beantown decided to jump on that and say this has been a good draft. I don't know if it is or isn't yet, but I do know it has to date been a major disappointment. The team however has not, I would have killed for 4-2 looking at our schedule early on, and I'm thrilled to be where we are. I'm not angry or upset, and I'm happy we are where we are, doesn't change my feeling on the draft and our need for some production from our draft picks, but I give Vinny all the credit in the world for the Zorn hire, if nothing else comes out of this year, that is enough.

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 15, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Chief, get your friggin facts clear up, ok??

"Beantown decided to jump on that and say this has been a good draft"

I said that you need 3 years before you judge a draft.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 15, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Reggie Wayne is a perfect example of a WR thrown in the fire and not immediately producing. He's a stud now. Roddy White is another one in Atlanta who now seems to be "getting" it.

Posted by: gregskins | October 15, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

AS IF coming here was inevitable?

I don't like this one bit. So much for continuity.

I bet Zorn was just waiting for the opportunity to build "his team."

Posted by: Xlnt | October 15, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

ANYONE KNOW IF JANSEN OR HEYER WILL BE STARTING THIS WEEKEND?

Posted by: marleyb313 | October 15, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

wide recievers take longer than any other position to come into their own ...... they are rarely covered man to man in college, and certainly not by atheletes that are as gifted as themselves.

alexander .... weak ??? soft ??? get real .....

Posted by: billbogue | October 15, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse