Am I The Only One Who Thinks This Is Weird??

Okay, too much time on my hands waiting for the start of practice today, so I'm staring at the roster and, Eureka!, it hits me.

The Skins have 90 dudes on the roster right now, and 12 of them have the same last name. Well, better put, there are six sets of two players with the same last name. Odd, right? All of the last names are pretty common, but still, this seems out of the ordinary:

Wilson - Chris and Bryan (and they had Rian Wilson also, before cutting him Monday)

Campbell - Khary and Jason (this one dates back the last 3 years, but still)

Thomas - Randy and Devin

Washington - Marcus and Tavares

Jackson - Eddie and Rob

Davis - Fred and Tommy

And, there's still potential for more. With one Brown, Carter, Clark, James and Rogers also on the roster, we could see more of this as the season goes on. Gotta run to practice now but I'll check a few other rosters around the league when I get a chance and see if this is indeed and eerie phenomenon.

By Jason La Canfora  |  June 5, 2008; 10:59 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Don't Tip The Valet
Next: Portis, Fabini Miss OTA (Updated)

Comments

FIRST ! ! ! OMFG!!!!!! BFD!!!!

Posted by: first is lame | June 5, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

WOW... REALLY SLOW DAY?

Who you got in the Euro08 JLC?

Posted by: Go Skins Go | June 5, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Oh and how about the wings game yesterday. Crazy finish. A lot of fun to watch. Glad the #@$# pens are out.

Lets GO CAPS.

Posted by: Go Skins Go | June 5, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Oh and taking max-gain, and ending up like Red-boat.

Thats gotta hurt

Posted by: Greg | June 5, 2008 9:03 AM

Hell, no big deal about Redboat and his problem, since he caused it. The real victim in that case is his poor girlfriend, Redthroat.

Posted by: ... | June 5, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

wow great report. exhilarating.

Posted by: rockfish | June 5, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Am I The Only One Who Thinks This Is Weird??

By Jason La Canfora | June 5, 2008; 10:59 AM ET

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Are you suggesting the Skins might pick up Charles Rogers? Or perhaps LeBron James?

Posted by: Joe in Raleigh | June 5, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

[waiting for someone to say something about Johnsons...]

-Nate in the PDX

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Don't forget "The Rabachs"

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

It was my worst fear of the day. Actually, my worst fear is that the group of anonymous posters will end up in a huge crowd down my street doing the Thriller dance toward me.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 5, 2008 10:25 AM

The Awards Committee is pleased to announce that the "Excellence in Blogging - Visual Imagery" has been awarded for the month of June. While it is early in the month, the Committee believes that excellence should be awarded as quickly as possible.

Congratulations, Brownwood26! Excellent job!

Since it is too late to award you with an all-expenses paid trip to the June Shabingus, we have decided to award you with 100,000 bonus points instead, which you can use is any way you wish. The Committee hopes you find a good use for these during the warm days of summer.

Once again, Congratulations and Great work, Brownwood!

Posted by: Awards Committee | June 5, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

I think much "weirder" is the multiple variations of Rock on the team.

Last names are common place.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

I personally always like the more Platonic style of virtue, which was Wisdom, Courage, Moderation and Justice.
Posted by: | June 5, 2008 11:32 AM

And Beer.

Posted by: A Bell for Anon-o | June 5, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

With the most recent bonus points being awarded, I would like to take this moment to remind my Redskin Insider buddies that points can be redeemed for priceless advice and commentary from Barno himself. These session are available in 30 minute increments.

Posted by: Barno | June 5, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

These session are available in 30 minute increments.

Posted by: Barno | June 5, 2008 11:37 AM

Second prize is one hour increments....

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Sounds more like a boobie prize

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

I am sure some of you would love my boobies, but they are not available.

Posted by: Barno | June 5, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

So I was looking at the stats on the roster and you know what I found amazing. All 90 players have 10 fingers and 10 toes...
Also each has two eyes a mouth and two ears.

Posted by: Alex35332 | June 5, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Who do people like in the game tonight? Celts, or Lakers?

Posted by: Greg | June 5, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Also each has two eyes a mouth and two ears.

Posted by: Alex35332 | June 5, 2008 11:46 AM

And NONE of the 90 have gay moments in the locker room.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Head says LA. But my hart says to stay with the East Coast.

Posted by: Alex35332 | June 5, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Is Stewart Schweigert a Redskin - It was reported all over the Raiders Station here in CA.

Posted by: Nobody | June 5, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

And NONE of the 90 have gay moments in the locker room.

Posted by: | June 5, 2008 11:47 AM

Read Cooley's Blog some time. They have some, not like they are making out or anything, but still.

Posted by: Alex35332 | June 5, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Somebody | June 5, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nobody | June 5, 2008 11:48 AM

He is on the roster. It is yet to be determined, however, if he is a Redskin.

Posted by: Barno | June 5, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Yes Nobody I think he is, if thats how its spelled.

Posted by: Alex35332 | June 5, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Thank you to the Awards Committee for this honor...I'd like to thank God first and foremost, my family, friends and my fellow bloggers...this is a great honor!

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 5, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

By the way, what do I do with these bonus points?

Oh, and Greg--I've got L.A. in 6. Kobe won't be denied.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 5, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Thank You. Good Day Gents.

Posted by: Nobody | June 5, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

...trying my best to hate the anon posters and not the blog itself...

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 5, 2008 11:25 AM

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 5, 2008 11:50 AM

Brownie......is it possible to hate others and still be a follower of God?! Why the pretense?

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Good golly, it sure does feel like Friday, doesn't it?

Wishful thinking, I know. But still.

-Nate in the PDX

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Best Thread of the Year!

I'm serious...
Jasno said "F you (and Chris Larry), here's your 'Inside' information."

Love it.

Posted by: Dorf | June 5, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

brown, we'll have to see. If Odom, or Gasol steps up, then I'll give you that.

I think that Odom could be a tough match up for the Celtics. He'll probably be covered by Kendrick Perkins, who is more of a low post defender. While Odom is more of a 15 foot shooter.

Pierce held his own defending against Bron, so I think that Kobe is going to have to WORK to get his points. Not saying he wont get them, but he's going to earn them.

If Ray-ray can continue with the hot hand, and Garnett just bring his usual double-double, then the Celtics will be hard to cover.

Posted by: Greg | June 5, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: | June 5, 2008 11:53 AM

Which God?

Jewish God- Yes if Justified.
Muslim God- Yes if Justified.
Hindi God-Yes if Justified, I think.
Buddhist God- I don't think so, but I admit to not being an expert on asian cultures and religions other then what they taught me in college 101.
Shinto God- No clue.
Christian God- No, but they do it anyway.

Posted by: Alex35332 | June 5, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Boobies? Dammit, did I miss boobies?

Posted by: I Like Boobies | June 5, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Luke 14:26 (NIV)

"If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters--yes, even his own life--he cannot be my disciple."

Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society
[NIV at IBS] [International Bible Society] [NIV at Zondervan] [Zondervan]

Posted by: Scriptures out of context can prove points | June 5, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

...And the player/front office duality of Brown (Kerry and Morocco).

...And the coaching triumvirate of Smith (Sherman, Danny, and Arthur).

- 4-12

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

When is the Post going to assign a football guy -- a person who also knows and likes the Skins -- to cover the team? JLC is hopeless. Any Skins beat reporter would have a long list of good stories to write... JLC stares at the roster and "brainstorms" about names. Give me a freakin break! Hockey, soccer, his kid, Morroco Brown! I can't stand it.

And, btw, all you holes out there, don't bother to complain about my anon posts... go get your donkey doors checked instead.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: | June 5, 2008 11:53 AM

Yes, actually it is. If you know someone who can follow EVERYTHING that God says ALL THE TIME, then show me that person because I'd love to shake their hand.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 5, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

"Am I The Only One Who Thinks This Is Weird??"

The only people who think this is weird are folks with last names like "LaCanfora". Now, if the Washington Post Company had two employees named LaCanfora who were not related, it would be pretty damn weird. But the Smiths, Jones, Johnsons and Andersons of the world are used to this kind of stuff.

Posted by: Alias Smith and Jones | June 5, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

there's no such thing as god. grow up.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: | June 5, 2008 12:11 PM

Your anonymity isn't the problem; your stupidity is. If you don't like LaCanfora's comments, DON'T READ THEM!

Posted by: Al Anon | June 5, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Beep Beep!

Posted by: roadrunner | June 5, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Hey tool --
I said the Post ought to get a new Skins beat reporter... that's different than choosing to read or not read dorkus' dribble. You have enuf donkeypower between your ears to comprehend that?

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: | June 5, 2008 11:53 AM

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 5, 2008 12:12 PM

I agree, brownie, there is noone who can follow everything that God say all the time. The inherent problem, is that you are willfully going against God's will by "trying my best to hate the anon posters and not the blog itself".

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

I said the Post ought to get a new Skins beat reporter...?

Posted by: | June 5, 2008 12:23 PM

As usual, you're not smart enough to figure out that isn't going to happen. So go to Plan B and stop reading the blog. Your quality of life will be much better (and so will ours).

Don't like that response? Too bad. STFU.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Which God?

Posted by: Alex35332 | June 5, 2008 12:00 PM

There's your problem, Alex

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Don't like that response? Too bad. STFU

What a riot, you (a pathetic blog toady) calling me stupid! If it helps you compensate, you go gurl!

You know "it isn't going to happen" because why... reporters are never replaced? right. what world do you live in? are you a govt employee?

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

and, btw, i doubt u'd have the courage to say STFU to me in person, so I guess that makes you a blog puss.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

so...is he a blog puss or a cyberbully?!

Oh the ambiguity of it all!

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

definitely a blog puss, a fear biter.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: | June 5, 2008 12:42 PM

I'd say it to your face, but you wouldn't show up to hear it.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

I'd say it to your face, but you wouldn't show up to hear it.

Posted by: | June 5, 2008 12:55 PM

ur on puss! (i need u to sign a waiver that covers broken bones) tell me where u work. all ur co-workers can c what a puss u r.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: | June 5, 2008 12:36 PM

The biggest problem you whiny, entitled types have is this concept that anyone is really listening to you to influence their decisions. Sure, you get lots of lip service from those in the service fields, but then they laugh at you when you turn your back. Smart people figure it out, stop their incessant whining, and take control of the parts of their lives they actually control, leaving the rest to fade away. For the not-too-bright, constant carping just makes them miserable and bitter in the long run.

Have fun in life thinking your tiny voice makes a difference.

Posted by: ... | June 5, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

don't go away or chicken out, puss. i have to run an errand. i'll be back in 20 min. i want to know who u r, where u work, and when u'll be there. i don't often get to dish out justice to big mouths. don't forget, u'll have to sign a waiver.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Must be recess...

Posted by: Gabe Kotter | June 5, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

You're a jerk.

Posted by: | Anon 1

Yeah, well you're a bigger jerk.

Posted by: | Anon 2

Yeah, tell me where you are and I'll come sock you one. But first I have to run to the gay store and pick up some more gay.

Posted by: | Who cares

Posted by: Hiding Behind My Computer | June 5, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Have fun in life thinking your tiny voice makes a difference.

Posted by: ... | June 5, 2008 1:02 PM

i'm back, puss. u still haven't told me where u work or live so i can come over and visit.

re ur last post... now i understand. u think u know who i am... whiney and entitled. u think u've got it figured out. what type r u? Let me guess. u think ur smarter than everyone else, but whiney, entitled people have not given u your due. so, ur stuck in a crummy job, with an ugly wife, and bratty kids who don't appreciate u. but, deep inside, when u r able to quell your fear of life, u tell ur-self that ur terrific. what really upsets u is when people speak out of turn, fail to follow the rules, and succeed. LOSER!

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: | Who cares

Posted by: Hiding Behind My Computer | June 5, 2008 1:22 PM

Gay store? Obsessed so much with all things gay that u throw in references to gay this and gay that even when it makes no sense? Come out of the closet, gay boy. we won't laugh. really, it's ok.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

You're as predictable as sunrise.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

u reading ur cereal box again? lemme guess. in mom's basement eating cereal.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Let me take a crack at a lame simile cliche...
1. Ur as predictable as ... (wait that was yours)
2. Ur as dumb as a box of rocks.
3. Ur as gay as the gay store (yours too, sorry)
4. Ur as whiney as the sunrise

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Good one. I doff my cap to you sir, having been ripped asunder by your rapier wit. Now go run an errand and tell us all about it.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

ok, pusses. ur all silent... as u should be. i gotta go. do me a favor and try not to waste your pathetic lives on this inane blog.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Pretty sure Rian "Wilson"'s last name is Wallace. So that would ruin your little fun fact of the day.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 6, 2008 8:54 PM | Report abuse