Fifth Person Charged in Taylor Killing (Updated)

A fifth person has been charged in connection with the shooting death of Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor, a spokesman in the Miami-Dade State Attorney's office said Wednesday.

Timothy Brown, 16, of Fort Myers, Fla., has been charged with first-degree felony murder and armed burglary of an occupied dwelling, according the spokesman, Ed Griffith. Brown was arrested Tuesday and booked into a Lee County jail. It is unclear when he will arrive in Miami. No initial court appearance has yet been set.

Taylor, 24, died Nov. 27 after surprising intruders in his home the night before.

Four other men -- Eric Rivera, Jr., 18; Charles Kendrick Lee Wardlow, 19; Jason Scott Mitchell, 20; and Venjah K. Hunte, 20 -- were indicted by a Miami-Dade County Grand Jury last year on the same charges and are scheduled to go to trial Aug. 25. All four were arrested within days of Taylor's death.

But in a sworn statement to the police, one of the defendents, Rivera, said there were five, rather than four, people who drove together from Fort Myers to Taylor's house in Miami on the night of the break in.

After returning to Fort Myers, "all five of us" burned "clothes and shirts and gloves" so "nobody can find out who did it," Rivera told police according to his Nov. 30 signed statement.

"It's always been the belief of the police that there were one or more other suspects involved," said Richard Sharpstein, the attorney representing Taylor's family. "The family is thankful that the police have been dogged in their pursuit of all the individuals so that all the individuals responsible for Sean's death can all meet hard justice."

Prosecutors will not seek the death penalty in the case, Griffith said. Rivera, the alleged shooter in the case, was 17 at the time of Taylor's death. Under Florida law, juveniles cannot face the death penalty.

-- Amy Shipley and Jason La Canfora

By Jason La Canfora  |  May 14, 2008; 1:36 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins Hire A Pro Scout
Next: A Guilty Plea In The Sean Taylor Case

Comments

So, so sad. Damn...

Hail 2-1

Posted by: Red | May 14, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Glad to hear the Miami Police department is still working hard to bring justice to this tragedy.

Hail 21!

May the killer(s) rot in he.......

Posted by: Rando | May 14, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

I hope these dudes get arse rapped for the rest of their lives.

RIP 36/21 - you are missed.

(BONG!, with a sad face)

Posted by: BigMurf08 | May 14, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Way to copy a report from another news outlet.

Posted by: Great One | May 14, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Im sorry great one, should the WAPO have someone standing outside the DADE POPO station and wait for ST news?

Get a grip dude

Posted by: Zebra | May 14, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

ESPN did the same with the Miami Herald. I doubt JLC has a direct line with the prosecutor of the case or any of the defendants.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 14, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Great One at what? Are you a Gretzky fan, just a bloated ego? Is it slyly ironic?

JK...

Posted by: chris Larry | May 14, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

I want to second an earlier comment, nice to see the police continue to investigate this case, seems pretty well spread out....

Doesn't change the fact he won't be suiting up against the Giants, or marrying his fiance, or raising his daughter...

Posted by: chris Larry | May 14, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

If you don't like Jason LaConfora and the Redskins Insider, its simply - just quit reading and go find a better site. Try arsewipe.com, since your in constant need for something.

Posted by: Rando | May 14, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

your self-indulgence is nauseating cL.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 14, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Thanks!

Posted by: chris Larry | May 14, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

No one said Portis did not play in all 16 games but he did not have his legs until game 8 or 9. And Gibbs way did not work this time playoffs or not. We had guys hurt all the time, so I would say a change is needed. If you can not see that every post from Jasno has a negative feel to it, I have some swamp land to sell you. I have sources that say Jasno hates the Skins, but I will not name them. I guess I have to be telling the truth.

Posted by: kmdp4 | May 14, 2008 11:10 AM
-------------------------------------------

kmdp4,

If you think a change is needed, that's fine. All this post says is that zorn is doing things differently than gibbs did it and the way others did it around the league. There is no judgment whatsoever in the post, only questions. And they're legitimate questions. It's not negative, it's skeptical. That's the way it should be, especially for a first-time coach with little to no experience in these matters. Formulate your own opinion and leave it be.

As for the sources, it's amazing how people continue to think he's just making things up. He scooped every coaching candidate before they were interviewed. He scooped the CJ trade when EVERYBODY said there's no way. Every "negative" thing he posts has a positive reflection (with the admitted exception of the Vinny nickname post). He criticized the skins for getting rid of GWilliams because he LIKES GWilliams. He criticized the skins for letting go of Byner because he LIKES EB. He loved the initial trades for the draft, and loved the Devin Thomas pick, but was skeptical about going overboard with the following 2 picks. Sometimes he criticizes Portis for getting too many carries because he LIKES Betts. He has plenty of posts where he commends the Redskins organization and the Redskins players for certain things, but apparently to you some of you, that's true unbiased reporting. Then as soon as he posts questions or becomes skeptical, he has an agenda because he hates the Redskins. Get over it. Not everybody agrees 100% with every aspect of Redskin life, organization, and the ways of doing things - and that includes people within the organization itself. Seriously, if you want "unbiased" "explicit" sources for your "inside" news, then go to extremeskins. I'll prefer to stay here and receive updates from someone with a different point of view than my own.

Posted by: psps23 | May 14, 2008 11:39 AM

Posted by: Anonymous | May 14, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

First of all, and this is addressed to everyone. My point is in the news business if you report a story from another news outlet you give that outlet credit. and to Rando because I dont like some of the views the beat reporter presents doesnt mean that I dont like the blog you moron. that is as stupid as saying if you are against the war then you are against the troops. you self righteous people kill me acting like people dont have free speech. the beat reporter can write what he wants and so can I.
now if you dont like that then you go to arsewipe.com

Posted by: Great One | May 14, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

From top of post:

"The Miami Herald is reporting that a fifth suspect has been arrested in the killing of Sean Taylor, citing Miami-Dade prosecutors. According to the Herald, Timothy Brown, 16, has been charged with first-degree murder under a sealed warrant.".....

Posted by: Self Indulgent cL | May 14, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

I want to think "justice" is being served in this case -- and I'm relieved that "justice" in this case won't include the death penalty -- but to be honest I don't want to hear any more details of that tragic night, the senseless shooting perpetrated by those kids, who are so young and appear to be such idiots...

I can't imagine that any information that comes out of this case will make us feel any better about this tragedy, or help us make any sense of it, or leave us with anything positive.... as chRIs LaRRy said, nothing about this case is going to change the fact that those stupid kids shot and killed Sean Taylor.

So incredibly sad.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 14, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

So now you don't like our troops....

Posted by: Rando | May 14, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Dont make an adult comment and then when someone checks you on it, you turn around and become immature.

Nate in the PDX I respect your opinion.

Posted by: Great One | May 14, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Oh Great One (bowing),

Your free speech kicks azz, I would never question that. Type on bro! But you did say there was no attribution to Herald, but yet there was. Clearly stated in first paragraph.

Comments?

Posted by: chris Larry | May 14, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

The point of a blog is to stir up conversation. I never said that I dont like what the beat reporter is doing. his job is to report news but also stir up a conversation peice for us bloggers. but you have these self proclaimed blog police who want to tell you what to write and what not to write. then they are the same ones screaming that the blog is dead because no one is posting a new thread or comments. let people say what they want, state your opinion and feel free to rebudle someone else's opinion without telling to go to another blog.

Posted by: Great One | May 14, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Great One | May 14, 2008 11:42 AM

jlc credited the Herald. Are you inferring that he should have credited ESPN, who had already credited the Herald?

Not sure what Journalist School you attended!

Posted by: Anonymous | May 14, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

I view my skins with rose colored glasses. It seems to me that many of you see JLC through those same type of glasses. I thought he was a man and does not need the defending that many of you choose to give to him. If he choses to write the way he does on a public blog, then he will get criticism.

From reading the posts he makes, I would say that he has a negative opinion of the skins. That's fine. I think he has an agenda. That's my opinion. And I am entitled to post it here. If you do not like my opinions don't read them, but don't tell me as many here are told to go somewhere else. Or tell me if you want, but I will not be going.

ARE's injury was not due to 6 straight days of practice. Portis' was probably due to his race with LaRon. Campbell's is probably the only one that can definitely be tied to the practice.

So I would say that this is just another shot at the skins from JLC.

Posted by: donj | May 14, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

JASNO SEZ....BRING 'EM ON !!!

Heck, i wouldn't be surprised to learn half the negative posts on this blog ABOUT Jasno are FROM Jasno or his stooges posting anonymously.

The other half are a mix of those who think Redskins.Com is the Be All and End All of Redskin reporting and those at Redskin Park who still have their computers unblocked.

But for those of you who think these ignorant cheap shots (as contrasted to appropriate cheap shots) HURT Jasno, you really don't understand how Media works these days.

Those monitoring the Blog don't care about content, they only count #s of posts. Wow, Jasno had 1000 posts responding to his item the other day? It's working!

Why? Because he's controversial, and stirs up the rubes. It's a trick learned from the Madonna playbook. Today, more than ever ANY PUBLICITY is good publicity. Or do you still believe it's a coincidence that Paula Abdul dons her Stupid Hat right before sweeps?

Infamy is the same thing as fame these days. Bottom line is what counts. And in an era when newspapers would do almost ANYTHING to get more eyeballs, JASNO is a role model.

I'm sorry, does my azz seem cynical in these rants?

Posted by: Corkczar | May 14, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Chris Larry, you are totally correct. I overlooked that peice in order to make my point about the multiple times that we have gotten news late. but I recognize that this particular post did give credit, and for that I appologize.

Posted by: Great One | May 14, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

no worries great one....you seem like a dude who likes to have his arguement lined up correct, just helpin!

Posted by: chris Larry | May 14, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

++++Cool....our new pro scout was promoted from a courier position. What's next.........a bus boy from Johnny Rockets?!

Posted by: | May 14, 2008 11:15 AM++++

Nope. he turned down the Redskins offer and signed for less money with the Carolina Panthers.

Posted by: Corkczar | May 14, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

The Zar comes un-corked!

I am with you bro! Cynics are just realist with a cranky disposition!

Posted by: chris Larry | May 14, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

donj,

disagree if you want, post what you want. nobody is arguing that. you say he'll get criticism for the way he writes, and i'll say he'll get reciprocating defenses for the exact same reason.

personally, i think it's wrong when people accuse him of making up news and sources without any basis whatsoever, and then call for him to be fired from his job. i don't think he, especially when the people calling for it have NO basis, deserves that type of slander. again, you're free to post what you want, but somebody will more than likely always defend it when it becomes personal.

Posted by: psps23 | May 14, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Great One | May 14, 2008 12:05 PM

You can say what you want great one, free speech and type and all. But you ignored a fact to rant about Jasno to make your point and peeps called you on that point.

So dont get all upset and calling into question your rights. We are just pointing out that your ax you are griding has a slant. And you will manipulate the facts to try and make a point which doesnt hold water.

Posted by: Zebra | May 14, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Corky, you reminded me... not sure if anyone has linked to this, but yesterday Dan Steinberg -- apparently vexed by the fact that the Sports Bog hasn't cultivated the prolific commenting community that some other blogs have, despite the Bog's good performance otherwise -- posted the following question:

"...if you do happen to be reading this, I have a question: moving forward, what might a moderately successful newspaper-supported sports blogger do to attract more regular commenters and more bitingly hysterical comments? Is all that's required a question mark at the end of every entry?

Kind of interesting. Steinbog sounds genuinely vexed about how you develop a large, active commenting community like the one we enjoy so much up here.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 14, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Steinbog, Nate, should know that his topics are all over the place. As someone stated, we come here for skins news, and have many 'feelings' or ruminations about that topic.

He has so many differeing area he covers, which I love reading, but there is no reciprcol back and forth since he doesnt have a core audience.

Dont know if you were asking for us to answer why, but that is what I think at the very least!

Posted by: Zebra | May 14, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Now that I have gotten my rant out of the way. I actually applaud what the redskins are doing. If you want different results you have to do something different. i am glad that we are not doing things like other teams because we do not want to be like other teams, we want to be better. I am so tired of us trying to play copycat instead of being the trend-setters in the business.

Posted by: Great One | May 14, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

If you're not self serving or self indulging, then do you really care about yourself?

It's all about me, all the time.

As for JLa and his sources, couldn't he get fired for making stuff up? He's a family man, do you really think he'll jeopardize all that away just to spin a story? Its also my understanding that the thread is edited. Don't you think that who ever does the editing would also face some sort of disciplinary action? Sometimes its good to evaluate before making rash conclusions.

Posted by: Red | May 14, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Aye, Zeebs, I think that was the dominant theme in the comments posted on Steinbog in response to his question. And I said the same thing in the response I posted.

Seems hard to get your audience as locked in and dedicated without a "hook" like the Skins.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 14, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Don't any of you people watch Dirt? To get good insider info you have to be a hot 24 year old blonde, willing to do "whatever it takes" to get the scoop. Can't blame Jasno because he didn't "break" the story.....boo-frickin-hoo!

Posted by: dlhaze | May 14, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

psps,

I do not think he should get fired, this IS his post. Like many, I come here for any skins news that I can but have a different view of the skins than JLC and many other fans do.

My opinion is he is anti skins. I just don't think that people should be told to go elsewhere because they call out JLC's views or disagree with him.

I agree with your response, about being nasty in the comments. No need for that.

And think that corkczar hit it on the nail with his post. The game is getting responses/comments/hits to his post and attention to the WP.

Posted by: donj | May 14, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

**** BEER POST ****

"Is American beer any good?",
by Josh Rubin, BEER REPORTER

(And how many of us who grew up to become reporters regret not becoming BEER reporters?)

*** END BEER POST ***

- .250

Posted by: Anonymous | May 14, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Zebra my dear Zebra: I do not have a axe to grind nor will I manipulate facts. As I stated I over looked that post and apologized. but my opinion has not changed. further more you can tell that his sources have dried up since EB left. going even further if you check I have supported the beat writer on some things and slammed him on some things. I am completely unbiased in my approach and call it like it is. back to my original point, this post is called "Redskins Insider" which means that we should get inside information, but we steadily get watered down information that is either opinion or late from another news source. You dont think that is a little misleading Zebra? and I am not a redskins extrem person, that site sucks.

Posted by: Great One | May 14, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

4-12/.250, in the new media, and especially up here, aren't we all beer reporters?

Posted by: Anonymous | May 14, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Ok, i thought you said you overlooked that fact on purpose to make your point.

True about RI, maybe WAPO Skins Beat Reporter... but then that sounds lame.

Bonus Points for not liking extremeskins

Posted by: Zebra | May 14, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

People Why in the world would we want the beat reporter fired. that doesnt make sense. so what if he anti-redskin, when he is not here to give us his negative post or happy hour updates or DJ shout outs Or Wire reviews Or Nationals and Captitals game reviews we would have nothing to talk about. I mean what do you expect him to do, write boring media reports about stuff going on at redskins park, that's boring. Keep up the great negativity Beat reporter you give us stuff to fuss about amongst ourselves.

Posted by: Great One | May 14, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone watch Paradise Hotel 2?

Posted by: 4th | May 14, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

I watched 1 4th, I wish that was on HBO and had some 'real sex' esque flow. Def some crazy yet hot peeps there.

Posted by: Zebra | May 14, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

My take on what makes it an "Inside" blog is the bloggers. If you think about it, Jasno's posts have information, but the steady stream of information from great folks like you is the real "inside info". It is what makes the blog a living organism (and really pisses off the traditional press). Living in Ohio I do not get the everyday skins discussions, thus making my information outsider info I guess. But the steady stream of blog activity here is a source of discussion for me and every other "outsider". So you see it is the blog itself that is the Redskins Insider, not just the initial post by Jasno. Just my philosophy people...

Posted by: OhioTransplant | May 14, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Point well taken ohio. I know someone will have a link to something at least NFL realted here that I cant find anywhere else and that made me stay for the jibba

Posted by: Zebra | May 14, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Aye Nate. But based on the byline, this Rubin fella actually gets paid to report on beer.
Of course, we're getting paid (hopefully) while up here reporting/discussing beer, axes, maps, etc.

- .250

Posted by: Anonymous | May 14, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Great One,

Totally agree. Why would we want to fire him? I love overlooking the numerous praises JLC's made about this organization and players. I love spinning legitimate questions about the organization into some sort of anti-redskins, hater criticism. I love to forget his numerous scoops and predictions on possible interviewees, trades for Chad Johnson, interests in possible personnel moves, etc. Gosh darnit, without JLC we'd have nothing to spin, criticize, blindly overlook, or grind our axe against. We need him for this blog.

Posted by: psps23 | May 14, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Way to copy a report from another news outlet.

Posted by: Great One | May 14, 2008 11:28 AM

Way to whine, assclown.

Posted by: The Truth | May 14, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | May 14, 2008 12:50 PM

Plus...we'd have noone to teach us how to mercilessly "spin, criticize, blindly overlook, or grind our axe against."

Posted by: Anonymous | May 14, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

what is the difference between rap and hip-hop?

Posted by: Anonymous | May 14, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

OHIO,

Being that you live in Ohio, how does that make you a Ohio Transplant? Just some stupid humor!!

Posted by: CLEGG | May 14, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Here here! We're all of us Insiders up here......
Besides, what's in a name? A quote from Harlem Nights (Eddie Murphy's funniest movie, IMO):
"Look, just cuz your name's Lady Heroine don't mean ya gotta run around sellin' the stuff".......
If you haven't figured out that this is not the only site to get Skins info, and that Jasno isn't the first to break every story, shame on you.......It's all about the jibba jabba. I doubt changing the name of the blog will satiate the haters.
Before anyone gets on me, I agree that everyone has the right to criticize whoever they want. And that we're all being hypocritical when we are being critical of the critics. I just get tired of the same people going on and on about an axe to grind, or how the beat reporter should move to Baltimore. It just gets tiresome when it gets so negative, even nasty......and to say he makes up things is totally ludicrous (see Chad Johnson trade).......

Posted by: dlhaze | May 14, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: | May 14, 2008 12:15 PM

Maybe Steinberg is "Great One". With so much free time on his hands and no regular antagonists, Bogboy might post anonymously here just to have something to do.

Posted by: Just wonderin' | May 14, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

The Truth, I posted that at 11:28am and you replied with that. It took you almost an hour and a half to come up with a response and that is all you could come up with. I ask you my friend who is the clown?

Posted by: Great One | May 14, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

I'm tired from the gym so I have nothing to add other than I'd like a prison guy posting to make me giggle.

Also, cl, manny was 2-3, or 2-4 last night for your fantasy team. He wanted me to ask you how much longer you need him to keep this up?

Posted by: Greg | May 14, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Great One | May 14, 2008 1:03 PM

Not all of us live our lives on here 24/7, which results in time gaps like that. I was just catching up. But that was just my initial reaction to your first post here. Your subsequent posts contained good logic and rationale. Well done!

Posted by: The Truth | May 14, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Maybe we should all sign a petition to get prison balls transferred down to Dade county. Take care of those punks Texas justice style.

Posted by: dlhaze | May 14, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Not sure who commented on it, but not all of Jason's entries here are edited. It's usually fairly easy to pick out the posts that are unedited.

Posted by: The Truth | May 14, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Great One | May 14, 2008 1:03 PM

Posted by: The Truth | May 14, 2008 1:14 PM

I thought they were all just as pathetic as the first. Therefore, your tardy response still withstood the test of time.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 14, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze | May 14, 2008 1:16 PM

Or maybe PB could be transferred to a Texas prison, where he could act as our own personal "Cowboys Insider".

Posted by: not SMACK | May 14, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CLEGG | May 14, 2008 12:56 PM

Maybe he's an Ohio implant?

Posted by: Anonymous | May 14, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: | May 14, 2008 12:26 PM

Anon,

Are you a reporter or speak hypothetically about being one?

Posted by: Anonymous | May 14, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

The off season training definitely needed to improve from the Gibbs II era. The offense often had trouble executing plays consistently and experienced way to many injuries. Hard to say how much was a result of the scheduled OTAs and training camp vs. coaches and trainers. But I have high hopes that the Zorn era will improve the mental toughness + the speed and physical execution of offensive plays.

Of course players will hedge on the side of not wanting to practice... So, I agree that JLC should have asked coach Zorn or read one of the many archived articles on Redskins.com (for instance: http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=35818), where Zorn explains his off season philosophy -- BTW, JLC was not present at the OTA sessions and missed those informative interviews.

I wonder how teams JLC really contacted? For instance, did he discuss off season training with other West Coast offense teams (like the Seahawks, Packers, Eagles, or Titans) to determine how they practice?

Posted by: Siris | May 14, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Anons conversating with anons?

Posted by: Red | May 14, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

anyone seen my keys laying around?

Posted by: Kegger | May 14, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Giants Pierce rips Cowboys T.O. for crying

Giants LB Antonio Pierce, appearing as a guest host on FSN's "Best Damn Sports Show Period," on Terrell Owens guest acting in a sitcom: ?We gave him his first audition. After our game, he was crying and boo-hooing. We started his career. He should thank us.?

-- Best Damn Sports Show Period

Posted by: 4th | May 14, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Be clear that I am not "anon".

I am more affectionately known as "No Name"

Posted by: Anonymous | May 14, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

4th, Pierce needs to practice what he preachs. And shut his yapper.

Posted by: Greg | May 14, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Great One needs a timeout.

Posted by: Chia Pet | May 14, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Flushable moist wipes are where it's at.

Posted by: Chia Pet | May 14, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Greg:

Tell Manny I need him all year, no let downs...and yes he was 2/3 last night but he did ground into a DP with basesloaded and no outs...

Posted by: chris Larry | May 14, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

So many arm chair blog reporters, you would think they would just start one of their own.

I *heart* JLa.

Posted by: Chia Pet | May 14, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Hmm, maybe we can cancel the new HOF multi-media wing in Canton. Some of the promised content may be non-existent.

Posted by: stumped | May 14, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

CL,

That's just Manny being Manny; take the good with the bad.

Posted by: Chia Pet | May 14, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Hey my name's no name too...

I did a crossword the other day and one of the answers was "shiv." I immediately thought of that Prison Balls guy. First I groaned, and then I giggled.

Posted by: Niemann | May 14, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Stumped, I love how Kraft laments how the extended investigation of Spygate "took away from an 18-0 Super Bowl season." Yes, it sure did.

As I recall, there was some other thing, though, that took away from that 18-0 Super Bowl season... something else... what was it again?... oh, that's right, it was losing the freakin' Super Bowl.

Bunch of jerks. F the Pats.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 14, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

cl, consider it done.

Pencil him in for .320, 41 HR, 115 RBI, and 100 runs.

Glad to help.

Posted by: Greg | May 14, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Red,

What's so sad?

Sean Taylor being killed or those guys going to jail?

I don't give a rats A$$ about those guys; I hope they rot in prison til death at age 90.

Posted by: joe | May 14, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Hold up, Greg. I have rather enjoyed being with chRIs LaRRy at the bottom of the standings in this stupid flingin' flangin' fantasy league. If Manny catches fuego, I'll be down in the cellar all by myself.

Man, do I suck at fantasy sports.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 14, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure the Pats deserves an apology in this case...seems like they brought that SJK on themselves.

Are they still looking for excuses for letting the Giants hand it to them?

Posted by: stumped | May 14, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Man, do I suck at fantasy sports.

Posted by: | May 14, 2008 2:17 PM

--------------------

Hey Nate, what sports do you NOT suck at?

Just curious...

Posted by: Chia Pet | May 14, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Great One needs a timeout.

Posted by: Chia Pet | May 14, 2008 1:56 PM

I was thinking he needed a name change before he gets sued for false and misleading advertising.

Posted by: talent evaluator | May 14, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

The Gints taught us all the value of a meaty pass rush; like a good lasagna, it sticks to the ribs.

Posted by: Chia Pet | May 14, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Beer drinking is not a sport.

Posted by: Chia Pet | May 14, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

chia,
You're turning it into a difficult question.
How about drinking, in general?
(still thinking)

Posted by: stumped | May 14, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Nate, here is a tip from your pal Greg.

Get Gagne as your closer

Ian Kennedy as one of your starters, Phil Hughes as another, and Posada as your catcher. Trade for Jim Edmonds, oh, and Julio Lugo is a MUST HAVE!!! Keep that between us.

Pats fans are in an uproar over this whole Boston Herald issue. It was completely irresponsible, and incorrect of them to run that story. That will not change the fact that they lost the super bowl.

They brought it on themselves, however. If they don't get pinched for the taping of the other teams signals, we're not having this discussion.

Posted by: Greg | May 14, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Flushable moist wipes are where it's at.

Posted by: Chia Pet | May 14, 2008 2:03 PM

They're made by the same company that brings us losable type.

Posted by: talent evaluator | May 14, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Chia Pet, What is your position or Title?

Posted by: Great One | May 14, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Hey Great One,

I have no position or title.

I am an inanimate object; a clay figurine, one designed to grow sprouts that when in full bloom, resemble hair, big poofy green hair.

Posted by: Chia Pet | May 14, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

If anyone wants to fight, I'll be at the McDonald's in Vienna on Rt. 123 after work.

Bare knuckles.
Above the waist.
There will be blood.

Posted by: Dorf | May 14, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Dorf,

I would if I could.

Posted by: Chia Pet | May 14, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Bare knuckles.
Above the waist.
There will be blood.

Posted by: Dorf | May 14, 2008 2:35 PM

Good choice of venue -- today's the day that McDonald's is giving away those free Southern Style Chicken sandwiches (with purchase of medium drink).

Posted by: talent evaluator | May 14, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Chia, I am really, really good at this.

But I'm not sure if this is a sport.

It's certainly not that other thing, the thing that sween mentioned a few days ago that begins with "w".

Posted by: Anonymous | May 14, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Bite your tongue Nate....in our ArtMonktothesticks FBaseBall league I suck,,,but in my long time league where I have Manny, I am in second! I rule at fantasy sports..

whateves...I have been told I am self indulgent...to that I say:

Thats just ChRiS lArRy being ChRiS LARRy

Posted by: chris Larry | May 14, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Great One,

Any issues with the blog should be directed towards TE; quality control is his dept.

If TE is unavailable; contact Nate in the PDX.

Posted by: Chia Pet | May 14, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Chia Pet, I was wondering what your position or title was in the RI police department.
I mean sometimes I do not know if this redskins insider of Police Academy Citizen on Patrol

Posted by: Great One | May 14, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Chia, I thought you made it clear that your position was on a windowsill. Now you're backing off that statement? Was that quote taken out of context?

I am so confused.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 14, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

I never said I had issues with the blog, I only expressed my opinion. Just like yourself.

Posted by: Great One | May 14, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Chia, can you have skippy and his metal plated head help TA with quality control....

Posted by: Greg | May 14, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

I have no opinion, and yes, my position is unchanged; on the sill, but it's nothing official.

What begins with "w?"

Now I'm so confused...

Posted by: Chia Pet | May 14, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

TA or TE?

Head is spinning...

Posted by: Chia Pet | May 14, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Good news! I got the day wrong on the McDonald's free chicken sandwiches and biscuits! It's tomorrow, not today. And I'm really glad about this because I was planning to visit all the McDonald's and was really feeling dumb that it's already 2:48 and I haven't had a single free sandwich. That's why there was no line outside the McDonald's at 18th and Columbia Rd.

Dorf -- Can you put the big fight off until tomorrow? You'll get a better audience when there's free chicken sandwiches. Just a suggestion, in case your anger can wait.

Posted by: talent evaluator | May 14, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

((( What begins with "w?" )))

yes, it does.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 14, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Quite frankly Chia Pet and others I dont like the double standard. It is ok for the beat writer to bash Snyder and Cerratto and anything skins related but if I say something about the beat writer I am wrong or dislike the blog. That is a double standard to me.

Posted by: Great One | May 14, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Great One - There is no double standard. The "regulars", who have posted for a while now, get tired of people jumping on and saying the exact same thing about JLC and his posts. If you had the same criticism but did it in an entertaining or humorous way then the reaction would be much different.

Most of us "up here" came for the football and stayed for the jibba jabba.

Posted by: BCBarney | May 14, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Great One? Maybe.
Welcome back Rudy? Maybe too.

Posted by: unregistered | May 14, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Great One,

Nothing personal.

You are welcome here, friend, but also a victim of the "self regulation" that characterizes this particular blog.

No double standard; the standard is evenly applied.

Posted by: Chia Pet | May 14, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Great One | May 14, 2008 2:43 PM

GO--You can find all the positions listed on the Redskins Insider Wiki. Chia is correct, he doesn't have a position:

Posted by: talent evaluator | May 14, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Dorf, given your recent automobingus, I'd recommend you wear one of those boxing helmets.

But then again, I'd recommend against fisticuffs in just about any scenario. I'm a lover, not a fighter.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 14, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

GO,
I'll acknowledge the double standard.

As Skins fans we're one big family. The ownership in this case plays the part of the substance abusing relative that's using and playing everyone for all they're worth.

In this same analogy, we're all invited over to Uncle Jason's to a virtual cocktail party to share stories. It's rude to spew venom at your host (even though he is your uncle, metaphorically speaking). Sure a snide remark about his human foibles and short-comings, and you/we may not agree with his politics or taste in music, but we all know him.

We're glad to be here and he throws a SJK of a party.

Cheers GO!

Posted by: stumped | May 14, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Maybe these 5 "kids" should be released to the Redskins and participate in training came as tackling dummies or participate in "Bull in the Ring" drills. I'd love to see how the Redskin players would get the their due.

Posted by: Alan | May 14, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Chia, it starts with "w" and it ends with "k" and it's often unpleasant and always detracts from primo blog time, though sometimes it can't be avoided. And there are these people who keep sending me emails and leaving voice messages about it, asking me to do more of it.

Does that help?

Posted by: Anonymous | May 14, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Maybe these 5 "kids" should be released to the Redskins and participate in training came as tackling dummies or participate in "Bull in the Ring" drills. I'd love to see how the Redskin players would get their due.

Posted by: Alan | May 14, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Now I get it!

Thanks, Nate.

Posted by: Chia Pet | May 14, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Greg | May 14, 2008 2:47 PM

Greg, I think it would be difficult for Skippy to take on quality control. Poor little guy has a metal plate in his head. I know he'd try, but he'd make a botch of it and would be embarassed in front of all of us.

I think bonus points are about Skippy's limit. How you doing with those, by the way?

Posted by: Anonymous | May 14, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

BCBarney, if you would take a moment to read the entire comments for today you will see I have taken some serious swipes at the beat writer and some upbeat comical swipes-(ie-Wire, DJ, and nationals jokes)

You know i take the time to create a name and not be an ANon and be part of the community. sometimes i think that some of you regulars dont want any new people. Maybe one day I can be a Regular and look down my nose at others, but until then I blog on

Posted by: Great One | May 14, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Wank?

Posted by: Anonymous | May 14, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

How am I doing with my bonus points? Was that the question? Are you kidding me? I'm doing great, I filled up my tank with gas today, heck, I even dumped 5 gallons on the ground just because I have so many bonus points. Last night it was a little chilly so I crumpled a bunch of them up in the fire place and made a fire.

Oh, trust me, I've figured out how to use them, I mean, I've got it locked down.....

Posted by: Greg | May 14, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

whateves...I have been told I am self indulgent...to that I say:

Thats just ChRiS lArRy being ChRiS LARRy

Posted by: chris Larry | May 14, 2008 2:41 PM

cL-- I did not say that you were self indulgent. I said that your self indulgence was nauseating. Everyone has a degree of self indulgence. It's just that, coming from you, any degree of self indulgence is nauseating.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 14, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Great One | May 14, 2008 3:12 PM

Well said, just don't sell out!

Posted by: Anonymous | May 14, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Gentleman: Please, enough already,Sean Taylor is gone and all this back and forth bickering won't bring him back. CHILL PLEASE!!!

Posted by: dargregmag@aol.com | May 14, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Why bother to look down your nose when you're obviously having so much fun looking up it?

Inverted snobbery is still snobbery Barno, sorry GO.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 14, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

I'll give everyone 10,000 bonus points out of my own pocket if we can all start to get along.

Posted by: Greg | May 14, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

GO - I've read all of the comments from today. I was referring to the initial swipes. You asked about what you felt was a double standard, I replied as I saw it. Everyone that has attempted to add to the jibba jabba has generally been accepted. It's the things like your initial swipes that get yelled down.
Also, I don't consider myself a "regular". I tend to post a handful of times a month. However, I do lurk and read about 90-95% of the comments. I must also say that I've liked your comments once you got going.

Posted by: BCBarney | May 14, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Great One is Barno. He's back.

Posted by: Captain Obvious | May 14, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Great One | May 14, 2008 3:12 PM

The way you've started, I think you'll follow in the footsteps of some other great ones: Barno, Jack, Liberal Mike.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 14, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

I'll take some bonus points Greg! Do you know if they work in Rhode Island? It has the same state code as Redskins Insider, RI. I live around the corner from RI and those points sure could come in handy.

Posted by: BCBarney | May 14, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Great one, I know this isn't your first day posting but it seems like you've kind of made the full arc since this morning, from an initial burst of antagonism (giving and receiving) to a period of relatively fun, good-hearted banter. It should come as no surprise that I prefer the latter, and I welcome you.

I will take issue with the notion that perhaps "some of you regulars dont want any new people." I don't know anybody among the "regulars" who doesn't welcome new voices in this silly, wonderful conversation. What tends to get people defensive up here is obscenity, personal attacks/unfettered meanness, and such overtly provocative nonsense.

Being familiar with maps does help, but only just such as.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 14, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

personal attacks/unfettered meanness, and such overtly provocative nonsense.

Is there really a difference?!

Posted by: Anonymous | May 14, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

I must say in my personal opinion... those dumb as* boys, will get what they deserve. KARMA IS A BITC*. Although they may not get the death penalty, they will get a mandatory life sentence.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 14, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

No matter what is said, or who says it. we are all "insider". so whether you agree with me or disagree with me all I can say is

I LOVE YOU GUYS

Posted by: Great One | May 14, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Nate - on my trip down to Philly/Balt/DC/Cooperstown for baseball games, I got to drink Dead Guy Ale from Rogue Ales. Since Rogue Ale is based in your corner of the country and seem to be pretty wide spread, was curious of your take on them? My opinion was that I loved Dead Guy Ale. Actually called the Ruby Tuesdays where I had it after I got home to find out more information.

Posted by: BCBarney | May 14, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Those bonus points are not good for betting. At least not with anyone who is in the know about bonus points!

Posted by: Curzon417 | May 14, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

*gives a metaphorical pat on the shoulder*

Oh. Well I guess we love you too Great One.

Posted by: Redcoat | May 14, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

GO;

The difference between anons and named is either we dont respond to anons, or we flame anons. But anons arent the only ones who get flamed. I did for bringing up non-football.

Either way, if you are treated the same as when you were anon, I doubt your style in posting has changed.

But notice no one is saying go away, they are engaging you, even if it is in the vein of challenging your views.

Just dont try to take it personally.

Posted by: Zebra | May 14, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

I really really hope they convict those boys !!!!

HAIL 21

Posted by: Jessie | May 14, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

bcb, I'll need your social security number, as well as $1,000 cash to make it happen. I mean, your bonus points are worth MUCH more than that, so you're getting a complete bargain.

Oh and they're good ANYWHERE....especially gas stations....when you have no pants on....

Posted by: Greg | May 14, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

And, Great One, if it will help you to feel more at home, as regular as everyone else, go over to the Wiki and sign up as a member, post your picture here:

and enter your biography here:

Posted by: talent evaluator | May 14, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

And to that, it is not really that anons cant post, just that most do just to say inflammatory things and get yelled down and then ultimately ignored.

But peeps who post with a name and flame get flamed (see Barno)

Peeps who stay anon and keep a convo going wont be ignored.

Posted by: Zebra | May 14, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Great One,

If you disagree with JLC for criticizing Vinny, why not just defend Vinny? Why attack JLC? Eventually this is going to just turn into another espn message board with personal attacks flying everywhere and nobody actually making a point. That's something i definitely DON'T want.

Posted by: psps23 | May 14, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

I LOVE YOU GUYS

Posted by: Great One | May 14, 2008 3:30 PM

Pardon me while I PUKE.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 14, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

I dont take any of this personally, and I have never posted anon. whether you like me or dislike doesnt bother me. somedays I feel like stiring up the pot with negative post, somedays I fell like being quiet, somedays I feel like being positive and sometimes I feel I need to Run away I got to get Away.

Posted by: Great One | May 14, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

I really really hope they convict those boys !!!!

Posted by: Jessie | May 14, 2008 3:37 PM

Good thing Johnnie Cochran's dead or he'd try to do for them what he did for OJ.

Posted by: talent evaluator | May 14, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

PSPS23,
I do not like vinny or Dan, why can I not make a post about the beat writer without having to take sides?
just because i might not like a particular player on the redskins(ie- when we had warrick holdman)didnt mean I didnt like the redskins.
I am tired of talking to people about the beat writer that was so this morning.

Posted by: Great One | May 14, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

As the great Creasy said, its not my job to judge. Thats between them and God. It is my job to arrange the meeting.

Posted by: Zebra | May 14, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Great One | May 14, 2008 3:45 PM

Maybe you should try to adjust the dosage of your medication.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 14, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

I have an idea so great that my head would explode if I began to know what I am talking about...

Posted by: Zebra | May 14, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Who thinks that we can run a Hybrid defense this year between a 4-3,3-4, and a 4-6. instead of having a base set this year our defense will be predicated off of our opponent. Meaning if we play an opponent that is particularly having trouble with a 3-4 defense then swithching to more 3-4 in that game?

Posted by: Great One | May 14, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

"Tainted Love" Great One?

Posted by: Redcoat | May 14, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

I like it, but who would be our 4th LB... if Rocky isnt back?

Did we keep the old vet LB whos name escapes me, Godfrey?

Posted by: Zebra | May 14, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Great One | May 14, 2008 3:53 PM

This seems too cute and too complex at the same time. The defense was ranked eighth last year. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

It's hard enough to master one defense, much less three.

Posted by: talent evaluator | May 14, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

The Fins ran a hybrid 3-4/4-3 last year.

Need I say more.....

Posted by: Redcoat | May 14, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

"An Evil Petting Zoo?"

Posted by: Club 320 | May 14, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

I disagree TE, I believe that if it aint broke, break it. here's why it wasn't broke the season before last when our defense fell of the earth. we never recovered. I think that sometimes people say dont fix it, I only agree with that when it pertains to the players. i think keep the same players and continually tweak the system to get better and find out what doesnt work? any objection

Posted by: Great One | May 14, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

have you seen my baseball?

Posted by: Anonymous | May 14, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Redcoat, So did the Ravens season before last ( Record 13-3)

Posted by: Great one | May 14, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

franks and beans...

Posted by: Anonymous | May 14, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

franks and beans!! franks and beans!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | May 14, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

And how did they do with it last year?

Posted by: Redcoat | May 14, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Andre Carter could serve as our 4th linebacker in that set. he played LB in SF. that we would be a perfect fit since most outside LB's in 3-4 still pass rush. you could run Gholston, Montgomery, and Griffin as your linemen because 3-4 linemen need to occupy space. you could even rotate chris wilson in at LB or DE depending on situation

Posted by: Great One | May 14, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

GO = sam3

Posted by: Anonymous | May 14, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

I think that we can all agree that last year they still had a good defense ask the patriots, if the ravens would have not played the patriots the way they did the giants would have not had a recipe for success on how to beat them. the ravens damaged them and showed the world how to beat them. the only problem was the ravens had no offense where the giants had enough to win.

Posted by: Great One | May 14, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

I thought Carter wanted out of SF after a horrible season where they tried to use him as 4th LB and he wasn't very good?

I freely admit to being no kind of expert on this stuff but I'm sure I've read and heard repeatedly that the Skins don't have the personnel for a 3-4, even if they only run it 'part-time'.

Again I thought that was a big part of the decision to go for Blache, as the other options would have meant retooling the defense too.

Posted by: Redcoat | May 14, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

The defense was ranked eighth last year. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Posted by: talent evaluator | May 14, 2008 3:58 PM

It's an illusion, we're not the same defense as last year without Greggg running the show.

And actually towards the end of the season, one of the things I liked most was the defense's ability to adapt game-to-game. I agree a 4-3, 3-4 hybrid would be a bit much, but we did use the 4-6 during the Minnesota game. Of course our success last season was attributed to "simplifying" the scheme from the year before. Now my head's spinning in circles, and I have no idea what to think.

I say we line up 2 corners as down-lineman on 3rd & longs and speed rush the crap out of them.

Posted by: psps23 | May 14, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

One of the reasons Carter has been so much more successful in DC is because he's playing DE. He doesn't want to play LB.

What exactly was wrong with the defense last year that you think will be solved by this hybrid? And which teams on our schedule do you think would be better defended with a 3-4 defense?

Posted by: talent evaluator | May 14, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Andre Carter left SF because he didn't fit in and hated the 3-4.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 14, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

BCBarney,
Dead Guy is one of my favorites too. Rogue does an excellent job of keeping the micro feel in their micro-brews. I'm a little surprised they're distributing back east.

While my day-to-day ale favorite is probably Mirror Pond by Deschutes, I'll spring for an occasional Dead Guy. I'm not sure what it is about it, but it may be the yeast.

(Geesh, It's too early for me to be this thirsty.)

Posted by: stumped | May 14, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

i think it's funny that people take the time to post how much they hate JLC and his threads. if that's really the case, stop reading the RI.

Keep up the great work JLC!

Posted by: gibbs united | May 14, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

BCBarn, I am down with the Rogue brews. Dead Guy is pretty darn good.

Rogue has a newly opened bar in the PDX, concourse D. I do enjoy quaffing a few pints there before a flight.

And if you're vacationing on the Oregon Coast, you can drop the kids off at the Oregon Aquarium and hit the Rogue brewery tour, right down the street.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 14, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Great One | May 14, 2008 3:12 PM

Me thinks 'Great One' is a long time reg.

No one is a suspect at the moment, but I may soon have persons of interest.....

Posted by: Blog Private Eye | May 14, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: | May 14, 2008 4:18 PM

They study the fish while you drink like one? "Uh, sorry, kids I forgot that the aquarium closed at 5:00. So what did you do for the last three hours?"

Posted by: talent evaluator | May 14, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

I am not talking about a permanent switch to 3-4 just on a as need bases. for instance for years the patriots have run a 3-4 but will stitch to 4-3 when needed against teams that it is to their benefit. you only need the personnel if it is your base set for the entire season due to wear and tear on defense. Teams like the Cowboys have a problem, if you remeber the bills game, the defense kept switching confusing them the entire game. they had everybody standing up on some plays, everybody at the line of scrimmage. the coybows, steelers, and the cardinals have trouble against the 3-4. i know that the steelers and sometimes cardinals run a 3-4, but they have struggled against it as well.

Posted by: Greeat One | May 14, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Nate/Stumped - I'd never even heard of them before dropping into a Ruby Tuesdays right outside the Philly Airport. I must say that I'm pretty impressed. I'll have to see if I can find the Mirror Pond at some point.
Never been to the west coast yet. Not looking for long travels for another couple of years. Hopefully be able to make it up that way.

Posted by: BCBarney | May 14, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

"Rogue has a newly opened bar in the PDX, concourse D."

(ding, ding, ding, ding, ding)

Jackpot.

And for all of you East coasters, most of the flights leave PDX early in the morning...so just imagine Nate quaffing a few pints at 0630, still bleary eyed from late-night blogging; and given the free WiFi, quaffing with one hand and blogging with the other.

...the image reminds me of a certain Chiapas bus ride.

Posted by: stumped | May 14, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Greeat One | May 14, 2008 4:24 PM

And the Cowboys had a bigger problem when they played against the 'Skins 4-3.

Posted by: talent evaluator | May 14, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Great One | May 14, 2008 3:12 PM

OH!? Are you of the Nantucket Great Ones? Us regulars didn't realize........My father always used to say, as we sipped mint julips and smoked cigars while we counted our Bonus Points: "Fine bunch, those Great Ones"....welcome, welcome indeed. Please join us in looking down our noses at those wretched anons. Filthy jackals.....always trying to get at our Bonus Points.

By the way you are really starting to sound like Seth-le-talk-show with all of this redesigning the defense and sounding so sure that it is a brilliant idea.....

Posted by: dlhaze | May 14, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Great one, uh, isn't it pretty common for just about every defense to show different looks through the course of the game, different formations and player personnel packages and situational subsitutions and switching from regular to black mouth guards?

I guess what I'm saying is, maybe we have been doing that thing you suggest, and will continue doing so, because it's a chess game out there, and everybody adjusts.

Also, Stumped, Rogue = redeye, brother! For a morning flight, you gotta go with a Bloody Mary.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 14, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

I dont know about you, but my ideas are brilliant to me. and I hope your ideas are brilliant to you.

Posted by: Great One | May 14, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

I feel pretty comfortable assuming the treatment these people will get will be similar to what a Dahmer or Pedophile would in a Florida jail.

While ST may not have been loved by everyone down here, his legend is powerful and he is revered.

Too many video games, people.

Posted by: The AMAZING Dik Shuttle of the Fabulous ShuttleLOUNGE | May 14, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

t_e, what, are you in the ad game or something? You just let a great slogan for the brewery/aquarium package: "While your kids see the fish, drink like a fish!"

BCBarn, we'll see you whenever you get here, dude.

-Nate

Posted by: Anonymous | May 14, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Holy moley, is that the AMAZING Dik Shuttle?!?!

You have been missed, dude.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 14, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

I guess I have to be humble to be an insider so here it goes

AAhhemmm:

ALL HAIL BEAT WRITER
ALL HAIL BEAT WRITER

Posted by: Great One | May 14, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Someone probably already posted this but ESPN preseason ranks are out. While these are somewhat meaningless at this point I always like to see the outside perspective on Redskins (and on my lowly Bengals)

Posted by: zornskins | May 14, 2008 5:12 PM | Report abuse

poop?

Posted by: Anonymous | May 14, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Yyyo Nate!

Yeah - I started trippin' about mid season last year & then they started doing better when I wasn't obsessing.

But hey - I don't need to defend Gibbs anymore 'cause he was ousted, so why not give it another go, rite?

Definitely thot about Thredskins alot, tho!

rok rok AUN!

Posted by: Dik Shuttle | May 14, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Great One,

Can you please call my office? There was a big mistake in your prescription, and that's why you're coming across like a random, deranged idiot. Let's get the meds right before you post again.

Posted by: Dr. Friedman | May 14, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

why are we lauding Jack Kerouac again?...

I'm just sayin'....

Posted by: Dik | May 14, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Good to see you back, Dik.

We have definitely had some issues with you Floridians... I think noone from Tampa had a connectivity problem and then you went AWOL. Though cosmofla does seem to drop in occasionally. Anyway, yes, it's a whole new season, er, I mean, a whole new offseason, when the blog really shines.

When are you bringing the Shuttle on tour to the Pac NW?

Posted by: Anonymous | May 14, 2008 5:26 PM | Report abuse

hey welcome back Dik!

Posted by: chris Larry | May 14, 2008 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Threadskins!
That's perfect...what we here.

Posted by: stumped | May 14, 2008 5:30 PM | Report abuse

what is the difference between rap and hip-hop?

Posted by: | May 14, 2008 12:56 PM

1. One begins with ra and the other begins with hi-ho.

2. about 50 cents.

3. white people can dance to hip-hop.

4. its ludacris to even discuss.

5. 2 years, 3 months, 1 week, 4 days, 5 hours, 46 minutes, 22 seconds.

6. you don't need a disco nap to rap.

Posted by: rb | May 14, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the warm welcome, kiidz!

My heart was always here. It's nice to dream again.

I'm very happy to see the regs here as well (the kryps are 4 later! he he he.)

I fired everyone in the act again. I did that because Ravelstein kept yelling that I was a Nazi everytime we went to play out! I hate that... I guess I should shave the little mustache.

Anyway - new job. new $$$. lots of news to come.

GO SKINS! BEAT DALLAS!

2 wins - that's all I ask.

I'll check in Mañana!

Posted by: Dik Shuttle | May 14, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

what is the difference between rap and hip-hop?

Posted by: | May 14, 2008 12:56 PM

Help me out here ... I'm trying to get to 10.

Posted by: rb | May 14, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

'' what is the difference between rap and hip-hop? ''

You mean they're not the same?

Posted by: white guy | May 14, 2008 5:37 PM | Report abuse

'' what is the difference between rap and hip-hop? ''

If you have to ask, you'll never understand.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 14, 2008 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Rap is something you do!
Hip-hop is something you live!

Posted by: KRS-One | May 14, 2008 5:50 PM | Report abuse

what is the difference between rap and hip-hop?

Posted by: | May 14, 2008 12:56 PM

If you have to ask, you'll never understand.

Posted by: | May 14, 2008 5:43 PM

You're the one who asked!

Posted by: Anonymous | May 14, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

There's nothing positive to be gotten from this, but I do hope that justice is done so as to make an example of these people and hopefully prevent this from happening to anyone else.

It does make one sad to see young people go so wrong.

Posted by: bdstauffer | May 14, 2008 6:04 PM | Report abuse

"Hip hop music is a genre of music typically consisting of a rhythmic style of speaking called rap over backing beats performed on a turntable by a DJ. Hip hop music is part of hip hop culture, which began in New York City in the 1970s, predominantly among African Americans and Latinos (two other elements are breakdancing and graffiti art). [1] The term rap is sometimes used synonymously with hip hop music, though it originally referred only to rapping itself."

Posted by: Wiki P. | May 14, 2008 6:04 PM | Report abuse

We welcome the return of Dik!

Posted by: Cindy | May 14, 2008 6:10 PM | Report abuse

this thang be broke.

Posted by: mixer | May 14, 2008 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Yes, yes, mixer. Very, very quiet up here.

Too quiet.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 14, 2008 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Is Cleveland really going to win that game tonight, in the place that replaced the Garden? Goodness.

And also, if the Celts go down in this series, can their collapse somehow be blamed on Belichick?

Posted by: Anonymous | May 14, 2008 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Blame it on barno

Posted by: Anonymous | May 14, 2008 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Did that guy ever get his CD?

Posted by: Anonymous | May 14, 2008 9:21 PM | Report abuse

The Dallas Morning News is reporting that Tony dumped Jess, not the other way around, as I suspected.

Wow, just wow!

Posted by: Chia Pet | May 14, 2008 9:52 PM | Report abuse

This just in from our dear friend, Perez Hilton. Some gritty on the Tony and Jess splitty:

---------------

Poor Jugs!

Jessica Simpson reportedly got good and wasted the day John Meyer "went public" with that thing he's having with Jennifer Aniston.

Jess was said to be very upset about John - not Tony Romo, the guy who JUST dumped her.

Romo supposedly dumped Simpson because she never really got over Mayer.

A tore up Jess dived into a 4 hour drinking session last week at Mexicali Cocina Cantina in L.A. to numb the pain she was feeling. Joining her was BFF Cacee Cobb and Cobb's boy, Scrubs actor Donald Faison.

Simpson got so plastered that she had to call her mom, Tina, for a ride home. (Thankfully she didn't drink and drive).

Cobb was reportedly sh*tfaced too, so she couldn't motor Jessica home. Cacee was SO drunk that she barfed under the table they were at.

Classy!

Posted by: Chia Pet | May 14, 2008 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Rudy Ray Moore?

Posted by: Anonymous | May 14, 2008 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Nas
De La Soul

Posted by: chris Larry | May 14, 2008 10:56 PM | Report abuse

joe gibbs and the gibbtones!

Posted by: cload & daggar | May 14, 2008 11:11 PM | Report abuse

not on here or the major sports news sites yet, but just heard on wusa's 11:00 news that one of 21's killers is gonna get 29 years in exchange for ratting out the others. here's what i could find online:

Posted by: 81 | May 14, 2008 11:21 PM | Report abuse

Jurassic 5?

Posted by: kost52 | May 15, 2008 12:57 AM | Report abuse

Looks like The Washington Post finally dumped Tony Kornheiser as a writer - too bad for him.

Posted by: Say It Ain't So! | May 15, 2008 3:30 AM | Report abuse

I hope these dudes get arse rapped for the rest of their lives.

Posted by: BigMurf08 | May 14, 2008 11:28 AM

This is the worst rap music out there. Imagine a lifetime in prison listening to arse rapping.

Posted by: talent evaluator | May 15, 2008 5:48 AM | Report abuse

Long live the Reaper!

Posted by: jm220 | May 15, 2008 7:22 AM | Report abuse

How can you guys talk music and not bring me up? I'm the only artist to win a Grammy in 3 different categories!

Posted by: Al Jarreau | May 15, 2008 7:27 AM | Report abuse

sic,

I disagree with lil wayne and any of the hot boys. If chingy aint on this list, niether are they.

Also, ATCQ, De La, Gangstar, The roots, Kayne and Common, Big L, Eric b and Rakim... those are the hip hop masters. All others are rappers who integrate hip hop.

It always seemed to me that hip hoppers sing more so than rappers who sort of talk and flow. And even hip hoppers that are 'talking' more so than singing do it better than rappers do - in terms of flow and poetry. At least to me.

Hip Hop also tends to be more positive or at least have an important message than rappers. In Da Club doesnt really speak to the african community as well as De La or Tribe. Of course, Im not african, but I have many friends who I have had discussions with about this issue over many a game of spades.

Posted by: Zebra | May 15, 2008 8:32 AM | Report abuse

"Of course, Im not african, but I have many friends who I have had discussions with about this issue over many a game of spades."

That is my qualification statement to prove that I am 'with it' in terms of the black community ;)

Posted by: Zebra | May 15, 2008 8:40 AM | Report abuse

And I always felt NAS was a good mix of both.

I def thing he is more of an impresario than Jay-Z.

Posted by: Zebra | May 15, 2008 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Hey sic, you've got some fly lyricist on your list. Out of all those, since I'm new school my favorites are Kiss and Wayne.

Their word play is like your moniker. The funny thing is if you ask both of them who is the greatest they will both say BIG.

"And y'all scared I can tell... I'ma get bucks like Milwaukee 'cause like Sam I Cassell" - Jadakiss

Posted by: Red | May 15, 2008 8:43 AM | Report abuse

too much coffee this morning....

Posted by: Zebra | May 15, 2008 8:44 AM | Report abuse

Chingy is terrible.

Posted by: Red | May 15, 2008 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Red,

BIG is the best rapper EVER... I always thought early Tupac was much better than later.

Also, I dont think lyricist = hip hop or rapper

I cant stand the horrible lyrics some of the new school puts out.

I would say raps golden age was 2000 2001 with Busta, Nas, Jay-Z, Wyclef and Fugees all holding their own.

Love Extinction Level Event and the Carnivale. I havent bought a rap album since those.

Posted by: Zebra | May 15, 2008 8:48 AM | Report abuse

this should say after the death of big and tupac.

Posted by: Zebra | May 15, 2008 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent evaluator | May 14, 2008 3:48 PM

Good thing?

Posted by: Anonymous | May 15, 2008 8:54 AM | Report abuse

I believe there is an example of 'arse rapping' about 1 minute into this clip.

If it's always that bad I'm with t_e, a lifetime of listening to that is a pretty heinous punishment.

Posted by: Redcoat | May 15, 2008 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alex35332 | May 15, 2008 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Zeb, yes there is a difference from rappers and lyricist. I think most of the dudes from the south are rappers. They irk me with some of their rhymes, if you want to call it that.
New York City has the only dudes you know about. It seems their rhymes are more lyric based then beat based. All you need nowadays is a catchy hook/course and beat. All of those things will assure you platnium status.

Posted by: Red | May 15, 2008 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Blackstar - i.e. Mos Def and Talib Kweli - still have the greatest and most underrated hip-hop album of all-time. I don't think I'll ever stop listening to that.

Posted by: psps23 | May 15, 2008 9:17 AM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: Zebra | May 15, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Zebra | May 15, 2008 8:40 AM

Whatever happened to tonk? do they still play tonk in the hood?

Posted by: rb | May 15, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Sic, you left DJ Quik off of that list.

Quik is an incredible musician (can play numerous instruments) and producer.... Quik's lyrics isn't top-notch, but he's FAR from shabby, either.

A longtime player in the hip-hop industry, who still blasts out some tight tracks with pretty, good & funny lyrics.

Posted by: PorkSkins | May 15, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse