Andre Carter adjusting well to linebacker

Outside linebacker Andre Carter believes he is on the road to a successful transition from defensive end. In fact, he says he enjoys his new position.

"I really do," said Carter, among the most optimistic athletes I have ever covered. "I like what we've been doing and I'm feeling more comfortable every day...We're definitely going to put ourselves in position to create more turnovers. That's what we want."

Although Carter supposedly was competing with Lorenzo Alexander to start opposite Brian Orakpo, it appears coaches preferred Carter all along because Alexander has a variety of roles in different sub-packages and still has significant responsibilities on special teams. But who starts is not as important as "everyone on our defense contributing to what we're trying to do," Carter said.

"Zo is a great player. We need Zo to do what he does because we're all trying to win," he said. That's what it's about."

Was Malcolm Kelly the worst draft pick of the Vinny Cerrato era? Join the discussion in the Tailgate Zone:

By Jason Reid  |  September 1, 2010; 1:00 PM ET
Categories:  Andre Carter
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins might have circumvented rule
Next: Jim Haslett's plan: More blitzes, more turnovers

Comments

I'll believe it, when I see it... I just don't know how they are going to eliminate 2 OLB's from covering TE's & RB's. I could understand if they only had to protect Orakpo, but how you gonna protect Carter from covering also?

Posted by: tony325 | September 1, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

No way was Malcolm Kelly the worst pick of the Cerrato era. There's a whole host of higher draft pick guys that never made the team or did nothing (remember Cliff Russell, Taylor Jacobs, etc.), but my vote is for Patrick Ramsey - I think Vinny drafted him; someone please correct me if I'm wrong. He's a guy who, if I recall, the 'Skins traded up to get in the 1st round when he wasn't first round talent, then he did exactly nothing well during his brief stint with us. At least MK still has an opportunity to impress next offseason.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | September 1, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jcnjcnj | September 1, 2010 1:08 PM

I know, I didn't mean you were criticizing, I meant the other dude. No harm no foul.

On another note, Tom Brady looks pretty queer in these pop up adverts.

Posted by: Rypien11 | September 1, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Carter looks completely stiff & uncomfortable in his 2-point stance. In the next game, check out how much more natural Orakpo looks bending his knees and arching his back. Carter looks like they put pads on Frankenstein! If they're not going to use Zo, I hope Chris Wilson emerges because I Have no faith in Carter in the 3-4.

Posted by: wisdom80 | September 1, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

"Linbacker not adjusting well to Andre Carter"

Fixed it for you Mike.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | September 1, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

At least MK still has an opportunity to impress next offseason.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | September 1, 2010 1:11 PM |

He's always had that opportunity, so what makes you think things will change moving forward. My response is, SHOW ME SOMETHING !

Posted by: hessone | September 1, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

I'll help you get started:
Darrell Green
Chris Samuels..

And I'll add:

Stephen Davis
Jon Jansen
Clinton Portis

No Lavar Arrington in my fav5, sorry....

Posted by: RedDMV | September 1, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

challenge anyone to build a list of 5 Skins players who accomplished more FOR THE TEAM in the past decade... no Jason Taylors or Albert Haynesworths who built their careers somewhere else and didn't do it in a Skins uni.

I'll help you get started:
Darrell Green
Chris Samuels...

Posted by: Alan4

Jon Jansen
Clinton Portis
Sean Taylor

That's 5 without even checking statistics. This is like shooting fish in a frikkin barrel.

Posted by: dpc2003 | September 1, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tony325 | September 1, 2010 1:09 PM
-----------------------------------
You Blitz with them thats how...we got safeties to cover the TE and RB

Posted by: jcnjcnj | September 1, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

In the last decade Jon Jansen did not do as much as Arrington for the Redskins. By the time Arrington hurt himself, Jansen had already befallen his injury downward spiral. And when the two were healthy, Arrington was head and shoulders a superior player for the Redskins.

Darrell Green, for his all-time greatness, gets honorary recognition. Actually arguing that he did more for the Skins than Arrington in the 2000s is crazy talk.

The list should look like this:

-Chris Samuels
-Sean Taylor
-Clinton Portis
-Champ Bailey
-London Fletcher
-Chris Cooley
-Santana Moss
-Lavar Arrington

Posted by: psps23 | September 1, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

I thought about Stephen Davis, but he went to the Panthers after '02, and retired as a Panther.

That was one of the all-time STUPID moves in Redskins history. Letting Davis go and keeping that world-class knucklehead Westbrook was beyond idiocy.

Posted by: dpc2003 | September 1, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

By Jason Reid | September 1, 2010; 1:00 PM ET

Seriously?????????

Cliff Russel?
Taylor JAcobs?
The dude from the military who was built and a 26 yr old rookie?
LBP (Lil Brother Palmer)

You guys may continue the list........

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 1, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Stephen Davis had as many good years for the Skins as Lavar did...

Posted by: Stu27 | September 1, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

psp223 I usually agree with you but the last decade was 00-09. Jansen was drafted in 99.

Posted by: dpc2003 | September 1, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

I saw someone mention Ramsey.

I would also add JCampbell.

Rasaha BAumen was a high pick. (high 3rd)
MArk Wilson
Dallas Sartz

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 1, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

You Blitz with them thats how...we got safeties to cover the TE and RB

Posted by: jcnjcnj | September 1, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

___________________________

That & we'll be doing a lot of Zone Blitzing, but when we do that, you have lineman taking the place of those LB's. If your covering TE's & RB's with safeties, then there is no coverage over the top. I can see Peyton Manning & Aaron Rogers having a field day with that scenario. Can't stop the perfect pass without some help over the top & both those guys are coming to town this year.

Posted by: tony325 | September 1, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hessone | September 1, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Hows he supposed to show you anything when he cant get on the field? When he was healthy, Zoron wouldnt put him in position to do jack #@^%.

How many times did we even try to throw him a fade in the red zone? Like twice if I remember correctly. Yeah campbell sucked at those throws but it clearly indicts Zorn as not playing to his strengths.

Posted by: ElPresidente1984 | September 1, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Stephen Davis had as many good years for the Skins as Lavar did...

Posted by: Stu27 | September 1, 2010 1:33 PM |

Redskins 4th all time leading rusher

Posted by: PlayAction | September 1, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

@skinsfan713

If I remember correctly they actually traded down several places in the Ramsey draft and took him with the last pick in the first.

While I can't say Patrick was/is a good starting NFL QB, many people who know far more about football than I do have said on record that Spurrier ruined Ramsey. He was like JC17 before JC17 existed. A physically sound guy with good work ethic and character that just got rag dolled by schemes meant for Junior College offenses. (Gatorade Boy/Z-Man)

Anyway, the fact that Ramsey is still in the league and is viewed as a reliable backup type I would think excuses him from being on any "Worst Of" list.

Cerrato has many more disaster type picks to choose from.

My pick is not 1 player, but entire years. take a look back at 2009. It is unfathomable, but very likely that one year removed from 2009 draft we will have 1 player from that draft on our roster.

Then look at the S-pile that the 2009 draft may stack up as, especially considering the ammo we had in it at one point with 3 second rd. picks. That MUST equal 3 starters in today's NFL.

2007? Do the names Landry, Sartz, Blades,Palmer (not Carson) and Ecker do anything for you? Cause they don't for me.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | September 1, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

"I'd argue that London Fletcher, in his 3 years with the Redskins, has had more impact on the defense than Arrington did."

And I'd definitely challenge you. Fletch is workmanlike, steady. Right place, right time.

But Lavar was a game-changer, with the physical skills to take risks. He altered the game because he put the hurt on players... one of the hardest hits I ever saw Emmitt Smith take came courtesy of Lavar. Can't say I've seen Fletcher deliver the slobber-knockers like Lavar that put fear in the offense.

Posted by: Alan4 | September 1, 2010 1:47 PM |

Also, the defense hasn't gotten many turnovers during Fletcher's tenure. Not a knock on Fletch, but has to be mentioned if you want to compare him to Lavar.

Posted by: Alan4 | September 1, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Regarding MK:

How many times did we even try to throw him a fade in the red zone? This isn't Shanny's first rodeo. He sees something. Hes not taking up a roster spot anymore, and its not your $ paying his salary

Posted by: ElPresidente1984 | September 1, 2010 1:36 PM |

You gotta have a QB that can throw a fade. JCampbell couldn't make that throw. MK has been on the roster going on 3 years and hasn't shown us anything, except he can't get on the field due to injury. He's on IR due to his injury, not because Shanahan's been to the rodeo.

You're right about me not paying his salary, as I won't be purchasing season tickets.

Posted by: hessone | September 1, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Of course, the S-pile I mentioned above should have been 2008 not 2009....

This post got me thinking and I went and looked at the actual picks from the last 4 years of VC's reign, when arguably Vinny had his most juice in the organization.

2005-2009= 33 picks, and after this Saturday evening it's very possible that as few as 6 of them will be on the roster, with exactly 4 of them starting (Landry, Orakpo, Macintosh and Rogers).

It's actually a minor miracle the team is even expected to be competitive when you consider this staggering failure to draft and develop players since 2005.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | September 1, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

"Adjusting well"? Bwahhahahahaha! Come on. Carter is a hand-on-the-ground pass rusher. He's lost in space out there as an outside LB.

The bottom line is simple and clear: the Skins don't have the personnel for the 3-4. It might work early, but once teams have film, they're going to pick that defense apart.

Posted by: diesel_skins_ | September 1, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

beep

Posted by: hessone | September 1, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

I'd agree with blitzing both OLB's if Rogers and Hall had islands named after them. But since those islands don't exist Haslett would be better off having one OLB cover backs/TE. It was reported about a month ago that Orakpo would be the "monster linebacker", or something like that, and that he'd be both the primary blitz LB and primary cover LB.

Posted by: coparker5 | September 1, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

If overrunning plays and not covering is adjusting well, then he's adjusting pretty damn good. I like him, just not in the 3-4.

Posted by: kahlua87 | September 1, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

His opinion og himself is a little different from what I see on the field. The games will tell the true story.

Posted by: MHEDRLT | September 1, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

I see other readers had the exact same thought as I did. Having watched the games and seeing Carter look awkward, out of position, slow to react and a liability in coverage,I am utterly flabbergasted by this RI entry. Do you even watch football Mr. Reid?

Posted by: keino83 | September 1, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

when everyone was talking about haynesworth, this was the very question i was asking. i would say he may cover an out pattern, or a quickie over the middle, but anything downfield....naw i can't see it. so it seems that on those third and long passing plays, you have to blitz him and maybe someone up the middle and pray they reach the ball before it leaves the QB's hand. they have talent on the team. the problem is, it's bunched up in a few positions as opposed to being spread out over the team. trade carter for a pick to a 4-3 team and start alexander in that spot. untie the knot that has the talent bunched up. orakpo can them become the monster LB, alexander can cover, and all is good in the world. that of course is just a start.

Posted by: joerutgens72 | September 1, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Quick comment on Fletcher vs Arrington: No freakin way! Fletcher is/was 10 times better than Arrington. Arrington was always out of position, go to the archives. Thats why he got benched/traded/whatever. I think he is a great, charismatic guy, but an average football player. Fletcher is a wreaking ball.

Posted by: vincentc | September 1, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse