An Opportunity To Do Good, Maybe

Scott, one of our blog regulars, is pitching an idea to the Redskins for what sounds to me like an exceptional charitable endeavor, and I thought I would post a little bit of his proposal here to see if it's something people would be into. He's done a great job with this, so I'm going to step out of the way and let Scott take over. Here's a sample from the proposal he submitted to the Skins:

Monday, September 25 2006, marked the return of the Saints to their football home, the Louisiana Superdome. Tragically, despite the nearly eighty thousand raucous fans who welcomed their beloved squad back into their city and the millions of Americans who watched at home in solidarity, many New Orleans residents could not fully savor the moment. These Saints fans are still exiled: hopeless, helpless, and longing to return to their beloved city.

In the spirit of the Saints emotional return to New Orleans, and inspired by the selfless volunteer efforts of Americans through Habitat for Humanity, the Washington Redskins (would) mark their return to New Orleans by bringing along hundreds from the Redskins family to spend a week volunteering in New Orleans with Habitat for Humanity. Redskin's fans, season ticket holders, cheerleaders and alumni (would) use the week leading up to the Redskins/Saints game on December 17th as an opportunity to embrace the city of New Orleans by building new homes in the devastated upper ninth ward portion of the city.

The Redskins Mission to New Orleans , sponsored by The Washington Redskins, (would) give Redskins fans, who are eager to help with the New Orleans reconstruction efforts, an opportunity to do hands-on community service while supporting their beloved football team. Fans who partake in the mission (would) not only create a lifelong bond with the people of New Orleans , but they (would) also strengthen their ties to the Redskins organization by working arm-in-arm with others in the extended Redskins family. Redskins fans who partake in The Mission (would) also receive complimentary tickets to the Redskins/Saints game on December 17 th.

Sounds like a pretty noble idea to me. Scott figured any exposure to the potential project couldn't hurt, and I agreed. What do you guys think? Would people be into it?

By Jason La Canfora  |  October 26, 2006; 9:00 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rumors, Rumors
Next: The Defense Rests, Rolls Over and Falls Asleep

Comments

I think the WP deleted the wrong blog. What happened to all the comments???

Posted by: 4th Floor | October 26, 2006 12:33 PM | Report abuse

We made the Front Page of ESPN.com Football's site. Of course the article is not all that flaterring though......

Posted by: 4th Floor | October 26, 2006 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Noble idea, but that effort should be made inside DC or in close-in suburbs where hundreds of poor, underhoused Redskin fans and others wait for slim chance to move to better housing. Vacant old houses in parts of DC area and close in burbs need upgrading just as much as some in N.O. More cost-effective to take such a big budget and direct it locally, leaving a legacy of better housing for all who need it, not just for Saints' fans in N.O.

Posted by: Skins Fan for Life | October 26, 2006 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, it looks like the post deleted the wrong copy of the thread (the one that had all the responses).

Here's the link to the blog I started about the potential mission:

Posted by: Scott (DC) | October 26, 2006 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Too many threads in a short period of time after a long period of time with little thread action. I am lost and befuddled, wanting to thank aunt megskin for her critical analysis and Scott(DC) for his heart and not just talking the talk.
Good form megskin:
As I am a man of faith, I believe in the good Lord's ability to answer prayers that are offered to him in faith. Before I go Joe Gibbs on you, just know that the prayer on my heart is for my brother in Iraq, but added to that prayer now will be for BenchMark to shatter his femur. Nothing personal Mark, but megskin convinced me that you taking one for the team would indeed be better for the team if history repeats itself.

Scott (DC) I have a wedding I am going to in Athens, GA that weekend and am using the rest of my personal days to do that. Sadly, as a teacher I only get 2 months of vacation time... but it is restricted solely to the months of July and August. Perhaps a trip down to the Big Easy then is in order. Thanks for reminding us that things still need a lot of work down there.

Posted by: Dorf | October 26, 2006 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Great idea, and I don't think it's an either/or deal with DC homes. I think the DC homes project could come at a later date. Let this one role. People take competition to seriously, and it would create some excellent bonds between the organization that would be nothing but healthy for all involved, from individuals receiving the gift of service to the football teams themselves.

Posted by: Gregarious | October 26, 2006 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Hey 4th Floor, I tried to respond to you on the post they deleted but obviously it's gone. So, um...

Thanks for your question. Yes, reports of my femaleness were greatly exaggerated. I am indeed a male (I hesitate to say man because some might argue the fact). And, yes, this has been covered on the blog previously.

Apparently, that puts me somewhere around # 79 on the Official Redskins Insider Heartbreaker List, just behind perennial number 1 Megskin, number 2 Cindy, and the entire Redskins organization (including the owner, the de facto GM, coaches, and players for their crappy season).

I just wish I were on the list for reasons other than my mistaken identity...

Posted by: MV Dame | October 26, 2006 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Hey there, finally getting to check in the blog with Chloe's nap coming way later than usual and us having to make a pit stop in The Post to drop off expenses.
Is this crappy thing eating people's responses again, or have we lost our mojo?
I'll look into it.
Thanks.
Also planning on posting a new entry in a fwe minutes here.

Posted by: Jason La Canfora | October 26, 2006 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Forgot to tell you all this. ArtMonktotheSticks called me last night and told me he was walking around near Gary Clark's restaurant and Chic Hernandez was walking by. He was with a mocha skinned stunner, apparently. AMTTS will give you the lowdown later but I thought that dude was married. And don't post nonsense about "Just because he's walking down the street with a mocha-skinned beautifull baby blahblahblah" My dawgs in the housssse know what I'm talkin about, SON!

(whisper voice) booyakashot.

Posted by: The Governor | October 26, 2006 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Is this crappy thing eating people's responses again,

There were three AOTGMs at one point. The one with all the comments got deleted.

Posted by: Megskin | October 26, 2006 1:56 PM | Report abuse

The Governor

No doubt son. I know what you are talking about. lol

Posted by: jm220 | October 26, 2006 2:04 PM | Report abuse

jm220 is my boy.

Ruff ruff ruff!

Posted by: The Governor | October 26, 2006 2:14 PM | Report abuse

I say come on down, we could use the help! Seriously, the more people who see what we are STILL going through down here, the better. Traveling around the country, I am starting to get the feeling like the memories of Katrina are beginning to fade. We are in desperate need of help down here, even 14 months later. Even the wealthier neighborhoods are no where close to being back to normal. Not to say New Orleans has ever been normal, but you get my drift.

Posted by: Skins Fan in New Orleans | October 26, 2006 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Skins Fan in New Orleans
Fam if Scott can make it happened.(and no doubt that he will) You have my word I will be there.

Posted by: jm220 | October 26, 2006 4:59 PM | Report abuse

I was in New Orleans for 9 months post Katrina helping setup a free community health clinic. I was just back for a week last week. It's great that people want to help rebuild the Lower Ninth Ward, as an example. It is STILL neglected by the government and the utility companies, and the residents are discouraged from returning. They only got electricty 3 months ago! (last of all the neighborhoods).
However, it is important to take the lead from the residents. Make sure we do what they want us to do in their neighborhoods, not what we we think is best.
Just as important here in Washington, to light a fire under our government's feet to stop their foot dragging on getting the promised relief to the people affected by the disaster.

Posted by: Scott W | October 26, 2006 11:22 PM | Report abuse