Vinny Cerrato analysis: Why now and what's next?

News that Vinny Cerrato is now the team's former executive vice president of football operations comes at a very curious time.

First, the biggest in-season move this year was the addition of Sherm Lewis, the offensive consultant who calls the team's passing plays. No one is going to argue that the offense hasn't been improved in recent weeks, and certainly the statistics back that up.

Second, though Cerrato had come under fire for some of his decisions, his recent draft picks have played well, at least partially vindicating him in some respects. Brian Orakpo was the conference's defensive player of the week last week, after tallying four sacks in Oakland. Tight end Fred Davis has scored four touchdowns in the past three games. Receiver Devin Thomas had 100 yards and two touchdowns against New Orleans.

Third, the win-loss record isn't good, but overall, the team is playing better. You usually expect knee-jerk moves such as this -- the sort that shake-up a team's personnel and guiding philosophy -- coming off major losses. You might have expected it after the loss at Detroit. You might have expected it after the loss at home to Kansas City. But after a win at Oakland? The most dominant win since Jim Zorn came on board and Cerrato had the word "executive" added to his title?

It definitely sounds like another news release could be coming shortly. What happened in the past 24-48 hours to prompt this move?

Cerrato was happily chatting with folks in the press box in Oakland. He was down on the field as the team warmed up before the game, just a foot or two away from team owner Daniel M. Snyder.

We'll try to avoid speculation in the space for right now -- we're hurriedly making phone calls to make sense of today's news -- but let's at least point out that Mike Holmgren has been meeting with the Cleveland Browns this week and was reportedly offered a job. Could that have spurred Snyder into action? Is there a sudden sense of urgency that dominos are going to start falling, and if the Redskins want in the game, they have to be ready now?

Needless to say, it should be an interesting day around Redskins Park.

Oh, and if you're curious about the Holmgren possibility, it's definitely worth monitoring. Conventional wisdom seems to be that the Seattle Seahawks might respond to this week's news out of Cleveland with an offer of their own. Let's remind ourselves of what Holmgren had to say last month, shortly after Cerrato stripped Zorn of his play-calling duties.

"The position they put Jim in, it shouldn't happen," Holmgren told an ESPN radio station in Chicago. "You can be upset with me as a play-caller or how the team's going, [then] fire me. But don't do that. Don't pull the rug out from under me, tie my hands, make me look foolish ... take away what I came there for to do in the first place. Don't do that.

"Jim Zorn is one of the nice people. I'm a nice guy, but I'm not that nice. Jim Zorn is really a nice man. What they did, I did not like it at all."

By Rick Maese  |  December 17, 2009; 9:24 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Vinny Cerrato resigns (updated)
Next: Gibbs isn't likely to be in the mix

Comments

First to wish Vinny good luck.

Posted by: League-Source | December 17, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Glazer said Bruce Allen is the new GM and some think he may bring Gruden with him

Posted by: dlts20 | December 17, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Jay Glazer is reporting it Bruce Allen..who is connected to Gruden!

Posted by: Predator48 | December 17, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kev29 | December 17, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

It seems impossible to me to know just what Vinnie was responsible for. How many of the calls were Danny's? When Gibbs was there he'd get whatever he wanted.

I hope we keep the scouts we have who have done a good job finding low round contributors. Golston, Doughty, Tryon, and others. The three amigos picked in the second round last year don't look so bad now.

A year ago there was complaint that both lines had been neglected. Well, they sure fixed the DL - maybe the best in the league now especially when AH is in there. The OL might have played better if it weren't for injuries to Samuels and Thomas. Williams at RG is looking good and I expect him to come back next year even stronger. We may be just a tackle away from a dominating OL.

Posted by: skinfanman | December 17, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

I think its going to be either Gruden/Allen, Shanahan, or Holmgren. Its those three options. Personally, I would prefer Casserly and Grimm but I'll take any of those over what we've had. It can't be worse!

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 17, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 17, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

I don't know why anyone would have been thinking some sort of Holmgren/Zorn scenario would pop up. Both of them hate Snyder by this point.

This Allen thing makes sense - but we'll see.

Posted by: Kev29 | December 17, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

I just can't believe Cerrato said great coaches like Sherm Lewis and didn't mention Zorn. so bush league.

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 17, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

"First to wish Vinny good luck."

In life sure.

For some reason I just don't like that guy though, and it's not just because of the Skins. Everytime I saw him on TV I just wanted to grab him by his neck.

He really does look like a weasle.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | December 17, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Bruce Allen? Are you kidding me?

Posted by: mattylight | December 17, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Why now???

Why NOT now???

Vinny's been a lam duck for weeks and the move is overdue.

With other organizations already chasing Holmgren and Shanahan, I think Danny wanted to get a jump on things and get in hte mix early.

With another Monday Night game coming, I think Danny wanted to make a story line to get the fans jazzed up.

Posted by: p1funk | December 17, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

The timing is really not surprising and actually shows Dan has a plan. Yes, he is implementing it now to be able to compete for whatever potential GM's are out there - Holmgren perhaps included. And don't forget Holmgren's prior relationship with Zorn - possibly this is a sign that Danny finally realizes blowing everything up every year is NOT the way to go. Just remove the root cause (Vinny) and get someone better. This is the first thing Dan's done that I liked since he bought the team.
Hail to the Redskins - and I haven't said that for a LONG time.

Posted by: clr221821 | December 17, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

"Jay Glazer (PFT) reporting that Bruce Allen is a major candidate for GM. Which could lead to Gruden."

Bruce Allen: Yes!

Jon Gruden: No and hell no!

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 17, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Bruce Allen and Gruden sounds better than Holmgren.

Posted by: skinfanman | December 17, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

ml, you don't like Allen??

Anyone know what kind of drafts this guy has had??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 17, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

2 reasons this was done now.

1) all the incriminating photos of Dan Snyder that were owned by VINNY have been found and burned.

2) they wanted a jump on the replacement GMS/Coaches NOW rather than in January....that would make TOO MUCH SENSE.

HALLELUJAH! SWEET BABY JESUS!

Posted by: Redskins2Win | December 17, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

IF this is true...I am NOT happy with it.

What has Bruce Allen done? HE did have some good drafts in Oakland, but he had a TERRIBLE tenure in Tampa...

Also, I was wrong on this...I was for sure that Vinny would stay....

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 17, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Gag me a toe cheese filled sweat sock over the Vinny Ceratto revisionst/apologist history. I am usually a WaPo apologist but this post turns my stool soft. A drunk monkey could have picked Orakpo, Zorn, Vinny'S hire, was so outclassed in his job that a talented retiree was an obvious upgrade....

Put your snyder hate aside, which i am sympathetic to, and see this for what it is AN OBVIOUS FUKKING MOVE!

Posted by: chrislarry | December 17, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

"The three amigos picked in the second round last year don't look so bad now."

I was just thinking the same thing last night.

Here's the thing though...

You can't build a team ass-backwards and expect to win. The o-line is atrocious, the d-line is just now playoff worthy. He traded TONS of picks away for bums...

I mean seriously, he did a lot worse then he did good.

Orakpo was a "no brainer."

The salary cap is in trouble.

I mean the list goes on, and on.....

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | December 17, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

LaCanfora just said that its Bruce Allen with Shanahan

Posted by: dlts20 | December 17, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Bigger divorce news:

Elin and Tiger?
Dan and Vinnie?

Posted by: League-Source | December 17, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

great move by Danny boy, perfect timing. Team is 4-9. Say what you want about the draft picks, sure they show promise, but we are the bottom feeders of the NFC East and THAT IS NOT ACCEPTABLE.

Posted by: cmterpsnskins | December 17, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

YAY there is a Santa.... thank you!

Posted by: Stu27 | December 17, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

No to Bruce Allen!

Posted by: Lisa_R | December 17, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

I wonder whether the timing of this announcement has anything to do with the ongoing discussion that Holmgren is having with the Cleveland Browns over their GM position.

Perhaps Holmgren said he'd never even consider a job with the Redskins until Vinny Bug-eyes bugged out.

If so, just by getting rid of Vinny -- Holmgren has already done more for the Redskins than old lizard lips ever did in several seasons here.

Posted by: Vic1 | December 17, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

A great day. Vinny had to go to make room for the new GM Danny has had his eye on. At this point, I would assume it is Holmgren since that would explain why the move had to come now. In my opinion, Holmgren will keep Zorn. They know the same system. What to do with Campbell will be Zorn's decision to make.

Posted by: VaBroker | December 17, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

The best move (besides canning V) would be to keep JC and Zorn. Continuity!!! The players are really starting to get the WCO. Remember Zorn said it takes 2 years to fully grasp it. He was right. PLay calling or not, the players are getting it. Ceratto's biggest error was ignoring the O line. He drafted well, just the wrong positions. This could be a team to be reckoned with if it had a better o line and better depth.

Posted by: scoot21 | December 17, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinfanman | December 17, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

It's not going to be Holmgren. That's just free associating a guy with an opening.

Posted by: Kev29 | December 17, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Even though the end result (getting rid of Vinny) is a huge step, I just don't trust Snyder. I don't think he's ready to give up total control of this team. I hope I'm wrong.

Posted by: Moose33 | December 17, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Who the hell is Bruce Allen? George Allen's son? He better hire a real NFL coach then.

Posted by: FedorEm | December 17, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

um..4th, you mofo bama, your comment about red and I yesterday was UNCALLED FOR!!!!!!
you win bama of the year for that....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 17, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Bruce Allen would be GREAT, and here is why.

Allen successfully guided the Raiders to prominence while working with a basket-case like Al Davis.

Bruce Allen has credibility as a GM around the league and won't get pushed around by Danny.

Bruce Allen would be a GM. We would have a real live GM!!?! Danny has NEVER been willing to relinquish power like that since Marty, and having ANYONE not named Vinny Cerrato or Dan Snyder in a GM role is a 100% improvement.

Posted by: p1funk | December 17, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

5 146 Jeb Terry G North Carolina
6 181 Nate Lawrie TE Yale
7 206 Mark Jones WR Tennessee
7 228 Casey Cramer RB Dartmouth
7 252 Lenny Williams CB Southern University

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 17, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

IF this is true...I am NOT happy with it.

Also, I was wrong on this...I was for sure that Vinny would stay....

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 17, 2009 9:35 AM

I was thinking the same thing, but didn't he and Gruden get held back because the Glazer's didn't want to spend money on the players they wanted?

Posted by: TWISI | December 17, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

NExt....Look for George Allen come in as the PR guy and start calling all minority reporters, 'Maccaca'

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 17, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

"The timing is really not surprising and actually shows Dan has a plan.

You gotta do this now or a month from now there will be no one to hire.

As an above poster said, I am really surprised that he did this at all. I thought Cerrato was coming back for sure.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | December 17, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Wheres the blantant placement of "the front office repeatedly did not address the offensive line" tagline that accompanies any other thread on this blog? why did they choose to leave that out now?? WAPO can suck a fat one sometimes.

Posted by: drewkinnear | December 17, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

ml, you don't like Allen??

Anyone know what kind of drafts this guy has had??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 17, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

I'll admit I don't know a ton about the guy, so I could end up being proven wrong, but the guy got canned in TB, reportedly leaving the team in terrible shape. And if he brought in Gruden, even worse! Chucky won with Dungy's players, and then tanked. No thanks.

Look at the mess that is the Bucs right now! Allen / Gruden just don't register as the "homerun" choice many of us are hoping for. I'd rather have that Decosta (sp?) from Baltimore, I believe Wilbon mentioned a highly regarded personnel guy in Dallas that many around the league say will get a shot, or even freaking Bill Polian, now that his son is running the show in Indy next season.

Posted by: mattylight | December 17, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 17, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Seriously? Seriously? Bruce Allen and Jon Gruden were together in Tampa Bay from 2004 - 2008. Let's just take a look at their win/loss during that span:

5-11; 11-5; 4-12; 9-7; 9-7

That's got mediocrity written all over it... the exact same kind of up and down mediocrity that Dan Snyder thrives on. If Dan screws this up and makes some stupid move designed to promote false optimism and sell tickets then I swear I will be done with this team.

Posted by: mmeixler | December 17, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

F Zorn, pulheeze to keeping that corny azz bama...

JC has won me over, I am fine with keeping him and building elsewhere

Also I am willing to be psyched with whoever and get all kool aid on the cat. I'd take Goldie Hawn from Wildcats right now.

Posted by: chrislarry | December 17, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

5 167 Doug Gabriel WR Central Florida
6 204 Dustin Rykert -- Brigham Young
7 246 Siddeeq Shabazz DB New Mexico State
7 262 Ryan Hoag WR Gustavus Adolphus
2002 - Oakland Raiders
Rd Sel # Player Position School
1 17 Phillip Buchanon CB Miami (Fla.)
1 23 Napoleon Harris MLB Northwestern
2 53 Langston Walker T California
2 55 Doug Jolley TE Brigham Young
5 147 Kenyon Coleman DE UCLA
6 189 Keyon Nash DB Albany State (Ga.)
6 197 Larry Ned RB San Diego State
7 229 Ken-Yon Rambo WR Ohio State
2000 - Oakland Raiders
1 17 Sebastian Janikowski K Florida State
2 47 Jerry Porter WR West Virginia
4 107 Junior Ioane DT Arizona State
5 142 Shane Lechler P Texas A&M
7 227 Mondriel Fulcher TE Miami (Fla.)
7 231 Clifton Black -- Texas State
1999 - Oakland Raiders
1 18 Matt Stinchcomb T Georgia
2 40 Tony Bryant DE Florida State
4 102 Dameane Douglas WR California
5 146 Eric Barton LB Maryland
5 153 Rod Coleman DT East Carolina
6 188 Daren Yancey -- Brigham Young
7 224 JoJuan Armour LB Miami (Ohio)
1998 - Oakland Raiders
1 9 Rickey Dudley TE Ohio State
2 57 Lance Johnstone DE Temple
5 166 La'Roi Glover DT San Diego State
6 183 Tim Hall RB Robert Morris
7 220 Sedric Clark LB Tulsa
7 224 Darius Smith -- Sam Houston State
7 248 Joey Wylie -- Stephen F. Austin St.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 17, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | December 17, 2009 9:40 AM

True true....But as Flounder just posted above....His Tampa drafts were TERRIBLE...and that has nothing to do with spending $$$...

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 17, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 17, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Here's what I really really like about those draft picks:

Lots of Olinemen drafted in the first 3 rounds.

Posted by: p1funk | December 17, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

What has Gruden done? Win a superbowl with Dungy's defense? Lose some wildcard games?

Meh.

Posted by: swowra | December 17, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

980 just said Bruce Allen has been hired.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 17, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

"La Canfora just said that it's Bruce Allen with Shanahan."

I trust this.

M Shanahan will be coaching in DC next Fall.

And Jimmy Clausen will be the starting quarterback.

And we will get an offensive line.

This means the Vinny v. Danny divorce was over his wanting it his way versus Dan's way.

And Dan owns the team.

So now, big name, shiny object, and major changes in place.

There's no stability like redskins' stability where constant change can always be expected.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 17, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

IF this is true...I am NOT happy with it.

Also, I was wrong on this...I was for sure that Vinny would stay....

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 17, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

I disagree with this, Tampa was competitive and in the playoffs often despite a mandate from ownership to have one of the lowest payrolls annually. his last season there Allen/Gruden almost made the playoffs despite being almost $30 million under the cap, imagine what he could do here with an owner willing to spend.

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 17, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

I'd take Goldie Hawn from Wildcats right now.

Posted by: chrislarry | December 17, 2009 9:42 AM

I'd take her for any open position in my organization.

Posted by: League-Source | December 17, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Flounder, from the looks of it Allen had some good drafts in Oakland, not so good ones in Tampa. I don't know about this...

Posted by: mattylight | December 17, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

flound thanks, not great drafts, but shows he's not afraid of taking OL early...given the choice, I'd rather Shanny over Chucky...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 17, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Bruce Allen CONFIRMED!!

Posted by: Zeebs | December 17, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Please take the poll on this site regarding the future of the skins.

Posted by: tc2003 | December 17, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 17, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

I CAN'T FRICKIN BELIEVE THAT PEOPLE UP HERE ARE COMPLAINING!!!!

ARE YOU SERIOUS!?!?!

VINNY CERRATTO JUST GOT FIRED AND PEOPLE ARE WETTING THE BED ABOUT WHETHER BRUCE ALLEN HAD GOOD DRAFTS?!??!?!

WHAT DO YOU WANT????? JESUS CHRIST TO BE HIRED AS GM; THE PROHPEHT MOHAMMED TO BE HEAD COACH; AND MOSES AS DIRECTOR OF PLAYER PERSONNEL????

Posted by: p1funk | December 17, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Goldie Hawn went to Blair. This proves she knows nothing about football.

Posted by: DikShuttle | December 17, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

If you don't think Bruce Allen is light years ahead of Ceratto as an overall GM you nutz.

Also even if their record is mixed, I am MORE than willing to give someone else a shot at this.

Quick name another GM/Coach combo who has succeeded with the Raiders in the last 25 years? I mean they were one horrible call away from the SB, and then that retart coach took to the SB the next year with "grudens" team....

Posted by: chrislarry | December 17, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Maybe Danny boy was not out scouting a QB a few weeks ago, but scouting/talking about a GM Replacement. Joe Gibbb, now maybe Allen, at least maybe Danny is learning from History.

Posted by: RichC3 | December 17, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Bruce - THE BOSS!!!!!

Posted by: dah1963 | December 17, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 17, 2009 9:42 AM

I saw the list. Not very good.

Posted by: TWISI | December 17, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Bring the GM from the Colts and paid Dungy.

Posted by: javiermartinez14 | December 17, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

THANKS DAN...I NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD SAY THAT.

Posted by: brianlee720 | December 17, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

i thought i picked up something monday night and i think chucky will be the next coach.

Posted by: cavalieri10 | December 17, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: cavalieri10 | December 17, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Let me say that I was totally wrong about Vinny coming back. I am so happy that I was.

Posted by: jm220 | December 17, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

This move has it's warts but having said that, the post that said that maybe Allen/ Gruden were held back because the owner didn't want to spend the money. Anyway, i will take Bruce allen/ Chuckie over Synder/Cerrato/ Zorn anyday....It's a huge upgrade just to get Synratto out of the way........Anyway, the favorite whipping boy vinny is gone....good riddence and you can bet your first born that he won't be doing any classless radio show.......

Posted by: klangley69 | December 17, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Vinny never mention Zorn, among the coaches that came to the Skins but thanked Lewis..... No surprise there.

Schmuck to the very end. Adios Vinny the weasel! don't come back! no one feels sorry for you!

MERRY XMAS SKINS NATION!

Posted by: alucard1 | December 17, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

I'd argue the offense got better as certain players where given an opportunity to play, particularly anyone but an out of shape CP at RB...

Posted by: BrokenClipboard | December 17, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Meh...Allen/Chucky leaves me cold. Give me Polian/Dungy.

Posted by: BMoreChil | December 17, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattylight | December 17, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Hello? I thought Al Davis ran the Oakland Raiders? Or maybe that's the whole point...

Posted by: Pepper5 | December 17, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

I am glad to see Vinny go, but you do have to admit that his last few drafts were pretty good. You can say a "monkey" would draft Orakpo, but there were 12 monkeys ahead of him that didn't pull the trigger on this future pro bowler. Plenty of Broncos fans are wondering why they have Knowshon Moreno and Robert Ayers instead of Orakpo and someone else. The receivers from last year had unrealistic expectations enforced by the crack staff at WaPo. With a few exceptions, the WR position always takes longer to develop in the NFL for players to "get it".

Vinny's worst transgressions IMO, were 1)trading away high value draft picks for established players like Brunell and JT and 2) not drafting quality OL depth (whiffing on Rhinehart).

Posted by: BKDenver | December 17, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

About time!! A real GM should be brought in before the season ends to evaluate the talent here...not after the season ends. I doubt Chuckie comes here because he's already signed up long term with ESPN and stated he's staying. My guess is Holmgren or Bruce Allen...most likely Allen. Can't really knock him on Tampa ...look at the cheap owners he had to work with there. He certainly doesn't have that problem here. I'm betting Snyder is hoping the CBA isn't done so he can unload a lot of overpriced contracts.

Posted by: bullwinkle1 | December 17, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

I CAN'T FRICKIN BELIEVE THAT PEOPLE UP HERE ARE COMPLAINING!!!!

ARE YOU SERIOUS!?!?!

Posted by: p1funk

LMBAO!!!

Posted by: jm220 | December 17, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

It has been reported that Bruce Allen has been selected as GM and the Redskins are going through the required NFL process before the deal can be finalized. I assume he will be in charge and there is hope once again in DC of a super bowl appearance.

Posted by: edeshields | December 17, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Obviously, Danny has been talking with some of his preferred coaching candidates, and the message he received was no way will I coach your team if Cerrato is the GM.

Posted by: VAbaseballfan | December 17, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

I'm not sure if anyone else brought this up, but didn't gruden sign a contract extension with ESPN just amonth or two ago? If so, do you really think he'd come to the Skins?

Posted by: jwash4472 | December 17, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Jason, your revisionist history of the Cerrato years doesn't do anything good for your credibility. As good as every player who makes an NFL roster is, it is impossible to blow every single personnel decision. However, the Cerrato track record is pretty clear: he came in well behind his peers in that department.

Keep in mind, Cerrato is on the record saying that he gave Zorn a playoff roster.

As far as Allen, who knows if he is the best out there. However, he is an experienced football executive who has held this position and been successful previously -- something we have not had in the Snyder era.

Posted by: clchapman | December 17, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

I'm reporting that Matt Millen has been hired as the new Redskins GM. He will bring his trusted confidante Marty Morninwheg, who will come in from Philly.

Posted by: Meepo | December 17, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Agree with scoot21; keep the JC and Zorn combo, since the 2nd half of the Atlanta game things have been clicking. The WCO takes time to learn and execute and Zorn has the right temperment and has weathered the storm. Upgrade the O-line, get a future running back, and add another corner. The ball is rolling in the right direction, and how about Tony Dungy as the next GM?

Posted by: laboyde | December 17, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Why do so many people want Gruden after what happened to him in Tampa? He did not get along with players and his ego was too big. He also won a Super Bowl with Tampa because of a team built by Tony Dungy not him. I would not want to see Gruden here. It's a recipe for disaster.

Posted by: jamalnasir_2000 | December 17, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Chuk sux

Posted by: Pepper5 | December 17, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

jamalnasir_2000--I agree with you 100%. Gruden won the Super Bowl with Dungy's team. After that, it slowly started to fall apart. I don't see him as a successful coach at all.

Posted by: nuzuw | December 17, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

i was googling to refamiliarize myself with the subject... as i finished typing the word "bruce," the following names appeared (in this order): springsteen, lee, willis, jenner, campbell, hornsby (LOL), springsteen lyrics, willis movies and bruce hardwood floors." how's that for optimism?

Posted by: dcjazzman | December 17, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

I see people talk about Gruden winning the Super Bowl with Dungy players, but I think people forget that Gruden fielded a decent team in Oakland that Bill Callahan took to the Super Bowl against Gruden/Dungy's Bucs. Gruden is also a huge fan of Jason Campbell, so this could work. The truth is that it's going to take years to turn it around. We had almost 10 years of victory in the 80's and more than 10 years of futility in the 90's and 2000's. We have to start somewhere.

Posted by: tryumpfant | December 17, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

gruden's got a name, and he did do well at oakland. but the team he won the super bowl with was put together by tony dungee. the real question is this: will dan tell his new charges WHAT he wants to see and back tf off and keep his mouth shut.

Posted by: dcjazzman | December 17, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

tony dungee as gm? to die for. but i don't think he'd leave what he's doing, nor do i think he'd come HERE.

Posted by: dcjazzman | December 17, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Dungy wasn't the GM in Tampa, he was the coach. Get your facts straight.

He took what talent he had and guided them to the Super Bowl victory when Dungy could not. That talent that got old very soon after the Super Bowl win.

I'd be thrilled to have Gruden as coach.

Posted by: jsmith33351 | December 17, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Bruce Allen, hmmmm and what are the records of the Raiders and Bucs...???

Posted by: job22 | December 17, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Dungy wasn't the GM in Tampa, he was the coach.

Get your facts straight.

Gruden took what talent he had in Tampa and guided them to the Super Bowl victory that Dungy could not. That talent got very old soon after the Super Bowl win.

I'd be thrilled to have Gruden as coach.

Posted by: jsmith33351 | December 17, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

whoa does this mean Zorny gets to call plays again... we had a chance for some upsets with the way offense was getting it done... if we go back to being medium... well any the vinny is gone HTTR

Posted by: travmanf | December 17, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Dungy wasn't the GM in Tampa, he was the coach.

Get your facts straight.

I'd be thrilled to have Gruden as coach.

________

And you think Dungy had no say in the draft? Gruden is way over rated. Just like Laron Landry.

Posted by: jamalnasir_2000 | December 17, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Cynicism runs amok. Why now? To the contrary; WHY WAIT? The more time Bruce Allen has to prepare and evaluate for next year, the better chance for success.

Posted by: benevolentanarchist | December 17, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Bucs blogger Matt Loede discusses Allen's tenure in Tampa, live now - http://bit.ly/83K4zf

Posted by: paujwill | December 17, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Why now? I think it's an excellent choice to do it now. If you're going in a different direction doing it as quickly as possible is the way to go. The new guy can get a chance to interact with players and coaches and see who he might want to keep. Even if they don't hire a new guy now they can interview and get one as soon as possible.

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov | December 17, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

The people claiming money doesn't effect the draft are sorely mistaken. When a team spends 1 million on scouting and another spends 60 million you will find much different results.

Posted by: Mike4169 | December 17, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse