An Unrestricted Look at Linebacker

Jason Reid talks about Marcus Washington's injury and H.B. Blades' role with linebackers coach Kirk Olivadotti.

...

Jason La Canfora reports:

Chris Horton may be NFL's defensive rookie of the month, but at the end of the day, he's still just a rookie. The award won't change his status in the locker room.

Taped boundries on the floor mark Horton's territory -- his locker is tucked between those of Cornelius Griffin and LaRon Landry -- and he knows to stay within that area, taking the ribbing from the vets in stride.

"Cornelius told me, 'Hey, rookie, stay in between the white lines,' " Horton said.

As for the award, Horton said: "I just want to stay consistent."

...

Jason Taylor will address the media after practice with an update on his calf injury. We are unsure at this point how much he will do today.

By Cindy Boren  |  October 2, 2008; 12:13 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Horton Named NFL Rookie of the Month
Next: Blache Raves about Rogers

Comments

Do any of the other rookies have boundary lines or is Horton the

First!

Posted by: talent_evaluator | October 2, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

As for the award, Horton said: "I just want to stay consistent."

Rookie mistake...It's "stay medium".

Posted by: 4-12 | October 2, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

CP26 is a beast its amazing some poeple here dont get it. When it rains the ground gets wet. When you change your running style from an outside stretch runner to an inside power guy, gaining 20 pouds in the process your going to lose a step not to mention hes not a exactly a spring chicken anymore, this is when backs start slowing up and depending more on their experience. The other aspects that he bring to the RB position cannot be understated, he is second to none when you compare everything thats has to be done to be an all around RB.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 2, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

It's amazing to me that you don't get that you just repeated what dealer and I said.

He's not the home run hitter he used to be but he's good at other things. Geeze people lighten up. Next I'm going to have to hear that I'm not a true skins fan...

Posted by: Gweez | October 2, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Just dont get it why would you say a statement like hes lost a step. Did you assume he was going to gain a step? Thats is a serious question are you saying that he lost a step to emphasis what a good pass blocker he is. I just dont know why you would state an obviously pointless comment. Heres some more carlos has bad hands, Moss is fast. But really i would like to know what started the portis thing.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 2, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27 | October 2, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

From PFT,

It is falling apart in Little D

PACMAN, COWBOYS SQUABBLE OVER LIVING ARRANGEMENTS
Posted by Mike Florio on October 2, 2008, 10:48 a.m. EDT
In the wake of Wednesday’s story regarding the manner in which the Cowboys have shut down all efforts by cornerback Pacman Jones to do some of the non-football things that made certain members of the Dallas teams of the 1990s legendary, a league source tells us that Jones is trying to move out of his Cowboys-issued apartment.

In turn, the Cowboys are trying their darnedest to keep Pacman in place.

And so the situation continues to remind us of the manner in which Mike Tyson was handled. Those who stood to make a buck off Tyson’s boxing skills aimed at protecting Tyson from himself, and they generally succeeded (but for an unfortunate incarceration arising from that rape charge) until he no longer was crapping golden eggs and/or biting ears. Left to his own devices, Tyson became even more of a cartoonish caricature.

The same thing will happen to Pacman. The Cowboys will do what they can to keep him out of trouble, they’ll do nothing to change his desire to engage in activities that can lead to trouble, and then when he’s no longer able to play football at a high level (or when they grow weary of babysitting him) he’ll be on his own.

Until he’s in a cell.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 2, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

They just said on ESPN that Taylor is likely to miss Sunday.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 2, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Scamp,

Thanks.

Stu,

Uh, sorry for having an opinion and posting it. I forgot we were on a message board where that kinda thing is frowned upon???

From now on I suggest you skip past my posts as inane, stupid and obvious posts are sorta my forte.

Posted by: Gweez | October 2, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Saw the NFL.com game of the week for Us vs Cowpies.

Somewhere after minute 7, first TD of the 2nd half for Tony Romo, and his fatal flaw is unearthed.

He belives his own hype more than any cowboys fan or analyst.

He said after the came down the filed with ease...

'They're done... they are tired. We can do whatever we want to them now....'

Smug, cocky SOB. He deserves what little glimmer of hope he has to be great and watch it fall in on himself.

Posted by: Zeebs | October 2, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abu

Posted by: Zeebs | October 2, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

skinz/gweez....I love the varied opinions, loathe real fan debate....keep it up!

Posted by: chrislarry | October 2, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

And Dik, I wasnt saying ITA... you said something in a post about Zebras making a ball call or something... and i replied "I did what now"..... get it, it was a joke... thanks for killing it buddy ;)

Posted by: Zeebs | October 2, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Interesting...Yoder from Cooley's blog:

Hi Redskins fans, its Yoder back for another edition of Yode's corner. Today I stumbled into deep thoughts about the Redskins helmet logo. I have played with the team for 3 years and I just realized I know nothing about the man on our helmets. The first thing to pop into my head was, I wonder if the logo man has a name? I began to ask around to try to dig up all the information that I could on the subject and didn't have much luck. Maybe you fans could help out and if you have something please write and let us know.

There are so many questions I have about the logo. Does anyone know who designed it? Is it modeled after a real person? Is the man in the logo a Chief, a warrior, a medicine man, or just a regular member of a tribe? All these questions and no answers. I think the one topic that needs the most attention is, does he have a name. And if not, why don't we ask around to find out what everyone thinks. Lets all team up and work together and name logo man.

I thought that Mr. Redskin would be a good starting point. That was so general, plain Jane, and has no spark or excitement. Maybe Chief Touchdown would be a suitable fit. I decided to get so help from others and Colt Brennan came up with "Chief Running Pig" which fits since our O line is nicknamed "The Hogs." Plus the Hoggets still come to games, and we have been known the run the football.

Maybe we could call him "Twelve Braves" to symbolize 11 players and the crowd, kind of our version of the 12th man. But please, give us input and I will continue this story later this week with more ideas from players, coaches, and staff.

Thanks, Yoder

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 2, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

RPRT? We've seen Smoot & Double Move RPRT and they've come up with the clap. It takes innate talent to corral a ball bouncing through space. Horton had to reach out and GET IT!

And he has a great head on his shoulders.

Hail Horton!

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 2, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Until he’s in a cell.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 2, 2008 12:29 PM

What'll they do with him UNTIL he plays at a high level?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 2, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Can do. BTW the sun is rather hot.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 2, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Can't play the video at work....can anyone sum up what Jreid says about M. Washington's injury and Blades?

Posted by: dlhaze1 | October 2, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Scamp,

Thanks.

Stu,

Posted by: Gweez | October 2, 2008 12:31 PM

Didn't want to disappoint you. (I hope you realize I was being sarcastic, I would never question one's fandom) I actually like Capt. Obvious posts sometimes because at times I am Mr. Oblivious.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 2, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

thanks for straightening me out scamp. i don't know what i was thinking. you also reminded me of a time when my cousin brought his new girlfriend to a family party and she had the nerve to actually wear a dawkins jersey. we gave her hell for it, and needless to say, we never saw her again.

Posted by: braker19cleartheline | October 2, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: braker19cleartheline | October 2, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: braker19cleartheline | October 2, 2008 12:29 PM

I'm here to help you folks.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 2, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze1 | October 2, 2008 12:39 PM

Basically says Washington has had hammie problems for the last couple seasons. Says that nothing heals hammie's but time. Says H.B. is filling in pretty well although he isn't the physical talent that Washington is. It gives HB the time to get some reps and they'll take what they can get from Washington when they can get it.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 2, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

uhh...I, such as, am the very not observant, like the Iraq. Such As.

...maps.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 2, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

As I posted on Cooleys blog, there is a history to that logo, its a real indian chief if you read the redskins encyclopedia his name and history are in there pg 87 according to Amazon.com

Posted by: alex35332 | October 2, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Yeh - you'd think they'd have a copy of the Encyclopedia in the player lounge, no?

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 2, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Medicine man? Really, Yoda? I hope that was said in jest.

He's a mighty warrior.

And his dignified demeanor belies the humiliation of being called "redskin."

There, I said it.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 2, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Mike Quick says that he thinks Westbrook will play says he is still having trouble cutting in practice.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 2, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

The people on cooleys blog who said its Chief Zee piss me off to no end. don;t ask me why.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 2, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

I think Yoder posting that on Cooley's blog is just asking for a PR nightmare.

*Cue the natives*

I don't think it's anything wrong with having a little fun with debating the logo, but it's well known how some people feel about the logo and team name.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 2, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Moved from the last topic:

SG, yer an idiot. LaVar has only himself and his moron of an agent (who ended up being fined or suspended by the NFLPA for the way he Fed up LaVar's deal) to blame for the 6.5 mil debacle.

Lavar is out of the game because a) he blew out his achilles the first game he played w/ the Gints, and b) laid his rocket down on an onramp to the Beltway.

Danny. Danny has always been a fan first. Grew up middle class in Silver Spring with his share of regalia in his closet and on his bedroom wall. Fast forward 20 years and he is a half billionaire and leverages a deal to buy the team form Little Cooke. He wants to win, he wants to win now, but doesn't know how. He was willing to spend the bucks to get players in here to try and win and win now. It never came together. He was like one of those yap yap dogs running around every which way throwing cash at over the hill FA like itwas going out of style. A debacle, to be sure, but not for a lack of wil lto win and not be goes he is a miserly tight wad. In a stoke of fortuitous genious, he rehires St Joe to come in and right the ship and MOST IMPORTANTLY teach him how to run an NFL team where winning is the only option. We could do a LOT LOT LOT worse than having Mr Dan Snyder as an owner. Davis? Bidwell? Ford? Whoever took over for Frontierre?

From where i sit as a lifelong fan, Snyder and Cerrato have made ALL the right moves this offseason INCLUDING keeping every last draft pick... and I don't think that was actually dictated to Zorn. Punter? Even at WORST and i see it as a definite upgrade. (JLC was just pissed because he lost a lockerroom tattle tale). WR corps? Upgrade. Yeah the rookies have struggled with injuries but they are an upgrade to the overall roster. TE Davis is an upgrade to the roster. Rinehart is a good pick who is an upgrade over a 10 year journeyman. Erasmus james is an upgrade. Maybe he won't pan out...my guess is he will. We got a first round draft pick with only 2-3 years of service for a song. Certain people cry about the age of the lines and then cry when you go out and lower the age of the team overall. JT was signed ONLY because TWO DL went down season ending on the first day of camp. They made the move they had to make in that situation. Can't wait for the JT was an aging guy and Snyder/ Cerrato never should have signed him articles to show up. Its lunacy.

The Redskins roster is younger and better, top to bottom, than it was a year ago. The reason for that is that Snyder, Cerrato and Zorn made a conscious effort to do so through the draft with a light sprinkling of FA additions, with no break the bank FA signings. Snyder has been there, done that, and has learned WITH HIS OWN MONEY its NOT the way to build a dynasty. Snyder and Cerrato also had the vision and balls to hire Zorn as the Head Coach. Risky and its paying off big time. Anybody still wish we had a retread like Fassel or woever the defensive guy was we didn't hire from the Gints instead of Zorn???

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 2, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Love Horton. Really have since that onside kick in the Hall of Fame game as someone mentioned in the last thread. Works hard, is humble, and has a knack for being around the ball. And he's from New Orleans. As if that's not enough, the man likes Dexter, thinks Grey's Anatomy is a reality TV show, and has "I'm Too Sexy" on his Ipod...what's not to love??

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 2, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Scamp!

Posted by: dlhaze1 | October 2, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

I get how some have a problem with the name. But how the hell is the logo at all disrespectful?

Posted by: alex35332 | October 2, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Scamp I got the sarcasm. I can tell the difference between that and Choochness. Sarcasm is a joke and Choochness is things like asking why someone would discuss a Redskin on a blog about the Redskins.

Posted by: Gweez | October 2, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Gweez | October 2, 2008 1:08 PM

Cool man, it's just hard for some to pick up sarcasm in type.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 2, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Chris Horton may be NFL's defensive rookie of the month

You really look smart now JLC about how much of a bust our draft is. I still stay once Kelly gets healthy he is going to be a beast.

Posted by: icetotalpackage | October 2, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

To me, the logo looks a lot like the Indian on the old buffalo nickels.

Posted by: will_ga | October 2, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

jm, agreed, on both the premature classification of the draft picks, as well as once Kelly gets healthy.

I still believe that the second half of the year, this team is going to start to ROLL offensively.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 2, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Jason Reid--

LOVED you on Letterman last night.

Posted by: Corkczar | October 2, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse