Another Crazy Day At The Park (With Many More To Come)

Wow, what a day, huh? Coach Joe left Redskins Park feeling great, looking great, and going off to another delicious dinner at the Morton's in Reston, stopping by the media room to have some final laughs with the schlubs after signing autographs for a group of fans. The man is nothing if not classy. He may have failed at his quest, but he kept his reputation as a superior human being intact.

Me? Well, I'm, trying to pencil in my next shower and am glued to my phone, eating chips for dinner on the couch and trying not to wake Lauren, Chloe or Rocco. Could almost sniff a whiff of getting a semblance of my life back. Now .... fuhgeddaboudit. I'm dogmeat till they get all this stuff resolved

Wanted to get some thoughts out there while I had a minute.

Spoke to a bunch more people driving home tonight and they believe all signs points to a major push for Bill Cowher. He's by far the biggest fish out there and two people who used to work closely with Daniel Snyder believe that's where this thing is going. Beyond that, Pete Carroll meets the description, but not much more. Maybe Snyder was being extra coy in not throwing much love toward the candidates already on the staff, but he certainly didn't send an overt message to his existing coaches and players today that Gregg Williams will be the guy, at least when given multiple chances to voice some support for them.

I understand it's early in the game, but if you really are thinking that Williams or Saunders were the guy, then it can't hurt to get that message out to the fans and people in the Park. Anyway, I would be stunned if Gregg and/or Al did not at least get an interview.

Two GMs said that they think if it's Williams, the process will be over in 3-5 days. They also believe that if Gibbs knew one of his existing guys was getting the job, he might have delayed his decision. But their take is that he was giving Snyder as much time as possible to do what he has to do and get any outside candidates that are already interviewing with other teams.

As of now, the Redskins have not contacted Cowher, Carroll or anyone else that I can verify. But this is an ever-changing situation, totally in flux, and things can change in an instant.

But the bottom line is there will be changes, big changes, no matter what.

Maybe they convince Cowher to end his two-year hiatus early, and figure out a way to placate his desire to have personnel authority as a team president, too, and bring along his football ops guys and yet keep Snyder's guys - Vinny Cerrato and Louis Riddick - around. Even then, you're looking at massive changes.

As one GM put it: "Cowher plays a 3-4. So now Andre Carter is a linebacker again and you're looking for different D-linemen. How'd that go (for Carter) in San Francisco? You think Cowher would want Portis or Betts? The Redskins are way over the cap, and they want to redo deals and get under. But what if the guys they want to renegotiate don't fit Cowher's system? A lot of these guys would have a lower number if you convert their Paragraph 5 (base salary) to a bonus than they would if you just cut them. He may want to go with a much younger, bigger offensive line, and they have Jansen, Samuels and Thomas at big (cap) numbers.

"I've watched Dan closely. He's definitely matured as an owner, I really do believe he has. He realizes this is a people business and he's figured a lot of things out. But just because you have stability with the roster and the coaches right now, he doesn't understand that when you're talking about a transition like this you
need a GM - you need a bridge - to oversee the process. If you're bringing in someone from the outside, you're talking about a new system, new ideas. You're in Washington - it's like changing a regime from the Democrats to the Republicans - you're talking about a tremendous turnover. I watched him talk about stability and chemistry today, but that can be undone pretty quickly, and if you're going outside, it will be undone. There's really no way around it."

Spoke to someone who used to work with Snyder who did not believe there was any way he would go back to Marty Schottenheimer, even with the dearth or proven candidates available. And Cowher is most definitely a Marty guy. But again, money has a way of opening doors, so stay tuned.

By Jason La Canfora  |  January 8, 2008; 9:54 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: There Is No Meeting at Mortons
Next: Jerry Gray Speaks

Comments

First to post on the blog of Cowher's in town PR guy... LOL

Posted by: forces | January 8, 2008 10:02 PM | Report abuse

First.
Long day at work...
Watched the press conference
Just now posting.

1- This year only one game did not go down to the wire.
2- We won our last 4
3- We made the playoffs
4- Have made playoffs two of last three years
5- Young players grew much this year:
Landry, Doughty, Torrence, Heyer, JC, Suisham, Wilson, Montgomery, Golston, Blades, Alexander.

We are much better off now than we were when Coach Joe arrived 4 seasons ago.

My Thanks to Coach Joe Gibbs for getting us back on track and respected as a franchise in the NFL.
HTTR! and Coach Joe

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | January 8, 2008 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Nah, Snyder made the pizza kid pay $35 for idling in dealer's mom's driveway.

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 8, 2008 09:39 PM

This had me laughing outloud.

I'm really scared that Napolean is going to do something stupid here. I think the good news for us, is that I doubt Cowher would follow suit and do something equally as stupid unless it was the ideal situation for him, 10 million dollars or not.

Posted by: RickyBobby | January 8, 2008 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, and Brunell is definitely being traded to Seattle.

Posted by: Xlnt | January 8, 2008 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Please Williams...

don't be angelos

Posted by: grizlies98 | January 8, 2008 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Pretty darned amazing that Snyder did not know himself that Gibbs was resigning until last night but now certain GMs, etc. are certain he will hire Cowher...

Especially since Cowher has adamantly stated he will not be return to coaching for at least another year...if ever.

Posted by: Lisa_R | January 8, 2008 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Excuse me folks, I am sorry.
I intended to state "only one LOSS did not go down to the wire".

As much as I love the older staff who served w/ Coach Joe 1.0 and 2.0, w
e can have some continuity,
hire a true Redskin,
and still move forward into the future.

How?
Russ Grimm

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | January 8, 2008 10:15 PM | Report abuse

The whole Cowher discussion is very disheartening. The observations seems insightful about the unavoidability of massive change. What fan is up for that? How many times have we started to "believe" again before getting the rug pulled out?n This is just another episode of a storyline that happens within games, within seasons and, now, across seasons: 1) early disappointent; followed by 2) enough success to have you buying into winning; followed by 3) getting your hear ripped out. Apologies for the meldrama. If they don't select Williams I am canceling my NFL Season Pass on DirectTv. Heck, I live in Atlanta and can start over from ground zero here just as easily (as if .. . . ). PS, sorry you are getting strung out for this, Jason.
----Cookie

Posted by: scook121 | January 8, 2008 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scook121 | January 8, 2008 10:16 PM
________________________________

Please be very careful. Start thinking like this and soon people will be blaming Gibbs for leaving ... probably the same people who thought it was time for him to go anyway.

Posted by: Xlnt | January 8, 2008 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Why the SJK is everyone trying to put a square peg into a freakin round hole!

The average guy who follows the redskins should know that we will not hire Cowher. The only way I believe this is if the 'source' is Cowher's agent. This agent must be talking to any hack who listens.....

No to Cowher. He's an AFC guy. A defensive AFC guy. He dosen't know anything about the NFC East. Up here, it's a whole different ball club........

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 8, 2008 10:19 PM | Report abuse

I've been gone the entire day, so I just want to say my thanks to Coach,

Coach, thanks for all you've done. Its been a privlage and you left the team better then you found it. THANK YOU.

JLC, thanks for the hard work, i had a lot of posts to catch up on.

To the Redskins nation.... oh boy here we go. I vote for Grimm. Lets get some new blood. Last time the skins did that they found some OC from out west who turned out to be pretty decent.

Posted by: goskinsgo | January 8, 2008 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Yea, everyone is certain it is going to be Cowher, yet Dan Snyder said today he had not spoken to Cowher in 6 years?

Get this:
A man I know told me last week before the Seattle game, Gibbs was leaving, and that he had been told by someone who lives in DC that Snyder and Cowher had already talked about it.

I came home and told my wife about it.
I told her the guy was nuts!

Not saying I believe the guy, but man, things sure changed today didn't they?
Makes you scratch your head and wonder what you do know for sure in this world.

HTTR!

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | January 8, 2008 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Would Gregg Williams stay as Mr Defense
If Russ Grimm were to come to be Head Coach?

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | January 8, 2008 10:23 PM | Report abuse

lol@mom's basement comments...

but lisa, $10 mil per is A LOT OF MONEY! there is no question in my mind that if snyder wants cowher he will get him.

but i don't think he wants him. simple. no, it aint cowher.

Posted by: dealer | January 8, 2008 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Anyone think Dan is a bad salesman?

If you look at every move that Dan has made, even the bad ones (like firing Norv mid-season), they have been the ones that the fans wanted to see. Dan wants to keep fans going to games. He has a lot of seats to fill.

Anyone think most Redskins fans want Cowher now? Maybe next year, if Gregg doesn't have a good season, but now?

Dan will do, for good or bad, what the fans want him to do. Count on it.

Posted by: Burgundy | January 8, 2008 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Until I see something concrete, I'm going to assume that the Cowher talk = assumption that Danny will go after the biggest name possible to make a big splash.

This past offseason seemed to say that Mr. Snyder has learned to make better decisions regarding this team. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt until I see real proof that he's about to screw things up again.

Posted by: JustMe | January 8, 2008 10:25 PM | Report abuse

RedskinRay, I think that dude was lying or speculating.

Gibbs said today that he did not tell his players on Sunday because he was not sure until the flight back to DC from Charlotte. He also thought we were going to go deep into the playoffs....maybe even the Superbowl.

Personally, I prefer to believe a devout Christian man rather than that dude.

Posted by: Lisa_R | January 8, 2008 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Dan will do, for good or bad, what the fans want him to do. Count on it.

Posted by: Burgundy | January 8, 2008 10:24 PM

I disagree. I don't think 'the fans' wanted him to fire Norv when we were still in playoff contention!

I don't think 'the fans' wanted him to fire Marty after going 8-3 after going 0-5.

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 8, 2008 10:28 PM | Report abuse

For what it's worth, Kelli Johnson with Comcast specifically asked Gibbs if he was worried about the instability the team would endure from his leaving - especially after all they have already gone through. Gibbs said that Snyder has a real respect for the staff they have and the players and that they both feel they are "real close" to having a winning franchise and that Dan wants to keep what they have going and make the transition smooth for everyone.

So bringing in Cowher and totally shaking the organization and players up does not sound "smooth" to me.

Posted by: Lisa_R | January 8, 2008 10:33 PM | Report abuse

I am anti-Cowher (for the skins not as a man or coach)

BUTT

for some people to think its not a real possibility are coo coo for co co puffs. Daniels Snyder knows less football than 4th, old school, Nate, Me etc....he dont give a rats azz about 3/4 4/3 AFC...the mofo is a toy collector plain and simple. If he wants Cowher he make him an offer, take that shiznit to the bank.

Also some folks up here take what these people say way to much at face value...Who gives a crapola what Cowher has said? These dudes change their mind, and lie contstatnly. Parcells, Jimmy Johnson, Nick Saban, Bobby Petrino, and on and on...if Cowher said "I have a point chin and only daughters" I would doubt it.

And also when is Janso gonna deserve some freakin respect for his reporting? Some of us armchair journalists love to doubt him, thinking he is making these quotes up? Give me a freakin break. The dude is a pro, has mad sources, players and coaches talk to him, and he has working his ever luvin azz off for us hamsters this year getting facts, sniffin out stories and followin leads.

Props bro!

Posted by: chrislarry | January 8, 2008 10:33 PM | Report abuse

For you really old DC area sports headz, recall a quote from the great Earl Weaver when he left the Orioles after the great pennant run of 1982: "Now go win 105 for the next guy."
Funny how their 105th victory that year was game 5 of the '83 world series.
If Snyder wants real 'continuity' in Redskin football, he should hire either Gregg Williams or Russ Grimm, period. I still believe the 'Skins need a real GM (where have you gone, Bobby Bethard), which would be a real sign of maturation on Snyder's part.

Posted by: pdfordiii | January 8, 2008 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: goskinsgo | January 8, 2008 10:19 PM

Do you mean Norv? You might want to amend that to the time before the last time.

Seems to me if Snyder is interested in Cowher but he is adament about 09, you make Williams the HC. If he suceeds that's great and you continue with him. If he fails you can then go after the guy you want. I personally haven't decided which way they should go but I fully understand that no matter what Snyder does it is not a guarentee of success.

Posted by: mbearden | January 8, 2008 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Last weekend's game is on NFLN Replay, for those who want to relive the horror.

Posted by: daggar | January 8, 2008 10:38 PM | Report abuse

chrislarry, I think our point is until someone from Redskins Park with authority makes a statement why should be believe GMs (not with the team) who are speculating as much as we are? As private as Snyder is I cannot see him telling anyone outside his inner circle what he plans to do.

Posted by: Lisa_R | January 8, 2008 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Another rumor:

POSTED 7:40 p.m. EST, January 8, 2008

REX RYAN TO D.C.?

Early speculation in some league circles is that former (kind of) Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan could emerge as the leading candidate to replace Joe Gibbs in Washington.

Ryan, as we hear it, is tight with agent Gary Wichard, who's very tight with Redskins' personnel honcho Vinny Cerrato.

And while Cerrato has had his share of detractors over the years, there's a school of thought held by at least one leauge insider that Cerrato and owner Dan Snyder "have themselves fooled into believing they are heading in the right direction."

The fact that Snyder and Cerrato presumably want to retain influence makes understandable the report from Adam Schefter of NFL Network that former Steelers coach Bill Cowher isn't interested. Though money isn't an issue for Snyder (and we think he'd pay a guy like Cowher more than $10 million per year), Cowher wants to call the shots.

Seven years ago, Snyder tried that with Cowher's mentor, Marty Schottenheimer, who insisted on full control and fired Cerrato. It lasted all of one year.

As we heard it back in June, Cowher was privately making it known that he'd want to be in control of the football operations, and that he'd want to bring with him someone like Kevin Colbert or Omar Khan to help him run the show.

But, per Schefter, Cowher might never come back to coaching.

"Bill is enjoying the simple things, the simple pleasures in life," one of Cowher's friends told Schefter on Tuesday. "He's dabbling in life without football, and he is far from finished with that process."

Still, there's only so much golf a guy can play, and only so good he can get at the piano (especially when he's spitting all over the keys). Sooner or later, the fire will be raging again.

The only thing we know is that it won't be happening in 2008, even with the team that would likely pay him the most money now looking for a coach.

Posted by: JustMe | January 8, 2008 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Lisa the freakin president (whoever it happens to be at the time)has leaks, the CIA, the FBI...crack open any story in the WaPo you see it....

So there isnt' a "chattering class" around the Wash Redskins....pulheeze

Posted by: chrislarry | January 8, 2008 10:40 PM | Report abuse

chrislarry, dude, jason isn't coming strong. all he's bringing is mother's brother's uncle's aunt's lover's...thinks that snyder likes big names and the biggest name is cowher. NO SHTI! really?! wow! what insight!

we give props to jason when he deserves it. this smells like bs, looks like bs, very very very very len pesquerelly.

Posted by: dealer | January 8, 2008 10:41 PM | Report abuse

I wonder how many of these rumors are just flat out lies made up by reporters or agents trying to get their guy's name in the paper.

Posted by: david | January 8, 2008 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Dealer no offense Bro, but I really don't ever know what your talking about, and rarely think I agree...

Read ANY RESPECTED NFL writer commenting on this and their citing the chattering of their sources. They dont say "this is gonna happen" but what they are hearing.....its journalism 101...

Posted by: chrislarry | January 8, 2008 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Also Janso aint saying what is gonna happen, he is sharing what he is hearing, I like reading that and find it valuable, of course you hold the BS Meter to it BY DEFINITION...but that is a commentary on the game not the reporter/reporting.

Posted by: chrislarry | January 8, 2008 10:46 PM | Report abuse

and by the "game" I mean big buisness/sports media...not the X and Os...sorry to much Wire...

Posted by: chrislarry | January 8, 2008 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Rex Ryan makes absolutely less sense than Cowher.

Posted by: Lisa_R | January 8, 2008 10:48 PM | Report abuse

You're right CL.

What gets to me is that I don't know who he is getting these qoutes from. Who he gets them from is very important to the onus we put on them. Going from JLaC's track record on qouting unnamed sources I say have come to fruit about 60-40.

But, I only trust the Cowher qoutes if they were fed by his agent.

Unnamed sources I have a problem with on all fronts, mainly on the political side. I feel journilist are being manipulated by these people to either get a feel for an idea or 'take out' someone on a political hit job.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 8, 2008 10:49 PM | Report abuse

mr. cl, what SHOULD be different from "ANY RESPECTED NFL" sources from a "redskins insider" is that they don't report on skins every day. jason does.

he's been beating cowher's drum with no new knowledge.

and you not agreeing with me on most of the stuff makes you so much smarter and intelligent

Posted by: dealer | January 8, 2008 10:49 PM | Report abuse

I agree, Lisa.

Posted by: JustMe | January 8, 2008 10:50 PM | Report abuse

if you find "snyder likes big names and likes to make a splash" as insightful commentary and not a cliche after decades of being a fan of the skins. then to each his own.

Posted by: dealer | January 8, 2008 10:52 PM | Report abuse

just a statement of fact dealer, we rarely see eye to eye...

but hey as Russell Simmons says "Do yo"

should we bring Spurrier back?

Posted by: chrislarry | January 8, 2008 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Reporting what you are hearing and is being speculated is fine as long as you report it as such (as JLC does). I too find the speculation interesting. However my guess is only Snyder (and perhaps Gibbs and Cerato)really know which way he is leaning. After all how many people thought Gibbs was going to become the coach 4 years ago.

I do have a problem with the following statement: "He may have failed at his quest, but he kept his reputation as a superior human being in tacts."
Failed in what way? What exactly was the quest? Yes he did not win the Super Bowl but I certainly think the team is better off then before he started. The team now has some experience reaching the playoffs, there are younger players with experience and potential, and the player selection processes seems to be improved. How is that failure?

Posted by: mbearden | January 8, 2008 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Dealer get the attribution right in the quote I never said:

"snyder likes big names and likes to make a splash"

Lisa agreed, just say no to Rex Ryan..

Posted by: chrislarry | January 8, 2008 10:54 PM | Report abuse

damn, I hate going for the joke and misspelling,

as Russell Simmons says, "Do You!"

Posted by: chrislarry | January 8, 2008 10:56 PM | Report abuse

cL, it's not that i'm pooping at the idea that snyder might be interested in cowher it's that it's a hunch. a cliched hunch. a 49'er fan sitting in california would come up with that answer. i don't want to hear "i think it is cowher because snyder likes big names.". no, that is BS. give me something fresh.

Posted by: dealer | January 8, 2008 10:57 PM | Report abuse

cl, i wasn't attributing that quote to you. it's what jason is saying what others are saying.

Posted by: dealer | January 8, 2008 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, my previous post should read: and speculating. Good thing I am not a reporter.

Posted by: mbearden | January 8, 2008 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Dealer - I think the problem is that in every post the 'Sources are saying Cowher is the likely move' is being mentioned too much for our liking when news just broke today that Joe is leaving.

I guess speculation feuls website hits which = more ad revenue for thr post......

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 8, 2008 10:58 PM | Report abuse

As I said, Cowher "Wrong coach, wrong team, wrong time"

butt if you don't think he is on Snyder's short list your nutz. Might not happen, hope it doesnt happen, dont think its gonna happen (mostly b/c cowher wants no part of snyder)but feelers, talks...whateves are/have happened...

Posted by: chrislarry | January 8, 2008 11:00 PM | Report abuse

i'm out...will carry on tomorrow. no hard feelings. in my opinion there was never an indication that snyder wanted cowher.

the only insightful/original thought up here was reported by a blogger who brought up the connection between Toyota and JGR and reason gibbs wanting to stay down in NC. and THAT is more likely and true than anything else reported up here.

Posted by: dealer | January 8, 2008 11:01 PM | Report abuse

I know today has been a busy day. So busy that a school shooting in PG county wasn't even the 1st or 2nd lead story on the news (media bias).....

But, in lighter news:

Mailing Cow's Head to Wife's Lover? No!

The Associated Press
Tuesday, January 8, 2008; 8:45 PM

NORRISTOWN, Pa. -- A man who mailed a bloody cow's head to his wife's lover has been sentenced to probation and community service. Jason Michael Fife "understands that in a civilized society a person cannot send a severed cow's head to anybody," said his defense lawyer, Henry Hilles.

Authorities in Lower Pottsgrove, northwest of Philadelphia, arrested Fife and charged him with stalking, terroristic threats, disorderly conduct and harassment after he allegedly sent threatening messages and pictures to the victim between May and September 2006.

The victim received a package containing a cow's head with a puncture wound in its skull on June 1, 2006.

Police said Fife, 31, got the cow's head from a butcher's shop, claiming he wanted the dried skull for decoration. Instead, he mailed the head frozen, so as not to alert parcel carriers to the contents, police said. The box became bloody after sitting on the victim's doorstep on a warm day.

Police were able to trace the package and threatening e-mails to Fife, court documents indicate.

"My client did step over the line here, but one can certainly understand his frustration, given that the victim was carrying on an affair with my client's wife," Hilles said.

Fife, of Hunker, southeast of Pittsburgh, was sentenced Friday to a program for first-time offenders in which he must complete two years of probation and 50 hours of community service. If he successfully finishes the program, his record will be cleared.

Fife and his wife, who have a young child, later reconciled, Hilles said.

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 8, 2008 11:02 PM | Report abuse

4th dontcha think thats a bit cynical......we are in a tizzy to know, its the nature of the beast...dont think its that calculated by the Post...maybe inditement of our culture/society though...

Posted by: chrislarry | January 8, 2008 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Dan will do, for good or bad, what the fans want him to do. Count on it.

Posted by: Burgundy | January 8, 2008 10:24 PM
-------------------------------------------
Is it too late to want him to hire a General Manager?

Posted by: curtmcgurt | January 8, 2008 11:04 PM | Report abuse

HAHAHAHA 4th way to smack us with the reality 1/2 punch...from the depressin to the absurd...your right a football coach stepping down at 67 should fall in the middle...

classic

Posted by: chrislarry | January 8, 2008 11:06 PM | Report abuse

You're right CL.

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 8, 2008 11:07 PM | Report abuse

Should anyone want to cast a vote for Gibbs for Coach of the Year.....

Posted by: forces | January 8, 2008 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Big "whatever" on the Cowher news.

I still say the next HC is Gregg Williams.

And thanks for the link, forces. Everyone should definitely go vote for Coach Joe. You can vote multiple times, so just keep refreshing the page until you get sick of it. I've lost count of how many times I've voted for him in the past several days.

Posted by: freakzilla | January 8, 2008 11:16 PM | Report abuse

Dude, the Cops Will Never Smell It

The Associated Press
Monday, January 7, 2008; 9:18 PM

LAKEHURST, N.J. -- Lakehurst police didn't have to go far to make a marijuana arrest. An officer heading home early Saturday smelled pot burning in the police station parking lot.

Authorities said Sergeant Ronald Heinzman asked some other officers to take a whiff. Police said they heard a conversation centered on the irony of smoking pot next to the station from a home separated from the parking lot by a chain-link fence.

Police knocked on the door and arrested Benjamin Gordon, 18, of Farmville, Va.
___

Information from: Asbury Park Press, http://www.app.com

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 8, 2008 11:23 PM | Report abuse

One more and good night......

Boy Glues Hand to Bed to Avoid School

The Associated Press
Monday, January 7, 2008; 10:05 PM

MEXICO CITY -- A 10-year-old Mexican boy dreaded returning to school after Christmas break so much that he glued his hand to his bed. Sandra Palacios spent nearly two hours Monday morning trying to free her son Diego's hand with water, oil and nail polish remover before calling authorities, police chief Jorge Camacho told The Associated Press from outside the northern city of Monterrey.

"I didn't want to go to school because vacation was so much fun," Reforma newspaper quoted the boy as saying.

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 8, 2008 11:27 PM | Report abuse

I live in Raleigh (where Cowher lives) and on tonight's local news they asked Cowher if he's going to coach the Skins and he said that he will not be coaching next year, that he's too busy spending time with his family.

Posted by: webtechnical | January 8, 2008 11:32 PM | Report abuse

I'm watching JLa on a replay of WashingtonPost Live on Comcast. He was not joking about not having time for a shower. It's obvious he had no idea he'd be on TV today. LOL Yowsa...LOL

Posted by: JustMe | January 8, 2008 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Well, obviously Cowher must be lying. Was it a phone interview, or did they actually have a camera on him? Could you tell if he was crossing anything behind his back?

Posted by: freakzilla | January 8, 2008 11:36 PM | Report abuse

"I watched him talk about stability and chemistry today, but that can be undone pretty quickly, and if you're going outside, it will be undone. There's really no way around it."

My point exactly, anonymous GM. So if Dan meant what he said, Williams will be the next head coach.

Posted by: Alan4 | January 8, 2008 11:46 PM | Report abuse

justme, i missed him! is he still there?

Posted by: dealer | January 8, 2008 11:51 PM | Report abuse

I watched JLC on WaPo Live too and it just blows my mind that he makes a big deal out of Snyder not coming out and endorsing Williams instead stating they will go through the process. Hello? That is exactly what they are supposed to do. In fact, Charley Casserly was on the same show right before JLC saying exactly that...you must go through a process and you can't say much without possibly incurring a fine by the NFL.

Posted by: Lisa_R | January 8, 2008 11:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dealer | January 8, 2008 11:52 PM | Report abuse

and smack this is for you

tiny url

Posted by: dealer | January 8, 2008 11:54 PM | Report abuse

Dan will do, for good or bad, what the fans want him to do. Count on it.

Posted by: Burgundy | January 8, 2008 10:24 PM

How many years is the waiting list for season's tickets right now?

Fans want him to put eleven bodies on the field at a time, clothed in white and that horrid dried-blood burgundy color.

Posted by: suz | January 8, 2008 11:55 PM | Report abuse

I remember back in 2004 we all thought the of the Skins coach would be either Dennis Green, Ray Rhodes, or Jim Fassel. No one knew that Gibbs was being talked to until the deal was basically done. I bring this up to say:just because everyone is pointing to Cowher, doesn't mean it will be Cowher. I really think after it all shakes out, it will be Gregg Williams.

Posted by: clindsay | January 8, 2008 11:55 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, dealer. I stepped away for a minute.

He's obviously gone. Hopefully home to a steaming hot shower. LOL Russ Thaler joked that JLa looked like he'd just rolled out of bed. And, he did.

Posted by: JustMe | January 9, 2008 12:00 AM | Report abuse

Lisa,

Did you notice Les Carpenter also make a big deal about the lack of endorsement for Gregg?

Posted by: JustMe | January 9, 2008 12:03 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, I got nothing, dealer. I wish he was at the Ranch hitting the weights and watching tape, but I have to face it, we have a players' coach and a playboy qb. All I can say is it better work, though it probably won't.

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 9, 2008 12:04 AM | Report abuse

clindsay, I think you're right. JLC is really pushing the Cowher angle, but does he really want a scowling, frowning version of Marty Schottenheimer (for whom I have a lot of respect, by the way) as his right-hand man?

In my opinion, it would be the beginning of a rebuilding process to hire from the outside, even if it's Russ Grimm. Not good.

Posted by: Alan4 | January 9, 2008 12:08 AM | Report abuse

smack, on that note...i predict the superbowl to be

Seattle VS. SD/NE

i'm putting lot of money on seattle to go to the SB for show

Posted by: dealer | January 9, 2008 12:10 AM | Report abuse

only thing wrong with that prediction is that hasselback sucks

Posted by: dealer | January 9, 2008 12:12 AM | Report abuse

From previous post, one of the most cogent explanations of the day--I can't put it any better than Jwolff03:

If he comes right out and says who they want, kind of takes away any kind of negotating leverage and certainly would make the organization appear to have egg on its face if somehow its first choice didnt work out.

Posted by: Jwolff03 | January 8, 2008 04:15 PM

There are several teams without head coaches right now. Dan Snyder is handling this exactly right, so far--even if he knows he wants Williams to take over.

Posted by: Alan4 | January 9, 2008 12:13 AM | Report abuse

dealer,

GB vs Indy

Pats are going out this weekend. Take that to the bank.

Adam

Posted by: argh | January 9, 2008 12:13 AM | Report abuse

John Clayton thinks Double G will be named the coach within a couple of weeks.

Posted by: JustMe | January 9, 2008 12:14 AM | Report abuse

no way argh! i can see them going out against indy but not the jags. did you watch the jags game against the stillers? this is where brady earns his rep...in big games and also in games they're suppose to win. just like jordan. no matter who's on the floor larry bird or larry johnson he gonna do his thing.

Posted by: dealer | January 9, 2008 12:19 AM | Report abuse

I don't like the Seahawks playing with only 11 men.

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 9, 2008 12:20 AM | Report abuse

Snida is not going after Cowher...he is not...he is playing the NFL process...knowing he has Grilliams ready to go...JLa's sources play him for a fool and he thinks we should care what somebody who use to work for Snida thinks...

JLa...wake up, listen and get some real insight...they want continueity not to make a big splash...I thought maybe with all your time out there you would get a feel for them...I don't see that in you...just you can't shake this subtle feeling the the 'skins organization is the evil empire w/ a clue...they are not so stupid as you think and Grilliams is the right choice and they know it, but must work the Rooney rule.

Posted by: steviej1964 | January 9, 2008 12:22 AM | Report abuse

ps...just like our cinderella's clock struck midnight...same thing gonna happen to favraah. it's ovah for GB this weekend. bet your house. i'm predicting he'll throw 3 picks at the very least and get sacked 20 times.

Posted by: dealer | January 9, 2008 12:22 AM | Report abuse

dealer,

The pats d is aging and not that stout. Look for a ton on Taylor and Jones-Drew up the middle for good yardage and many shots of Tom and the O warming their hands on the sidelines.

Again, take it to the bank

Adam

Posted by: argh | January 9, 2008 12:22 AM | Report abuse

lol@smack!

if i were you i'd only focus on the elugly that's about to hit the big D this weekend.

Posted by: dealer | January 9, 2008 12:24 AM | Report abuse

adam, so true about the pats d. but i just don't see pats not scoring at least 35 on the jags. if the stillers can do it so can the patsies with the best QB ever. and there aint no way jags gonna score that many on the patsies.

Posted by: dealer | January 9, 2008 12:27 AM | Report abuse

john clayton is a genius. he believes in KISS

Posted by: dealer | January 9, 2008 12:29 AM | Report abuse

dealer

I'm just going to keep repeating my mantra- take it to the bank.

this may be because I've got no logic or reason to back much of that statement up. plus, a Pats loss guarantees I'm going to NYC in early Feb.

Go Jags

Adam

Posted by: argh | January 9, 2008 12:32 AM | Report abuse

If we can beat the Jints, I'd rather see the Pack come to Dallas than the Seahawks. No chance Brett Favre can beat us at Texas Stadium. Hasselbeck, maybe.

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 9, 2008 12:35 AM | Report abuse

SMACK

If the boys lose this weekend, will Texas make listening to Jessica Simpson's latest single a capital offense?

Adam

Posted by: argh | January 9, 2008 12:46 AM | Report abuse

and will she be able to make it out of Taxas Stadium in one piece and without being pelted by lukewarm beer and cold hot dogs?

Adam

Posted by: argh | January 9, 2008 12:48 AM | Report abuse

I wouldn't bet against Brett.
I'd say Dallas can out score the Seahawks as long as romo doesn't accidentally launch one right into trufant's arms like Todd did.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | January 9, 2008 12:50 AM | Report abuse

The beat reporter's analysis here borders on lunacy. And the irony is that his moronic claim that Snyder's primary objective is to "sell seats" is sorta like the pot calling the kettle black. It's you Jason, who is actually trying to sell us something here. And it stinks.

Smells like bullsh*t

Posted by: Barno1 | January 9, 2008 1:14 AM | Report abuse

I don't think the Hags get by the Pack on Saturday. Seattle has been very formidable at home this year, but very, very average on the road.

Seattle away games this year:

@ Arizona (8-8) - L 23-20
@ San Fran (5-11) - W 23-3
@ Pittsburgh (10-6) - L 21-0
@ Cleveland (10-6) - L 33-30
@ St. Louis (3-13) - W 24-19
@ Philly (8-8) - W 28-24
@ Carolina (7-9) - L 13-10
@ Atlanta (4-12) - L 44-41

Seattle has beaten only two teams all year with records better than 8-8: Tampa Bay (9-7) in Seattle way back in Week 1, and us last week.

They haven't faced anyone nearly as good as Green Bay this year, and they're doing it on Green Bay's turf.

Posted by: freakzilla | January 9, 2008 1:17 AM | Report abuse

Adam

Posted by: argh | January 9, 2008 12:48 AM

In a very special homage to the New York Giants and their classy fans, we will serenade her with a chorus of "show your t*ts".

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 9, 2008 1:23 AM | Report abuse

Or were those Jets fans? Er, oops, I got some single malt scotch for me birthday!

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 9, 2008 1:25 AM | Report abuse

seattle will win in GB this week. i guarantee it. also please note that my guarantees have always been wrong.

Posted by: dealer | January 9, 2008 1:31 AM | Report abuse

"A Bug's-Eye View of Head Coach Possibilities"

Bill Cowher - No, just No. NO. NO! (NO! NO! NO!) Besides, Snyder wouldn't be able to see past Cowher's chin while standing face-to-face with him.

Marty Schottenheimer - Vinny Cerrato would never allow it after what happened last time. (Marty fired Vinny.)

Tony Sparano - If you wouldn't want Parcells here, you don't want Sparano.

Todd Bowles - Sure, he WAS a Redskin, but then he went to the dark side of The Force. Darth Vader would be more trustworthy.

Jason Garrett - Norv Turner, Part Deux.

Jim Caldwell - Isn't he a Libertarian Party candidate for President?

Leslie Frazier - Head coaches need to have Head Coach-style names. Leslie Frazier sounds like the lead dancer on a chorus line.

Mike Singletary - Only if we get Patrick Willis as part of the deal.

Brian Billick - The Redskins organization wouldn't be "first class" enough for Billick. And who wants new fans showing up in purple jerseys?

Rex Ryan - His package deal probably includes Ray Lewis. No thanks.

Rob Ryan - He's a pirate. Let him have the Tampa Bay job when Gruden leaves.

Bob Ryan - Really good with Hs and Ls; not so good with Xs and Os.

Jim Fossil - Even Billick fired him. End of story.

John Gruden - A sleeper pick, especially if Tampa Bay dumps him this week. Keep an eye on this.

Russ Grimm - Only if Williams and Saunders agreed to stay on and work for Russ. Not very likely. Grimm is a popular choice with many, but this won't happen unless Gibbs makes it happen.

Al Saunders - When he proves that his entire offense can actually be run properly in DC by someone other than Todd, then he can think about being the Head Coach.

Gregg Williams - The inside favorite, based on proximity and continuity. He can run the team and focus on defense along with a new DC (Blache?), while giving full control of the offense to Saunders. Best part: Belichek sucked at Cleveland first and now is a genius (?). Worst part: Gibbs will probably call him during games and suggest conservative play ideas to pass along to Saunders.

Summary

1st Choice - Williams
2nd Choice - Gruden
3rd Choice - Frank Robinson

Posted by: TheCrickets007 | January 9, 2008 5:06 AM | Report abuse

Don't scare me with that Frank Robinson nonsense.

Posted by: Dorf | January 9, 2008 6:11 AM | Report abuse

Dan Snyder has a real chance here. The silver lining of the whole Sean Taylor ordeal for Snyder is that for the first time in the 9 years he's been here, everyone doesn't hate him. If he makes the right move (Williams/continuity) he's well on his way to possibly maybe almost being kind of liked. If he goes for the big splash (again) and fails (again) he will prove that he's learned nothing from Joe Gibbs, thus sealing his own fate as the George W Bush of NFL owners.

Posted by: Original_etrod | January 9, 2008 6:21 AM | Report abuse

For those of you who missed seeing Jasno on television on Tuesday, check this out.

Posted by: TheCrickets007 | January 9, 2008 7:03 AM | Report abuse

4-12, Rocky River (westside ... just west of Lakewood on the lake).

Latest idea for a candidate ... just to fix up old bad blood and to bring some continuity (with the old Super Bowl Skins) ... re-hire Petibon (assuming he still walks the earth).

Posted by: dcsween | January 9, 2008 7:29 AM | Report abuse

Ewww Gruden. That man messes up every team that he coaches. He won a superbowl because he took Tony's team, then he gutted it and it stank like stanky stank.

Oh I would like to vote for the skins to move HQ back into DC and take it out of assburn.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 9, 2008 7:30 AM | Report abuse

What seems so obvious to me is that for the first time in about 20 years we do not have to completely scrap what the previous coach has wrought (i.e. regime change). I fear that change is not necessarily for the good of the progress of the team, but that it is a tool to keep ticket sales high. I hope that what I heard about "if it is not broke then dont fix it" is not just blather to make everyone a little secure for the moment.

Posted by: driley | January 9, 2008 7:38 AM | Report abuse

"I don't think things have changed in terms of what I'm looking for...In terms of continuity, it's absolutely very important to me."

"I like where we are. I'm very pleased with the players, coaches and scouts. We're in good shape."

- Dan Snyder

Promote Gregg Williams as HC and keep Al Saunders as OC, hire Russ Grimm for OL

Posted by: tkawamoto22 | January 9, 2008 8:02 AM | Report abuse

The only saving grace from Jasno's video post was that it was linked from the main sports page as "Kornheiser's Reaction" last night... so at least I was prepared for a somewhat homely white guy.
However, I didn't expect a YouTube tribute from somebody who looks like he's just hanging around the Park.

Posted by: daggar | January 9, 2008 8:02 AM | Report abuse

Oh I would like to vote for the skins to move HQ back into DC and take it out of ashburn.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 9, 2008 07:30 AM

Prior to relocating to Ashburn, Redskins Park was formerly in the Herndon/Chantilly area of western Fairfax County for 30+ years. The last location they used in that area was just off Rt.28, across from Dulles Airport at the McLaren Rd. exit. The Ashburn location is only about 8 miles north of there.

You would have to find someone really old to tell you when the team headquarters were actually located in DC, even though the games were played at RFK.

Posted by: TheCrickets007 | January 9, 2008 8:05 AM | Report abuse

Russ Grimm has a contract with AZ so he cannot be made OL coach here - and why would he want to be? It would be head coach or nothing.

Posted by: Lisa_R | January 9, 2008 8:09 AM | Report abuse

My top two candidates are Russ Grimm and Gregg Williams.

I'm not high on GW, but he is there now and is endorsed by the players.

Although Grimm has a contract with Arizona, they won't stop him from pursuing the job. Twice he was passed over by Chicago and Pittsburgh.

Forget the big splash move by signing Cowher. Grimm is ready to be a head coach. He is experienced, tough and would ensure guys are focused. He also has ties to this area obviously and is the greatest o-linemen in Skins history, if not league history.

I think he would keep GW and Buges, but GW may not be happy with the move.

And as for Gibbs, he actually did leave the team in better shape, making the roster younger and finding a franchise QB.

Yet, I am sad somewhat about his departure.

Posted by: vdoggay | January 9, 2008 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Gregg Williams would be a huge mistake for this team. He's not that far removed from his tenure in Buffalo and his .354 win percentage in 3 years.

He didn't learn that many tricks from Gibbs that will translate him into a winner here. Bill Belichik storylines don't happen that often. Gregg would be more like Buddy Ryan's tenure in Philadelphia, or maybe Arizona (You've got a winner in town). Stay away from Pete Carroll. In fact, forget about any college coach for the next 5 years. Bad news.

And no Jason Garrett! We tried that with Norv (ugh what a disaster).

I say it's time for a one-two punch of Jim Fassel and Matt Millen. With Dan's money and the losses piling up, we could stockpile #1 draft picks for a few years, then find a real coach and GM to direct this talent. Until then, it's Fasselpalooza and Millenmania time in DC!!!

Posted by: Soups1 | January 9, 2008 8:37 AM | Report abuse

You hit it right on tkawamoto22. If you listen to his statements and Coach Joe (he will always be coach in my book) They are letting you know that it will be double G without saying it out right. Because of the Rooney rule they can't just come out and say it will be him. The Dan there is a process that we have to go through. They have to follow the Rooney rule people.

Posted by: jm220 | January 9, 2008 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Original_etrod | January 9, 2008 06:21 AM

etrod,

He needs to get acting lessons. If he said the same things, but in a Gibbsian style or an Obama style or in any sympathetic style (like my own), he would be able to win over more people. As it is, he's managed to make people reminisce fondly about Jack Kent Cooke who was a horse's ass of the first order.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | January 9, 2008 8:44 AM | Report abuse

"I don't know what the future holds in terms of free agency, or what the level of interest will be elsewhere, or what that their feelings are going to be here in bringing me back.

"But I know I had a great time here in Washington, and I'm grateful for all of the years I've spent to finally get the opportunity here and play in this great city."

This is Collins sating thank you and goodbye...

Posted by: trailblazer658 | January 9, 2008 8:56 AM | Report abuse

People reminisce fondly of Jack Kent Cooke because, while he was a horses ass, he won.

Snyder said if it aint broke don't fix it. Well, Joe Gibbs' retirement breaks it. It was broken before he got here and now that he's leaving they're left with the same front office they had before him.

It's broken, so fix it.

Posted by: Original_etrod | January 9, 2008 8:57 AM | Report abuse

My favorite quote from Jason's article today: "Most in the NFL believe Snyder will pursue Bill Cowher..." You took a poll of "most" of the NFL!? Wow! Shouldn't you change that phrase to "I'm really hoping that..."?

Posted by: busterkurosawa | January 9, 2008 9:09 AM | Report abuse

'Skins owner should avoid hiring Cowher
By Jason Cole, Yahoo! Sports

Posted by: JustMe | January 9, 2008 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Ravens, 'Skins seek coaches, but not likely the same ones

Rick Maese

Posted by: JustMe | January 9, 2008 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Pro Football Talk bashing Lenny P and his axe grinding:

LEN HOLDS AN IMPRESSIVE GRUDGE

Four years after Len Pasquarelli of ESPN.com got his Friar Tuck hairdo out of place when former scoop-feeder Vinny Cerrato failed to give Len a head's-up regarding the stunning decision of Joe Gibbs to come out of an eleven-year retirement, Len is still throwing darts at the Hall of Fame coach.

Amazingly, Pasquarelli claims that age kept Gibbs from succeeding in his second stint: "He was, simply, too old to handle his players, to understand their perspectives, to push their buttons in this era of salary-cap football (remember, Gibbs didn't have to worry about the salary cap during his first stint). And the wear and tear of a season is hard on any coach, much less one who qualifies for senior citizen discounts at your neighborhood cafeteria."

(Hopefully, Gibbs and Pasquarelli don't dine at the same cafeteria -- otherwise, the real benefit of the early bird would be for Joe to get some of the food before Len eats it all.)

Never mind the fact that Gibbs didn't have a Bobby Beathard or comparable front-office talent to set the table with high-end players, or that mismanagement of the roster prior to Gibbs' arrival put the team in a hole from which it was difficult to escape.

Here's the reality -- the Redskins went to the playoffs in two of four seasons under Gibbs. Most NFL coaches, young or old, would love to bat .500 when it comes to getting to the postseason.

So it's just as easy to praise Gibbs as it is to condemn him. We choose the former; he emerged from more than a decade out of the sport and performed pretty well in a far different environment than he last experienced in the final season before the onset of free agency and the salary cap.

And the team is in better shape than it was when Gibbs returned. Before him, the 'Skins made the playoffs only once in five seasons of ownership by Snyder, and were in a four-year drought. Now, there's a feeling that the team is moving in the right direction.

Though, in the end, Pasquarelli is entitled to his opinion, we'd have more respect for it if we thought that it was derived not from the fact that he's still miffed about failing to have fed to him with a side of fries what ended up being one of the bigger news entrees of the decade.

Posted by: chrislarry | January 9, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Lenny P holds as big a grudge as Barno. Let's get a signed DVD and give it to Lenny.

Posted by: sams3 | January 9, 2008 9:19 AM | Report abuse

We are a team built to stay together, mix of old, near old and some young, way over the cap , that isn't a problem if williams is the coach...simply restructure a bunch of contracts get under, add some more FA's, draft and a way we go .....but if williams is not the coach we got big problems with the roster and the cap...simply put a new coach with a new system will need players that fit what he wants to do....we can't cut, cap hits become to expensive so the new coach is saddled with an old expensive team that isn't a fit....my opinion its almost has to be williams, if not its total rebuild and with that a long, long road back in a very strong division where the other 3 teams are loaded with talent

Posted by: Oldschool | January 9, 2008 9:24 AM | Report abuse

etrod--

Cooke didn't win anything -- Coach Gibbs won. Cooke became a majority owner of the Redskins in 1974. The Redskins didn't win even a division championship until 1982 when they won the Super Bowl, under Gibbs.

That's my point about reminiscing. Cooke was just not that great an owner. He was a colorful character, but a mean and nasty person.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | January 9, 2008 9:24 AM | Report abuse

sitting in the little rock airport waiting on a flight that is delayed and trying to catch up on all the reporting (great job again!) and digest all of this . . .

maybe someone has already talked about this, if so, skip on . . .

there seems to be an odd synchronicity with this season that makes it extremely bittersweet. . .

in a season where we lost our best player (#21) we also lost again our best coach. . .

The start of Sean Taylor's tenure pretty much coincided with the start of Gibbs 2.0 and in a sense, his departure was one of the factors contributing to the end og Gibbs 2.0. . .

As a fan, I am having a hard time coming to grips with my feelings here. . .

On the one hand we were so close and it has been a very long time since I felt the way I did when the skins were making their run. . .

On the other, there is a tremendous sense of loss - It is still hard to imagine never seeing the reap blow someone up again and difficult to come to grips with all of the potential changes that would likely pushout even further our chances of building on the fantastic run we just had. . .

I am hoping (but not counting on it) that Dan opts for continuity here, if that doesn't work, you can blow it up next year. . .

Making wholesale changes right now will only make the losses we suffered this season harder to digest . . .

Posted by: skinsfan8KaboveMSL | January 9, 2008 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Old School, as always, is the man!

Posted by: chrislarry | January 9, 2008 9:31 AM | Report abuse

I'm just ready for ESPN to get that picture of the LSU douchebags off of their front page.

Anyway, I should be working. Later.

Posted by: Dorf | January 9, 2008 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Cooke won with Gibbs and Snyder didn't.

Posted by: Original_etrod | January 9, 2008 9:39 AM | Report abuse

cooke won w/ a deep pocket and willingness to spend in a NFL w/o a salary cap and very loose IR rules . . .

Posted by: skinsfan8KaboveMSL | January 9, 2008 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Cooke, was clearly a slimy character but he outspent almost everyone and hired both Gibbs and Beathard. Gibbs was a no brainer hire the second time around but no the first.

When the skins went 0-5 under Gibbs at first and people were calling for his head, he went in and assured the team and coach that he had faith in them.

Posted by: Skinz | January 9, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

I don't mean to be a JKC apologist or spokeseman, I'm just saying that it's all about perception.

Jack Kent Cooke was impatient and meddlesome but while he was the owner, the Redskins won 3 super bowls, therefore he is perceived as a winner.

Under Dan Snyder, the've won Jack (Kent) Squat, therefore he is percieved as impatient and meddlesome.

It should also be noted that Jack Kent Cooke hired a GM who hired Gibbs.

Posted by: Original_etrod | January 9, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

TE,

Cooke may have been an SOB, but don't diminish his accomplishments. He also won titles with the LA Lakers, built the LA arena, built Fed Ex on his own dime (almost unheard of) and like any CEO had a knack for hiring, trustings and sticking with good people.

Now if he only new how to write a good will! His biggest mistake was in his death where he screwed the pooch on handing over his assets and forced the team into a trust, shafting his son and begat....Danny Boy...

Posted by: chrislarry | January 9, 2008 9:52 AM | Report abuse

I loved Jack Kent Cooke, but don't forget that he is the man that hired Norv. Even the good owners make mistakes. Also, when JG left the first time, he did so in the middle of the off-season, so JKC had no choice but to stay in house with Richie Pettibone.

Posted by: Markin21132 | January 9, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

One more quick comment - my biggest hope for the second Joe Gibbs tenure was that Dan Snyder would learn how to run a football organization from Joe. We will now find out if he did or not.

Posted by: Markin21132 | January 9, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

TE--

Cooke became majority owner in 74, but couldn't run the team b/c league rules prevented him from running the 'Skins and the Lakers. He let Edward Bennet Williams run the team until he sold the Lakers in 79 or 80. I think Gibbs was his first coach hire when he was actually running the team.

But, yeah, I don't think he was ever known as a nice guy...

Posted by: kingbonehead | January 9, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Why all the hating on Cowher? Why all the love for Grilliams?

Is it a lock that if Cowher came here, everything would be turned upside down? That we'd lose continuity? Or that continuity is what we need? The one thing that does worry me is the 4-3, 3-4 thing, I"ll have to admit, but my gosh he won 8 division titles in 12 years, was in 4 championship games and did win a superbowl!

I have a hard time being super supportive of Grilliams. He was a poor head coach (of an admittedly poor Buffalo team). Players are behind him. Yes. That's a plus. But who's to say he's not the Dcoach version of Norv??? Great asst, poor head coach?? I can't see Snyder taking that leap. And I know about Bellichick having a bad stint his first go around. But he has been blessed by having Brady. Do we? I don't see how he has had a chance to learn winning ways here, from an apprentice standpoint under JGibbs.

Honestly, my early thoughts:
1) Cowher
2) Schottenheimer (won't happen but would be intriguing)
3) Grimm

Say no to Carroll!

Posted by: carocanesfan | January 9, 2008 10:05 AM | Report abuse

I go away for two days and I return to Speculation City USA man!

What a shock!

As I have said, I think Williams would be the best bet. (I'm watching my back jm!) If Danny Boy gets someone from outside the org, I 'll bet anyone we are going to have a losing record next year especially if there is going to be a staff shake up.

Posted by: cmecyclist | January 9, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

chrislarry,

It took JKC nine years as majority owner to get it right (ie, become a winner) in the NFL.

As far as the will, do you really believe the 'Skins would be better today if his milquetoast son ("I'm moving to Bermuda to pout")were the owner?

Cooke built FedEx on his own dime and made a pretty quarter (for his estate) off of it. And Dan Snyder's made a pretty dollar off the quarter that he paid.

All-in-all, NFL owners are a pretty sorry lot on the Mother Theresa goodness scale, but I don't think our present owner has (a) gotten a fair shake or, (b) done much to get himself a fair shake.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | January 9, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

carocanesfan--

Is it a lock that if Cowher came here that he'd make the franchise a consistent winner?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | January 9, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

TE - I'm not old enough to remember the early years of JKC, but I don't think the public opinion of him was much diffrent than the current one of Snyder.

Danny has gotten a bad rap (a lot of it self-imposed) but it's nothing that a few superbowl titles won't fix.

That's my point.

Posted by: Original_etrod | January 9, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

"Starters on both offense and defense began lobbying for Williams yesterday, including wide receiver Antwaan Randle El, who won a Super Bowl with Cowher in Pittsburgh. "I want the best coach for the job, and Gregg certainly is at the top of the list, no doubt," Randle El said. "I would love to see him get it just 'cause we've gotten going with the crew that we have here. I would love to see Gregg keep it."

Posted by: cmecyclist | January 9, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Original_etrod | January 9, 2008 10:13 AM

etrod--I actually am old enough to remember those years. But because I'm that old, I can't remember them. And, you're right: winning consistently will solve a lot of problems. Until then, the owner ought to try acting lessons.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | January 9, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Anybody who "knows" who the next coach is fails to remember the elegant dance of the Steelers just one year ago.
It was preordained that either Grimm or Wisenhunt would be hired. Tomlin was the "Token Rooney Rule" interview.
Right up until he wasn't.
There's a process. The process will be followed. Snyder may have some preferences in mind, but to think he's already made a decision on the "CEO" for his $1.5B baby within 24 hours of St. Joe's retirement is unreal. It's not how the big boys play.

Posted by: daggar | January 9, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

daggar,

Well put, and I also think there's value in the process beyond just choosing a new coach. The owner gets to meet four or five of the best men in football, get their ideas about where the Redskins should go, build relationships with them, and assess the status, strengths, and direction of his organization.

That's just the owner. And the hampsters? These are the glory days on RI.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | January 9, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse

T_E

Is it a lock that we'll turn into a perennial contender with any coach? No. Do I think that Cowher would get us there? Yes. Do I think that Grilliams would? Not so sure. Maybe.

What I was really addressing was the fact that most speaking out against Cowher are saying that it'll upset the apple cart too much. I was saying maybe that's true, maybe it's not. Maybe it's true for a year.

I'm not completely sold on Cowher. How much longer will he want to work? My guess is 4 or 5 years. Is that long enough? Would Grimm make a better choice for a 10-15 year coach? It's a tough call with lots of pluses and minuses for each candidate!

Posted by: carocanesfan | January 9, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

If there's one thing this team has proven beyond any doubt over the past 16 years is that major coaching changes mean major disappointment the following season... or more. Everything Jasno sighted is why Williams or someone already on the staff should get the job. This offense can work and be great as long as we have players who know it well enough. The defense is good and should be improved next year with the maturation of the youngsters. Bringing in Cowher would mean yet another season or two... or more... of mediocrity before any real success can be built.

Posted by: Redskinrex | January 9, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Unlike Jasno and about 80% of you, I don't know whether a GM is absolutely required, or whether Snyder meddles too much (if that's the case, how do we explain the CowPies?).
I do know that the way they do their contracts makes it hard to jettison people in the first couple of years of a new deal. Let's say Saunders leaves -- I can think of a lot of different offensive minds that can use the players we have + the players we can get to create an effective offense. It may take some time, but the raw materials are there -- particularly at QB.
I'm not so sure on defense. We had a very studly defense last year for the most part. Their inability to "generate pressure -- guaranteed!" was their greatest weakness. Look around at other effective defenses and without exception, pressure is their key. [And when the key pressure guy goes down, the defense starts looking ordinary -- cf. Steelers]
So, who's going to come in here and run this defense without having to blow it up?

Posted by: daggar | January 9, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

carocanesfan--

Thanks, and I agree. Even if Cowher is a major disruption, it would be worth it to me if he transforms the franchise -- ie, seizes control from Vinnie/Snyder. Then we might have the long-term Continuity that peeps are lookng for.

One risk with Williams or Grimm is that they can't stand up to Vinnie/Snyder and they take over the personnel function with reckless abandon. Maybe they've learned the lesson of patience from Gibbs, as Snyder claimed, but I'm not convinced.

Frankly, I don't see a clear-cut winner among Williams/Cowher/Grimm. All choices are risky. Although, I do see lots of clear-cut losers outside those three names.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | January 9, 2008 10:33 AM | Report abuse

I don't recall any real love for JKC until we won the Super Bowl in 82. He became beloved because he was quite a charachter. He had alot more charm than Danny, but the big difference was that he had a winner. Smartest thing he ever did was hire Beathard. Beathard hired Gibbs and a dominant franchise was born. We've all said that one of the good things about Snyder is his willingness to spend......I think if we win a superbowl or 2, he will go down as a great owner who fought a hard road to get an eventual winner. As would pretty much anybody. Everyone loves a winner........

Posted by: dlhaze | January 9, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

I spoke to a well-known talent evaluator, and he's narrowed his list down to Williams, Cowher, and Grimm.

I've always wanted to write that.

Posted by: daggar | January 9, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

I can't believe that people on this board are criticizing JLC and comparing him to Lenny "El Sanduche" Pasquerrelli. Let's all stop, take a deep breath, and remember the following:

1. This blog is the BEST source of Redskins info available.
2. If anything on this blog is wrong, you are guaranteed your money back.
3. JLC is REPORTING what he hears. So when he says, "two GMs expect Snyder to go for the Human Chin and Spit Machine" that's exactly what it means. There is an expectation in the league that Snyder is still as petulent and impatient as ever - i.e. a zebra doesn't change his stripes or whatever.
4. If you don't like what you're reading - GOOD. We have the best business owner in the league who has made this franchise incredibly profitable but has yet to develop the patience to produce a consistent winner and super bowl threat. I'm not happy about that either and I hope against all odds that the Danny has learned his lesson and will go with G Williams.
5. Gibbs II wasn't as good as Gibbs I (look at 2nd half stats) but he still left the franchise better than he found it. I applaud him for that. But he never took us to the promised land which was his STATED goal coming in. I won't criticize him for it but the truth is, we're what 16 seasons out from our last Super Bowl victory? As much as it hurts me to say this, he wasn't the hero we all wanted and expected him to be.
6. El Sanduche has had it out for the Redskins for a long time as he hates the owner. Please don't lump Jasno with El Sanduche. Jasno has criticized but in my opinion has remained incredibly neutral and objective on this blog. I'd love to pick his brain for an hour "off the record" but the bottom line is, he's no Pasquerelli.

I'm either for Williams or Grimm. But I prefer Grimm just so we can say, "Grimmmmyyyyy".

Posted by: sheidt99 | January 9, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Don't know if you guys have seen this one yet.

It's a nice summary of why Snyder should try to maintain the status-quo as much as possible. As well as reasons why he may not be able to do that!

Posted by: Redcoat | January 9, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

And did I see cHriS lArrY quoting Richard Simmons earlier on this thread?

I didn't know you were such a fan of a bubble-permed fat-burning maven cL?

Posted by: Redcoat | January 9, 2008 10:46 AM | Report abuse

daggar,

Just to keep up appearances, make that "Williams, Cowher, Grimm, and Unspecified Rooney Rule Candidate." Since it's the Redskins, I may try to find a well qualified Native American to interview.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | January 9, 2008 10:46 AM | Report abuse

I thought that article on yahoosports was amateurish, for what it's worth.

The average coaching tenure in the NFL is ...? My guess 4-5 years, if that. Change happens all the time. Free agency has guaranteed that too.

Posted by: carocanesfan | January 9, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

TE, so noted.

Posted by: daggar | January 9, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Look for the printed correction in about 16 days on Page A3.

Posted by: daggar | January 9, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

WATCH THE KORNHEISER VIDEO. HE IS CONVINCED THAT GWILLIAMS WILL NOT BE OUR HEAD COACH. HE REALLY THINKS THAT COWHER WIL BE PERSUADED TO COME TO D.C..
I THINK THEY SHOULD GIVE G WILLIAMS A ONE YEAR TRAIL RUN AND IF HE FALTERS THEN COWHER WILL BE READY TO COME OUT OF RETIREMENT

Posted by: jjwilson312003 | January 9, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

HI JJ HOW ARE YOU?

Posted by: daggar | January 9, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

GOOD DAGGER, WHATS UP?

Posted by: jjwilson312003 | January 9, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, those last couple of posts could be considered snarky.

Posted by: daggar | January 9, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

carocanesfan--

I think the Yahoo article was ghost written by Len Pasquarelli or by a high school junior who's willing to work for the experience. What is Yahoo sports, anyway?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | January 9, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

They should have Cowher and Gregg manboobs battle to the death. If they both die hire someone else. If none die then hire them both.

Posted by: sams3 | January 9, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

sheidt99, this blog is NOT the best source of Redskins info. I do not come here for Insider info - rather to converse with Skins fanatics such as myself.

Comcast Sportsnet has the BEST info. They actually have a relationship with the team, talk to the players, coaches, etc - have true inside information (as much as the team will allow). The local newspapers do not have that advantage.

Posted by: Lisa | January 9, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: sheidt99 | January 9, 2008 10:41 AM

Bro, you simply aren't paying much attention. Words like "neutral" and "objective" aren't even in the beat reporter's vocabulary. You must be out of your mind if you somehow believe he has remained "incredibly" neutral and objective. No beat reporter in this town in at least the last 20 years has has more of an agenda than JLC. None.

Go check out the Wizards or Nats blog if you want to see objectivity. Compare the way those teams are covered to the way JLC shapes his coverage. Guys like Ivan Carter and Michael Lee would never say something like this publicly: "This franchise went from 900 million to 1.5 billion since Gibbs came here in 2004. That's the bottom line here. [Snyder] is not gonna give [the head coaching job] to someone that doesn't have that big name, that sex appeal, who is not going to help him sell club level seats, and expensive suites." -beat reporter JLC

JLC is the bottom of the barrel "journalist" who thinks of himself more as a budding columnist than as an actual reporter. He simply doesn't know his place.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 9, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

They don't call us coked up hamsters for nothing!

Posted by: Dorf | January 9, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | January 9, 2008 08:44 AM

What'd you expect? He thinks Tom Cruise is a good actor.

Posted by: mtnskinsfan | January 9, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Wow Barno, pretty rough. I will say that I see things mainly through burgundy colored glasses, but don't often find much to disagree with in Jason's comennts/posts/articles. He is alot closer to the action than we are, and if he quotes guys without mentioning their names, so what? It's not like he's making it up. If he was really just a POS reporter, I doubt he would be working for the Washington Post, and often appear on Comcast discussions. Again, I pretty much agree with most of his stuff, and don't interpret anything as coming slanted from a Ravens fan, or Skin hater's perspective. Just me though. If you don't like him, fine, I just don't think he warrants being deemed bottom of the barrel.

Posted by: dlhaze | January 9, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Isn't that axe sharp yet Barno? Yet again you're using very selective arguments and half-truths (at best) to try to hide your animosity to Jasno in a cloak of legitimacy. You just need to knock that stuff off man, it'll eat you alive.

If you are naive enough to think that Snyder is a fan first and a businessman second then you're going to get your heart broken again.

Of course Snyder is a fan, but I believe he has debt payments to service on the Redskins. Banks don't take "fan approval IOUs" as payment, they take cold, hard, cash.

Joe Bugel would probably be the closest thing to Gibbs as coach if you truly want continuity above all else. Would you really want him to take over?

The players will naturally want 'continuity' - whatever the heck that means - as anything else means potential upheaval for them and their families. That's why they shouldn't get a vote, Snyder needs to make the decision that is best for the future of his business and that may NOT be what's best for the players. I think OldSchool wisely said it once: root for the team, not the players.

I'm not saying Cowher will end up your new HC, but you're more of a fool than I thought you were if you don't believe he will be SERIOUSLY considered. Frankly, anything else would be a dereliction of Snyder's fiduciary duty to his business.

Posted by: Redcoat | January 9, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

I still think they should go with Williams. But another coach that I haven't seen mentioned is Jeff Tedford of Cal. He's been a winner everywhere he's been (Fresno St., Oregon?, and Cal). He's also been pretty good w/QB's though none of his QB's have done much of anything in the pros yet (i.e., Akili Smith, David Carr, GB's backup). He's probably not a big enough splash for Snyder but who knows.

Posted by: mtnskinsfan | January 9, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

My thoughts on Coach Gibbs..

It is a sad day around here. As a 67-year-old diabetic who rarely sees his family during the season, Coach Gibbs left at the right time for him. He knows no other way to coach, but to devote 100% of himself to the effort. He rarely sees his family during the season, spending most nights in his office pouring over film and game plans, eating candy bars just to stay awake.

Even the second time around he made his mark. Though he did not win three Super Bowls with three different quarterbacks (none of which are in the Hall of Fame) this time around, he returned to a league that was nothing like the pre-free agency, pre-salary cap, NFL he left behind after his first coaching stint in Washington and motivated a new breed of players, coaches, and front office personnel to perform their jobs at higher levels than each thought possible. He took a team of overpaid, under-performing, past-their-prime egos and left us a core of young, talented, inexpensive guys to build our franchise around for seasons to come who will forever be better players and people for having played for Coach Joe Gibbs.

No one could have handled the events that transpired this season better than he did. Most franchises would have folded and been set back years, but Joe saw the organization through the trying times and took us to the playoffs. He left a mark on each person he encountered while coaching the burgundy & gold and those people are quick to acknowledge the positive effect that Coach Gibbs had on their careers and lives. Above all else, he leaves behind a serious contender, and that all we could ask for. We will miss you, Joe. Hail!

Posted by: stuttskt | January 9, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

It's nice to see EVERYONE, sportswriters, Skins fans and even fans of other teams, ripping Lenny the Hutt a massive new one for that delusional, self-satisfied drivel he wrote yesterday.

Boo this man.

Posted by: PBL4 | January 9, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Now that Toddcoat is back to Redcoat he is mean as hell.

Posted by: sams3 | January 9, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

If you think that Comcast and their formal relationship with the Redskins makes them MORE objective then you're from the looney bin, eh?

Like it or not, Jasno's assessment is objective. He doesn't have it out for the owner or the team (in fact, I think he has genuine affection for the team). But only someone living in a closet would look at the Owner and think that he's suddenly changed his stripes. Now, it MAY be that he has. I mean, Hillary did win last night, right? But just like no one predicted that she would have won, no one in the media world has the jeuvos to predict that Snyder has suddenly decided to change in midstream and opt for consistency.

At any rate, I find it incredible that so many people are ignoring history and accusing Jasno of bias and a lack of objectivity. Just because you don't like what he's saying, doesn't mean he's not objective. But, like in all things, time will tell.

Posted by: sheidt99 | January 9, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Barno, did Janso not buy you a drink or something last friday...jaysis you gotta h*rd-on for that dude...you remind me of Jack Black's character in the movie "Bob Roberts" If I didnt know better I would think you were a parody...

Redcoat, when did I quote Richard Simmons?!?!

Posted by: chrislarry | January 9, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Well said Redcoat.

There have to be better things in life to get worked up over than the "beat reporter" for an NFL team. The vitriol being spewed up here is unbecoming.

Cowher is absolutely being considered. And I wouldn't be surprised if "Mr." Snyder parked Redskins One in Raleigh for the next couple of days. Cowher's track record as a head coach indicates that he will in all probability win games for this franchise. As much as I hope Gregg Williams gets the job, nothing in his coaching background indicates with any degree of certainty that he will be any more successful as a head coach the second time around.

Posted by: PDiddy | January 9, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

The last thing Snyder should do is bring in another college coach...it just does not work. Hopefully he learned in lesson during the Spurrier experiment.

Posted by: Lisa | January 9, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

If only Jasno can be as objective in covering the 'Skins as Barno is in his description of Jasno. . .

Is the collection still going on so we can get Barno that CD?

Posted by: NCICURN | January 9, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Hail to Joe Gibbs who taught our team to be competetive and may have taught the fans a little about life, especially what is important and what is not important. The Redskins are a football team I love but they are not the most important thing in my life. Joe deserve to be with his children and grandchildren. I hope he has a long long time with them.

Posted by: rmoore | January 9, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Redcoat | January 9, 2008 11:24 AM

Redcoat,

I think you need to change to the past tense. Not "it'll eat you alive" but "it ate you alive."

Barno,

You need to adjust the dosage of your medication.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | January 9, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

For Barno, typing is therapy.
For Jasno, typing is the enemy.

I would think we would all understand about the myth of objectivity by now. Objectivity is an impossible standard. Everyone has their own preferences, biases, and perceptions that shape what they say, do, and even write.
Jasno has the advantage of talking to a bunch of people who actually act upon and can influence some of the plans and decisions that are underway, but they also have biases, preferences, and perceptions. And Jasno is filtering some of those.
This makes his writing interesting, insightful, but never gospel.
And it's fun thinking of the a$$-whuppin' the keyboard lays on him every time he approaches the computer.

Posted by: daggar | January 9, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Lisa,

If you don't think Janso has legit sources in organization the size of the redskins working for one of the most important beats in one of the most powerful papers in the world...

Who would you a trust, a independent paper covering City Hall that had a sometimes adversarial relationship with the Mayor or a new bulletin publication published by said city hall? Its the same thing...

No wonder this country has allowed and accepts so much corporate controlled media.

Posted by: chrislarry | January 9, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

If I have to choose between Jasno's spelling and looking at Kelli Johnson, Comcast wins every time.

Posted by: Original_etrod | January 9, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

I also think if you look back on Jasno's work, you'll see a lot of investigative journalism that turned out right, some which turned out wrong, and his fair share of puff pieces designed to tell the "human" side of a player, team, or member of the organization.

To focus on the stuff you don't want to hear, don't like, or which turns out wrong is to ignore the other stuff he does.

Heck, that Gregg Williams puff piece right before the Seattle game in which Jasno quoted Jeff Fisher was quite impressive, and very favorable to the team. After all, Jasno was able to get access to Fisher for a piece unrelated to the Titans in the weeks during which the Titans were fighting and/or preparing for their own playoffs. There was no shared byline, meaning that was all Jasno. Like I said, impressive.

Posted by: PDiddy | January 9, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Bucket of cold water time.

The coach question is secondary.

Gibbs' much more important job title was "president." He wasn't able to transform the Redskins dysfunctional organizational culture, but he was able to ride herd on Danny.

No one else will be able to do that.

So it's going to be back to the Danny and Vinny show. The coach, whoever he is, will operate within--more precisely, under--that structure.

Thus no Cowher unless he pulls a Spurrier and sells his soul for clams. And we know how that worked.

If anything, Danny now has more confidence that he has matured, that he's gained insight, that his basic approach was right. Gibbs, masterful manager of people that he is, certainly never actually got in Danny's face and said "STFU, rich boy." Instead, he flattered and flattered and flattered (amid much giggling) to get his way.

That is not a knock on Joe--you've got to work with the people you have, especially if they are your boss!

Now Danny is left with gauzy memories of what might have been, and a sense of his own essential grasp of football operations. Joe validated him as well as taught him, he believes. Besides, he cares so much!

This is gonna suck for us fans all over again.

Where's that frigging blog table? 1-A and 2-A again and again and again.

Posted by: farstriker | January 9, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

I like Cowher but he has only won one Super Bowl. His teams have been competitive but also seems to fall short. Williams, although he did not bode well in Buffalo, can continue the continuity that Gibbs started. I'm afraid if Cowher get's in here, it's starting back at step one and we have 2-3 years of transitioning to go through.

Joe Gibbs, thanks for what you have been able to do in your second stint. I started going to the games as a little kid in the late 60's ( with my own belt buckle too) and have seen the team through too many less than spectacular years. Since Gibbs left the first time it has been painful to be a Redskins Fan until he came back for round two.

Hail to Joe Gibbs~

Posted by: joecamarol34 | January 9, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

If Williams is not the HC next season you can count on a lose of confidence from the players perspective... It is obvious they want Williams as their coach and I don't think that should be taken for granted...

Posted by: trailblazer658 | January 9, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: farstriker | January 9, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

sams3, I hope I'm not being mean. I haven't met Barno, but I have enjoyed many of his posts as both thoughtful and funny.

But, for some reason (I have no idea whether it really is to do with the whole "Heavy Metal Parking Lot" fiasco or not, and don't actually care) he is stuck on "calling out" Jasno on his journalistic credentials. Apart from his fractured grammar and breathtakingly bad spelling at times, I have never seen anything from Jasno that justified Barno's accusations.

If I'd got myself stuck on something the way that Barno has, I would hope that someone would call me out on it too. It's pretty hard to see when you've lost your objectivity, one often needs a nudge from outside to get it back, that's all.

And cL, I was messing with you; it was Russell Simmons you quoted, but I couldn;t resist twisting it a bit.

Posted by: Redcoat | January 9, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

sheidt99, you are the one in the looney bin if you think Jason has an affection for the team. Obviously, you have not been on this blog long.

Posted by: Lisa | January 9, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: trailblazer658 | January 9, 2008 11:53 AM

Agreed, but why do they want Williams? Is it for the good of the franchise or for their own good? If Cowher comes, a bunch of them will be off the gravy train next year or the year after. I think a lot of guys would have to take a pay cut or be gone under Cowher, and they won't find anyone else who will pay them like Gibbs paid them. Remember, Cowher already dumped ARE once.

I'm not saying Cowher, and I'm not saying Williams, but I am saying that the players' support should not guide Snyder's choice.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | January 9, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

When I search for 'Redskins Insider' on the Washington Post, this is what comes up:

"Redskins Insider
News, thoughts and comments on the Redskins from The Post's Jason La Canfora."

You don't agree with his thoughts and comments Barno, so be it. It's his blog, his thoughts, his comments. And yes, Jasno does have 'sources' just like every other journalist out there. You and others act like he's the only one to ever quote 'anonymous sources'. It's the nature of the job. (Trust me, I live it every day, as I let slip the other day and dcsween called me on it!). But Barno, you strike me as someone who would rather get his 'news' from the "fair and balanced" channel. They certainly don't have an agenda, right?

Posted by: 4-12 | January 9, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

In the four years with Gibbs we've seen changes in the way Snyder's team is being run. There's been a shift in emphasis from Free Agents to draft picks. This year we'll have almost the entire complement of picks. And with the picks they have had, they've done a pretty good job of picking. Also, 2007 free agent signings were the best - Smoot and Fletcher being great additions. Hopefully Gibbs as a consultant can help keep Snyder on this track. It may be they've learned which scouts to listen to. If Snyder has learned his lessons from Gibbs there's no need for a GM, but I don't know how big an if that is.

In 2007 the biggest improvement was with the defense. The FA additions, better depth, improvement by the second year players on the line. But also the elevation of Olivadotti to LB coach may have played a big role. The LBs all played great in 2007, even if Marcus seemed less than he had been.

On offense we learned we have a great back-up QB perfectly suited to the system. The problem was the OL, even if improved depth made the line better than it would have been in any previous year if we'd had those injuries. In fact, in 2005 we saw what lack of depth on the OL can do to you. But we saw in 2006 what the line can do when healthy - what Al Saunder's offense can do with a top notch OL.

We're not that far away. More depth on the OL is needed. We need some big bruisers at OG who can really move people out and create holes fast. In 2006 they were creating holes fast and Betts was hitting them fast. It's great that Portis shows patience at times, but against a fast defense you have to hit the hole fast and get into the secondary fast.

Bottom line, we have to keep Wms and Saunders. Make Wms HC and make Saunders happy. Keep the team together. Besides, if the players don't like the new HC they may not be so willing to restructure their contracts. (Hopefully Snyder will be smart enough to see the players have some leverage there.)

I'm afraid that if Gregg is not the new HC then the team is going to get blown up.

Posted by: skinfanman | January 9, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

If the players want continuity they have to understand that all of the pressure is on them next year. No excuses for Portis showing up out of shape or Moss dropping passes or Daniels only managing 2.5 sacks, etc. If the coaches they want stay, they need to start off better than 5-7. Hopefully they won't struggle early again, because if they do, look out below. Big difference struggling under Gibbs than struggling under Williams.

Posted by: curtmcgurt | January 9, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Going after Cowher reminds me too much of going after Norval & Spurrier. Big names and big expectations, followed by big failure. Let's take a deep breath before starting another rebuilding with the biggest names out there.

Gibbs 2.0 was a success, mainly in the sense of building a cohesive, competitive team out of a bunch of individuals. Schottenheimer would likely have accomplished this if he had been given another year or two. Gibbs also made the team younger. But innovative play-calling and half-time adjustments? Not so much.

Williams has proven to be very innovative, and the players seem to trust and like him already. I don't know about Grimm as a head coach, I'm not sure about burned-out Cowher either.

IMHO, innovation and game-time managament is the next step to building a solid winner here (along with upgrading the O-line and D-line).

Logic dictates Williams be given first dibbs at the top slot.

Posted by: Alan4 | January 9, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

...I, personally, have always liked Dan Snyder, but watching him on TV yesterday made me think that he's his own worst spokesman. He comes across as gruff, authoritarian, arrogant, harsh, petty and unlikable. And it wasn't what he said, but the way he said it.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | January 9, 2008 08:44 AM

Heard Steve Buckhantz(sp?) yesterday on WTEM say that Gibbs told him privately that he took lessons on public speaking (and that it was very lucrative for him). If you noticed that's why Gibbs 2.0 gestures wildly and has that maniacal Horseshack laugh that he didn't do last go round. He said they taught him to be more demonstrative. $nyder would never be perceived as approachable or warm and fuzzy--even if he dressed up in a Winnie the Pooh outfit.

Posted by: nojunk4me | January 9, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

I agree Alan. If you bring in an outsider, there's disruption all around. The biggest concern would be if this new HC keeps Saunders around. The O is just starting to click and if Campbell studies as hard this offseason as he did last, I can't help but think that there's good things in store for that side of the ball next year with the system intact and a few personnel tweaks.

Also, with GG's ego, would he really coach effectively under Cowher or the unproven Grimm? Doubtful.

The idea of Cowher storming the sideline at FedEx and spraying everyone as he repeatedly screams "Let'sthth Go!" has zero appeal for me.

Give GG his shot. He was humbled last year and responded well.

Does anyone know if GG can walk if he doesn't get the HC job? That would be a huge blow to the D.

Posted by: jeffhayes | January 9, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Promote Gregg Williams to Head Coach, fire Saunders, hire Russ Grimm as offensive coordinator, and keep Joe Bugel as offensive line coach.

Posted by: GBroder17 | January 9, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

I think Snyder has gone back to his old ways. He should hire a head coach first and let him hire his staff. Sure he's the owner....Let the football people handle the club....let Cerrato go, maybe he's the yes man.....

Posted by: tennisbear369 | January 27, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse