Andre Carter may get his chances against the Colts

Defensive coordinator Jim Haslett acknowledges that the team's plan to convert Andre Carter from a defensive lineman to an outside linebacker did not go well.

"We tried to change him a little bit," Haslett said the other day. "But you got a guy where you try and teach a old dog new tricks."

In Week 4, Lorenzo Alexander supplanted Carter as the starting left outside linebacker. Not surprisingly, Carter struggled in coverage and as a stand-up edge rusher, experiencing many of the same problems he did in his only other season as an outside linebacker while with the San Francisco 49ers.

"Obviously," Haslett said, "it didn't work out exactly like I think he could do it."

But Carter still could make a significant contribution this season, Haslett said. The Redskins have permitted Carter - who tied for the team lead with 11 sacks last season - to rush with his hand down more recently, and he may have many chances to make plays Sunday night against the pass-first Indianapolis Colts at FedEx Field.

"He is good at what we are doing with him and he is playing a lot," Haslett said. "I think he played about 60 plays last week [against the Green Bay Packers]. He is very productive. Hopefully, we can keep that up and he can give us more production out of what we are doing with him."

By Jason Reid  | October 17, 2010; 5:55 PM ET
Categories:  Andre Carter
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Albert Haynesworth expected to be inactive tonight
Next: Rate the Redskins against the Colts

Comments

Say what you will about Favre, he's one tough SOB.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | October 17, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

I am not worried about the AH issue. More important is defending the pass. Perhaps Jarmon steps up his game and can create pressure with Carriker at NT.

Litchenlager needs to play better with Raboch to open holes for the running game.

Posted by: skinswillwin | October 17, 2010 6:03 PM | Report abuse

If he gets a sack, Tracy Hamilton will write an article stating how he has 9 sacks on the year

Posted by: Black706 | October 17, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

G O O D M O R N I N G RI peeps and sheeps.

Get ready for a healthy dose of the pabrian brothers this week as the Optimism Bus rolls into town.

Following todays loss to the Colts

Us pabrian brothers will be here all week explaining(with impeccable football knowledge may i add) the mistakes of trading away future Superbowl MVP Jason Campbell and trading for McSoup, a washed up never-was. Joining us with a special guest appearance will be ALAN4.(who offers keen insight how if you gave Jason Campbell the perfect team he could win...as if no other QB could do, mind you)

In addition the continuous nitpicking of Mike Shanahans approach will continue with yet another guest appearance from WALTHU19.(folks you must pay attention though because WALTHU19 only shows up toward the end of the thread when everybody has left. Stay tuned to read his ever non-racist posts about Mike ShanaKLAN)

It's gonna be a doozy!

Posted by: pabrian2008 | October 17, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse

I love this coaching staff.

They are willing to try things, and equally willing to admit defeat.

They are putting players in positions that best allow them to excel. That is all you can ask of a coaching staff.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 17, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

rachel

if you are gonna ignore me, then you might as well ignore some of my other handles: beep-beep, edvar, chia_pet, and chrislarry.

trust me I'm much more tolerable when I post as them, but sometimes I'm a jerk when I post as them too. pick your poison right?

Posted by: pabrian2008 | October 17, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Tweeted by Cliff Russell espn980

Posted by: TWISI | October 17, 2010 5:58 PM

Cliff Russell? The 3rd Rd bust we drafted in the 3rd RD of the 2002 draft.

I know you meant Chris Russell, who's actual name is Chris Russo. He's also a Giants fan. He's the only one who's reported as of 6:00 PM.

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 17, 2010 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Viqueens now up

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 17, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Viqueens now up

Posted by: scampbell1975

SWEET!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: rachel216 | October 17, 2010 6:20 PM | Report abuse

IfF ol' Lawrence Taylor had the stomach virus, he would just take an IV before the game and at halftime.

And do one hitter's every five minutes out of the coke bullet he kept in his sock.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 17, 2010 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Did Dallas even have the ball during the 3rd quarter other than when they were practically in their own endzone? REally hope Vikings D can hold them here. 1-4 would be so nice.

Posted by: suzannepdc | October 17, 2010 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Djax got rocked. How long was he out?

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 17, 2010 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pabrian2008 | October 17, 2010 6:11 PM

There isn't one person on this blog capable of confusing me with you.

Ever.

But have your fun.

Posted by: edvar | October 17, 2010 6:28 PM | Report abuse

M-F'er - Dallas game is now tied.

Posted by: suzannepdc | October 17, 2010 6:31 PM | Report abuse

ROMO being ROMO..

My man and fellow Terp, EJ Henderson!

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 17, 2010 6:44 PM | Report abuse

beep-frog a couple threads to the newest one.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | October 17, 2010 6:45 PM | Report abuse